[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

tompark

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is Lee Bo Young's dram but for the role of the kidnapped child, it's important and  I want Heo Jung Eun. Have you guys seen Oh My Geumbi? (I cried every ep)  She's  the best child actress I've seen to date. Should have won best actress. Not just CHILD actress but best actress! That's the consensus of esp intl viewers. Brilliant acting! I swear. she'd put to shame others who are well known or those idols. (You will say the same thing once you've seen the drama) and you'd want for her to win Daesang. That's how excellent she showed her acting.

But I also don't mind Shin Rin-Ah (Defendant, Marriage Contract) or Kal So Won ( Doctors,GT).

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/889023977934520321/thMtoVlY?format=jpg&name=600x314

On 7/27/2017 at 10:20 AM, quockhanh45 said:

I'm a bit disappointed with the news. I thought they are casting child lead role but they just add a director after one month. Since Chicago Typewriter was filming rushed, I don't want this drama was filming rushed too.

They need the director more then actors right now. I am sure the casting continues. We`ll find out more informations soon. Until January they have time to prepare for the filming.

55 minutes ago, jongski said:

I know this is Lee Bo Young's dram but for the role of the kidnapped child, it's important and  I want Heo Jung Eun.

I read that everyone wants her to be cast and I don`t see why not. She doesn`t have a filming right now and she is on wave. After being on the spotlight last year, I think the production will give her a call. This drama has an important role for the child actor and it is a good oportunity for any young actors. But I trust the casting. They will find a good actress.

• 4 months later...

Lee Bo Young, Lee Hye Young, And More Attend First Script Reading For New tvN Drama “Mother” 

mother3.jpg

tvN’s upcoming drama “Mother” has officially marked the beginning of its production with pictures of its first script reading.

“Mother” is a remake of the 2010 Japanese drama of the same name. It tells the story of a woman who decides to become a mother for a girl suffering from abuse. The drama has been gaining attention due to its cast members including Lee Bo Young and Lee Hye Young.

“Mother” will be directed by Kim Chul Gyu, who previously worked on dramas such as “Hwang Jin Yi,” “On the Way to the Airport,” and “Chicago Typewriter.” Jung Seo Kyung, who is known for writing the movie “The Handmaiden,” is in charge of the script.

The first script reading for “Mother” was held on November 1. Lee Bo Young, Heo Yool, Lee Hye Young, Go Sung HeeLee Jae Yoon, as well as the director and the writer were present. About four hours flew by as the cast focused on reading their lines.

Lee Bo Young plays the role of Soo Jin, a temporary teacher at an elementary school who attempts to become a mother for Hye Na. She embraced the concept of maternal love in her acting, shifting the tone of her voice according to the scene. “I had to choose this drama because I’m a ‘mother’,” Lee Bo Young said.

Casting Hye Na, the abused child who is more mature than she needs to be, reportedly required the deepest contemplation. In the end, Heo Yool was chosen for the part. During the script reading, the child actress read out her lines in a calm, soft voice that made everyone agree that she was the best choice for the role of Hye Na.

Lee Hye Young played the part of a beautiful and charismatic actress Young Shin, a woman in her 60s who had raised three daughters by herself. Soo Jin (played by Lee Bo Young) is one of her daughters.

Mother1.jpg

Go Sung Hee and Lee Jae Yoon also showcased great acting skills as they read their lines. Even though it was her first time playing the role of a mother, Sung Hee perfectly embodied Hye Na’s biological mother Ja Young with her hysterical voice and facial expressions. Ja Young is a selfish character who puts the quality of her life over her daughter’s. Lee Jae Yoon plays the role of doctor Jin Hong and will function as a sort of benefactor for Soo Jin and Hye Na.

After the script reading was over, producing director Kim Chul Gyu said, “I think it’ll be hard filming in the cold winter, but I hope ‘Mother’ will provide heartwarming comfort.” He added that the drama will tell a touching story without any complicated techniques.

The production staff of “Mother” shared, “The scene of the script reading was a perfect combination of the cast’s passion and acting skills, director Kim Chul Gyu’s trendy directing, and writer Jung Seo Kyung’s emotional scripts.”

“Mother” is set to premiere in January.

Source (1)

@sin hoonsim Thanks. Finally an update! The first thing that I check.. who was going to play the abused kidnapped child.cos that's a central character in this drama.  The one that I like didn't get the  part ( but it's ok HGE is doing. Mr. Sunshine)  Thanks for the update! really happy they have script reading. But January?  just several weeks from mow 2018.

A Cold And Tense Teacher In New Stills For Upcoming Drama “Mother” 

Lee-Bo-Young.jpg

Lee Bo Young has transformed into a cold teacher in new stills for tvN’s upcoming Wednesday-Thursday drama “Mother.”

“Mother” is set to begin airing in January and is a heart-breaking story of love and family between a teacher and an eight-year-old girl who was abandoned by her mother. Based on the well-made Japanese drama of the same name that won four awards at the Tokyo Drama Awards, “Mother” is set to start 2018 on a high for tvN.

Lee Bo Young will be playing Soo Jin, a researcher in ornithology in her thirties who decides to become a mother for a child who carries a lot of pain inside. Soo Jin ends up working as a temporary science teacher at an elementary school and meets Hye Na (played by Heo Yool), who ends up burrowing her way into Soo Jin’s heart.

The stills show Lee Bo Young focusing on her class material with a hardened gaze in her eyes. The cold aura that she gives off with her neat outfit and crossed arms is different from the image many people have of warm and caring elementary school teachers. Lee Bo Young’s character still feels awkward around children and the lack of expression on her face reflects the tension in the classroom. It will be interesting to learn how she went from being in a research lab to teaching children at a school.

Lee-Bo-Young-2.jpg

Though Lee Bo Young maintained her cold demeanor when cameras were rolling, as soon as each scene was over, she’d burst into laughter with the kids sitting around her. The production staff stated, “Lee Bo Young’s character seems like a cold woman on the outside, but the warmth she’s been holding in her heart begins to surface when she starts connecting with Hye Na. Lee Bo Young has been perfectly portraying Soo Jin, right down to the smallest of details. We hope viewers will stay tuned to watch her transformation in the drama.”

“Mother” will be the follow-up drama to “Prison Playbok” and is scheduled to begin airing in January 2018. By Soompi

I love the teasers that have been released so far. I think they did an admirable job in wetting the viewers' appetite and making us want to see more of the drama!

The decision to have the child turn away from the camera in the second teaser, I believe, is to recreate the wonderful image from the poster of the original J-drama, with the teacher facing forward while the child has her back turned. I'm sure the child's role will be given the prominence it deserves in the K-drama as well. Apparently, the team went through several hundreds of auditions before picking this particular child actress, so I think she will be given a large, crucial role.

As for LBY, I think she is a very beautiful and talented actress, and somehow still underrated in Korea. She did an awesome job in portraying a desperate mother trying to prevent the murder of her child in God's Gift: 14 Days, and it is almost criminal that she didn't get an award of any kind for her fantastic work in playing a role that is both emotionally and physically draining. I'm expecting similarly brilliant work from her in the upcoming drama, and can't wait to watch it :)

Ahh.. there's the kidnapped child. Thanks for the poster updates.  I've been waiting for this since last year. 

I hope this kdrama version will be good. I read  writer is the one who did Handmaiden. I wasn't feeling the other dorama version tvN made for The Liar and his Lover. However the k drama version  of Solomons Perjury ( from JTBC) was very well made.

@larus and others... is this preproduced?

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] Emotionally Charged Posters and Stills for "Mother - Drama"

photo927717.jpg

The parent-child relationship is perhaps the most crucial one in mapping one's life further into adulthood and tvN's "Mother - Drama" is diving into some complicated mother and daughter bonds. The series has released stills of the two heroines smiling while locked in a hug, and remembering the context of this relationship truly stings during such moments.

The drama has also released simple, yet effective posters portraying its central mothers and daughters. In the main one with the two heroines, Soo-jin (Lee Bo-young) hugs Hye-na (Heo Yool-I), but her pensive look is a reminder of her choice and its gravity. The text repeats what we have heard in the teasers, "Can you call teacher (me) mom?"

The group poster featuring Hye-na's biological mother, Ja-yeong (Ko Sung-hee) and Soo-jin's own mother, Yeong-sin (Lee Hye-young-I) is less tender and you could cut the tension it creates with a knife. I love all the little details revealing the characters' potential thoughts and relationships here. You don't need much to say a lot and this poster speaks volumes.

Soo-jin and Hye-na hugging

Soo-jin is grabbing, rather than holding Hye-na. The text beside her reads "I never intended to become a mother". As much as she cares about the little girl, she is still a kidnapper, someone under great pressure, and constantly alert. Hye-na's look of anger mixed with anticipation as she looks to her neglecting mother is heartbreaking. Ja-yeong looks defiant and distant while on the other end, Yeong-sin reaches out to her own daughter.

The individual posters have their own lines as well. Soo-jin is once again speaking to Hye-na. "You're now abandoning your mother. You can do it, right?" Yeong-sin's role as a single mother is once again brought to the forefront through the words "Without a husband, I raised my children well". Lastly, Ja-yeong addresses Hye-na as well. "Hye-na, mom is happy. You're good, too, right?"

The heroine's own role as a daughter and her relationship with her mother is one I did not get to when watching the original Japanese drama, so I'm curious to see what Yeong-sin will be like. I'm curious about all of these characters and about the way the drama will handle the moral implications of its heroine's decision. "Mother - Drama" will shake up our emotions starting January 24th.

Spoiler

Main poster

Main Poster - Soo-jin and Hye-naCharacter Poster - Soo-jin

Character Poster - Ja-yeongCharacter Poster - Yeong-sin

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

https://www.hancinema.net/orion-s-daily-ramblings-emotionally-charged-posters-and-stills-for-mother--drama-114011.html?

On 03.01.2018 at 9:22 AM, jongski said:

@larus and others... is this preproduced?

I think the filming started in November so they filmed a lot of episodes. Maybe all the episodes will be ready when the drama starts broadcast.

Tight embraces and secret flights for tvN’s Mother

by javabeans

mother_1.jpg

The protectiveness is palpable in these character posters for tvN’s upcoming drama Mother, in which a teacher discovers that one of her students is being abused at home and decides to kidnap her. Lee Bo-young (Whisper) plays that teacher, who cradles her student (Heo Yool) to herself in the promos.

In the top poster, her character asks, “Can you call your teacher ‘Mother’?” while below in the wider group image, the copy tells us, “I absolutely tried not to become a mother.” That’s because the teacher character starts out rather cold, and it’s through her efforts to save the eight-year-old Hye-na that she develops a mother-daughter bond that melts her heart. In the other poster below featuring Lee Bo-young, the copy reads, “You are now throwing away your mother, can you do that?”

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/01/tight-embraces-and-secret-flights-for-tvns-mother/

@titania1000 That's interesting, because I heard that several other A-list actresses were considered for this role before it went to LBY.

In any case, I'm just hoping for a good drama. I have to admit that I didn't see the original J-drama, so I don't have any point of reference to compare this upcoming series to. However, I plan to avoid seeing the original before seeing this one, since I feel that doing so allows me to better judge the K-drama on its own merits. If the drama can move me emotionally, and make me care about its characters and what they have to go through, then I will feel that it is already successful, even if it does add its own spin to the original story.

48 minutes ago, jfritz09 said:

That's interesting, because I heard that several other A-list actresses were considered for this role before it went to LBY.

In any case, I'm just hoping for a good drama. I have to admit that I didn't see the original J-drama, so I don't have any point of reference to compare this upcoming series to. However, I plan to avoid seeing the original before seeing this one, since I feel that doing so allows me to better judge the K-drama on its own merits. If the drama can move me emotionally, and make me care about its characters and what they have to go through, then I will feel that it is already successful, even if it does add its own spin to the original story.

From what I remember the role was offered to Lee Bo young from the beginning but I am sure they had a long list in case she would not be confirmed to star in this drama. When she got the offer she had another role in works.

I watched the original but I am sure the Korean version will be good as well. If you did not watch the original version yet, it is better that you decided to watch the new version.  The Japanese drama had 11 episodes. How many episodes will have the Korean one? 12 or 16?

1 hour ago, Tango27 said:

if I am not wrong , the korean child looks older than the Japanese and the Turkish versions .... maybe because it includes abuse , they chose an older child ....just a thought.

I think they chose a girl who can act better the role. I guess that they held auditions for the child actor and she was their choice. Being a little older or younger doesn`t matter much. JMO. :)

Image may contain: 3 people, text

[UPCOMING DRAMA]

Title: Mother / 마더
Network: tvN
Release date: January 24, 2018

Starring: 
Lee Bo-Young
Heo-Yoo
Lee Hye-Young
Ko Sung-Hee

NOTE: It is a remake of the award-winning 2010 Japanese TV series of the same title.

teaser clip: https://youtu.be/48J7eoiWtwo

Synopsis © to: AsianWiki

https://www.facebook.com/KoreanDramaOverdose/photos/a.733646190167360.1073741831.715732635292049/733645036834142/?type=3&theater

Archived