Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2017] Lookout, 파수꾼

@leeemyis I translated three of Kim Young-kwang's interviews (minus the Star Chosun one)

Anyway here they are.

TRANSLATION 1

Nocutnews Interview with "Lookout" Actor Kim Young Kwang
PART 1

An interview with actor Kim Young-kwang was held at a cafe in Gangnam-gu, Seoul on July 13 at 11:00 am. From the beginning of the interview, a question was asked to Kim Young-kwang about what he thought of the ending. He did not know for sure whether he died or not until the 31st and 32nd episodes, and he said, "The dying ending isn't that bad."

The following is excerpts from the interview.

»PLEASE GIVE US A CLOSING COMMENTARY
First, I feel good because I made a good drama. Good director, good cast. I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed it personally and  pleasantly. It will remain in my memory for a long time. I had so much fun shooting with my seniors, the PD, and the writers and would like to continue it.

»THERE ARE MANY COMMENTS ON JANG DO-HAN'S DEATH IN THE FINALE. WHEN DID YOU KNOW WHAT THE ENDING WAS? I LIKED IT.

The moment the second half of the finale was aired. Although it was written on the script, and I read it, "Oh. So you're dead, huh?" I was not sure it was the real ending, so I kept asking the PD just in case he teased me, you know. But later I knew it was true. 

Shooting until the day the finale was aired, I was worried until the end. Some of you would grieve about Do-han's death, and some would be angry. It was important that the death was portrayed [justly], and so was the guilt. But was it more realistic to die in guilt, rather than [to live] in atonement? [I admit] that was a sad ending: Do-han lived a sinful life to take revenge, and then he just died like that. 

»YOU'D WATCHED YOUR FINAL SCENE.
I'm not entirely satisfied, of course. I felt the limits of what I [my character] could do. Can the hero simply die in such a sad death? Too realistic? It feels so real, to the point that the death scene is difficult to get over. Personally, I'd like [Do-han] to have more time, to learn the meaning of atonement. Still, the dying scene itself wasn't so badly done. I believe in the director who edited it.

»ANOTHER QUESTION. IS YOON SI-WAN DEAD?

I don't know. That bad one. (laughter) 

I [as Jang Do-han] was so upset when we filmed the scenes, because he thwarted us here and there. After the hearing, Do-han reaped the results of his work, but then another incident happened and he was defeated, and couldn't do anything.  

»"THE LOOKOUTS" WAS A KIND OF ORGANIZATION FOR THE PURPOSE OF CARRYING OUT JUSTICE, BUT THERE WAS NO JUSTICE IN THE END.
I worked hard towards it (as I should have). (laughs)

»YOU SEEMED TO BE SO IMMERSED IN YOUR CHARACTER.
I felt lonely when I watched the scene when the lookouts talked to one another. As soon as Soo-ji wondered with Bo-mi (Kim Seul-gi) and Kyung-soo (SHINee Key), "Did the leader betray us?" That was the moment. I felt lonely, and I thought Do-han must've seemed like a villain, so much that he was hated even by the lookouts.

The character himself was so much fun. There were many things to think about [in acting Do-han's scenes] and I added my inputs. 

When I met Gwangho (Kim Sang-ho) and Seung-ro (Choi Moo-sung) at the Seoul Central District Prosecutor's Office,  Do-han acted obediently around them. So I bowed to both of them very deeply. 

[This way],  you could change the posture at a later time, to show the gap between the real and the false selves of Do-han. I saw Joo Ji-hoon did it in "Asura", and it seemed to be both fascinating and fun to do so. The scene where Do-han beckoned to Eun-jung (Kim Tae-hoon) in the middle was a reference  to Choi Min-shik's part in "Nameless Gangster". My speech intonation and posture in those scenes were indebted to the two films.

»AT THE BEGINNING, I THOUGHT DO-HAN WAS A BAD [transl. CARTOONISH] VILLAIN. THERE WERE A LOT OF REACTIONS AGAINST YOUR PERFORMANCE, TOO.

I don't know that. I only thought that I should look like a villain, I thought a lot of how to show it. I wanted him to be a very rude man. When viewers first watched (the drama), the judgment was that he was bad, until it was confirmed later that he was good.  I deliberately worked hard on such a performance [to hide Do-han's real self].

»EUN-JOONG AND DO-HAN OFTEN CLASHED, WITH THE LATTER AS A [KIND OF] TRICKSTER VILLAIN. BUT HOW MUCH DID DO-HAN'S WORDS EXPRESS HIS REAL PERSONALITY?

Some of his interactions with Eun-joong were close to his real self. The first thought that crossed my mind was he actually felt sorry for Eun-joong, although he said it jokingly. When he said to Eun-joong, "You are brave and just, and necessary to Korea", Do-han meant it. There were sincere things that can't be hidden by silly gestures and jokes.

»WHY DID DO-HAN FEEL SORRY FOR EUN-JOONG?

Do-han lived for revenge, so he wasn't really righteous. But before his eyes, there was this person who consistently tried to bring justice. [So he told Eun-joong], "Sorry, your ways won't work out in Korea",  but in his heart he knew Korea needed people like Eun-joong.

»YOU ACTED A LOT IN SYMBOLIC PLACES, LIKE THE CATHEDRAL, PUBLIC PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE, etc. WHERE DID YOU FEEL MOST COMFORTABLE TO ACT IN? 

The prosecutor's office. Because [Do-han] was a person who lived for revenge, it was a lot more fun [to film scenes where he] got someone to move like a wax in his hand, rather than to film repentance scenes. And to feel how the lookouts were playing out of his hands.

»"LOOKOUT"'S AUDIENCE RATING GRADUALLY INCREASED, BUT IT WAS LOWER THAN ITS COMPETITORS. DID YOU REGRET IT? 

Well, I didn't pay attention, at first. I just thought it would rise steadily. At first, the characters were scattered as if they were in separate stories, but because later they gathered in a fun way, we thought that the ratings would increase.

As we moved to the second half, I felt that the viewers were all cheering us together, "Let's go over 10%!"  I thought so. It was 10% for the finale. "The power of the real viewers is great, we're finally making it!" I thought so. Personally, I don't care much about audience ratings. I thought it was more important to play my character with integrity. 

Edited by selenette
  • Like 3

@leeemyis  I cut this interview for Lookout-related parts only.

TRANSLATION 2

NocutNews Interview with Kim Young-Kwang

PART 2

»YOU SAID FILMING "LOOKOUT" WAS ENJOYABLE, BUT I WONDER WHAT YOU PARTICULARLY ENJOYED ABOUT IT?

(This work) was so much of what I wanted to do (even) when it was over. There was a lot of discussions involved about each scene, in the field. (In creating the scenes) we had to make sure they were real, so when viewers watched it, they'd say, 'Oh, that's what you've been doing' I thought. 

Each character had  a lot of discussions to find out what caused this and that scene to happen. There were a lot of good scenes that we had to discuss with one another. 

For dramas,  the feedback comes right after the week's episodes are aired. I didn't know how viewers saw it until we (the production) discussed it with one another. I was worried about how to make it more exciting (for the viewers), but I thought it was good to have feedback because I liked it. The more we got back to the second half, the more we felt the fun while listening to the audience's response. 

Even though shooting was a very busy schedule, I was really excited. The PD acknowledged a lot of opinions from actors, and everyone was open to suggestions from everyone else.

»IN "LOOKOUT", THE HEARING SCENES WERE GOOD. 

Not really. I was surprised rather, (than think that they're) good. The hearing scenes were so difficult (to film). I had too much lines. In such a setting, only Jang Do-han had so much to say. I was so worried after shooting the scenes. It was so surprising that it came out well on the broadcast. I think the PD's editing is good. 

On the contrary, there is something I thought (would be shown) longer, because it was written longer. In the early interrogation room scene (with Lee Si-young), I played it variously for a long time. 

»IF THERE'S SOMETHING YOU REGRET ABOUT YOUR ACTING (IN LOOKOUT)

There seems to be few scenes that I did well. (Often) I thought of an emotion (that I believed) was appropriate for the situation, (but after shooting), the emotion that I prepared didn't match well. After filming a scene in two takes, I felt that the previous scene wasn't good. That I should have done a little better, or suddenly I thought of a (new) idea.

(For example) There was this scene where (Jang Do-han) met his dad for the first time in the drama. (At first), I cried so hard  because I was (prepared to be) emotionally sad. (Because of Jang Do-han's character at that time) who held his emotions in check, I decided not to cry so much. (The 2nd take) was aired and (the scene's flow) was smooth. 

»POSSIBILITIES OF LOOKOUT SEASON 2

If season two was made, I'd love the characters to return. I would like to see Oh Kwang-Ho (Kim Sang-ho) return. Maybe the PD's B-Team can make 'The Guardians of Galaxy *'. (Laughter) I enjoyed this work, so it would be fun if I had another fun again! If Season 2 comes out, it will be fun if the original cast remain, and maybe add some new ones. 

*=pun to a film's title

»DO YOU USUALLY READ COMMENTS?
(This time) I saw a lot of comments around Jang Do-han and I didn't see (much comments) in my earlier works. (When acting) the expressions can be changed. There was an outcry from the first time it was aired (Laugh).
I had to get a good grasp of the writer's intentions (despite the comments), that's why I couldn't show the good and bad sides of (Jang Do-han) at once. So I don't think I should care too much. 

Edited by selenette
  • Like 3

@leeemyis  I also cut this one for Lookout-related parts only. This one was from  https://t.co/1hSFbsi4t2

TRANSLATION 3.

MBC "Lookout" is a special work for Kim Young-kwang, who dreams of being the best actor.  It is his first work for which he transformed into a villain, and it is the first work that cemented his status as an actor. 

"When my previous dramas were over, I didn't think about what kind of scenes I shot, what I did with some people. "Lookout" seems to give me a lot to think of, and for a long time. (But) I don't want this drama to be the (only) point in my acting career."

AS I TURNED INTO JANG DO-HAN, I FELT LIKE I WAS ASSEMBLING A PUZZLE. 
When we last met him, Jang Do-han saved his friend Jo Soo-ji and fell to the bottom of the building, and so was killed. The death of Yoon Si-wan, the axis of evil, was left unclear. 

"I thought the ending would be 'sweet potatoes' and 'cider' (meaning: bittersweet character developments, a Korean slang),but regrettably the script was different. I tried my best to convey the script faithfully, but (in it) I found the possibility that Do-han couldn't overcome Si-wan. Personally, I'd like to think that Si-wan is dead." 

When asked about the possibility of Season 2, he vowed to consider it positively. There was a passion for acting from him who brought us Jang Do-han. He was worried about the (execution of) the  latter parts of the story.

"He chose to die for the atonement. But (the way) we (showed) it makes it seem like it was an accident, instead of a sacrifice.  I (still) think that he made a sacrifice, (but) it would've been nice if there was a scene that showed how he made that decision.

There were lots of outdoor scenes at the end of shooting, but we couldn't shoot them because of the rainy season. The rooftop scene was originally set in a different location. " 

Kim Young-kwang felt the fun of acting while choosing this work. I asked what the fun was, and the answer was (readily) provided. "I felt like I was spreading a few pictures on my desk randomly and assembling them like a jigsaw puzzle." 

■ "I WAS SO LONELY, I FELT AS IF EVERYONE HATED ME, TOO" 

He had done much research on hairstyles, facial expressions, and costumes for (Jang Do-han's) masquerading revenge. He recalled that it was good to have a lot of time to prepare. "I didn't have time to prepare for my previous works, but this time I had a lot of time to study. I tested my acting, set up the emotions I felt around the lookouts, the preparations needed to be done by the logistics, and the like. In terms of costumes color, I tried to use bright colors in the early stages and to achromatic colors in the later stages. " 

Without hesitation, Kim Young-kwang confessed that he was lonely during the difficult periods of shooting.

"The deeper we were in the second half (of Lookout), I felt (Jang Do-han)'s acute loneliness so keenly. (I felt as if) the prosecutors and even the lookouts hated me, too. After all, they'd been together for a while ...
I became so lonely in reality, so much that I forgot that (Jang Do-han's) feelings weren't mine. (During such times), I used to watch pictures of a puppy I'm currently raising, in my car. " 

Edited by selenette
  • Like 3

@selenette you are so awesome and the best! Thank you for translating. I am very appreciate it! 

I love the drama from start to end although I wish the writer could have conclude a little better. If there is a possibility for a season 2, I hope all the casts can return. My Monday and Tuesday isn't the same without Lookout. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, leeemyis said:

@selenette you are so awesome and the best! Thank you for translating. I am very appreciate it! 

I love the drama from start to end although I wish the writer could have conclude a little better. If there is a possibility for a season 2, I hope all the casts can return. My Monday and Tuesday isn't the same without Lookout. 

I feel you . Thanks @selenette. I still think about this drama. Right now my current ongoing ones do not give me the same emotional pull the way this drama did. Sigh . 

I'm not quite at peace with the ending as well  @stroppyse . To me he was murdered, how is that atonement? Sniff ..

• Like 3

On 7/17/2017 at 5:44 PM, leeemyis said:

@stroppyse Thank you so much for your help. I am very appreciate it. Here are the links. I am so sorry for bothering your time.

http://m.nocutnews.co.kr/news/4816175

http://nocutnews.co.kr/news/4816176

http://thestar.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/07/17/2017071702086.html

I think there is more. When I found more links I will post it up. I am so sorry if the links (news) are repeated. If only I can read Korean then it wouldn't be so hard. Again, thank you so much.

Sorry, I've been away for a few days. However, it looks as if @selenette has already translated the news articles you wanted. Thanks!

@triplem, yes, I still feel sad thinking about the ending. I suppose that the ending has stayed with me as long as it has because it was so sad? I don't care. I really enjoyed watching it, but I doubt I'll be able to watch it again knowing that DH(GH) is heading to his own death... 

• Like 2

I allowed myself a couple of weeks to see if I would change my mind about Lookout.

I still love it.  The drama remains dear to my heart because of those emotions you've all mentioned.  I'd recommend it to others with an asterik-ed footnote about the ending. :D

@selenette  Thank you for the translations.  We know they were shooting till the last minute.  I have always thought that Lookout would wrap up with the same kind of street action scenes by SJ similar to its opening sequence it so I was really confused why we get to see her fighting in the parking lot.  Now I know that the weather was against them even if they wanted to do something else.  I'd love to see another car vs. bike chase.  We would never know if the ending in another location other than the rooftop would have given more weight to DH's sacrifice.  Would be nice if the drama spends time on spotlighting him, his choice and sacrifice for atonement.  Those flashbacks of him wasn't enough for us viewers to pay "respect" to the character.

When SJ uttered those sad admission about DH's life.  How he lead a difficult life to end up hurt, misunderstood alone in the hospital room. It was so sad for me. What she said would be better a hundred-fold if it was in the eulogy she gives at priest GW's cathedral.  I can't imagine a more appropriate place for us to say good bye to DH than at the only place where he can find peace and solace.  It was our last image of him so I thought he should be remembered and acknowledged by those who loved and knew him. Publicly and surrounded by love.

@louisawatson  I forgot to mention how much I like the convo between SJ and EJ when she was in the car with SA to the rooftop.  She thanked him for everything he has done including turning in the phone.  When he said he was just doing his job, she replied that doing his job is the hardest thing.  I imagined the same could be said about DH.  I miss their chance to be friends.  I like how they kept EJ character consistent to the end.  Wish they did the same for SooAe.

The ending feels unfinished and bittersweet.  We owed DH a chance to have his life and his work acknowledged as something good so that he can feel good for once. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I forgot to mention how much I like the convo between SJ and EJ when she was in the car with SA to the rooftop.  She thanked him for everything he has done including turning in the phone.  When he said he was just doing his job, she replied that doing his job is the hardest thing.  I imagined the same could be said about DH.  I miss their chance to be friends.  I like how they kept EJ character consistent to the end.  Wish they did the same for SooAe.

The ending feels unfinished and bittersweet.  We owed DH a chance to have his life and his work acknowledged as something good so that he can feel good for once.

yeah, i also loved SJ and EJ's phone call. and yes, SooAe's character got weird. i understand that she's the type of character who gets emotional at certain parts and there is difference between watching someone and being that someone in the situation, but still it seems forced. she's higher up cop who must have experienced so much situations similar to this, and she was so careful and reasonable when she was dealing with emotional SJ who tried to kill/hurt SiWan in the beginning. i don't believe SooAe would have acted as she did in the drama at the end.

ending definitely feels unfinished. also DH's work might not be exactly considered as good, but overall it seems Lookout Team is thankful and understanding of DH at the final moment of the drama. they miss him in a way.

but i would be happy if we have Lookout Season 2 with DoHan secretly alive.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, louisawatson said:

i would be happy if we have Lookout Season 2 with DoHan secretly alive.

I second this! It's true @bedifferent , it's still one of my favourites this year, even though the ending was painful for me. No regrets watching. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, louisawatson said:

but i would be happy if we have Lookout Season 2 with DoHan secretly alive.

Yeah, :D Season 2 is possible but not immediately since LSY is going to be a mom.

One more thing, about Siwan, how we are left uncertain if he was dead.  Maybe the writer wanted Siwan to be imprisoned in this comatose state.  I think it is a fate almost as bad as death... he can't get closure. He's alone and left forgotten in a room somewhere in some hospital.  No one cares or remembers him.  His family can't grieve for him.  His mom is dealt with having to continue taking care of someone in a vegetative state.  It's also her punishment.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

One more thing, about Siwan, how we are left uncertain if he was dead.  Maybe the writer wanted Siwan to be imprisoned in this comatose state.  I think it is a fate almost as bad as death... he can't get closure. He's alone and left forgotten in a room somewhere in some hospital.  No one cares or remembers him.  His family can't grieve for him.  His mom is dealt with having to continue taking care of someone in a vegetative state.  It's also her punishment.

yeah, i was upset that they don't give us conclusion of SiWan. we don't know if DoHan's death was worth it. but i have this feeling that SiWan's mom has confessed at the end. the phone call to the cops seem to indicate that she has gave up on her son even though she feels sorry and guilty for what SiWan has become. also, the last scene where she talked freely with his husband, SeungRo, at the prision about what SiWan has become and how she feels guilty of it, tells me that the talk happened after she has finished confessing SiWan's crimes to the cops.

• Like 2

Are they never ever going to release that soundtrack that we all are waiting for? I hope they do. Exhausted and curious for the release of the soundtrack. 

• Like 2

KEBEE – WATCHMEN OF THE NIGHT (새벽의 파수꾼) LOOKOUT OST

Since the morning, I look at the news on my phone
Not really interested in most of it
I comment on some and laugh at the others
Things happen without warning but they don’t apply to me
But if I believe that, the villain smiles right in front of me
Grossly, with a distorted face
Then we get closer to the ground, hiding from the world
Even if some think it’s unrealistic, it’s all part of reality
Every important date is connected to some happening
So when everyone is out to play, someone is keeping their silence
On a city built on ice, let’s burn the fire of truth
Make a fire, make a fire even more
Protect this path so we don’t forget the faraway sighs
The city keeps blinking like bloodshot eyes
When no one can see, hurry and steal the darkness
It’s always much more painful on bright days
But the pain will now heal in the darkness

Spoiler

With vice, shout out loud
(To save us)
Tell those who draw lines
(Those who try to control us)
(To save us)

Human skin is so thin
Just slightly piercing makes you bleed
Is that how humans always were?
Is that how it always was?
But no matter how much I pierce you…
Maybe you’re not human

yeah, their voices pierce like a weapon
yeah, people who believe in that enjoy it like it’s a show
yeah, haha hoho, racking their brains in this fight
yeah, haha hoho, spending money on pleasure
To players who watch , this city is just an arena
Let’s go, find the criminal with the whistle
With the law on their necks, they’re nothing but eels in front of the gate
Always pathetic in front of a greater power
yeah, sometimes pain comes from the closest place
yeah, you steal away even before you feel that
yeah, hungry and looking at your late night menu
yeah, the plan is all set, welcome to hell
Each picture, each piece
Every night, we get closer to the secret
We’re watchmen, standing where we can fully light
Our hearts are written with justice

(To save us)
(To save us)

Human skin is so thin
Just slightly piercing makes you bleed
Is that how humans always were?
Is that how it always was?
But no matter how much I pierce you…
Maybe you’re not human

POPGASA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally the OST that we all are waiting for is released.  That was long but it's still better than never. Thanks much to @blademan and @plappi for sharing. Great song and the best drama of 2017. Looking forward to new project by these amazing actors in the future. 

• Like 2

Watching this drama until the end was a real challenge, for me: I loved the idea of having a badass heroine and two young sidekicks, but the angst was just TOO MUCH, since the beginning.
I'm not a "light stuff" lover, I don't necessarily expect or prefer a happy ending, I usually don't like romcoms and I prefer action-packed series, but I found Lookout to be painfully frustrating to watch until the end: maybe it was too long, maybe I'm non completely satisfied with the final episodes... I don't know what else to say. :-/ 

24 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

Watching this drama until the end was a real challenge, for me: I loved the idea of having a badass heroine and two young sidekicks, but the angst was just TOO MUCH, since the beginning.
I'm not a "light stuff" lover, I don't necessarily expect or prefer a happy ending, I usually don't like romcoms and I prefer action-packed series, but I found Lookout to be painfully frustrating to watch until the end: maybe it was too long, maybe I'm non completely satisfied with the final episodes... I don't know what else to say. :-/ 

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there's NO such a thing as a "fair" amount of bad luck in life, but (in a script) there must be a credible amount of it, otherwise it just becomes and endless, full-on "angst feast"...