[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me 惡魔少爺別吻我

sugarplum892

Master Devil, Season 2

Episode 13 Recap

Spoiler

Chu Xia and Xiao Nan are sitting on a bench.  Chu Xia is tearing petals off a flower as she curses Qi Lu.  Xiao Nan apologizes for being the reason that she and Qi Lu had a falling out.  Chu Xia tells her though that Xiao Nan is her friend, so stepping out to speak up on her behalf was the correct thing for her to do.  Besides, Chu Xia points out, that wasn’t the only reason they had a falling out.  Xiao Nan asks her what else there was, and Chu Xia just says that she thinks it’s time for her to give him up, that Qi Lu and Man Kuai should be together, and she doesn’t want to keep getting in between them.  Xiao Nan supports this line of thinking.

Chu Xia then expresses regret over having given up the contest because of Qi Lu and says she was too stupid.  At that moment, Chen Chuan arrives and says if she knows she was wrong, then it’s not too late.  He tells her to get ready to participate in the contest and hands over her nametag/pass to enter the contest.  She asks him how he managed it and he tells her it was no big deal considering it’s being coordinated by his family’s company.  Chu Xia hugs him out of extreme gratitude, and Chen Chuan goes bonkers.  He can hardly believe that she just hugged him.  She says that’s right because she doesn’t know how to pay him back for this.  He says she doesn’t have to pay him back, she can just hug him again instead.  He then tries to reach out for her, but Chu Xia stays out of his path and then Xiao Nan gets in his way on purpose.

Man Kuai and Xin Wei meet on the school building rooftop.  Xin Wei wants to know why Man Kuai gave up the opportunity to go to Brixton.  Man Kuai tells her that there are some questions that only some people are entitled to know the answer to, and it’s too bad, but Xin Wei’s not one of those people.  Man Kuai then tells her to hurry back as it wouldn’t be good if anyone saw them together. 

After Man Kuai leaves, Xin Wei’s phone rings.  She listens and then says, “What?  You want me to be one of the judges for the competition?” 

In a flashback to half a year ago, we see Man Kuai washing dishes in the kitchen of a restaurant in France.  One of her coworkers brings her more dishes to wash but they accidentally drop, cutting Man Kuai’s hand.  Man Kuai goes to see the doctor and he tells her that there’s nothing he can do for her.  He can’t operate on it and even if she went to the best doctor in France, they’d say the same thing.  He tells her that although it looks like nothing, it’s a serious injury inside.  She has to accept the reality.  Man Kuai thinks to herself, “Qi Lu, I’ve already lost my right hand.  I can’t lose you too.”

Back in present day China, Xin Wei is having dinner with her father.  He asks her how her cousin’s been lately and she says he’s fine, spending most of his day chasing after a girl.  Her father asks if it’s some girl named Summer or something like that and she wonders how he knows.  [Chu Xia’s name includes the word for summer (Xia).]  He explains that a few days ago Chen Chuan came to him and asked him to help the girl he likes get into the contest.  Her dad laughs that he’s just like his father. 

Qi Lu points at a picture of Chu Xia taped on his mirror and starts scolding her.  “An Chu Xia, don’t you know you’re supposed to give me some face?  Saying that we’re going to part ways and then just part ways.  And to do it so publicly.  Don’t you know I’m a big man on campus?  You didn’t even give me an opportunity.”  He then walks into the living room where Chu Xia is watching and laughing over a television program with his mother, and grabs her by wrist.  She asks him what he’s doing when he starts to drag her away with him and even his mom asks what he’s up to, but he just tells her that he needs to borrow her little Chu Xia for a bit. 

Alone together, she tells him to let go.  He manages to shove off his arm and starts to walk away but he just follows her and drags her back by the collar of her dress.  She asks him again what he wants with her and he asks her, “Don’t you think feel like there’s something you need to say to me?”  She asks him, like what, and he suggests very quietly, “Like an apology, or something.”  Chu Xia can hardly believe him and asks, “Me?  Apologize to you?”  She says he must be so sick he’s not clear in the head.  Qi Lu tells her that’s fine.  Then he tells her to take a seat so he can talk to her.  Once she sits down next to him on the bed, he tells her that he knows she’s a loyal person and that it was because she wanted to protect her friend that she said all that she did without thinking, but she didn’t have to say she wanted to part ways with him in such a public manner.  He points out it made it impossible for him to get out of an embarrassing situation.  Qi Lu continues talking, but it all sounds like gibberish to her.  [Literally.  They just showed a bunch of words flowing out of his mouth in fast forward motion.]  He finishes his one-sided monologue and asks, “What do you mean?”  Chu Xia explains that Chen Chuan used his connections to Jiang Shi Ji Tuan to help her sign up for the contest, so this time, she will participate in the contest.  Qi Lu doesn’t look very happy as Chu Xia walks off.

Xin Wei and Man Kuai meet up at school the next day.  Xin Wei tells Man Kuai that she’s pissed because in the end, Chu Xia was able to gain entrance into the competition.  Man Kuai tells her this isn’t anything to get upset about because she’d anticipated this would happen.  She also tells her to not worry because she still has her father.  Xin Wei doesn’t understand what her father has to do with anything or how he’ll be of any use as, this time, all the judges were sent over from Brixton directly.  It has nothing to do with her family’s company.  Man Kuai tells her it’s no big deal because she has a way.  Xin Wei asks her if she knows anyone, and that’s when Man Kuai reveals that she’s been asked to be a judge.  Xin Wei can hardly believe it, but she’s relieved.

The gossips start up again, this time to announce that Man Kuai will be one of the judges for this year’s competition.  Another gossip says that they never would have thought that Chu Xia would get an exception to register for the competition.  The third gossip talks about how one of the judges to the competition stole the registration form for one of the participants, so this will be fun to watch.  Their friend answers that it’ll be more interesting to watch Xin Wei exposing the likes of Man Kuai.  Xiao Nan overhears everything and reports back to Chu Xia that Man Kuai’s going to be one of the judges, so she should be careful, but Chu Xia says she already heard the news that morning.  She’s not worried though.  Man Kuai can be a judge and she’ll continue to do her own thing.  Furthermore, there’s also Xin Wei.  Chu Xia then tells Xiao Nan that her purpose in participating this time is to merely participate in it; she doesn’t hope for anything more. 

Chu Xia and Xiao Nan are standing next to the school’s main stairwell for this conversation.  Just as Xiao Nan asks if Qi Lu knows about it, he walks down the stairs.  Qi Lu starts to answer and then notices him on the stairwell.  He stops at the base of the stairwell and calls out a, “Hi!” but it turns out he’s waving to Man Kuai, who’s just past the girls.  Xiao Nan watches them with a glare as Man Kuai joins him and then they walk off together.  She turns back to Chu Xia and tells her to come with her.  When Chu Xia asks where they’re going, Xiao Nan tells her they’re going to catch adulterers in the act. 

First we see Qi Lu telling Man Kuai that perhaps there’s a problem with her brain.  Then we see Xiao Nan and Chu Xia spying on them from underneath a table.  Chu Xia asks if this is okay, and Xiao Nan says if they don’t keep their eyes on them, then Qi Lu and Man Kuai really will get back together.  Chu Xia says if they get back together then so be it; after all, she’s already given up on him.  Then she remembers and asks Xiao Nan, didn’t she want her to get together with Chen Chuan anyway, so why is she following Qi Lu?  Xiao Nan tells her this is all part of that female instinct to want to win especially when she just doesn’t like Xiang Man Kuai, and so wants to see Chu Xia knock her down. 

At that moment, Chen Chuan happens upon them and asks what they’re doing.  Xiao Nan uses her chin to point in Qi Lu and Man Kuai’s direction and that’s when Chen Chuan sees the two of them talking.  He runs over there yelling out Qi Lu’s name as the girls race after him, trying to call him back.  Qi Lu asks him what he wants and Chen Chuan takes a seat, saying they need to talk.  Qi Lu ask what the two of them could possibly have to talk about and Chen Chuan answers that it’s about Chu Xia’s future, just as she and Xiao Nan catch up to him.  Chu Xia tells Chen Chuan to stop talking nonsense and tries to drag him away with Xiao Nan’s help, but Chen Chuan just says he’s being serious.  He tells Qi Lu that in order to let Chu Xia focus on creating work for the competition, he’s arranged for her to stay at a hotel and hopes Qi Lu won’t try and stop her.  It’s clear that Chu Xia and Xiao Nan are as surprised by this announcement as the others, with Chu Xia asking him under her breath when he made these arrangements and why he never discussed them with her.  But Qi Lu just asks her, in that controlled but pissed off voice of his that he gets, whether this was her wish.  Man Kuai cuts in to tell Qi Lu that if Chu Xia wants to go abroad for further studying, then he should support her.  Besides, she points out, it’s not like she won’t come back and asks Chu Xia for confirmation of that.  Xiao Nan tells her that’s not necessarily the case as Chu Xia will be able to go directly to France if she takes the top prize in this year’s competition, and then she won’t have to live in someone else’s home anymore.  Chu Xia starts to give her own answer and says, “Actually . . .”  But just then, a waitress brings over Man Kuai’s drink and it goes crashing to the floor.  Qi Lu shows concern towards Man Kuai, asking her if she burned herself anywhere, and even wipes her hand for her.  At that, Chu Xia announces that she’ll move her things that night.  Qi Lu looks up in surprise and asks if she’s sure, and she answers yes.  Then she runs away with her friend and Chen Chuan chasing after her.

That night, Chen Chuan takes Chu Xia to the hotel while Qi Lu stares out at the sky on his balcony.

At the hotel, Chen Chuan introduces Chu Xia to her new digs and asks if she likes it.  She thanks him for helping her register for the competition and now arranging this hotel room and tells him she doesn’t know how to thank him.  But Chen Chuan tells her not to talk like that because if she does, then it means she’s never considered him a true friend.  He then leads her farther into the room for her surprise, which is that he’s decked it out with stuffed animals and other things to make it look more homey.  He’s also arranged for art supplies which he’s set out by the desk so she can work on her designs.  Chen Chuan then tells her it’s late so he’ll let her get settled, but she should remember to call him if she ever needs anything.

It’s the day of the first stage of the competition.  All the participants stand on stage with a desk in front of them.  On the desk is a white t-shirt and various art supplies.  The idea is to, within one hour, decorate the t-shirt with a design to fit the theme of the competition.  They’ll then pick fifteen participants to pass on to the next stage.  As the competition starts, everyone but Chu Xia starts to work immediately  Chu Xia stands there for a while though wondering what she should do and people start to take notice that she hasn’t started working.  But Chu Xia’s thinking out loud in her head about how she can separate herself apart from others and reminds herself that the purpose of the competition is to be creative and come up with new ideas, and not to simply paint.  She doesn’t let the fact that the clock is ticking rush her though and once she has an idea in place, she starts to get to work.  She pulls out paint and in the audience, Xiao Nan asks Chen Chuan what she’s doing.  Even the judges take notice of what she’s doing, with Man Kuai just nodding and smiling to herself. 

The competition comes to an end and everyone holds up their t-shirts.  Chu Xia’s looks different from the others.  The judges then go over the stacks of t-shirts, discussing them with each other.  Finally, the results are announced and Qi Lu arrives at the auditorium just in time to hear them.  Both Xin Wei and Chu Xia make the cut, but it’s also announced that Chu Xia is the winner of this first competition.  Everyone cheers and even Qi Lu looks happy from where he’s standing.  But as the announcer reminds everyone that there’s still more to the competition, his smile turns to a frown and he walks away. 

Chu Xia is celebrating with Xiao Nan and her other classmates in the hallway when Chen Chuan arrives with a huge bouquet of flowers.  In the distance, Qi Lu watches over them.  He hears Chu Xia asking Chen Chuan how he managed to have flowers already when the competition just finished, and Xiao Nan’s explains that he’d prepared the flowers beforehand since he was positive she’d win first place.  Man Kuai walks into the hallway at that moment as well and sees Qi Lu watching the others.  She turns away just as Qi Lu does the same. 

Man Kuai meets with Xin Wei in their usual spot: the school rooftop.  Xin Wei questions the judges’ tastes and wonders how they could’ve given Chu Xia top marks.  Man Kuai tells her there’s no point in getting mad, and points out that no matter how well she drew her painting, it was just a painting.  Chu Xia, on the other hand, created, and that was the point of the competition.  She then reminds Xin Wei that there’s a difference between being a designer and a painter.  Xin Wei asks her what she’s supposed to do then if all future stages are going to be like this, and asks if she isn’t destined to lose.  Man Kuai says she has to hold in her anger and reminds her that she has her.  But Xin Wei doesn’t see how that’s of any use to her considering that Man Kuai was there today as well, but the other judges still picked Chu Xia for first place.  Man Kuai points out that the starting point to any cooperative effort is trust and if Xin Wei can’t trust her, then she might as well go play by herself.  Xin Wei stops Man Kuai from leaving and asks that she share her other plans.  Man Kuai just scoffs in answer.

It’s night time and Chu Xia is walking by herself.  She goes back to the chalkboard at Cat Ear Alley and thinks, “Mama, I finally made it one step closer to my dream.  Do you think of me?  I really miss you.”  She looks over all the messages written on the chalkboard, including messages she’d written in the past and smiles over then.  Then she sees a new message, which surprises her.  It says, “Good-luck on the competition.”  She takes out her phone and takes a picture of it.

And since I recapped out of order, putting things back in order . . . :)

Episode 14: https://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/397147-mainland-chinese-drama-2017-master-devil-do-not-kiss-me-惡魔少爺別吻我/?page=3#comment-20450118

Episode 15: https://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/397147-mainland-chinese-drama-2017-master-devil-do-not-kiss-me-惡魔少爺別吻我/?do=findComment&comment=20448197

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, wow.  Just finished watching (and skimming) Eps 16-19.  Wow.

Spoiler

It's funny because when S2 started, a friend and I were examining the scenes included in the opening song and for the one where Chu Xia is crying in a car with an older man, we speculated that he might turn out to be her father.  And then, tonight, just as I started episode 19, I said to that same friend, "You know, it just occurred to me, and I'm not sure but I'd have to go and rewatch scenes with Xin Wei's dad in them, but I think that man in the car is him."  And then, not half an hour later, there he was back on screen telling Chu Xia he was her father.  :tongue:

Now I can't wait to go back and watch these same episodes again.  I kind of speed through them out of impatience once and then go back for a proper watch.  I just hope I don't suffer whiplash... the push and pull between QI Lu and Chu Xia started to get to me a little, I confess, but I'm glad there was some forward progress to help balance it out.  Mostly, I'm eager to see how they'll resolve everything in the remaining four episodes.  I hope we get a lot of cute.  That is all.  :)

These episodes are just too short! 

Well, the reverse harem is in full swing apparently. An exercise in utter frustration. Too much jealousy wafting through the hallowed corridors of exclusive private schooling. 

Just when I thought things were looking up... all these extraneous people get in the way. But it's not entirely their fault, as the OTP can't decide whether they're coming or going. CX needs to make up her mind to fight for QL and not let MK walk all over her. I still think at the back of her mind CX doesn't think she's good enough for QL. And QL... he has a lot on his mind and he's not getting much encouragement from her.

Sigh... these two are adding gray hairs faster than my own kids. Still they seemed to have finally locked lips willingly. I did like his semi-drunken confession and apparently it marks his surrender. Not sure what else ensued though. At least she knows that he's her mysterious wall pen pal. 

I had my suspicions that CX's dad would be a wealthy type... but heh... that was a little unexpected. But nice poetic irony.

Not super happy about having to wait another week to get to the other end of the cliff-hanger. Is the newfound Dad going to use HQL as a bargaining chip? His father's company desperately needs an injection of capital. Will that be the card he plays?

Master Devil, Season 2

Episode 16 Recap

Spoiler

Qi Lu marvels at the table filled with food and notes that all the dishes are ones he loves to eat.  He comments that it’s great having a chef in the house.  Man Kuai serves him one of the dishes and asks him to try it.  She says she hasn’t made it in a while and doesn’t know if it tastes as it did once before.  Qi Lu says he’s going to try and then once he does, exclaims over how delicious it is.  He says it’s the same as before and her skills haven’t changed.  Then he serves some of the food to Chu Xia and tells her to try since it tastes really good.  Chu Xia, who’s been sitting there looking pretty unhappy this entire time, takes a bite.  He asks her how it is and she admits it tastes good. 

Man Kuai says that if they like her food, she’s willing to come over every day since there’s no one else in the house to cook for them, so long as they don’t find her annoying.  Qi Lu likes this idea and wonders how they’d find her annoying.  On the contrary, he’s grateful because he was just thinking earlier that morning that if he had to eat Chu Xia’s terrible for an entire week, then he’d have to die early.  Chu Xia just glares at him at that, while he spares her a glance. 

Qi Lu asks Man Kuai how her leg is and asks if he should take her to the hospital after they’ve finished eating to have someone look at it.  Man Kuai says it’s no big deal and asks him to not fuss over it, reminding him that they already put medicine on it earlier.  Qi Lu jokes he’s just afraid that if her leg doesn’t heal, then there’ll be no one to make them food to eat.  Chu Xia’s been sitting sullenly by them this entire time.  Unable to take it anymore, she slaps down her chopsticks and says she’s done eating.  Qi Lu asks her how much she’s eaten, that she’d be full after eating one piece of vegetable.  Chu Xia answers that she’s been dieting lately so she can’t eat too much.  Qi Lu thinks about it for a second and then reaches over to pinch her cheek.  “It is rather plump,” he agrees.  But then he tells her she should eat more anyway because only then will she have strength to be his maid.  Chu Xia asks him who wants to be his maid, and he answers her, of course.  She’s about ready to tell him off, but he’s saved by her phone ringing.  He tells her that she’s not allowed to answer the phone while they’re eating, but she ignores him anyway.  After taking the call, Chu Xia tells the other person that she’ll head over immediately and then leaves.

Once Chu Xia’s gone, Man Kuai asks Qi Lu if he doesn’t think that Chu Xia and Chen Chuan are a pretty good match.  Qi Lu asks loudly, “Are they?!”  And then in a smaller voice, he says, “I don’t think so.”

It’s the night scene of China and we hear two voices.  Feng Shao says that no matter what, they can’t let Chu Xia spend the night at the Han house.  Chen Chuan asks what they’re going to do.  The answer is to get her drunk! 

Chu Xia, Feng Shao, and Chen Chuan are drinking at their favorite dinner snack bar place.  They each take a drink and Chu Xia curses Qi Lu when she’s done, calling him a bastard.  Feng Shao and Chen Chuan agree that he’s a bastard.  Then she starts talking about Man Kuai without naming any names and says she’s obviously faking, yet Qi Lu can’t tell.  Then she tells Feng Shao and Chen Chuan how the two of them were making eyes in front of her and flirting with each other; it was too much!  Chen Chen tries to comfort her by telling her not to be mad and drink more. 

Qi Lu and Man Kuai walk out onto the balcony.  He leans over the edge and sneezes, and wonders who’s cursing at him.  Man Kuai laughs and wonders when he became so superstitious.  He says he was influenced by Chu Xia and that lately, his IQ’s been getting lower and lower.  Man Kuai then asks him if Chu Xia knows about him going to England.  He shakes his head no, and she asks if he’s not going to tell her.  Qi Lu says that since it’s not anything he can resolve himself either, he doesn’t want to drag her into it.  Man Kaui then tells him that no matter what happens, she’ll face with it with him, and that even though there’s nothing she can do for him with her current abilities, she’ll stay by his side.  She walks over to give him a back hug and says, “Qi Lu, can we…?”  But he stands up and cuts her off by saying it’s late so he’ll take her home, since they still have to get up early in the morning.  He then walks away first, leaving Man Kuai behind.

Back at the snack bar, Chu Xia’s pretty deep in her cups while Feng Shao and Chen Chuan are trying to communicate through pointed looks and various grunts.  Essentially, Feng Shao is telling Chen Chuan that they have to keep their efforts up.  When he asks until when and Feng Shao says, until she’s drunk, Chen Chuan asks, until she’s so drunk she’ll get a room (the implication being with him).  That was not what Feng Shao meant though and he asks Chen Chuan out loud what he’s thinking, which jolts Chu Xia out of her stupor.  She asks what’s wrong and they tell her “nothing,” and encourage her to keep drinking.  While she does that, the men have a sidebar conversation where Chen Chuan explains that’s not what he meant and he’s not that kind of a guy.  Instead, he just meant that they’d get her so drunk that they’d have to take her to a hotel and once he was assured that she was okay, he’d leave.  That’s sounds fine to Feng Shao who comments that no matter what, their purpose this evening is to ensure that she and Qi Lu don’t have the opportunity to spend the night together.  Chen Chuan points out that this is only one night and asks what they’re going to do for all the other, but Feng Shao tells him not to worry as he’s already thought of all sorts of different methods, and that anyway, the main point is that before Qi Lu’s father comes home, the two of them are not to have any opportunity to be together alone.  They then turn their attention back to Chu Xia, who asks them where they’ve been.  She comments that they’ve been acting suspiciously and then adds, “Not a single one of them are good!”  (She’s clearly still stuck on Qi Lu and not happy with him.)

Feng Shao’s girlfriend calls at that moment.  He tells her he’s drinking but it sounds like she wants him to come pick her up, so he leaves and tells Chen Chuan to take care of Chu Xia.  Chu Xia asks immediately where Feng Shao is and Chen Chuan tells her he already left.  He then suggests they not drink anymore given the state she’s already in, but Chu Xia’s not ready to quit and refutes the suggestion that she’s had a lot to drink already.  Chen Chuan then thinks to himself that he needs to get her super drunk and apologizes to her in advance before calling out for more drink. 

Qi Lu’s riding back in the car and looks at his watch.  He asks his driver to stop by the road before going home and pulls out his phone.  He gets a voicemail recording. 

Back at the bar, both Chen Chuan and Chu Xia are deep in their cups now.  She’s trying to get him to drink more but he’s passed out over a bottle.  Chen Chuan comments that she really knows how to drink and that’s when Chu Xia pulls out a bottle of pills from her purse.  She says thank goodness she came prepared; they’re pills to neutralize the effect of alcoholic drinks.  Chen Chuan is impressed.  His phone rings and he answers; it’s QI Lu and he wants to know if Chu Xia’s with him.  Chu Xia grabs the phone and he asks her where she is so he can come pick her up. 

“I’m . . . why do you care what I’m doing?  I’m not going to tell you where I am.  Han Qi Lu, don’t you have your Little Kuai now?  Go find your Little Kuai.  Han Qi Lu, let me tell you, you’re a fool, idiot, and a quail’s egg!  [Well, the literal translation is quail’s egg and I’m sure there’s a colloquial use the for the word along the same lines as idiot and fool, but I don’t know what it is.]  A dinosaur egg and what other eggs are there?”  [Fool and idiot are translated from words that all have the character for “egg” in them.]”

Chen Chuan laughs drunkenly as he suggests a fried egg.  Chu Xia laughs out lout and, in his car, Qi Lu just hurls his phone to the side.  Then he tells the driver to start the car and head home.

Chen Chuan tells Chu Xia that she did a good job yelling at Qi Lu and encourages her to keep on drinking, but she tells him they should stop drinking and that they should leave.  She explains that if they don’t leave and keep drinking, Qi Lu might catch up to them.  That gets Chen Chuan moving and they both get up to leave.  The snack bar owner calls out to them that they haven’t yet paid their bill and Chu Xia just climbs onto Chen Chuan’s back as they run away like the pair of drunks they are.

Back in her apartment room, Man Kuai steps out of the bathroom in her bathrobe and walks gingerly to her bed.  She examines her foot and as she touches the area that got burnt, she starts moving her wrist in such a way to suggest that that’s what’s really paining her.  Then she flashes back to a time in the past where she was running around on the tracks and Qi Lu caught up to her.  He told her to stop running, but she tells him she still has two more laps to run.  He tells her that she only got two questions wrong, and that there’s no need for her to be this serious.  She tells him that you have to be the type of person who has high standards for themselves, that way you won’t become mediocre.  Qi Lu answers that if she’s mediocre then she should just be mediocre, since sooner or later, she’ll be his wife anyway.  At that, Man Kuai stops running and asks him if these are his puppy love methods.  He tells that whether it’s puppy love or not, it’s all love.  His answer makes her laugh as she jokingly asks back, “Who’s going to be your wife?”  The flashback concludes and we’re back in Man Kuai’s room where she’s holding onto her wrist and it looks like it’s really paining her.

Qi Lu is in bed and petting the cat.  He gives up trying to fall asleep and sits up, and tries to play with the cat.  He sighs.

It’s the next morning and Chen Chuan and Chu Xia are on one of the school benches with him sitting upright and her lying down, using his leg for a pillow.  Everyone, and I do mean everyone, is taking photos of them with their cell phones.  The noises from their snapshots wake up Chu Xia who nudges Chen Chuan awake.  In a flashback, we see what happened the night before after they’d left the snack bar.  Chen Chuan had led her there with her asking if it was safe.  He told her it was definitely safe and explained that the most dangerous place was also the safest place because Qi Lu would definitely not be able to find them there.  At the sound of his name, Chu Xia yells out that Qi Lu is a fried egg and Chen Chuan agrees, also calling him a fried egg and saying that in the end, Qi Lu would regret it.  By this point, Chu Xia is practically passed out, and that’s where the flashback ends.

Now it’s morning and everyone is still taking pictures of them so Chu Xia runs off.  Chen Chuan runs after her, asking where she’s going, and calls out that he’ll take responsibility for her.

Inside the school building, Chu Xia runs into Qi Lu who’s carrying what looks like a uniform in a bag.  He asked her where she went the night before.  In the background, Xin Wei and Wan Zi are walking and when they hear his question, Wan Zi tells Xin Wei, “I heard that last night, Chu Xia and Chen Chuan spent the night together on the school’s lawn.  Man Kuai says, “Really?  How could she be so shameless?”  They then make pointed looks as they continue walking past and purposely change the subject to talk about how nice the weather is today.  After they leave, Qi Lu asks, “Spent the night?  What did you do with Chen Chuan last night?”

“What are you thinking?”

“What I’m thinking isn’t important.  The key question is what you did!”

“Han Qi Lu, don’t use that tone of voice to talk with me.  Does it look like I did something unforgiveable towards you?”

“Whether you did or not, you would be most clear about that!” 

“What am I clear about?  The only thing I’m clear about is how you and Xiao Kuai are all lovey dovey with each other, treating me like I’m just air.  I’m also clear about how when the two of you had your candlelight dinner, you treated me like a candle and burned me, just to add to your own atmosphere.  Han Qi Lu, be honest with how you really feel.  If you like that person then just get back together with that person, don’t just keep your eye on the pot while you’re eating from the bowl [i.e., be greedy].  I’m not the buy one get one free product in your love world.”

Qi Lu shoves the bag with her uniform at her and tells her angrily to take it.  She asks if he’s crazy before walking off.  Qi Lu is still staring back at her looking pissed and irritated when his phone rings. 

The next scene takes place in his father’s hospital room.  A woman dressed also in a pajama set that matches Liu Ge’s walks in to offer him fruit.  [Matching PJ set = hospital issued, or crazy woman who’s trying to wear matching clothes with her crush?  Unclear.]  She flirts with him until Qi Lu’s mother starts coughing in the background.  This interloper woman then asks Yuan Yuan why she hasn’t left yet, asking if she isn’t tired after staying by Liu Ge’s side all this time.  She suggests that Yuan Yuan go home for some rest and reassures that she’ll stay by Liu Ge’s side to take care of him.  Yuan Yuan says she’s not at all tired and suggests instead that the other woman must be the tired one, from running over every day to send fruit and whatnot.  The other woman tells Yuan Yuan she’s not tired, but decides to retreat anyway and tells Liu Ge she’ll be back on the morrow to see him again.  After she leaves, Yuan Yuan tells Liu Ge not to look anymore and that they should leave and get him discharged from the hospital.  Liu Ge points out his doctor hasn’t said he’s ready to be discharged and Yuan Yuan asks if he can’t bear to leave her.  He tells her that’s not what he means and again reminds her that she was the one who’d said he should stay in hospital to get some rest.  She tells him she’s taking back those words because she can’t bear to stay in the hospital another day.  But when she tells Lao Han to get ready to leave and he asks if she’s really ready to leave that same day, that seems to make her realize how ridiculous she’s being and she runs over to Liu Ge and says she was wrong just now.  Liu Ge says that’s okay because he’s about recovered anyway and can just easily rest at home.  Now that he’s the one ready go home, she tells him that’s not acceptable and that he should stay in the hospital where the food’s better, there’s people to take care of them, and it’s not as noisy.  Liu Ge says, now that she mentions things not being as noisy, that makes him think of Qi Lu.  He wonders how Qi Lu’s doing and why he hasn’t come to see him.  Yuan Yuan reassures him that Qi Lu is very busy with school, and that’s why he hasn’t visited.  When he starts to ask for his phone so he can call the company to see how things are doing, she and Lao Han make all sorts of excuses about how both his, her, and Lao Han’s phones are unavailable.

Qi Lu is in the car dressed in a suit.  His phone rings again and it’s his mother.  After listening, he says, “That’s fine.  I understand.  Don’t worry.  I’ve already found out a solution for the company’s problems.  Okay, bye bye.”

Qi Lu and the secretary walk down a hallway together.  The secretary is telling him about how the other side said that so long as the investment plan passes through, they’ll help them with the investment and help them get past this difficult period.  Qi Lu asks her when they’ll hear from Le Xi [a different company], and she tells him that it should be within the next two days.  She adds that they’ve already had an opportunity to look at the investment plan, but they just won’t give a clear answer.  Then she tells him that actually, Le Xi is just a small case, but… And Qi Lu finishes the thought for her saying, “But they want to use Le Xi’s case to see where Han Shi Ji Tuan is at its lowest state and determine whether they’re going to give us the 100 million.”  [Or something like that.  Translating business-related convos is not my strong suit.]  The secretary tells him he’s smart [meaning that he’s grasped the situation perfectly]. 

Qi Lu asks what the origins of the other side are.  She answers that she doesn’t know, and that all they said was that they were old acquaintances of his.  Qi Lu wonders, “Old acquaintance?”  And then he opens the door to the conference room and sees Han Yu.

Han Yu walks forward and says, “I’m Ling Hang Ji Tuan’s executive director, Ling Han Yu.”

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

These episodes are just too short!

I know!  And we've only four left.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I had my suspicions that CX's dad would be a wealthy type... but heh... that was a little unexpected. But nice poetic irony.

The writing was definitely on the wall with that one, and in the original web novel (according to a friend of mine) it's the same except that she's the daughter of Chen Chuan's stepfather, so they become step-siblings.  So, while the wealthy dad part was not so much a surprise, having her be half-sisters with Xin Wei definitely was!  Wonder what she's going to do in the next four episodes now that's feeling like she's losing both her father and Qi Lu to Chu Xia.  (Although, why she feels like she's losing Qi Lu, I'll never understand because it's not like she ever had him. :tongue:)

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Well, the reverse harem is in full swing apparently. An exercise in utter frustration. Too much jealousy wafting through the hallowed corridors of the exclusive private schooling. 

Just when I thought things were looking up... all these extraneous people get in the way. But it's not entirely their fault, the OTP can't decide whether they're coming or going. CX needs to make up her mind to fight for QL and not let MK walk all over her. I still think at the back of her mind CX doesn't think she's good enough for QL. And QL... he has a lot on his mind and he's not getting much encouragement from her.

Sigh... these two are adding gray hairs faster than my own kids. Still they seemed to have finally locked lips willingly. I did like his semi-drunken confession and apparently it marks his surrender. Not sure what else ensued though. At least she knows that he's her mysterious wall pen pal.

Argh.  So much frustration!  I used to say this drama was "It Started to Kiss" and "Boys Over Flowers" rolled into one, but after the past couple of episodes, I'm adding "Goong" to that mix.  When I watch this drama, I'm very much reminded of how I wanted to bash my head into the computer screen while watching "Goong" because the leads in that drama also wouldn't communicate and let the ex-girlfriend and cousin come between them through their distrust and insecurities.  It's the same exact thing here.

I loved all the things you mentioned (his drunken confession, her discovery of the wall pen pal), but it also felt like with every four steps forward they took, they just took those same four steps backwards (instead of at least going back only one or two steps).  For example, witness how happy she was after she discovered he'd been the one to leave the notes for her on the wall, but then the minute she was back at school and Xiao Nan mentioned Man Kuai's name to her, she was back to being all doubtful and jealous. And every time they're jealous, they just lash out at each other.  Gah.

I find them to be equally parts frustrating at this point, and I was especially frustrated while recapping episode 16 tonight because I was reminded of all the things that were driving me bonkers last night except it was even more clear because i was watching it in repeat mode in order to recap.  :tongue:  But for example, look at what she says when she's drunk in episode 16.  First, she seems to recognize that Man Kuai is just putting on an act and that Qi Lu's an idiot for not realizing it.  Well, why doesn't she feel that way when she's sober?!  Instead, it's Xiao Nan who's asking her why she's so determined to think well of Man Kuai and treat her well.  Also, when she goes off on Qi Lu about him being an idiot and all sorts of eggs when he calls her that night, how can he not see that she's just feeling insecure about Man Kuai?  And if that drunken rant wasn't obvious enough for him, surely he must've gotten the picture when she railed at him the morning after.  And yet, he does nothing but seethes and gets mad himself, and even goes on in the episodes that follow to feel jealous about Chen Chuan.  How?!  Why?! 

See the flashing neon lights in front of you, peoples!  I swear, Qi Lu and Chu Xia, they're going to be the death of me.... Haha.

@themarchioness Thanks again for the recaps and please continue doing them when you can.

@40somethingahjumma Despite having watched probably every conceivable plot and ending to a highschool drama, they still have the power to reel me in, although I've had to tamp down on the urge to throw stuff at my television out of sheer frustration with the characters (and the scriptwriter/director).

10 hours ago, hinotori93 said:

@40somethingahjumma Despite having watched probably every conceivable plot and ending to a highschool drama, they still have the power to reel me in, although I've had to tamp down on the urge to throw stuff at my television out of sheer frustration with the characters (and the scriptwriter/director).

I'm the same. I don't watch them that often but I've read and watched a few manga related stories over the years for the humour more than anything because one certainly doesn't watch them for realism. Devil Master isn't bad actually but as @themarchioness has pointed out, the leads are constantly in a tango (or a tangle). Two steps forward and then a few steps back.

If I could... if it were possible... as an older person... I'd like to give the OTP a few head slaps and tell them to get their act together.

Also I'm concerned about the amount of drinking and drunkenness we've been seeing. It's as if no one can be honest about how they feel without the aid of alcohol. 

17 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I find them to be equally parts frustrating at this point, and I was especially frustrated while recapping episode 16 tonight because I was reminded of all the things that were driving me bonkers last night except it was even more clear because i was watching it in repeat mode in order to recap.  :tongue:  But for example, look at what she says when she's drunk in episode 16.  First, she seems to recognize that Man Kuai is just putting on an act and that Qi Lu's an idiot for not realizing it.  Well, why doesn't she feel that way when she's sober?!  Instead, it's Xiao Nan who's asking her why she's so determined to think well of Man Kuai and treat her well.  Also, when she goes off on Qi Lu about him being an idiot and all sorts of eggs when he calls her that night, how can he not see that she's just feeling insecure about Man Kuai?  And if that drunken rant wasn't obvious enough for him, surely he must've gotten the picture when she railed at him the morning after.  And yet, he does nothing but seethes and gets mad himself, and even goes on in the episodes that follow to feel jealous about Chen Chuan.  How?!  Why?! 

See the flashing neon lights in front of you, peoples!  I swear, Qi Lu and Chu Xia, they're going to be the death of me.... Haha.

Maybe it's a sign of their immaturity? But of course teenagers are known for their immaturity. :wink: But at 20, QL is hardly one is he? He may be suffering from a kind of prolonged adolescence. :tongue:

To be fair to QL, he does have a lot on his plate right now trying to save his father's company while studying although again everyone seems to know that except CX. And she's very insecure about MK and yet she keeps it bottled up. I imagine that's because she does feel sorry for MK in part and resents her presence in part. 

I can't say if it's the weakness of the writing that there's so much backwards and forwards with the leads or just my natural impatience to see greater progression and watch the plot advance beyond the doings of the harems.

To be honest, I think there's too much going on for a show that has such short episodes on the one hand; and too little going on in terms of character development. Lots of heat and noise but very little movement.

Master Devil, Season 2

Episode 17 Recap

Spoiler

It’s the end of classes and everyone’s packing up when Xiao Nan leans over to tell Chu Xia that she heard that last night, she and Jiang Chen Chuan . . . Chu Xia cuts her off by saying that’s enough, but Xiao Nan says she was hoping to hear the inside details.  At that moment, Chen Chuan walks past and drops something on Chu Xia’s desk before rushing out himself.  The girls wonder what he’s up to, acting all weird like that, but when Chu Xia reads the note he left for her, it says, “I’ll take responsibility for you!”  Xiao Nan reads the note over her shoulder and exclaims over the content.  “And you said nothing happened!”  But then she thinks about it and asks, “Do you want him to take responsibility for you?”  Chu Xia asks how Xiao Nan can want to cause trouble like everyone else, and then the camera pans over to show Man Kuai getting up from her own desk.  She walks back to Chu Xia’s desk and says she heard Chu Xia didn’t go home the night before.  Then she tells her that she and Qi Lu really worried over her and asks where she went.  Chu Xia tells her she went to a friend’s house and Man Kuai says that’s okay then, but she was so worried she didn’t sleep well.  Then she reminds Chu Xia that she’s about to enter the next design competition soon so she should prepare well for it.  She also tells Chu Xia that if she has any questions, she should feel free to ask her.  After she leaves, Xiao Nan makes faces behind her back and says she’s so fake.  Chu Xia just sighs out loud. 

Qi Lu and Han Yu are riding someone in a car.  Qi Lu comments that Han Yu was doing well, studying abroad, but the minute he returned home, he gave him such a large surprise.  He asks jokingly if this was Han Yu’s way of making him fall in love with him all over again.  Han Yu says he’s overthinking things.  He was just afraid Qi Lu’s family would go bankrupt and came back so he could find him to borrow money.  Qi Lu says, “So that’s why you brought one hundred million back with you.”  Han Yu tells him that he shouldn’t misunderstand as this one hundred million isn’t definitely his yet, as they still have to persuade his company’s stockholders.  He points out that if Qi Lu wants to persuade them to invest, he’s going to have to show them what his company’s worth.  The Le Xi matter is just a test and only if he passes that with the one million dollars be theirs.  Qi Lu tells him he understands, but then adds that no matter what, he’s still grateful to Han Yu.  Han Yu asks him how he’s going to thank him, and asks, “Are you going to step aside and give Chu Xia to me?”  When he sees Qi Lu’s expressionless face, he says, “Look at that stingy look of yours!  I was just teasing you!”  At that, Qi Lu smiles but he looks away and says, “But it looks like right now your opponent isn’t me.”  Han Yu asks him who it is then, and Qi Lu says, “You’ll know in a little bit.” 

Xiao Nan and Chu Xia are walking out of school together and Xiao Nan is blathering on about some food she wants to eat.  Chu Xia is lost in her own thoughts, but is pulled out of them when Xiao Nan points in the distance and they see Chen Chuan waiting for them next to his car.  He calls out to her as Xiao Nan asks why he’s still there.  He says that since Chu Xia hasn’t left, how could he leave?  He then tells them to come with him as he wants to show them something, and walks around to the trunk of his jeep.  He opens the door and it’s filled with roses.  He once again tells Chu Xia that he’s going to take responsibility for her and announces loudly that from now on, Chu Xia is his women.  She tells him to shut up and reminds him that the only thing that happened between them last night was that they got drunk and fell asleep on the school lawn together, nothing else happened.  Chen Chuan just tells her not to try and comfort him as he’s going to be responsible for her, and she tells him she doesn’t want him to be responsible for her.  It’s at this moment when she’s struggling to get away from him and he’s latched onto her arm that the car Qi Lu and Han Yu are in pulls up.

Han Yu gets out of the car, tells Chen Chuan to let go of Chu Xia, and walks over to her side.  Chu Xia is surprised to see him.  He asks if she thought about him because he thought of her, but when he goes to give her a hug, she steps away from him.  Chen Chuan joins the conversation and asks why Han Yu came back.  He said if he didn’t, Chu Xia would get seized by him, so of course he had to come back.  Chen Chuan tell him it’s too late because she’s already his woman, which is when Qi Lu puts his arm around Chu Xia’s neck and asks him quite forcefully, “What do you mean your woman?!  She’s my maid and my family’s!”  Xiao Nan gasps at this and asks, “So are the three of you going to start an open fight for Chu Xia now?”  And all three boys answer in one unified voice, “It’s none of your business.”  Chu Xia tells them that they can all keep talking, but she’s leaving.

Before Chu Xia can take off, Han Yu tells her he’s planning a return party for that night, which is why he came over to pick her up.  He explains that his grandfather’s not home today as he went on a trip and tells Xiao Nan that she should come too as he’s invited a bunch of their classmates.  He then adds that he’s being sincere right now.  Chu Xia agrees to the invitation and Chen Chuan immediately leaps to say that he’s going too.  Qi Lu asks him if he was invited and Chen Chuan tells him he’s being too stingy.  Han Yu just tells everyone he’s leaving and Xiao Nan follows after him while Chen Chuan heads for his own car.  This leaves Qi Lu and Chu Xia as the only ones still standing together.  They look at each other awkwardly before continuing on in their separate directions. 

Everyone’s at Han Yu’s party and Chu Xia just stares in shock as Xiao Nan keeps eating one thing after another.  She tells Xiao Nan to not eat so much as she’s afraid she’ll just gain weight, but Xiao Nan just says that being slightly plump is the best figure to have.  Chu Xia pinches one of hers cheek and says, “But you’re plump.”  Xiao Nan puts down what she’s eating and retaliates by grabbing both of Chu Xia’s cheek and says, “And you’re talking about me?  Look at your face, which has become plump like this.”  This makes Chu Xia think about the other night when Qi Lu grabbed her face and said, “It is quite plump, but you should still eat more.  That way you’ll have the energy to be my maid.”  She then asks Xiao Nan what kind of girls boys like.  Xiao Nan tells her that different boys like different types of girls.  Then she takes Chu Xia’s hand to show her what she means.  She points to Chen Chuan and says his brain’s not normal, as he’s the type to like those who won’t give him the time of day.  She then points to Han Yu and says as soon as you look at him, you know he’s the type to like the bony, skinny, healthy kind.  As for Qi Lu, as soon as you look at him you know he’s the type to like those who are half plump, half lean, the kind who are like streaky pork all over, and who’ll bring their own sex appeal.  As Xiao Nan finishes her assessment, Chu Xia starts to look down at herself, but Xiao Nan tells her not to look.  She tells her that she’s got the streaky pork look going for her, but the one who’s capable of bring her own sex appeal is her… and she looks over in Man Kuai’s direction. 

They see Man Kuai working her way to the man huddle, and Xiao Nan grabs Chu Xia saying they should go too.

Over in the man huddle, Chen Chuan is exclaiming over the one hundred million dollars.  Qi Lu says, “That’s right.  He said so long as I gave Chu Xia to him, he’d give me one hundred million dollars.”  Qi Lu and Han Yu clink wine glasses.  “And help the Han family get over this difficult period.”  Han Yu laughs.  Chen Chuan protests that Chu Xia’s not his, so what right does he have to say he’s going to give her up.  Han Yu points out that Chu Xia is Qi Lu’s maid, so of course he has the right to do what he wants.  Qi Lu asks, “Or how about you give me one hundred million?” 

Chu Xia arrives at this moment and asks, “What’s this about one hundred million?”  Chen Chuan tells her that Qi Lu said for one hundred million, he’ll transfer her to Han Yu.  Xiao Nan gasps to hear that she could be sold for one hundred million, and Han Yu reassures her that they’re just joking.  Qi Lu says he’s not joking and Chu Xia asks him what right he has to sell her.  Qi Lu says that’s right he doesn’t have the right because it seems like right now, she and Master Jiang are a couple.  Provoked, Chu Xia twines her arm with Chen Chuan’s and says, “That’s right.  We are a couple, so what?”  Man Kuai arrives at this moment and calls out to Qi Lu.  He tells her that it’s a little boring over here and suggests that they go someplace else, and leaves everyone else behind.  Han Yu says that it actually is really noisy here and suggests to Chu Xia that they go to his room.  As he leads her away, Chen Chuan hears the word, “Room,” and taking issue with that, runs after them with Xiao Nan following.

Xin Wei and Wan Zi are watching all of this, and Wan Zi asks her what the situation is with all of them.  Xin Wei just answers cryptically by telling her that there’ll be a good show for them to watch tonight.

Qi Lu pours more wine for them both as he tells Man Kuai to drink more.  She asks if he’s just going to drink until he gets drunk, but he doesn’t answer and only pours himself more wine.  She asks if he’s being like this because of Chu Xia.  Again, he doesn’t answer and instead drinks the glass of wine he just poured. 

In Han Yu’s room, the remaining foursome play cards.  Han Yu sighs that he was hoping to be able to talk to Chu Xia alone, but Chen Chuan tells him so long as he’s around, there’s no way he’ll get a chance to talk to her alone.  Chu Xia suggests that they should both shut-up, and that’s when Xiao Nan plays her winning card.  Given that she’s the only with a clean face while everyone has strips of tissue hanging off there’s, it’s obvious that she’s been winning hand after hand tonight.  She suggests they play again but the others refuse.  Xiao Nan asks why not and Chu Xia tells her that she’s already won half of her monthly meal allowance.  Han Yu says he’ll pay for her portion as well as his own, but Chen Chuan tells him he’s not the only one with money and says he’ll pay for both the girls’ portions.  Xiao Nan agrees to this and says that from now on, he’ll have to pay for her every meal for one month.  Suddenly, the lights go off both inside and outside the house.  Everybody is confused as to what’s going on, and it looks like everyone who was still outside decides to take their leave now that it’s dark. 

The foursome makes their way downstairs just as the lights come back on.  One of the servants rushes in to tell Han Yu that it looked like a wire tripped, and explains that lately the electricity wiring in the house hasn’t been all that stable.  As they walk outside, they note that everyone has left.  Han Yu wonders where Qi Lu went.  They see one of their classmates walking past and ask him if he knows where Qi Lu went.  He tells them that Qi Lu got drunk and he thinks it was Man Kuai who took him with her.  Chu Xia looks down when she hears that and Xiao Nan looks concernedly at her.  Han Yu says it’s most likely Xiao Kuai took Qi Lu home already and offers to see Chu Xia home as well, but Chen Chuan tells him there’s no need as he can take Chu Xia and suggests that he sees Xiao Nan home instead.  When Xiao Nan doesn’t say anything, Chen Chuan leans over and whispers, “Food,” to her.  This jolts her into action as she tells Han Yu that he should give her a ride home.  Han Yu agrees, leaving Chen Chuan and Chu Xia together.  But even as Chen Chuan tells her it’s time for them to leave too, she’s still looking down and sad.

Qi Lu is lying dead asleep on the bed in Man Kuai’s apartment. 

Chen Chuan is driving Chu Xia home when he makes a turn.  She asks him where he’s going and he says, “I’m afraid I might regret this.”

Back in Man Kuai’s apartment, she emerges from the bathroom having just taken a shower.  As she dries her hair, she sits next to Qi Lu on the bed.  She looks at him and then starts to play with his hair, brushing it out of his eyes.  Just as she leans over as if to kiss him, he starts calling out Chu Xia’s name in his sleep repeatedly.  Then the door knocks.  It’s Chu Xia and Chen Chuan.  Chen Chuan asks her where Qi Lu is, and she just points in the direction of her bedroom as Qi Lu calls out, “Chu Xia!”  Chen Chuan goes to fetch him and as he drags Qi Lu out on his back, Man Kuai protests that it’s already late and he’s so drunk, she can hardly believe that they ran over to fetch him and tells them that he was fine spending the night at her place.  Chen Chuan tells her though that Qi Lu has his own house, and then he calls for Chu Xia to leave.  He exits, she follows, and Man Kuai just looks pissed.  [Which is how it should be; hee!]

Chen Chuan carries Qi Lu back to his own bedroom and lays him down on his bed.  Qi Lu is still mumbling Chu Xia’s name.  As Chen Chuan turns to leave, he tells Chu Xia that he knows she likes Qi Lu, but it’s okay because he’ll continue watching over her.  He also tells her that no matter what ends up happening, he doesn’t want to see her unhappy like she was today.  He takes one more look at Qi Lu before telling her to take care watching over him and leaves.  As he leaves, she finally says thank you, and he tells her good-night. 

Qi Lu calls out for water and as she back around to him, she hears a meow.  That’s when she sees the cat (whom she’s named, “Little Flower”) from the Cat Ear Alley.  She can hardly believe that Little Flower is there.  That’s when she realizes that all this time, her chalkboard pen pal was Qi Lu.  “So it was you.”

The next morning, at breakfast, Chu Xia swaps out Qi Lu’s scary looking eggs (that she obviously made) for a plate of bread.  She tells him to eat that while she eats the eggs.  He looks confused and reaches for the milk, but she immediately stands up and says she’ll do it, and takes the milk to pour him a glass.  Her attention and servitude leaves him scratching his head, literally, as he struggles to understand what’s going on.  He asks her if there’s anything wrong with her and she says no, and tells him to eat.  He asks how he’s supposed to eat though with her constantly staring at him.  Then tells her to confess and asks if she put poison in his milk or in his bread.  Chu Xia merely asks him why he’s thinking such ill thoughts about him and tells him again to hurry up and eat so they can go to school.  Qi Lu reaches for a slice of bread but can’t bring himself to eat it.  Then he tells her that she shouldn’t think that just because she’s being nice to him right now that he’ll forget about how a few nights ago, she didn’t come home.  Then he tells her that from now on, whenever she’s not within his line of vision, she’ll have to check in and report her location.  Also, she has to abide by three principles.  Number one, she can drink with other men, but she can’t get drunk.  Number two, she can talk with other men, but she can’t heart-to-heart talks with them.  And number three, she can spend the night with other men, but she can’t go overboard.  When he asks her if she understands, she immediately answers that she does, all still with a smile on her face, and tells him that he was correct in everything he said just now.  Qi Lu looks surprised by her ready agreement and scratches his head confusedly.  [I find his reaction and the stupefied expression on his face right here to be utterly adorable!]  He then touches her forehead and wonders, “You don’t have a fever,” but Chu Xia just says, “Aiya!  You don’t understand.”  Then she stands up and announces it’s time to go to school.  After she walks off, Qi Lu is still looking at the breakfast table and wondering what the heck just happened.  He picks up a piece of bread and sniffs at it before throwing it back down and saying, “Something’s not right.”  Then he gets up and grabs his own bag to go to school.

In the car, Chu Xia’s still smiling and laughing to herself.  Qi Lu finally asks her, “An Chu Xia, did I do something or say something last night?”  She says, “Nope!”  Qi Lu goes back to trying to figure out what’s going on with her.  He comments that even though he drank until the night before was hazy, he still remembers what happened during the day and he remembers that the two of them fought, and that she gave him a good yelling.  He also remembers that she told him not to touch her, and asks if that’s right.  Chu Xia who’s still been smiling this entire time tells him that she didn’t.  She then tells him he can even touch her now and grabs at his hands, inviting him to touch her.  This freaks Qi Lu out as he fights off her hands and finally says, “Don’t touch me!” 

Back in Classroom B, Chu Xia is still smiling and laughing, lost in her thoughts.  Xiao Nan looks over and asks what’s so funny.  She wonders if it’s the book Chu Xia’s reading and grabs it out of her hands, but when she sees the cover and realizes it’s an English textbook, she asks Chu Xia what’s wrong with her that she’d laugh over an English textbook.  Chu Xia tells her that she discovered a secret.  She then tells Xiao Nan to lean over and then she whispers the secret to Xiao Nan.  We don’t hear what she says, but we hear Xiao Nan’s reaction.  “What?!  Han Qi Lu is the mysterious person who was feeding the cats?!” 

“You’d never guess it, huh?  I’m surprised by this as well.  Actually, Han Qi Lu, he’s the type who likes to act like they’re really cool, but on the inside, he’s like a sunshine boy.” 

Xiao Nan looks at Chu Xia like she can hardly believe Chu Xia’s saying what she’s saying.  “A sunshine boy?  Han Qi Lu?”  Then she thinks about it and points out, “Even if he is that mysterious person, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have Xiang Man Kuai in his heart.”

Her observation pours a bucket of cold water over Chu Xia’s good mood and wipes the smile off her face.

Man Kuai and Xin Wei are together.  Xin Wei asks if Man Kuai would agree that their cooperative effort the night before was a thing of beauty.  Man Kuai doesn’t look as thrilled as Xin Wei sounds, and in a flashback, we see Xin Wei reading a message on her phone before putting it down and telling Wan Zi that she’s going to the bathroom.  Then she goes over to the circuit breaker box and turns off the lights.  Back in the present, Xin Wei tells Man Kaui that she’s thought through things clearly now and realizes that she’s got no game with Qi Lu.  Furthermore, between Man Kuai and Chu Xia, one who’s a past love and one who’s a new interest, there simply isn’t any room for her to make an entrance.  So now, she only has one goal, and that’s to get rid of Chu Xia so she can win the fashion design contest without any problems.  Man Kuai says she understands, but when her reaction is hardly one of excitement, Xin Wei asks what’s wrong with her.  Then she asks, “Yesterday, you and Qi Lu…”  Man Kuai cuts her off and tells her it’s nothing, and then tells her that she should focus on preparing for the next competition and reminds her that her competition isn’t just Chu Xia.  She takes her leave and leaves behind an irritated Xin Wei.  It’s clear Man Kuai’s superior attitude gets to her as well, and that’s where the episode ends.

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Maybe it's a sign of their immaturity? But of course teenagers are known for their immaturity. :wink: But at 20, QL is hardly one is he? He may be suffering from a kind of prolonged adolescence. :tongue:

To be fair to QL, he does have a lot on his plate right now trying to save his father's company while studying although again everyone seems to know that except CX. And she's very insecure about MK and yet she keeps it bottled up. I imagine that's because she does feel sorry for MK in part and resents her presence in part. 

I can't say if it's the weakness of the writing that there's so much backwards and forwards with the leads or just my natural impatience to see greater progression and watch the plot advance beyond the doings of the harems.

To be honest, I think there's too much going on for a show that has such short episodes on the one hand; and too little going on in terms of character development. Lots of heat and noise but very little movement.

You sound just like me.  I was conversing with a friend yesterday and saying very similar things.  I reminded myself that Qi Lu and Chu Xia are still young and immature, and then I remembered how there were things I said and did in relationships back in my youth because I was either too embarrassed or too prideful, or too much of both, to just simply be honest.  And now, looking back, I realize it would've been so much better if I'd faced the truth head on.  I kind of see Qi Lu and Chu Xia in a similar place right now.  If they were 10 years older, maybe they'd have the maturity to know they should just speak openly about what's in their hearts.  But right now, it's all teenage angst.

And I do get that both of them are grappling with their own issues, and that each of them have their crosses to bear.  I just wish for some progress. Any!  I'll accept peanuts at this point.  :tongue:

I also don't even think it's a case of the drama being written badly.  I think it's being done intentionally because as much as we complain, it's what also hooks our interest and keeps us coming back.  I mean, I'll be the first to admit: I'm a masochist.  As much as I complain, I also know there's a part of me that thrives on this sweet torture.  I think it's because I know that when I torture myself this way, the rewards of the ending are going to be that much greater.  (Although, that's not to say I don't love me some non-angstful, light and fluffy dramas!!!!) 

The drama really does pack in a lot of in these short episodes.  I'm kind of impressed actually.

On 3/31/2017 at 2:28 PM, themarchioness said:

I also don't even think it's a case of the drama being written badly.  I think it's being done intentionally because as much as we complain, it's what also hooks our interest and keeps us coming back.  I mean, I'll be the first to admit: I'm a masochist.  As much as I complain, I also know there's a part of me that thrives on this sweet torture.  I think it's because I know that when I torture myself this way, the rewards of the ending are going to be that much greater.  (Although, that's not to say I don't love me some non-angstful, light and fluffy dramas!!!!) 

The drama really does pack in a lot of in these short episodes.  I'm kind of impressed actually.

I like the show whatever its perceived flaws might be. I just think that they pack too much into each episode that it loses some of its emotional quality. Take for example the hug scene from that last episode. It happened quickly and then it faded out equally quickly when really it should have been milked for whatever it was worth considering how sparingly these sorts of scenes come into play for this drama. It wasn't just a lovey-dovey scene... it was about one of those rare moments of raw honesty, deep trust, genuine care and spontaneous intimacy that brought out what was hidden in the hearts of the OTP. Fan servicing aside, it was a moment of significant character development and relationship development.

And then CC comes by, sees them together and disappears. When the camera should have lingered on his face as he resigns himself to the reality before him.

I think there was a missed opportunity there.

I'm rethinking my views on MK. I suspect that all she's trying to do is salvage the past. Most likely the happiest moments in her life. Regret is in all probability a major part of it. She doesn't want QL's pity so she doesn't want him to know about her injuries. It could be that she just wants him to love her like he used to. But of course, he's moved on and found solace in someone else. Unfortunately for her he's no longer the boy who threw himself at her feet. He's matured in that regard as well.

I imagine we're supposed to feel a little sorry for what she's been through but the truth is while we may do so with regards to her injuries, she can't undo what's been done. The moment she took herself out of the equation, QL's path changed. Maybe it would have anyway because of their age and immaturity. It's all moot.

Master Devil, Season 2

Episode 18 Recap

Spoiler

Qi Lu and run into each other in the hallway at school.  He asks her what happened the night before and she asks if Chu Xia didn’t say anything to him.  He asks, “What would she say?” and Man Kuai says, “Nothing.  You drank a lot last night and kept insisting on going to my house.  You didn’t want to go home.  We’d only just arrived at my place when Chu Xia and Chen Chuan showed up; they insisted on taking you home.  I think they must have misunderstood something.”  Qi Lu rolls his eyes, hearing her explanation, and tells her not to worry because he’ll explain things to Chu Xia. 

Qi Lu’s phone rings at that moment.  He listens to the other side and tells them he understands before hanging up.   Man Kuai asks him what’s going on and if everything’s okay.  He tells her that the design plan his company had made was rejected by the customer they’d reached out to, and that if this design plan doesn’t work, then his family’s company really will be ruined.  Man Kuai is surprised to hear that things are that serious and asks if there’s anything she can help with.  A sudden thought occurs to Qi Lu as he says, “That’s right.  You’re a design genius.  How could I forget about you?”

Xiao Nan and Chu Xia are at lunch, but Xiao Nan’s the only one eating since Chu Xia is spaced out.  As Xiao Nan exclaims over how tasty everything is, Chu Xia asks if she’s going to be able to finish everything if she eats that much.  Xiao Nan says of course since it wasn’t that easy to find someone who’d treat her so she has to make the most of it.  Chu Xia looks around and asks where Chen Chuan is, but Xiao Nan just shakes her head and says she doesn’t care.  All she cares is that his meal card is present.  Chu Xia tells her she’s far too practical and shakes her head.  Xiao Nan doesn’t care though, she just keeps eating.  Chu Xia says she suddenly thought of a problem and Xiao Nan asks her what it is.  Chu Xia says, “Unless something unexpected happens, Xiang Man Kuai’s going to go to Qi Lu’s house tonight to make him diner.”  Xiao Nan thinks for a second before telling her, “So you’re going to have to be third wheel again.”  Chu Xia just pouts as she thinks to herself, “I can’t let them have their way.” 

It’s nighttime and Chu Xia finds herself once again sitting across from Qi Lu and Man Kuai as they eat at their usual outdoors dinner place.  Man Kuai tells Chu Xia that her memory’s really good given that she remembered she and Qi Lu love this place’s hot and sour powder.  Chu Xia fake smiles in response while Qi Lu says, “You were the one who insisted on eating out tonight, but now you’re not eating.  Is it because you’re still stuck on what happened yesterday?”  Chu Xia just gives him that look that she normally gives him when she doesn’t quite know what to say, and Man Kuai says, “I already told Qi Lu.  Yesterday really was just a misunderstanding.  It’s because he drank too much and was insisting on going home with me.”  Qi Lu says that’s right and points out that yesterday they fought, so he didn’t want to go home.  Chu Xia says, “Ohh, so that’s how it was.  I understand now.”  Her flippant response irritates Qi Lu who asks her what she understands.  “I understand what I’m supposed to understand,” she tells him.  [These two… always spoiling for a fight.  Sigh.]

Man Kuai interrupts them to remind Qi Lu to send her a copy of the design plan that was rejected.  She says she’ll take a look at it to figure out how they should modify it.  Qi Lu responds by complimenting her for being the clear-headed one [while obviously making a dig at Chu Xia without saying so].  Chu Xia asks them what they’re talking about and Qi Lu tells her that even if he told her, she wouldn’t understand.  Then he tells her to look at it for herself, and hands over his phone for her to read.

It’s the next day and Qi Lu and Chu Xia are in the car on their way to school.  Chu Xia asks about the design plan and when the other side wants it.  Qi Lu tells her in about three days, and then tells her not to worry because he has no doubt Xiao Kuai will help him find a solution.  Chu Xia asks him whether, in his heart, there’s only Xiang Man Kuai who can help him solve this problem.  Qi Lu says yes because Xiao Kuai is a design genius and previously . . . that’s when Chu Xia cuts him off by asking the driver to stop the car.  He asks her what she said and she repeats, “Stop th car.”  The car stops and she gets her things together.  Qi Lu holds her back to ask her what she’s doing and she tells him she wants to walk by herself and get some air.  Qi Lu lets go of her arm but tells her it’s enough.  He tells her that he’s put up with her for a long time now, and she says, “You’ve put up with me?”  As she scoffs, he says yes, and points out how she often gets mad and how it’s difficult to predict when she’ll get mad.  It’s like she has an intermittent mental problem, he tells her, and it’s to the point where she’d make even normal people crazy.  This is particularly true for someone like him who’s currently in a special situation.  He asks her if she can be a little bit more understanding.  Chu Xia asks him, “Understanding?  Xiao Kuan’s understanding.  She’s not only understanding, she can even help you with the design plan.  I can’t compare against her.”  Qi Lu asks her what kind of an attitude she’s having, but by this point, Chu Xia’s already half way out the car.  And then by the time he tells her to come back, she’s already gone.

Qi Lu and Man Kuai are sitting together in front of a laptop.  They’re working on the design plan, as he asks her if they can adjust the color in this one part.  Man Kuai tells him that she thinks the green color looks really good.  As they continue discussing the best color to use and other parts of the design image, we see a cell phone taking a picture of them in the distance. 

Chu Xia and Xiao Nan are walking into their classroom when Chu Xia gets a text.  It’s from Xin Wei and it’s the picture she just took of Qi Lu and Man Kuai together. 

Chen Chuan and Feng Shao are back together, but at least time they’re not hanging out in the sports equipment room, but outside on a bench.  Chen Chuan is plucking petals from a red rose to figure out whether he should give up or not give up.  Feng Shao just asks all the students walking past them what they’re looking at and what they’re laughing at.  When there’s a lull in the foot traffic, Feng Shao asks Chen Chuan if he can stop leaning against his shoulder.  Chen Chuan just keeps tearing off the petals as he looks up at him and says, “Don’t give up.  Give up.  Don’t give up.”  Feng Shao says that in his opinion, he should just give up since it’s not like he can win Chu Xia over.  Chen Chuan tells him that he’s not thinking about the matter of whether he can win over Chu Xia or not.  Feng Shao asks him what he’s thinking about then, and Chen Chuan tells him that right now he’s trying to figure out if he should give up being the successor to Jiang Shi Ji Tuan (his family’s company).  Then he says he’s made his decision, which is that he has to help Chu Xia help her realize her dream.  Once she’s won the competition to go to France, he’ll give up his rights to the successor position and fly to France to be with her.  During the day, he’ll sell songs (i.e., sing for money), and at night, he’ll sell . . . Feng Shao interrupts him with a, “Huh?” type of sound, clearly telling him to watch what he says, so Chen Chuan ends up saying he’ll also sell songs.  Feng Shao clearly thinks Chen Chuan is nuts as he asks whether he should be stopping him, and Chen Chuan says that once again Feng Shao’s poured cold water over his plans. 

Chu Xia and Xiao Nan walk past right at that moment but Chu Xia doesn’t notice because she’s focused on doing something with her phone.  When Feng Shao asks Xiao Nan what she’s doing, she sits down in between the guys and says, “If it isn’t that Han Qi Lu again.”  She explains that he has to make some sort of a design plan for a drink bottle or something like that, and apparently once the design’s done then the Han family will be able to get over their rough spot, so Chu Xia’s been working on it on her phone since that morning.  Xiao Nan comments that it’s like she’s become obsessed with it.  The guys ask her how come and she lowers her voice to tell them that Man Kuai is also helping Qi Lu with the design plan so right now, Chu Xia is in a PK with Man Kuai.  [PK = player kill, a gaming term.]  Chu Xia reacts at that and asks who’s in a PK with Man Kuai.  She tells them that she’s doing all this to help herself because if the Han family goes broke, then wouldn’t her mother’s organ donation be entirely in vain?  Feng Shao pipes up at this point to observe that Man Kuai’s a design genius who previously won a big competition.  He doesn’t ask Chu Xia if she’s up to going against her, but he says her name and leaves the question hanging out there.  That’s when Chen Chuan stands up excitedly as he says, “I’ve got it,” and then tells them he’s leaving first.  The others just watch him run away with confusion etched on their faces.  Chu Xia asks what’s up with him and Feng Shao says that Chen Chuan recently received some shocking news so just let him be.

It’s night time again and Qi Lu meets up with Han Yu for dinner (at the one outside eatery that everyone seems to go to).  Han Yu asks what’s going on with Qi Lu and whether there’s been any progress with the design plan.  Qi Lu tells him that right now Man Kuai’s helping him with hit.  This surprises Han Yu to hear and after a pause, he says, “Speaking honestly, who do you really like?  Chu Xia or Man Kuai?”  Instead of answering, Qi Lu drinks his beer.

Meanwhile, elsewhere, Chen Chuan is frantically looking through somebody’s home office.  He’s going through desks, drawers, folders, binders, looking for something.  He finally finds an manila envelope and it must be the one he’s looking for as he says, “Jiang Shi Ji Tuan.”

Chu Xia, on the other hand, is back in Cat Ear Alley where she’s playing with one of the stray cats.  She looks up at the chalk board and reads again the messages that she now knows were left there by Qi Lu.  She asks in her head, “Qi Lu, is the person you really like in your heart me?”  Her phone rings and it’s Chen Chuan who tells her that he’s found the design material.  Chu Xia’s surprised to hear this and he says she must’ve forgotten but his family’s company also does design work and right now he’s in their library.  Chu Xia says, “Really?” in a happy voice.  He asks her where she is so he can bring the materials over to her.  Chu Xia agrees and thanks him for his help.  He tells her to wait for him because he’ll be right over.

Qi Lu and Han Yu are still drinking and the latter is looking particularly drunk as Qi Lu puts another bottle down in front of him and says, “Come on, keep drinking.”  But Qi Lu’s not doing any better himself as they barely clink their drinks before throwing back more.  Qi Lu starts to tell Han Yu about how lately, there’s been too many things that have happened.  He starts to say something to Han Yu, but when he looks over, Han Yu’s passed out.  So Qi Lu just drinks more on his own while calling Han Yu useless for being so drunk.

Back at home, in her room, Chu Xia is working on her design plan.  When she finishes, she holds it up and does a little cheer for herself.  Qi Lu walks in suddenly at this moment.  She tells him that he just scared the wits out of her, but he just continues walking towards her and grabs her by the hand.  As he struggles to keep his footing, she tells him again that he scared her and then she sniffs at him, asks if he drank.  Qi Lu responds by gathering her up close and says, “An Chu Xia, I like you.  In the future, no matter how horrible the things I say sound, how offensive the things I do are, or how terrible my attitude is, I ask you not to abandon me and let me walk alone.” 

“Are you surrendering to me right now?”

Qi Lu drops his head down in a drunken yes.  “From this moment onward, I am yours.”  And then they kiss.

The next morning, both Chu Xia and Qi Lu are lying on top of her bed.  Qi Lu wakes up first and sees Chu Xia next to him.  He thinks he must be dreaming and she rolls over, right into his embrace.  That’s when Chu Xia wakes up and sees Qi Lu right in front of her face.  She sits up in alarm and starts checking to see whether she’s completely clothed.  She sighs with relief to find that she is and starts jabbing at Qi Lu’s leg to get him to wake up.  “Han Qi Lu, it’s time to get up.”  He opens his eyes again but he’s still kind of confused, so he reaches out and pinches Chu Xia’s arm, causing her to cry out.  That’s when he sits up, realizing it’s not a dream, and starts touching himself to make sure he too is clothed.  He looks at her and says, “An Chu Xia, last night . . .”

“Nothing happened.”

He checks his pants.  “There’s no way.” 

And then they both scream.

Qi Lu and Chu Xia are walking the hallways of their school together and Qi Lu is humming to himself.  Chu Xia turns to him and says, “Han Qi Lu, absolutely nothing happened last night.”

“Ai-ya, I know you girls are shy when it comes to these sorts of things, but don’t worry.  I definitely won’t say anything to anyone.”

Chu Xia grabs him and turns him so he’s facing her.  He asks her what she’s doing. 

“I just wanted to tell you, nothing happened last night.”

“But yesterday we kissed, didn’t we?”  He walks forward and puts one hand up against the wall, trapping her against it.  “If you know anything more, then you should tell me.” 

“Han Qi Lu!”  And then Chu Xia runs away.

Qi Lu calls her a weakling behind her back and Man Kuai arrives at that moment, and calls out to him.

Chu Xia enters her classroom where Chen Chuan greets her by asking her if she finished editing the design plan.  She tells him she did and thanks him again for his help, promising to treat him to a big meal one day.  Chen Chuan agrees but then she tells him that it has to be within fifty dollars.  Chen Chuan tells her it’s not a problem; she can issue the invitation, but he’ll pay for it.  Chu Xia punches him on the arm and tells him that she likes this kind of a friend.  As Chu Xia takes her seat next to Xiao Nan, who says she heard everything and reminds them that when it comes to eating, they can’t leave her out.  Chen Chuan tells her that’s not a problem.

You Tian Teacher arrives and says he has something important to tell the classroom, especially for those students who are participating in the fashion design contest.  He tells them to pay attention and announces that every contestant has to bring a male model for the next round as both the designer and the model will have to walk the runway to showcase their outfit.  For this reason, the relationship between the designer and the model should be really good.  He reminds them that there are only a few days left until the competition so they should prepare well.

Man Kuai and Qi Lu are sitting at the café together.  He’s holding her wrist in his hand and he looks upset.  He apologizes to her and says it’s all his fault for wanting her to help him with the design plan that she cut open her hand.  Man Kuai tells him it’s no big deal and that she’s the one who feels apologetic.  Originally, she wanted carve something on the drink bottle so that it would look more creative.  “Who knew . . . “ she says, and apologizes again, telling him that it doesn’t look like she’ll be able to help him this time.  Qi Lu tells her that it’s okay.  He tells her that Chu Xia also helped him design a plan, so now he’ll just have to use hers.  This news comes as a surprise to Man Kuai and she can’t quite hide her irritation [at least not from the viewers] as she asks him, “What?  Chu Xia also helped you design something?”

“Yeah, I don’t know where she found the Sunflower Collection, but I’ve seen it and the design’s actually pretty good.”  [I googled; apparently, Sunflower Collection is a martial arts novel.  Maybe she’s drawing inspiration from it in her design?  I confess I didn’t quite understand that part.] 

“Oh.”

Chu Xia and Xiao Nan are in a gymnasium checking out a lineup of men.  Included are Feng Shao and Chen Chuan.  Chu Xia thanks them for their support in this matter even as she tells them that she’s surprised so many of them turned up.  She tells them that she’s sure everyone understands the requirements for the next competition and lets’ them know that the most important thing they’ll be looking for when they pick a model is that he has to have a good build [this makes all the men stand up a little straighter and taller].  She also tells them that it’s not enough to determine whether someone has a good build by looking, they’ll have to touch too.  For that, she’s sending out the expert on men, Meng Xiao Nan, to do a personal inspection. 

Xiao Nan gets straight to it and starts to check out each one of their chests.  One by one, she sends away the hopeful volunteers until finally only Feng Shao and Chen Chuan are left.  Just as she reaches Feng Shao, he tells her to stop as there’s no need to touch.  He lifts his shirt instead and Xiao Nan tells him to get out of the way.  Chen Chuan, on the other hand, starts yanking off his tie and tells her to touch it.  She does and finally smiles, commenting on everything she likes about what she’s touching.  Then she tries to lift his shirt and when he asks her what she’s doing, she says she wanted to see if it was fake.  Chu Xia laughs as Chen Chuan retorts that Xiao Nan’s the fake one.  Xiao Nan then turns to Chu Xia and, pointing to Chen Chuan, says that he’s all she has.  She suggests that Chu Xia work with him. 

Right at that moment, however, we hear a voice in the distance.  “Who said there was nobody else?”

Tagging: @updatingsjpoll, who specifically asked after recaps for Ep 18 & 19.  Here's 18 and now off to work on 19!

Wowww this thread has moved a lot since the last time i checked. Which was when there was only one post. Lololol. I'm really enjoying this show and i'm happy to see that its gaining a lot more attention now. I'm a sucker for school dramas with alpha male leads aka BOFesque, so no wonder i'm lurrrving this show. There is something about cold arrogant men softening up because of a girl. 

But that saying, I'M frustrated with all the constant push and pull between them as everyone here. Chu Xia cant be any more dumber. How can she not see through the Mulberry girl (MK)?? Its kinda obvious. i mean MK is putting up a great act but if XN can see through her then so can CX. Or is it like CX does know her true intentions (even when she is sober) but still doesnt want to interfere and understands that mulberry is doing this all for love, like the Mother Teresa she is. 

And QL is not any better. I just want someone to slap him hard so that he can get himself together. He clearly is aware that mulberry is trying to get back together with him. And he does feel uncomfortable about it BUT doesnt do anything to clear things up but just plays along with it. Wth QL? I get that he is feeling guilty now because of her health condition and all. But cant he see CX is hurting because of his overt attention to Mulberry?? Gahhhhh i am so frustrated with these two but nevertheless i love them and want them to officially get together already. 

P.s. Mulberry is how google translated MK as. A friend of mine read the whole book with the help of google translate before this show started getting subbed and told me about it. And now eventhough we know her real name, we have decided that she doesnt deserve a real name and she will be a certain mulberry forever  :lol:

13 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Master Devil, Season 2

Episode 18 Recap

Reveal hidden contents

Qi Lu and run into each other in the hallway at school.  He asks her what happened the night before and she asks if Chu Xia didn’t say anything to him.  He asks, “What would she say?” and Man Kuai says, “Nothing.  You drank a lot last night and kept insisting on going to my house.  You didn’t want to go home.  We’d only just arrived at my place when Chu Xia and Chen Chuan showed up; they insisted on taking you home.  I think they must have misunderstood something.”  Qi Lu rolls his eyes, hearing her explanation, and tells her not to worry because he’ll explain things to Chu Xia. 

Qi Lu’s phone rings at that moment.  He listens to the other side and tells them he understands before hanging up.   Man Kuai asks him what’s going on and if everything’s okay.  He tells her that the design plan his company had made was rejected by the customer they’d reached out to, and that if this design plan doesn’t work, then his family’s company really will be ruined.  Man Kuai is surprised to hear that things are that serious and asks if there’s anything she can help with.  A sudden thought occurs to Qi Lu as he says, “That’s right.  You’re a design genius.  How could I forget about you?”

Xiao Nan and Chu Xia are at lunch, but Xiao Nan’s the only one eating since Chu Xia is spaced out.  As Xiao Nan exclaims over how tasty everything is, Chu Xia asks if she’s going to be able to finish everything if she eats that much.  Xiao Nan says of course since it wasn’t that easy to find someone who’d treat her so she has to make the most of it.  Chu Xia looks around and asks where Chen Chuan is, but Xiao Nan just shakes her head and says she doesn’t care.  All she cares is that his meal card is present.  Chu Xia tells her she’s far too practical and shakes her head.  Xiao Nan doesn’t care though, she just keeps eating.  Chu Xia says she suddenly thought of a problem and Xiao Nan asks her what it is.  Chu Xia says, “Unless something unexpected happens, Xiang Man Kuai’s going to go to Qi Lu’s house tonight to make him diner.”  Xiao Nan thinks for a second before telling her, “So you’re going to have to be third wheel again.”  Chu Xia just pouts as she thinks to herself, “I can’t let them have their way.” 

It’s nighttime and Chu Xia finds herself once again sitting across from Qi Lu and Man Kuai as they eat at their usual outdoors dinner place.  Man Kuai tells Chu Xia that her memory’s really good given that she remembered she and Qi Lu love this place’s hot and sour powder.  Chu Xia fake smiles in response while Qi Lu says, “You were the one who insisted on eating out tonight, but now you’re not eating.  Is it because you’re still stuck on what happened yesterday?”  Chu Xia just gives him that look that she normally gives him when she doesn’t quite know what to say, and Man Kuai says, “I already told Qi Lu.  Yesterday really was just a misunderstanding.  It’s because he drank too much and was insisting on going home with me.”  Qi Lu says that’s right and points out that yesterday they fought, so he didn’t want to go home.  Chu Xia says, “Ohh, so that’s how it was.  I understand now.”  Her flippant response irritates Qi Lu who asks her what she understands.  “I understand what I’m supposed to understand,” she tells him.  [These two… always spoiling for a fight.  Sigh.]

Man Kuai interrupts them to remind Qi Lu to send her a copy of the design plan that was rejected.  She says she’ll take a look at it to figure out how they should modify it.  Qi Lu responds by complimenting her for being the clear-headed one [while obviously making a dig at Chu Xia without saying so].  Chu Xia asks them what they’re talking about and Qi Lu tells her that even if he told her, she wouldn’t understand.  Then he tells her to look at it for herself, and hands over his phone for her to read.

It’s the next day and Qi Lu and Chu Xia are in the car on their way to school.  Chu Xia asks about the design plan and when the other side wants it.  Qi Lu tells her in about three days, and then tells her not to worry because he has no doubt Xiao Kuai will help him find a solution.  Chu Xia asks him whether, in his heart, there’s only Xiang Man Kuai who can help him solve this problem.  Qi Lu says yes because Xiao Kuai is a design genius and previously . . . that’s when Chu Xia cuts him off by asking the driver to stop the car.  He asks her what she said and she repeats, “Stop th car.”  The car stops and she gets her things together.  Qi Lu holds her back to ask her what she’s doing and she tells him she wants to walk by herself and get some air.  Qi Lu lets go of her arm but tells her it’s enough.  He tells her that he’s put up with her for a long time now, and she says, “You’ve put up with me?”  As she scoffs, he says yes, and points out how she often gets mad and how it’s difficult to predict when she’ll get mad.  It’s like she has an intermittent mental problem, he tells her, and it’s to the point where she’d make even normal people crazy.  This is particularly true for someone like him who’s currently in a special situation.  He asks her if she can be a little bit more understanding.  Chu Xia asks him, “Understanding?  Xiao Kuan’s understanding.  She’s not only understanding, she can even help you with the design plan.  I can’t compare against her.”  Qi Lu asks her what kind of an attitude she’s having, but by this point, Chu Xia’s already half way out the car.  And then by the time he tells her to come back, she’s already gone.

Qi Lu and Man Kuai are sitting together in front of a laptop.  They’re working on the design plan, as he asks her if they can adjust the color in this one part.  Man Kuai tells him that she thinks the green color looks really good.  As they continue discussing the best color to use and other parts of the design image, we see a cell phone taking a picture of them in the distance. 

Chu Xia and Xiao Nan are walking into their classroom when Chu Xia gets a text.  It’s from Xin Wei and it’s the picture she just took of Qi Lu and Man Kuai together. 

Chen Chuan and Feng Shao are back together, but at least time they’re not hanging out in the sports equipment room, but outside on a bench.  Chen Chuan is plucking petals from a red rose to figure out whether he should give up or not give up.  Feng Shao just asks all the students walking past them what they’re looking at and what they’re laughing at.  When there’s a lull in the foot traffic, Feng Shao asks Chen Chuan if he can stop leaning against his shoulder.  Chen Chuan just keeps tearing off the petals as he looks up at him and says, “Don’t give up.  Give up.  Don’t give up.”  Feng Shao says that in his opinion, he should just give up since it’s not like he can win Chu Xia over.  Chen Chuan tells him that he’s not thinking about the matter of whether he can win over Chu Xia or not.  Feng Shao asks him what he’s thinking about then, and Chen Chuan tells him that right now he’s trying to figure out if he should give up being the successor to Jiang Shi Ji Tuan (his family’s company).  Then he says he’s made his decision, which is that he has to help Chu Xia help her realize her dream.  Once she’s won the competition to go to France, he’ll give up his rights to the successor position and fly to France to be with her.  During the day, he’ll sell songs (i.e., sing for money), and at night, he’ll sell . . . Feng Shao interrupts him with a, “Huh?” type of sound, clearly telling him to watch what he says, so Chen Chuan ends up saying he’ll also sell songs.  Feng Shao clearly thinks Chen Chuan is nuts as he asks whether he should be stopping him, and Chen Chuan says that once again Feng Shao’s poured cold water over his plans. 

Chu Xia and Xiao Nan walk past right at that moment but Chu Xia doesn’t notice because she’s focused on doing something with her phone.  When Feng Shao asks Xiao Nan what she’s doing, she sits down in between the guys and says, “If it isn’t that Han Qi Lu again.”  She explains that he has to make some sort of a design plan for a drink bottle or something like that, and apparently once the design’s done then the Han family will be able to get over their rough spot, so Chu Xia’s been working on it on her phone since that morning.  Xiao Nan comments that it’s like she’s become obsessed with it.  The guys ask her how come and she lowers her voice to tell them that Man Kuai is also helping Qi Lu with the design plan so right now, Chu Xia is in a PK with Man Kuai.  [PK = player kill, a gaming term.]  Chu Xia reacts at that and asks who’s in a PK with Man Kuai.  She tells them that she’s doing all this to help herself because if the Han family goes broke, then wouldn’t her mother’s organ donation be entirely in vain?  Feng Shao pipes up at this point to observe that Man Kuai’s a design genius who previously won a big competition.  He doesn’t ask Chu Xia if she’s up to going against her, but he says her name and leaves the question hanging out there.  That’s when Chen Chuan stands up excitedly as he says, “I’ve got it,” and then tells them he’s leaving first.  The others just watch him run away with confusion etched on their faces.  Chu Xia asks what’s up with him and Feng Shao says that Chen Chuan recently received some shocking news so just let him be.

It’s night time again and Qi Lu meets up with Han Yu for dinner (at the one outside eatery that everyone seems to go to).  Han Yu asks what’s going on with Qi Lu and whether there’s been any progress with the design plan.  Qi Lu tells him that right now Man Kuai’s helping him with hit.  This surprises Han Yu to hear and after a pause, he says, “Speaking honestly, who do you really like?  Chu Xia or Man Kuai?”  Instead of answering, Qi Lu drinks his beer.

Meanwhile, elsewhere, Chen Chuan is frantically looking through somebody’s home office.  He’s going through desks, drawers, folders, binders, looking for something.  He finally finds an manila envelope and it must be the one he’s looking for as he says, “Jiang Shi Ji Tuan.”

Chu Xia, on the other hand, is back in Cat Ear Alley where she’s playing with one of the stray cats.  She looks up at the chalk board and reads again the messages that she now knows were left there by Qi Lu.  She asks in her head, “Qi Lu, is the person you really like in your heart me?”  Her phone rings and it’s Chen Chuan who tells her that he’s found the design material.  Chu Xia’s surprised to hear this and he says she must’ve forgotten but his family’s company also does design work and right now he’s in their library.  Chu Xia says, “Really?” in a happy voice.  He asks her where she is so he can bring the materials over to her.  Chu Xia agrees and thanks him for his help.  He tells her to wait for him because he’ll be right over.

Qi Lu and Han Yu are still drinking and the latter is looking particularly drunk as Qi Lu puts another bottle down in front of him and says, “Come on, keep drinking.”  But Qi Lu’s not doing any better himself as they barely clink their drinks before throwing back more.  Qi Lu starts to tell Han Yu about how lately, there’s been too many things that have happened.  He starts to say something to Han Yu, but when he looks over, Han Yu’s passed out.  So Qi Lu just drinks more on his own while calling Han Yu useless for being so drunk.

Back at home, in her room, Chu Xia is working on her design plan.  When she finishes, she holds it up and does a little cheer for herself.  Qi Lu walks in suddenly at this moment.  She tells him that he just scared the wits out of her, but he just continues walking towards her and grabs her by the hand.  As he struggles to keep his footing, she tells him again that he scared her and then she sniffs at him, asks if he drank.  Qi Lu responds by gathering her up close and says, “An Chu Xia, I like you.  In the future, no matter how horrible the things I say sound, how offensive the things I do are, or how terrible my attitude is, I ask you not to abandon me and let me walk alone.” 

“Are you surrendering to me right now?”

Qi Lu drops his head down in a drunken yes.  “From this moment onward, I am yours.”  And then they kiss.

The next morning, both Chu Xia and Qi Lu are lying on top of her bed.  Qi Lu wakes up first and sees Chu Xia next to him.  He thinks he must be dreaming and she rolls over, right into his embrace.  That’s when Chu Xia wakes up and sees Qi Lu right in front of her face.  She sits up in alarm and starts checking to see whether she’s completely clothed.  She sighs with relief to find that she is and starts jabbing at Qi Lu’s leg to get him to wake up.  “Han Qi Lu, it’s time to get up.”  He opens his eyes again but he’s still kind of confused, so he reaches out and pinches Chu Xia’s arm, causing her to cry out.  That’s when he sits up, realizing it’s not a dream, and starts touching himself to make sure he too is clothed.  He looks at her and says, “An Chu Xia, last night . . .”

“Nothing happened.”

He checks his pants.  “There’s no way.” 

And then they both scream.

Qi Lu and Chu Xia are walking the hallways of their school together and Qi Lu is humming to himself.  Chu Xia turns to him and says, “Han Qi Lu, absolutely nothing happened last night.”

“Ai-ya, I know you girls are shy when it comes to these sorts of things, but don’t worry.  I definitely won’t say anything to anyone.”

Chu Xia grabs him and turns him so he’s facing her.  He asks her what she’s doing. 

“I just wanted to tell you, nothing happened last night.”

“But yesterday we kissed, didn’t we?”  He walks forward and puts one hand up against the wall, trapping her against it.  “If you know anything more, then you should tell me.” 

“Han Qi Lu!”  And then Chu Xia runs away.

Qi Lu calls her a weakling behind her back and Man Kuai arrives at that moment, and calls out to him.

Chu Xia enters her classroom where Chen Chuan greets her by asking her if she finished editing the design plan.  She tells him she did and thanks him again for his help, promising to treat him to a big meal one day.  Chen Chuan agrees but then she tells him that it has to be within fifty dollars.  Chen Chuan tells her it’s not a problem; she can issue the invitation, but he’ll pay for it.  Chu Xia punches him on the arm and tells him that she likes this kind of a friend.  As Chu Xia takes her seat next to Xiao Nan, who says she heard everything and reminds them that when it comes to eating, they can’t leave her out.  Chen Chuan tells her that’s not a problem.

You Tian Teacher arrives and says he has something important to tell the classroom, especially for those students who are participating in the fashion design contest.  He tells them to pay attention and announces that every contestant has to bring a male model for the next round as both the designer and the model will have to walk the runway to showcase their outfit.  For this reason, the relationship between the designer and the model should be really good.  He reminds them that there are only a few days left until the competition so they should prepare well.

Man Kuai and Qi Lu are sitting at the café together.  He’s holding her wrist in his hand and he looks upset.  He apologizes to her and says it’s all his fault for wanting her to help him with the design plan that she cut open her hand.  Man Kuai tells him it’s no big deal and that she’s the one who feels apologetic.  Originally, she wanted carve something on the drink bottle so that it would look more creative.  “Who knew . . . “ she says, and apologizes again, telling him that it doesn’t look like she’ll be able to help him this time.  Qi Lu tells her that it’s okay.  He tells her that Chu Xia also helped him design a plan, so now he’ll just have to use hers.  This news comes as a surprise to Man Kuai and she can’t quite hide her irritation [at least not from the viewers] as she asks him, “What?  Chu Xia also helped you design something?”

“Yeah, I don’t know where she found the Sunflower Collection, but I’ve seen it and the design’s actually pretty good.”  [I googled; apparently, Sunflower Collection is a martial arts novel.  Maybe she’s drawing inspiration from it in her design?  I confess I didn’t quite understand that part.] 

“Oh.”

Chu Xia and Xiao Nan are in a gymnasium checking out a lineup of men.  Included are Feng Shao and Chen Chuan.  Chu Xia thanks them for their support in this matter even as she tells them that she’s surprised so many of them turned up.  She tells them that she’s sure everyone understands the requirements for the next competition and lets’ them know that the most important thing they’ll be looking for when they pick a model is that he has to have a good build [this makes all the men stand up a little straighter and taller].  She also tells them that it’s not enough to determine whether someone has a good build by looking, they’ll have to touch too.  For that, she’s sending out the expert on men, Meng Xiao Nan, to do a personal inspection. 

Xiao Nan gets straight to it and starts to check out each one of their chests.  One by one, she sends away the hopeful volunteers until finally only Feng Shao and Chen Chuan are left.  Just as she reaches Feng Shao, he tells her to stop as there’s no need to touch.  He lifts his shirt instead and Xiao Nan tells him to get out of the way.  Chen Chuan, on the other hand, starts yanking off his tie and tells her to touch it.  She does and finally smiles, commenting on everything she likes about what she’s touching.  Then she tries to lift his shirt and when he asks her what she’s doing, she says she wanted to see if it was fake.  Chu Xia laughs as Chen Chuan retorts that Xiao Nan’s the fake one.  Xiao Nan then turns to Chu Xia and, pointing to Chen Chuan, says that he’s all she has.  She suggests that Chu Xia work with him. 

Right at that moment, however, we hear a voice in the distance.  “Who said there was nobody else?”

Tagging: @updatingsjpoll, who specifically asked after recaps for Ep 18 & 19.  Here's 18 and now off to work on 19!

thanks for the recap.. 

This chinese drama is making me impatient hehehheheh..

4 hours ago, updatingsjpoll said:

thanks for the recap.. 

This chinese drama is making me impatient hehehheheh..

No problem.  And here's the one for episode 19!

Master Devil, Season 2

Episode 19 Recap

Spoiler

Xiao Nan points to Chen Chuan and says he’s all Chu Xia has and suggests she work with him.  Qi Lu arrives at that moment and asks, “Who said there was nobody else?”  They’re all surprised to see him there and Chen Chuan tries to send him away, but Qi Lu only reaches across Feng Shao to grab Chu Xia and pull her close.  He says, “An Chu Xia is my maid.  We already decided on this matter long ago.”  Chen Chuan takes exception to this but Feng Shao cuts him off saying that it’s enough and that everyone should stop fighting.  He suggests that Chu Xia be allowed to make her own decision.  Xiao Nan leans forward and tells her that she should think carefully before making her selection.  But Qi Lu just looks at the others and says, “Okay, the selection’s been made.  Let’s go.”  With his arm still around her shoulders, he leads her away.  Chen Chuan, on the other hand, is left asking the others, “Has the selection already been made?  Who did she pick?”  Xiao Nan calls him an idiot while he asks Feng Shao who she picked.

We next get a montage of Chu Xia and Qi Lu working together.  The images alternate between Chu Xia taking his measurements, Chu Xia following him around with an umbrella as he runs laps around a track field, Qi Lu pumping iron and doing push-ups, and Chu Xia giving him a facial. 

Chu Xia is washing dishes when Man Kuai joins her at the sink saying they would wash them together.  Chu Xia notices her mopping up the counter and her eyes latch on to Man Kuai’s wrist.  She asks her how she cut her wrist.  Man Kuai tells her that originally she thought to use a knife to carve something onto the bottle to make a special design, as she thought it would make it more meaningful, but she wasn’t careful and ended up cutting herself.  Chu Xia doesn’t say anything but continues to stare at the wrist.

It’s the day of the next round of the competition and the host of the show welcomes everyone to the performance from the remaining fifteen contestants.  Back stage, Chu Xia carries a pile of clothes over to Qi Lu who’s sitting in front of a mirror.  She takes the seat next to him and when he sees how down she looks, he asks her what’s wrong.  She tells him that she can’t help but feel like something bad is going to happen today.  Qi Lu asks her why she’s so nervous and reminds her that she has him.  He holds out his hand and tells her to give him her hand.  When she doesn’t respond, he tells her again to hurry up give it to him.  Then he just takes her hand in his anyway and says, “Now you won’t be nervous.” 

Xiao Nan runs over at that moment, calling out for Chu Xia, and Chen Chuan immediately rushes in from behind.  He separates their hands and asks them what they’re doing.  He says, “Han Qi Lu, let me tell you, you better not try and take advantage of Chu Xia.”  But Qi Lu just asks if he has the means to guard her.  Chen Chuan doesn’t answer and instead gives Chu Xia the large bouquet of flowers he prepared for her.  Qi Lu intercepts the bouquet and pretends they’re for him, asking Chen Chuan why he bothered to be so polite.  Much to Chen Chuan’s annoyance, he holds up a rose to smell it and says it smells quite nice.  Just as Chen Chuan grabs the bouquet back to give to Chu Xia, Qi Lu pulls out the rose he was smelling.  He then purposely provokes Chen Chuan by telling him that he likes the flowers he bought.  He asks if Chen Chuan’s going to hit him before walking off and Chen Chuan pretends like he’s about to barf.  Chu Xia just laughs at both their antics.  Chen Chuan gives her a lot of encouraging words and tells her that he believes in her before leaving.

The fashion show begins and Xin Wei leads us off.  She takes the stage with her model [who’s female; I thought they had to be male, but oh well].  Next up is Chu Xia who comes out with Qi Lu.  He’s all casual like, but she’s as stiff as a board.  They meet in the center and start to walk down the runway, but midway she loses her balance and starts to fall backwards.  Qi Lu catches her and manages to make it seem like it was all part of the act as he pulls out the rose from inside his breast pocket and starts to give it to her before biting the stem with his mouth.  He then walks the rest of the runway with one arm around her shoulder.  In the audience, Xiao Nan laughs while Chen Chuan seethes.  After the crowd applauses their performance, Qi Lu has to turn Chu Xia around to lead her off the stage since she’s still has a touch of strage fright.  Xiao Nan comments to Chen Chuan that seeing Qi Lu like this, he’s actually quite handsome.  Chen Chuan just looks really annoyed as he comments that he was the one who bought the flower. 

The host announces that the results are in, but there are two contestants who have both placed first with their scores.  That would be Mo Xin Wei and An Chu Xia.  The host explains that according to the contest rules, the judges will have to conduct a tie break.  The host asks which judges will vote for Xin Wei and two hold up their paddles.  The host next asks who’ll vote for judges and two others hold up their paddles.  The host then observes that Man Kuai didn’t vote for either one and asks who she’s going to vote for.  After a pause, she holds up the paddle for Chu Xia.  This means Chu Xia wins the second stage of the competition.  The crowd goes wild, especially Xiao Nan and Chen Chuan. 

Chu Xia and Qi Lu exit the auditorium along with a bunch of other students around them [and I can’t help but notice that she’s smiling at him] when reporters rush up to them each requesting an interview with Chu Xia.  Chu Xia and Qi Lu start backing up the stairs they just walked down as reporters hurl questions at them like, “Will you talk with us for a minute?”, “When did the two of you start dating?” and “What exactly is your relationship with each other?”  Chu Xia and Qi Lu just turn around at that and run away with Qi Lu holding onto her wrist.  The reporters run after them telling them not to run away.

Up on the usual rooftop, Xin Wei asks Man Kuai why she voted for Chu Xia.  Man Kuai asks Xin Wei why she’s so anxious.  Xin Wei points out that Chu Xia’s already won two rounds and asks how she can not be anxious.  She also asks Man Kuai to explain her behavior today.  Man Kuai scoffs and says, “We’ve been working together for such a long time now, how is it that your IQ still needs to be improved?”  Then she asks Xin Wei if she hasn’t heard the saying, “The higher you climb, the harder you fall,” and reminds Xin Wei that she wants to see Chu Xia make a fool out of herself more than her.  She asks her why she’s worrying.  Xin Wei responds that if that’s the case, then Man Kuai should hurry up and think about how she’s going to deal with Chu Xia and takes her leave.  After she leaves, Man Kuai smiles that nasty smile of hers and thinks, “An Chu Xia, I have to send you out of the country.  I really can’t let you stay by Qi Lu’s side anymore.”

Elsewhere in the city, a man is looking through a stack of pictures.  Among them is Chu Xia’s.  The camera pulls back and we see the man is Xin Wei’s father.  He looks at Chu Xia’s picture and reacts as if something’s just occurred to him.  He reaches for some sheets of paper; it’s her contest application form.  He says, “An Chu Xia.” 

Later that day, Chu Xia returns to her classroom in glory as all the students rush to congratulate her.  Even Man Kuai walks over to say congratulations.  Chu Xia thanks her for voting for her today, but Man Kuai brushes it aside saying that it was fame following merit [it’s an idiom].  A phone rings and Chen Chuan takes it out of his breast pocket before handing it to Chu Xia [he must have been carrying her phone for her during the competition].  She answers the phone and says, “Jiang Shi Ji Tuan?” 

That night, Chu Xia and Qi Lu are sitting companionably on the living room couch together, with him eating fruit and her eating some sort of dessert, when he responds to something she must have just told him, as he says, “Jiang Shi Ji Tuan wants to break rules and accept you as a designer?  That’s a good thing!” 

“Is it?”

“Yes, that way you won’t have to go abroad.  And you can in good conscience stay by my side as my maid.”

Chu Xia sits up from where she’d been leaning against the couch and says, “But you don’t think there’s something weird about this?”

“Hm?”

She leans back again.  “Mo Xin Wei and I are deadly enemies, why would her father try and sign me as a designer?  There’s got to be a conspiracy somewhere in all of this.” 

The scene cuts to Xin Wei’s father who’s on the phone.  He tells the other side that he understands and that they should act according to the directions he just gave.  Xin Wei arrives just as he hangs up the phone.  She asks him to help her blow off some steam, and though he’s a little distracted, he asks her what steam.  That’s when she tells him it’s that girl from her school, An Chu Xia, and asks him to kick her out of the competition.  She tells him that Chu Xia’s always stealing her thunder.  Her dad looks slightly uncomfortable and doesn’t really respond other than to repeat Chu Xia’s name and ask Xin Wei if she really finds her to be that annoying.

The scene returns to the Han household where Qi Lu says, “Becoming a designer without having to go abroad, that’s such a great choice.  Why insist on going to France?”

“To hide from you.”

“Oh.  Actually, you don’t have to hide.  Originally, the time we had to spend together wasn’t long anymore anyway.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“I . . . nothing.”

“Ai-ya, I was teasing you just now.  Don’t treat it as real.”  Qi Lu reacts with a half smile.  “But,” she tells him, “I won’t agree to go to Jiang Shi.”  Qi Lu just puts down his fruit plate in obvious disappointment.

The next day at school, after classes are over, Qi Lu, Chen Chuan, Chu Xia, and Xiao Nan are all walking together when Chen Chuan tells the girls (who are walking in front of them) to slow down and asks what the hurry is.  Then he says, “Uncle!” in a surprised voice.  Xiao Nan asks who he’s calling “uncle,” and he nods his head in a direction and says, “That’s my uncle’s car.  What’s he doing here?”  Xiao Nan guesses that he came to pick up his daughter, but when they get closer his uncle alights from the car.  His attention focused solely on Chu Xia, he asks her, “You must be An Chu Xia.”  She smiles and gives a slight bow.

It’s evening and the next scene shows everyone (Qi Lu, Chen Chuan, Chu Xia, and Xiao Nan) at a fancy restaurant with Xin Wei’s dad.  Xiao Nan exclaims at all the yummy-looking dishes in front of them.  Then she leans over to Chu Xia and says it looks like the Jiang Boss is determined to sign her.  Chen Chuan adds in his two cents, telling Chu Xia that his uncle is a really great person and nothing like his daughter, so she shouldn’t because of his daughter let go of this great opportunity.  His uncle says, “Chen Chuan, don’t make it seem like I’m trying to force her into this.”  Then he stands and holds up his glass of wine, and tells Chu Xia he wants to toast her.  Chu Xia stands up with her own wine glass and thanks him, calling him Jiang Boss.  Chen Chuan tells her not to call him Jiang Boss, but to call him uncle instead.  His uncle smiles in agreement and after they drink their toasts, Chu Xia says, “Thank you Uncle Jiang.”

Uncle Jiang tells Chu Xia to sit and they take their seats again.  Chu Xia then tells Uncle Jiang that she’s thought about it and she’s not ready to enter his company; she apologizes.  Uncle Jiang asks her why not and she explains that she wants to rely on her own abilities to become a known designer and doesn’t want to take short cuts.  Qi Lu listens to her without expression, while Uncle Jiang points out that even now she’s not taking short cuts and says that even during the last two rounds of the competition, she relied on her own abilities to come out on top.  That means in the design world, she’s become a little star.  Chen Chuan agrees with this assessment, and Uncle Jiang continues.  He tells her that the fact his company is hoping to secure a designer with her talents is a normal thing.  But Chu Xia tells him that she wants to take things step-by-step, as it feels steadier. 

Uncle Jiang sighs and says she’s got a temperament like her mother’s.  His comment surprises Chu Xia who asks if he knows her mother.  He tells her that originally, he wasn’t going to tell her about this until after the competition was over but now he feels like he can’t wait anymore.  Then he says that before he tells her what he wants to tell her, he has a story to share first.  The leading lady of the story is named An Shu Ya. 

The scene cuts back to Xin Wei at this moment and we see her at home, texting on her phone.  One of her father’s employees stops by the house at that moment, looking for her father.  She tells him he’s not home and the employee seems surprised to find her still awake.  He asks if her father hasn’t come home yet, and she asks him what he wants.  The employee’s acting kind of shifty as he tells her that it’s nothing except that her father wanted him to bring over the files that he’s carrying in his arm.  Xin Wei tells him to put it on the coffee table, so he does and takes his leave.

The scene returns to the restaurant where Xin Wei’s father is in the middle of his story.  He tells his audience that after they graduated, things got bad.  His family forced him to break up with Shu Ya in order to marry someone else, so Shu Ya left him.  A few years later, on a random occasion, they had a chance to run into each other.  That’s when he discovered that when they broke up, she was already pregnant with his child.  That’s when he made the decision to give up everything, get a divorce, and return to her side, but he never imagined that Shu Ya would take the child and leave the place she’d been renting.  She still wasn’t willing to forgive him.  Uncle Jiang takes off his glasses and covers his eyes; he looks distraught. 

Back at his house, Xin Wei is flipping through the manila envelopes that the secretary left behind.  Her curiosity gets the better of her and she opens one of them.  She sees that it’s the results from a DNA test.  And then she flips it open and cries, “An Chu Xia!”

At the restaurant, Chu Xia is sitting completely without expression now.  Chen Chuan asks, “Uncle, inside your story, Shu Ya’s daughter, you’re not talking about An Chu Xia, are you?”  He looks up from his hands and says, “It is her.”  Both Qi Lu and Chu Xia react to this news without words while Chen Chuan asks how Chu Xia could be his daughter.  His uncle tells him he’s not joking.  He calls out Chu Xia’s name, but Chu Xia cuts him off and says, “Uncle, I don’t really this story you just told us.  If there’s nothing else, then I’ll leave first.”  She stands up and Uncle Jiang does too, saying, “Chu Xia!  Forgive father, won’t you?”  But Chu Xia tells him that she doesn’t have a father then she runs out of the room.  Qi Lu says, “Chu Xia!” and runs after her.  Chen Chuan tells his uncle that his joke is too much before leaving the room as well. 

Outside in the restaurant hallway, Qi Lu catches up to Chu Xia.  She slows down and stops running and when he puts one hand on the back of her shoulder and starts to tell her, “It’s okay, you don’t…” she just whirls around and hugs him tightly.  Qi Lu returns the embrace, holding her closely, and tells her not to cry.  That’s the scene that Chen Chuan happens upon when he catches up to them. 

Back at the Jiang house, Xin Wei is having a fit as she throws a plastic lamp to the floor [hey, at least it’s not glass or ceramic!].  She looks in the mirror and says, “An Chu Xia, I won’t let you snatch away my things, whether it’s my family or my love.”

The next day at school, Xin Wei storms into Chu Xia’s classroom with Wan Zi following closely behind.  She says, “An Chu Xia!” and then slaps her.  Xiao Nan rushes over to comfort Chu Xia and Chen Chuan stands up to intercept Xin Wei from doing anything more.  He asks her what she wants to do and Xin Wei just says, “You’re still protecting her, huh?  You like her, do you?  But there’s one thing you still don’t know.  She’s your cousin!  She’s your Jiang Uncle’s biological daughter!”  Chu Xia stands up at that and tells Xin Wei to leave.  Chen Chuan runs off while Xin Wei asks her, “What, do you feel embarrassed now?  Why is that from the first moment I met you, I felt you were nauseating?  It turns out you were a bastard.”  Chu Xia slaps her for that one and Xin Wei responds, “You dare to hit me?”  As she steps forward to hit Chu Xia again, the rest of the classmates finally step in to put distance between them, telling them to not fight.  While everyone’s distracted, Wan Zi steals over to Chu Xia’s desk and takes a picture of the design she’d been sketching before Xin Wei walked in.

Elsewhere in the city, Uncle Jiang is at work when his secretary hands him a magazine.  He looks at the cover and we get a glimpse of it too.  On the top right corner, the name of the contest is pictured.  Then down the right side of the magazine, there are three pictures of Xin Wei and Chu Xia fighting in their classroom.  On the bottom are two pictures of Chu Xia and Qi Lu hugging.  Uncle Jiang throws down the magazine and takes off his glasses as he closes his eyes and rests his forehead on his fist.  His secretary tells him that maybe this isn’t such a bad thing since sooner or later, he’d have to make public Chu Xia’s real background. 

Back at school, Man Kuai’s walking in the hallway by herself when she’s approached by two reporters who ask if they can ask her some questions.  When she asks what they want, they ask her how come as a fashion design genius she hasn’t released any work.  Then they tell her that in this year’s competition there’s a new star, her name is An Chu Xia.  The reporters ask Man Kuai if she’s been affected by her appearance and in the background, we see Chu Xia approaching.  Man Kuai says I’m sorry and starts to push past them.  As her hand touches the reporter’s camera to move it aside, the wrist lingers there for just a second.  Then one of the reporters asks if it’s because her wrist that she was forced to withdraw from school.  He also asks if with her wrist she can continue to create work.  That’s when Chu Xia cuts in, taking Man Kuai by the arm, and says to the reporter, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, Miss Xiang’s hand injury is something that happened while she was cooking at my house.”  The reporters ask if they can answer a few more of their questions, but Chu Xia pushes Man Kuai into their classroom.

After classes are over, Chu Xia and Man Kuai are walking together when Man Kuai says, “So you already knew.  Thank you for earlier when you helped me deal with the reporters.”  Chu Xia just looks at her wrist and asks if her right wrist really can’t be treated.  Man Kuai tells her that she’s already given up hope on her hand.  Then she asks Chu Xia to not say anything to anyone else about her hand.  Chu Xia readily agrees and tells her not to worry because she promises to keep her secret.  Then Man Kuai adds that she also can’t tell Qi Lu.  Chu Xia responds, “Your temperament is stronger than mine.  You like enduring all the pain yourself, especially when it comes to not wanting to let the people who care about worry about you.”  Man Kuai just smiles at her answer and then says, “Chu Xia.  If there was no Qi Lu, we would probably be really good friends, don’t you think?”  Chu Xia agrees and says, “But it’s not too late now.”  Man Kuai just smiles before telling her that she’s leaving first.

After they part ways, Chu Xia starts to go her own way, but then her father approaches and says they should talk.  Chu Xia tells him they don’t have anything to talk about and turns to walk in the opposite direction.  He sighs and lets her walk for a little bit but then says, “But what if it has to do with Han Qi Lu?”  That stops Chu Xia in her steps.

Archived