[movie 2005] April Snow 외출

Guest LuvU

Guest silverlady791

I got my DVD and jut finish watching it....it was pretty good........BYJ got an fabulous abs....that's all i can say for now...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dashuu

i also had problems with my subs >< confusing english!

but i liked the feeling the movie gave me, i felt relaxed after watching but i didnt really liked the ending of the movie, i wish both have had a future together ;)

Guest samgirl

i also had the DVD and the sub sucked!

also my DVD they did cut the love scenes ,, why is that?

is there a version w/o a cut?

Guest SimplyTherese

Someone said that the lady beside BYJ at the end of the movie is SYJ....

Are you sure, that's SYJ? I was hoping there'll be a part 2 movie; a story focused only to the two main characters (BYJ & SYJ). =D

Anyways, I agree; this movie is OK... you have to be an "open minded person" though (for others, it maybe immoral but for me that's understandable)... =D

I admire BYJ's character here, he didn't blame his wife (past is past, the guy is dead) let's move on...BUT what about his feelings to SYJ (if any, or am i just imagining things between the two of them?) specially when he learned that SYJ left already (is my interpretation correct?) HE CRIED, RIGHT!!!!? =D

That gives me the idea of a PART 2 MOVIE...THE WORDS LEFT UNSAID....gheeeeeeeeeezzeee!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i watched this movie about 3 times now and i think its pretty good. as a movie goer, renting this movie was the best choice for me before buying it. i mean there werent a lot of lines given to the actors but the story line was pretty good. it was smooth sailing from the very beginning. u can feel the characters pain just watching their facial expressions. i could even feel the forming "love" between the two main characters. BYJ really transformed into In-su. the intense bed scenes were...dArN...can i say Hot Hot HOT! steamy! :w00t: :blush: B) hahaha...lucky for me, theres a korean video store close by...more BYJ watching...

I don't think he was "cheating" on his wife at the end when he was in the car with SYJ. In one of the final scenes he is in his apartment and the room is filled with boxes. Looks like someone is moving out, which means either leaving or more likely divorcing.

More dialog would have been nice, but I guess they were really stressing simplicity.

Guest frances

i also had the DVD and the sub sucked!

also my DVD they did cut the love scenes ,, why is that?

is there a version w/o a cut?

u can have the "uncut" thru the korean version in yesasia.

its eng sub is very good & the deleted scenes are also included in the supplement disc (w/c runs for about 3 hrs).

I don't think he was "cheating" on his wife at the end when he was in the car with SYJ. In one of the final scenes he is in his apartment and the room is filled with boxes. Looks like someone is moving out, which means either leaving or more likely divorcing.

More dialog would have been nice, but I guess they were really stressing simplicity.

we have the same interpretation. the boxes i think represents that InSoo is to move out of their apartment. and the meeting again of Insoo and So Yeong happened a year after the death of the husband which was April too.

I think too that after the concert when it snowed, Insoo was the one who gave So Yeong a call. I'm assuming this bec when So Yeong left Samcheok she had this feeling that Insoo and his wife's relationship will be ok again, and she left so that she will not have any guilty feelings.

The snow in April might have been the sign for the 2 of them to be together again. A snow in spring is very rare . Remember when they were on the beach and they were asking each other what's their favorite season. Insoo said that he likes winter and So Yeong said that she likes spring. Then Insoo said that it should snow in spring and both had meaningful smile.

April Snow captures

reposted in byjff

1captured55ib.jpg

1captured73fr.jpg

1captured126lm.jpg

1captured134zi.jpg

From AS Supplement DVD

111a139xu.jpg

111a118uc.jpg

111a124pf.jpg

111a205ha.jpg

111a212wa.jpg

PS. BYJ wife in AS was played by Im Sang Hyo, she was a supermodel and actress. Here's a short news about her which was posted by Cam in BYJ's Quilt today about Im Sang Hyo ~

[Trans] "April Snow" wife is to be married into a wealthy Thai Family

2006.01.29 Taiwan Apple Daily News

The day before yesterday BYJ’s on screen wife Im Sang Hyo of "April Snow" has announced her March marriage to a well-known wealthy family of Thailand . At the age of 30, she will retire from her acting career and enjoy life as a lady of leisure in Thailand after marriage.

[Photos] Captured from AS DVD

by zeze in daum's byjfan cafe

reposted by joanne in quilt freeboard

This scene was after So Yeong and InSoo spent the night together for the first time

111a344jy.jpg

111a352zh.jpg

111a361yg.jpg

111a370zj.jpg

111a389si.jpg

111a395fk.jpg

111a403bf.jpg

111a415je.jpg

One of the most boring k movies i have watched...........

hi there reydevan! actually AS is not everyone's cup of tea. reviews on AS varies. if you're the type of person who likes fastpace movies then AS is not for you. AS may actually be classified as an art film. I think that Director Hur was able to put together AS wonderfully. For me AS is a very simple yet touching movie.

These photos were captured from the last scenes of AS. Honestly when I saw the snow falling after the concert I sighed and said to myself that there is hope for the Insoo and SoYeong. One of the very touching scene from AS. For those who were able to understand the movie, I think you get what I mean :)

111a322xq.jpg

111a331kn.jpg

Guest frances

Hmm.....rather a quiet movie.......not dat interesting to me.......... :(

well....the film is not for mainstream audience anyway...so its ok :)

here's a review from an online critic, kurt halfyard of twitch.com during the 2005 toronto filmfest ~

from twitch.com

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/003577.html

September 18, 2005

TIFF Report: April Snow (외출) Review

(Posted In Asia Drama Reviews Toronto Film Festival 2005 )

Let us get this out of the way early. For the wrong reasons, April Snow is a film that will forever sit in the shadow of Wong Kar Wai’s stylish romantic tragedy In The Mood For Love.

During a highly unusual snowstorm in late spring, a car accident leaves a local man dead, and a man and woman from Seoul beat up badly and in comas. In Su works as a lighting co-ordinator for pop concerts, and has to leave right in the middle of setting up a large concert due to a phone call from his wife being injured small coastal town. When he gets there, he meets Seo Young, a woman attending to her comatose husband. For both of them, the abrupt situation is both tragic, and also very awkward. Their spouses were in the car togther, driving drunk to a location neither knows. This is never clearer than when they have to sift though a bag of possessions recovered from the car. Which one of their spouses owned the condom? On the cellular phones and digital camera, In Su and Seo Young find intimate phone messages and an explicit video of their worst fears, their spouses lounging in bed in a state of casual and intimate humour.

Both In Su and Seo Young are put through the emotional wringer over the weeks of waiting for their partners either to wake up, or pass away At times both wish for either of these two ends for their silent partners. In a particularly awkward scene, at the request of one of their insurance adjusters, they attend the funeral of the local man who was killed in the accident. The mother, deeply mired in grief, as the accident was the result of drunk driving, at first thinks the couple are friends of her son. When they awkwardly explain their relationship to the deceased, the mother sends them away and the family members threaten violence. That particular form of guilt (how are In Su and Seo Young at fault here?) is convincingly examined though a distanced and unusual relationship, which starts with unanswerable, questions and ends with love.

There is a multitude of compelling reasons why In Su and Seo Young get together. They are both away from home in the static limbo of hospital corridors and long wait between doctor visits. They are both grieving for their partners who secretly betrayed them in one of the worst possible ways, in other words: these are very scarred souls. And there is an undeniable attraction between them that cannot be ignored. But the trump card here is that the emotional baggage of their situation hovers over every word, gesture and thought.

April Snow works as a film at every possible level. It defies the obvious trap of melodrama inherent in the situation. The acting and chemistry of the two leads is impeccable, as is the distanced and silent tone of the film. Director Hur Jin Ho and actors Bae Yong Joon and Son Ye Jin scripted the film as they were shooting it. This often ends in a messy muddled film (see Dancing at the Blue Iguana for a good example of this concept done really bad), but here, the film is flawless in its storytelling. Admittedly, a mainstream audience may have trouble with the very, very slow pace, but it is perfectly in line with the story, situation and isolated and uneasy tone of the film. I cannot think of a single wrong note in the film.

So, what about the comparisons to In the Mood For Love? Well, it is reminiscent of that film, obviously from the concept, but also because it goes about itself different in every way. April Snow is contemporary and crisp where wkw’s film is nostalgic and ethereal. April Snow does offer answers and a conclusion, where In the Mood For Love is vague and not forthcoming. Does this make sense? It will when you see the film. And if you are a romantic at heart, you should. A snowstorm in the summer is a bitter sweet moment captured in yet another solid film out of South Korea.

» Posted by Kurt at September 18, 2005 08:53 PM

Happy Lunar Year, everyone!!!

My review of April Snow (CONTAINS SPOILER)

Anyway, I finally got a chance to watch April Snow today (I didn't want to watch it throughout the week because too many distractions.) I got a chance to watch it today and guess what....I LOVED IT!!! I don't care what some critics said, this movie was so awesome...maybe I'm being prejudice because I love BYJ so much but I know, even without him in the drama, I would have loved it. It's one of those movies where you really need to read between the lines (scenes) and they cut off alot of scenes. The passion that Insu and Seo-young shared was so strong and the actors portrayed it rather well. The frustrations they felt after being betrayed by their spouses and how they had to deal with it accordingly. One of my favorite part was when Insu was in the car and singing with music. This is the first time I heard BYJ sing. Well, I want to watch it again.

oh, yeah, the love scenes were awesome. I was kind of embarrassed because I've never seen this type of love scene since I've been watching korean dramas....actually this is the first korean movie I've watched. I'm not use to seeing such a passionate love scene...and in fact, 2 passionate love scene. But honestly, I couldn't get my eyes off BYJ's body...so masculine.

ok what else.......oh yea, the ending. i guess there are many ways to interpret it but this is my intrepretation. So, Insu and his wife separate and that's why they show In-su in an apartment with boxes all over the floor. Then they show him doing his job again and then it snows....in April. Then they show SY also amazed at the snow as Insu is. So next thing you know, there's snow everywhere and someone is driving in the snow and you hear the voices of SY asking where they are going and then Insu answered, where does she want to go. This is the same conversation they had before they went to the hotel the first time. So, I would like to interpret as they are going wherever they want to go....together. I tell you, I loved this movie.

ok, songjc out!!!!

Happy Lunar Year, everyone!!!

My review of April Snow (CONTAINS SPOILER)

Anyway, I finally got a chance to watch April Snow today (I didn't want to watch it throughout the week because too many distractions.) I got a chance to watch it today and guess what....I LOVED IT!!! I don't care what some critics said, this movie was so awesome...maybe I'm being prejudice because I love BYJ so much but I know, even without him in the drama, I would have loved it. It's one of those movies where you really need to read between the lines (scenes) and they cut off alot of scenes. The passion that Insu and Seo-young shared was so strong and the actors portrayed it rather well. The frustrations they felt after being betrayed by their spouses and how they had to deal with it accordingly. One of my favorite part was when Insu was in the car and singing with music. This is the first time I heard BYJ sing. Well, I want to watch it again.

Hi songjc! Yup I agree with you that AS is one of those movies that you really have to read between the lines to understand. Have you realized that you don't even want chew to popcorn bec you might miss a line, actions, or signs (the clock, the calendar, the boxes and the growing plant)? :D

Guest sunshine4ever

my gosh, i watched this movie because i thought that bae young joon and son ye jin are good actors and that they're going to pull off well...apparently the plot sux big time...i wasted almost 2 hours watching a movie with a flat feeling!!! wahhh..i haven't been complaining about movies, but this one is definitely not worth the time...I remember my friend said that this movie isn't good, but since I've liked some of Son Ye Jin's movies and I liked the men that acted with her so I thought it might be good, but it turned out to be a disappointment...I don't even know why they have these sex scenes which don't seem to explain much to me...just cuz the other two were bad, that doesn't mean they have to be like that too...

Oh, I'm sorry to read that you didn't like AS. As what had been posted over the previous posts, AS is a not not the typical commercialized movie. :)

Here's another review posted by Corina in BYJ's Quilt for a better understanding why the movie has to be shot in such a way.

--------------

A review by my colleague, Patrick, thought to share it with the sisters and friends here ~ corina.

I have caught "April Snow" and it comes across to me as a great film. I figure the majority of the viewers who panned the show are mainly mainstream movie-lover and hence do not see the intrinsic beauty in the intricate details of the film.

I will classify "April Snow" as an arthouse film, primarily because of the fact that the impact of this film hinge a lot on the actor's / actress's expression and body language. With minimal dialogue, the camera lingers often on the leads' body language. This bears a close resemblance to director Wong Kar Wai's "In the mood for Love", whereby Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung plays a pair of ill-fated lovers whose love is never reciprocated. If you want to have a better feel of artistic films, you can check out this one. And if you fall in love with the director's works, you can try "Chungking Express" and "2046" (the sequel to "In the Mood for Love").

Other than the fact the the film depends largely on the leads' body language, there are other filming techniques that identifies this film as an arthouse film rather than a mainstream one. They are as follows:

1. The whole film has a "jerky" feel:

While most commercial films starts each change in setting with an establishing shot (a shot that reveals to the audience the environment where the action takes place and hence mentally preparing them for the action that follows), arthouse films usually cuts straight to the chase. While these will seem disrupting to most audience who are more attuned to commercial films, the director is actually using these "jerky" cuts to illustrate a point. It could be from the emotions that the leads are feeling (i.e. unstable, temperamental, confused) to the fact that the director simply focuses on the action.

One such good sequence is when Bae Yong Joon drives his car in the tunnel and the camera shows a first-person perspective of the driver in a car coming out of the tunnel and into the light, before switching rapidly to a scene where Bae is writing down SMS messages from his wife's phone and finally throwing the phone on the table in exasperation. These rapid cut illustrates the emotional upheaveals of the male lead, from experiencing a sense of epiphany (when he know the truth) before plunging down into depression and resignation again after the truth sinks in.

2. Breach of the "180 degree rule:

In most commercial films, there is an invisible line cut across in front of the camera. The directors are not allowed to shift the camera to the other side of the line as this will dis-orientate the viewers. However, in this film, there's a scene where a drunken Bae Yong Joon stumbles awkwardly to Son Ye Jin's door and knocked on it.

Subsequently, when Son Ye Jin opens the door, he walks right into her house. In the next scene, the camera swings 180 degrees to film Son Ye Jin on her right (outside her house), with some passing guests staring at her. The disorientation experienced by the audience actually coincide with Son Ye Jin's unstable emotions at that point in time. The director actually breaches filming conventions so as to use the filming medium as a tool to express the emotions to the viewers. Ingenious!

3. The use of "Off the Screen" presence:

In another specific scene, Bae Yong Joon is seen viewing a recorded sequence of his wife having an affair, after which he moves out from the camera's angle. However, the audience is still able to hear him vomiting in the restroom soon after. Such is another prominent technique used to sift the arthouse films from the commercial ones.

To conclude, I feel that "April Snow" is a very beautiful film and rates high on aesthetics. I hope that you have enjoyed this film as much as I have. =)

Guest frances

my gosh, i watched this movie ............

like most art films, AS is not for mass market & a bit difficult to digest....some like it, some dont, & that's the way it is.

btw, thanks for your time & effort in writing down your thoughts. B)

[Photos] Captured Shots from AS Poster Making ~

as39rq.jpg

as71cv.jpg

as154ih.jpg

as243dg.jpg

as125jp.jpg

Archived