[Drama 2017] Lookout, 파수꾼

0ly40

I allowed myself a couple of weeks to see if I would change my mind about Lookout.

I still love it.  The drama remains dear to my heart because of those emotions you've all mentioned.  I'd recommend it to others with an asterik-ed footnote about the ending. :D

@selenette  Thank you for the translations.  We know they were shooting till the last minute.  I have always thought that Lookout would wrap up with the same kind of street action scenes by SJ similar to its opening sequence it so I was really confused why we get to see her fighting in the parking lot.  Now I know that the weather was against them even if they wanted to do something else.  I'd love to see another car vs. bike chase.  We would never know if the ending in another location other than the rooftop would have given more weight to DH's sacrifice.  Would be nice if the drama spends time on spotlighting him, his choice and sacrifice for atonement.  Those flashbacks of him wasn't enough for us viewers to pay "respect" to the character.

When SJ uttered those sad admission about DH's life.  How he lead a difficult life to end up hurt, misunderstood alone in the hospital room. It was so sad for me. What she said would be better a hundred-fold if it was in the eulogy she gives at priest GW's cathedral.  I can't imagine a more appropriate place for us to say good bye to DH than at the only place where he can find peace and solace.  It was our last image of him so I thought he should be remembered and acknowledged by those who loved and knew him. Publicly and surrounded by love.

@louisawatson  I forgot to mention how much I like the convo between SJ and EJ when she was in the car with SA to the rooftop.  She thanked him for everything he has done including turning in the phone.  When he said he was just doing his job, she replied that doing his job is the hardest thing.  I imagined the same could be said about DH.  I miss their chance to be friends.  I like how they kept EJ character consistent to the end.  Wish they did the same for SooAe.

The ending feels unfinished and bittersweet.  We owed DH a chance to have his life and his work acknowledged as something good so that he can feel good for once. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I forgot to mention how much I like the convo between SJ and EJ when she was in the car with SA to the rooftop.  She thanked him for everything he has done including turning in the phone.  When he said he was just doing his job, she replied that doing his job is the hardest thing.  I imagined the same could be said about DH.  I miss their chance to be friends.  I like how they kept EJ character consistent to the end.  Wish they did the same for SooAe.

The ending feels unfinished and bittersweet.  We owed DH a chance to have his life and his work acknowledged as something good so that he can feel good for once.

yeah, i also loved SJ and EJ's phone call. and yes, SooAe's character got weird. i understand that she's the type of character who gets emotional at certain parts and there is difference between watching someone and being that someone in the situation, but still it seems forced. she's higher up cop who must have experienced so much situations similar to this, and she was so careful and reasonable when she was dealing with emotional SJ who tried to kill/hurt SiWan in the beginning. i don't believe SooAe would have acted as she did in the drama at the end.

ending definitely feels unfinished. also DH's work might not be exactly considered as good, but overall it seems Lookout Team is thankful and understanding of DH at the final moment of the drama. they miss him in a way.

but i would be happy if we have Lookout Season 2 with DoHan secretly alive.

3 minutes ago, louisawatson said:

but i would be happy if we have Lookout Season 2 with DoHan secretly alive.

Yeah, :D Season 2 is possible but not immediately since LSY is going to be a mom.

One more thing, about Siwan, how we are left uncertain if he was dead.  Maybe the writer wanted Siwan to be imprisoned in this comatose state.  I think it is a fate almost as bad as death... he can't get closure. He's alone and left forgotten in a room somewhere in some hospital.  No one cares or remembers him.  His family can't grieve for him.  His mom is dealt with having to continue taking care of someone in a vegetative state.  It's also her punishment.

38 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

One more thing, about Siwan, how we are left uncertain if he was dead.  Maybe the writer wanted Siwan to be imprisoned in this comatose state.  I think it is a fate almost as bad as death... he can't get closure. He's alone and left forgotten in a room somewhere in some hospital.  No one cares or remembers him.  His family can't grieve for him.  His mom is dealt with having to continue taking care of someone in a vegetative state.  It's also her punishment.

yeah, i was upset that they don't give us conclusion of SiWan. we don't know if DoHan's death was worth it. but i have this feeling that SiWan's mom has confessed at the end. the phone call to the cops seem to indicate that she has gave up on her son even though she feels sorry and guilty for what SiWan has become. also, the last scene where she talked freely with his husband, SeungRo, at the prision about what SiWan has become and how she feels guilty of it, tells me that the talk happened after she has finished confessing SiWan's crimes to the cops.

KEBEE – WATCHMEN OF THE NIGHT (새벽의 파수꾼) LOOKOUT OST

Since the morning, I look at the news on my phone
Not really interested in most of it
I comment on some and laugh at the others
Things happen without warning but they don’t apply to me
But if I believe that, the villain smiles right in front of me
Grossly, with a distorted face
Then we get closer to the ground, hiding from the world
Even if some think it’s unrealistic, it’s all part of reality
Every important date is connected to some happening
So when everyone is out to play, someone is keeping their silence
On a city built on ice, let’s burn the fire of truth
Make a fire, make a fire even more
Protect this path so we don’t forget the faraway sighs
The city keeps blinking like bloodshot eyes
When no one can see, hurry and steal the darkness
It’s always much more painful on bright days
But the pain will now heal in the darkness

Spoiler

With vice, shout out loud
(To save us)
Tell those who draw lines
(Those who try to control us)
(To save us)

Human skin is so thin
Just slightly piercing makes you bleed
Is that how humans always were?
Is that how it always was?
But no matter how much I pierce you…
Maybe you’re not human

yeah, their voices pierce like a weapon
yeah, people who believe in that enjoy it like it’s a show
yeah, haha hoho, racking their brains in this fight
yeah, haha hoho, spending money on pleasure
To players who watch , this city is just an arena
Let’s go, find the criminal with the whistle
With the law on their necks, they’re nothing but eels in front of the gate
Always pathetic in front of a greater power
yeah, sometimes pain comes from the closest place
yeah, you steal away even before you feel that
yeah, hungry and looking at your late night menu
yeah, the plan is all set, welcome to hell
Each picture, each piece
Every night, we get closer to the secret
We’re watchmen, standing where we can fully light
Our hearts are written with justice

(To save us)
(To save us)

Human skin is so thin
Just slightly piercing makes you bleed
Is that how humans always were?
Is that how it always was?
But no matter how much I pierce you…
Maybe you’re not human

POPGASA

• 9 months later...

Watching this drama until the end was a real challenge, for me: I loved the idea of having a badass heroine and two young sidekicks, but the angst was just TOO MUCH, since the beginning.
I'm not a "light stuff" lover, I don't necessarily expect or prefer a happy ending, I usually don't like romcoms and I prefer action-packed series, but I found Lookout to be painfully frustrating to watch until the end: maybe it was too long, maybe I'm non completely satisfied with the final episodes... I don't know what else to say. :-/ 

24 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

Watching this drama until the end was a real challenge, for me: I loved the idea of having a badass heroine and two young sidekicks, but the angst was just TOO MUCH, since the beginning.
I'm not a "light stuff" lover, I don't necessarily expect or prefer a happy ending, I usually don't like romcoms and I prefer action-packed series, but I found Lookout to be painfully frustrating to watch until the end: maybe it was too long, maybe I'm non completely satisfied with the final episodes... I don't know what else to say. :-/ 

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there's NO such a thing as a "fair" amount of bad luck in life, but (in a script) there must be a credible amount of it, otherwise it just becomes and endless, full-on "angst feast"... 

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2017] Lookout, 파수꾼

Archived