[Drama 2017] My Father is Strange 아버지가 이상해

Go Seung Ji

47 minutes ago, aletum said:

@agnescz thank you for the preview :)

Now there's a scene I wasn't expecting! How lovely!! Especially because JH is in that bathrobe. :wub:

It looked like he was about to take a shower when they entered to wash their hair and asked him to help them, he was upset tying his bathrobe :D maybe they caught him half naked :blush:

And looks like roof meetings started ardy

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joong Hee washing the three sisters hair was priceless. Also wonderful that Hye Young told Jung Hwan  that his mum asked her to break up with him. Finally she tells him. Don't know whether she told him about the 8 years ago one too at the same time but the present attempt of the mother has been revealed. Jung Hwan my main man, he also bravely asked Papa and Mama Byun  to marry her and now hopefully he figures out why Hye Young broke up with him all those years ago. Although I am doubtful whether he will openly defy his mother though. He seems a bit faint hearted. He is a nice guy but not very forceful and I worry about this quality of his but probably why he gets along with Hye Young so well because she is an Alpha female.

Love the preview.  From the very brief moment we got AJH is gonna have a harder time establishing a relationship with JY than he will with his sisters. That look JY gives him when he's eating with the family suggests he might have an inferiority complex towards AJH, considering AJH independently established himself without parental help while he is still mooching off his parents.

43 minutes ago, zoks said:

Love the preview.  From the very brief moment we got AJH is gonna have a harder time establishing a relationship with JY than he will with his sisters. That look JY gives him when he's eating with the family suggests he might have an inferiority complex towards AJH, considering AJH independently established himself without parental help while he is still mooching off his parents.

It was obvious from the moment JH entered the house JY reason for pushing him out is jealousy, he is not being protective or anything else, even maknae whose parents thought she ll have the hardest time among them she was not that bad toward JH, big sis was occupied with her problems and she even said that she is less worried when she knew he is celebrity and he is someone MY knows, so she was the one who is being protective toard her family, worried if he is someone bad. MY case was a bit complicated since he is her boss, we talked about it a lot here and she is fine now. But big brother was mostly jealous and childish, he never acted as a big brother. The more JH get along with the sisters especially MY, the more he ll get jealous and that was obvious on preview.

was hoping some kind soul would've given a rough translation of the preview but oh well, juicy parts seen w/o subs so i'm a happy fan :D..

1) Glad to see the progress with JW and HY. Yes, his dad got through to him so he's finally manning up and taking things to the next step. Clearly the only issue with them getting married would be the moms, but i think if his mom would crack first, then her mom would definitely approve. Glad to see JW screaming at his mom like that. That snobbish lady needs to learn that being rich doesnt mean she can control everyone around her, especially her retired husband and her almost 40 son. Kudos to HY for finally revealing why she dumped him years ago. Maybe his mom will crack when he finally for once, gets really really upset with her?

2) JH and MY, and of course the girls. How cute is it that he's helping them wash their hair. Yeah, JY being sulky as usual. Although, i dont think JY's all that bad, really. I mean, i get why he's acting like that to JH but in general, he is a good son and brother. Regarding YJ, he still has no idea about her and MY's past so we shouldnt blame him for that. I really want to see if he'll pass the civil servant exam. Back to JH and MY, i really want the truth that JH isnt Dad's biological son to be revealed soon as it is very hard for me to see JH and MY develop romantically whilst they think that they're related.

3) CS's brother is clearly a new minor character now. Glad to see the gay confusion resolved. It'll be interesting to see how CS will respond to his brother's very bold attempt at hitting on RY since they have very contrasting personalities for twins. And it seems like RY's crush on CS isnt returning despite knowing the truth now, at least not yet. I didnt understand the preview but it seems like CS wants to continue being RY's friend?

5 minutes ago, TheMsChelsea91 said:

3) CS's brother is clearly a new minor character now. Glad to see the gay confusion resolved. It'll be interesting to see how CS will respond to his brother's very bold attempt at hitting on RY since they have very contrasting personalities for twins. And it seems like RY's crush on CS isnt returning despite knowing the truth now, at least not yet. I didnt understand the preview but it seems like CS wants to continue being RY's friend?

I think CS's brother wants to match make them, he is pretending to hit on RY but he has another plan on mind.

21 minutes ago, RayaAplus said:

I think CS's brother wants to match make them, he is pretending to hit on RY but he has another plan on mind.

Really? I doubt it. When they joined RY's couple yoga class, he genuinely seemed interested in her. It seemed like he wanted to take advantage of the fact that CS and RY were supposed to be good friends to get closer to her. It didnt seem like he wanted to bring them closer together because he never mentioned CS at all when it was just him and RY alone. 

2 hours ago, camichi said:

I don’t know you,  but I like chul Soo's brother more than he…Sorryyyy :heart::heart:

Me too! He's more outgoing and extrovert. I love that he's always smiling. I can't feel any attachments toward CS because he has just no reactions his expressions are always the same. It's a shame because I really like the maknae  love story. And I love a timid, innocent guy, his character has potencial but the actor needs to up his game.

I agree that JY is jealous of JH. Especially if JH can get on the sisters good side. And based on the bathroom scene it seems that JH is gonna be a sucker for those sisters :wub:

He already got MY by his side and I'm sure if he keeps offering RY rides to work she'll be a goner soon too. 

47 minutes ago, aletum said:

Me too! He's more outgoing and extrovert. I love that he's always smiling. I can't feel any attachments toward CS because he has just no reactions his expressions are always the same. It's a shame because I really like the maknae  love story. And I love a timid, innocent guy, his character has potencial but the actor needs to up his game.

I agree that JY is jealous of JH. Especially if JH can get on the sisters good side. And based on the bathroom scene it seems that JH is gonna be a sucker for those sisters :wub:

He already got MY by his side and I'm sure if he keeps offering RY rides to work she'll be a goner soon too. 

@aletum Totally with you. I like RY storyline but in my opinion the actor is lack of skills. His expression is always the same and do not transmit anything, his acting is too bland and flat. I know that the character is a shy guy but for me he is not doing well.  I have think this since the beginning. I am so sorry because I know he has many fans here but this is my point of view.  :ph34r:

the way Joonyoung stare at Joonghee lol, 'jealousy detected' what if JH took his place as the eldest brother ? And on top of that he's more reliable than him because he got a stable job and money, unlike JY. Suddenly I felt pitied towards JY,but I really hope this can be his trigger to success and to create a more stable future. I hope they will have a healthy competition:)

Regarding Cheolsoo, I kinda admit he did not show dynamic yet in his acting probably because he still new? But don't worry with that face he gonna succeed in drama as a male lead, girls gone crazy with that face even if their acting isn't good as long as he got the look.

8 minutes ago, eyjooniesh said:

Regarding Cheolsoo, I kinda admit he did not show dynamic yet in his acting probably because he still new? But don't worry with that face he gonna succeed in drama as a male lead, girls gone crazy with that face even if their acting isn't good as long as he got the look.

I have mixed feelings about this. I think that he isnt showing any dynamics in his acting because he has like what, one scene only per episode? So far, he's doing his job at portraying a cold and aloof guy for sure. And i have to disagree with your statement on how the actor will succeed based on his looks alone. Forgive me, it sounded a bit insulting. There are many actors who are good looking but are not as famous. I do find that when it comes to idols acting, though, it's a different story. While some of them can really act, it's not unheard of for a first time Idol actor to get the lead role straight away. And some of them are poor actors. I feel like the korean acting biz are more likely to capitalize on actors who have huge fanbases but not so much talent than actors who have good looks alone.  Hmm

1 hour ago, camichi said:

@aletum Totally with you. I like RY storyline but in my opinion the actor is lack of skills. His expression is always the same and do not transmit anything, his acting is too bland and flat. I know that the character is a shy guy but for me he is not doing well.  I have think this since the beginning. I am so sorry because I know he has many fans here but this is my point of view.  :ph34r:

We'll see if he remains "bland" and "flat" once they spice up the RY-CS storyline. I cant really say much about the acting because as mentioned, he doesnt get much screen time and material so far. 

4 hours ago, camichi said:

I don’t know you,  but I like chul Soo's brother more than he…Sorryyyy :heart::heart:

In a way, i have to agree with you too haha. He's more outgoing and cheerful. CS needs to step up his game if he really wants RY. No more being the shy guy. He needs to speak up more. 

10 hours ago, TheMsChelsea91 said:

have mixed feelings about this. I think that he isnt showing any dynamics in his acting because he has like what, one scene only per episode? So far, he's doing his job at portraying a cold and aloof guy for sure. And i have to disagree with your statement on how the actor will succeed based on his looks alone. Forgive me, it sounded a bit insulting. There are many actors who are good looking but are not as famous. I do find that when it comes to idols acting, though, it's a different story. While some of them can really act, it's not unheard of for a first time Idol actor to get the lead role straight away. And some of them are poor actors. I feel like the korean acting biz are more likely to capitalize on actors who have huge fanbases but not so much talent than actors who have good looks alone.  Hmm

First of all I'm sorry if my statement sounds like insulting to you, but I think  I only remember his 'big eyes' shock when RY was close to him. The aunt, and the elementary school kid  has lesser scene than him but they were able to give us much more expression and stage presence than him, that's solely my opinion and I could be wrong. But his eyes did not give off the natural acting feeling yet,maybe he will develop it in later episodes but if you compare his shock eyes that's more than one scene to show he like RY , with LJ's when MY hold his hand, you can see there's a big gap of 'feels', ''act' (IDK how to explain it with words, my english is kinda limited I admit it)

If I'm not wrong he is already the male lead in a web drama with Kim Seulgi

korean acting biz is more like when you come from big agency or company, the company will promote you everywhere and get the acting job for you with their bunch of money, influence and connections everywhere, etc, if you're still new, they will make you popular in a blink of an eye by landing you a supporting role in a popular drama first etc. .That's when you got a huge fanbase if the drama hit it big. Eventually the actor gonna have it easier for him to land another lead role in other drama. and sadly if you come from small or medium company just like my LJ , it will be harder for you to even get a role in a drama...even if you have huge fanbase or has the acting skill...no one will saw you, fyi he's not the first choice for AJH's role, there's another older actor for AJH role but he declined it due to schedule conflict. That's why AJH's age 6 years older than LJ's real age but they couldn't change it due to the sake of the drama's flow. 

12 hours ago, TheMsChelsea91 said:

Really? I doubt it. When they joined RY's couple yoga class, he genuinely seemed interested in her. It seemed like he wanted to take advantage of the fact that CS and RY were supposed to be good friends to get closer to her. It didnt seem like he wanted to bring them closer together because he never mentioned CS at all when it was just him and RY alone. 

I forget what exactly made me think so, I have to watch again, but I may be wrong, let's wait and see. But honestly I don't want the twin to fight for the girl.

6 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

First of all I'm sorry if my statement sounds like insulting to you, but I think  I only remember his 'big eyes' shock when RY was close to him. The aunt, and the elementary school kid  has lesser scene than him but they were able to give us much more expression and stage presence than him, that's solely my opinion and I could be wrong. But his eyes did not give off the natural acting feeling yet,maybe he will develop it in later episodes but if you compare his shock eyes that's more than one scene to show he like RY , with LJ's when MY hold his hand, you can see there's a big gap of 'feels', ''act' (IDK how to explain it with words, my english is kinda limited I admit it)

If I'm not wrong he is already the male lead in a web drama with Kim Seulgi

korean acting biz is more like when you come from big agency or company, the company will promote you everywhere and get the acting job for you with their bunch of money, influence and connections everywhere, etc, if you're still new, they will make you popular in a blink of an eye by landing you a supporting role in a popular drama first etc. .That's when you got a huge fanbase if the drama hit it big. Eventually the actor gonna have it easier for him to land another lead role in other drama. and sadly if you come from small or medium company just like my LJ , it will be harder for you to even get a role in a drama...even if you have huge fanbase or has the acting skill...no one will saw you, fyi he's not the first choice for AJH's role, there's another older actor for AJH role but he declined it due to schedule conflict. That's why AJH's age 6 years older than LJ's real age but they couldn't change it due to the sake of the drama's flow. 

@eyjooniesh:  If your English is kinda  limited I could not express what a kinda extra limited is mine. no no crazy rabbit

You just said what I have always thought about idols trying to act. However   Lee Joon is an exception, he was and idol but he is an excellent actor since the beginning. I prefer actors than idols trying to act. There are many good actors that are handsome too but they get less opportunities because of the small entertainment companies they belong.I hope he improves his acting skills soon. 
Thanks god that Lee Joon was selected for this roll because nobody else could do better, this character is totally for him. 

5 hours ago, zoks said:

Aren't all the kids played by actors younger than their actual age? LJ doesn't count because he's always been an actor. Remember Ninja Assassin?:D

not all, Lee Yuri is 37 years old this year and she's younger than LJ in this drama, I think the age for actress casted in this drama is not that far from their real age except for the actors siblings, JY is 31 in real life and LJ is just 29.

MY- 28 y/o - in drama 30 y/0 - 2 years difference

RY- 24 y/o - in drama 26 y/o - 2 years difference

HY - 37 y/o - in drama 33 y/o - 4 years difference

JY - 31 y/o - in drama 34 y/o - 3 years diff

JH - 29 y/o - in drama 35 y/o - 6 years difference

I took their age according to US standard, if by Korean standard in both drama and real life they are 1 year older

On 2017-5-11 at 7:55 PM, eyjooniesh said:

the way Joonyoung stare at Joonghee lol, 'jealousy detected' what if JH took his place as the eldest brother ? And on top of that he's more reliable than him because he got a stable job and money, unlike JY. Suddenly I felt pitied towards JY,but I really hope this can be his trigger to success and to create a more stable future. I hope they will have a healthy competition:)

I'm not going to deny he's new to the game.  But he's not a bad actor.  Actually his acting...when given the chance reminds me a lot like Nam Joo Hyuk from WFKBJ.  I thought he was NJH, until I paid closer attention---you guys need to see Queen of the Ring.  Amen to Queen of the Ring, it was done simultaneously with this show (it was a small show---six eps or something).  This is him dancing with his lead in that show for a challenge. I hope he gets to do that with RY's actress. I seriously want something like this with RY.  I'm so jealous for RY, if she doesn't get it. 

Kid also played with some big wigs. He was also on Entertainer. He's not weak actor. His brother is supposed to be happy go lucky one --- the brother isn't having the problems because he's following the rules. CS is supposed to be the brother who is hard and austere because he is not conforming -- which is not normal but happens often. 

CS lives by strict unrealistic rules he's made for himself. His brother doesn't even get it.  Maybe it's because he's afraid or whatever. I don't want to diminish anyone's interpretation here; however, I do think maybe, there should be some consideration that it may not be the actor whom is stiff; as it is the persona/and background of the character that demands a portrayal that appears stiff.  

I see CS (and not the actor) more uncomfortable and awkward in persona around women (particularly RY); and the writers made it clear; the guy's a virgin who's never dated. His brother said, "You've NEVER dated". I'm sure RY is a virgin. But bless her heart, the girl has dated-a-plenty and kissed-a-plenty. She's far, far, far more advanced than his poor soul.  I get his hesitancy.  

Shoot, I would have loved had they went on with the whole "gaycest" thing for a good 5-10 more eps so they could build RY and CS's relationship strongly---even if he'd be totally infatuated ---he'd be friendzoned simply because she'd think he's gay.  But what would happen is just how that plays out. You like a guy, but think he's gay and let your guard down. But if he wasn't gay it'd be a different thing. Huh. 

On 2017-5-12 at 3:55 AM, RayaAplus said:

I forget what exactly made me think so, I have to watch again, but I may be wrong, let's wait and see. But honestly I don't want the twin to fight for the girl.

No, I shared the same impression.  I had it for two reasons and maybe these two scenes are the ones that triggered the same impressions for you.  

1. Start at 43:00 - CS speaking to his brother about dating.  This was when I started seeing this as CS's brother opening the door for CS to find someone.  I think also CS's brother saw how RY was hanging onto CS when he went to pick him up from the school in that same episode (you'd have to scroll back --- remember that football match they were watching?) . 

2. This might be another one. When the older brother pushed CS into RY's yoga class I think gave the impression he was matchmaking---and especially with the kind of flirtish/promoting of RY to CS. 

I shared in your impression as well @RayaAplus.  We shall see I guess. 

Archived