[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

30 minutes ago, faidaris said:

This drama is insanely good! I mean, right now I am seriously feeling numb, confused, anxious, nervous, sad.... and this is watching without Eng sub, with live stream going on and off. What is going on now? Only at Episode 8! I honestly cannot predict how the plot is going to turn out. Is JET going to die? Or our handsome Goblin going to die? What is going to happen in the next 9 years until we can see JET in that restaurant? Now that I see this, maybe there are more surprises in store from the brilliant writer-nim that we could never predict and tell. One week to go, how am I going to survive this one week now :bawling:

i'm having the same symptom by just reading... how is that possible.. it's too intense...

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, CatWhiskers said:

I have been watching snippets here and there and I can't even.... Why is Kim Shin paying such a heavy price? Why can't he just find love and love? My heart... The feels.....

It makes me wonder if something else happened in the past we don't know about?

Or is it that the gods find that his determination to approach the King at the expense of innocent lives (And also the lives of all the people he took on his King's behalf) was worthy of such a punishment? If this crime was so heavy, then how much more heavier will GR, I mean Wang Yeo's punishment be?

Alternatively, is he being punished this much because he interferes in the natural order of things and saves the lives of people who are meant to die? JET being his fated bride is a direct result of his messing with the natural order. Therefore, it seems somehow poetic that he suffers because he saved her when she she was not meant to be saved.

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, gutibear said:

The crazy thing is, I forget that this is only fiction. The story is too real, all the characters, the writing, the details make all seems real.

I do hope for a happy ending. No repeat of 'What Happened in Bali' pleasee TT TT

@gutibear My social critic side loves that drama a lot, it challenges the notion of romance bla bla bla, but my normal side says if this is What Happened in Bali v 2.0, this would be carnage. :bawling:

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, millie10468 said:

It makes me wonder if something else happened in the past we don't know about?

Or is it that the gods find that his determination to approach the King at the expense of innocent lives (And also the lives of all the people he took on his King's behalf) was worthy of such a punishment? If this crime was so heavy, then how much more heavier will GR, I mean Wang Yeo's punishment be?

Alternatively, is he being punished this much because he interferes in the natural order of things and saves the lives of people who are meant to die. JET being his bride is a direct result of his messing with the natural order. Therefore, it seems somehow poetic that he suffers because he saved her when she she was not meant to be saved.

I am thinking KS chose to follow King's order knowing it was not good for the people. He may have done it to save the King and his sister. So KS may have chosen his family and friends over the people. Not sure. Just guessing.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, millie10468 said:

I can't even remember if this episode was as funny as it usually is. That last scene is so heavy and weighty that I can't remember the early parts of the episode... :sweatingbullets::cry:

Also, don't we have that BTS of the Red Lady meeting both KS and GR on some street? Wasn't in this episode so sometime next week? But I'm pretty sure KS will be meeting Sunny soon now that the show has clearly identified who she is what they were to each other. I'm hoping he meets her with the GR and JET being present.

By the way, would Sunny still be considered KS's sister when the body is different? Biologically they aren't related but since their souls are, are they still related?

Biologically unrelated but KS will have warm feelings for her, he'll want to protect and help her as a way of redeeming the ways in which he thinks he failed her. That's the thing about having all those memories, he won't be able to see her as "Sunny", as long as he has these memories he'll always see her as his sister.

This is really adding to whatever conflict is coming down the pike between KS and GR. The sword that is KS's blessing and his curse... the sword that pains him yet must remain if he wants to live to love ET... the sword that must be removed if he wants ET to live... was a gift given to him by the King he served, the King for whom he bloodied his hands, the King who would betray him. And now that King is living under his roof and (coincidentally?) has told the woman KS loves that to pull the sword is to kill KS. How could KS's resentment and pain towards GR not once more reach a boiling point? Any normal person would be furious or bitter or extremely hurt in this situation, let alone someone who is literally magically bound to an object stamped with those emotions and more!

• Like 22

4 minutes ago, theseasasleep said:

Biologically unrelated but KS will have warm feelings for her, he'll want to protect and help her as a way of redeeming the ways in which he thinks he failed her. That's the thing about having all those memories, he won't be able to see her as "Sunny", as long as he has these memories he'll always see her as his sister.

This is really adding to whatever conflict is coming down the pike between KS and GR. The sword that is KS's blessing and his curse... the sword that pains him yet must remain if he wants to live to love ET... the sword that must be removed if he wants ET to live... was a gift given to him by the King he served, the King for whom he bloodied his hands, the King who would betray him. And now that King is living under his roof and (coincidentally?) has told the woman KS loves that to pull the sword is to kill KS. How could KS's resentment and pain towards GR not once more reach a boiling point? Any normal person would be furious or bitter or extremely hurt in this situation, let alone someone who is literally magically bound to an object stamped with those emotions and more!

From what I see from TVN short clip, GR/KWB actually didn't say anything to confirm ET's suspicion. I might be wrong of course, need SUB asap. 

• Like 10

@millie10468 I could only hope  for a good end to all this. 8 more episodes. Kim Shin cannot not save her (She being his bride and all and now that he realizes he love her) , all this while he saved her without much of an incident. But it gets bigger and bigger. The cars that were damaged involves other people and the bus full of people fated to die. It does make sense that it will be worse and bigger next time round. 

A confrontation scene is definitely up next episode. I wondered what would Eun Tak do now that she knows the truth. 

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, staygold said:

Also why KES saved this script for him!! She waited for him!!!! This drama needed GY (and all the sponsors who poured the money into it!!!!)

you're right KES always waiting for GY and offered roles to him for 5 years she knows Gong yoo is the only one who can portray character right from light scenes to the most heavy scenes 

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, gutibear said:

From what I see from TVN short clip, GR/KWB actually didn't say anything to confirm ET's suspicion. I might be wrong of course, need SUB asap. 

My understanding from watching it live was he told her off-screen and we only got to watch her reactions. Of course, subs could prove me wrong but that was my impression from watching it.

@jellybellymonster  We were explicitly told in ep 1 by the god voice as KS was resurrected that while his servant's devotion saved his soul, he would be punished for killing so many of god's creations on the battlefield. Of course, in the course of many kdramas things are added, nuances and the like, but the base of his punishment was the blood on his hands. Personally I feel like it's that combined with all those terrible feelings - regret, sorrow, anger, resentment, vengeance - that weigh him down.

But while he has done good by many people while a goblin, he was given a bride because the higher-ups have pretty much decided his time as a goblin has reached its end. Here I am thinking to pull the sword or to not pull the sword, it's all optional but it's not. The game has been rigged. I know he interfered with ET being born, but let's not forget Lady in Red urged  the mother to specifically call out to a god in a time between life and death. The Lady in Red knew KS would be there and wouldn't be able to ignore a plea directed at a god and that once he heard the fetal heartbeat, he'd definitely save mother and child. The game was rigged. He was given a bride who could not survive as long as he remained alive, or however this new wrinkle works. ET gets put on a bus that was always going to crash in order to force KS's hand, etc. We are looking at this in a skewed way - KS, ET, GR and Sunny are being tied into surrounding events to create a desired result. What the ultimate desired result will be is hard to say from the vantage of ep 8. What a ride though, huh?

• Like 21

Thanks to all you amazing folks who took the time & effort to recap especially today being Christmas Eve. 

Just me thinking aloud ..what is considered a happy ending for two immortals & their mortal lovers ?

merry Christmas folks !

I believe that Kim Eun Sook Unnie will give us a happy ending (Praying on my knees)!! Even though right now all of us are going through a hard time with this. She knows that she is playing with our feelings week by week. Oh, she is good alright. For this being her first fantasy drama it is amazingly written. I like this more than DOTS (please don't hate me). I've just seen so many k dramas in my lifetime when a good one comes around with a unique plot AND it works. I can't pass it up. 

What I honestly don't want to see is anyone DIE. Seriously. I don't handle deaths in dramas very well. Especially when I'm so emotionally attached to the characters. I don't want any deaths, either that be in a painful way or "happy" way. For example: Kim shin and ET die in peace and end up in heaven.. or vice verse with GR and sunny. I want to see all four (plus deokhwa) together and living life on EARTH enjoying themselves. That's just my opinion. 

I am putting my trust in Kim Eun Sook. I am going by her words.. not doing devastating ending anymore after that one time.... But then again in k-drama land anything is possible. 

• Like 20

We are in for a heck of a ride now that the cards are on the table and mysteries are revealed. 

The most important word would be 'sacrifice'. One of them has to cease to exist for the other to live. When you truly love someone, it may not be seen as a sacrifice but inevitably one half will be hurt. Will Grim go through with erasing Eun Tak's memories if the sword is pulled? Will Eun Tak pull the sword now that she finally realises what would happen if she does so? When she finds out that if she dies, Dokkaebi will live, will she give up her life?

It looks like Dokkaebi's vision of Eun Tak at 29 showed that she is still alive then and she is meeting someone (a man). He is not seen there. Does that mean he ceased to exist and her memory wiped? Or will she actually be meeting our Kim Shin in mortal form (this is MY wish - get me a floating lantern!)

We still have Grim and Sunny's story to explore. Can a Grim Reaper have a happily ever after with Sunny, not Sun Hee? Is there also going to be some sacrifice on their parts? 

I envision that Dokkaebi will be trying his best to convince his Bride to pull the sword. And the Bride will be trying to leave him in order not to pull the sword. ANGST ahead!

• Like 21

That bus accident scene was shot and edited beautifully!!! Very few TV programs can achieve what Goblin had visually achieved!! LEB has done a massive job!!! Seriously!! reading the script words doing a storyboard and then actually getting the stunt coordinators, camera man and editor to get everything perfect is an awesome effort!!! This scene is going on replay mode for me!! 

• Like 22

8 minutes ago, triplem said:

Thanks to all you amazing folks who took the time & effort to recap especially today being Christmas Eve. 

Just me thinking aloud ..what is considered a happy ending for two immortals & their mortal lovers ?

merry Christmas folks !

everybody become immortals :grin:

• Like 11

From previous episode we know that GR/KWB can't use his power to control ET. So, my next question is if ET did pull the sword and GR/KWB (as KS's request) is to erase her memory, will GR/KWB be able to do it?

Oh dear, actually I once promised myself to stop making assumption on Goblin...it's too far complicated, but I just can't help it.

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, triplem said:

merry Christmas folks !

Your mentioning of happy ending conjures up the cliched images of a happy family in the park with young ones running around. Oddly enough this makes me wonder whether their kids will be immortal or not lol

• Like 6