[Movie 2018] Keys To The Heart, 그것만이 내 세상

rubie

March 20, 2018

[FILM REVIEW] Keys To The Heart (2018)

Source: The Seoul Story th_animated-notes.gif

If you’re looking for a film to satisfy your demand for warm fuzzy feelings, look no further. ‘Keys To The Heart’ is a heartwarming movie that will bring a smile to your face by the end of the film.

The movie revolves around two brothers Kim Jo Ha (Lee Byung Hun) and Oh Jin Tae (Park Jung Min) as they struggle to get along despite their differences and accept each other as family. Keys To The Heart will warm your heart with its formulaic plot line.

A has-been boxer Jo Ha resents his mother Joo In Sook (Yoon Yuh Jung) for leaving him years ago with his abusive father. However one day, he meets her on the streets by chance and takes up her offer to come live with her and his autistic younger brother Jin Tae.

20180320_tss1.jpg

Jin Tae is a musical savant who is impossible to dislike with his innocent demeanor and childish tendencies. However, he possesses a great talent for playing the piano and video games.

Both brothers initially have conflict, further fueled by In Sook’s bias towards Jin Tae due to his autism. This causes a deeper rift between In Sook and Jo Ha, despite In Sook’s wishes to reconcile with her son. Jo Ha merely sees her as a person who provides free food and lodging.

One day, In Sook tells Jo Ha to take care of his younger brother as she is leaving Seoul to work in Busan for a month. Both brothers then learn to accept and live with each other despite having nothing in common except for their mother and a pianist named Han Ga Yul.

20180320_tss2.jpg

The film is easy to follow and has a simple plot line that warms the heart. As the film progresses, it gets slightly cliche but redeems itself by showcasing the relationship between a mother and her sons. The rapport between both brothers could have been developed further but it suffices with the main focus being a mother-son movie.

Looking past the could-haves, while Lee Byung Hun never disappoints with his veteran acting skills, Park Jung Min was the one who shone and awed the audience with his portrayal as a man with level 2 autism. He paid attention to the slightest actions and details to make it a good portrayal, one that would deeply move and touch the audience. Just an ending note, you might want to get your tissues ready before-hand!

Running Time: 121 minutes
The Seoul Story’s Ratings: 3.8/5 th_keyboard.gif

We would like to extend our huge thanks to mm2 Entertainment for the invite to the movie premiere! 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the rather low-profile non-blockbuster status, KEYS TO THE HEART exceeded expectation and received both critical & commercial acclaim at the Korean box-office. When some were quick to label it unsuccessful, it's actually one of the very few 2018 movies that broke even as many of the other highly-anticipated Korean films have failed to do so.

March 20, 2018

Korean Box Office Sees Slight Drop in Sales in January 2018
With 61.3% Market Share, Korean Films Dominate Box Office

by SONG Soon-jin / KoBiz

The Korean box office figures for January 2018 were released. Although Korean films like Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds (2017) and 1987: When the Day Comes (2017) did well in January, the total sales of the Korean film industry retreated slightly, according to the January 2018 Report on the Korean Film Industry by the Korean Film Council (KOFIC, Chairman OH Seok Geun).

According to the report, the number of attendees and the total sales in January 2018 were 22.94 million and USD 171.6 million, respectively. The number of audiences declined by 310,000 or 1.3% from the same time last year, while total sales decreased by USD 5.3 million (3.0%). Fortunately, the box office successes of domestic films like Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds, 1987: When the Day Comes and Keys to the Heart led to a 61.3% market share. In January, the number of domestic film viewers was 14.06 million, up 10% from a year ago while ticket sales were USD 10.56 million with an increase of 8.8%. However, despite good performances from Disney’s animated film Coco and fantasy action movie Maze Runner: The Death Cure, the number of foreign film viewers and ticket sales were 8.88 million and USD 66 million, taking only 38.7% market share. This was a decline of 16.0% and 17.4% from a year ago.

Of the top ten grossing movies, five were Korean movies and the rest were from Hollywood. Korean fantasy blockbuster Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds topped the box office, collecting 5.51 million moviegoers, followed by Korean political drama 1987: When the Day Comes with 5.16 million moviegoers. Disney’s Coco and Korean family drama Keys to the Heart came in third and fourth places, attracting 2.73 million and 2.29 million filmgoers, respectively.However, franchise films such as 20th Century Fox Korea’s Maze Runner: The Death Cure and Sony Pictures’ Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle didn’t meet expectations in Korea. In the specialty films category, bestseller-based movie Wonder (2017) and Jim Jarmusch’s Paterson (2017) took first and second places, bringing 151,000 and 29,000 moviegoers. Among low-budget domestic movies, documentary films Myeoneuri: My Son's Crazy Wife and For Vagina’s Sake sold 7,000 and 5,000 tickets, respectively.

• 2 weeks later...

April 4, 2018

Keys to the Heart film review: Lee Byung-hun, Park Jung-min play estranged brothers in engrossing Korean comedy-drama

Edmund Lee South China Morning Post

As predictable as the heart-warming plot may be, director Choi Sung-hyun has created a captivating film about a man who is reunited with his estranged mother, and subsequently, his autistic half-brother he never knew he had

3.5/5 stars

Soon after washed-up boxer Jo-ha (Lee Byung-hun) is fired from his job for his uncontrollable temper, the middle-aged loser is coincidentally reunited with his long-lost mother, In-sook (Youn Yuh-jung), who left Jo-ha and his violent father when he was a teenager. Eager for a free place to crash, but still holding onto a grudge against his ageing mother, Jo-ha must also learn to live with – and care for – Jin-tae (Park Jung-min), his autistic half-brother that he’s never met..

While the outcome is predictable, Keys to the Heart does engage with its uniformly likeable cast, as well as Choi’s seamless ability to weave melodramatic revelations into the plot. Coincidence plays a huge part in the storyline; consider the fact that Jin-tae is a piano prodigy who happens to idolise an acquaintance that Jo-ha has just made. Despite this, there’s no denying the emotional power of this well-executed drama, right up to its poignant climax at a concert hall.

Keys to the Heart opens on April 5 in Hong Kong  th_fight.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

August 30, 2018

K-Drama Weekly Update: 08-30-18

By Jeff Chung/K-Drama | West Hawaii Today

The Honolulu Museum of Art is celebrating Korean cinema beginning Saturday at Doris Duke Theatre with the opening night film “Little Forest.” There are a total of 12 feature films which will run until Sept. 25. The titles are: “Little Forest,” “The Age of Blood,” “Keys to the Heart,” “Hit the Night,” “Beautiful Vampire,” “Believer,” “The Accidental Detective,” “The Accidental Detective 2,” “Microhabitat,” “On the Beach at Night Alone,” “Claire’s Camera” and “The Day After.” Kwon Sang Woo fans will be happy his film “The Accidental Detective” is in the program while Lee Byung Hun fans are happy that “Keys to the Heart” is also in the program. The Korean cinema is sponsored by Korea Foundation and KBFD. For more information please visit: www.honolulumuseum.org.

Source: Honolulu Museum of Art // IG

Film:
Keys to the Heart • 그것만이 내 세상

Showtimes:
Thursday Sep 06 01:00 PM 
Saturday Sep 08 01:00 PM 
Sunday Sep 09 04:00 PM 
Thursday Sep 13 07:30 PM 
Wednesday Sep 19 07:30 PM 

Price:
Museum members: $10.00 
General Admission: $12.00 

• 2 weeks later...

September 16, 2018

Brothers Reunited in MR.SUNSHINE

Source:  tvN Drama // News1 // OSEN ++

In a scene with Eugene Choi (played by Lee Byung Hun), Park Jung Min made a cameo appearance in tvN drama, MR. SUNSHINE. In the episode 22 aired on 9/16, PJM guest-starred as a Korean Independence activist. 

ms314.jpg

article.jpg

September 20, 2018

[Upcoming DVD Releases] Korean Movies

"Keys to the Heart", "Be with You" and documentary "Welcome to Playhouse"

Source: HanCinema.net

photo1002936.jpg

"Keys to the Heart" (2018)

Directed by Choi Seong-hyeon

With Lee Byung-hun, Youn Yuh-jung, Park Jung-min, Han Ji-min, Kim Sung-ryung...

Started filming : 2017/06/06
Wrapped up filming : 2017/08/27

Synopsis
"Keys to the Heart" is the story of a boxer and his brother, who is a brilliant pianist with mental disabilities, reconciling through their mother.

photo1002932.jpg

photo1002933.jpg

Our thanks to #MrSunshine  ☀️ @teameushin for the translation ~

[TRANS]

Q: Thoughts of filming with Park Jungmin after a long time?
LBH: Surely it's nice to meet him again after a while. Since he is one of actors who makes me tense up, so it's suddenly getting tense for today as well. 

Q: Thoughts of participating in Mr Sunshine
PJM: It's such an honor to be asked (to participate) in a great drama. I came to meet Byunghun sunbaenim, but I am worried that I might give bad impact since I feel very nervous today. I will do my best!

• 1 month later...

Thanks to @mistymorning for the translation at LBH (and HJM) threads ~

October 15, 2018

Han Ji Min: Thirst for different roles, through movies. One reason, I chose it for one scene with Lee Byung Hun

Source: Naver

0000435306_001_20181015071618425.jpg?type=w540

Her quote on LBH and his acting.

"For example, I did the movie "Keys to the heart" because I was curious about one scene where I was to act face to face Lee ByungHun sunbae. I had different reasons for all the movies I did"

so the reporter had to ask actor Lee Byunghun's acting. her quote again . "During the movie 'Age of Shadow', he was in for special cameo, not with me, but just him being there in person made (me?us) focused. We joked that "He got it all just as a special cameo". He seems to be natural born actor. He must be working hard, but to us, he seems to be laughing and chatting during the rest time, but he seems to be able to immerse himself right on shooting. Gong Yoo said he's going(for sightseeing in KR but not sure how to translate)to watch the scene where Lee Byunghun sunbae and Song Gangho sunbae together. That tells you even the actors/actresses wanted to watch those scenes. There are also so many scenes where Lee Byunghun sunbaenim saved with his ad libs in Keys to the heart."

The movie Miss Baek is currently playing in Korean theaters. Reviews are wonderful and esp. HJM is well praised. It's considered an indie movie? BH entertainment is on credit as co-production company, from article I read. 

October 25, 2018

Paris Korean Film Festival Returns for 13th Edition on October 30
THE GREAT BATTLE and SUNSET IN MY HOMETOWN to Bookend FFCP

by Pierce Conran KoBiz // 13th FFCP

40684476_1836541473095882_3792013435793833984_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.fkul13-1.fna&oh=29ea06e0813931df2a624d783ca20b17&oe=5C86098F

The 13th edition of the Paris Korean Film Festival (FFCP) will open its doors on October 30 and run until November 6. This year’s FFCP will open with the Chuseok smash The Great Battle before being brought to a close with the youth drama Sunset in My Hometown. 

From director KIM Kwang-sik and starring ZO In-sung, period siege action-drama The Great Battle is currently the second most successful Korean film of the year with 5.38 million admissions (USD 40.48 million). The latest work from hitmaker LEE Joon-ik, Sunset in My Hometown features PARK Jung-min as a rapper who returns to his hometown and reconnects with an old friend played by KIM Go-eun.

This year’s other event screenings will include LEE Seok-keun’s romantic comedy On Your Wedding Day, HUH Jong-ho’s period creature feature Monstrum, KIM Tae-gyun’s investigative drama Dark Figure of Crime and KIM Yong-hwa’s fantasy epic Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds (2017).

FFCP will also present a Halloween screening of JUNG Bum-shik’s GONJIAM: Haunted Asylum and advance screenings of YOON Jong-bin’s The Spy Gone North, Hong Sangsoo’s Grass and KIM Ui-seok’s After My Death, which will take place ahead of their French theatrical releases. 

The ‘Panorama Section’ has invited JANG Joon-hwan’s 1987: When the Day Comes (2017), JEONG Hee-jae’s A Haunting Hitchhike (2017), KIM In-seon’s Adulthood, LEE Hae-young’s Believer, LEE Il-ha’s Counters, JEONG Jae-eun’s Ecology in Concrete (2017), KIM Bo-ram’s For Vagina’s Sake, KO Bong-soo’s Hello Dayoung, CHOI Sung-hyun’s Keys to the Heart, YIM Soon-rye’s Little Forest, JUNG Dae-gun’s Mate, PARK Ki-yong’s Old Love (2017), LEE Hwan’s Park Hwa-young and SHIN Yeon-shick’s Romans 8:37 (2017).

This year’s ‘Focus Section’ will feature sports films, including KIM Jee-woon’s The Foul King (2000), MOON Hyun-sung’s As One (2012), JUNG Ji-woo’s Fourth Place (2016) and WOO Moon-gi’s The King of Jokgu (2014).

Meanwhile the ‘Portrait Section’, which seeks out one promising new director every year, will take a look at JEON Go-woon. Her acclaimed feature debut Microhabitat will screen along with her shorts Too Bitter To Love (2008) and Bad Scene (2012).

Finally, the ‘Classics Section’ will take a look at the work of legendary actress CHOI Eun-hee. Screening works include SHIN Sang-ok’s The Flower in Hell (1958) and Bound by Chastity Rule (1962), LEE Hyung-pyo’s When Night Falls at Myeongdong (1964), as well as The Girl Raised As A Future Daughter-In-Law (1965) and One-sided Love of Princess (1967), both directed by CHOI herself.

• 2 weeks later...

October 26, 2018

[Just out on DVD] Korean Movie "Keys to the Heart" and documentary "Welcome to Playhouse"

Source: HanCinema.net

photo1012002.jpg

Korean movie "Keys to the Heart" and documentary "Welcome to Playhouse" are available to pre-order on DVD with English subtitles from YESASIA.

"Keys to the Heart" (2017)

Directed by Choi Seong-hyeon

With Lee Byung-hun, Youn Yuh-jung, Park Jung-min, Han Ji-min, Kim Sung-ryung, Choi Ri,...

Started filming : 2017/06/06
Wrapped up filming : 2017/08/27

Synopsis
"Keys to the Heart" is the story of a boxer and his brother, who is a brilliant pianist with mental disabilities, reconciling through their mother.

DVD 2-Disc with English subtitles

photo1002933.jpg

photo1002932.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

December 6, 2016 

Congratulations , Byung Hun-ssi!!

Actor Lee Byung Hun won the Grand Prize for "Keys to the Heart" at the 38th Golden Cinema Film Festival at the PJ Hotel in Jung-gu, Seoul on the afternoon of the 6th.  "Keys to the Heart" won three gold medals, with Kim Tae-sung , the director of photography, winning the gold medal in filming, and Choi Won-ga, the rookie.

Source:  BH Entertainment's Instagram 

Archived