[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

I ABSOLUTELY loved this drama till episode 13, I didn't like the ep 14 missing memories part but when almost everyone got their memories back in ep 15 I was like ok fair enough not bad and then wth happened in ep 16? Someone needs to tell me the point of killing EVERYONE and then reincarnation? I was sincerely hoping there won't be any reincarnation but wow not even 1 but 3 reincarnations? I kind of understand grim reaper and sunny's reincarnation since the happy ending for them wasn't really possible with one being human and the other a grim reaper but what the freaking point of killing ji Eun Tak? the ending didn't satisfy me at all :( I was hoping an ending where they would be living in goblin's home happy and all and this ending just seems so empty :( and Deokhwa was not even shown after 20 or what something years!!!! I will just assume deokhwa got his memories back as well, sunny and grim reaper matter somehow worked out , ji euntak and goblin got married and the scene where they were singing a song in their off tone voices is the ending scene :bawling:

• Like 10

So sorry.. i was being judgmental about the ending after reading all the live recap.. (woahh i thought i can accept it with open heart)... probably because i'm afraid knetz will bashing KGE again for it... (without realizing, i was being like them and bashing the tvn)... but now after watching it properly... it's beautiful.. the whole story was beautiful... the ending was beautiful too.. knowing and being her, reading all different insights and theories was beautiful... definitely one of my fav drama.. thanks guys... see u guys in another thread...

• Like 11

Hi guys, just finished watching the ending.

SAD LOVE has been the theme through the drama, I didn't expect much other than sad love-ending ish. I found the ending both beautiful and empty, empty because it left us with a weird closure, we KNOW ET will die every "80+/-" years, because that's the human lifespan, meaning the Goblin life will be in a loop forever so there is nothing more for us to guess or question and ET will have to be reborn to find dokkaebi everytime. That was KES's closure on the matter. At the same time, it was beautiful because nothing lasts forever, especially not the fragile human life, not even a punishment lasts forever. There is forgiveness and there is mercy, if you may. 

I actually feel I got to see everything I wanted and NOT wanted, usually some dramas leave you feeling one way or the other either bitter or overly hyped. This one made me feel content, OK and acceptance.

I do believe the old grandpa we saw in the end was Deok hwa, so we actually got to see him as well, if I'm not mistaken. I feel we got to see every aspect of life, happy moments, sad moments, frail moments. We got to see a wedding (which I NEVER imagined) and also there wasn't any loose threads and we got to see that sunny and wang yeo also got their happy ending. 

Simple and beautiful as someone said. 

• Like 8

So sorry.. i was being judgmental about the ending after reading all the live recap.. (woahh i thought i can accept it with open heart)... probably because i'm afraid knetz will bashing KGE again for it... (without realizing, i was being like them and bashing the tvn)... but now after watching it properly... it's beautiful.. the whole story was beautiful... the ending was beautiful too.. knowing and being here, reading all different insights and theories was beautiful... definitely one of my fav drama.. thanks guys... see u guys in another thread...

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, nina22 said:

I have a similar feeling. Two dramas in my heart - "Faith"  and now again "Goblin".

I have the explanation. Only in these two dramas, I felt real love, not acting. 

So sad.......

Hi chingu,

I agree. There was only one other drama that gave me the same feeling, especially in an open ending. The thing about Faith and this drama, and why i can accept this ending is the expression of the eyes. I. FAITH, both were tearing up and smiling when met each other when finally the portal took her to Daejang again. I was mad that they didn't hug. I mean after all they went through, at least a hug. But as i thought about it, i told myself that their love was able to finally surpassed Time. And when they met each other, they cried for finally seeing each other again and they smiled at realizing that they can be together once more.

Goblin, if i think about it through once more, gives me that same understanding. Goblin was left all alone which i cuss out and then cried with him. After all he went through, i wanted him to get a break. Poor guy needs a real break from all this deity things. Then i realized, he made the choice to stay behind. And he made the choice to wait for her. And believe it or not, i felt that this time was different than his first goblin 900 years. This time, his waiting was more bearable and enduring because he knew ET will eventually come to find him. He missed her a lot. But he knew they will see one another again, just didn't know when. And behold when they met, there it was. The expression of their eyes, filled with tears and a smile. KS smile was no longer a sad smile..but a relieved and happy one, a smile that spoke in terms of surpassing Time and even Death. Finally, they can be together again. This time, with no more GR always looking for her and no more seeing ghosts and not as a missing soul. This time, they can really be together. And to KS, the wait was worth it. He was happy to see and be with her again. ET too cried and smile, thinking that she has finally found her goblin again.

True love, not in forms of physicality, but in the expressions of their faces. Their happiness to seeing each other once more..made me happy for them too. 

I am not going to think about the could haves or the what ifs. Since KES chose this ending, I will accept it with my own understanding. And this is the best one I came. There is a reason why i really loved Faith and still do. The reason is..the love shown between the couple are way beyond words, beyond a hug and a kiss. The love is in both their eyes and smiles. This persistence is what makes me love a couple a lot. KS and ET are only the second couple that gave me the same feeling, given that it reminded me of Faith ending. Their love was in their eyes at the ending. And their smiles told me that they will be happy together. That's all i want for my Goblin and his bride. If they are happy then i am happy too, for them. Whatever follows..i believe they will deal with anything together again. That's all that matters. Togetherness, one soul, one heart. This is their beginning. It's not the end of their love story.

Look at our GR and Sunny. They got to be together too, finally. 

I am happy. 

This is still one of my favorite dramas and couples. KS and ET are like Faith Daejang and Eun Soo in their love to each other. Not many couples can earn a spot like that with me :wub:

• Like 20

A part of me is glad it was happy ending and a part of me is disappointing that it was a sad love after all. It kind of feels like it all started over again rather than ended. It would have made more sense to have him turn into a human or have her turn into a goblin. I know the writer chose to keep him as a goblin because it adds up to the parts of her still summoning him and how she will regain her memories. So I was hoping to see ET become a goblin herself and they live a long and happy life. Other than that it was really nice seeing Sunny&WY's happy ending..

Anyways, it was nice being on this forum and knowing you all:)

tumblr_ok5292mnxP1s3irc6o1_500.gif

tumblr_ok5292mnxP1s3irc6o2_500.gif
pics from tumblr. credits to owner.

• Like 22

I just so hope that after Eun Tak 4th life end, Kim Shin can cross over with her! I don't know I will tell myself that over and over even if this is not possible.

1 hour ago, janeeta said:

I think now that people have calmed down and thought it out, they like the ending better. Yes it's bittersweet but its also a good ending. We were gonna be disappointed no matter what ending they gave us because Goblin ending is the biggest disappointment of all.

I was the one who went into a rage mode after reading the recaps (and thanks for all of the recaps, forgot to say it).

Now I watched the subs, reading all of the theory (meaningful ending and so on), dive myself into eastern perspective and try to mend myself.

But still, I FEEL EMPTY.. Indeed it is a very welldone drama, meaningful, indeed it is full of message but boy how I still feel so ache. I lost my parents and grandparents few years ago and the wound is not healed yet. It hurts no matter how many people say "there is a meaning behind something" or "they have had happy life". Loosing hurts in the way that I put empathy to KS (so much). I know there is a wedding and so on but it does not erase the fact that KS need to suffer centuries with pain of losing although it is his own choice to be immortal.

Pfff.. like KS, it is my choice to watch this drama, the shining and LONELY goblin. 

Perhaps I am greedy, perhaps a simple Donald Duck material :(

sorry chingus for the rant.. the ending brings back a ton of painful memory. Kudos for the actors/ers

• Like 13

how's the ratings guys? i really hope they set a new record for tvn.

kim go eun's acting is no joke. may she be a student or adult. this girl deserves awards!!! same with gong yoo. he is so handsome & his acting is still as great as ever. thank you writer-nim for a great drama & also to the awesome pd-nim. you are jjang!!!!!!!!

• Like 10

The ending was very much bittersweet for me,cried my eyes out at both deaths,Eun Tak's and Sunny's as well...I guess with age i became way more sensible and cry more often than a few years ago...If till now i really considered Lee Seung Gi's Kang Chi(Gu Family Book) as the most sad supernatural character out there but now i think Shin outwins him mainly because of the tragedy that marks his whole life and goes one for eternity...A life sparked with happiness here and there,bliss that can be called true happiness yet it is still marked by tragedy,sadness and loneliness, just like the title of this drama...While i felt sad for all our main four my heart hurt the most for Shin hands down...He is a man who suffered so much and will continue on,even if it was his choice to remain...My heart hurt especially when he was all alone in the blackfield and was saying that all the people dear to him left him and he is yet again alone...Reaper had his fare share of sadness and punishment for his sins and i actually really appreciate the writer for pointing out more than once that his biggest punishment was because he took his own life,hope this will be a message that people will keep in mind even more in a country,just like Japan,the suicide rate is alarming...God was really kind with him to end his punishement at the same time when Sunny lifespam ended and permited him to walk the afterlife with her,what i want to believe in Heaven, till he was granted to be reincarnated and meet her again and love her...Again,showing kindess to the three of them,Shin included,to be reincarnated with the same face,just as Shin forgave him and became his friends and was surronded by much love,even by the fellow Reaper,God indeed was much more kind with Wang Yeo overwall i must say...Being Sunny's 4th reincarnation she indeed harvested and meet at last her happy ending with her soulmate...I actually loved their ending and it gave a happy conclusion to their story that started as a sad love story and ended as a very beautiful new start...I hinted for some time that something will happen to Eun Tak as the Reaper pointed out she will meet another one at the age of 29 and in episode 15 he pointed it out again,that was a very clear sign something will come and the teaser of Shin crying with sorrow while hugging her made it all clear even before..Gong Yoo really shined in that sad scene while binding farewell to Eun Tak,i could clearlyy feel his deed sorrow and suffering...Eun Tak really is an angel and without a doubt God rewarded her for her act of sacrificing her life to save those many kids...Neverless she did keep her promise and come to him this time around and found him and more than sure she will find him in all her remaining lives as they are soulmates yet rather than a happy ending i'lll take it as bittersweet because Shin,even if now he has a purpose of waiting and knows someone will come,it is still sad for me knowing he will have to bear again the sadness of parting with her and wait again and again not to mention his constant torture along the way,those 9 hard years while in limbo and after 30 of waiting all alone after his sole friend left as well...

Overwall this drama made a great impact in my life and will remain in my heart for a very long time...It just became one of my favorite KES stories and it was a very deep one...I'm glad Gong Yoo accepted the role,because only he could be Shin just like i'm happy that Lee Dong Wook never gave up till he moved the writer's heart and let him be Reaper because no one could do it better than him...I know many people have mixed opinions about Kim Go Eun and more about Eun Tak as an overwall character but i loved her and is of now one of my favorite KES lady heroines she ever wrote...I found her perfect just the way she was and truly the other half of Shin...

Hope Gong Yoo will eventually choose again to star in a drama after Goblin and not remain in Changmuro as i'm selfish and i want more drama projects with him,way too little drama content to be satisfied in the long run..Watched them all over the years and re-watched so hope he will do at least some more as he can still be a leading material for quite the time even if he is not in his 20's anymore unlike some people think...I'd love to see him in a sageuk after giving as a taste here(even if i must say in ep 14 his mane of glory was damn distracting as i could clearly see his real hair from the extensions),a drama in the Japanease Ocupation period as well(because he damn rocks it in tha period,Thank u Age of Shadows)and even something like a thriller would be amazing...

Last but not least the score of this drama is beyond amazing,i can't stop my appreciation posts...The BGM is outstanding and while i still feel rather sad as they didn't release the original versions of "Beautiful" and "Who are You" overwall the OST and BGM are 10/10...My heart will still cry wishing to hear the full ver of Beautiful though

Thanks a lot fellow comrades fro this long yet beautiful journey and this insightful,fun and amazing thread i was lucky to be part of it and hope to meet most of u in the other upcoming dramas threads as well and enjoy the ups and downs of the characters that make us cry and laugh and overwall make or lives a little bit better:heart:

• Like 21

The ending really make my day bloom. I Hope for happy ending even though it's only drama....but I don't know when I can see GY in drama again..I can't.wait for another 10 yrs...I getting old he also aging.......

So my decision I keep ep 16..I just watch until ep 15 if I am ready I watch 16

• Like 6

So sorry.. i was being judgmental about the ending after reading all the live recap.. (woahh i thought i can accept it with open heart)... probably because i'm afraid knetz will bashing KGE again for it... (without realizing, i was being like them and bashing the tvn)... but now after watching it properly... it's beautiful.. the whole story was beautiful... the ending was beautiful too.. all the casts and crews have work beautifully.. the writing was beautiful.. knowing and being here, reading all different insights, speculation and theories was beautiful... definitely one of my fav drama.. thanks guys... see u guys in another thread...

So sorry.. i was being judgmental about the ending after reading all the live recap.. (woahh i thought i can accept it with open heart)... probably because i'm afraid knetz will bashing KGE again for it... (without realizing, i was being like them and bashing the tvn)... but now after watching it properly... it's beautiful.. the whole story was beautiful... the ending was beautiful too.. all the casts and crews have work beautifully.. the writing was beautiful.. knowing and being here, reading all different insights, speculation and theories was beautiful... definitely one of my fav drama.. thanks guys... see u guys in another thread...

• Like 11

I'm totally gutted by the ending and couldn't sleep the whole night

i understand why it was written that way, and she did drop a lot of hints and explanations why. 

1) Old couple waited 75 years, finally reuniting in death = waiting for love is worth the wait 

2) ET saying she was still a missing soul and would live each day as if it's the last 

BUT my heart aches and ache for poor goblin. The endless waiting... now even without GR to keep him company for eternity. Plus if the writer has saying humans only have 4 lifetimes than what is he to do after ET doesn't reincarnate anymore!!! 

Also, anyone else felt episodes 15 and 16 sort of stuck of like a sore thumb.. the editing was so choppy compared to the pace of the rest of the story. 

Hated the ending big time!!!! 

• Like 10

Wow many people praised the ending..:wub:Im still need to wait 5 hours more...

Last night Im thinking...cannot sleep thinking about this..Life ET is so cruel...She will died about heart attack in 29 years old.Then she lost all family,abused auntie,anyone scared to her because she speak to ghost and more makes my cry so much...

God know real pain to ET..Thats why give true love kim shin for her life include the reincanation..Its me feel happy she already get the happines although just short already...

Why I want to cry write all these...sad love..:(

• Like 4

Knetz comments for the last episodes: 

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.my/2017/01/tv-spoilers-goblin-finale.html?m=1

Article: "I'll wait 200 years for you" 'Goblin' Gong Yoo ♥ Kim Go Eun's happy ending

Source: Mydaily via Naver

1. [+22,110, -147] Still can't help but feel bad for the goblin... what sin did he commit that he has to endure watching her die in the future and being alone once again ㅠㅠ

2. [+16,144, -204] Because the weather's great... because it's not... because it's decent... but all my days watching 'Goblin' were the happiest...

3. [+11,539, -278] So glad both couples were reincarnated to meet again ㅎㅎ a happy ending!!

4. [+12,066, -528] They said that it's hard to be reincarnated with the same face so how did all three get reincarnated with the same face again..

5. [+2,906, -77] Can't believe it ended like that...

6. [+3,914, -427] Am I the only one who found the ending empty...

7. [+2,478, -91] Wait a second, I'm not ready to let the drama go yet. What happened to the screentime of the last episode...? Anyway, thank you for giving me the greatest drama of my life

8. [+2,284, -61] So what's the goblin's fate? If Ji Eun Tak is born again, does he have to get another kid and get married or what?

9. [+1,888, -36] The ending really has no difference between happy and sad..

10. [+2,027, -85] Yeah.. something really felt empty about the ending ㅜㅜ

11. [+1,958, -66] Felt pretty empty after the ending

12. [+1,753, -54] Should've just ended it with Ji Eun Tak becoming a goblin so the two of them live forever as goblins..

13. [+1,618, -48] I'm left with more questions of why than feeling happy over the ending... Even if Kim Go Eun died, it would've been better to give her the powers of a goblin's bride since she did a good deed... What was the point of giving him 9 years of pain, of 30 yeras of pain... the entire drama just felt like I was living out the torture of the goblin.

-

Source: Nate

1. [+748, -43] It was a filling last episode... and everyone got a happy ending. Will we never find out about Dukhwa though?

2. [+621, -24] I felt that the ending was so rushed. Dukhwa wasn't even in the episode. The drama could've been so much better if it was extended to around 24 episodes. Still glad it was a happy ending.

3. [+524, -7] But the goblin's sword has already been taken out. So if the goblin's bride lives all four lives and dies, what happens to the goblin? He's alone forever?

4. [+41, -0] It's a happy ending but I'm left with nothing but sadness for the goblin who will always be left on his own to wait for everyone

5. [+33, -0] The goblin's the most unfortunate of them all ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

-

1. [+244, -4] This is probably the most serious work that Kim Eun Sook has ever written. I did felt that the ending was dragged about it but I loved the drama the best, moreso than 'Descendants of the Sun'. Life and death, reincarnation, the goblin and the grim reaper... even at an older age, all of these elements came together for an interesting story.

2. [+216, -6] My breath caught in my throat at how handsome Gong Yoo looked in his tux at the wedding scene

3. [+203, -6] The goblin who stays by your side, the bride who loves and remembers him, the grim reaper and the actress who got their happy ending... I'm satisfied with the ending. Sure if you nitpick at everything like the sword, the memories, the reincarnation then it's endless the questions you can come up with ㅜㅜ but it shows an important lesson that it doesn't matter how many lives you've lived already, as long as you live your best life in this moment together ㅜㅜ

4. [+21, -1] Eun Tak will die in her new life again... and she only has two more reincarnations left. The goblin will never age or die... I'm just left with so many more questions. It's a drama so I understand it has to end but the questions are distracting me so much ㅠ I feel so bad for the goblin for having to suffer for thousands for more years ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ

5. [+19, -2] The 14th episode felt like the last episode... today's just felt like it was dragged out. Random car accident killing Eun Tak which had no correlation to the plot... I understood the drama's message of how people live and die so every moment should be lived like it's your last... Thank you for the drama, I enjoyed it ^^

-

1. [+795, -12] Wow, Gong Yoo looked legendary with his bangs up like that ㅋㅋ I always knew he was handsome.. but not this handsome! He looked good in his tux too :)

2. [+573, -7] Oh come on ㅠㅠ didn't even get any newlywed scenes ㅠ He waited 939 years for her but dating and marriage all took place in a year and a few months ㅠ not fair

3. [+538, -5] Ah... I feel so sad overall for all of them.. for the goblin, his bride, the grim reaper, Sunny... Is the message of the drama that that's just how life is? ㅠㅠ

4. [+69, -1] I feel like Gong Yoo's punishment is way too much for the severity of his sin. Even a serial killer wouldn't be punished like this ㅜ

5. [+33, -1] The god is too harsh on the goblin. It's just not fair! And if you think about it, the god is actually the scriptwriter so Kim Eun Sook why oh why does he have to be tortured so ㅠ He has to wait too long to be able to see her for such a short period of time... He waited all those decandes, thousands of years... Who cares if it's a happy ending when he has to wait thousands of years again after she dies? So cruel, so cruel.

• Like 15