Quantcast
Jump to content
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Rule the World 独步天下

Recommended Posts

I watched this show on a whim and don't really get it but then continues to watch it lol. I agree with some of the comments that said that sometimes Dong'ge is really smart and wise but other times she's really childlike and naive. I find that odd and jarring too. I feel like I can explain it away as her being sheltered by Nuharchi (spelling?) for half of her life....but then this man is the man that she spends most of her energy defying lmaoooo although she recognizes that he treats her well. 

 

Another part of me is very sympathetic to Dong'ge...she's usually just minding her own business but men around her are constantly trying to harass her with their "affections"....no wonder why she fell for Huang Taiji...the only guy that doesn't manhandle her or make weak promises (unlike the 2nd prince). Whenever I watch her scenes with other other men or consorts, I'm constantly like, "sweet baby jesus, can yaw just let this girl live?"

 

One thing I don't care for was the reason why I started the show...in episode one, I very much recall the main character, in her writer incarnation, proudly declare that she was gonna write a female protagonist unlike all other female protagonists ever on screen. I'm sorry but I feel like this didn't happen...I can't quite see how (broadly) Dong'ge (at least for the first 20 episodes) is different from all of Ruby Lin's past characters. Despite my comments, I will try to catch it here and there when I'm bored. I'm watching it for Tang Yixin cause she's so cute....with her baby face, I wanted to laugh at the age difference between Dong'ge and Huang Taiji (Raymond Lam) onscreen. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this drama; however, I am stuck on Episode 19 because I cannot find any episodes 19 that have been translated into English.  This is what had turned me off from Chinese dramas years ago.  I started to watch a drama and it took more than a year for the entire series to be subed.  If someone knows a site that have English sub titles for episode 20 and above, please let me know.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 9:57 AM, omiki said:

Its a nice touch by the writer to tell the story this way. I laughed when I saw how the story was  going. Totally unrealistic but entertaining, nonetheless.

I read the spoiler.  It is a nice touch.  It will make this story difference from all the others. Now I will not be confused later on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have finished watching the show and at least it has a nice finish to it but I was quite confused around the middle of the drama...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Carmarie said:

I love this drama; however, I am stuck on Episode 19 because I cannot find any episodes 19 that have been translated into English.  This is what had turned me off from Chinese dramas years ago.  I started to watch a drama and it took more than a year for the entire series to be subed.  If someone knows a site that have English sub titles for episode 20 and above, please let me know.

 

I think it's only subbed to 19 so far and it's been about 2 weeks or so since. If the people who voluntarily do subs in their spare time aren't interested in a drama, they won't sub it. 

Having done segments on a drama I didn't care about felt like torture.

I skipped around and watched up to ep 42; It's all fun and games 'til someone gets killed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me who this guy is supposed to be?? 

 

x240-Wkk.jpg

 

he seems to be an important character later on in the story o.o ... or is he just another addition to Dong’ge’s harem??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is DuoErGun, the 14th Son of Nurhaci and Abahai, so in other words, HTJ’s younger Brother. He first discovered BYR on the battlefield when she was resurrected and he fell in love with her. Of course, BYR’s heart is with HTJ so he was heartbroken later when he discovered that HTJ’s new concubine was her. He is also supposedly the reincarnation of CuYing, the first Brother, because of the teeth bite mark on his shoulder made by DG when she visited him in jail. DG told CY to come look for her in his next life, using the teeth bite mark as proof.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, omiki said:

He is DuoErGun, the 14th Son of Nurhaci and Abahai, so in other words, HTJ’s younger Brother. He first discovered BYR on the battlefield when she was resurrected and he fell in love with her. Of course, BYR’s heart is with HTJ so he was heartbroken later when he discovered that HTJ’s new concubine was her. He is also supposedly the reincarnation of CuYing, the first Brother, because of the teeth bite mark on his shoulder made by DG when she visited him in jail. DG told CY to come look for her in his next life, using the teeth bite mark as proof.

Ohhhh thank you so much! You even explained the bite mark! I’m beginning to understand a bit hehe 

 

so sad the subbers seem to have stopped subbing this drama Q.Q

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 1:23 AM, shae said:

I think it's only subbed to 19 so far and it's been about 2 weeks or so since. If the people who voluntarily do subs in their spare time aren't interested in a drama, they won't sub it. 

Having done segments on a drama I didn't care about felt like torture.

I skipped around and watched up to ep 42; It's all fun and games 'til someone gets killed

@Shae  I can understand how subbing a drama that you are not interested in can be torture and I thank all those subbers who volunteer their time to sub dramas.  It has to be a labor of love.

This is a good drama.  I think what happens sometimes, if there isn't a lot of public interest in a drama or it is not given rave reviews, there isn't that push and drive to sub it.  The subbers move on to other dramas that have more appeal to the public.  The only problem is that many good dramas are not being enjoyed by people such as me, who do not speak the language, but enjoy the dramas, especially historical dramas.  So far, the Chinese historical dramas have the best costumes, scenery and fighting scenes.  However, many I cannot watch because they are not subbed.  I hope Drama Fever picks up this drama.  If they do, they will sub it themselves.                                                

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 8:53 AM, nelomello said:

Can anyone tell me who this guy is supposed to be?? 

 

x240-Wkk.jpg

 

he seems to be an important character later on in the story o.o ... or is he just another addition to Dong’ge’s harem??

 

Spoiler

One of the sons that may be reincarnated of someone thrown in as love interest. Which is strange to me because she could be his mother. But, this is just a guess. I FF and skipped a few episodes.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sadly this drama has subtitles till episode 19 and no news ever since! :( what a loss. i couldn't watch completely but saw a few episodes in between and got some ideas. can anyone answer these questions? :D:D

Spoiler

1- So DG was forced to marry some other guy and burnt her face on her wedding night. then she returns to HTJ with a different name ( i guess ) and HTJ marries her?

2- she dies and reincarnates with the same looks and memories. then again she marries HTJ?

3- The ending scene, she becomes the prime consort at last? or just another concubine? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tintin92

 

Spoiler

1. Due to her contracting some kind of contagious disease, her Husband ordered her to be disposed of, so his men tossed her off the cliff. Then,  due to some unexplained miracle, she survived and was saved by HTJ. He hid her at a villa separate from his official house located in the outskirts to recover. His wives knew of the existence of this new and ‘junior’ concubine but were never allowed to meet her until much later. In order to keep his Father and Brother from finding her, he decided together with DG that she would be known as BYR henceforth.

2. BYR died from an injury she sustained while shielding HTJ during an assasination attempt. She died and was resurrected as a younger self few years later but under a different name (see my earlier post).

3. At the end when HTJ had defeated the Ming Dynasty and set up his own Qing Dynasty, she was made Consort because she declined HTJ’s offer to make her Empress. She said she was too lazy to manage the mundane affairs of the Inner Palace, and preferred to spend her precious time more leisurely with HTJ instead, as his Wife only.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the Worst Drawn-On Facial Hair Award goes to....

 

What they use on the man? An old Sharpie?

  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2017 at 6:40 AM, omiki said:

@tintin92

 

  Hide contents

1. Due to her contracting some kind of contagious disease, her Husband ordered her to be disposed of, so his men tossed her off the cliff. Then,  due to some unexplained miracle, she survived and was saved by HTJ. He hid her at a villa separate from his official house located in the outskirts to recover. His wives knew of the existence of this new and ‘junior’ concubine but were never allowed to meet her until much later. In order to keep his Father and Brother from finding her, he decided together with DG that she would be known as BYR henceforth.

2. BYR died from an injury she sustained while shielding HTJ during an assasination attempt. She died and was resurrected as a younger self few years later but under a different name (see my earlier post).

3. At the end when HTJ had defeated the Ming Dynasty and set up his own Qing Dynasty, she was made Consort because she declined HTJ’s offer to make her Empress. She said she was too lazy to manage the mundane affairs of the Inner Palace, and preferred to spend her precious time more leisurely with HTJ instead, as his Wife only.

 

thanks alot for your answer! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Subtitles for this drama are now up to 32 with episodes 33-45 still unsubbed on most sites but there are soft subs for all episodes of the drama on Youtube if you search. 

 

I have never been one for historical drama's but lately I have become addicted to the Chinese Historical and Wuxia type drama's of late (I mostly want those that have some type of martial arts with a little bit of romance.) I started this drama on a whim and actually LOVE it now. I agree that the men in Dongge's life were the cause of a lot of her misery. The woman could not get one sane break except for Hong Ta Ji. I  think what makes this drama for me a favorite is the love he had for her. I see his vow for power was never about ambition although I am sure he had some I felt his motivation was all about gaining power to protect Dongge.(I think he even vowed that once in the drama.)  Everything he did was to secure her safety I felt. Unlike the second brother who made promises or talked to much to never back it up or the violent brother who was such a fool that he lost his life because of his blatant and over the top love for her. 

 

I was sad because all she wanted was to find a place to be herself and a man to love her without thinking of her beauty or what type of tool she could be used for. Unfortunately although she was treated well by Nurhaci he was a obsessed crazy man who put his ambition over anything else. She knew she was only a tool for him. So even though he loved her in his own way he did not want anyone else to have her and fulfill the prophecy that was told about her.  He ruined her life with not being able to let her go to live a life with someone she could love.

 

I think what I was saddest about is that Dongge could not have children with Ta Ji. But then again I feel like if they had children the man would have only favored the children from her and not dealt with his other children causing problems. He himself admits in one episode that he feels nothing for those children or wives because his heart only has her in it. The relationship between these two was what got me. She was there from the moment he was born and he did all he could to protect her and give her a life she craved. The fact that the man was willing to fake her death changing her name showed how serious he was to protect her.  He even defied death by having shaman's chant for 5 years after her last death with the hope it would bring her back. 

 

I think I like the modern touches that were thrown in as we saw the author write her story about these two and the things they experienced. I think my only wish was one or two additional episodes that showed Director Hong's face a bit more and showed a relationship between them because I know that he is Hong Ta Ji reincarnated. I think it would have been interesting if he knew it too and they were able to reunite in the modern world. But I guess the ending showed possibilities. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ldy Gmerm said:

 

I think what I was saddest about is that Dongge could not have children with Ta Ji. But then again I feel like if they had children the man would have only favored the children from her and not dealt with his other children causing problems. He himself admits in one episode that he feels nothing for those children or wives because his heart only has her in it.

I agree wholeheartedly chingu @Ldy Gmerm, but truthfully the mother of his children had so much influence on the children. If these children chose to be neutral, I think they could have been loved by their father. His children mother's were always conspiring to hurt the woman he loved. Ta Ji was actually a good man and if these woman wasn't scheming all the time, he could have frown to care for his wives.

The men in her lives did cause her a lot of pain because their ambitions came first. TBH I blame the prophecy for really ruining her life. If the prophecy was never told, she could have been free. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I agree wholeheartedly chingu @Ldy Gmerm, but truthfully the mother of his children had so much influence on the children. If these children chose to be neutral, I think they could have been loved by their father. His children mother's were always conspiring to hurt the woman he loved. Ta Ji was actually a good man and if these woman wasn't scheming all the time, he could have frown to care for his wives.

The men in her lives did cause her a lot of pain because their ambitions came first. TBH I blame the prophecy for really ruining her life. If the prophecy was never told, she could have been free. 

 

I agree with you Ta Ji was a good man and he could have found fondness for those additional wives if only because they kept to their place in his life and did not expect more from him. The fact that they were all jealous , spiteful, conniving shrews hurt them all. He never promised to love any of them and that was the real issue with those women. They took a look at him and wanted him and married him but they never listened to him when he warned them in the beginning that he would never have them in his heart.

 

Then You Ran comes in and she is suppose to be an orphan without a title and he gives her so much attention and care that they never got from him. They kept up so much mess. I found it funny that even though You Ran/Dongge was the lowest on the totem pole she was the one they could not bully or act out on. She tended to turn the tables on them each time. I especially loved when she came back that last time and gave the beads to the Aunt and in her mind said that woman can be the empress but she will have Ta Ji forever. So very true. Nothing those women did gained what they truly wanted and that was that mans love. All they did was anger him.

 

The only woman he had a fondness for was Ga DA who was the former maid of Dongge who married him to provide a smoke screen for them to be together. I loved her character and was sorry when she passed after having her last child. Her loyalty and love for both of them was touching. She never expected more than she got because she knew the score and the reason she married him in the first place. 

 

In the end the Aunt got a clue and tried to tell her niece to not dig too deep into where (the New) You Ran came from as the only other woman he treated that way was you Ran years ago. She saw the writing on the wall and realized they would be the ones at a disadvantage if they cut up. Ta Ji would have killed that girl if she dug too deeply into where You Ran came from in the end. He went to great pains to give her a princess identity after she came back from the dead so he could marry her finally legally and openly. If that idiot girl had raised questions she would have died for sure. She got off before due to Dongge for her life years before but she would not have escaped this time. That is why in the end she was demoted.

 

Even Dongge said that with out that prophecy she would have been able to live a life she wanted. I agree that the prophecy was the trigger but some of the men that she met were a huge issue as well. A lot of them wanted her for her beauty and most wanted her for her beauty and her uniqueness. Only a few truly loved her and 2 were obsessed one was weak and the last was the man that did all he could to love and protect her waiting for her return. 

 

I think I found second brother to be the weak link. HE constantly made promises but wanted her to wait and never followed through. HE knew that he would really never get any power to be able to do anything for her and by the time he managed to do so she could have been finally forced into a marriage with his father or ended up like she almost did married to someone else and dead.  One thing about him is he was totally stupid in the end. If his brother managed to cheat death for Dongee years before and hide her with a new name how is it there is a new woman who looks just like her who calls out his title when he picks her up for her wedding and who knows how to make the lotus cake snack that Dongee use to like or talk about the last real conversation they had after his other brother tried to rape her years ago? The clues that she could be the woman he has been moping about for the last 5 years were all there even if her face no longer has a burn on it or he thought she was dead. 

 

I think the only thing I did not like was they never truly explained to Ta Ji how she got there or where she was found. Of course we maybe were suppose to just think she told him that his 14th brother found her on the battlefield and that is why he was so jealous and did not want her to be alone with him. But I suspect she may not have said specifically where she reappeared and who found her because she knows how Ta Ji is.  If she told him that would explain why he made a point to introduce the 14th brother to his new sister in law. Ta Ji told her no to hanging out with his brother because he knows how his brothers are or men in general. NO man who met her would not want to keep her and I feel like he saw the writing on the wall for the 14th brother and was trying to nip that in the bud. He told her she can only belong to him. Where it was creepy when his dad said it years before it was hot when he does because his is born out of love for her and she has been his since the day he was born and she first held him in her arms and named him.

 

I have re-watched this drama so much and then I skip to the episodes that I like the most and re-watch them.. lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the end of 2018 and I am just returning to this drama.  I am surprised by how much I remember. I hope that all the episodes have been subed in English.  It is a pity that more people have not found or commented on this drama.  I think many dramas outside of the country of origin, do not get much traction if they are not picked up by one of the major screening companies such as Vicki. 

Great story, I hope that eventually more people will find it and watch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...