[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

11 hours ago, hushhh said:

Well, the end is almost here.

I watched some of episode 14.  The sound and the picture fell out of sync around the telephone call at the radio station and it came frustrating to follow.

I was okay with how they handled the memory loss.

Disappointed that there is no discernible difference in DH in over nine years.  (I'm sure packmule3 will be able to identify the way in which DH has grown up but I haven't)

My heart broke for ET, going through the depths of despair without understanding why.  In fact it seems the worst combination. Worst then the Grim Weeper's no memory no pain, and Shin's all memory and pain.  A long time about I use to be engulfed in a blanket of despair from time to time without understanding why. It wasn't anyway near ET's despair, but it was uncomfortable. Once I was able able to identify my trigger, when the despair showed up, I knew what it was and that it would leave after a time. It made me better able to cope. 

Reveal hidden contents

I could deal with it with the same aplomb of Miss Holiday.

By the way I think it was a brilliant use of a drama time jump.

1. Shin will have to win ET heart from scratch without her assuming that being with him was her destiny.

2. ET is now fully an adult and Shin's equal.  Therefore they can get on with their relationship without the folks who were concerned about the age difference having issues. (I hope.) Of course the age difference is the same but it feels different when ET is indisputably an adult, AND Shin didn't raise her or watch her grow up.

3. LDW was hired because he is able to cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry.  I hope they take care to keep him hydrated on set.

4. Shin's face when hugging ET on the roof after nine years was an amazing bit of acting on Gong Yoo's part.

5. The class president's role is all this just niggles at me. She cannot be an ordinary friend to ET because that would not justify her being alerted when Shin disappeared. Was it because she was human and was aware of ET's relationship to ghosts.  Was she also aware of ET's relationship to the Goblin? I've been know to make more of this and that than the writer intended, but I can't hell but feel the class president is a sleeper cell guardian there to watch over ET.   I'm most likely wrong.

6. I'm not sure how to deal with the fact that there is no transformation for Shin.  The sword is out, there are nine years in purgatory/limbo, and he returns as a Goblin.  SMH on that one.

I haven't had a chance to back read because I have a lingering cough that is forcing me to play Alexandre Dumas's Camille. 

Hide contents

I thought I might die on the way to class today.  I survived, barely.  I'm resting up because want to protest on Saturday and I have to direct all day Sunday starting at 7:00 a.m. which is hell.  I try very hard not to get up before noon since I'm usually incoherent before then

I hope I will have the time and energy to read the positives responses to the work.

@selenette

@hushhh I missed the golden comment that is you coughing as Camille. Thank you, I could do with a hearty laugh today. I'm officially Miss Havisham now, I'd stop the clocks and pretend we're still on Ep 1.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, seasonsoftheheart32 said:

I loved the ending.

The world needs a goblin who is actually fairly responsible when it comes to human dealings, as opposed to that butterfly who likes to wander around and possess people to spy on other people. 

For those who wonder why the butterfly god couldn't have given the goblin another chance/the chance to be mortal/some other thing that KS decides to beg for, KS answered that back when the Paris boy died.

'Too many people repeatedly beg me for more miracles after the first one, as if I owe them miracles that they deserve.'

Everything that happened from the end of Episode 13 was of KS's free will. He chose to not move on to the afterlife. He chose to remain in limbo and try to get back to ET. He chose to get to know the new her. He chose to get married with her and live their happy (albeit short) married life. 

Even when ET died, he didn't blame anyone (as he used to do, thinking everything was god's fault/idea/machinations). KS has also grown up through this drama, with the help of ET and all the others around him. He makes his own choices, and chooses his own life to live. By the end of the drama, he no longer stays at the edge of human life as a passer-by, but lives on as happily as he can be to the best of his ability (as ET said to him when Chairman Yu died, and again when ET died).

He is, and will always be, a lonely goblin guarding over and guiding humans when necessary. When ET arrives in his life for the next 3 times with her memories intact, those years they spend together will be the great part of his life. That's why he's a lonely and great guardian.

This drama will be one that I will rewatch many many times, as it has taught me a lot about human life. Best drama I have ever watched. Kudos to the cast, KES writer-nim, the directors, and the crew for their hardwork. Thank you for all the wonderful and shining times we had in the past 2 months.

well said, can't agree more!  like you, i'll re-watch this drama many many times too!

And thanks to @alleram95 for the translation for the proposal part (below) because KS's plea to tell ET she was his first love is done!  I mean KS's wishes has all come true, incl. fulfilling his contract with ET, so that's why he doesn't asked for more or blame on God anymore because God's opened door lets him fullfill his wishes already!!!!  So good to know this!

KS: I’m saying this because the weather is good enough and because you are always shining. All of first love that I told you is you. In this good weather, will you be the bride of this man from Goryeo?
ET: Yes. I’ll be the bride of this lonely man. I’ll be this great man first and last bride

Finally thanks to @selenette for mentioning me.  It's so sad to see you and others saying farewell here but I'm sure we'll meet again in another awesome drama thread!  

To those who enjoy KGE & GY's chemistry, feel free to join our thread here created by @janeeta:)

• Like 8

HAJIMAAAA...don't leave yet, chingus!!! We have so many things to look forward to post drama. The dinner, the two special episodes, the trip, interviews, pictorials...I'm gonna be like Deok Hwa, I'll stay here and haunt this place till their trip is over...kekeke

I love the sweet and funny moments of KS and ET today. So many cute scenes. And of course GR and Sunny at the hotel...lol. 

@selenette Thanks for the mention, chingu. Don't leave completely ya. 

• Like 10

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2016/2017] Goblin 도깨비 a.k.a Guardian: The Great and Lonely God - The End | Specials on Feb 4 & 5

Open letter to Fanfic writers!!!

i will appreciate an extension of Goblin and ET in her 2nd, 3rd, and 4th life.I feel like their story is well developed and has opened up a whole world of possibilities! I would love to read about them and see where you creative thinkers take them and the future.

Thanks!

• Like 8

hi @alleram95 thanks for the YT link, the old song and beautiful. and also, thanks for being with us, translating this and that and make us very special bcz your translate make us know first than others which not in this forum. thank you.

hi @selenette thanks for tag me, this thread is my first thread that I join with my soul, hahaha, I never reply this much, I only a silent lurker before this.

and, all the immortal brides here, thanks for the time being.

to my unie @Visually-wandering thanks for your beautiful picture and wallpaper, for @andy78 who always recap in fri sat night, for @itzibitzispider @bebebisous33 @staygold @shynaz @LyraYoo @janeeta @nearsea @soultree and soooo many brides who have insightful theories. thank you so much, and also I'm sorry if I have unintentional hurtful words.

let's meet in other thread, and have fun together again.

tumblr_inline_ok37z7x5bM1s1ll8k_500.gif

tumblr_inline_ok37zedcnT1s1ll8k_500.gif

• Like 18

Still cant let go of the ending for ShinTak..... sorry for my mood swings and ramble. But i cant help to not be sad for KS. Eventho ET death is unavoidable but.... still...... :tears: to know that he'll get through that pain of loosing ET again and again not to mention the years of waiting. 

Eventho it was his choice to be that way, but still..... why it have to be this bittersweet?! In my head i'm still replaying thousand and thousands of alternate endings that i prefer it to be. Hufff. I guess tonight i'll be having a hard time sleeping. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, alleram95 said:

my last translation for goblin... episode 16 

(not 100% accurate)

Hide contents

WY: She said that she won’t give any news. It has come
WY: My last work
KS: Goodbye
WY: Be well
KS: Be happy whenever it is and whatever you become
WY: You have lived well. Don’t make it rain
KS: Don’t worry

---'

WY: I want to put this ring on you properly. I’m sorry that I couldn’t do it properly last time
SN: I missed you dearly
WY: I knew it. You are my last deceased soul
SN: I see. So what will happen to us later? Will we have happy ending?
WY: Your last life is your 3rd life
SN: How about you?
WY: I’m not sure
SN: So this might be your last chance too/ it is your last work too
WY: Your brother has come. He’s outside
KS: You didn’t change at all
SN: I feel good that I can see you again after a long time
KS: My brother-in-law (?) live well too
SN: I’m sorry for going first and leaving you behind. Please be healthy. Let’s meet each other again
KS: Be happy, my ugly sister

Thank you so much for the translation. Now i understand why grims followed sunny. She was his last soul. And he told kim shin too about his last work. Awww..that's so touching. 

• Like 4