[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

Just a sudden thought chinggu...what if..I mean what if, the last few eps was just KS's vision of the future? So now he knows, means he can 'meddle' the future (you know something like Groundhog day kind of meddle and also similar to when he visioned the bus which ET was on that should meet with an accident). What if? What if? (I watched the last epilogue..probably that was the case.)  :grin: #hopingthedeathscenetobejustavision

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hairuchii said:

I believe this is what he said..? Although I have been having private Korean language lessons, I still read better than I listen.

"나도. 사랑한다. 맞다.... 그것 까지 의미가 이였다." (Nado... Saranghanda. Matta... keugeot kkaji euimiga iyotta.)

Translation: Me too... I love you. That's right. I have done so from that time.

Ah thanks a lot! I knew I had heard it; it was faint but it was there!! That 맞다!!

Thinking back, I thik that moment of realization then, him realizing that he had loved her might be related to that last scene, the one after the credits and in the restaurant in Quebec. That when he had seen her future self, he already loved her then. That vision, that moment when teh vision happened, he was already loving her? Perhaps?

Or is he referrring to some other moment that we don't know just yet?...

I am asking a friend (@misshoggy) for that last part...

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

Ah thanks a lot! I knew I had heard it; it was faint but it was there!! That 맞다!!

Thinking back, I thik that moment of realization then, him realizing that he had loved her might be related to that last scene, the one after the credits and in the restaurant in Quebec. That when he had seen her future self, he already loved her then. That vision, that moment when teh vision happened, he was already loving her? Perhaps?

Or, could he be referring to the first time he saw her in his vision of the future? When he saw Eun Tak through the past life of her teacher. This vision might have held more significance to him, other than the vision of the modern world, because of Eun Tak, since he has remembered it all this time. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-14%20at%201.09.0

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

18 minutes ago, hairuchii said:

I believe this is what he said..? Although I have been having private Korean language lessons, I still read better than I listen.

"나도. 사랑한다. 맞다.... 그것 까지 의미가 이였다." (Nado... Saranghanda. Matta... keugeot kkaji euimiga iyotta.)

Translation: Me too... I love you. That's right. Since that time, I have done so.

Comments:

I read somewhere on this thread that "사랑한다" (Saranghanda) is old language. Not necessarily. It's just on the same level of politeness as "사랑해요", perhaps a little more respectful.. It makes Kim Shin's honest confession all the more poignant, as he holds her tenderly. He feels so much respect for her, and she is so precious to him.

The last sentence "그것 까지 의미가 이였다" should have been literally translated as "that meaning had been there 'since' then". This is the case of the language not being as easily translated into English and still retain its intended meaning. 

I have some issues with "그것 까지" if I have not misheard what Kim Shin said... because it should translate into "till then" or "until that time". For his words to mean "I have loved you SINCE that time". It should have been "그때부터 의미가 이였다" (I have loved you since that time..). I guess it's understandable why there are so many conflicting translations. Dramafever and VIU have both translated this sentence as "I have loved you since then".

I am waiting for anyone who could determine what Kim Shin said exactly. I hope this is of some help though!

?? Actually I took I to mean: "That's right... that (having found love) made it [the 900 yrs of loneliness coming to an end) worth it"

" 의미"= meaning/significance....

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, hairuchii said:

Or, could he be referring to the first time he saw her in his vision of the future? When he saw Eun Tak through the past life of her teacher. This vision might have held more significance to him, other than the vision of the modern world, because of Eun Tak, since he has remembered it all this time. 

I also thought about that but it was sooooo faint... that would be crazy if it was the case!!

• Like 3

@hartofseeker and @hairuchii - so @misshoggy says that he said: I love you. That's Right. I'm already there (literally: 'I've reached this stage"). 사랑한다, 맛다, 그거까지 이미 하였다

She also said that he is doing old Goryeo speak, which is interesting.

And she added that usually, he uses banmal with her (informal style), but at this point, he shows his true self. It makes it even more poignant!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, carolinedl said:

@hartofseeker and @hairuchii - so @misshoggy says that he said: I love you. That's Right. I'm already there (literally: 'I've reached this stage"). 사랑한다, 맛다, 그거까지 이미 하였다

She also said that he is doing old Goryeo speak, which in interesting.

This fits the context too! The context of how he has "reached this stage" of his emotional development for her. 

• Like 5

YO WE NEED A SUPPORT GROUP THERE WAS TOO MANY TEARS, A PASSIONATE KISS THAT ENDED UP BEING A GOODBYE KISS, AND FRIGGIN THE GOBLIN IS GONE I DONT KNOW WHO OR WHAT TO TURN TOOO

I KNOW IM NOT SUPPOSED TO BEG TO THE GODS BECAUSE THEY ARENT LISTENENING BUT HEAR ME OUT YOU LITTLE UNFAIR AND ANNOYING STUBBORN GOD YOU ARE MAKING MY BABIES HAVE A HAPPY ENDING OKAY! DO YOU HEAR ME! IF THEY DONT I WILL GRAB YOUR BUTTERFLY FORM BY THE ANTENNA AND MAKE YOU SHOW YOUR FACE! 

WHO ELSE NEEDS A SUPPORT GROUP!

GROUP HUG PLEASE...

I HAVE IT ALL PLANNED OUT MY HAPPY ENDING.

the goblin comes back on the first snow and materalizes, maybe becoming a chairman or boss or something idk... and he may not rmemeber but he will. also then the grim reaper is no longer  a grim reaper and can be human and FINALLY him and sunny can do what they couldnt in their past life, which is actually love one another. eun tak is still the goblins bride but idc if she can see ghosts or not really, as long as her and shin are together. They get married and their kid marries the wind power kid later, and tae hee is their uncle, along with deok hwa, and so is reaper and sunny is the cool but quirky aunt. Samshin grandma is happy and the stupid stubborn god doesnt mess with peoples lives

Edited by Dramaniac
I NEED CLOSURE
  • Like 10

This drama is so perfect thus I totally don't mind all those very minor flaw observed since in real life, this always happened too.

Most important is the plot and the characters in it. The plot and the script was superbly written. All characters are so alive.

My two thumbs up for this drama. And as usual, when there's a good drama being aired, I was hoping that the episodes be extended or have another season. After a while, I've to come to this this conclusion; rather that extending the drama, please make another "much better" drama/movie. That way, it will be more interactive.

I strongly believe, there will be more surprises in the next three episodes. Waiting anxiously with lots of :heart:.

• Like 7

그것 까지...

I think it started when he first uttered the words "I Love You" to Euntak in the hotel (0:58 ET: Do you love me? KS: If you need me to, I will say even THAT. I love you)

Then again when he confessed to her on the ski lodge (1:14 ET: Did you love me? no? KS: I'm afraid, That's why I want you to keep saying you need me. To ask me to do even THAT...)

and then when Euntak was about to die (0:48 ET: I need you. Do THAT too. I love you.)

• Like 19

Hi all!

have any of you guys come across a series of Youtube videos in Mandarin discussing spoilers/minor details in the show? 

I remember watching one last week discussing about the 3 ghost sisters (1 was the fortune teller that told Sunny to stay away from the man in the black hat, 1 was the farmer ghost, and 1 hasn't been revealed). I can't find that video in my Youtube history, perhaps one of you may have watched it. THe original is probably not from Youtube, but that's where I watched it. 

I'd definitely like to rewatch some of those videos and be able to share it with the forum here :) Since it is in mandarin (although I'm not fluent), I don't mind sharing some plot points (under a spoilers tab ofc) if you guys would like. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Dramaniac said:

YO WE NEED A SUPPORT GROUP THERE WAS TOO MANY TEARS, A PASSIONATE KISS THAT ENDED UP BEING A GOODBYE KISS, AND FRIGGIN THE GOBLIN IS GONE I DONT KNOW WHO OR WHAT TO TURN TOOO

I KNOW IM NOT SUPPOSED TO BEG TO THE GODS BECAUSE THEY ARENT LISTENENING BUT HEAR ME OUT YOU LITTLE UNFAIR AND ANNOYING STUBBORN GOD YOU ARE MAKING MY BABIES HAVE A HAPPY ENDING OKAY! DO YOU HEAR ME! IF THEY DONT I WILL GRAB YOUR BUTTERFLY FORM BY THE ANTENNA AND MAKE YOU SHOW YOUR FACE! 

WHO ELSE NEEDS A SUPPORT GROUP!

GROUP HUG PLEASE...

I'm sorry to cut your post. I can join the group hug. I was devastated and somehow I can't cry, but this episode really hit the correct part of my heart (and head) for the sadness and I feel lost, I can't even cry. We all foreseen this scenario and it's happened. Sigh....I was speechless (or typeless - this can be a new word for me), that I can't even bring myself to type anything until now. :bawling:

Come, group hug, group hug.
I waiting for a happy ending since we still have another 3 episodes, please please at least let us see KS again not in flashback.

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

oh you right. he didnt kill him with the sword but strangle him till death. So means he died before the king. 

I think I remember the same thing like you. 

So, at this time, we didnt see the king.. I think there is a time jump here maybe. He was back when he was already a goblin. Means that there was a time he sleep in his death and then ressuracted after some time as a goblin. 

Ok.. I get it now.

I think 20 years has gone by since KS died and then became the goblin (according to PJW, during episode 12)

• Like 3

@seasonsoftheheart32 

I don't remember at all what the titles were at all, but thanks for the heads up!

I watched 1 full video, and it was narrated by a female voice, using clips of scenes and doing voiceovers over them. The channel had 8 or 9 videos, I'm not sure if each video was dedicated to an episode or just for order of upload purposes. Is this the same series you're referring to? 

• Like 4