[Drama 2017] Criminal Minds 크리미널 마인드

Admin

Hold up!!! Are they confirmed or naw? *slowly facepalm* You can't be talking about shooting in 10 days and be like "Well we are still negotiating with the actors so they can still pretty much drop out on the 16th or the day of the shooting." Oye! My headache is back and need to sleep anyway. Let's pray they do shoot on the 17th with the said cast while they are still figuring out stuffs after over a year. Then since they changed channel and NEW is out of the game, I guess they had to regroup. I would have prefered OCN though since it's the sister channel of TVN but better than KBS I guess. Anyway, goodnight lol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Friday, 7 April, 2017 at 2:11 AM, jongski said:

Yes! I've been wanting to watch him in modern drama because.. the last  drama I've seen starring LJK was.....time between dog and a wolf.. something like that! Ha ha.  So happy to see MCW back on dramaland!  and I noticed LSB! one of my fav newcomers.

Gonna check this one one! thanks y'all for the updates!

hahaha me too!! that drama so old like years ago.
it's about time LJK come back to the real world. :)

hope they will produce this drama well, with great story line. i watched CM american till season 4, and i loved it.

For a crime drama, more thrilling is better.

Arggh soompi writer, if you are not sure please don't do a write up.Whats with the "cast are tuning up"blah blah.Thats just confusing.write when everything is verified.They said a "source" told them, how reliable is that source? I am hoping no one from the original lineup will back out please don't.The casting as it is, is solid.Maybe they can interchange the extras but don't mess with the main Ensemble please chusseyo.no wonder dramabeans is quiet about this.Someone needs to fix that article it will only bring the drama morale down. they are many who are hyped about the show, this is not the time to be writing confusing articles like that.The last thing JG needs is to be having the drama he is starring him to have low morale because of bad, misinformed publicity.

I hope they still air it in July though that's the best slot in the year for us.I mean they shouldn't rush if at all their unprepared, but I think that is the best time before the audiences get divided.The second half of kdrama 2017 from August to December looks like it will be headlined by top stars on all three main stations(KBS,SBS, and MBC) so if we can get ahead of the game.That will be an advantageous if TVN is after ratings.

But in any case, I guess we all prefer quality over ratings right?

15 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

I hope so. It bothered me now because of 

Hide contents

JG's dating news had cause divided opinions among his fans. Also the public's first impression of the dating "scandal" had left a not very good impression. I hope the production is not depended on this matter and still consider JG's casting. The line up is perfect already. I hope they won't shake it anymore.

Thanks @Jillia. Im having my hopes high to have this production proceed smoothly once and for all. I am quite worried haha. Twitter chingus pray that there will be no instance to happen here like what happened in Gab Soon. Lee Hana attended but backed out during the last minute. 

Omo crossed fingers.

I hope TVN is not that shallow.

Spoiler

This drama is not even a romance drama and I don't think the demographic of the target market  for this drama is concerned about actuors having a girlfriend

10 minutes ago, Jillia said:

And judging from the article it almost sounds like July isn't set in stone when they want to go for a 100% pre-produced drama. If they want to air the drama in July though they have to shelve the 100% pre-production.

Personally I can wait a little longer if they're not completely ready.

Totally agree. I would rather wait and let them fully pre-produced the drama. Although not guarantee, but drama such as CM will benefits more with full pre-production. From yesterday articles, they mentioned that they wants to start filming on 17th because there are many big action scenes in the beginning. I want them to keep the quality till the very end. And not go down the hill from mid part like most half pre-produced dramas. 

12 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

I hope so. It bothered me now because of 

Hide contents

JG's dating news had cause divided opinions among his fans. Also the public's first impression of the dating "scandal" had left a not very good impression. I hope the production is not depended on this matter and still consider JG's casting. The line up is perfect already. I hope they won't shake it anymore.

Let's cross fingers that nothing changed with the already lined up cast from yesterday script reading. 

@LyraYoo I just read what you said about in hidden content.I say don't worry too much about that.If it was that way, they wouldn't have announced the casting confirmation the very next day after the news broke out.Also online opinions tend to exaggerate the situation at hand.There are many other high profile actors who have had worse "controversies" but still manage to do just fine and score Hit Drama and it's as if netizens suffer memory loss and praise them for their success to the high heavens and producers don't back out or change drama schedule.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Song Hye Kyo: alleged "tax evasion "controversy" and that was just months before she was cast in DOTS.

Lee Jong Suk: He has been plagued with alleged attitude problems aka celeb disease accusations since 2014 till today but he has since been cast in W and now the latest drama with Suzy.

Han Hyo Joo: There was an alleged accusation about her brother that he bullied and drove a military comrade to suicide and they say she blocked media coverage of this.

There are many more:Jun Ji Hyun, Kim Soo Hyun.

But months after, they starred in main broadcasting station drama and had hits.So what you see online is not always the general public opinion.

As for JG I dont think his image has been tainted to the extreme of booting him out of drama or changing drama schedule.As for fans, ppssst those are mostly teen to twenties.They will come round once the drama start airing.Also I bet you no Korean Ajusshi, Hyungs who are the target audience due to nature of this show actually cares about a reality show "controversy" that had -1 to 1% rating.

Also from all these names, JG has the most positive public image and maybe Jun Ji Hyun too. and after all, this while JG's image has been fairly clean until this dating news came out .The industry and public are more lenient towards male actors, the extremely talented or those who are marketable internationally and bring in the most money.Thats why people like Lee Bun Hyun still get box office hit after hit without being exiled even if they have numerous alleged "controversy".Whether that's right or wrong is another thing but that's how it is.

If it's a serious moral "controversy" or a crime that's another story.JG's it's not that serious and not really a controversy if I was to be honest.Korea holds JG in very high regard as an actor.so I don't think he will be thrown out that easily.

Spoiler

Also internationally, there will be loads of  Americans who will be watching to see how Korean have remade their drama.AlsoThats where JG has a fairly large fanbase outside of Asia.I bet their laughing their heads at this nonsense dating news/candy show controversy.Its dying down any way.give it a month or two and this will be all forgotten or they will move to the next available gossip.

@LyraYoo delete after you have read hidden contents to avoid misunderstanding.my reply is only specific to you.

Before we panic, I check on the raw google translation.  I think Soompi didn't translate it as per actual source but re-wrote it according to their opinion. I think they are hungry for controversy. I think we can come up with our own interpretation. :)

Criminal Mind 'finished reading the script ... Production commencement · July formation

The Korean version of 'Criminal Mind' goes into production.

The TVN new drama "Criminal Mind", which is being prepared for July, will begin full-scale production with full script reading at CJ E & M Center in Sangam-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul on July 7. On the day, the entire script was conducted with actors and officials attending, including Hyun Joo Son, Lee Jun Ki and Moon Chae Won.

According to the official, the entire film will be read beginning on the 17th. Although it is aimed at preliminary production in the beginning, there is possibility of becoming pre-production according to the situation. In particular, actors have not yet confirmed their appearances.

An official said, "The actors first attended the script reading, and the appearance is in final concert. We are in final negotiations with the production team considering that it is possible to get off according to the situation. " (It says it's negotiating with the production team - I think rather than change of actor, they might be referring to change of schedule e.g. broadcast date could be push back later than July which is fine for quality assurance.)

'Criminal Mind' is an American CBS drama, which was broadcast worldwide in the first season of 2005. This is the first time to be remade with the domestic version. Taiyuan Entertainment, which produced the drama 'Iris', and studio dragon, CJ E & M drama studio, will co-produce. Here are the ABC Studios in the US and Disney Media Studios.

Also, the colorful line-ups such as Son Hyun-joo, Lee Jun-ki, Moon Chae Won, Yoo Sun, Lee Sun Bin, It is noteworthy whether a remake will be born again after the "Good Wife" last year.

Donghae.com reporter Hong Se-young projecthong@donga.com

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=382&aid=0000555485

TvN side "" Criminal Mind "July goal setting ... Casting final coordination"

[Exporters News] The 'Criminal Mind' meets the audience in the coming summer.

"The 'Criminal Mind' is coordinating details with the aim of organizing in July," a TV official said in an e-newsletter on the 5th.

'Criminal Mind' is an American drama about the process of resolving crimes through the profiling technique of criminals by profiling technique. The Korean version of 'Criminal Mind' is produced by Taewon Entertainment together with ABC Studios and Disney Media Distributions.

Actors Son Hyun-joo, Lee Jun Ki, Moon Chae Won, etc., have been nominated for the casting, and the final coordination is under way.

Lyy@xportsnews.com / Photos = Exports News DB

http://www.xportsnews.com/jenter/?ac=article_view&entry_id=837653&_REFERER=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xportsnews.com%2F%3Fac%3Darticle_search%26skey%3Dtc%26sword%3D%ED%81%AC%EB%A6%AC%EB%AF%B8%EB%84%90%2B%EB%A7%88%EC%9D%B8%EB%93%9C%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

Forgot to mention this. From yesterday article, here  it said that the production cost for CM will be twice more than tvN's other dramas

-edit-

New article on CM. It's going to be the biggest budget production by tvN in total as well as per episode cost  and also going to be largest drama production by both tvN and CJe&M. Before CM, Goblin was the biggest big budget drama for the network and CM is expected to cost more.

37 minutes ago, mulberry9 said:

Forgot to mention this. From yesterday article, here  it said that the production cost for CM will be twice more than tvN's other dramas

-edit-

New article on CM. It's going to be the biggest budget production by tvN in total as well as per episode cost and also going to be largest drama production by CJE&M that goes to tvN. Before CM, Goblin was the biggest big budget drama for the network and CM is expected to cost more.

The budget info is quite promising. I hope they'd really put more money onto the production than on marketing.

With Goblin, I think they spent too much on the marketing rather than on actual cost in making the drama. They may have the rating they wanted but they've compromised the quality of the drama which was quite disappointing. I am probably of the the few dislike this drama so I don't my opinion matters. :):) 

I think a bigger budget will help give the drama greater authenticity in visuals which is probably needed in a show that combines police procedural and psychological thriller elements. If you've been reading me on Soompi for a while you'll know that I am one of those people who are for 100% pre-production. It doesn't mean they can't stuff it up but it is better for the overall well-being of the actors and it probably gives the creative people more control over the kind of show they want to make rather than be beholden to ratings.

It's not that tvN can do no wrong but they have a good track record with giving their creative teams a lot more freedom to tell their stories. For better or worse. :wink: At the end of the day what we all want is to enjoy a good story that we can connect with. I'm content that they seem to be putting their best foot forward for this one. It tells me at least that they REALLY want this to work. Of course I would prefer a team of writers (like how US and UK shows tend to be done) as it prevents the echo chamber syndrome.

I do think think that some of the more creative stuff in SK is happening on cable right now so an adaptation of a highly popular US crime show on cable is the best place for it. There's a ready made audience. People who watched Signal, Voice, Bad Guys will most likely turn up for this one. They don't seem to need romance in their shows or great amounts of it at least. 

As far as the logistical side to things are concerned, I'm optimistic. But to hold the audience, it's the writing that will make or break it.

Out of curiousity, I checked the production cost of other big budget dramas. Here are some of the examples. 

- Goblin spent 900 million won per episode. The total production cost = 16 billion won for 16 episodes

- Moon Lover = 15 billion for 20 episodes

- DotS = 13 billion for 16 episodes

- IRIS and Athena (which are Taewon Entertainment's productions, same as CM) spent 20 billion (each) for the total of 20 episodes

So, CM will at least spend similar amount as IRIS or more. It's a huge number. Hopefully, the finishing product (aka quality) will reflect the amount they spent.

1 hour ago, mulberry9 said:

Out of curiousity, I checked the production cost of other big budget dramas. Here are some of the examples. 

- Goblin spent 900 million won per episode. So the total production cost = 16 billion won for 16 episodes.

- Moon Lover = 15 million for 20 episodes

- DotS = 13 million for 16 episodes

- IRIS and Athena (which are Taewon Entertainment's productions, same as CM) spent 20 billion (each) for the total of 2p episodes

So, CM will at least spend similar amount as IRIS or more. It's a huge number. Hopefully, the finishing product (aka quality) will reflect the amount they spent.

Goblin cost more than DOST? Wasn't Goblin almost like a live drama? 

Athena and Iris still hold as the most expensive because it was made many years ago so we have to factor inflation. 

Surprisingly, Moon Lovers has the lowest production cost yet they have the highest revenue overall per Producers perspectives.

If CM generates the same revenue as Moon Lovers or more, plus domestically it will become a big time hit in the ratings as Goblin, wow ! CJE&M Group will benefit double whammy as they are the broadcasting station and the producer at he same time. Fingers crossed for a quality drama as a priority. 

On Saturday, April 08, 2017 at 8:00 PM, missmaudy said:

Goblin cost more than DOST? Wasn't Goblin almost like a live drama? 

Based from the today's article (here) then, yes. Since Goblin was also produced by Studio Dragon, they made comparison to CM's budget. The article stated that Goblin spent 900M won per-episode and total of 16B won for 16 episodes. CM will be higher since it has 20 episodes in total and that 900M is still an estimation but it will definitely the highest drama that tvN and CJe&M will ever produced to date. Back to Goblin, they also had overseas filming (Quebec) and I suppose..the they spent quite a bunch on CGI effect since they have a lot of that in the drama.

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2017] Criminal Minds 크리미널 마인드 - Lee Joon Gi, Moon Chae Won, Son Hyun Joo
5 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

About Son Hyun Joo, like most of us here predict, he may take Hotch's character. 

Drama Series

Awards

Lol Is that MCW in your avi? What the heck is she doing? I hope she keeps her extensions. I was not a fan of her haircut in Goodbye Mr Black. 

Thanks for opening the thread! I was waiting for the confirmation of the cast for what seemed like ages to me so I'm overly thrilled we finally have it now ^_^ But I really hope Kim Young Chul is on board, too, though I wonder how he's going to pull it off with his other drama still airing if they want to broadcast in July. Anyway, I'm happy we finally have a thread :lol:

Let me share some info on CM I digged up a while ago because I couldn't wait. So I "stalked" Taewon Entertainment who seemed to be the most responsible producer for CM. First, here's part of an interview with producer Jung Tae Won from 2016/11/26 and he mentioned his vision for Criminal Minds. This gives us some hint as to what kind of remake we can expect:

I purchased the copyright remake of the popular criminal series 'Criminal Minds'. I'm preparing my Korean version now. (...) Based on the original work, I will remake the action and melody appropriately according to Korean emotion. Keep the character and background intact, but if you change the details, the story will continue to evolve. (...)

By the end of November, the Korean version of the 'Criminal Minds' synopsis competition is on the way. "The original drama has 12 seasons and 20 seasons to 24 episodes. I wanted to know what episodes of the original series viewers would want to see in the Korean version. In addition, TV drama enthusiasts are more than creative writers nowadays. If you find an applicant who has a fresh idea and a good writing skill in the competition, I will join him as an assistant writer in the Korean version of Criminal Minds."

http://news.joins.com/article/20929203 based on Google Translation

By now, the synopsis competition has already ended and three winners have been announced on February 3 (all info about this on http://www.taewon.com/). Those who participated in the competition were supposed to make a synopsis of one or more episodes from season 1-7 in about 4 sheets of paper and adapt it to Korean viewers taste - so it wasn't a full script competition. I actually like that the producers first collected opinions and inspriration from TV drama viewers through this competition to make sure what viewers like and perhaps incorporate some of them into the script or let talented writers join as assistants. 

So, for everyone who's thinking about (re-)watching some CM episodes now, these are the three synopses of episodes who won the competition so there's a possibility we'll get to see them incorporated into the remake:

S04E05 Catching Out

S01E06 L.D.S.K

S04E25 To Hell

Next, as for the writer(s), there's some (still unconfirmed?) info on the net that the initial writer is Hong Seung Hyun (Hot Blood, Cheo Yong and Cheo Yong 2) as we already know and the screenwriter who will oversee the script Choi Wan Kyu (All In, Love Story in Harvard, Jumong, Gourmet, Midas, Triangle, The Flower in Prison). If anyone got some official confirmation of that I'd be grateful! Don't know what exactly that will mean but when it comes to scripts - if it's not some genius writer - I always think the more the merrier is what will give us a solid story. And maybe they added a rookie writer from the synopsis competition to add some young spirit, too :D

I think we can be safe to say that the producers managed to create the best circumstances for this project and are still trying to do so at this moment which is why they take their time to release more info. But I prefer this approach over overhasty decisions. The circumstances so far seem good: A great and talented cast, experienced director Yang Yun Ho, big budget, contract with tvN, late night time slot which is only appropriate for a show of this nature, fan feedback through synopsis competition, solid writer(s), and so on.

Wow! Those are the three episodes? I remember binge watching this whole show and watching those episodes. I agree the "Catching Out" episode wasn't my favorite either. But L.D.S.K. was a good episode (It was when Reid learned how to shoot right and showing how cool Hotch is). And I always liked the two parters in the TV show. - I still hope they have something similar to Hotch & the Reaper or Reid & Maeve. Or possibly have the infamous Mr. Scratch??? 

Archived