[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

On 12/24/2016 at 7:01 AM, maryofbethany said:

@littleloony  hi, Dear all Brides, and Grooms.
back to my little Brides and Grooms talks.
littleloony, (loved your Pride and Prejudice contact pic. P&P is still my most Fav literature. Goblin is a little like our Darcy, pride and aloof in the beginning, while ET is our sassy bold unique Elisa.
 “Till this moment I never knew myself.” ― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
Lizzy does not know herself, until the tail end chapters of novel then she realised how much she was meant to her, and how hopelessness unhappy she was when she found herself, might be undeserving him. i loved it that ET was compared to Jane Eyre, as our Jane Eyre Experts so beautifully expounds. for me, i loved Lizzy so much, that i almost keep seeing Lizzy in some of the female characters that i loved. Arrogance and Pride and Coolness (with some age) of KS is a little like Darcy though. but i guess, the mid portion of P&P where Darcy went extra means to take hidden cares, silently for Lizzy, is very heart-warming, just like KS did. 
i loved his last confession to lIzzy: "By you, I was properly humbled. I came to you without a doubt of my reception. You showed me how insufficient were all my pretensions to please a woman worthy of being pleased."
for ages of self indulgence in classy high ends living, and sensible usage of time appreciating Art / Music / Literature... in tastes, class, education, wealth, he was a like a Victorian Chaebol, nothing in wants, nothing lacking. proud and errogance becometh him. while his heart is kind, only being understood by his close friend (Deok-hwa's grandfather). while ET is not that close to being Lizzy, i found KS is more of a Darcy. not in wants of a wife, very self-sufficient, very 'zero' in EQ, lacking in social skills and Etiquette, which ET can put him in his place.
when taunted, asked to be bound in a social class to 'duty, honor, gratitude", Lizzy is not, will not, she refuted: "
"Neither duty, nor honour, nor gratitude,.... have any possible claim on me."
i loved it, that between ET and KS, they are equals. Lizzy will not be bound by Duty, honours, gratitude, so will ET see herself as not bound by duty, honor, gratitude as the world wants, she will jsut want to be a Bride because she loved him as a bride. as simple as that.

i will stand by your scenario that the Goblin must love her ET as a Groom loving his Bride, and She ET embraced her identity as the Bride loving her Groom. 'when He fulfilled his identity as a Groom. and Her as acknowledging him as her Groom. then the Bride is not just a Tool, but really a Bride. in Kim Eunsook stories, there are lots of 'fairy tales' scenario, even Secret Garden has traces of fairy tales, her older dramas Lovers in Paris, is a complete modern day Cinderella. and This Goblin is like a Beauty and Beast, or whatsoever you deem fit.
so, the One-True-Love- element must be there, to make magic works. else, just like Enchanted where Amy Adams found her Prince but he's not her OTP, his kiss doesnt work. why our Goblin OTP first kiss does not work, i guess, it is because both loved in their heart, but still deep in denial, self-denial that they loved each other.
until they faced their heart boldly, and acknowledged to themselves, surrender to their own hearts, they cannot officially become the Bride and the Groom, (aka the Bride and the Goblin).

HI @maryofbethany I hope you are not tired with your church duties and had a great Christmas day :) Sorry I cut your beautiful post and thanks so much for the compliment. P&P is one of my earliest classics and one of my favs. I am too am like in that I always find some element in most kdramas that relates to P&P in some way or the other...recently I found similarities in Cheese in the Trap, Moon Lovers and now that you mentioned even in here LOL. For me the element of P&P that most resonates with me here is the way in which KS had denied ET could be his bride. It so reminds me of the way Darcy refused to stand up with Elizabeth and dance with her at the ball where they first met. I just highlighted the part I liked a lot. It is true that KS and ET actually interact on more of an equal footing than I would have thought possible and a lot of that credit goes to ET because she does not cower or shy away from KS just like Eliza had never been in awe of Darcy and always spoke her mind to him.....no being coy or arty. I have said this before but I think that ET reminds me strongly of Emma actually, specially in eps 1-4 and her budding relationship to KS has all the natural ease that there was between Emma and MR. Knightley :) As you can see, given a chance I can probably find similarities with every Jane Austen character :w00t: I really do love that author and never tire of reading her works :D

@shynaz and @faidaris haha chingudeul, united we are in the love for this hot and sweet ahjusshi (though I should be calling him oppa ;) ). If you haven't already seen it then give "Biscuit Teacher and Star candy" a try, super old but another one of his most romantic works and as always he will steal your heart :blush: I generally prefer not to know about actors and actresses beyond what work they do onscreen because I kind of see acting as their profession and the rest of what they do offscreen as their private lives. So I am generally not on the bandwagon that wants to every little detail of their favourite star. Its only in the case of Gong Yoo and JiSung, among the Kactors that I get interested whenever there is news about their lives. GY is has become so mature through the years, has chilled out some and grown more charismatic. His acting has also improved so much, its a lot more nuanced now without being OTT. I also really like the fact that he comes across as a genuine, good natued, warm hearted person. I am sure you guys can guess how much I like GY hehehe. Anyway I have included a long interview of his under the spoiler tag if you guys wanted to see him being candid and talking passionately about his work and a phase of his life, if you haven't already (its after his movie Silenced came out)

Spoiler

• Like 14

Is it too much to ask for more than 5 min on screen for WangSun:blink:15403401_1719609564954399_4881850774289645568_n.jpg

, i am not asking for such romantic scenes Goblin couple has , each couple is unique in its own :heart: i am asking for more screen time .

Is it enough our grim reaper is untouchable:grin:yet  i am anticipating a dramatic kiss between them, uri honest direct grim reaper won't be able to hold his desire back ,he is gonna kiss her with teary eyes featuring his past :heart:

• Like 6

LDW has some really nice kisses in hotel king..

so I know that he can KISS .. :P

the deal is.. how will he if he can't touch sunny .. lol

BTW, is anyone reading the webtoon THE UNTOUCHABLE.. 

it is so funny.. woman is a vampire who feeds on human energy.. so even holding hands is sucking energy out of  a person. And hero is human but cleanliness maniac..

SO,  he doesn't let anyone touch him..

Now when they do fall in love.. he still has problems with touching.. and well her touching him can literally take his life :)

• Like 10

On 12/23/2016 at 6:06 PM, classyviews said:

Kiss is coming!!!! 

kiss is coming!! 

kiss is coming!!!!! :heart::love:

Aaaand more conflicts.. :cry:

Okay, I KNEW there was conflict and angst waiting around the corner, creeping at us slowly. But man, this plot twist, I did not expect. Now that they both know like everything, I am sure there is a bout of noble idocity thats going to come. Probably from Eun Tak. And if that happens, I am going to have to blow up some really huge steam. The drama has so far managed to capture and turn age old troupes into a funny and interesting plotline, and no body wants it go away. Shin is a GOD , for gods sake, I am sure, if they use their heads and hearts together, they will figure it out.

Now that the rant is out of the way, Its time to get the Reaper-Sunny truth out of the bag. I really really feel for our reaper. I mean okay, you were the mean horrible guy who was responsible for the whole mess, but you are ADORABLE now. :kiss_wink:  who he is now, is his true self, stripped of memories, thought, actions ec. Being a young king sucks, especially because, you just cant decide on your own as the so called " wise( evil) " people around will always play the age factor against you. So, I am waiting for them to become the best of friends and then the whole truth bomb to burst. I really am hoping Shin learnt to forgive in his heart after this long time. 

Also, I am curious as to why everyone is reincarnating now. From Deok Hwa, to the king, sister, everyone. SO many questions!!!  And the story has to like mooooveee. The pace after the intial pop and crackle is starting to fade. I am not saying humor solves all, but right now we could probably use a good dose of it. 

Okay, and finally Subway saves everybody! Its the eternal truth, that despite how long you occupy in this earth, the only thing that can bring you back from the brink of death, is a neatly wrapped sub. Now thats how world peace is achieved! :star:

• Like 7

@littleloony actually this is my first time I follow Gy drama but in film I have watched Train To Busan.So I dont know background drama Gy include coffee prince.So I love how Gy acting this goblin..He make goblin so alive and also when he is pain we want care to goblin.Thats the power Gy in this drama.GY ...you have new fan right now...its me:wub:

• Like 9

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate :)

I enjoyed last 2 eps as much as all eps so far...this drama keeps getting better and better 

I'm a bit angry...if ET doesn't pull that sword she has no purpuse in life and should die????...such a hardworking, kind and bright girl?...couldn't believe i heard that :angry:

• Like 8

what's meant by whether kiss is coming?

What kiss.. where.. which?

Any ideas on how can I pursue my marriage?

ala Itazura na kiss..

or THE SECRET..

can I or should I just start imagining Gong Yoo as my husband:P .. and will I really get married..

Damn!.. I have been so tempted to test the secret.. for so long.. but just don’t know where to test it..

Anyone got any wish fulfilled by it?

• Like 5

@littleloony this is one of the best interviews i've ever seen for any actor , GY was so deep , honest in this interview he shared his fears with us we felt him he focus in his acting career more than popularity that's why he succeed and became A list star in Korea                          also i loved how he chose this drama for his comeback i feel it complete drama from actors to writer,directors, editing,cinematography, ost

everyone fit his role :):) 

• Like 8

This is my first drama I didnt skip all scenes  and can memorize all script because I repeat so much all episode:wub:

So we still have enemy in this drama..Secretary not sure what is character and snatch man..Oh I worried that man will do anthing worst for next...

I hope goblin and et will be together to fight destiny to them especially red woman..The true love will brave together in live or death...:wub: and dear writer please not amnesia scene..I worried because you mention grim reaper has power that...

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

LDW has some really nice kisses in hotel king..

so I know that he can KISS .. :P

the deal is.. how will he if he can't touch sunny .. lol

BTW, is anyone reading the webtoon THE UNTOUCHABLE.. 

it is so funny.. woman is a vampire who feeds on human energy.. so even holding hands is sucking energy out of  a person. And hero is human but cleanliness maniac..

SO,  he doesn't let anyone touch him..

Now when they do fall in love.. he still has problems with touching.. and well her touching him can literally take his life :)

Yes the kisses in hotel king are really nice. Well the reason why he doesn`t want to touch her is because he will see her past life. But if the truth about their previous life is revealed then, there will be no need for him to avoid touching her. So we may get a kiss.

I´m reading it, it´s one of my favorite webtoon. The funny thing is that they are in the melo phase just like we have here in Goblin lol. I wonder if ET is going to to the same thing as Sia did and leave KS to protect him. Since she doesn`t know the whole truth she may think, that it´s the best solution.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

Yes the kisses in hotel king are really nice. Well the reason why he doesn`t want to touch her is because he will see her past life. But if the truth about their previous life is revealed then, there will be no need for him to avoid touching her. So we may get a kiss.

I´m reading it, it´s one of my favorite webtoon. The funny thing is that they are in the melo phase just like we have here in Goblin lol. I wonder if ET is going to to the same thing as Sia did and leave KS to protect him. Since she doesn`t know the whole truth she may think, that it´s the best solution.

Yes.. but if it were that simple.. as him touching and seeing past lives.. then it isn't exactly an issue..

Remember when the pickpocketer touched him, his junior mentioned how he will be punished in a month's time..

So touching grim reaper is not just about past lives being seen.. but :) .. it comes with a punishment.. adn death in worst case..

So our GR-Sunny may have similar track like goblin... in love want to kiss.. but if they kiss.. misery befalls.. that actually sucks more than goblin's love life

What are the theories on secretary?

Who is he?

Or is he a nobody.. normal human.. with no past, present, future ties with anyone

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Princi_86 said:

I'm dying to BGM to be released to have this Grim Reaper work's background music in my playlist. But this cover is nice as well.

The path of the deceased...i wonder if it's real name of this melody or it's fan named? This title suits this song.

This BGM is nice as well, such a light vibes from it:

Wah you are daebak chingu :w00t: i love these BGM too. Thank you for posting. The cover is as nice as in the drama. It is calming. I hope they will release these 2 BGM as their ost.

• Like 6

I just finished watching EP 7 and 8 and can I just say... Yoo In Na! :w00t:
I've seen plenty of lip-biting scenes but she NAILED it! Not too long to emphasize it, but not too short to make it appear it never happened. OMO it was perfect! My heart fluttered when she did that in the restaurant opposite of GR.

I did notice a flaw though. The lady in red (the deity) said she created JIT to be happy but if it wasn't for the goblin, JIT wouldn't have lived at all. GR would've come to pick her up before she was born. So for what happiness was JIT created? She's had a difficult life so far with mom dieing at age 9 and her being abused by her aunt ever since. What happiness has JIT created or had, other than the happiness in the goblin's life?

So either JIT is to remain alive for a while and be happy, or she's to make the goblin happy. Kinda hard to do when the deity wants the goblin dead though.

p.s. if anyone is able to provide a GIF where Sunny does the lip-biting...

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Yes.. but if it were that simple.. as him touching and seeing past lives.. then it isn't exactly an issue..

Remember when the pickpocketer touched him, his junior mentioned how he will be punished in a month's time..

So touching grim reaper is not just about past lives being seen.. but :) .. it comes with a punishment.. adn death in worst case..

So our GR-Sunny may have similar track like goblin... in love want to kiss.. but if they kiss.. misery befalls.. that actually sucks more than goblin's love life

Who is he?

Or is he a nobody.. normal human.. with no past, present, future ties with anyone

ah you are right....I missed that part. 

• Like 4

@heroonthebeach I watched W and loved it till halfway,  but I read somewhere that goblin's script has been developed for quite some times, so I am hopeful about the originality of the script.. lol. So whether the cue on the existence of ET is borrowed, I doubt so. Also W tackled that existence issue so whimsically that I lost interest to tune in for the last episodes. Still hoping this drama would fair better in terms of execution of the 'who gets to live and vice versa'.

DF's subtitles are the worse, on ep 8, Reaper is saying to sunny, 'in terms of religion, I am an atheist,' :|. That was 180 deg turn from what I watched on VIU subs, I wonder whether they are doing word by word translation? 

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Who is he?

I could be wrong but I thought for the pickpocket the punishment in a months time was not because he touched a grim reaper but because he was a bad guy as in he keeps doing bad things and eventually it will all catch up with him and eventually his punishment. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, autumna said:

I could be wrong but I thought for the pickpocket the punishment in a months time was not because he touched a grim reaper but because he was a bad guy as in he keeps doing bad things and eventually it will all catch up with him and eventually his punishment. 

The subs said..

His junior says something along the lines of..

Does he even know what he just did (touched a grime reaper).. heavens will punish him in a month's time..

( if it is about seeing past life.. then GR shud have said sthg.. but GR didn't.. his junior did.. who never touched the guy.. so less chance of him talking about bad karma)

GR then says. to let it go.. and hope that deity doesn't punish him..

• Like 11