[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me 惡魔少爺別吻我

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

I just finished the season 1, but am a bit wary to watch the season 2 with the upcoming of QL ex. Not sure if the drama still have a lot of cute and funny hmoment or become more twisted? 

You should definitely keep going!  Because the story is hardly finished at the end of Season 1, which is evidenced by the fact that the first episode of Season 2 picks up right where ep 23 of Season 1 leaves off. 

I think, as with the first season, the show does a good job of balancing cute with frustration.

Admittedly, I felt the most frustrated I've ever felt with the show this past week, but we're also heading into the final episodes this coming week so I think that's to be expected.  It's setting us up for the grand finale -- at least, that's what I'm hoping . . .

If we don't get a super happy ending, I'm gathering all my pitchforks . . . anyone want to join me in preparation?  :wink:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/1/2017 at 5:26 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I like the show whatever its perceived flaws might be. I just think that they pack too much into each episode that it loses some of its emotional quality. Take for example the hug scene from that last episode. It happened quickly and then it faded out equally quickly when really it should have been milked for whatever it was worth considering how sparingly these sorts of scenes come into play for this drama. It wasn't just a lovey-dovey scene... it was about one of those rare moments of raw honesty, deep trust, genuine care and spontaneous intimacy that brought out what was hidden in the hearts of the OTP. Fan servicing aside, it was a moment of significant character development and relationship development.

And then CC comes by, sees them together and disappears. When the camera should have lingered on his face as he resigns himself to the reality before him.

I think there was a missed opportunity there.

I'm rethinking my views on MK. I suspect that all she's trying to do is salvage the past. Most likely the happiest moments in her life. Regret is in all probability a major part of it. She doesn't want QL's pity so she doesn't want him to know about her injuries. It could be that she just wants him to love her like he used to. But of course, he's moved on and found solace in someone else. Unfortunately for her he's no longer the boy who threw himself at her feet. He's matured in that regard as well.

I imagine we're supposed to feel a little sorry for what she's been through but the truth is while we may do so with regards to her injuries, she can't undo what's been done. The moment she took herself out of the equation, QL's path changed. Maybe it would have anyway because of their age and immaturity. It's all moot.

As always, I don't disagree with you.  It's true the episodes pack in a lot and thus stuff gets lost, but at the same time, I'm hard pressed to consider that a flaw when I know if they didn't, I'd likely be complaining that they didn't show us enough.  It's like I'm like a Tiger Drama Watcher, always demanding more and the best.  :tongue:  But I definitely get where you're coming from and I thought you gave a good example of lost impact because how how they rush from scene to scene.  For me, another lost moment was when Qi Lu brought Chu Xia a clean uniform on the morning after she slept out with Chen Chuan.  I mean, here you have a guy who at the beginning of the drama: 1) would have refused to do something for anyone, or 2) if he had done something for her, would've done so because the fate of his beloved telescope was being threatened.  But now he's progressed to the point where he's not only thinking of someone else but also doing something for her.  It kind of killed me that it went acknowledged.  But, le sigh.

As for Man Kuai... I'd feel sorry for her if we didn't know she was actively plotting against Chu Xia behind her back.  Also, yes, she is trying to salvage the past, but I still stand by my earlier assessment which is that if it wasn't for her injury, she wouldn't even be here right now.  She'd still be in France studying to become a designer.  The only reason she's back now isn't really because she misses the relationship she had with Qi Lu.  Yes, that's part of it, but mostly it's because her hand is injured and now she has no future in that direction.  So she's come back to settle for the rest, so she won't feel like she's lost out on everything. 

Qi Lu deserves better than that, and frankly, she does too.

5 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Im not at the approriate age to watch this actually (aka. Old hahaha) but the main lead is too handsome to be ignored kekeke... And i like because the show because its quite lighthearted.. nowadays too many psycho style drama, so this was a fresh air for me. 

I'm not exactly a whippersnapper myself :wink: but I saw a few FMV on YT and liked the look of the leads. Before I knew it I was watching 10 episodes. I suppose I have read a few manga and seen a few adaptations of these sorts of stories in my time so it's not an entirely foreign concept for me. I never used to like shoujo manga adaptations until I caught the Nodame bug but if I find the right one, it can be a nice piece of escapism.

This show I find simultaneously fun and frustrating. Yes, the ex is kind of annoying but she's not really the biggest problem the leads are faced with. The OTP are their own worst enemies IMO.

@lynne22 As of now, there are no talks of season 3 and the 2nd season is going to get over in a week's time. So if there are any plans for another season, they would've announced it by now. So yeah, sadly, i dont think there is going to be another season. Btw i'm very glad that you are finally going to start this one. Yayyy!! I just made @stargazer187 to watch the first ep. Hehehe.  

21 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Will this trigger season 3 ? Lol..

Im not at the approriate age to watch this actually (aka. Old hahaha) but the main lead is too handsome to be ignored kekeke... And i like because the show because its quite lighthearted.. nowadays too many psycho style drama, so this was a fresh air for me. 

Will try with season 2 and hopefully can finish, i dont really like drama with a lot of misunderstanding stuff, from what i read seems season 2 have a lot of it. I wish they just show QL and CX and reduced annoying people time slot LOL.. 

As someone else has already mentioned, there has been no mention of a Season 3.  I'm pretty sure Seasons 1 and 2 were filmed together given the seamless transition between one to the other, so in order to have a Season 3, they'd have to reconvene the entire cast and crew and I don't think that's likely.  That's probably a good thing though.  If there was another Season of this drama, we'd just have to deal with more misunderstandings, and more push and pull.  Better to end on a high note by getting the leads together while the drama's still fun and before we're all banging our heads against the screen.  :wink:

As for the misunderstandings in Season 2, sure, they exist but they're well-balanced against the cute.  And I think the fact that these are short episodes also helps to make the manageable.  Imagine if we were watching hour-long episodes of the constant push and pull.  That would be truly painful. 

As for being too old . . . what's an appropriate age?  I've been watching dramas since I was a kid with my mom.  That means with each year that passes by, the leads get younger and younger.  That's just the way life happens, but that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy what we watch!   :)  I say so long as you're having fun and enjoying yourself, that's what matters.  So be guilt-free and watch Season 2!  Qi Lu and Chu Xia wait for you.  Hee hee!

10 hours ago, kokodus said:

@lynne22 As of now, there are no talks of season 3 and the 2nd season is going to get over in a week's time. So if there are any plans for another season, they would've announced it by now. So yeah, sadly, i dont think there is going to be another season. Btw i'm very glad that you are finally going to start this one. Yayyy!! I just made @stargazer187 to watch the first ep. Hehehe.  

Hahaha, good job, @kokodus.  Keep spreading the joy  :D

And speaking of final week.... it's finally here!  Tomorrow!!!  Less than 12 hours from now!!!  I can barely stand the wait.  (I already predict that it's going to be a long and painful day at work tomorrow.  Hahaha.)

I actually like the 2nd season more than the first one though Mulberry arrives only in the 2nd season. Thats saying a lot. Lol. But i think thats the point. We all know Qi Lu started having feelings for CX long before he knows it himself. He denies it for very long. When he accepts it and confesses to CX its her turn to be in denial. Thats the whole of season 1. Mulberry's return definitely did heated things up and made certain things clear. That how much ever she tries to get back with him, he is not going to come back to her. It made him to realize his love for CX more, i think. He couldnt warm up to his first love and childhood friend because all he sees now is CX. That point, atleast, is conveyed properly by the writers. And CX too, she felt jealous of Mulberry. And we all know jealousy=Love. Lol. And eventhough there are so many puppies (aka CC, HY, etc) following her around, she decides to choose the wild cat that is QL. :D

There are many things that frustrates me in this show, but the inner feelings of both are portrayed perfectly that i dont doubt them. 

@themarchioness Hehe. I mean we shouldnt be the only ones going through all these frustating yet sweet moments by ourselves. I'm not that selfish. :D

And its TODAY for me, this time i think i will watch the eps before you, as i'm totally refreshing that site every 5 mins so that i can watch it as soon as they upload it. Yep i'm that desperate.

I agree, @kokodus!  I too have found Season 2 to be more interesting from a narrative standpoint. 

(And hey, I tried and did my part a few days ago in trying to get her to watch as well!  Did you get her to actually watch the first episode or only promise to?)

But my friend, don't waste your time reloading!  Just check back in 8 hours from now.  Tecent Video is very on the dot with their uploads (8 pm Beijing time -- so work out the time difference from that to your time zone).  The only thing though is we need the VIP episodes and their availability will depend on people ripping/uploading them.  Might have to wait a little bit longer for that....

@themarchionessOhh 8 hours??? Thats too long. Lol. Ok well by tonight we will get the new eps right? I cant wait until tomorrow. Sigh. 

And i meant 'we'. WE are not that selfish.LOL. The things we have been doing to hook everyone to watch it... lolol. And she actually did watch upto 3 eps. She said she will watch it over the weekened and i totally talked her into watching it yesterday itself. I'm awesome, right?? Hehehe. Although i dont think the one that got me into watching this caught up with all the eps. Sighh -_-

Yep @stargazer187 You are on the right thread. Lol. You should catch up with all the eps soon so that you can spam this thread while we are still here. LOLOL. 

Btw i dont think you know about oppa's injury and that he's back home now. I dunno how i feel about this. Whatever.-_-

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That was such a satisfying ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, apart from that last minute noble idiocy, all the frustrations from last week's episodes went completely out the window.  It was great!  (Even if it did feel a little weird, at first.  I mean, Episode 20 was so much cotton candy compared to all the other episodes we'd watched up until that point that for a moment there, I actually wondered if people had uploaded the episodes out of order!  :tongue:

In any event, happy ending and I'm thrilled.  I like how they pulled off the ending and I'm so jazzed and riding the high still that I'm off to go recap Episode 20 now, because I loved it that much.  Hopefully I can finish it in the next few hours before I go to bed.  :wink:

(The only thing I didn't like was MK . . . I mean yay, everything resolved well there, but boo . . . I feel like that made her less of an interesting character.  I kind of liked her as a baddie and this 180 degree turn around after she'd been conspiring this entire time feels unnatural.  I know she was never wholly evil, but she wasn't an angel either.  She did bad things and now she'll never be held accountable for those things.  Worse, it's like they want us to like her now.  I don't know.  That part feels weird.  But I'm not going to quibble over it because the most important party, the drama got right: CX and QL forever! :D )

While I was pleased with the hug at the end, I thought the resolution was rushed. And that noble idiocy... what the heck! Cramming all that stuff at the end... ugh... typical, just typical. Playing the push-pull right to the ridiculous bitter end. 

I wasn't quite as satisfied as you @themarchioness but I'm glad CX and QL were a thing at the end. I liked that it ended at their wall but it all happened so quickly I couldn't really savour the moment.

Yeah, I thought that MK's turn around wasn't very well-handled. But that's the problem with this show as a whole trying to juggle too many balls. It's inevitable they'd drop a few. And what about the other bad girl? She sort of just disappeared off the radar.

The kidnapping thing was very unnecessary. True, it's not the first time people are kidnapped in this show but it was pure gimmickry. I'd rather CX won without all the makjang and then went off to France with QL's blessing. I wouldn't have minded a well-placed time skip even. I did have serious issues with the director and editor's choices in the last couple of episodes.

Still I did enjoy the show especially the leads. I really like the male lead in this... his delivery (I'm assuming it's his voice) and his chemistry with the lass that played CX. Their hugs were quite lovely. 

Hot off the press!  :tongue:

Master Devil, Season 2

Episode 20 Recap

Spoiler

Chen Chuan is at the karaoke bar trying to sing out his feelings and keeping him company is Xiao Nan, who’s sitting behind him with her fingers plugged in her ears as she tries to survive his horrible singing.  When she can take it no more any longer, she grabs her things with one hand and yanks the microphone away from him with her other, putting it down on the table.  Then she grabs his wrist and tells him, “Come with me.”  When he stays rooted in his spot, she just tugs on him harder and says, “Ai-ya, let’s go!”

As they approach the entrance to an arcade gallery, Chen Chuan tells her, “I was singing just fine, why’d you bring me here?”  She answers that when other people sing, they want money, but when he sings, he wants your life!  Then she tells him that if he wants to vent his emotions, this place is most suitable for that.  But in flashbacks, we see that Chen Chuan is reminded of how he first met Chu Xia at this arcade gallery.  He starts to leave, but Xiao Nan holds him back and tells him, “From wherever you fall, that’s the place you have to pick yourself up from.  Jiang Chen Chuan, you can do it!”  Chen Chuan gives up and asks her what she wants to play. 

Xiao Nan leads Chen Chuan to the basketball hoop game.  He asks her if this isn’t too easy and tells her to find him something more challenging.  She boasts that actually this sort of game is also easy for a person like her who’s the Dugu Qiubai* of the arcade gallery, but that she chose it specifically for him.  Then she takes off her schoolbag and says she’ll teach him how it’s played.  Except when she hurls the first ball, it bounces back from the backboard and hits her on the head.  Chen Chuan’s as shocked by it as her as he asks her if she’s okay.  She shrugs it off and says she’s okay, and that her hand just slipped, and takes another time.  Except the next one also goes flying.  Chen Chuan tells her that she should let him do it, but she shoves him of and says there’s no need because she’s going to do it.  She then starts throwing the balls rather angrily, which has Chen Chuan looking around to see if anyone’s watching them.  Chen Chuan then says, “Dugu Qiubai*, stop harming yourself.  Play something else.”  Xiao Nan stubbornly refuses and says she just doesn’t believe that she can’t manage throw in one ball.  That’s when Chen Chuan points that originally she brought him there to keep him company, so why is she now taking her anger out on the ball?  Xiao Nan tells him she hates that ball.  Chen Chuan asks her if she hates the ball, and when she says yes, he picks one up and tosses it through the hoop like it was the easiest task on earth.  He asks her if that helped to abate her anger, and she says yes, so he tosses another one in and asks again if her anger is receding.  She again says yes, but this time with a smile, and the next thing Chen Chuan knows, he’s having fun playing games with Xiao Nan keeping him company and sometimes playing along with him. 

[*Dugu Qiubai: In calling herself the Dugu Qiubai of the arcade gallery, Xiao Nan was basically calling herself an expert in the arcade games.]

It’s night time now and Chen Chuan and Xiao Nan are walking home while eating ice cream cones.  Xiao Nan tells him that she never imagined he’d be that good at playing drums.  Chen Chuan asks her if she’s joking and says that it’s only singing that he’s bad at, but drumming on the other hand, he’s been studying it for several years while hiding that fact from his father.  Xiao Nan asks him why he has to learn how to play drums on the sly and Chen Chuan explains that his dad wants him to focus on studying business in order to take over the family business, so ever since he was little, he wouldn’t let him do anything else that wasn’t related to the studying of business.  Xiao Nan feels bad for him and Chen Chuan tells her that actually, he’s always had this one dream and that is once he retires, he plans on joining a band.  He said that for most people, when they get old, they go into a nursing home.  But when he gets old, he’s going to go to a nursing home to hold a concert.  Xiao Nan laughs and points out that when he’s old, he won’t be able to hold the instruments.  Then she tells him that he should join a band now, and that she supports him.  Chen Chuan can only smile and laugh at her comment, as she wraps one arm around his shoulders and tells him they should keep walking.

Back at the Han household, Chu Xia arrives home to a darkened house.  She calls out to Qi Lu, asking him if he’s home yet, but there’s no answer. 

Suddenly, someone starts singing the happy birthday song.  She turns around and sees it’s Qi Lu approaching her from behind with a candle lit cake.  When he finishes the song, he says, “Chu Xia.  Happy birthday.”  She doesn’t say anything, so he tells her they should go over there and with one hand, leads her to the couch.  After they sit down, he tells her to make a wish.  She closes her eyes and hold her hands up as if in prayer, and next to her, Qi Lu does the same.  She then announces that she’s finished and is going to turn on the lights, but Qi Lu holds her back, telling her to wait.  He hands her this little toy that’s lit up from within and says it’s her present.  Chu Xia says it’s really cute and asks if it’s a reading lamp, but Qi Lu tells her that it’s a wishing lamp.  “A wishing lamp?”  Qi Lu says, “That’s right.  With it, from now on, you won’t have to wait for a birthday each year just to blow out candles and make a birthday wish then.”  Chu Xia thanks him for the sentiment but points out that she can’t possibly have that many wishes that she’d have to make one every day.  But Qi Lu disagrees and says that she does.  “For example, you can wish to be able see me every day.” 

“Huh?”

“That’s right.  And, furthermore, your wish would even come true every day.  How nice is that?”

Chu Xia laughs, and so Qi Lu says fine, they can talk about something more serious then.  That’s when he reminds her that tomorrow is an important day for her competition and tells her that he hopes everything goes well with it.  After Chu Xia makes a sond of agreement, Qi Lu adds, “Chu Xia, in the future, no matter whether I can see you every day or not, I hope that whenever I do see you, you’ll be happy, cheerful, and without any worries.  Just like you were the first time I met you.”  Chu Xia is obviously touched by her words as she smiles and makes another sound of agreement.  That’s when Qi Lu leans in for a kiss and then . . .

The lights turn on.  His mother, father, and Butler Han have returned home.  Yuan Yuan Jie asks why the lights aren’t turned on.  Chu Xia says, “Yuan Yuan Jie,” and Qi Lu just asks rather angrily, “How come you didn’t say anything if you were going to come home?!”  His father takes a boxed cake from Butler Han and says, “Yuan Yuan Jie knew it was Chu Xia’s birthday today so she made me get discharged early so we could give you a surprise.”  Yuan Yuan Jie then takes the boxed case from him as she walks over to Chu Xia and asks if she was surprised.  Qi Lu is hilariously still sitting on the couch face palming over his parents’ interruption.  As his mother sets the cake they bought on the coffee table she comments with surprise to see another cake there and asks who bought it.  Qi Lu says, “What do you mean bought?  I made it myself.”  His mother says, “No wonder it looks ugly,” while his father comments with surprise that his son knows how to make cakes now. 

Chu Xia thanks Yuan Yuan Jie, Liu Ge, and Butler Han for remembering her birthday.  And in the corner, we see Butler Han pulling the cake Qi Lu made towards himself.  Yuan Yuan Jie tells her there’s no need to be so polite when they’re all one family.  Liu Ge tells her that Yuan Yuan Jie not only knew that today was her birthday, but she also knew that tomorrow was an important day in her competition.  Then he hands her a red envelope.  Chu Xia at first refuses it saying that he needn’t be so polite, but Liu Ge tells her that he was too rushed and didn’t have time to get her anything so she should accept the money.  It’s only when he tells her though that it represents a token of her mother’s regard that Chu Xia accepts the gift.  [Side note: I love how unthrilled Qi Lu looks throughout this exchange.  He so does not like having been thwarted, lol!] 

Over on the other side of the room, Butler Han is eating Qi Lu’s cake and comments that it tastes horrible.  Everyone just looks over as Qi Lu says between clenched teeth, “Lao Han!”  That’s when Yuan Yuan Jie suggests that everyone eat the cake she bought and sends Butler Han off to bring drinks, snacks, and whatever else he can think of.  As his mother takes the cake she brought out of its box and Liu Ge comments that it looks nice, Qi Lu who’s been rubbing his hands impatiently this entire time mutters, “Actually, mine’s pretty good looking too.”  His mother doesn’t even hear him though as Butler Han returns with a tray of drinks and she announces that they’re going to throw an at-home party now.  Then she tells them that she forgot to tell them but Liu Ge answered a phone call earlier and whatever was going on with the business was successful, that means their company has gotten past its difficult period.  Qi Lu reacts with surprise and excitement as he asks, “Really?!”  His father tells him, “That’s right.  Qi Lu, you’re free now!”  As the family celebrates, Chu Xia sits in the middle and stares straight ahead.  [Methinks someone had a little bit of something to do with this business stuff.]  And then Butler Han hands her a drink and she rejoins the party with a smile on her face.

Elsewhere in the city, Xin Wei is in bed when she makes a phone call.  She asks the other person if they’re clear on what they have to do.  She smiles after hearing whatever is the other person had to say in response and says, “Okay, I’ve got it,” before hanging up the phone and looking entirely too satisfied with herself.  Then she says to no one, “Xiang Man Kuai, I finally know why you came back.”  There’s a knock on her door at that moment; it’s her father.  He observes that she hasn’t gone to sleep yet and tells her that he wants to have a talk with her.  Xin Wei tells him though that they don’t have anything to talk about.  Her father tells her that he understands how she feels, but he wants her to understand that the outcome of the competition isn’t what’s important.  What’s more important is that she’s still his good daughter.  Xin Wei cuts him off at that point, telling him that she wants to go to sleep, and so he has no choice but to retreat.

It’s a new day at school and the contestants are on the stage as the host welcomes everyone back to the competition.  The host then welcomes Man Kuai on stage to explain the details for the next round of the competition.  In short, the contestants are being whisked off to individual workspaces where for three days, they’ll be cut off from the world and each other with no phone, computer, or anything, to work on their contest designs.  In the audience, Jiang Yuan Yuan is sitting in between Qi Lu and Han Yu and looks alarmed.  Man Kuai then gives a speech of encouragement to the contestants.

As Man Kuai’s about to leave the stage, Xin Wei tells her to wait a minute as she’d like to ask her a question.  She then asks Man Kuai how it is, as a design genius, she hasn’t produced any new designs for over half a year now.  She asks whether Man Kuai’s been depleted of her talents or whether there’s some other reason.  She then asks Man Kuai to please answer her question.  Chu Xia interrupts to tell Xin Wei to not go overboard, but Xin Wei asks if she’s being overboard.  She says she’s just asking from the perspective of a new designer to her senior.  Man Kuai answers that as a designer, coming up with a design was never something that one could do in just one step.  She then says that in the half year that she hasn’t come up with any new designs, she feels apologetic towards the people who’ve been watching her, but she’ll continue to adjust her skills to use her strengths again.  Everyone in the audience claps at her response and Xin Wei moves to leave the stage, but Chu Xia interrupts her and asks if she knows something.  Xin Wei asks, “Me know something?”  Chu Xia tells her to stop pretending like she’s clueless, and Xin Wei tells her, “An Chu Xia, remember this.  With me around, you and your dead mother better not thinking about taking even a half step into the Jiang family.  I will hatefully and ruthlessly step on you.”  Then she shoves past her to walk on.

Chu Xia leaves the auditorium with Qi Lu and his mother.  He tells her to be happier while his mother can hardly believe that the contestants are being whisked away to their secluded locations without any advance warning.  She pouts that she wasn’t given the opportunity to prepare anything for Chu Xia, but then tells Chu Xia that she believes in her and knows she’ll win.  At that, Qi Lu sighs and says, “Isn’t it just a competition?  Why are you treating it like a life or death matter?”  Chu Xia and his mother just give him that look as his mother berates him for ruining the mood.  Chu Xia tells Yuan Yuan Jie not to worry because she’ll give it her every effort. 

In front of the school, Ma Teacher is standing next to a van and tells Chu Xia that it’s time and she needs to hurry up as he’s about to leave to take the contestants to their secluded place.  That’s when You Tian Teacher arrives and asks if they’ve seen Xin Wei as she’s only one left.  Ma Teacher tells him to hurry up and call her and You Tian Teacher answers that he has, but nobody’s answering.  Ma Teacher tells him to try Wan Zi since the two of them are always together.  As You Tian Teacher steps to the side to do that, Ma Teacher yells at Chu Xia again to hurry up.  She tells him she’s coming and then turns back to Yuan Yuan Jie to say good-bye.  She then starts to walk off, but Qi Lu calls her back.  He then grabs her for a tight hug before pulling back and saying, “Good-luck in the competition, don’t be nervous.”  Then he tells her to go on and sends her off. 

Elsewhere on campus, Wan Zi is on the phone asking if they’ve found Xin Wei or not.  She hangs up and keeps looking for Xin Wei herself.  That’s when she sees Xin Wei in the distance with a guy.  She’s surprised to see her there and quickly hides herself so that she won’t be seen and so that she can listen in on the conversation. 

Xin Wei asks the other person if he’s clear on what he needs to do.  When the other person doesn’t answer, she says, “I asked you a question.”  The other person who we can now see is masked tells her not to use that tone of voice with him.  [Even though the other guy is wearing a mask, I think we can all guess who this person is.  And it’s great to see what Xin Wei is so unlikable that she can’t get along with any of the people she partners with to pull off her evil stunts.  *rolls eyes*]

Qi Lu joins Han Yu on their favorite rooftop.  Qi Lu asks how come he didn’t go to help support Chu Xia, and Han Yu answers that he was giving Qi Lu an opportunity to perform.  Qi Lu tells him, “Save it,” while Han Yu laughs and adds in a more serious tone, “I just thought that at this moment, what Chu Xia needed was to be calm and have an opportunity to think about what this completion meant to her and what she wanted.” 

Qi Lu tells him that he feels like ever since Han Yu returned home, he’s changed a little.  Han Yu asks, “Is that right?  In what way?”  Qi Lu says it’s not easy to describe, but he just feels like Han Yu’s become a little bit more forceful and it makes him seem more attractive.  Han Yu laughs at that and says, “Let me be clear, I’m not interested in men.”  Qi Lu then says, “When did you become like Jiang Chen Chuan?  Narcissistic and arrogant?”  Han Yu repeats Chen Chuan’s name at the mention of him, and says, “Who would have ever thought he and Chu Xia would be paternal cousins?”  Qi Lu agrees and comments with sympathy that learning this news probably had a huge effect on him. 

We return to Xin Wei and the masked man.  She’s reminding him that they’re now joined together in this plan and that he needs to remember, their unified target is Chu Xia.  The masked man basically agrees and tells her that he gets it so he’s not going to let Chu Xia off the hook either.  Xin Wei then says, “Which is why tomorrow, we can’t let Xiang Man Kuai show up for the competition.”  The masked man says he gets it, and then the camera pulls back and we see that Wan Zi has heard everything.

1 hour ago, themarchioness said:

Hot off the press!  :tongue:

Master Devil, Season 2

Episode 20 Recap

Reveal hidden contents

Chen Chuan is at the karaoke bar trying to sing out his feelings and keeping him company is Xiao Nan, who’s sitting behind him with her fingers plugged in her ears as she tries to survive his horrible singing.  When she can take it no more any longer, she grabs her things with one hand and yanks the microphone away from him with her other, putting it down on the table.  Then she grabs his wrist and tells him, “Come with me.”  When he stays rooted in his spot, she just tugs on him harder and says, “Ai-ya, let’s go!”

As they approach the entrance to an arcade gallery, Chen Chuan tells her, “I was singing just fine, why’d you bring me here?”  She answers that when other people sing, they want money, but when he sings, he wants your life!  Then she tells him that if he wants to vent his emotions, this place is most suitable for that.  But in flashbacks, we see that Chen Chuan is reminded of how he first met Chu Xia at this arcade gallery.  He starts to leave, but Xiao Nan holds him back and tells him, “From wherever you fall, that’s the place you have to pick yourself up from.  Jiang Chen Chuan, you can do it!”  Chen Chuan gives up and asks her what she wants to play. 

Xiao Nan leads Chen Chuan to the basketball hoop game.  He asks her if this isn’t too easy and tells her to find him something more challenging.  She boasts that actually this sort of game is also easy for a person like her who’s the Dugu Qiubai* of the arcade gallery, but that she chose it specifically for him.  Then she takes off her schoolbag and says she’ll teach him how it’s played.  Except when she hurls the first ball, it bounces back from the backboard and hits her on the head.  Chen Chuan’s as shocked by it as her as he asks her if she’s okay.  She shrugs it off and says she’s okay, and that her hand just slipped, and takes another time.  Except the next one also goes flying.  Chen Chuan tells her that she should let him do it, but she shoves him of and says there’s no need because she’s going to do it.  She then starts throwing the balls rather angrily, which has Chen Chuan looking around to see if anyone’s watching them.  Chen Chuan then says, “Dugu Qiubai*, stop harming yourself.  Play something else.”  Xiao Nan stubbornly refuses and says she just doesn’t believe that she can’t manage throw in one ball.  That’s when Chen Chuan points that originally she brought him there to keep him company, so why is she now taking her anger out on the ball?  Xiao Nan tells him she hates that ball.  Chen Chuan asks her if she hates the ball, and when she says yes, he picks one up and tosses it through the hoop like it was the easiest task on earth.  He asks her if that helped to abate her anger, and she says yes, so he tosses another one in and asks again if her anger is receding.  She again says yes, but this time with a smile, and the next thing Chen Chuan knows, he’s having fun playing games with Xiao Nan keeping him company and sometimes playing along with him. 

[*Dugu Qiubai: In calling herself the Dugu Qiubai of the arcade gallery, Xiao Nan was basically calling herself an expert in the arcade games.]

It’s night time now and Chen Chuan and Xiao Nan are walking home while eating ice cream cones.  Xiao Nan tells him that she never imagined he’d be that good at playing drums.  Chen Chuan asks her if she’s joking and says that it’s only singing that he’s bad at, but drumming on the other hand, he’s been studying it for several years while hiding that fact from his father.  Xiao Nan asks him why he has to learn how to play drums on the sly and Chen Chuan explains that his dad wants him to focus on studying business in order to take over the family business, so ever since he was little, he wouldn’t let him do anything else that wasn’t related to the studying of business.  Xiao Nan feels bad for him and Chen Chuan tells her that actually, he’s always had this one dream and that is once he retires, he plans on joining a band.  He said that for most people, when they get old, they go into a nursing home.  But when he gets old, he’s going to go to a nursing home to hold a concert.  Xiao Nan laughs and points out that when he’s old, he won’t be able to hold the instruments.  Then she tells him that he should join a band now, and that she supports him.  Chen Chuan can only smile and laugh at her comment, as she wraps one arm around his shoulders and tells him they should keep walking.

Back at the Han household, Chu Xia arrives home to a darkened house.  She calls out to Qi Lu, asking him if he’s home yet, but there’s no answer. 

Suddenly, someone starts singing the happy birthday song.  She turns around and sees it’s Qi Lu approaching her from behind with a candle lit cake.  When he finishes the song, he says, “Chu Xia.  Happy birthday.”  She doesn’t say anything, so he tells her they should go over there and with one hand, leads her to the couch.  After they sit down, he tells her to make a wish.  She closes her eyes and hold her hands up as if in prayer, and next to her, Qi Lu does the same.  She then announces that she’s finished and is going to turn on the lights, but Qi Lu holds her back, telling her to wait.  He hands her this little toy that’s lit up from within and says it’s her present.  Chu Xia says it’s really cute and asks if it’s a reading lamp, but Qi Lu tells her that it’s a wishing lamp.  “A wishing lamp?”  Qi Lu says, “That’s right.  With it, from now on, you won’t have to wait for a birthday each year just to blow out candles and make a birthday wish then.”  Chu Xia thanks him for the sentiment but points out that she can’t possibly have that many wishes that she’d have to make one every day.  But Qi Lu disagrees and says that she does.  “For example, you can wish to be able see me every day.” 

“Huh?”

“That’s right.  And, furthermore, your wish would even come true every day.  How nice is that?”

Chu Xia laughs, and so Qi Lu says fine, they can talk about something more serious then.  That’s when he reminds her that tomorrow is an important day for her competition and tells her that he hopes everything goes well with it.  After Chu Xia makes a sond of agreement, Qi Lu adds, “Chu Xia, in the future, no matter whether I can see you every day or not, I hope that whenever I do see you, you’ll be happy, cheerful, and without any worries.  Just like you were the first time I met you.”  Chu Xia is obviously touched by her words as she smiles and makes another sound of agreement.  That’s when Qi Lu leans in for a kiss and then . . .

The lights turn on.  His mother, father, and Butler Han have returned home.  Yuan Yuan Jie asks why the lights aren’t turned on.  Chu Xia says, “Yuan Yuan Jie,” and Qi Lu just asks rather angrily, “How come you didn’t say anything if you were going to come home?!”  His father takes a boxed cake from Butler Han and says, “Yuan Yuan Jie knew it was Chu Xia’s birthday today so she made me get discharged early so we could give you a surprise.”  Yuan Yuan Jie then takes the boxed case from him as she walks over to Chu Xia and asks if she was surprised.  Qi Lu is hilariously still sitting on the couch face palming over his parents’ interruption.  As his mother sets the cake they bought on the coffee table she comments with surprise to see another cake there and asks who bought it.  Qi Lu says, “What do you mean bought?  I made it myself.”  His mother says, “No wonder it looks ugly,” while his father comments with surprise that his son knows how to make cakes now. 

Chu Xia thanks Yuan Yuan Jie, Liu Ge, and Butler Han for remembering her birthday.  And in the corner, we see Butler Han pulling the cake Qi Lu made towards himself.  Yuan Yuan Jie tells her there’s no need to be so polite when they’re all one family.  Liu Ge tells her that Yuan Yuan Jie not only knew that today was her birthday, but she also knew that tomorrow was an important day in her competition.  Then he hands her a red envelope.  Chu Xia at first refuses it saying that he needn’t be so polite, but Liu Ge tells her that he was too rushed and didn’t have time to get her anything so she should accept the money.  It’s only when he tells her though that it represents a token of her mother’s regard that Chu Xia accepts the gift.  [Side note: I love how unthrilled Qi Lu looks throughout this exchange.  He so does not like having been thwarted, lol!] 

Over on the other side of the room, Butler Han is eating Qi Lu’s cake and comments that it tastes horrible.  Everyone just looks over as Qi Lu says between clenched teeth, “Lao Han!”  That’s when Yuan Yuan Jie suggests that everyone eat the cake she bought and sends Butler Han off to bring drinks, snacks, and whatever else he can think of.  As his mother takes the cake she brought out of its box and Liu Ge comments that it looks nice, Qi Lu who’s been rubbing his hands impatiently this entire time mutters, “Actually, mine’s pretty good looking too.”  His mother doesn’t even hear him though as Butler Han returns with a tray of drinks and she announces that they’re going to throw an at-home party now.  Then she tells them that she forgot to tell them but Liu Ge answered a phone call earlier and whatever was going on with the business was successful, that means their company has gotten past its difficult period.  Qi Lu reacts with surprise and excitement as he asks, “Really?!”  His father tells him, “That’s right.  Qi Lu, you’re free now!”  As the family celebrates, Chu Xia sits in the middle and stares straight ahead.  [Methinks someone had a little bit of something to do with this business stuff.]  And then Butler Han hands her a drink and she rejoins the party with a smile on her face.

Elsewhere in the city, Xin Wei is in bed when she makes a phone call.  She asks the other person if they’re clear on what they have to do.  She smiles after hearing whatever is the other person had to say in response and says, “Okay, I’ve got it,” before hanging up the phone and looking entirely too satisfied with herself.  Then she says to no one, “Xiang Man Kuai, I finally know why you came back.”  There’s a knock on her door at that moment; it’s her father.  He observes that she hasn’t gone to sleep yet and tells her that he wants to have a talk with her.  Xin Wei tells him though that they don’t have anything to talk about.  Her father tells her that he understands how she feels, but he wants her to understand that the outcome of the competition isn’t what’s important.  What’s more important is that she’s still his good daughter.  Xin Wei cuts him off at that point, telling him that she wants to go to sleep, and so he has no choice but to retreat.

It’s a new day at school and the contestants are on the stage as the host welcomes everyone back to the competition.  The host then welcomes Man Kuai on stage to explain the details for the next round of the competition.  In short, the contestants are being whisked off to individual workspaces where for three days, they’ll be cut off from the world and each other with no phone, computer, or anything, to work on their contest designs.  In the audience, Jiang Yuan Yuan is sitting in between Qi Lu and Han Yu and looks alarmed.  Man Kuai then gives a speech of encouragement to the contestants.

As Man Kuai’s about to leave the stage, Xin Wei tells her to wait a minute as she’d like to ask her a question.  She then asks Man Kuai how it is, as a design genius, she hasn’t produced any new designs for over half a year now.  She asks whether Man Kuai’s been depleted of her talents or whether there’s some other reason.  She then asks Man Kuai to please answer her question.  Chu Xia interrupts to tell Xin Wei to not go overboard, but Xin Wei asks if she’s being overboard.  She says she’s just asking from the perspective of a new designer to her senior.  Man Kuai answers that as a designer, coming up with a design was never something that one could do in just one step.  She then says that in the half year that she hasn’t come up with any new designs, she feels apologetic towards the people who’ve been watching her, but she’ll continue to adjust her skills to use her strengths again.  Everyone in the audience claps at her response and Xin Wei moves to leave the stage, but Chu Xia interrupts her and asks if she knows something.  Xin Wei asks, “Me know something?”  Chu Xia tells her to stop pretending like she’s clueless, and Xin Wei tells her, “An Chu Xia, remember this.  With me around, you and your dead mother better not thinking about taking even a half step into the Jiang family.  I will hatefully and ruthlessly step on you.”  Then she shoves past her to walk on.

Chu Xia leaves the auditorium with Qi Lu and his mother.  He tells her to be happier while his mother can hardly believe that the contestants are being whisked away to their secluded locations without any advance warning.  She pouts that she wasn’t given the opportunity to prepare anything for Chu Xia, but then tells Chu Xia that she believes in her and knows she’ll win.  At that, Qi Lu sighs and says, “Isn’t it just a competition?  Why are you treating it like a life or death matter?”  Chu Xia and his mother just give him that look as his mother berates him for ruining the mood.  Chu Xia tells Yuan Yuan Jie not to worry because she’ll give it her every effort. 

In front of the school, Ma Teacher is standing next to a van and tells Chu Xia that it’s time and she needs to hurry up as he’s about to leave to take the contestants to their secluded place.  That’s when You Tian Teacher arrives and asks if they’ve seen Xin Wei as she’s only one left.  Ma Teacher tells him to hurry up and call her and You Tian Teacher answers that he has, but nobody’s answering.  Ma Teacher tells him to try Wan Zi since the two of them are always together.  As You Tian Teacher steps to the side to do that, Ma Teacher yells at Chu Xia again to hurry up.  She tells him she’s coming and then turns back to Yuan Yuan Jie to say good-bye.  She then starts to walk off, but Qi Lu calls her back.  He then grabs her for a tight hug before pulling back and saying, “Good-luck in the competition, don’t be nervous.”  Then he tells her to go on and sends her off. 

Elsewhere on campus, Wan Zi is on the phone asking if they’ve found Xin Wei or not.  She hangs up and keeps looking for Xin Wei herself.  That’s when she sees Xin Wei in the distance with a guy.  She’s surprised to see her there and quickly hides herself so that she won’t be seen and so that she can listen in on the conversation. 

Xin Wei asks the other person if he’s clear on what he needs to do.  When the other person doesn’t answer, she says, “I asked you a question.”  The other person who we can now see is masked tells her not to use that tone of voice with him.  [Even though the other guy is wearing a mask, I think we can all guess who this person is.  And it’s great to see what Xin Wei is so unlikable that she can’t get along with any of the people she partners with to pull off her evil stunts.  *rolls eyes*]

Qi Lu joins Han Yu on their favorite rooftop.  Qi Lu asks how come he didn’t go to help support Chu Xia, and Han Yu answers that he was giving Qi Lu an opportunity to perform.  Qi Lu tells him, “Save it,” while Han Yu laughs and adds in a more serious tone, “I just thought that at this moment, what Chu Xia needed was to be calm and have an opportunity to think about what this completion meant to her and what she wanted.” 

Qi Lu tells him that he feels like ever since Han Yu returned home, he’s changed a little.  Han Yu asks, “Is that right?  In what way?”  Qi Lu says it’s not easy to describe, but he just feels like Han Yu’s become a little bit more forceful and it makes him seem more attractive.  Han Yu laughs at that and says, “Let me be clear, I’m not interested in men.”  Qi Lu then says, “When did you become like Jiang Chen Chuan?  Narcissistic and arrogant?”  Han Yu repeats Chen Chuan’s name at the mention of him, and says, “Who would have ever thought he and Chu Xia would be paternal cousins?”  Qi Lu agrees and comments with sympathy that learning this news probably had a huge effect on him. 

We return to Xin Wei and the masked man.  She’s reminding him that they’re now joined together in this plan and that he needs to remember, their unified target is Chu Xia.  The masked man basically agrees and tells her that he gets it so he’s not going to let Chu Xia off the hook either.  Xin Wei then says, “Which is why tomorrow, we can’t let Xiang Man Kuai show up for the competition.”  The masked man says he gets it, and then the camera pulls back and we see that Wan Zi has heard everything.

is there a season 3? w/c will evolved in their university life.I need more interaction between Chucia and Qilu specially right now they are couple already.. too addciting..hehehhehehheh

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RECAP

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

While I was pleased with the hug at the end, I thought the resolution was rushed. And that noble idiocy... what the heck! Cramming all that stuff at the end... ugh... typical, just typical. Playing the push-pull right to the ridiculous bitter end. 

I wasn't quite as satisfied as you @themarchioness but I'm glad CX and QL were a thing at the end. I liked that it ended at their wall but it all happened so quickly I couldn't really savour the moment.

Still I did enjoy the show especially the leads. I really like the male lead in this... his delivery (I'm assuming it's his voice) and his chemistry with the lass that played CX. Their hugs were quite lovely. 

(Sorry to cut your post, but I wanted to get at the main bits.)

Haha.  I can be a pretty easy-to-satisfy drama watcher in that regard.  Just give me a happy ending and that's what I mostly care about. 

I think the other thing is I was just relieved that we got a happy ending, and that relief added to my earlier euphoria.  I admit to starting to feel a little nervous towards the end of Episode 23 that we might not reach a resolution when, unlike last season, there was no Season 3 in sight.  First, there was the noble idiocy.  (I believe my exact words to @kokodus were, "Noble idiocy has no place when there's less than 20 minutes to go!" :crazy: )  And then, in those last remaining few minutes, I was totally hoping we'd get a time jump because I figured that would solve everything if they didn't hurry up and solve it now, LOL!  (One of those rare times when I'd actually be okay with a time jump, but it's all because I was desperate to see them end happily ever after!)  But, fortunately, right after I wished for it, the show managed to give us a happy ending without the time jump.  Talk about, phew!

The ending was definitely rushed but it's really no different from how every episode has been.  I've been sharing my recaps with a friend who's not watching the show and only reading my recaps, and after almost every single one, she asks, "All that happens in 17 minutes?!"  (It's like she doesn't believe me.)  I think the ending felt particularly rushed when compared to other episodes because with the others, we know there will be another episode that follows to maybe fill some in some of the gaps left behind.  But now, there are no more episodes and so we are left with what we got.  Which, in the end, is quite a number of open-ended storylines.  In addition to the two you mentioned, we never really know what happens with Chu Xia and her father.  We can guess that the teacher and the nurse get together.  And hopefully Xiao Nan and Chen Chuan do too? 

In the end, I think this drama was both blessed and cursed by its web drama format.  On the one hand, I really liked the short episodes -- it kept things fresh, breezy, and moving along, and made for an easy watch.  On the other hand, there was a lot of story to tell here and in that regard, it was constrained by its short format.  Honestly, this is one where it could have been a full-blown drama.  According to my friend who read the google translations of the original web novel, there is a lot more material in the novel.  While we can be glad that some of that stuff didn't make it in (*coughs*amnesia*coughs*), I think it's also clear that they were trying to pack in as much as they could despite the short episodes.

I don't know, I don't really want to pick apart the mechanics of the drama to its death.  I enjoyed it.  I have had fun with it.  And I will continue recapping the remaining three episodes (and then vow to myself never to do that again :tongue: ).  In the end, these are the things that matter to me and how I will look back on the drama and judge it.  It has been an entertaining past few weeks, and I will miss it now that it is over.

I've also discovered new actors/actresses to follow through this drama because, I agree, the leads in particular great.  I also especially liked the male lead.  He had such presence, such delivery, and the expressions sometimes . . . He could really make a scene even without saying a word; it was great.  (And yes, I think in Season 2 they were all using their own voices whereas in Season 1 they were dubbed.)

7 minutes ago, updatingsjpoll said:

is there a season 3? w/c will evolved in their university life.I need more interaction between Chucia and Qilu specially right now they are couple already.. too addciting..hehehhehehheh

Season 1 and Season 2 were filmed together, and there has been no mention of a Season 3. 

Unlike Season 1 which had an open-ended ending, Season 2's ending has a conclusion.  So... I think this is where it ends for the drama. 

5 hours ago, themarchioness said:

(Sorry to cut your post, but I wanted to get at the main bits.)

Haha.  I can be a pretty easy-to-satisfy drama watcher in that regard.  Just give me a happy ending and that's what I mostly care about. 

I think the other thing is I was just relieved that we got a happy ending, and that relief added to my earlier euphoria.  I admit to starting to feel a little nervous towards the end of Episode 23 that we might not reach a resolution when, unlike last season, there was no Season 3 in sight.  First, there was the noble idiocy.  (I believe my exact words to @kokodus were, "Noble idiocy has no place when there's less than 20 minutes to go!" :crazy: )  And then, in those last remaining few minutes, I was totally hoping we'd get a time jump because I figured that would solve everything if they didn't hurry up and solve it now, LOL!  (One of those rare times when I'd actually be okay with a time jump, but it's all because I was desperate to see them end happily ever after!)  But, fortunately, right after I wished for it, the show managed to give us a happy ending without the time jump.  Talk about, phew!

The ending was definitely rushed but it's really no different from how every episode has been.  I've been sharing my recaps with a friend who's not watching the show and only reading my recaps, and after almost every single one, she asks, "All that happens in 17 minutes?!"  (It's like she doesn't believe me.)  I think the ending felt particularly rushed when compared to other episodes because with the others, we know there will be another episode that follows to maybe fill some in some of the gaps left behind.  But now, there are no more episodes and so we are left with what we got.  Which, in the end, is quite a number of open-ended storylines.  In addition to the two you mentioned, we never really know what happens with Chu Xia and her father.  We can guess that the teacher and the nurse get together.  And hopefully Xiao Nan and Chen Chuan do too? 

In the end, I think this drama was both blessed and cursed by its web drama format.  On the one hand, I really liked the short episodes -- it kept things fresh, breezy, and moving along, and made for an easy watch.  On the other hand, there was a lot of story to tell here and in that regard, it was constrained by its short format.  Honestly, this is one where it could have been a full-blown drama.  According to my friend who read the google translations of the original web novel, there is a lot more material in the novel.  While we can be glad that some of that stuff didn't make it in (*coughs*amnesia*coughs*), I think it's also clear that they were trying to pack in as much as they could despite the short episodes.

I don't know, I don't really want to pick apart the mechanics of the drama to its death.  I enjoyed it.  I have had fun with it.  And I will continue recapping the remaining three episodes (and then vow to myself never to do that again :tongue: ).  In the end, these are the things that matter to me and how I will look back on the drama and judge it.  It has been an entertaining past few weeks, and I will miss it now that it is over.

I've also discovered new actors/actresses to follow through this drama because, I agree, the leads in particular great.  I also especially liked the male lead.  He had such presence, such delivery, and the expressions sometimes . . . He could really make a scene even without saying a word; it was great.  (And yes, I think in Season 2 they were all using their own voices whereas in Season 1 they were dubbed.)

can you share the site I could read this novel..pls.pls.pls. thank you:)

Archived