[Drama 2017] Forest of Secrets / Stranger 비밀의숲 - Baeksang 2018 Daesang Award /Best Actor / Best Writer

larus

16 hours ago, larus said:

@UnniSarah, @nateko I hope we`ll have news soon. If they can prepare the drama for the beginning of the next year it will be great. 

Forest of Secrets2/ Stranger2  and Signal 2 in the same year. WOW.

Exactly my reactions wow!!!

So excited now @bedifferent . I am hoping that LJH will sign on of course ( think he would if Bae Doona & CSW does given their close friendship) . Though he’ll be playing a smarmy character again :lol:. I should be used to this by now . 

@Lawyerh @staygold FYI

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, triplem said:

Though he’ll be playing a smarmy character again 

I want to hope against hope and see his character change. Maybe he changes for good but is too deep in the richard simmons to leave it. 

@staygold @triplem he won’t change.  :lol:  Shi Mok is cut for special investigation cuz of his unfailingly black and white nature.  Doesn’t mean he can’t learn about blurring the lines here there and Dong Jae can help him far more than he cares to  admit!  It’s a greeaat pairing. I want Dong Jae to continue to grate on  his nerves...lol  LJH in a suit is dreamy?! :lol:

Would we be picking up on where we left off?   Dtr Yeon Jae getting her dad out of jail and Prime Minister Kim going to trial.  Will there be  a murder?  Shi Mok crashing Yeojin’s  pad?  Will ShiMok ever noraebang to build team spirit? Has Yeojin moved on with another boyfriend?  Has noodle shop dial down the salt in its broth?  So many things to explore in S2!

48 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

LJH in a suit is dreamy?

Without one , also dreamy :lol:. Look at my profile pic . That’s him in DS60. Oppa is a bad guy again.

But you’re right , he won’t change . DJ only cared   about saving his own skin. But every drama needs some slimy character & playing shady ones are indeed LJH’s forte. 

I would like to see Shi Mok at the noraebang! :lol:especially because JSW is a great singer . 

Ok now pray hard he’ll confirm. . He’s the heart of the show for me 

I wanted to find an excuse to post this .......:joy:

tumblr_p8kdtiu5qm1tt3pp7o1_540.gif

30 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

I read on twitter from the fan account that translated lately the Secret Forest BTS that he's busy on musicals until february 2020.  

It is still good . The drama could start filming in March or acording with his scredules. The production crew work long before the drama starts filming so I think they have secured the main leads.

I know they said early 2020 but they could delay the drama.

Fingers crossed that everything will be resolve on time. I don`t want to wait too much. They gave us hope so Forest of Secrets 2 must be a done deal.

@titania1000 @larus I feel a lot depends on the script quality. CJW didn't hide his love for the series and writer or his costars.  The writer, producers know better than to not feature return of their two most important characters.  Both actors love their characters making me think they won't commit to subpar plot. 

Most likely S2 will be pre produced, who knows may even be picked up by Netflix (as it supports for multiseason writing for a lot of shows).  The format works for CJW who doesn't like live shoots or Bae Doona who also active in movies.  But how to tell the next story for our gang that will live up to the expectation of the reunion?  

Yes, i love to see how Shi Mok's assistants fare post Dong-Jae. :D

13 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

But how to tell the next story for our gang that will live up to the expectation of the reunion?  

I will trust the writer. In most cases, the first season is the best but she could write a good story so the reunion it will be worth it.  

There will be a new case but the writer`s job will be more difficult to surprise the audience knowing her style. I am excited to see Shi Mok and Yeo Jin not only working together but "bonding' as well.

Bae Doona posted this several weeks ago on her IG, 2 years since S1~~

@larus lol... I watched Life.  If there is one weakness to writer, it's her way of writing romance outright.  She's quite good at hinting undercurrent chemistry but when she tried to add a love life to CSW's character, she couldn't do it in a believable and organic way that a lot of knets gave the show and the actress plenty of grief.  She could write strong female characters but when it comes to romance, she doesn't have the feel of a modern romance.  The way she writes the relationship between the two characters has this charming old fashion way that exists only in my parents' generation.  There's no kisses, hugs, love making.  Heck, the characters don't even hold hands.  It's all in the gaze and unspoken feel between the two.  I think it's really cute. However, for those viewers who want outright confirmation of the love story, I think you won't get from this writer. That said, I also want SM to acknowledge his feelings toward YJ, in a way that won't cause him migraine. :lol:

What I get from Life tells me that writernim's stories are often socially relevant.  Her characters (good and bad) are relatable to us viewers, their actions make them figures of sympathy whether we agree with their purposes.  She writes grey character well; in turn their motives are well understood.  I really like how layered the main characters are written.  BUT, I do think with Life, she needed to rein in her story, make the plot more tight to make the ending less rushed.  Her side characters sometimes suffer from not enough screen time.  What I like about Life is that the good guys didn't win, the bad turn good didn't totally changed the status quo.  They all made a little change, did their small part to make society a little better for everyone then continue to live their lives after making that difference. The ordinary people made the leap to do extraordinary things and we are better for their courage.  It's all about everyone doing something when you see things wrong.  It is almost to say we are flawed, we have vices.  We don't have all the answers, yet we have people out there in society who are willing to keep working at the solution. I also like her endings.  Both dramas are slightly open ended, definitely hopeful.  

9 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I watched Life.  If there is one weakness to writer, it's her way of writing romance outright.  She's quite good at hinting undercurrent chemistry but when she tried to add a love life to CSW's character, she couldn't do it in a believable and organic way that a lot of knets gave the show and the actress plenty of grief.  She could write strong female characters but when it comes to romance, she doesn't have the feel of a modern romance. 

I watched Life too and I found the romance OK. It was matching the tone of the drama. The love story was not on front.

As for Stranger/ Secret Forest, I don`t expect and I don`t want to see a love story between the leads. I still remember that Shi Mok had a medical problem. Feeling emotionally numb, I don`t think Shi Mok will have a strong and healthy romantic relationship ever. For me it was interesting to see him conecting even a little with others. When he brought the picture of his former team with him at the new office, I find it a huge step for him. :D

This second season will be a mystery, thriller drama as well. I want to see a good investigative team in Shi Mok and Yeo-Jin because they complement each other well.

• 1 month later...

I can't believe it took me 2 years before coming across this show. I just finished and wanted to come here to simply say that it's truly an amazing story. Very well-written. Nothing over-the-top was needed because the dialogue and characters are so good. I even enjoyed the bad guys. It took me awhile to find out more about the show because Netflix has it titled as Stranger, but it appears to be known mostly as Forest of Secrets. I was extremely delighted to find out it has won awards and that there will be a season 2! I'm looking forward to more mystery and thriller (even some more shenanigans from Dong Jae). I may be in the absolute minority in this, but I am actually hoping to see more feelings and emotions from Shi Mok. Perhaps even his version of romantic ones for Yeo Jin. I know he has a medical condition that prevents him from processing emotions, but I just can't help think that it's slightly possible because of the last scene with Shi Mok smiling at Yeo Jin's drawing of him. It's true that Shi Mok may not be capable of being in "normal" relationship, but I feel that Yeo Jin does understand him and would wholeheartedly accept him. I'm not expecting any of it in season 2, but it would definitely be icing on the cake for me if something subtle does happen. But honestly, I'm just really happy that there will be a season 2.

Does anyone know if it's been confirmed whether or not Bae Doona and Lee Joon Hyuk will reprise their roles?

8 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Does anyone know if it's been confirmed whether or not Bae Doona and Lee Joon Hyuk will reprise their roles?

Bae Doona am not sure. But Lee Joon Hyuk, Cho Seung Woo and Yoon Se Ah has been confirmed as of now. Bae Doona has been offered to reprise her role. And am praying that she confirms it because it won't be same without her.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone :)

on my second rewatch... I'm pretty sure this show has ruined all other kdramas for me! Love the leads' natural acting, tight script, characters, the pacing, mood, and OST. Supremely satisfying! 

Eagerly waiting for season 2 xox

Love from Canada

54 minutes ago, Xocopie88 said:

Hello everyone :)

on my second rewatch... I'm pretty sure this show has ruined all other kdramas for me! Love the leads' natural acting, tight script, characters, the pacing, mood, and OST. Supremely satisfying! 

Eagerly waiting for season 2 xox

Love from Canada

Hi, come and join us on the other thread for season 2:)

This show set the expectations high for other Kdramas. I can't stop comparing them lol:lol:.

PS. From ON, Canada:wub:.

Archived