[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Guardian 镇魂

sugarplum892

5 hours ago, valerie86 said:

Please have a look at minute 0.05 onwards 

How did they manage to get image of Shen Wei grave? Photoshop? 

OMG  this cannot be real ?

Oh the grave?? (why I got a feeling like they will still be unite??) 

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, xienrue said:

Hello everyone! Seems I am late to the party. I discover the drama late (when the drama already around episode 33) and needs to play catch up before I can commenting here. I read the novels to, even though I stopped myself at chapter 30, waiting for the translation to go further first.

Perhaps I am minority in this, but I am actually quite glad that the drama choose to not go through pure BL (whatever the reason is). My reason is simple. It is because out of all BL drama/movies I have watched, all of them are quite bad. The stories might be fine since what I have watched is adaptation from novel/manga. But the acting is suck. Dunno why, perhaps the actors feel uncomfortable with the role or what. I cannot feel the emotional connection between the lead actors. They have sexual scenes, yes (hand touching, kissing, sex, etc) but those scenes just lack soul. I don't feel anything from them. I don't know whether it is just my luck and there are really good BL film out there.

On the other hand, I have positive experience when watching drama about bromance. Often the actors chemistry are very great to the point lots of fanfiction about "what if they are a couple" come out. So I think it is fine that Guardian choose to use bromance route but with the chemistry that blatantly screaming BL. Everyone can see that their friendship is too "intimate" to be normal. The two actors are very well suited for their role, I can practically imagine their faces when I am reading the novel.

But, even though taking out the BL factor doesn't hurt the drama, taking out the god/ghost factor does hurt. I just reach chapter 30 of novel and I already can see the drama weaken Shen Wei because they cannot say he is half god half ghost. They also weaken Zhao Yun Lan since they cannot say anything about god reincarnation here. I have to agree with AvenueX comment that the chemistry between lead actors is the saving grace of this drama. I am rather disinterested in other character story (often fast forwarding their scenes). I get there are people that like Chu and Guo couple, but I cannot feel anything from them.

This drama introduces me to Zhu Yi Long. I have to say this man is very gorgeous:wub:, even more when he acts as Ye Zhun. White suits him very well ..... He should have try antagonist role after this, and I am pretty sure I will support his character instead of the protagonist, hahahahahaha.

About the ending, I am fine with either sad or bittersweet ending, as long as it is a proper ending. Sometimes a sad ending is better to be able to deliver a powerful emotion.

Maybe you should think of the minority rights before you said those things? Based on what you said, it sounds like gay people are worthless to be represented as there is a bigger market to profit, so taking out BL is fine.

Do you like it or not if FaMulan cast are all played by white actors in order to get a bigger market in the US? Like one of your commenters here said "it does not hurt since it aims at bigger market". So I guess it is fine as long as americans watch it.

Also, they are professional actors. If these actors cant convey BL feelings, they should hire those actors that can convey BL feelings, namely actors who are gay themselves.

This is my first comment here, and personally, Guardian is just a light-hearted drama to watch for me. I give it 5/10. Dont be offended. I just watched it to relax and pass my time, so I dont take it seriously and pay attention to every single detail of the show. Therefore, I might have overlooked the chemistry between the actors.

I also wonder what is the consequence of this drama will bring. Will the rest just follow Guardian's way of filming? Choose a good BL novel, remove the BL elements and replace it with bromance and cast two good-looking actors that are able to 'bromance' with each other to lure viewership and attract profit. Personally, this kind of way is no soul to me, and that's why I could only rate 5/10 for Guardian. It fundamentally destroys the spirit of the novel. I would rather they take pure bromance novels and film it and stop adapting all together the BL novels into films.

Edit: by the way, I am AWARE of China's restriction of BL, so please dont reply to my comment saying the same. My initial comment here was dedicated to those few commenters who said 'removing the BL elements doesn't hurt because blah blah blah'.

@xienrue, welcome. I guess being fashionably late is better than never :).

I don't have much BL production to compare, but I agree that the quality of Asian BL isn't very good and they seem be produced to cater yaoi fans.

Zhu Yilong is a revelation! A large part of me following this drama is due to his performance. And the fact that he is easy on the eyes :wub:. Kudos to Bai Yu as well because for being quite close to the novel portrayal of ZYL despites whatever restrictions they have in China about the BL content.

I don't have a problem with the removal of BL content. I won't even have any problem if the turned the main leads into a heterosexual couple and kept the romantic content. But I really feel like cursing the censorship board for 7 generations due to having rules that messed up of the novel's original premis. Asian culture has rich and interesting mythologies and supernatural beliefs that can be adapted into the background of a story but that just can't be done here (thank you to @BreezeC for enlighting us with the novel background). I remember watching Pawnshop No 8 many years ago and that drama also incorporated some supernatural elements that made it interesting (even though most of the actors suck).

9 hours ago, apollian said:

That's why its budget was large (100 million yuan now, and even higher if the company weren't bankrupted)

The production company went bankrupt?!

9 hours ago, siobhanne said:

This being officially Bromance and not BL (although it's totally BL and everyone, including all the side characters, knows it) makes them staying together more likely I think. It would be too much tragedy for a friendship. I mean, what story has two best buddies, who at the end of the story are made to never have known each other. If friendships are broken up it's only because there's a woman they both love. Or they're criminals and one dies to pay for the sins, stuff like that. Not two good buddies who do good deeds.

This is definitely a comforting way to think about the approaching ending. I also don't mind a sad ending. But IF there is going to be character death, please kill SW :tears::tears:. To think of him going through another 10000 years cycle to see KL/ZYL is just too painful. KL/ZYL has friends but SW just have that Tuxedo Mask brother...

I don't know how expensive/ affordable Bai Yu and Zhu Yilong were when they signed up for this project, but I'm amazed at how cheap the sets/ props looked. I was laughing out loud watching ZYL wrigling in chains because the pillars behind him was shaking with him. I was more afraid that we would topple down with the pillar. Anyhow, maybe a huge part of the budget had to go for special effects (cheap ones, though...).

But a large part of me is really grateful because most of the main casts dubbed their own voices. One of things that I hate about China productions is when they don't use the real actors' voices.

EDIT:

@questionl33, I just saw your post. I personally feel that "BL", a term widely used in Asia, does not represent the LGBTQ community at all. Rather, it is coined and created by by (mostly female) fans/ otakus who are into male/male (or yaoi) content/ fantasies. Some fanfics (especially when written by Western raised/ exposed authors) have more realistic portrayals of the LGBTQ communities as they are more understanding/ sensitive of the actual trials and challenges faces by these minorities.

Going into a live action production, removing unrealistic BL content IMHO is more respectful of the LGBTQ community, rather than maintaining such scenes and skewing/ undermining the how people/ society in the geographic location where the scene took place (i.e. Guardian is in China) would react.

Giving the series 5/10 is very kind actually! I'd rate it lower. I'd still recommend it to others due to the acting and unique storyline and I hope this will encourage people to read the novel, which I heard is a very good supernatural BL novel. 

1 hour ago, cherylrose said:

Well I like when you say:"Both of them graduated from top drama schools in China. Zhu Yilong from Beijing Film Academy and Bai Yu from Central Academy of Drama. They are both very professional actors with a lot of experiences. And Guardian was just lucky to have them in because they were excellent but not very famous at that time (which means affordable).  [I would say it's maybe destiny, you see it's meant they will meet and act together, anyone notice one of the interview Bai Yu mentioned after after Zhu Yi Long know Bai Yu, Zhu Yi Long is not so Cold!] 

Valerie86 you mean lollipop pendant (actually I still don't understand the lollipop pendant thing??) can you explain.

Valerie86 do you remember I posted a video here Shen Wei kiss ZYL cheek, maybe it's true ZYL dream of Both of them in black hole space. Then again how to explain Zhu Yi Long posted the Shen Wei in hospital??? (maybe a dream is Shen Wei died but reality Shen Wei is alive?? (

Remember that one of the Episode the Scientists man in the department says to ZYL you hope everyone here is hypnosis then you and Shen Wei can be together. 

Hahaha.. Now I know what's the Mango Keychains.

@cherylrose  the lollipop pendant  ..few weeks ago I meant fans were predicting on Weibo that the pendant look so similar to a lollipop, so they said it is a frozen lollipop. (which might turn out to be true LOL)

Yeah Bai Yu said Zhu Yi Long is not so distant after they get to know each other better :)

I am not sure whether Shen in hospital scene will happen or not,  cause I have a feeling Shen cannot survive after such a  massive bleeding (it would be insensible  at all ) . It will be make sense more if Shen die,  Zhao later will go to black hole to find his loved one.  

42 minutes ago, dzareth said:

@xienrue, welcome. I guess being fashionably late is better than never :).

I don't have much BL production to compare, but I agree that the quality of Asian BL isn't very good and they seem be produced to cater yaoi fans.

Zhu Yilong is a revelation! A large part of me following this drama is due to his performance. And the fact that he is easy on the eyes :wub:. Kudos to Bai Yu as well because for being quite close to the novel portrayal of ZYL despites whatever restrictions they have in China about the BL content.

I don't have a problem with the removal of BL content. I won't even have any problem if the turned the main leads into a heterosexual couple and kept the romantic content. But I really feel like cursing the censorship board for 7 generations due to having rules that messed up of the novel's original premis. Asian culture has rich and interesting mythologies and supernatural beliefs that can be adapted into the background of a story but that just can't be done here (thank you to @BreezeC for enlighting us with the novel background). I remember watching Pawnshop No 8 many years ago and that drama also incorporated some supernatural elements that made it interesting (even though most of the actors suck).

The production company went bankrupt?!

This is definitely a comforting way to think about the approaching ending. I also don't mind a sad ending. But IF there is going to be character death, please kill SW :tears::tears:. To think of him going through another 10000 years cycle to see KL/ZYL is just too painful. KL/ZYL has friends but SW just have that Tuxedo Mask brother...

I don't know how expensive/ affordable Bai Yu and Zhu Yilong were when they signed up for this project, but I'm amazed at how cheap the sets/ props looked. I was laughing out loud watching ZYL wrigling in chains because the pillars behind him was shaking with him. I was more afraid that we would topple down with the pillar. Anyhow, maybe a huge part of the budget had to go for special effects (cheap ones, though...).

But a large part of me is really grateful because most of the main casts dubbed their own voices. One of things that I hate about China productions is when they don't use the real actors' voices.

Yeah agree about cheap sets. I am a bit unhappy they use the tie up in pillar scenario for 3-4 times.  So not creative..

Haha i didnt realise about the pillar wriggling thingy.  I need to rewatch the episode. Good eyesight !

About Zhu Yi Long....

Spoiler

They (in a few past articles) used to say he look abit like HK actor's Tony Leung Leung Chiu Wai. Well, he's still look like himself...i mean everyone is unique looking.

But from his recent photoshoot clip....well, i do agree...if u pause at 20secs....his eyes? when his mouth curl up abit. there's some likeness there.

Anyway like many said, I agree Zhu YIlong has a certain appeal. Sometimes it's not the physical look....but certain "air", charm or style that captivate viewers. Interesting he also got a childlike appeal which u don't feel he's childish at his age (30yo). 

And i think his popularity will increase soon...with 2 upcoming dramas. Esp 知否知否应是绿肥红瘦 Story of Minglan with Zhao Liying and Feng Shaofeng. ZLY is 3rd in the list, 2nd male lead. Read that it's a complicated role which showcase acting skills (eg after 2min when he cried and laughed along the corridor).

And this drama looks really well-made.

Another upcoming drama which was filmed last yr. 许你浮生若梦 Letting You Float Like A Dream. 

@questionl33 Are you really just replying to my post or you mix it with another poster post? Because I never said anything about marketing. I just said that I prefer bromance route because my bad experience watching pure BL drama/movie. What I seek from yaoi/BL is a complex and emotional storyline that different from usual romance. I don't really care with sexual scene because in my opinion love should be able to be felt even with only minimum body contact. If we need a bigger scene to show the love, then that means the actors/actress have failed in their role.

I can understand if you want to watch BL in its purity and not its diluted form. That is individual preference. However, I prefer to watch the emotion not only the bodily expression. And if using bromance route can give me this, then I will go with bromance instead of pure BL. This is a good novel and I would rather they do not butcher the story by using BL route that I am afraid would not be able to give us emotional satisfaction. Again, I never have seen a good BL drama/movie. All of them felt so bland and bad. Believe me, watching bad BL adaptation can even decrease your enjoyment of the original source

I am agree with @dzareth that yaoi/BL does not represent LGBT. I know people out there who are lover of yaoi/BL but do not support LGBT.

11 hours ago, apollian said:

Finally someone get the point! I'm quite ok with no BL scene as long as the actors can convey the feeling well to the audience. First, this drama is based on a very interesting novel, I mean the plot itself is already wonderful. Sometimes focusing too much on the two characters only can be distracting. Second, it aimed at a much bigger market, not only the small BL one. That's why its budget was large (100 million yuan now, and even higher if the company weren't bankrupted) and they could cast top actors like Zhu Yilong and Bai Yu. Both of them graduated from top drama schools in China. Zhu Yilong from Beijing Film Academy and Bai Yu from Central Academy of Drama. They are both very professional actors with a lot of experiences. And Guardian was just lucky to have them in because they were excellent but not very famous at that time (which means affordable).

Count me in. From the beginning this drama for me is bromance, brotherhood, long lost brothers or we can call it soul brothers. 

When you see someone, you feel like you have known that person as your soul has something like a connection. That's why when ZYL first saw SW, he felt like they have known each other. Even though he is suspicious of SW, he still believe him even though he knew who SW really is. 

In ep27, ZYL was angry with SW for meeting his father behind his back. He said you are my best friend but you are hiding things from me. He also said I believed in you which I don't know why when I was suspicious of you in the beginning. 

Zhu Yi Long and Bai Yu are both good actors but Zhu Yi Long I read somewhere he is already in the industry for 10 years. This drama gave them opportunity to make a better name for themselves. They not only acted as good friends in the drama but they are also good friends in real life. 

In my opinion, they were perfect for the characters and other actors also acted quite good too. You need a whole package to make a good drama. 

Hope to see them both acting together as brotherhood drama in the future.

From reading the posts about the ep35, I am wondering if the screen writer made a blunder as Kun Lun reincarnation is ZYL. There were two flashbacks I saw up to ep27. One by SW where he is thinking the first time he is asking Kun Lun for his name. The second by Daqing where he got back his memories and he remembered the scene where Kun Lun was advising him. 

I'm wondering why SW don't know much about the four sacred tools. In ep21, ZYL heard the reading of the story of Kun Lun using the four scared tools to seal the hell right? So isn't ZYL who is Kun Lun's reincarnation supposed to be the one use the four sacred tools to save the world? 

Watch this

Sorry EDITED

This scene was one of several scenes shot during the mountain scene . Where Zhao smell his jacket .

But it looks like they did not use this version. 

Still no upcoming preview for ep 40 except the Night and shen holding hand scene  

Please translate it for me (I need to know why they change the hospital scene)

Weibo post of hospital bts

真的已掏空硬盘   沈老师掉马现场之医院版此处镇长科普帖 :拍摄期会因场景调度等原因,在特定的场景拍摄几个版本,播出版才是正式版,此版就当番外小花絮吧

HOSPITAL BTS video youku

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

Please translate it for me (I need to know why they change the hospital scene)

Weibo post of hospital bts

真的已掏空硬盘   沈老师掉马现场之医院版此处镇长科普帖 :拍摄期会因场景调度等原因,在特定的场景拍摄几个版本,播出版才是正式版,此版就当番外小花絮吧

HOSPITAL BTS video youku

RPM this is the translation:"Really has been hollowed out, the hard drive Shen teacher dropped the horse on the scene of the hospital version here, the mayor: The shooting period will be shot in a specific scene due to scene scheduling and other reasons. Several versions, broadcast publishing is the official version, this version will be a small tidbit"

I scream when I see Shen Wei wake up and he says this identity cannot hide anymore. I wonder is this even Episode 40 because the above translation seem to have different ending in various versions??? (Anyone can explain this??) [Is it have other type of shooting filming we all didn't know of??? 

1 hour ago, cherylrose said:

RPM this is the translation:"Really has been hollowed out, the hard drive Shen teacher dropped the horse on the scene of the hospital version here, the mayor: The shooting period will be shot in a specific scene due to scene scheduling and other reasons. Several versions, broadcast publishing is the official version, this version will be a small tidbit"

I scream when I see Shen Wei wake up and he says this identity cannot hide anymore. I wonder is this even Episode 40 because the above translation seem to have different ending in various versions??? (Anyone can explain this??) [Is it have other type of shooting filming we all didn't know of??? 

Sounds like it. Sounds like this is the same scene that ZYL first discovered SW true identity as Black Robe by the scent on his jacket. I think they just filmed a couple of version and this is the version they didn't use so they show it as bts here. So I don't think it is in episode 40 :( 

10 hours ago, dzareth said:

@questionl33, I just saw your post. I personally feel that "BL", a term widely used in Asia, does not represent the LGBTQ community at all. Rather, it is coined and created by by (mostly female) fans/ otakus who are into male/male (or yaoi) content/ fantasies. Some fanfics (especially when written by Western raised/ exposed authors) have more realistic portrayals of the LGBTQ communities as they are more understanding/ sensitive of the actual trials and challenges faces by these minorities.

Regarding the discussion on BL, I completely agree with you all that BL is mostly catered to female fans. Although I do know that real life homosexual do read it as well.  I do read BL novel but I prefer those that are more reality-based with the main couple struggling and dealing with their sexuality or the pressure from society. To me, what is the point of reading male/male relationship when those are not an issue and the story can easily be turn to male/female relationship? Guardian, the novel, doesn't really address these issues much since it is supernatural based but there was two scenes that had a very deep impression on me regarding their realistic side of their relationship.

The first is when ZYL brought SW to his parent house and told his mother in the kitchen that he is gay. (Yes, his mom is very alive in the novel) At first, she thought he was joking and then, when she realized that he was serious, she was shock. Afterward, she asked him "What about your job? What would others say about you? What if this affect your future?" Then "What about his family? Does his family agree? What is his personality? Does he treat you well? I thought you had girlfriends before, why?" (When I read this part of the novel, I suddenly realized that other than the supernatural part of their relationship, there will be other reality issues they will need to face as a couple) ZYL finally said, "Yes, I dated both female AND male before but for him (SW) I am willing to go all the way." (This is the moment, I realized, as a human ZYL, not god KL, he is willing to do all that he can to be with the person he loved.)

The second is with his father. His father was asking him whether he can part with SW. He said, "Maybe one day, when your hormones are back to normal, you will regret your choice." "Love can be very strong, but it can also be very weak...especially when faced with oppression and pressure...slowly this will turn into a very strong force and emotion... but you have to remember "Mountain can never defeat you but the accumulation of sands will." "The difficulty of love can be overcome with strength and willingness regardless of costs but at the end, love will return to being plain...Have you thought about the day when all the attractive,  desire, and the element that make your heart beat dissolved and all that remain is all the memories of difficulty and pain. How do you face him then?" Then his father set an example of when ZYL is a child, he always want to eat ice cream but his mom didn't let him. He will rebel and throw tantrum. His father came up with a plan and let him eat as much as possible until he had a stomachache. After that, he never want to eat ice cream again.  ZYL replied, "SW and I didn't just met. We know each other for a long time. I understand what you are saying, Dad, but in this world, there is this person, not because he is so beautiful that you will give up everything and sacrifice everything for him but you realized that if you hurt him, you are the worst being."

These two conversations enlightened me that other than the thousand years history between our couple and all the supernatural forces that are obstacles to them, there is also the reality side in their relationships. OMG! I think I am loving this author more and more lol

20 hours ago, valerie86 said:

Yeah THANK GOD  no hugging / kissing / more intimate scenes. I feel a bit uncomfortable watching those scenes if 2 male actors have to play it. 

and yep It is love between Shen and Zhao  even other characters could tell they have something going on . Thanks to the superb acting by two teachers (Long Ge and Bai). 

Long Ge I have seen him his previous works but no lasting impression . Guardian make me realize how gorgeous and strong at acting he is. I am  mesmerized :)

How is it uncomfortable, i guess your just closet homophobic. 

14 hours ago, questionl33 said:

I think you dont know much about China because if they got gay actors to do a BL story that should would not be made at all and this is a Boy Love show.. there is more to love then kissing and hugging. 

Archived