[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Guardian 镇魂

sugarplum892

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone watched up till ep10 (eng sub)? 

In ep9 and ep10, ZYL had a flashback. At first looks like a hostage situation but then in ep10, showed the viewers his father. Its like when he took out the gun, the flashback came. SW as black coat somewhat like mentioned that the gun belong to ZYL father. 

On 6/25/2018 at 11:42 AM, meifang89 said:

Hi! We met again here :lol:

Those stares aren't like brotherhood to me ;) Zhu Yilong acted well you can feel the longing emanating from his eyes...

I wish someone will translate the novel :confounded:

Meifang so am I meeting you here!! (RuiWen missed them) I actually watch until this morning episode 22. Hahaha... Getting exciting about this new series...  Meifang may I ask you have this novel? Or have you read it? 

On 7/4/2018 at 1:11 PM, fuucuncui said:

I wonder why this drama is not hot with Soompi-ers. Despite the low budget, this drama is good in terms of plot, OST, and actors. Besides the two main chars, other actors/actresses are really good as well. 

P/S: If anyone would like to work with me to translate all of Zhu Yi Long and Baiyu interview/live stream, please let me know. I'm not a native Chinese speaker but I can understand 80% of the interviews. 

I would like to but how can I help? (Only if you need to write Chinese characters I am unable. I can translate when they speak Chinese to English only. 

53 minutes ago, RPM said:

36588623_282585222486448_364376220280186:joy:

I had to contain myself from giggling.. Going so near to SW face and then pretending to blow the dust off SW face. hahhahhahhaha. 

I have watched up to ep13.. And ZYL is very smart. Not only he pretended to be hypnotized but to find ways for SW to reveal his real self.

Waiting for eng sub for ep14.. 

oh gosh, this is my first bromance drama and i already hooked up with this drama. and gosh they guy with glasses and the other guys with goatee beardy are very adorable <3

imo, the guy with a beardy i think as a female lead here hahaha and the guy with glasses the female lead. I support the " rainbow" thou but my mind found the beardy guy is the female side xD 

I'm in love with this drama, I already watched 4 episodes and love it..

Sorry if I bother but I have question! is this  drama support gay or having any gay scene? 

My friend told me that but I said NO! 

so tell me if I'm right or wrong? I believe it is only BROMANCE

@ruzikie  I laughed out loud at how you said you think the beardy guy as the 'female' lead. In a way, you are kind of right. In the novel, when their relationship is BL, the professor (the guy with the glasses) is the dominated one lol

@bexyahmed The drama is filmed as 'Bromance' due to china restriction. However, it is based on a novel that is BL (boy love). Therefore, there is the essence of the novel in their characters and if you are a fan of the novel, you can see and feel it if you look close enough but there won't be anything over the line and mostly it is represented as 'Bromance'

It is pretty funny if you read some of the comments on Weibo for people who are shipping them. They are being very upbeat and positive about this 'bromance' relationship when they all know the novel and what it truly mean but they can't say it out loud because they are afraid it will get complaint and pull off air. 

2 hours ago, BreezeC said:

@ruzikie  I laughed out loud at how you said you think the beardy guy as the 'female' lead. In a way, you are kind of right. In the novel, when their relationship is BL, the professor (the guy with the glasses) is the dominated one lol

@bexyahmed The drama is filmed as 'Bromance' due to china restriction. However, it is based on a novel that is BL (boy love). Therefore, there is the essence of the novel in their characters and if you are a fan of the novel, you can see and feel it if you look close enough but there won't be anything over the line and mostly it is represented as 'Bromance'

It is pretty funny if you read some of the comments on Weibo for people who are shipping them. They are being very upbeat and positive about this 'bromance' relationship when they all know the novel and what it truly mean but they can't say it out loud because they are afraid it will get complaint and pull off air. 

Thanks for the info. I watch until Episode 27 this morning. Let me say yesterday at Episode 25 and at video 18:10 the invertor guy says to beardy guy you want all of us here to be having split characters so that "you and Shen Teacher can be together" (I looking at the Screen and I laugh out loud!!)  Anyone here notice what invertor guy saying implying on...

NOTE: Anyone knows which episode the Bed Scene (both main characters?) 

I saw the preview and the Black Robe guy seems to be injured by the white hair mask man. Anyone knows the ending is it happy??  I hope not Sad ending. 

On 7/2/2018 at 8:12 AM, dzareth said:

I guess my original confusion is how much BL has to be toned down to pass Chinese censorship and how much "affection" do they allow to call a show bromance. Whenever someone says bromance, the show that comes to my mind are like Lord of the Rings, Avengers, Justice Bao and any show that typically portray strong male camaraderie.

Guardian has gone way over bromance with the acting. But because China won't allow explicit showing of ZYL-SW relationship as per novel, I wonder if they would allow implicit showing of the nature of the relationship. I would still be willing to watch the show without intimate scenes and I will still call it a BL drama rather than a bromance drama.

i agree with your definition of bromance. there's a different western fandom term for what's happening with Guardian and all the drama series adapted from BL source material: queerbaiting

about how much BL is allowed, i think dramas can hint quite a bit with physical contact and ~staring~, as long as the admission that the relationship is romantic/sexual is never made. I saw a webseries last year that, after struggling with censorship for over a year, managed to get in one "I love you" line in the last episode. funnily, the character couldn't even say it out loud, he was just thinking about it in his head. but i could tell the production crew really tried their darnest to retain that one line in just to give viewers some sort of confirmation, and props to them for that seriously lol.

Ya...i read some of weibo comments...for example, under any pic or clip where the 2 chars show abit of "love",  the actors' fans would quickly post "what good brothers or buddies they are" or "see the right virtues the chars are showing as in sacrificing for your friends"...haha. I think as much as they love the chemistry btw the actors, they fear any negativity would affect the actors' image and career too...u know like Addicted/Heroin.

Saw this. So one had watched from afar how the other reborn, grow up many lifetimes....this time the latter has grabbed his hand...

4563e185ly1ft6av9cqt2j20jg4vj7wh.jpg

13 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Ya...i read some of weibo comments...for example, under any pic or clip where the 2 chars show abit of "love",  the actors' fans would quickly post "what good brothers or buddies they are" or "see the right virtues the chars are showing as in sacrificing for your friends"...haha. I think as much as they love the chemistry btw the actors, they fear any negativity would affect the actors' image and career too...u know like Addicted/Heroin.

When addicted was On Air Something happened that time......?

Trending on weibo

5 hours ago, RPM said:

When addicted was On Air Something happened that time......?

Spoiler

U don't know? The 2 leads of Addicted got too popular (with BL fans)....at least what the china media dept (whatever it's called) think so, fear their influence...and so set many restrictions....eg the show was taken offline, the 2 leads couldn't appear on any TV variety shows (for a long while), even for overseas or private events, the 2 leads can't appear together. Of course some said it's b'cos of their own agencies' decision....well, i only know abit, so can't be 100% sure....but i believe the popularity of that show did start some changes in china govt's "restricting" attitude towards BL dramas at that time.

2 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:
  Hide contents

U don't know? The 2 leads of Addicted got too popular (with BL fans)....at least what the china media dept (whatever it's called) think so, fear their influence...and so set many restrictions....eg the show was taken offline, the 2 leads couldn't appear on any TV variety shows (for a long while), even for overseas or private events, the 2 leads can't appear together. Of course some said it's b'cos of their own agencies' decision....well, i only know abit, so can't be 100% sure....but i believe the popularity of that show did start some changes in china govt's "restricting" attitude towards BL dramas at that time.

Oh I see, thanks for explaining. I only know season 2 was canceled. 

I am watching until Episode 29 of Guardian anyone knows when episode 30 coming out? I thought every Wed and Thurs 3 episodes?? 

Archived