23 hours ago, dramalover1 said:

I dunno. Not all kings had:

power = fear = protection

Some kings had 

Discord = Power = Authority

^ Sukjung of Korea's method.

Taejong: Purge = Power = Strong nation

Jeongjo: Perfection = Power

@dramalover1  This is the other great takeaway from this forum and so true about the Korean kings that you pointed out.  I would agree with this - no one beat Taejong on purging and Sukjung used his concubines to play off the different sects, and Jeongjo drove himself into the grave with perfection.  After him, the Yi dynasty truly started to fall apart.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the raws were out for episode 46... SPOILER ALERT EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT UNDERSTAND SPOKEN MANDARIN AT ALL  so all in white [what exactly did YZ and Li-er talk about that caused her to be firm and then collapse emotionally all over him?  It was something about TM and her having taken him out of the palace... Han Shen looked confused or befuddled - this was one scene where I was not sure what Han Shen was trying to emote which made me wonder if the writers did not clearly articulate this for the actor either...and what YZ order? ] Thanks.

14 hours ago, rosamundekingsley99_stv said:

Look at the end of the day, this whole drama has pieces that are adorable but they pieces do not meld together seamlessly and because we are humans, we are trying to find logic and patterns in these characters' actions because we all have confirmation bias.  Instead of trying to find patterns, I have given up and decided that too many writers have created a massively unappetizing pudding - there is no grace maybe except for the soundtrack melodies.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Its beautiful on its own when you dissect it piece by piece. But when the final picture is put together, everything seems nonsensical, atrocious even. I like how you said it "a badly made pudding". My sentiments exactly. And the worst part is - they're shoving it down our throats. :(

Like you, I'm also an easy grader. In fact I'm more than forgiving (as I've mentioned earlier that I was). Well, I guess that's because I mostly watch hk dramas. I watch them because it's a language I'm fluent in - I dont quite fancy dealing with subtitles. Such a chore.

And, let me tell you, hk dramas are the worst of the lot. The harebrained plots, the absurdly drastic character transformation (sometimes in just 2 to 3eps) or the lack thereof (character development) from beginning to end, the chemistry deficit between leads (many times 3rd couple leads have more profound chemistry as they're mostly veterans) and most shockingly, the absence of eye candy (the main leads are always notoriously over aged - forties is the average). With all these factored in, I'm actually quite numb with all else in TKW.

I invested in because the earlier eps seems very promising. But where we are now, I'm a bit disillusioned. I wanted to believe they would've at least preserve and protect that very beautiful love that was built over a span of 10 years. Btw, TM is now 9 yo (the timeline still beats me though :huh:). 10 years is a substantial amount of time to build a solid love relationship that is worthy to be saved, selfless love notwithstanding. And "selfless love" or "unconditional love" is such a big word. As we are all selfish in our own way. So is their relationship. They were certainly conditions attached according to their own terms. And this is what makes it real. They bicker, they patch up. They tease, flirt, call each other nicknames just like all of us. And all these time (again 10 years), where's JK boy? He's been too busy drinking, whining, wallowing in self pity - basically lost all senses including any inch of love left in him. And here we're forced to believe maybe there's still a pinch of love between JK and Li??? Well, in this love relationship department, I must say this is by far the worst of all the hk dramas I've ever tolerated. I still can't get past this flaw.

Seen latest trailers again. Yet more disappointment. Seems like both our hero and herioine are playing mind games ala cat and mouse style. More trust and betrayal issues again. 

Felt deceived into believing and rooting for YZ and Li, cos they've surely come a full circle. Now they're at the starting point again. It seems their relationship has a recognisable pattern with an infinity loop that will never end. If so, this relationship is just doomed from the very beginning. Again, just plain bad and lazy writing. 

Everything is just so messy and irrational - this pudding is leaving a real bad aftertaste. It's nauseating. I dont even know if there's any saving grace or redeeming qualities anymore.... as of now. Quietly trying to stay hopeful till the end though ... 

And yes dear, its all our human nature to nitpick as per our biases. If I had known the writers/producers, I would've thrown this pudding right into their faces!!!. But i don't, so this is the only platform to share, discuss, analyse and rant even. So comrades, bring it on here. :)

2 hours ago, nna125 said:

ep 48 preview

Thanks! I just saw this preview and a bit confused, YZ seems more powerful than JK, what happen to JK's incredible sword skill he learned in the cave? JK can kill the king with his hulu skill though....but anyway, I love seeing the way YZ kicks the table (well done ZBB!) towards JK, YZ looks very superior and dominant, even JK can't do anything about it. And the last minute scene, I supposed to be neutral about this, both have done wrong but the way YZ looks at Li'er, his sad-fragile-frustation face, it breaks my heart.

1 hour ago, Irish_law said:

Thanks! I just saw this preview and a bit confused, YZ seems more powerful than JK, what happen to JK's incredible sword skill he learned in the cave? JK can kill the king with his hulu skill though....but anyway, I love seeing the way YZ kicks the table (well done ZBB!) towards JK, YZ looks very superior and dominant, even JK can't do anything about it. And the last minute scene, I supposed to be neutral about this, both have done wrong but the way YZ looks at Li'er, his sad-fragile-frustation face, it breaks my heart.

It's supposed to be JK's heroic moment where maybe he can redeem himself from all his sore loser moments that we've been tormented earlier. Sadly, even in this duel he cant precisely nailed the emotions/expressions required of him. I find it strange too that with his towering height, he doesn't command screen presence. He could've used it to his advantage but he just doesnt seem to carry the aura and the charisma of a decent actor.  And not to mention his screen time with ZBB, he just drowns. Cant even hold a candle to ZBB at all. 

I used to wonder which is worse - his character role as a whole or the actor playing the role. I can safely say now it's the quintessential combination of both the actor AND the role. Gosh, this boy is really that bad. He's in dire need of acting classes. He made dumb (himself) look dumber (his role). 

7 hours ago, rosamundekingsley99_stv said:

I enjoy the BTS but the BTS also clearly demonstrates that DD is not comfortable with intense scenes.

@shimshimae Written on my wall and in my notebook.  Great takeway!

Yup. She looked uncomfortable. I think an acting workshop and some more practice would have helped her feel comfortable but anyways. Pudding gone bad already. What use. Lol

And thanks! ^_^

@briaes totally agree LOL JK is just torturous to watch and poor thing seems to be working hard also. Acting clearly isn't everyone's forte. Thank God, ZBB is good. Lol

Is EP 48 the end?

I feel everything is so rushed like the characters never properly settled down and it's already the end? :/

3 hours ago, shimshimae said:

totally agree LOL JK is just torturous to watch and poor thing seems to be working hard also. Acting clearly isn't everyone's forte. Thank God, ZBB is good. Lol

Yes. I was also told here that 48 is the end. I'm glad it is cos this pudding is so emotionally and mentally draining.  

Like many here, I also love ZBB's friendly banter in the BTS. It really shows his true age. So playful, perky and eager. Love his free spirited approach to ease himself into such a dark and complicated role.  And the funniest part is - he's like a switch. Once the director yells and the camera starts rolling, he springs into action pronto - his mood, body language, style, direction etc all flows naturally. 

Oh BTW, I saw on twitter that ZBB won the Best New Actor Award at the Weibo Fashion Awards last month. But I couldn't find any sources to verify this news. Anyone can confirm? 

6 minutes ago, briaes said:

Yes. I was also told here that 48 is the end. I'm glad it is cos this pudding is so emotionally and mentally draining.  

Like many here, I also love ZBB's friendly banter in the BTS. It really shows his true age. So playful, perky and eager. Love his free spirited approach to ease himself into such a dark and complicated role.  And the funniest part is - he's like a switch. Once the director yells and the camera starts rolling, he springs into action pronto - his mood, body language, style, direction etc all flows naturally. 

@briaes Aside from ZBB's true, it also demonstrates his abilities to switch on and off and to decompress because YZ is a very intense role.  People who take their acting craft seriously will have an extremely playful, prankster-like edge and he has that.  Aside from the fact that the actor who plays JK literally has no screen presence and I believe that I read DD had to stand on a stool to eliminate some of the extreme height differences.  But even in footage, the actor who plays JK does not play around.

My favorite ZBB BTS is the one where he is dancing like crazy (cringeworthy crazy) after production has ended and tries to persuade everyone else to do it.  What strikes me the most about all his BTS moments is how unself-conscious he is - he is not really worried how he looks or what other people will think whereas DD clearly is worried about her "image" and the other actors seem to worry how they will look on camera so you can watch them peeking at the camera angle from the corner.  ZBB get sillier the moment the camera is in his face and does not seem to care how he looks which is how an actor should be.

Episode 48 preview is interesting because it implies that YZ and Li-er are back where they are at square one - YZ must be the one to kill Li-er and it makes sense because indirectly he has been the cause of death for his other concubines.  It would be fitting if YZ actually sliced Li-er to death - he seems to directly kill those he cares about or has a grudge with.

I am sure that if we all re-watched this whole drama, we could probably piece together which writer probably wrote which part because YZ has been the most fairly consistent character other than episodes 41-42 when he fell apart, which personally I did not understand.  JK has been consistent because he is so BORING and pouty; the one that probably had too many writers was Li-er - every time I watched her, I felt like she was Joanne Woodward's character from the old Hollywood movie about mental illness - "The Many Faces of Eve."  Egads.

:bawling: what have they done!!! :confounded: 

I think Lier tries to stop JK from going into the palace to assassinate YZ by telling that girl to drug him with a odour. YZ will inturn drug Lier so she wont stop him from killing JK. Becos shes a fighter her body is strong enough to fight off the drug and was able to enter the palace court to stop YZ. So they both will charge towards each other. 

5 hours ago, shimshimae said:

Is EP 48 the end?

Looks like it...i thought it ends at ep 50...WTF!! Im so disappointed.I knew Chinese dramas never ends well and for this reason I never could finish their dramas this one just proves it. I feel so sorry for ZBB who is carrying this drama. But despite this dramas MANY flaws his proven his abilities and I hope he gets better opportunties and one with a better acting partner to challenge him more. 

@briaes

Spoiler

I once upon a time loved HK dramas, now it seems their idols are leaving them to venture into the Chinese market. They use to have many great actors and actresses but sadly their acting conditions were so bad that many left and so did I. I cannot watch those dramas anymore unless i see the return of my fav stars whom can act. All the current newbies are a shocker just like DD. :dissapointed: I was like you whom didnt like to try other dramas because eng subs will be like a chore but I couldnt handle the actors iin HK so I dropped them entirely

1 hour ago, briaes said:

Oh BTW, I saw on twitter that ZBB won the Best New Actor Award at the Weibo Fashion Awards last month. But I couldn't find any sources to verify this news. Anyone can confirm? 

He won the most powerful new male star award. 

http://news.iresearch.cn/content/2017/09/270343.shtml

12 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

:bawling: what have they done!!! :confounded: 

I think Lier tries to stop JK from going into the palace to assassinate YZ by telling that girl to drug him with a odour. YZ will inturn drug Lier so she wont stop him from killing JK. Becos shes a fighter her body is strong enough to fight off the drug and was able to enter the palace court to stop YZ. So they both will charge towards each other. 

Looks like it...i thought it ends at ep 50...WTF!! Im so disappointed.I knew Chinese dramas never ends well and for this reason I never could finish their dramas this one just proves it. I feel so sorry for ZBB who is carrying this drama. But despite this dramas MANY flaws his proven his abilities and I hope he gets better opportunties and one with a better acting partner to challenge him more. 

@briaes

Hide contents

I once upon a time loved HK dramas, now it seems their idols are leaving them to venture into the Chinese market. They use to have many great actors and actresses but sadly their acting conditions were so bad that many left and so did I. I cannot watch those dramas anymore unless i see the return of my fav stars whom can act. All the current newbies are a shocker just like DD. :dissapointed: I was like you whom didnt like to try other dramas because eng subs will be like a chore but I couldnt handle the actors iin HK so I dropped them entirely

Lord, we have completely jumped the shark!  Forget about ending well - nothing about this makes any sense.  It is an infinity loop.

And the Li-er drugging JK, YZ drugging Li-er, good Lord - is this supposed to represent mirror images of each other?

Back to square one.  Back to where we started except that YZ will lose all his illusions and come out of the ashes more ruthless than ever?  He will be a claw-ful Phoenix, as opposed to a claw-less Phoenix (aka Lan Ling Wang)?

And Li-er?  She looks pained but I just think it is because DD cannot act.  She always seems too late except when she usually saves YZ - except there is no saving YZ now, at least, his heart has departed.

In some of the shots in this trailer, ZBB is starting to master the microexpressions that convey a host of conflicting emotions so good for him on that.  Otherwise, DD looks and acts the same whether it was episodes 23-24, 37-38, 41-42 - her frowns and her parted lips are the same all around.  Her expression does not change when she charges and ZBB's does because he has resolved himself to killing her.  And seriously, if he defeated JK (who mastered all the swan moves - again, why?) so handily because he is YZ, why couldn't he kill Li-er?  What makes her different?  Seriously - this is where this defies all drama illogic and has ended up in a black hole.

this just turned up the farcical nonsense to the next level 

agree with @Kasmic ZBB single-handedly is shouldering this drama

31 minutes ago, nna125 said:

He won the most powerful new male star award. 

I hope this means more recognition and better projects!

@rosamundekingsley99_stv definitely, love his BTS, he's adorably goofy. They should have made that into the actual drama goofy emperor Qin LOL, it would be wayyyyyyy better than this tortured pudding

59 minutes ago, rosamundekingsley99_stv said:

Lord, we have completely jumped the shark!  Forget about ending well - nothing about this makes any sense.  It is an infinity loop.

And the Li-er drugging JK, YZ drugging Li-er, good Lord - is this supposed to represent mirror images of each other?

Back to square one.  Back to where we started except that YZ will lose all his illusions and come out of the ashes more ruthless than ever?  He will be a claw-ful Phoenix, as opposed to a claw-less Phoenix (aka Lan Ling Wang)?

And Li-er?  She looks pained but I just think it is because DD cannot act.  She always seems too late except when she usually saves YZ - except there is no saving YZ now, at least, his heart has departed.

In some of the shots in this trailer, ZBB is starting to master the microexpressions that convey a host of conflicting emotions so good for him on that.  Otherwise, DD looks and acts the same whether it was episodes 23-24, 37-38, 41-42 - her frowns and her parted lips are the same all around.  Her expression does not change when she charges and ZBB's does because he has resolved himself to killing her.  And seriously, if he defeated JK (who mastered all the swan moves - again, why?) so handily because he is YZ, why couldn't he kill Li-er?  What makes her different?  Seriously - this is where this defies all drama illogic and has ended up in a black hole.

In regards to how JK suddenly looses to YZ in a fight I thought perhaps maybe one of his men was captured and tortured hence why he stopped his fight and was willing to give in his life to set the other free. I cant make out who the other guy is. Oh well doesnt matter this drama has just lost it's plot. 

Im sticking to watching this promo instead. ZBB as the legendary Qin Emperor taking selfies.... :blush: I need the laughter than this  ludicrous ending :D

Archived