Go Seung Ji

After 'Defendant,' SBS bets big with another revenge thriller 'Whisper'

AEN20170324014700315_01_i_zpsjdumue0y.jp

SEOUL, March 24 (Yonhap) -- "Whisper," SBS TV's new crime thriller, looks and feels similar to its preceding hit show "Defendant" in many ways.

Both are in essence tales of revenge: In "Defendant," the protagonist framed for murder avenges his dead wife and clears his name, while the lead in "Whisper," a female police officer, seeks revenge on a judge who convicts her dad of murder.

What also connects the two shows is that the lead stars of the back-to-back shows are husband and wife in real life -- celebrity couple Ji Sung and Lee Bo-young.

"I'm thankful for my husband clearing up the road (for our show to glide through)," Lee told reporters during a media event for "Whisper" at the SBS headquarters in western Seoul.

When asked about pressures of following the predecessor's success, Lee shrugged "not much pressure regarding TV ratings."

Lee plays Shin Young-joo, a homicide police officer who seeks revenge on Lee Dong-joon, a corrupt judge played by Lee Sang-yoon, who wrongfully convicts her father of murderer. Throughout her quest, Shin ends up falling in love with her nemesis Lee.

Where as "Defendant" is more of a classic revenge thriller, "Whisper," along with a legal thriller element, incorporates at its core a dramatic and somewhat tragic love story between the two lead stars.

The actress said she's satisfied with her latest work: "I have faith in screenwriter Park Kyung-soo. I have waited for his work while watching all of his previous works."

Lee Bo-young and Lee Sang-yoon have previously appeared together as a couple in "My Daughter Seo-young," a hit KBS 2TV weekend series that aired in 2012.

"Our chemistry from 'My Daughter Seo-young was great. Sang-yoon is an open actor who communicates well on sharing his opinion. He's a good partner," said Lee Bo-young.

"Just from the fact that I'll be working again with Bo-young, I okay-ed it unconditionally," said Lee Sang-yoon.

The actor said he liked playing Dong-joon because of "the strong masculine trait the character exudes" and described the show as a "melodrama for adults."

Also staring Kwon Yool and Park Se-young, "Whisper" premiers Monday on SBS TV.

Source: Yonhap News

==============================

Yay for LBY.  Love her answers.  In the stuffs that I've read about Whisper so far... almost everyone mentions ratings and expectations and pressure to match Defendant.  I almost feel that it may work better if she starts to separate herself from JiSung.  She's thankful for the hands off but I think there is also the pride of making this drama a reflection of her own acting ability.  

Park Kyung Soo is doing something different this time with Whisper - adding the romance and melodrama. High ratings or not, I like that he tries something different, the audience may just find it intriguing enough, like me, to tune in.

I remember reading somewhere that LSY has a knack for picking projects based on personal relationships and script.  He agreed to do Twenty Again because it was written by So Hyeon-Kyeong who also penned MDSY.  He agreed to do Whisper because of Bo Young.  He's been very successful by staying with what works for him so this could be a successful drama too.

I like that the cast members looked relaxed and comfortable at the press conference.  LBY LSY chemistry is alive and well.  I smile watching them.  It's a good feeling about this drama, no matter what the ratings will be.  

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you @bedifferent. There will definitely be some ratings pressure after Defendant. But like you , I'm not concerned with ratings. I want a well made drama . I also hope that audiences are matured enough to take a rather shady male protagonist & allow the drama to tell its story. In American dramas, I notice folks are less critical of such characters. But fr comments in k dramas, ppl expect the male lead to be an instant hero . 

Loved what LBY & LSY said about each other. The chemistry will be good as proven in the past. Can't wait. 

17 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Yay for LBY.  Love her answers.  In the stuffs that I've read about Whisper so far... almost everyone mentions ratings and expectations and pressure to match Defendant. 

14 hours ago, triplem said:

I agree with you @bedifferent. There will definitely be some ratings pressure after Defendant. But like you , I'm not concerned with ratings. I want a well made drama . I also hope that audiences are matured enough to take a rather shady male protagonist & allow the drama to tell its story. 

Honestly I do care about rating. But rating won't be my main reason to stop or continue watching a drama. I am happy if my favourite drama gets recognition (like Defendant, Romantic Doctor), but somehow watching well-made drama more important for me these days.

SBS very successful for its Mon-Tues's time slot with 2 previous shows (or maybe since 2016 except Moon Lovers), so I think we won't lose that momentum. Eventhough airing two legal-revenge-thriller drama back-to-back might have made people feel boring because it will be so depressing. But I believe Lee Bo-young and Lee Sang-yoon's power still powerful to gain attention from the citizens. And adding Park Kyung-soo's skill in writing well-written story, finger crossed for high rating! Fighting!

Park Kyung Soo is doing something different this time with Whisper - adding the romance and melodrama. High ratings or not, I like that he tries something different, the audience may just find it intriguing enough, like me, to tune in.

Yes, i find it intriguing for real and i feel a bit surprised with Writer Park sudden taste of writing. His 3 previous dramas, there is no (so much) romance. Even Kim Rae-won and Kim A-joong who played as husband-wife, barely show their love during the show. Hohho... I just hope the leads won't die in the end or end up going to jail. Because Writer Park really like to kill his leads or sent them to prison. Hmm..... 2 days to go for the pilot episode...

6 hours ago, Gerry58 said:

Found the video of the press conference but no eng sub 

Would make an attempt to translate but it has been (too) many years since my fansubs days so i would have to leave the video to the pro. :lol: Hopefully someone would do cuts.  I did glance at it, thanks for posting.  There are a bunch now on YT.

@triplem and @Mayyes: ratings matter absolutely, especially when the writer/PD is trying something new...  yet, it's all in the context of the ratings.  If a drama's content is good and it carries high audience view, I'm sure it is rewarding for the whole production.  It validates their hard work and effort.  And they get to go on vacation ... or get a car .... and be on a far away beach with a cold drink that comes with straw/umbrella .  I do hate if high ratings is the only thing that define a drama's success so yeah, I agree with both of you.  I hope I made sense haha.

9 hours ago, Mayyes said:

Yes, i find it intriguing for real and i feel a bit surprised with Writer Park sudden taste of writing. His 3 previous dramas, there is no (so much) romance. Even Kim Rae-won and Kim A-joong who played as husband-wife, barely show their love during the show. Hohho... I just hope the leads won't die in the end or end up going to jail. Because Writer Park really like to kill his leads or sent them to prison. Hmm..... 2 days to go for the pilot episode...

OK, honestly, at first I was like... why is SBS releasing all these teasers and spoilers that basically let us know a chunk of ( the main) plot in episode 1?  The more I thought about it, the more I realize it's genius promotion! Yah, it's all in the hook of the story.  And this is a big hook.   We know that it's a pretty ambitious piece of writing that has a lot : thrillers, legal-drama, romance, melo, revenge, love.   What we don't know is how or if the boy will get the girl at the end.  Or if he will live?  :lol: We gotta tune in. There is your ratings guarantee!

8 hours ago, Mayyes said:

Probably because the writer knows that LBY and LSY got a huge fanbase from MDSY who got deprived of truly mature and intimate love scenes from these two. :) Thanks to the writer for making the fans' wishes come true.

Truly glad that LBY and LSY chose to reunite in this intriguing adult drama where they can both show anew their depth and range as actors as they exude the same winning and awesome chemistry as a couple.

Very sure this would surpass the program preceeding it because LBY and LSY are bigger audience drawers than her husband.

There was no need to be worried because both LBY's and LSY's previous dramas performed respectably ratings wise. Their combined star power will be a blast. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hiii everyonw!

i am so looking forward !!! i cant wait for tomorrow♥ i was looking for this thread and now i found it haha :D hope this drama gets a high rating as the lastest, really loving this kind of stories and love LBY and PSY so much and well i have a big love and admiration to LSY and KY really excited about this drama ♥

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT! :grin:

No translation of the presscon yet?

Been searching the net on news articles about the presscon particularly those that would tell us what the director feels about working with LBY and LSY and how he feels about having their team-up years after the huge success of their first project together, MDSY, which was an entirely different drama from "Whisper"? 

It's really interesting to know how the director feels about their chemistry. 

I'm curious to know what the director said about LSY which made LBY smiled at LSY and went near his back almost touching her right cheek to his left shoulder. That gesture shows us how comfortable she is with him. Although this is not surprising because I notice that LBY is less inhibited than most Korean actresses who are more reserved and in fact, sometimes so stiff that they wouldn't even go near their co-stars. But not LBY. She's a lot warmer, relaxed and more natural.

And also those long statements LBY and LSY said during the presscon as they talked about their working relationship now considering their long engagement of 50 episodes in MDSY.

I don't understand Korean but I suppose those were the topics of the discussion during the presscon.

@bedifferent, would you care to enlighten us on what they were talking about?:)

Thanks in advance.

@bedifferent, it's perfectly ok if you're busy. :) Just a summary or a gist maybe? Hahaha... That until Korean fans take pity on international fans like us who badly needed to be in on the good fun stuff...:grin:

This is one of those times that I wish I went ahead with learning Korean and Japanese instead of putting it off so many times in the past...:(

Archived