[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Guardian 镇魂

sugarplum892

8 hours ago, moon-flower said:

@cherylrose Epilogue 4 is posted on Priest's weibo: https://www.weibo.com/u/1796258175?from=myfollow_all

Epilogue 1, 2, and 3 can be found if you search for 镇魂小说 via baidu.com. It's the first link. I'm not sure if I can post the link here since the official link is through another website where you have to pay per chapter. =X

Epilogue 1 is the one where Shen Wei was hospitalized, woke up, went to Yun Lan to beg for forgiveness because he tried and erased Yun Lan's memory. I didn't really read Epilogue 2, not too many of our OTP moments so I skipped it. Epilogue 3 is definitely the one you should read. Super cute. They got a new office close by Shen Wei's University, much bigger, has a veggie garden, Shen Wei picks up Yun Lan after work :heart:. Shen Wei and Yun Lan shares some cute banter. It's honestly way too cute. Super happy ending. Literally no complaints. I posted a summary a few pages (?) back. I would translate this but my Chinese to English is not the greatest. lol. 

I actually was expecting Epilogue 4 to be like Epilogue 3 with a bit more banter and sweetness, and honestly maybe I am being greedy, was hoping for a bit more sweet scenes. But oh well. It is still a happy ending. My all time favorite is still Epilogue 3. 

@valerie86 Yeah, the Royal Sister Returns' ending is not the greatest. (like all Chinese drama endings!) The drama went south towards the end and a bit melodramatic, but thought overall was kind of a fun watch. The beginning especially was hilarious. Hoping Long Ge's new drama will be good. I am thinking of maybe watching Bai Yu's memory lost...tho the plot is kind of ehhh. Bai Yu is going to be in Fated General but I don't know if he's second lead? Zhang Rou Yun is leading in that one unless they'll be co-lead. Bai Yu also has Zhao Ge coming out but he's listed as supporting with Zhang Zhe Han "leading" apparently -*MAJOR eye roll*-. 

You should watch Bai Yu's Memory Lost.. When I first watched it, I was like ah, both of them are soo annoying. But then i continued watching the series and I can't help smiling their childishness attacking each other. 

Don't read the plot, you have watch at least 2/3 episodes to know you want to continue watching or not. 

I think Bai Yu's character in Fated General one of the main characters.  But not the hero. 

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, aurorail said:

Sorry for my poor expression ability. orz

valerie86 is right. In  epilogue 4, after ZYL and SW died in the drama, which is necessary to break the time capsule, they manage to get back to the novel timeline and live happily together ever since.  XD

So the author includes drama in the world of novel, and gives them a final happy ending.

I see. 

53 minutes ago, valerie86 said:

@cheryl 

I am sooo 100 percent sure  there will be no special episodes after ep 40, cause filming already wrapped up July last year =)     (Except the  fan made edited videos)

Long ge also busy shooting dramas now . No time for reshooting guardian maybe  hehe

Oh... Maybe they film it but hidden from us... If Fans demand maybe the Special Episodes will come out. Remember I say that if Fans demand the producer, scriptwriter, even Author have to continue. Because the "Uncontrolled Love" they film the Happy Ending after the Filming ended Fans were angry because the poor Xiao Nian died in car accident thus the Author, Producer, scriptwriter they re-write for a happy ending. This is after High Popular demand. Thus like I say we Fans can wait for Long Ge and Bai Yu to film for Happy Ending. (Anyone with me????) 

I'd love a happy ending. But in this case i feel like it is more important for BY/ZYL to move forward with their careers, now that opportunity is shining on them. Uncontrolled Love didn't have the same kind of impact on their actors' career the way Guardian had on theirs. So within this short time frame, I'd prefer that they just leave us at that.

However, several years into the future, once their careers have stabilise and command star power, i hope producers would look into reuniting the two in a better reincarnation of characters with a stronger story, budget and ending.

Just imagine letting things die down and suddenly BAM!! KL/ZYL and SW returns :wub:

1 hour ago, dzareth said:

I'd love a happy ending. But in this case i feel like it is more important for BY/ZYL to move forward with their careers, now that opportunity is shining on them. Uncontrolled Love didn't have the same kind of impact on their actors' career the way Guardian had on theirs. So within this short time frame, I'd prefer that they just leave us at that.

However, several years into the future, once their careers have stabilise and command star power, i hope producers would look into reuniting the two in a better reincarnation of characters with a stronger story, budget and ending.

Just imagine letting things die down and suddenly BAM!! KL/ZYL and SW returns :wub:

Dzareth I mention we Fans are willing to wait, if you says future but you also must think both their age is not far apart only 2 years different and I think if we Fans wait I am willing to wait for 3 to 5 years if more then that the Fans might be hungry till dead... The thing is now this Drama is "Hot" on fire that's how both of them got Popular and how did Long Ge got Firs place!! This is something if Producer, scriptwriter, author create opportunity of being more famous and win more Fans and the thing they produce have performance gain why not??? (being hidden gem is to shine correct??) "I mean in their acting" this Guardian may not be perfect Bai Yu mentioned it in the interview. I think to have happy ending will have more impact on the further improvement. Not that about other things. 

KDramas are different because they're being filmed co-currently with screenings, they are writing the story as the first episodes are coming out on tv, and they often make changes. That's why they hadn't even closed production for a long time and could make a special episode. It's different in China. They filmed Guardian 2017 from april for 3 months. Now all the actors are filming new things. That means it would be a huge endeavor to do a special episode. They also changed the laws in China, probably for the better but it depends on how much black deals will still remain, so that main leads payments are tied to total production costs and other actors wages with certain maximum percentages allowed. That means they can't for example pay huge amounts for the two leads to seduce them to come back, while keeping other production costs low. Again, this is more a good thing in my opinion, but could still affect special episodes like this. 

If ZYL and BY could make like some sort of youtube video like thing filmed on a smartphone where they just get in character as Shen Wei and Zhao Yun Lan and pretend to meet again, that would be fantastic though. I'm not sure about legalities in China, but I believe stuff like this is way easier to do in China than in the west.

Episode 36 out with english subtitles. Seems I was roughly correct about the 10 years thing. Zhao Yun Lan's real dad is massively unpleasant. The alien is much nicer. And of course as always they treat scientists as out of control crazy people. 

@cherylrose, while i understand your meaning, i hold a different view mainly because what "pulled" me to Guardian is effectively the 2 leads. I stayed with the drama because the BY and ZYL managed to capture my attention. When i first watched the series, i didn't know what it was about. But the 2 actors made me want to know more about the story. So despite the (lets be honest here...) crappiness of the live action version - jagged storyline, weak editing, bad special effect, bad acting (side characters) etc, i faithfully held on. I was crazy about Guardian MORE than Secretary Kim, which is like THE series of the moment!

As Guardian progressed from ep 1 to ep 40, all those weak factors became more prominent, and i personally thought the ending was one of the laziest ending one can ever have in a drama (with the space wormhole, lollipop wrapper etc). As a viewer i felt absolutely betrayed when the acting that went from strength to strength was treated in such a manner. Because clearly the actors were focused on their performance even though everything around them was falling apart. And because of that, i want to keep the memory of that performance. Maybe the problems on set was what made the performance special hehe... 

Again, i too would love a happy ending, but i fear revisiting SW/ZYL too soon kind of make this version that i love/hate so much would make the earlier episodes forgettable. Besides, i see the tv version as separate from Priest's novel due to the removal of the supernatural contents which i feel is the biggest factor that affected the story.

I am unable to trust the current production company with additional episodes as they butchered the original story so much. And if a new company takes over, i might view them as greedy people capitalising on the show's/actors popularity.

ZYL and BY indeed isn't getting younger. But if they maintain/ improve their craft, you bet I'll keep watching them even when they are old and wrinkly.

Entertainment business is a tough business, now that the two are in the centre of focus, i hope they get better roles in better production. A happy Guardian ending should not be a priority at this point of time.

But of course, feel free to disagree :)

22 minutes ago, siobhanne said:

If ZYL and BY could make like some sort of youtube video like thing filmed on a smartphone where they just get in character as Shen Wei and Zhao Yun Lan and pretend to meet again, that would be fantastic though

Oooo.... I'd love that. Something voluntarily from the actors. :wub:

8 hours ago, siobhanne said:

KDramas are different because they're being filmed co-currently with screenings, they are writing the story as the first episodes are coming out on tv, and they often make changes. That's why they hadn't even closed production for a long time and could make a special episode. It's different in China. They filmed Guardian 2017 from april for 3 months. Now all the actors are filming new things. That means it would be a huge endeavor to do a special episode. They also changed the laws in China, probably for the better but it depends on how much black deals will still remain, so that main leads payments are tied to total production costs and other actors wages with certain maximum percentages allowed. That means they can't for example pay huge amounts for the two leads to seduce them to come back, while keeping other production costs low. Again, this is more a good thing in my opinion, but could still affect special episodes like this. 

If ZYL and BY could make like some sort of youtube video like thing filmed on a smartphone where they just get in character as Shen Wei and Zhao Yun Lan and pretend to meet again, that would be fantastic though. I'm not sure about legalities in China, but I believe stuff like this is way easier to do in China than in the west.

Episode 36 out with english subtitles. Seems I was roughly correct about the 10 years thing. Zhao Yun Lan's real dad is massively unpleasant. The alien is much nicer. And of course as always they treat scientists as out of control crazy people. 

Siobhanne and dzareth, It is true now they can demand for higher salary. But if it is not for "Guardian" do you think they can get this popularity?? Since they try many dramas and Long Ge takes 10 years only until Guardian he has this opportunity to shine thus I personally thinks they will make an exceptional if to do a special episode even not highly paid don't forget other dramas/movie they can get alot more yes again Fans demand would make support them for more and doing a special episode for Fans they both will be happy to do so because without Fans they do any show/drama/movie also no one knows about them. (I still thinks the Special Episodes is based on Fans demand! This is what makes them popular!!) 

Wow! I finally have a chance to finish epilogue 4 and I just love this author!!! She had completed this book in 2013 and after so many years, she can still give us such an amazing wrap up for both the drama and the novel. I am still impressed with how she managed to keep the feel/theme of the original novel and created a whole new "concept" to encompass/explain/help 'save' the drama by writing this terrific epilogue. She managed to explained why ZYL is so weak in the drama because in the first 80 micro-universe, he had "used up" all of his most powerful possessions. His whip as weapon, his soul storing watch, his blood, his bones, his god power...so for the last time, he "used up" his life and broke free. It make sooo much sense to explain all the illogical and frustration in the drama. By doing this epilogue, I see what a brilliant author she is and I will definitely check out her other books. Btw, I see some fans are saying the last bit about ZYL and SW going on vacation and ZYL chasing after SW to change into floral short are reflection to the song Zhu Yi Long and Bai Yu's sang on Happy Camp where it mentioned they are taking a vacation and the 5 mins PK of taking off their clothes. If that is really what the author is reflecting, that means the author is also following the news of both of these actors...so cute...

By reading this epilogue, it is the highest recognition from the author who created these characters to confirm Zhu Yi Long and Bai Yu abilities to bring her characters to life. So happy for them!!!    

@cherylrose, while you view fans played a huge part in tbeir skyrocketing popularity thus deserve the satisfaction of a special episode, i feel dumbfounded that such good actors has been off the radar for so long and i want to see more of their works. I don't care much about the kind of popularity they are receiving right now because it is fleeting.

Besides, popularity is not necessarily a good thing. There has been some negative news regarding Zhu Yilong's management and over enthusiastic fans (causing disruption).

35 minutes ago, dzareth said:

@cherylrose, while you view fans played a huge part in tbeir skyrocketing popularity thus deserve the satisfaction of a special episode, i feel dumbfounded that such good actors has been off the radar for so long and i want to see more of their works. I don't care much about the kind of popularity they are receiving right now because it is fleeting.

Besides, popularity is not necessarily a good thing. There has been some negative news regarding Zhu Yilong's management and over enthusiastic fans (causing disruption).

I agree with you. However, I am actually not dumbfounded that such good actors are off the radar for so long because we are talking about the entertainment business where actors/actresses who can't act are getting better opportunities than others. Popularity is a huge part of it and it is not a bad thing but when it happened over night like Zhu Yi Long, it is not a good thing. I am seeing a lot of hater out there (I heard it is professional hired help to tarnish his name) because of jealous and very crazy fans that are basically stalking him. His studio had to post a statement a few days ago and yesterday Bai Yu had to do the same thing. I saw some of the clips and it looked very scary. Poor Zhu Yi Long was surrounded and he looked like a lost lamb in the crowd. 

As you said @dzareth popularity is fleeting and I don't want this to affect them in their personal life and their works. As their fan, I have been digging up all their previous dramas (I think I am almost 90% done watching everything Zhu Yi Long starred in) and I am waiting impatiently for their upcoming dramas. :D

24 minutes ago, BreezeC said:

I agree with you. However, I am actually not dumbfounded that such good actors are off the radar for so long because we are talking about the entertainment business where actors/actresses who can't act are getting better opportunities than others. Popularity is a huge part of it and it is not a bad thing but when it happened over night like Zhu Yi Long, it is not a good thing. I am seeing a lot of hater out there (I heard it is professional hired help to tarnish his name) because of jealous and very crazy fans that are basically stalking him. His studio had to post a statement a few days ago and yesterday Bai Yu had to do the same thing. I saw some of the clips and it looked very scary. Poor Zhu Yi Long was surrounded and he looked like a lost lamb in the crowd. 

As you said @dzareth popularity is fleeting and I don't want this to affect them in their personal life and their works. As their fan, I have been digging up all their previous dramas (I think I am almost 90% done watching everything Zhu Yi Long starred in) and I am waiting impatiently for their upcoming dramas. :D

@BreezeC

I know I also see the video of Long ge looks like lost lamb, that's really not good I feel sympathetic, he was almost like being harassed by the crazy fans :( 

By the way I am terrible in reading chinese characters/ news, what did the statement that Long Ge and Bai Yu issued?

Was the statement asking for fans to give the stars more respects  / space when they appear in public places? 

2 hours ago, cherylrose said:

Siobhanne and dzareth, It is true now they can demand for higher salary. But if it is not for "Guardian" do you think they can get this popularity?? Since they try many dramas and Long Ge takes 10 years only until Guardian he has this opportunity to shine thus I personally thinks they will make an exceptional if to do a special episode even not highly paid don't forget other dramas/movie they can get alot more yes again Fans demand would make support them for more and doing a special episode for Fans they both will be happy to do so because without Fans they do any show/drama/movie also no one knows about them. (I still thinks the Special Episodes is based on Fans demand! This is what makes them popular!!) 

@cherylrose

Yeah. Very very major thanks to Guardian drama , Long Ge  acting career  was tepid for 10 years and then the show  , his popularity reached all-time high and he continuously holds the highest rank in the chinese male star charts. 

It reminded me of Li Yi Feng who also was tepid for 10 years and after 1 drama he  held the number 1 Male star title for 3 years.  I actually remember he received   various "Male star of the year" award for , 2015, 2016, 2017.. 

I am looking forward to pictures where Long Ge receiving the Star of the year award too ::D :D  I am so proud and in awe of Long Ge,  he is so super blessed with ridiculously gorgeous look and  very very strong acting skills too.  he is my number 1  idol as of now :)

I hope Long Ge and Bai will reprise their roles as Shen and Zhao maybe in a 3-5 years time too .but definitely not now , they are too busy immersed in their current drama roles i believe :p   can't split their focus hehehehe

6 minutes ago, valerie86 said:

@cherylrose

Yeah. Very very major thanks to Guardian drama , Long Ge  acting career  was tepid for 10 years and then the show  , his popularity reached all-time high and he continuously holds the highest rank in the chinese male star charts. 

It reminded me of Li Yi Feng who also was tepid for 10 years and after 1 drama he  held the number 1 Male star title for 3 years.  I actually remember he received   various "Male star of the year" award for , 2015, 2016, 2017.. 

I am looking forward to pictures where Long Ge receiving the Star of the year award too ::D :D  I am so proud and in awe of Long Ge,  he is so super blessed with ridiculously gorgeous look and  very very strong acting skills too.  he is my number 1  idol as of now :)

I hope Long Ge and Bai will reprise their roles as Shen and Zhao maybe in a 3-5 years time too .but definitely not now , they are too busy immersed in their current drama roles i believe :p   can't split their focus hehehehe

Valerie86 Toast to you!!! Finally someone agrees with me!! Yup this would be the best for now, as 3 to 5 years time travel is exactly like the Guardian drama they travel by time and even in space!!! Thus there is hope. 

7 hours ago, BreezeC said:

I am seeing a lot of hater out there (I heard it is professional hired help to tarnish his name) because of jealous and very crazy fans that are basically stalking him. His studio had to post a statement a few days ago and yesterday Bai Yu had to do the same thing. I saw some of the clips and it looked very scary. Poor Zhu Yi Long was surrounded and he looked like a lost lamb in the crowd. 

This is indeed a scary thing to happen to one's life. Just because artists are always in the spotlight and fans are a huge factor in their star power, I still think that the public should respect their rights for some privacy and respect. With regards of BY/ ZYL, I hope they can stay safe in both professional and personal capacities. These kind of negativity might affect how they look back at Guardian - whether it is a blessing or a curse.

@BreezeC, has any of ZYL's past works been fully subbed? I'm finding a few things here and there but I couldn't find one that has complete subtitles. And if i want to watch without any subs, can you recommend a good one?

At least I've seen BY's work. Memory Lost was a really crazy/ illogical show (come on, offices at police headquarters will clear desks and no files?!), but BY/YR had a cute chemistry between them.

7 minutes ago, valerie86 said:

@BreezeC

I still wonder why Zhao change his hairstyle in episode 15 of drama. Is it really to impress Shen? (Did novel also mention change of hairstyle )  i really dont like the middle parting lol.

Oh Valerie86 I am still read Chapter 4 going to Chapter 5. It seems like in novel my mind can activate how they really would be like. Even for Guo the cat he is cute in novel.... 

Archived