[Drama 2017] My Father is Strange 아버지가 이상해

Go Seung Ji

I don't know why, but Yuri makes me want to involve in this thread.

First of all, for these 4 episodes, I think this is better than previous (Wolgyesu).

First child, A.K.A the only son is in his comfort zone. Like @camichi said up there. He's being 5 times failure is no kidding, which is lead us to something, there's something wrong about him, either lack of affection, encourage or things.

Second child, A.K.A first sister. She's replicating Eugene's character in All About Mom, I don't know the gap between she and her brother, but I assume that she's the one that doing all, in her childhood time. By all means, what she got is really her works. That's why she looks like a psycho (as Maknae calls her that way). And furthermore, the fortune teller said so, 'if that woman is a man, she is capable of such things'

Third child, I mistook her for being maknae first, because she sleep on the floor. Kim Yoo Joo (her rival) is above 30, which surely leads us to believe that she is above 30 as well. She needs to grow up, that age is not for hiding just because high school bullies. Come on, grow up, after graduate people will change but she has to learn it by her own. First and Third child is replicating, you know that right? Even the father said, "Mi Young and Joon Young always be punished even they are not guilty."

Fourth, Maknae. Surely I love her in Age of Youth. Her sister, Hye Young is her role model, but she's too shy to admit it. In episode 4, she shows us that she is the maknae, so Oppa should get a job and get a life.

Okay. That's for the children.

Now the relationship is going to be the competitive advantages for the drama (sorry if I use business jargon so often). The ex-lovers, they have something in behind, whether she broke the relationship because of her study or Jung Hwan's mother asked her, this theory near to perfect since Hye Young saw her on the street. That would lead us to Mother-Mother argument, and to be added, maybe JH's mother will step a back since she got cornered already. Her husband who favor Chico over her, her son who always in office, and whole Byun+Na family at stake. And to be added, Tom and Jerry should make a debut as well, so it will make JH-HY's relationship forward.

Kim Yoo Joo and Byun Joon Young. Fix, She's a gold digger. No other way the sister will accept her, and if Mi Young speaks about her abusive action back in school... well... sisters will never betray each other, right?

Anh Joong Hae and Byun Mi Young. It will develop later on. But won't be as hot as JH-HY's, but it will bring the 'cute' love; like Tae Yang and Hyo Won (Wolgyesu). This will bring the storm to the house like the first child as well, but due to cuteness, audience will favor this couple than the brother's.

As for Maknae still rough, but will happen, Cheol Soo (wait, that was his character in Bong Sam Bong's, but Bong Sambong even here as well).

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AlexMao
5 hours ago, sava2sava said:

I hope the arrogant lawyer turns up pregnant.. :tounge_wink:

Getting her pregnant would be the easiest way/less messy way of getting both families together. My concern is wouldn't that be a bit cliche, I mean it seems like it's something that gets done time and again. The problem is I can't see of another way of getting both families together without drawing it out like they're doing in Father I'll Take Care of You (as an example). 

On 3/13/2017 at 7:20 AM, safanta92 said:

Third child, I mistook her for being maknae first, because she sleep on the floor. Kim Yoo Joo (her rival) is above 30, which surely leads us to believe that she is above 30 as well. She needs to grow up, that age is not for hiding just because high school bullies. Come on, grow up, after graduate people will change but she has to learn it by her own. First and Third child is replicating, you know that right? Even the father said, "Mi Young and Joon Young always be punished even they are not guilty."

While I do think she shouldn't change her life based off of a high school bully, and that this isn't high school anymore, I don't think it's necessarily a matter of "growing up" depending on how bad she was bullied (and I sincerely hope you never tell someone who was bullied to grow up). It certainly seems Mi Young's scars run deep. We'll have to see how long this story goes for, especially since her bully hasn't done anything really awful to her, though she certainly has an attitude about herself.

For Hye young (?) the oldest sister, I definitely feel like her ex's mom had something to do with their breakup. What exactly, not too sure.Her getting pregnant would be a bit cliche, but KBS' weekend dramas lately (Five Enough, Gentlemen) have had ways of turning cliches a bit more interesting. 

9 hours ago, AlexMao said:

Getting her pregnant would be the easiest way/less messy way of getting both families together. My concern is wouldn't that be a bit cliche, I mean it seems like it's something that gets done time and again. The problem is I can't see of another way of getting both families together without drawing it out like they're doing in Father I'll Take Care of You (as an example). 

Yes @AlexMao  It's a bit cliche but I had something else in mind as she wants to keep him on the back burner for her to use anytime she feels like it nor do she wants him being with anyone else.. It's kind of clear she hasn't been in a serious relationship with no other man besides him.. I'm wondering is it her vain attitude that has kept her from marrying by now because it can't be because of her family situation which I don't think that would have stop her.. Then I thought about maybe his mom had something to do with there breakup from the beginning.. But I think it's going babies that brings these two together..

I like his dad he's funny how he has devoted all his undivided attention to his dog and none to his wife.. Just what has she done that he would place a big portriat of him and the dog on the wall but not one of him and her.. Mother life is so lonely.. 

10 hours ago, AlexMao said:

I feel as though Father I'll Take Care of You was going at a different angle.  Too many families and no real resolution.  Not to mention this is the first extended storyline that I have ever seen with so many damn story plots:1) missing brothers; 2) cousins switched at birth; 3) Entire town leading to the death of one person; 4) massive "revenge" angle. I meanI havenever seen an extended story have all this going on in it.  It's rare.  Look at this story.  Very simple.  We know who will end up with who; shoot, we most likely know that the boy's father is 

Spoiler

the father's best friend that passed away.  

It's very simplistic just like Laurel Tree Tailors. FITCY is just...man...still watching,but wow...just some where else. By the way I don't think getting the oldest pregnant is cliched.  It just makes sense. 

6 hours ago, sergel02 said:

While I do think she shouldn't change her life based off of a high school bully, and that this isn't high school anymore, I don't think it's necessarily a matter of "growing up" depending on how bad she was bullied (and I sincerely hope you never tell someone who was bullied to grow up). It certainly seems Mi Young's scars run deep. We'll have to see how long this story goes for, especially since her bully hasn't done anything really awful to her, though she certainly has an attitude about herself.

For Hye young (?) the oldest sister, I definitely feel like her ex's mom had something to do with their breakup. What exactly, not too sure.Her getting pregnant would be a bit cliche, but KBS' weekend dramas lately (Five Enough, Gentlemen) have had ways of turning cliches a bit more interesting. 

Wait, are you trying to tell me...that pretentious old lady married to the man in love with his dog is actually the father of that man? Oh the gods. I was wondering who the son was.  I thought it was that hot actor guy that was acting along side the youngest sister. 

As for MY's troubles. One can never know the effects of bullying and/or how deep they can go. You may think a few jokes or pushing around people should "get over", but it doesn't work that way. Pain, is pain, and it can last as long as it wants. "Grow", wow...that's something special there. I think we'd have to rethink our phrasing @safanta92. Thanks @sergel02.

OM to the g's @Go Seung Ji I love MY's sweater.  I really love that sweater.  I want that sweater. 

OMG i just was thinking the same here. I want that sweter, i love it...

5 hours ago, vaberella said:

I feel as though Father I'll Take Care of You was going at a different angle.  Too many families and no real resolution.  Not to mention this is the first extended storyline that I have ever seen with so many damn story plots:1) missing brothers; 2) cousins switched at birth; 3) Entire town leading to the death of one person; 4) massive "revenge" angle. I meanI havenever seen an extended story have all this going on in it.  It's rare.  Look at this story.  Very simple.  We know who will end up with who; shoot, we most likely know that the boy's father is 

Hide contents

It's very simplistic just like Laurel Tree Tailors. FITCY is just...man...still watching,but wow...just some where else. By the way I don't think getting the oldest pregnant is cliched.  It just makes sense. 

Wait, are you trying to tell me...that pretentious old lady married to the man in love with his dog is actually the father of that man? Oh the gods. I was wondering who the son was.  I thought it was that hot actor guy that was acting along side the youngest sister. 

As for MY's troubles. One can never know the effects of bullying and/or how deep they can go. You may think a few jokes or pushing around people should "get over", but it doesn't work that way. Pain, is pain, and it can last as long as it wants. "Grow", wow...that's something special there. I think we'd have to rethink our phrasing @safanta92. Thanks @sergel02.

OM to the g's @Go Seung Ji I love MY's sweater.  I really love that sweater.  I want that sweater. 

I think JH s father is the person MY s parents were visiting at the graveyard. Maybe this is the reason why he is going to permit JH stay with them in their house like another son.  For sure, there must be a big secret here, between those friends in the past, that s why  the name of the drama is Father is weird. I am not sure but maybe they were secret agents or something. Now is difficult to see the real plot but I am sure this is going to be developed step by step. For me is like “There is something rotten in Denmark”.

yellow-hair-girl-emoticon-12.gif?1301940164

6 hours ago, Go Seung Ji said:

source

Sorry but these 3 reminds me the three stooges

21 hours ago, vaberella said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hey thank you for mentioning me!

If we can elaborate more, MY case is not as bad as rape case. I know both of them will be hurt, scars if you may say so. But we have law, and if you don't speak for your self, until when you will be colonized by those kind of feeling and prohibit you to learn and grow more? If that so, why you even still bother to life?

I assume that MY has a severe case of self confidence. Come on, the reason victim always be in their circle (comfort zone) because they tend to believe people are labelling them in a wrong way. That is a wrong mindset to begin with. A rape victim can walk the ramp as if no body know she's a victim. From the fact that they gave to us, the thing that girl did is labelling her as pig or have a pork's scents... Just do counter-attack. Look at MY right now, she is perfect, unless she lacks of self confidence. Anyway, again thanks for correcting .

On 3/16/2017 at 9:07 AM, sergel02 said:

Yes, agreed that her scars run deep. I don't remember I said change her life. To some extent, I kinda hard to find a victim of Bully, my best friend was, but she overcome it. Anyway, Mi Young case is a bit cliche, she never get humiliated in front of school. I agree that Joo (her bully) has some attitude. I don't know since I am not a bully or a victim, but showing her improvement, why she always choose to avoid her? By face, Mi Young is prettier than her. Job? Well, it is kinda problematic to begin with.

I don’t know, but ep 5 was like bland. Nothing interesting to say or bring out. The only scene to rescue was the last one, when JH went into the restaurant. If the writer makes the firsts episodes bored,  people would drop the drama, and the rating will drop too. I hope that  episode 6 be better and more interesting.

I think thatzebra woman is having to much screen. I am skipping her scenes.

yellow-hair-girl-emoticon-16.gif?1301940165

2 hours ago, camichi said:

I think thatzebra woman is having to much screen. I am skipping her scenes.

true, I hope the writer will lesser her screentime in next episode, I want to see JH live in the house with Byun's family but I guess it will be on next next next episode^_^

Hi all!  I guess I'm jumping into this drama!  I read javabeans' blurb in the what I'm watching this week article on dramabeans, and thought I'd try the first ep yesterday.  And so here I am, all caught up (well, as far as KBS World youtube is).

This is the type of family drama I like.  And as others have mentioned, it keeps giving me Ojakgyo Brothers vibes, and not just that one night stand, haha.  And that's not a bad thing, considering that OB is the only family drama I ever finished, despite starting and getting partway through tons of them.  Here's hoping I can finish this one!

On 3/15/2017 at 9:07 PM, sergel02 said:

I did want to add something to the discussion about Mi Young and Yoo Joo.  It does seem to me that Yoo Joo is so far approaching her in the present not as a bully, which I hope continues.  It seems more realistic to me if Yoo Joo has been the one to "grow up", and I almost expect her to have forgotten most of what she did to Mi Young in school.  And if she hasn't, I bet she's suppressed ("forgotten") the rest.  Isn't that how real-life bullies operate?  Mi Young will have internalized the bullying, stewing over it and overthinking it for years, but Yoo Joo has moved on because honestly, it probably wasn't that important to her.  Harsh, but true.  I don't know if the story's going that direction, but that's my feeling at this point of these characters.  Yoo Joo is shallow and spoiled and probably more than a little insensitive, but probably not a terrible person now that she's grown up, but Mi Young has never had an opportunity to get her feet under her.  I mean, she lost the one thing she felt she was really good at (sports), gained weight, felt lost, got bullied incessantly (and I agree that it didn't have to be anything objectively awful to have traumatized her nevertheless), graduated, and then failed for years to find a job.  We can say all we want that she needs to mature and be confident, but when life does that to you, it's difficult.  This job is going to be great for her, and I already love that she's basking in the little bits of praise that she's gotten so far. :)  

Anyway, in general, I love that all these characters feel very lived-in already.  The siblings are cracking me up, and mom and dad are awesome so far.  Can't wait to see how and in what way Joong Hee fits into the family dynamic.

Just caught the first two episodes of this drama and well, guess I've landed myself a new weekend drama for the next couple of months!  LOL

Some of the connections were soooo obvious.  Like when the PD turned out to be the son of the rich mom who bought out the building, I was like, "Yup.  Called that."  And if I was a betting person, I'd say she had something to do with the break-up as well.  But in spite of all that, or maybe because of all that, that's what's drawn me into this drama.  I want to know the characters better.  I want to know how their stories turn out.  I'm already rooting for them!  (Well, except maybe not the brother or the youngest sister.  Not right now, at least.  If they mature a little bit more, then I'll be on their side.)

Looking forward to watching the next two episodes.  (Since I'm watching on KBS's YT channel, I'm a week behind.)  I'm already bummed that I have dinner plans which means I have to take a break.  Why oh why did I make dinner plans?!  :tongue:

Archived