[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

She should have died at the beginning. She and her mother were never meant to live.

At 9, her mother dies after living on borrowed time for 9 years.

At 19, she becomes the Goblin's Bride. The Grim Reaper comes for her. But the Goblin stops him from taking her.

At 29, I believe she will die. But before that, she will pull out the sword. I think she will only be able to pull out the sword when she turns 29. 

She pulls out the sword. Kim Shin dies. She dies, too, not long after, because she will not be able to live on after his death. 

At the tea drinking ritual, she refuses to drink the tea. She wants to remember everything.She opens the door, and there he is, standing just outside the door, smiling at her,so tall, so straight, so beautiful, his face filled with joy, his eyes shining with love.

The Grim Reaper says, "He's been waiting for you. He's sorry he had to go first. He's sorry he had to leave you alone."

She steps to the other side of the door. They smile at each other. He reaches out his hand to her. She takes it. They link their hands together. Then they turn and ascend the stairs to Heaven.

• Like 23

8 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Q: @30.5

ET is telling GR that she has decided to pull the sword and wants to meet god to yell at him for making goblin so lonely..

TO which GR literally umps on his feet and asks her to think about it because the moment she loses her usefulness.. life may become difficult...

and then he has this perpelexed expression when he realizes that she doesn't know about the consequences, and that more than goblin she believes him because he is always cheering her on.. 

But he has been and continues to support goblin's decision to die..

and quite later in ep he is telling ET about the concept of '9'..

So, my question is, why did GR jump on his feet and ask ET to reconsider - for goblin's sake or for ET's own sake (given no goblin means no protector for her)

I think both!! he started to care for both of them!! when Kim Shin told him that he'll leave even before confirming that Eun Tak is the Goblin's bride he was sad instead of being happy (the super market scene) and now he started to care for her so he knows that Kim Shin's death would mean her death as well because the only way to stay alive is to remain the Goblin's Bride so no Grim Reaper would be able to take her!! 

8 hours ago, triplem said:

Aye!!! :w00t:

Lol, IG owner's caption cracked me up 

hhhhhhhhhhhhh how can I look at real Kim Woo Bin without remembering this Kim Woo Bin?!! :lol: 

6 hours ago, jina_bing_bang said:

@itzibitzispider

I thought he stopped breathing because didn’t it slow down? I may have to go back and watch it..

I'm sorry to cut your post!! if you're talking about the little kid, he didn't die the red coat woman stabilised his condition so he started breathing normally and his heartbeats got to the right status!! 

7 hours ago, SunnySun26 said:

longer preview

thank you so much for the longer preview!! :wub: 

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Oh My God!! Jealous Goblin is HILLARIOUS!! :lol: 

• Like 15

I just remembered that BTS of GY holding flowers that we haven't yet seen. That's probably her graduation, I think.

It would have to be after the accident since she turns 20 in two months.

Unless she graduates before the new year or the next episode time-skips two months and the accident happens after.

I wonder which would be preferred.

• Like 14

Hellow..I just joined this forum and couldn't read back alot, I just read back till 291, so I'm not sure if this already discussed before here... After downloaded episode 6, I rewatch Goblin since episode 1. Honestly I also have some questions, maybe you can help me

(1) I believe writernim have her reason about 19 years old highschool girl and 939 years old Goblin. Maybe she likes "9" or that relates to traditional folks about "9"? Because JET lost her mom at her 9th birthday and her first meeting with GR, then jump 10 years again finally at her 19th birthday officially her first meeting with KS, after whole life she has been marked as goblin's bride. Do you remember drama 2014 "Plus Nine Boys"? Maybe she believes about this unlucky number "9"? Because as we heard explanation from GR that she as missing souls would met GR at 9, 19, 29, 39 right?

(2) When JET and KS first meeting at street, in slow motion, doesn't KS can see future with JET eventhough that's only short? I think there's about Quebec with JET too. In their 2nd meeting, KS can see JET future for 20, 30, 40. KS choose those ages, and as GR said last episodes 10 is perfect number. But suddenly he can see 29 y.o JET? What is the trigger??? And why it is 29?

(3) After KS realized about his feeling, first love. Back to his room suddenly he felt hurt at his chest. Why he felt that? Because he finally his heart back beats again like he was human? Thump, thump, thump... Then he got hurt.

Yeah yeah... I'm waiting for english translation for new teaser for episode 7, the long preview... I'm so curious what movie do they watch till he acts like that? Hahahahahaha... But dunno, so far they always success fooled us with the preview...

• Like 15

6 hours ago, NRGchick said:

Back from holidays to see the same issue pop up on every page?? SIGH.

Caught Ep 5 and 6 while on holidays and in each episode I would end up laughing and crying. 

I think the writer is building a world around the characters and it's still too early to predict how it will go. 

I am looking forward to a jealous Dokkaebi and the ever awkward Grim aka Kim Woo Bin...lols...

Side note: Live filming is happening and we are only at Ep 6. I hope the filming runs smoothly and fans understand that they need to film without interruptions. 

welcome back from your holidays and hope you had great fun during it!! :)

6 hours ago, meifang89 said:

New theory : maybe ET can't pull the sword because it's not her that stab Shin but Shin's Goryeo servant who do that so maybe is the one DH who can pull the sword in the end he also suspicious character like has something beneath that 3rd generation chaebol facade :neutral:

the one who stabbed Kim Shin wasn't related to Deok Hwa's family, he was Kim Shin's follower in militay field!! plus it was obvious from the start that only the Goblin's bride who can pull out the sword!! 

I don't find him suspecious actually!! I liked how he was self aware when Kim Shin told him that the credit card was his reward and he replyed that he did nothing to be rewarded for!! I loved that he didn't go all childishly bragging that he did but was sencere at that moment with Kim Shin!! and when he told him "I love you"!! that was a sweet moment!! 

6 hours ago, vivvianne22 said:
Spoiler

Scene 1

ET : What am I doing alone on my birthday day? Lets just make a wish! Please let me earn a lot of money, let me have a boyfriend, that... What am I doing? God is not exist

*blow off the candle*

KS : Was it you? 

ET : OMG!

KS : Was it you? Did you summon me here?

ET : Me? I didn't summon you. I just can see you, ahjussi.

KS : See me? What do you mean by that?

ET : I can see ghosts. Ahjussi is a ghost

KS : I'm not a ghost

ET : Then what... a goblin?

KS : I'm not that too

*cue to cake suddenly disappear lol*

ET : Whoa, amazing! It's like a fishbone. Just looking at it make me full

Scene 2

KS : He is the rice, the soup, the side dishes, the meat, and the fat. And he was once... a human

Eunuch(?) :  The king of the people, the God of the king. That God is called God of Eating....

King : He eat it all... reverse.... behead that God of Eating

KS : Just like that, he who cannot die forever became Eatggebi (먹깨비)

Spoiler

And then the world is drifting to the unlucky Grim Reaper

KS : Grim Reaper

GR : It's been a long time, eatggebi

KS : I have been accustomed for years. What a very vulgar hat you worn

GR : You're still wearing that extremely dirty high neck shirt?

KS : This is 쫀드기 (this is an old school korean snack back in the day).1 : 0

GR : You still wearing that extremely dirty handkerchief?

KS : This is beef jerky. 2 : 0

Two mortal men and an old human bride

KS : That look delicious

GR : Do you know why we need a knife for the cake?

KS : To cut the cake

GR : To keep the cake from any harm

KS : Then do you know why there's bone in pork feet?

GR ; Why?

KS : To take away the cake!!!

*bickering mode on lol*

ET: Because of that eatggebi, I'm starving to die. He won't take it if I eat in here right? Whoa, the light is off. Perhaps...turn it off means...

*cue to the catwalk scene lol*

ET : Two shots is too much. Are they out of breath after walking? Hot bar? What kind of stupid relationship is that? He is filling with energy, do not come here you pig!!! Don't come! Don't come! Don't come! I'm hungry!

Food cost only 20 billion. Maximum expected work this winter

KS : You really can see it?

ET : If I see it, will you leave? Please leave, I want to eat rice

KS : You can't see it

ET : I can really see it! This spoon!

LOL!!! Could we expect another skit of Goblin from SNL in  the future? LOL. SNL Korea skits are the best hahaha

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh "Eatggobi" :lol: 

thank you for the translation!! :wub: 

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

In one of my earlier posts, I had pointed out that Eun Tak would wear different sweaters which would illustrate the situation Eun Tak was actually facing or living. We have here again a sweater fitting to the story. It is written in French (with some mistakes:it should be written like this héroïne ingénue) : ingenuous heroine! She is really the female protagonist in this story and right now, she is naive (=ingenuous) as she has no idea what removing the sword means.

wow!! you have a great eye chingu!! :thumbsup: I didn't pay atention to it!! 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, guin2 said:

I also feel the writer is giving us hint that sunny might be the King instead. Reasons being 1) She is call sunny, sort of represent the king the sun?, 2) In ep 3 when GR mention the king could have reincarnate to a lady instead ? 3) Maybe we got mislead that the ring bearer is the queen? 4) The GR name is Wangyeo sound similar to Empress 황후 ? (maybe to me, hehe) 5) GR is 300+ yrs old and have no memories maybe his immortality is not a punishment but is to wait for the king? cos unlike others GR he couldnt remember his past hence might not feel pain or guilty? haha I having a love-hate relationship for this drama... love everything bout the drama, story,bromance,cinematography and everything thing..... and always keep me hanging in suspense AH!!!!.for another week. .... why?! sob sob....

Yes I was thinking the same thing. I suspect Sunny is the king and GR is the queen 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, maria_m2me said:

Hellow..I just joined this forum and couldn't read back alot, I just read back till 291, so I'm not sure if this already discussed before here... After downloaded episode 6, I rewatch Goblin since episode 1. Honestly I also have some questions, maybe you can help me

(1) I believe writernim have her reason about 19 years old highschool girl and 939 years old Goblin. Maybe she likes "9" or that relates to traditional folks about "9"? Because JET lost her mom at her 9th birthday and her first meeting with GR, then jump 10 years again finally at her 19th birthday officially her first meeting with KS, after whole life she has been marked as goblin's bride. Do you remember drama 2014 "Plus Nine Boys"? Maybe she believes about this unlucky number "9"? Because as we heard explanation from GR that she as missing souls would met GR at 9, 19, 29, 39 right?

Regarding your first point. From what I know, there are beliefs for ages ending with 9.

a. It is believed that people with ages ending with 9 would usually make life-altering decisions or big life decisions at that stage of their life. Can result to good changes, can also be bad.

b. There is a belief that people with ages ending with 9 are close to death or more vulnerable to death. This is the reason why some people choose to round off their age when being asked ie. they're saying they're 30 even though they're only 29, 40 if they're 39 and so on. 

These may or may not be related to the story. But who knows, this is what makes Goblin interesting. It is unpredictable. :)

• Like 11

2 hours ago, sakura2016 said:

not really!! the few people who had an issue wasn't because of Eun Tak's age, if the problem is her age than she shouldn't like/love no one not even a person by her age!! and how many stories/dramas had OTPs who were still in high school and people were all for it!! their issue was Kim Shin being in his mid 30s which is wrong because he's 939 years old (938 years old as he told Kim Woo Bin-ssi :lol:) so if they should have a propblem it should be for his real age not his looking age which they wouldn't really care about if he looked in his 20s!! what deffirence is it for a 19 years old girl to like/love a man who looks in his 20s or 30s when he's in reality older than her by handreds of years?!! and we're in a fictional story of a Goblin and his bride!! and Kim Shin did NOTHING unappropriate to her to begin with!! and seriously the man is SUPER SWOON WORTHY!! :love:  

that's what i ahve been saying.. but then i figured if she hasn't come off age.. then i can understand their issues..

and precisely, if people want to be prickly about leagl age. then she basically shudn't be allowed to "interact" with any male before 20

• Like 9

Hi friends!

I've noticed that in episode 1 the reason why eun tak met Kim shin was because she summoned him in her 19th birthday, so with this in the latest ep 6 she said that within 2 months she will be 20 yrs old. Does that mean she and kim shin had been together almost a year. hahaha that's quite long already☺☺☺

• Like 17

just finished episode 6:wub::wub:

bromance so increase in my heart when I know goblin give house to grim reaper

innocent goblin when he kiss...I can hear breath of goblin..

sunny so cool ask et make holiday to study for exam

• Like 15

1 hour ago, maria_m2me said:

(2) When JET and KS first meeting at street, in slow motion, doesn't KS can see future with JET eventhough that's only short? I think there's about Quebec with JET too. In their 2nd meeting, KS can see JET future for 20, 30, 40. KS choose those ages, and as GR said last episodes 10 is perfect number. But suddenly he can see 29 y.o JET? What is the trigger??? And why it is 29?

Hmm, if I remember correctly, Shin could not see her future when they first met in the street.  He just got a few brief glimpses of things in the immediate future, like her blowing the dandelion (which she did in Quebec).  My working theory is that because Shin's choices will directly affect her future, her future isn't decided yet, and thus he can't see it since it isn't set in stone.  By the time Shin did see her future (end of episode 5), their relationship had already grown and part of her future had been decided.  I think as Shin continues to grow attached to Eun Tak, and makes choices in the present, more of Eun Tak's future will come to light.  Although we are shown that Eun Tak has forgotten about Shin at age 29, I do wonder if that will be the actual outcome of the show, or if the future will change, or if the "Director" she was talking about actually is Shin.

As for the numbers 9, 19, 29, etc., my understanding is based on the show Goblin alone, as I am not Korean and have no preexisting cultural understanding of the numbers.  If we base it just on the show, I think we are supposed to understand that the number 9 is a supernatural number in some way, as it occurs right before the end of a cycle.  It's a perfect number, 3^2, and ages ending in 9 represent the end of childhood, the end of adolescence, the end of the first years of adulthood, etc.  If you are looking for the cultural context, @car148 seems to give a good explanation of a few beliefs.  Whatever the case, it's its supernatural-ness that seems to attract goblins and Reapers alike, which is why Shin sees her at these ages, and why she'll encounter a Reaper every 10 years or so.

• Like 21

story KWB or grim reaper:wub:

He is follower but he always hear from goblin

He take the life but he wait for goblin and bride

He sometimes sensitif that is reason he want to hug goblin

he know song and write letter to goblin

He can eat, play,sleep together although he always fight to goblin

He just want to follow instruction goblin such as playstore

without any words he caring goblin so much:wub:

• Like 11