Cast:

Chen Xiang

Guo Xiao Ting

Niu Zi Fan
Yu Bo
Zhou Wen Tao

Nicky Wu (cameo)

Synopsis:

A Step into the Past 寻秦记 is a Chinese web series adapted from a novel of the same name by Huang Yi. It tells the story of a man from the future who steps into the past and becomes embroiled in the political turmoils during the Warring States Era. 

cr dramapanda

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

A Step Into The Past 寻秦记 Raw Episodes

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to moderators 
angelangie l akinahana89 l LavelyShai

Oh is this a remake of the 2001 Hong Kong TVB classic Step Into the Past?  If so here's a quick synopsis!  

Spoiler

A modern man attempts to travel back in time so to win back his girlfriend who has broken up with him to marry another. Instead he is transported 2000 years back into Spring and Autumn Period of ancient China, where he befriends and becomes a teacher-mentor to a young forgotten but kindhearted prince, and finds himself embroiled into the making of history, politics and love. Little did he know this weak naive student of his, was to become Ying Zheng, ruthless founder of the Qin dynasty, who would go down in history as the tyrant  who unified China - the first Emperor of China Qin Shi Huangdi. 

That series will always remain one of my most beloved TV shows, and it's crazy to think it's been 16 years since. REALLY can't wait for this one, hope this remake will do it every justice. Louis Koo's performance as the witty, comedic but sympathetic Han Taifu (teacher Han) was gold, and whoever in this remake role will have some serious shoes to fill. 

2 hours ago, linh5000 said:

@peanutbutterjellytime Another drama discussion!! :D I truly love this drama when Louis Koo was the main character.  I still rewatch it from time to time! 

Hi!!! nice to see ya here too *waves* :D   YES Louis Koo was everything!!!  Wouldn't it be awesome if he gets a cameo appearance here just to satisfy the fans of the original?!  Step Into the Past never would've became the classic that it is without him. Sadly it was also one of the last good TVB dramas for me :(  

If this is indeed a remake, the only thing I hope this version changes is 

Spoiler

The main male ending up with two women.  As I was a little younger then, I didn't think too much of it. But rewatching it now, polygamy certainly doesn't sit too well with me.  Or am I alone on this? 

10 hours ago, peanutbutterjellytime said:

Hi!!! nice to see ya here too *waves* :D   YES Louis Koo was everything!!!  Wouldn't it be awesome if he gets a cameo appearance here just to satisfy the fans of the original?!  Step Into the Past never would've became the classic that it is without him. Sadly it was also one of the last good TVB dramas for me :(  

If this is indeed a remake, the only thing I hope this version changes is 

Hide contents

The main male ending up with two women.  As I was a little younger then, I didn't think too much of it. But rewatching it now, polygamy certainly doesn't sit too well with me.  Or am I alone on this? 

--- I think it's okay for that time period.  The story back then justified why he married both woman. Though I thought the girl (Jessica Hsaung)'s story was a bit more forceful. I didn't feel that he loved her as much as the other one.  I felt he was sorry for her being raped, that's why he married her.  He had more chemistry with the assassin. 

*waves* Funnily, I don't watch Chinese drama that much any more.  But it looks like 2017 and 2018 will change that.  

It was definitely on the best drama TVB ever made. And I believe it was Louis Koo's last appearance for TVB.

I hope the main character will be wearing a T-shirt and boxer walking around in ancient China. :D 

(see in hidden spoiler for other comments. )

12 hours ago, linh5000 said:

*waves* Funnily, I don't watch Chinese drama that much any more.  But it looks like 2017 and 2018 will change that.  

It was definitely on the best drama TVB ever made. And I believe it was Louis Koo's last appearance for TVB.

I hope the main character will be wearing a T-shirt and boxer walking around in ancient China. :D 

(see in hidden spoiler for other comments. )

Yup that was Louis' last TVB drama. And I stopped watching TVB dramas for awhile now, these days for C-series fix I tune into mainland Chinese dramas which has improved lots in quality and visuals. 

Hoping they manage to incorporate the humor that made the first one such a hit.  Might need to rewatch again before this one comes out :)  

Spoiler

Too many K-dramas and recent Chinese drama trend with the male lead who loves only one kinda ruined it for me I suppose :tongue:   Didn't like Louis with Sonija, thought he had better chemistry with Jessica Hsuan like in DIV 4  and enjoyed him with Joyce Tang. I even thought if he was gonna have more than one, might as well take her too!  

@peanutbutterjellytime looks like it's just me and you on this thread for now. :tongue: I also loved DIV 4!! Such a great drama. TVB story quality went way down and C-drama mainland did go up. 

Seriously, why didn't he just marry all three!?! I was wondering the same thing at the end. 

Truly hope this drama will have the same sense of humor. I do like traveling back in time story.  

• 8 months later...

Past-23.jpgPast-21.jpgPast-29.jpg

Chen Xiang and Guo Xiao Ting will be leading the remake of Huang Yi’s novel, which was adapted in 2001 by TVB called A Step Into The Past; the new adaptation has a mouthful name…. A Legend of A Modern Man Gets Back to Qin Dynasty, the story follows a police officer as he travels back in time to the warring periods of China and gets involved in many historical events leading to the unification of China under the Qin dynasty.

https://www.avirtualvoyage.net/2017/10/chen-xiang-and-guo-xiao-ting-lead-a-step-into-the-past-2017.html

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Webdrama 2018] A Step Into The Past 寻秦记
  • 3 weeks later...

I read 60% of the comments there... and I found one comment which kinda makes sense a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O-RZA5cQFI&lc=Ugw1a2b3G1meBXalbHh4AaABAg

"大多数的人思想还很封闭,不能接受新的东西". It figuratively means people are conservative by nature, can't accept new things.

Personally, I will not compare this to the novel and the 2001 TVB one. Oh, humans...
And I also noticed some foreigners asking for subs. It means it's good for them... or they simply did not see the flaws in it?

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just caught sight of this "remake" and I like it so far.

It's a big shoes to fill because of the original but it's such a norm that different country will try to adapt the story and produce into something of their own. But it doesn't bother me. However there's so much negative comments on this.

It's just so weird that Meteor Garden can have Japanese version, Korean version. Same goes for Scarlet Heart, Fated to Love you and many more.

So why not this?

I really hope people will stop comparing and give this a chance.

I'm at episode 11 now and I have a feeling that the angst will happen soon. Not sure if I am prepared for the fun to end soon.

Archived