[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] The Legend of Dragon Pearl 龙珠传奇

sugarplum892

@rosierosie Yes, I watched the whole thing. I was marathoning the episodes at one point so the drama does have merit. The series was conceived as 62 45-min episodes but was cut into 30-min episodes due to the timeslot it was assigned, causing the number of episodes to become ninety.

I do hope you will watch it any way. Besides Yangzi and Qin Junjie, there are other good actors and actresses here like Shu Chang and Mao Zijun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 4:56 PM, bluehibiscus said:

@rosierosie Yes, I watched the whole thing. I was marathoning the episodes at one point so the drama does have merit. The series was conceived as 62 45-min episodes but was cut into 30-min episodes due to the timeslot it was assigned, causing the number of episodes to become ninety.

I do hope you will watch it any way. Besides Yangzi and Qin Junjie, there are other good actors and actresses here like Shu Chang and Mao Zijun.

I watched it up to ep 70 on PCCD. Unfortunately, the FB group got deactivated or reported??? I'm going to see if I can watch it on other sites :). I think the storyline is good. The acting is good too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_muUMcqILYGX2GLrUrJu33705.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTvtkOuoLgnS2jgzk59JC

I hope there is someday a part 2 but if not than I will still be glad that I took the time to watch this Cdrama.  It was a bit of a shock realizing there really wasn't 90 episodes and only 62 but it didn't take away from or change the way I felt about everything in which I had seen.  The story was interesting from the beginning and the love story that the OTP's chemistry created was magical to view.

The struggles in which these two faced together and apart expressed so much emotion and brought up some things even couples in reality face today.  Being brought up to believe in ones family and their ideas wanting to respect and give honor to those you love.  Yet also wanting the freedom to follow ones own heart in loving someone of your own choosing.  Being honest in all things even when receiving acceptance doesn't seem possible.  Still letting go which might seem so easy to everyone else is impossible for you and your heart...

For love no matter how brief or given forever, whether there is a future or not.  The giving and receiving of ones heart and self isn't something that can easily be stopped...

@USAFarmgirl I completely agreed!!! It was heart breaking to see how torn Yihuan is between her loyalty to her clan; and her love for Kangxi. She is in the middle of all the chaos. In the end, she did what was right for her. I don't blame her for leaving at all. It was a bittersweet ending, an open-ended. Even though the drama was so long, the comedy, action and romance really hyped up the drama for me. Yihuan is a funny female lead character; she is witty, smart, kind, silly, playful, and hilarious. Also, love the side characters too, the love triangle between the ML and side characters were entertaining to watched^^. A part 2 would be nice to see; wonder if Kangxi and Yihuan would be together then~? 

@rosierosie @USAFarmgirl I have added my thoughts on what might have been the original ending in the post linking to the deleted scenes video as I think they make more sense there.

If the sequels (part 2-4) ever get made, I don’t think they will end up together because the barriers between them are just too great (her real birthright/identity, their loyalties to their families, opposition from other parties etc). I think they will reconcile their misunderstandings after collaborating to solve the conflicts/mysteries from the side stories and they eventually accept the best outcome for them is to wish each other well from afar.

Some of the noteworthy side characters who still have stories to tell are:

1) Eunuch Li/his twin brother

2) Wu Yingqi - his character still has a lot to be revealed and what will become of his romance with Yihuan’s shijie?

3) Qingcheng - she showed signs of turning radical and crossing over to the dark side after being rejected by Zhu.

@rosierosie @USAFarmgirl The scriptwriter revealed that the main reason the ending was cut like that was because the series exceeded the number of agreed episodes in the contract with the buyer and they felt trimming the earlier episodes will affect the flow and logic due to the intricacies of the plots. Given there was an intention to do a sequel at that time, they made the decision to cut out most of the last 6 episodes and include them in the sequel.

It was really ambitious of the scriptwriter to come up with so many arcs which require multiple seasons to develop and resolve. I find it a pity that the scriptwriter has chosen to charge a fee for reading the sequel to the novel. Her reasoning is that she is a professional writer who has to charge for the time and effort spent to write the novel and only true fans would be willing to pay for the story, which is true in a way, but if the story Is made free, it may gain a bigger following and momentum which can lead to the sequels to be made. Moreover, unless one lives in China, it is difficult to pay for the story.

Someone posted an account of the ending in the novel for Season 1 and a little about Season 2 (credit to skyblue629):

Spoiler

Basically, a month passes by after Yi Huan Ci Xuan leave the Forbidden City. There are schemes involved all around. The Grand dowager empress sends an army with her general, Abiqi, to annihilate the Pearl Valley and Yi Huan, but Jin Wang actually evacuated everyone beforehand and sets fire to the valley. When Yi Huan and Ci Xuan get back, they just see all the people gone and the valley on fire. They think the army was responsible. With no way to leave while surrounded by this many troops, Ci Xuan drugs Yi Huan with dairuomujisan, and pretends to Abiqi that she fell off the cliff. Abiqi then stabs Ci Xuan and throws him off the cliff. So heartbroken, Yi Huan searches for the body. Her dad and her other teachers show up and she sees him in a coffin, she faints, and when she wakes up Ci Xuan is buried. So with Ci Xuan presumed dead, and Yi Huan thinking that Kang Xi broke his promise , she swears to fulfill Ci Xuan’s dream of restoring Ming. She performs the marriage ceremony on Ci Xuan's grave. Then, she goes to the palace to confront Kang Xi. 

On Kang Xi’s side, he sent Mo Sheng to watch over Yi Huan since she took so long to come back. Due to several details that I omitted during the burning of Pearl Valley and his own personal desires not to see Yi Huan and Kang Xi together, he helps the masters lie to Kang Xi with a bloody robe and says that is all that is left of Yi Huan. He spends 3 days in a daze, the first day he spent thinking that she was by his side, talking to him. The second day he spends dreaming, about her leaving, about her death. The third day he considered dying, but ultimately he persevered because of the interest he promised Yi Huan. In the last episode’s scene, where the grand dowager empress laments in front of Kang Xi's room, he leaves not because he was moved by her words. He is frustrated that she keeps bringing up his father’s and his grandfather’s history. He is frustrated that she doesn’t trust him because he has fallen in love, and that she keeps bringing up old history. He decides that since they want him to be a heartless emperor, he will be one. Because the person Kang Xi (Long xiao di) died with Yi Huan's death.

Three months later, Yi Huan sets up a lantern to meet Kang Xi. He goes to see her to try to explain what has happened, since he was not the one to send the army to Pearl Valley, but she will not listen to a word she says. Kang Xi gives her a sword and says that she can kill him. She tells Kang Xi that she won't kill him, but he can kill her. If not, when she returns in 3 years, she will take his life and his empire.

Kang Xi ultimately lets her go, and commits to gathering power and being strong enough to protect her. Because he realized from the grand dowager empress ordering the army, that he is not strong enough. With this confrontation, Yi Huan leaves with her teachers to Taiwan, and season two is set up.

If only that entire story was presented, this drama would have been beautiful. I hope that this gets shown in season 2, because a lot of the story will be missing without it. In the second season 3 years has passed, and everyone has grown up and the main conflict will be reducing the powers of the fiefs. I have high hopes for this drama, and hopefully, it won’t be shredded to pieces by the editing.

Archived