[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] The King’s Woman 泰时丽人明月心

sugarplum892

is it true that the drama is very different from the novel? i read somewhere that the main lead in the novel is JK while in the drama the king is the lead. so does this mean that the ending and the characters' development will also be different?

it gives me chills knowing that the ending will go on my nerves just like the last drama did-_--_-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/16/2017 at 1:50 PM, Hapiangle said:

From my interpretion from the title, I would understand it means something like 'the pure heart of Gong Sun Li (Li Ji) in Qing dynasty'. 

The title of this drama initially was Li Ji zhuan, means Legend of Li Ji. Somehow they changed it. 

@Hapiangle Thanks very much for translating :).  I knew about the original title so I waas wondering why the change too.  The previous title reminded of the big palace dramas like Legend of Zhen Huan and Legend of Mi Yue but maybe they had to change it as those were based on real historical figures whereas Li Ji is fictional and this drama focuses on Ying Zheng too.

On 8/17/2017 at 6:08 AM, areudumborwhat said:

first impressions

Thanks for sharing this video and this channel. Great fair review and I really like the reviewer.  I especially like what she said about the more realistic lighting and tone rather than the overly glossy processed post-production look in so many C-dramas these days.  

I ended up watching more of the videos on the channel and I enjoyed them.  She's very intelligent and informed and knows a lot about C-drama/movies and shooting techniques  Nice to see their is a channel like this for C-drama watchers B)

On 8/16/2017 at 11:49 PM, thunderman1 said:

Yes! Producers had go insert the "childhood friends" plot as well. Of course and the main lead has been waiting for our leading lady. xD 

Something also tells me the chancellor is his actual dad. In episode one he almost gave it away but of course the story must build on. It is quit sickening his mother slept with many of the political figures. She must be so lonely and hungry, bahaha

I feel sorry for him.  The Queen Mother is an embarrassment to him and weakens his position.  Usually the Queen Mother should be helping her son govern, act as strong moral guide for everyone particularly the women in the Palace but instead she is weak, has no political savvy and indiscreetly hooking up with shady politicians who take advantage of her and their position. It appears the older woman (I think she is his grandmother) holds the power in the harem and the Palace instead.

On 8/17/2017 at 1:03 PM, meifang89 said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

These interviews and behind the scenes videos are so much fun.  Dilireba and and Bin Bin are so cute!  

Poor Bin Bin has to carry round his ID to prove he is '93 line lol! I noticed even on My DramaList and DramaWiki they have his birthdate listed wrong. I think it's because he can comes across as so serious and mature so people assume he is older but watching his BTS and interviews he is actually quite playful and shy.  He is very talented, handsome and has great screen presence for so someone so young and it will only get stronger as he gets older.  I think if he keeps choosing good roles he can really go far. He has a charisma and adaptability you don't see much with the majority of 90s C actors.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:19 AM, tintin92 said:

@thunderman1 both princess agents and general and i had great starts but through the middle, both dramas got a bit out of control and draggy :D

will watch the second episode tonight. the story is actually good and has potential for further discussions :) 

I am finished with ep 6.. I just checked dramafever for those who want subs. Surprisingly, both Viki and Dramafever picked up this drama.

On 8/16/2017 at 4:40 PM, peanutbutterjellytime said:

Childhood love is yet again the easy way out in explaining the early and deep infatuation the main male has for the girl. It works, but an overused trope as some of you mentioned. 

Tho Dilraba and Zhang Bin Bin are the OTP, can't help but also root for her and Jing Ke early on despite knowing how it will work out. She may be "fated" to be with Ying Zheng, but GSL and Jing Ke are right for one another 

Spoiler

Jing Ke dies in the novel.. maybe it will be different in this drama. I love how the opening theme doesn't spoil much compared to previous historical dramas like General and I and Princess of Wei Young. This one leaves you hanging and wondering what will happen. The downside of this drama is that the previews at the end of every episode pretty much spoil the upcoming episode content.

19 hours ago, tintin92 said:

is it true that the drama is very different from the novel? i read somewhere that the main lead in the novel is JK while in the drama the king is the lead. so does this mean that the ending and the characters' development will also be different?

it gives me chills knowing that the ending will go on my nerves just like the last drama did-_--_-

That is correct.  Lately the trend is opening ending so who knows how this drama will end... 

Another review of the first few episodes:

https://dramaswithasideofkimchi.wordpress.com/2017/08/17/first-impressionsunfiltered-thoughts-regarding-kings-woman/

20 hours ago, tintin92 said:

Yes, the King is the first lead here unlike the book.  Apparently there are lots of changes from the book including the King and Li Ji's characters and romance are much more developed in the drama compared to the novel where they played smaller roles and the focus was more on Jing Ke and her other senior brother, Han Shen.

The original novel might have been unfinished but Ying Zheng and Jing Ke were very real and very famous historical figures so I expect there's only so much they can deviate from the history especially with all the strict Chinese drama censorship laws.  

I think this will be a tragic romance.  Ying Zheng and Li Ji are on different sides politically so unfortunately I don't see how this can end happily for them :(

1 hour ago, raziela said:

Another review of the first few episodes:

https://dramaswithasideofkimchi.wordpress.com/2017/08/17/first-impressionsunfiltered-thoughts-regarding-kings-woman/

Yes, the King is the first lead here unlike the book.  Apparently there are lots of changes from the book including the King and Li Ji's characters and romance are much more developed in the drama compared to the novel where they played smaller roles and the focus was more on Jing Ke and her other senior brother, Han Shen.

The original novel might have been unfinished but Ying Zheng and Jing Ke were very real and very famous historical figures so I expect there's only so much they can deviate from the history especially with all the strict Chinese drama censorship laws.  

I think this will be a tragic romance.  Ying Zheng and Li Ji are on different sides politically so unfortunately I don't see how this can end happily for them :(

There is a mysterious man in a hat wandering in the outskirts.. is this Han Shen? I don't recall reading much about him but does he also fall in love with Li Ji? She's such a popular woman!

4 hours ago, raziela said:

These interviews and behind the scenes videos are so much fun.  Dilireba and and Bin Bin are so cute!  

Poor Bin Bin has to carry round his ID to prove he is '93 line lol! I noticed even on My DramaList and DramaWiki they have his birthdate listed wrong. I think it's because he can comes across as so serious and mature so people assume he is older but watching his BTS and interviews he is actually quite playful and shy.  He is very talented, handsome and has great screen presence for so someone so young and it will only get stronger as he gets older.  I think if he keeps choosing good roles he can really go far. He has a charisma and adaptability you don't see much with the majority of 90s C actors.

I'm glad you like it. 

Well, he looks a bit older than his age and his characters in the previous dramas usually mature men (especially Li Jing he's so old or ancient :tongue:). Agree with you, he acts really well that we can't feel any difference in his and other seniors acting capability. 

2 hours ago, raziela said:

That's what I'm worried about :( When BB will get the girl? :mellow:

I love the king! (this is my favorite scene of him as of episode 4)

Screen_Shot_2017-08-18_at_8.52.44_pm.png

Not just because he is the most powerful man and the handsomest to me but because he has a good heart. He loves SL so much. For him to disregard his concubines. For him to keep even after so many years that piece of cloth SL used to cover the bruise on his hand. It was not shown yet, but for him to willingly accept the child as his own. That's love. True love.

Dilraba and Vin YZ and SL look great together. I am rooting for them. I am aware that in the novel they didn't really see eye to eye and i am really glad that they are deviating from it and i hope to see that until the end.

The story was actually summarized by this guy (forgive my manners, i know he is someone with rank but i forgot his name and everything):

Screen_Shot_2017-08-18_at_8.55.08_pm.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-18_at_8.55.11_pm.png

I am eagerly waiting to see how will it happen.

@meifang89 I only watched until ep 4 because dramafever/viki can't show this in my country/region so i was actually looking for the last 2 episodes and i am really grateful because you posted the links for them. We may not know each other personally but from now on i consider you as my sister online. I hope that you and the others as well will continue to update us with the latest episodes links and BTS videos.:)

1 hour ago, tudorrose said:

I love the king! (this is my favorite scene of him as of episode 4)

Screen_Shot_2017-08-18_at_8.52.44_pm.png

Not just because he is the most powerful man and the handsomest to me but because he has a good heart. He loves SL so much. For him to disregard his concubines. For him to keep even after so many years that piece of cloth SL used to cover the bruise on his hand. It was not shown yet, but for him to willingly accept the child as his own. That's love. True love.

Dilraba and Vin YZ and SL look great together. I am rooting for them. I am aware that in the novel they didn't really see eye to eye and i am really glad that they are deviating from it and i hope to see that until the end.

The story was actually summarized by this guy (forgive my manners, i know he is someone with rank but i forget his name and everything):

Screen_Shot_2017-08-18_at_8.55.08_pm.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-18_at_8.55.11_pm.png

I am eagerly waiting to see how will it happen.

@meifang89 I only watched until ep 4 because dramafever/viki can't show this in my country/region so i was actually looking for the last 2 episodes and i am really grateful because you posted the links for them. We may not know each other personally but from now on i consider you as my sister online. I hope that you and the others as well will continue to update us with the latest episodes links and BTS videos.:)

Agree with you. Yeah they both from different sides, but I really hope in the drama SL will pick YZ in the end. He deserves it after all that love that he pours over her and the child. 

I can't watch it in dramafever/viki too so I know how that feels. Other than links in youtube that I posted you can watch in dramacool/dramanice. You're so sweet, I'm happy you feel that way:wub: Surely I'll keep posting and I hope after this drama end we can still meet in other threads :lol:

7 hours ago, meifang89 said:

Agree with you. Yeah they both from different sides, but I really hope in the drama SL will pick YZ in the end. He deserves it after all that love that he pours over her and the child. 

YZ maybe royalty but he is not perfect like everyone else. I cannot justify the cruelty that comes with his position but i really hope that SL will see through him.

I can't watch it in dramafever/viki too so I know how that feels. Other than links in youtube that I posted you can watch in dramacool/dramanice. You're so sweet, I'm happy you feel that way:wub: Surely I'll keep posting and I hope after this drama end we can still meet in other threads :lol:

Thank you. I'll check those sites. I hope to see you too in other threads. I will wave say hi when that happens.:)

I am done with episode 6 and i want to know what happens next but i have to wait. I am grateful for JK for taking care of SL but i can't wait for him to exit. :D I know that as the real father of the child he will surely appear again but i hope that by then SL had already learned to love YZ. :) The synopsis in wikipedia states that she will one day and i really hope that we will see that in the drama at the end. To expect for a happy ending in a historical drama is not recommended but i can't help it and i will still continue to hope because that's the only option that i have, wait and hope.:)

8 hours ago, tudorrose said:

YZ maybe royalty but he is not perfect like everyone else. I cannot justify the cruelty that comes with his position but i really hope that SL will see through him.

Thank you. I'll check those sites. I hope to see you too in other threads. I will wave say hi when that happens.:)

I am done with episode 6 and i want to know what happens next but i have to wait. I am grateful for JK for taking care of SL but i can't wait for him to exit. :D I know that as the real father of the child he will surely appear again but i hope that by then SL had already learned to love YZ. :) The synopsis in wikipedia states that she will one day and i really hope that we will see that in the drama at the end. To expect for a happy ending in a historical drama is not recommended but i can't help it and i will still continue to hope because that's the only option that i have, wait and hope.:)

But for royalty in ancient turbulent time with wars raging and political instability, cruelty is needed otherwise you can be killed or at least just become a puppet ruler. 

I will do the same :)

I already got many disappointments for expecting happy ending in dramas, but still I keep hoping for them *sigh* -_-

3 hours ago, raziela said:

Drama Panda episode recaps:  

Episode 1 recap: http://www.dramapanda.com/2017/08/first-episode-recap-kings-woman.html

Episode 2 recap: http://www.dramapanda.com/2017/08/the-kings-woman-episode-2-recap.html

Very helpful for those of us relying on subs...

Thank you so much for the links :lol:

What ever happened to the black tally Ying Zheng gave Li'er to use if she ever encountered Qin troops? I was just waiting for her to pull it out the whole time in episode 5 haha. Idk I'm used to thinking every detail is supposed to serve a purpose but maybe not unless I'm tripping and totally missed it.

I have to come clean with everyone. I do not understand what they're saying without english subs but i love watching them because seeing YZ and SL together is enough to make me wait for monday.

What i really want to see is the reaction of YZ once he knows that SL is with child. Bits of scenes were shown in the previews but i can't wait to see the whole conversation. I sometimes bite my nail when i think of it :D I am that affected:)

51 minutes ago, centuryold3 said:

What ever happened to the black tally Ying Zheng gave Li'er to use if she ever encountered Qin troops? I was just waiting for her to pull it out the whole time in episode 5 haha. Idk I'm used to thinking every detail is supposed to serve a purpose but maybe not unless I'm tripping and totally missed it.

I think she used it to meet YZ sooner. Being a wanted person is not enough reason to make you meet the man with the highest rank in the kingdom ASAP. But, honestly, i want to think that it is reserve for a secret rendezvous between them later on when SL is starting to fall for him.

22 hours ago, thunderman1 said:

There is a mysterious man in a hat wandering in the outskirts.. is this Han Shen? I don't recall reading much about him but does he also fall in love with Li Ji? She's such a popular woman!

@thunderman1: That's him.  He loves Li Ji  too but I'm not sure if it's as a woman or as an older brother. Agree with you Li Ji is certainly a popular girl.  From the trailers he is going to play a big role.

2 hours ago, meifang89 said:

Thank you for all the videos you post.. I love the score and songs used.  Please post if you find the theme song. i love it and the whole opening titles  They are so damn epic!

9 minutes ago, tudorrose said:

I have to come clean with everyone. I do not understand what they're saying without english subs but i love watching them because seeing YZ and SL together is enough to make me wait for monday.

What i really want to see is the reaction of YZ once he knows that SL is with child. Bits of scenes were shown in the previews but i can't wait to see the whole conversation. I sometimes bite my nail when i think of it :D I am that affected:).

I think a lot of us are in the same position as you with regards to needing subs.  My confession is that I haven't watched all the episodes yet. I watched the first couple of episodes raw and have watched scenes here and there enough that I can follow along with the conversation in the thread but  I'm going to wait a little longer until more episodes and English subs are out and then marathon watch as we will be well into the main plot by then:D

I think YZ will be furious when he finds out.  We've seen how possessive and quick tempered he can be. He essentially made Li Ji his woman which he can do as King and was kind enough to give her 3 months grace before entering the Palace and she slept with somebody else and got pregnant. But as we know he still covers for her  so he must have forgiven her.

I'm looking forward to the evolution of their relationship. Going into the Place Li Ji hates and fears him but will slowly fall in love with him despite herself and Ying Zheng is going to learn how to love rather than intimidating and ordering her around.

wowza, i'm hooked!! 6 episodes in and i already love it so much even though the angst is so real and i got so sad in episodes 5 and 6 and cried when she got back to JK and when she cried. on another note, she and yz just sizzled when they come on screen and that 1st meeting with him as YZ was intense. i am so feeling the sadness that i know JK will feel when he realizes what happened. 

with this one, i'm going in preparing myself for a tragic ending... i mean it's almost a given BUT i am hoping for a twist OR at least an open ending. 

ZBB is definitely lead material and this is the first drama i'm following of raba after ten miles of peach blossom. i'm totally loving both their acting. they're doing a great job and raba is always cute. glad to have watched her all last season of keep running. 

also, the preview for the next episode got me like, NOO!! i can't wait... hahahaha but i will. at least it's 2 episodes every tues, wed, and thur. 

i am so happy that dramafever picked it up as i much prefer them than viki. i watched 1 episode on viki and they kept the chinese subtitles while i like how dramafever doesn't have that... just the english subs so to me, much less distraction.

2 hours ago, centuryold3 said:

^^ me too!! i was waiting for her to use it but i didn't see it happen. LOL

Archived