[Reality Show] Youn's Kitchen 윤식당 - S1 at Gili Trawangan Lombok, S2 at Garachico on Tenerife ~ waiting for Season 3!

On 4/18/2017 at 5:24 PM, rubie said:

April 19, 2017

TvN sorry for job posting mishap

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Cable channel tvN released an apology yesterday, after reality show “Youn’s Kitchen” attempted to hire a part-time translator for the production of the show, only offering to compensate their efforts by giving them a limited-edition “Youn’s Kitchen” apron, without pay.

As the word Hell Joseon, a term criticizing the current socioeconomic state of Korea, has grown in usages recently, many were frustrated by the conglomerate’s decision to take advantage of those desperate for a job and unable to defend themselves. 

This added fuel to the fire, reinvigorating the controversy of “passion pay,” a satirical term referring to interns and apprentices not being aptly paid, and having to put up with poor treatment just so the companies can squeeze out work from the rookie workers.

Yesterday, the production team for “Youn’s Kitchen” uploaded a help-wanted advertisement on its Facebook page, looking for a translator for a language the production team couldn’t identify. The point of controversy was the payment, which read “limited edition ‘Youn’s Kitchen’ apron.”

After many on Facebook users expressed irritation with the channel’s attitude towards translators, the team slyly edited the post, adding that there would be a “compensation fee.

As the criticism continued, an apology was uploaded to the Facebook page which read, “We were planning to discuss the payments individually with the translators who applied. We apologize for the confusion we caused.”

By Kim Jung-kyoon

Sigh I felt that k-netz were overly sensitive to this request. I guess the production team wanted viewers' interaction hence posted this translation invite to create a positive buzz. Sadly, it was viewed by some as a chance to take advantage of others.

Hmmm IF I knew German, I would have gladly translated that piece for FREE! It's like how viewers have been translating dramas/variety shows into English/Chinese cos they just simply LOVE the shows. Honestly, I think TVN has means to get this piece translated ... oh well! Maybe if the production team had framed it as a quiz/competition to see which viewer is able to translate that piece accurately, it would not have gotten k-netz backlash.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, YuKo Wong said:

Sigh I felt that k-netz were overly sensitive to this request. I guess the production team wanted viewers' interaction hence posted this translation invite to create a positive buzz. Sadly, it was viewed by some as a chance to take advantage of others.

Hmmm IF I knew German, I would have gladly translated that piece for FREE! It's like how viewers have been translating dramas/variety shows into English/Chinese cos they just simply LOVE the shows. Honestly, I think TVN has means to get this piece translated ... oh well! Maybe if the production team had framed it as a quiz/competition to see which viewer is able to translate that piece accurately, it would not have gotten k-netz backlash.

The K-netz were right to criticize because they know that there are many places like viki.com where tons of people who volunteer to translate for free but TVn has to reduce their fees and allow streaming sights access.  TVn is notorious for blocking any access to their shows without ridiculously high fees - which is why you can't get English translations of most TVn shows without paying a hefty premium. (Ear Candy,  3 Meals a Day).  Most translations come from a fan following of one of the actors. (It was Taecyon fans that translated 3 Meals a day.)   LSJ appreciates fans, but doesn't really care how many he has and he never really pays attention to ratings or K-netz opinions (he knows that no matter what he does someone will criticize).  He just does his thing - and only does something that he finds interesting or challenging or something new.  He is  not only independently wealthy, but he's independent minded.  If he enjoys it or the people - he'll do it - if not - he won't.

TVn  wanted the benefits of translators without paying them or reducing their fees so that it could be broadcast on viki or dramafever.  It's typical corporate greed and they got caught.

I was a little surprised and wonder if LSJ was involved in the apology.  He's well known for taking care of others.  In one production where he was the lead he found out that actors whose scenes were cut weren't getting paid and he made them change their policy and pay them by the time they spent on set - not on whether the scene was broadcast.

1 hour ago, mbcam said:

The K-netz were right to criticize because they know that there are many places like viki.com where tons of people who volunteer to translate for free but TVn has to reduce their fees and allow streaming sights access.  TVn is notorious for blocking any access to their shows without ridiculously high fees - which is why you can't get English translations of most TVn shows without paying a hefty premium. (Ear Candy,  3 Meals a Day).  Most translations come from a fan following of one of the actors. (It was Taecyon fans that translated 3 Meals a day.)   LSJ appreciates fans, but doesn't really care how many he has and he never really pays attention to ratings or K-netz opinions (he knows that no matter what he does someone will criticize).  He just does his thing - and only does something that he finds interesting or challenging or something new.  He is  not only independently wealthy, but he's independent minded.  If he enjoys it or the people - he'll do it - if not - he won't.

TVn  wanted the benefits of translators without paying them or reducing their fees so that it could be broadcast on viki or dramafever.  It's typical corporate greed and they got caught.

I was a little surprised and wonder if LSJ was involved in the apology.  He's well known for taking care of others.  In one production where he was the lead he found out that actors whose scenes were cut weren't getting paid and he made them change their policy and pay them by the time they spent on set - not on whether the scene was broadcast.

Tvn has been in the negative light recently since the suicide of Assistant PD Lee. Whatever it is, I honestly feel that the production team (not TVn) didn't have any ill intentions when they posted that. Thankfully they quickly issued an apology with clarification before it blew up any bigger

As for LSJ, he couldn't even be bothered to watch the premiere of 3MAD Fishing Village 3 so I doubt he had suggested anything ... kekeke I Guess that's the appeal of Seojinnie.. one who prefers actions over words. As he mentioned before in 3MAD, its sincerity that counts and it will certainly be felt by the viewers of the show. That's the appeal of this show, the celebrities involved and the production team. 

19 hours ago, YuKo Wong said:

Tvn has been in the negative light recently since the suicide of Assistant PD Lee. Whatever it is, I honestly feel that the production team (not TVn) didn't have any ill intentions when they posted that. Thankfully they quickly issued an apology with clarification before it blew up any bigger

As for LSJ, he couldn't even be bothered to watch the premiere of 3MAD Fishing Village 3 so I doubt he had suggested anything ... kekeke I Guess that's the appeal of Seojinnie.. one who prefers actions over words. As he mentioned before in 3MAD, its sincerity that counts and it will certainly be felt by the viewers of the show. That's the appeal of this show, the celebrities involved and the production team. 

Sorry to hear about the suicide and if someone is giving TVn a hard time when they are already grieving over the loss of a coworker - that is a double tragedy.   But honestly, I don't think it has much to do TVn's actions regarding the nonpayment of translators but may have something to do with their quick turn around.

Also, not being worried about ratings does not equate to not being caring about people on the show - it's apples and oranges comparison. Ratings don't matter to LSJ because money doesn't matter to him and ratings won't affect whether he's offered another project or CV (Welcome Show is a good example - it was a complete disaster).   Once a program airs actors get paid a residual every time that show is aired - even twenty or thirty years later.  He's already gotten paid up front (as have all the other actors) and checks will keep rolling in - it's the same for some of the production staff and producers.

Ratings matter to the company producing the show and the staff - it's about future earnings - not current earnings.  When you produce a show with high ratings corporations can charge more for advertising and when you're the producer, writer, editor, camera person . . and you work on a show that gets high ratings - more people want to hire you for their shows and you can ask more for your time and talent.

When LSJ stood up  for the people who weren't getting paid if their scene didn't air - it was because he cares about the people (there are multiple instances of him making sure that during shooting he feeds the people behind the camera).   When he insisted on anyone getting paid for their time - it was because he understood that there is a two tier payment system in tv and movies in most places (although apparently not in Korea).   Usually you get paid for the day of shooting and,  if you have speaking lines, - every time that episode gets aired you get residual payments for that episode.  So, if you have a scene during production and it gets cut and you don't get paid for shooting the scene - you don't get paid period.  No income even if you worked.  

The reason I feel that TVn is being greedy is that they are charging a premium for shows with English translations by only making them available by subscription.  So they are getting extra money for shows with English translations but not willing to pay the people who are making this extra income for them and not making the shows accessible to sites that have volunteers that would do the translations - because those translations are then the property of the website - not TVn and TVn cannot broadcast or use them.

I'm pretty sure staff was just trying to please some boss by increasing profitability - that doesn't make them bad guys - just doing their job - it's not like they get a percentage - that goes to the ones in charge that make the big bucks.  

It's not much different than unpaid interns here in the US and we're working to change that - and many places have because they got called out for it - just like TVn.  The fight to end slavery(working without getting paid) is still going on even in 2017.

April 19, 2017

Actor Lee Seo Jin And PD Na Young Suk Come Out On Top As Most Popular Variety Show Duo

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Lee-Seo-Jin-Na-Young-Suk.jpg

Who does the general public believe is the best variety show duo?

Online survey company PIM asked this question to 2400 people between their twenties to fifties. The result was Lee Seo Jin and PD Na Young Suk coming out in first place with 25.5 percent of the votes. This is backed up by the fact that their new show, “Youn’s Kitchen,” is currently at the top of its time slot.

They narrowly beat out Yoo Jae Suk and Park Myung Soo, who received 24.8 percent of the votes and came in second place. The duo has been working together for a long time, appearing on shows like “Infinite Challenge” and “Happy Together.”

Tied for third place was Kim Sung Joo and Ahn Jung Hwan, who appear on “Please Take Care of My Refrigerator” and “Carefree Travelers,” and Kang Ho Dong and Lee Soo Geun. Fourth place went to Yoo Jae Suk and Haha, who work together on “Infinite Challenge” and “Running Man.”

Lee Seo Jin and Na Young Suk’s partnership was popular amongst women (29.8 percent), especially women in their forties (32.0 percent). People in their twenties seemed to prefer the duo of Yoo Jae Suk and Park Myung Soo (34.2 percent) more than other age groups.

Which variety show duo do you like most?

Source (1)

April 21, 2017

Actress Yoon Yeo Jung Expresses Frustrations About Sanitation Criticism Towards “Youn’s Kitchen”

Source: Soompi by JiwonYu

Yoon-Yeo-Jung.jpg

tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen” has received criticism about its levels of sanitation and actress Yoon Yeo Jung has stepped up to clear up all rumors once and for all.

During a recent interview, Yoon Yeo Jung addressed the criticism she has been receiving because she is always seen wearing white rubber gloves on the show.

Youns-Kitchen1.jpg

She firmly said, “I want to let everyone know that I continuously switch out gloves in the kitchen. I barely have fingerprints. A scientist told me it’s because my skin became soft with age. I always wear gloves when I work because I’ll ruin my hands if I don’t.”

The actress explained, “Even my friends who watched the show told me, ‘Take off your gloves. Why can’t you [take it off] for even a minute?’ and bothered me about it so much.”

PD Na Young Suk added, “Yoon Yeo Jung is very sensitive about hygiene for sure.”

The actress declared, “I decided not to appear on variety shows anymore. I might change my mind if Na Young Suk asks me to work together again, but I’m determined this time.”

She became frustrated and stated, “If people say ‘Your acting is not good,’ I can just do better next time. But [variety shows] expose me just as I am and don’t allow me to hide anything. I am done with variety shows this time.”

Source (1)

This show is on track to beat "Three Meals a Day" rating records... :blush:

http://starin.edaily.co.kr/news/NewsRead.edy?SCD=EA32&newsid=01157846615898744&DCD=A10102

(Using Google Translate)

'Yoon Restaurant', 13.3% audience rating is the best self ... All three

[Daily Star in Yoon Ji Kim] 'Yoon restaurant' has renewed its highest rating.

Cable Channel TVN entertainment program 'Yoon Restaurant' recorded the average rating of 13.3% on Nielsen Korea paid platform nationwide households. This is a 2.1% point increase from the average audience rating of 11.2% recorded in the past 4 sessions.

Nanyoung PD, who directed the TV program, recorded the highest ratings among the programs produced by tvN over the past four years. Fifteen seasons of fishing villages broadcast on February 20, 2015 recorded 14.2%. This corresponds to the TVN entertainment program's top rating. It is noteworthy that 'Yoon Restaurant' is chasing 'Shishi Sekisui' at a rapid pace and can pass it.

On that day 'Yoon Restaurant', the members who are screaming happily at the increasing guest were drawn. A group of customers from China and Sweden came to Yoon Restaurant. Lee Seo Jin, who is in charge of the hall, and Shin Jung, who are cooking in the kitchen, Yoon Jeong-jung and Jung Yoo-mi both had no time. Lee Seo-jin, who says "Do not eat the same menu twice in a holiday," has also started to develop a new menu. Chicken right. Lee Seo Jin devised a method of tearing and frying chicken flesh. In addition, the paddle board helped the guests with the item.

On 4/19/2017 at 5:41 AM, mbcam said:

Even he is not good in communication, but he is a good soul.  I wish there is chance to watch YK in Eng Sub.

4 hours ago, a15t3 said:

Even he is not good in communication, but he is a good soul.  I wish there is chance to watch YK in Eng Sub.

you can checked here. 

younskitchenteam.wordpress.com

look like there will be no youns kitchen this week.

tvN 측 "‘윤식당’, 28일 지연 방송…‘시타’ 본방 결방"(공식입장)

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=018&aid=0003810908&lfrom=twitter

https://www.soompi.com/2017/04/26/broadcasting-times-tvn-dramas-shows-adjusted-due-election/

Broadcasting Times For tvN Dramas And Shows To Be Adjusted Due To Election

Additionally, “Youn’s Kitchen,” which normally airs on Fridays at 9:20 p.m. KST, has been pushed back to air at 10 p.m on April 28. KST instead.

Phew!

At least we'd still have Youn's Kitchen (raw episode) to watch this week, just a bit late than usual. Always a headache now that we're so hooked on the show. Nope, not going to think about when their '10-day resto' is up. user posted image

Looks like some weekend dramas may be affected... boohoo.

Only 4 episodes left! user posted image

April 27, 2017

“Youn’s Kitchen” Sets Official End Date With Announcement Of Special Director’s Cut Episode

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Youns-Kitchen-Lee-Seo-Jin-Youn-Yeo-Jung-Jung-Yoo-Mi-Shin-Goo.jpg

tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen” is set to come to an end on May 19.

According to the variety show’s team, “‘Youn’s Kitchen’ will be a total of nine episodes long, with eight regular episodes and one director’s cut episode.”

“Youn’s Kitchen” follows Shin Goo, Youn Yeo Jung, Lee Seo Jin, and Jung Yoo Mi as they run a small Korean restaurant on an island near Bali. Each episode has been met with a positive response and a rise in ratings.

The team also stated, “The director’s cut episode will be the last episode, and it will air on May 19.”

Though we’re sad that “Youn’s Kitchen” is coming to an end, it will be exciting to see what PD Na Young Suk will do next!

Source (1)

YOUN′S KITCHEN 170428 EP.6 Excerpt

Cool timing: 

A customer orders Bulgogi burger minus the meat (coincidentally they've ran out of meat, if not mistaken)

.No K-pop on the menu?

Archived