[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

Guest ireumimolla

After 10 days of vacation, I"M BAAACK! Oh my how much I've missed this thread T.T

@selenette thanks for mentioning me, I'll go and back-read as much as I can. I have 150 pages to back-read LOL. Hopefully I'll be done catching up before Ep 9 airs!

Bye for now...

HktU2Yy.gif

1 hour ago, blademan said:

Really intrigued as to DH's change in facial expression when he read KS's diary....does he know that the poem was for ET? 

@blademan  I  had responded to your question earlier on Wang Yeo's pain in the calligraphy scene. I apologize for the purely speculative answers. Have you read it?

Now, onto Deok-hwa. I don't think he knew it... yet. He would, he is much smarter than he appears to be (he is able to read Hanja AND in Goryeo dialect, plus its grammatical syntax! That is no small feat). He's well on his way to understanding Kim Shin's past. 

He wore rather somber clothes in eps 7-8, which probably signifies his mental growth. Additionally, in the lantern scene he looked at Kim Shin in a perceptive way, more than what I could expect from him.

Edited by selenette
  • Like 13

I've been away for more than a week, and have finally caught up with the show. 

I will take some time to read the posts, which I have missed - There have been nearly 100 pages since I last read the thread! Gobliners / GobReapers / Tinkerbells (What did we finally agree on to call ourselves?), all of you are amazing!

Anyway, I was overwhelmed with sadness when I watched the last scene in Episode 8. So, either of them would have to die in order for the other to live. It's utterly devastating - the plot appears to be leading towards a sad ending where our OTP will have to be separated by death. :cold_sweat:

I cannot help but wish very hard that our writer-nim, Kim Eun Sook, will still give us the ending that we want - both our couples will still live happily ever after. EDIT: But I have a feeling that the frequent allusion to fairy tales could be a foreshadowing of the ending that is to come. Fairy tales usually end with "and they live happily ever after". I sincerely hope for this, but there are also fairy tales that end in death, separation and sadness too, so I am not so sure at this stage.

We are also now at Episode 8 - halfway through the series - and there is still half the story left. Let's stay strong, everyone! For whatever ending our writer-nim has in store for us. :anguished:

• Like 15

So guys, is there any speculation ET birthmark?

ET ghost friend said that the birthmark faded, and why I assume it's related to her existence. Birthmark faded means she's no longer being missing soul or she's no longer needed in this world :vicx:

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, kiranzz said:

So guys, is there any speculation ET birthmark?

ET ghost friend said that the birthmark faded, and why I assume it's related to her existence. Birthmark faded means she's no longer being missing soul or she's no longer needed in this world :vicx:

it means her purpose of existence is fading. She was born to pull the sword out, but she failed to do so, hence the fading birthmark

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, selenette said:

@blademan  I  had responded to your question earlier on Wang Yeo's pain in the calligraphy scene. I apologize for the purely speculative answers. Have you read it?

Now, onto Deok-hwa. I don't think he knew it... yet. He would, he is much smarter than he appears to be (he is able to read Hanja AND in Goryeo dialect, plus its grammatical syntax! That is no small feat). He's well on his way to understanding Kim Shin's past. 

He wore rather somber clothes in eps 7-8, which probably signifies his mental growth. Additionally, in the lantern scene he looked at Kim Shin in a perceptive way, more than what I could expect from him.

YES I DID!!! Thanks for explaining :)

Just one question though...why does he do it every 60 years?? 

Totally agree! I can see shreds of maturity peeking through his playful demeanour that he's been portraying to be in the last few episodes and I'm loving it! It's refreshing to see even the secondary characters having some depth in their contribution to the main plot and THAT is the precise reason I love KES because she doesn't put anyone on the sidelines. 

• Like 8

"Goblin" Gong Yoo sees Jeong Hae-in, "So handsome", thinks Lee Dong-wook is Kim Go-eun-I's father

photo799985.jpg

Jeong Hae-in who made a special appearance in "Goblin", recalled the time he met Gong Yoo.

Ji Eun-tak (Kim Go-eun-I) was at the school she had a test at and met Choi Tae-hee (Jeong Hae-in).

Ji Eun-tak was about to be hit by a baseball on campus. A baseball player caught the ball for her and she knew that he was her first love Choi Tae-hee. They recognized each other.

Kim Sin (Gong Yoo) felt jealous when he saw Ji Eun-tak looking shy in front of Choi Tae-hee.

Kim Sin went to see Choi Tae-hee at practice. Gong Yoo yelled, "You're too handsome!" and Choi Tae-hee replied, "I am, kind of".

Tae-hee asked Kim Sin if they'd met before. Kim Sin said no and Tae-hee recalled the time they came across each other on a baseball field when he was just a kid.

Tae-hee had taught Gong Yoo how to play baseball but Kim Sin's ego had been hurt. They made a bet to grant the winner's wish and of course Tae-hee won.

He'd asked Kim Sin to remove the piano in his house. He wanted to become a baseball player but his mother wanted him to be a pianist. After time, Tae-hee had become a baseball player. Tae-hee recalled his mother saying to someone on the phone, "A thief stole the piano but no one saw anyone do it".

Kim Sin still pretended not to know although he remembered. Tae-hee said, "Maybe that wasn't you. You're too young anyway".

Meanwhile, when Sunny (Yoo In-na) called the Death Angel (Lee Dong-wook), he asked Ji Eun-tak to answer it. Ji Eun-tak was with Tae-hee and she was surprised to see him. Tae-hee thought he was her father and said hello but the Death Angel was offended. He then threatened Ji Eun-tak to answer the phone saying he would write Tae-hee's name in his book.

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-goblin-gong-yoo-sees-jeong-hae-in-so-handsome-thinks-lee-dong-wook-is-kim-go-eun-i-s-father-101845.html

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, LanA said:

Anyone knows the bag brand that KS gifted ET (and took it back stingily^^) ? I believe someone has asked the same question but I can't find the answer. Thanks in advanced 

I think it's this brand 

http://www.paulsboutique.com/#b

And this is the model.

http://www.paulsboutique.com/nicole-cross-body-black-bag-nude

Incidentally they ship to my country! Hmm.....

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

I take back my words about Deok Hwa. 

I was not happy with him in the first 2 episodes since I thought he was too frivolous BUT I can clearly see that he is maturing and getting into the mood of the most mature male in that house. Especially when he took charge of clearing up the massive pile up caused by him Samchoon Dokkaebi. 

My burning question now:

Looking at Deok Hwa as he read the words, does he know is going to happen?

What he read in the journal was NOT what Dokkaebi wrote about ending his life? But what he wrote and Deok Hwa read was the final confession since it began with 'After a 100 years, on a good enough day....'

So, DH knows about Goblin's feeling to ET and decides not to tell her the truth 

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

I think it's this brand 

And this is the model.

Thank you. I think it's the one. Doesn't it seem prettier in the drama? Lol. And yes, they also ship to my country, what a coincidence ^^

• Like 8

1 hour ago, NRGchick said:

I think it's this brand 

And this is the model.

Thank you!!! it looks pretty in the drama, so the PPL works on me...hahaha

its made of PU leather...ahhh too bad... :bawling: 

I was not happy with him in the first 2 episodes since I thought he was too frivolous BUT I can clearly see that he is maturing and getting into the mood of the most mature male in that house. Especially when he took charge of clearing up the massive pile up caused by him Samchoon Dokkaebi. 

Yes yes yes.... AGREE!!!! 

56 minutes ago, kiranzz said:

So, DH knows about Goblin's feeling to ET and decides not to tell her the truth 

i dont think DW is 100% sure it's about ET (probably 95% LOL hahahaha)... he's been seeing KS feeling up and down bc of ET lately...(his mood)...But he knows that his samcheon is in love...

A_zpsl7ppt8cn.gif

I JUST WANT TO SAY: HWAITING KIM SHIN!!!!

:heart:I'M ALWAYS WITH YOU!!! :heart:

giphy_zpsltngvf6b.gif

see you later chinguyaaaa!!!! real life calls me hahahaha....

Edited by naritul
  • Like 16

I take back my words about Deok Hwa. 

My burning question now:

Looking at Deok Hwa as he read the words, does he know is going to happen?

What he read in the journal was NOT what Dokkaebi wrote about ending his life? But what he wrote and Deok Hwa read was the final confession since it began with 'After a 100 years, on a good enough day....'

I am going to respond to your post, while adding a few more thoughts of my own.

When I saw Deok Hwa in the first two episodes, I did find him adorable with his playfulness towards the Goblin, and thought that he provided a bright and cheerful contrast to the solemn tone of the show.

I do love how he has matured into one of the most mature male in the household too. Behind his frivolity and playful irreverence towards his Uncle, there is genuine concern, love and respect. He always ensures that his Uncle has his meals, and is healthy and stays out of trouble. When his Uncle did get into trouble, Deok Hwa was there to clear things up and smooth things over. All his efforts could be because of his bid to get his credit card back, but they're really not. Deok Hwa does things for his Uncle not solely out of duty and loyalty but also out of genuine love - It is also rather significant that he calls out Goblin, not "my Lord", but my "Uncle". It does show that Deok Hwa is a character who works hard at protecting everyone and keeping the family together.

I find it really touching how Deok Hwa always tries to find out more things about his Uncle - not out of curiosity, but a true genuine wish to learn more about his Uncle - in order to serve and protect him better. Deok Hwa is turning out to be one of my favourite characters of the show. :)

I was surprised to see that Eun Tak had not copied the page on the Goblin wanting to end his life, but it was instead a page on his fervent wish to see her face and to love her for just one more day, or for the next 100 years. :dissapointed_relieved: I had always thought that Eun Tak had copied the other page on the Goblin's commentary on his long, painful 900-year life.

Seeing Deok Hwa's expression when he read the Goblin's love letter made the entire scene even more emotional and poignant too... Eun Tak has been walking around carrying the Goblin's genuine feelings for her and yet she now thinks that it is for someone else. She does not know the secret of the sword at that time, but Deok Hwa's expression and reaction to the letter reflect the pain and the eternal sadness behind the Goblin's words. It's such a sad scene despite how it does seem light-hearted when Eun Tak snatches the notebook away, muttering about the Goblin's "past" beautiful love... I believe that Deok Hwa has an inkling of the Goblin's inner conflict now. He's a smart character who catches on to things quickly - hence, the gravity of his expression. :(

I also feel that this drama has struck that odd but intriguing balance between lightheartedness and a mournful sadness that movingly juxtapose each other... Lighthearted moments have an overcast of melancholic sadness, and moments of sadness are ironically made even more melancholic, when they are mixed with moments of amusement. It makes the entire show so emotionally engaging.

We have 8 more episodes! I will be so sorry to have such a great series come to an end so soon... :( 

• Like 23

Finally can get to watch Goblin after working too much this week, and I must say, I expected them to be like some tragic star-crossed lover, since it's pretty clear cut in the beginning, but the way it shown to us was really amazing. Minus the product placement, damn, they went too far on episode 8 in my opinion. The comedy was still great, but the mellow scene are still for the win!!

Eun-tak is smart and observational, that's for sure. She had suspicions here and there and pieces all of them together, then she asked when she found some things strange. She's also very kind and honest with herself. I love her very much, although I feel that my heart would break for her more than the Goblin. The thing is, she has been living through 'hell' for 19 years old, when she found someone that can be her family (Goblin), she was ecstatic, but when it was dawned to her that she would be the death of him, she looked very devastated...I want to give her a big hug and tell her it will be okay, ahahaa...

Goblin is pitiful too. If only he didn't fall in love with Eun-tak, I think he'd be happy to leave the world. He felt alive when he loves, and he didn't want to lose that feeling yet. I feel really sad for him when he caught Eun-tak in his arm after he accidentally sent her flying into a big truck, it's like an immediate reaction, a cry for help : "I don't want to die yet."

Grim Reaper slowly get his memory back. I applaud the person who has pointed out that all Grim Reaper lost their memory, wow, you're right! My heart clenched when he cried at the sight of Goblin's sister painting. I think Goblin started to suspect that Grim Reaper is the king too...but I don't think he would confront Grim Reaper about it yet, as Eun-tak is his biggest 'problem' now, hehehee...

It's getting better and better, aaaaah, Friday, please come fast!

• Like 13