[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

tompark

K-Drama Reaction: Mother | Final

vlcsnap-2018-03-24-19h18m52s433.png

After a long journey of sacrifices, forgiveness, and healing, we’ve finally reached the end. The road was surely not easy but it taught us a lot of lessons about life, motherhood, and unconditional love.

Soo-jin (Lee Bo-young)’s bid to adopt Yoon Bok (Heo Yool) was proven not easy. Just because her probation period was over doesn’t mean her criminal record has been erased. And with the home group mom bent on giving Yoon Bok what she deemed a better future for her, Soo-jin had a difficult time proving she’s fit to become her mother. Honestly, I almost lost hope that Soo-jin would be able to adopt Yoon Bok because the home group mother wouldn’t concede to her. But just like any mother who couldn’t take to see their child wallowing in sadness and becoming sick, she finally decided that it’s best to give her to Soo-jin whom she sees as her true mother. The scene where Yoon Bok finally called her home group mother “mom” after she entrusted her to Soo-jin showed that she wasn’t ungrateful to her. It’s just that she just wanted to be sure, she’ll get reunited with her Soo-jin. Isn’t she clever?

I believe Mother was able to provide us the best ending there could be. Each minute of the last episode was spent wisely to give us the most satisfying resolution not only around Soo-jin and Yoon Bok’s story but as well as to those of the supporting characters. I was very happy to see Yi-jin (Jeon Hye-jin)’s character change: from being the selfish daughter to becoming the owner of a love house for kids without parents. Cha Young-shin (Lee Hye-young)’s legacy did live on.

FULL: https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/03/24/k-drama-reaction-mother-finale/

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is anyone coming by this tread wondering:

• whether or not you want to watch this drama
  • if it will be too depressing to watch
  • if it's worth the time

I will say, prepare your heart and mind to watch one of the most moving, well written, best acted, best directed drama you will ever see. With each episode you feel as if the situation may be hopeless, but at the same time each episode leaves you hopeful.  Also, be ready to explore what the word "mother" means to you. 

You are in for a treat if you decide to add this drama to your watch list. Yes, you will need a box of Kleenex, but it's not a devastating sadness, some of the scenes are just so touching, meaningful and real. I think that's why it touched me emotionally. 

Enjoy!

One of the most touching and meaningful drama so far. I wept and wept. My husband asked if I was seriously crying about the drama ! It was so touching ! 

I would like to see more drama starring "Yoon Bok". She is so good !

• 2 weeks later...

I saw today that the Mother team is up for several awards in the 54th BaeksangArts Awards 2018:

. Mother was nominated for Best TV Drama

. LBY was nominated for Best Actress

. Heo Yool was nominated for Best New Actress

. Kim Chul Kyu was nominated for Best Director

I hope they all will win. They all deserve the recognition.

These nominations came earlier than I expected. I thought that usually awards shows take place at the end of the year?

unfortunately.. mother has not received any international media coverage  at the Canneseries festival

the rest of the shows from Europe have been highlighted ... this means mother has zero chances 

it must be the very low profile of korean TV abroad and absence of support .. 

anyway

pics from the red carpet 

201804101444096710_2.jpg

201804101444096710_1.jpg

Image result for ë§ë tvn

Image result for ë§ë tvn

On 4/6/2018 at 12:31 PM, jfritz09 said:

These nominations came earlier than I expected. I thought that usually awards shows take place at the end of the year?

Baeksang Awards are in the spring, legitimate recognition, aside from the station ones at end of year. :)

They are in great companies, I am pulling hard for Heo Yool but Won Jin-Ah was great as well in JBL.  Kim Nam-Joo likewise delivered solidly in Misty.  Lee Bo Young was wonderful in her role.  Secret Forest is the heavy favorite here.

Good luck to the Mother team.

Spoiler

54th Baeksang Awards Nominees in TV (2018)

Best Drama 
tvN Mother
tvN Secret Forest
JTBC Misty
KBS Fight My Way
KBS My Golden Life

Best Actor
Kim Sang-Joong (Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People)
Park Seo-Joon (Fight My Way)
Jang Hyuk (Money Flower)
Cho Seung-Woo (Secret Forest)
Chun Ho-Jin (My Golden Life)

Best Actress
Kim Nam-Joo (Misty)
Kim Sun-Ah (Woman of Dignity)
Kim Hee-Sun (Woman of Dignity)
Shin Hye-Sun (My Golden Life)
Lee Bo-Young (Mother)

Best Supporting Actor
Park Ho-San (Prison Playbook)
Bong Tae-Gyu (Return)
Ahn Jae-Hong (Fight My Way)
Yoo Jae-Myung (Secret Forest)
Jung Sang-Hoon (Woman of Dignity)

Best Supporting Actress
Na Young-Hee (My Golden Life)
Ra Mi-Ran (Avengers Social Club)
Song Ha-Yoon (Fight My Way)
Ye Ji-Won (Should We Kiss First)
Jeon Hae-Jin (Misty)

Best New Actor
Kim Jung-Hyun (School 2017)
Park Hae-Soo (Prison Playbook)
Yang Se-Jong (Degree of Love)
Woo Do-Hwan (Save Me)
Lee Kyu-Hyung (Secret Forest)

Best New Actress
Dasom (Sister is Alive)
Kim Sejeong (School 2017)
Seo Eun-Soo (My Golden Life)
Won Jin-Ah (Just Between Lovers)
Heo Yool (Mother)

Credit:  IBT

On 4/6/2018 at 10:31 PM, jfritz09 said:

I saw today that the Mother team is up for several awards in the 54th BaeksangArts Awards 2018:

. Mother was nominated for Best TV Drama

. LBY was nominated for Best Actress

. Heo Yool was nominated for Best New Actress

. Kim Chul Kyu was nominated for Best Director

korean awards are all driven by popularity  agenda and since this year is hosted by the channel jtbc

they are obviously pushing their drama misty and kim nam joo to win... everybody is saying that

of course mother and forest of secrets are the only worthy contenders here 

6 hours ago, Tango27 said:

korean awards are all driven by popularity  agenda and since this year is hosted by the channel jtbc

they are obviously pushing their drama misty and kim nam joo to win... everybody is saying that

of course mother and forest of secrets are the only worthy contenders here 

Isn't Misty also Kim Nam Joo's comeback project after a very long hiatus? She may also get some extra votes due to that...

Don't get me wrong, she did a great job in Misty, and that drama is my second favorite drama for this year (of course you all know what my most favorite drama is :) ). However, I would rank LBY's performance in Mother a bit higher than KNJ's performance. I actually found Ji Jin Hee's performance the best one in Misty.

they did not get anything from Cannes ... like I expected the festival was all about politics and big budget

I seriously doubt that they  even watched the shows ... 

the whole thing was a flop 

I wonder if they got any buyers at least 

On 11.4.2018 at 12:49 AM, jfritz09 said:

Isn't Misty also Kim Nam Joo's comeback project after a very long hiatus? She may also get some extra votes due to that...

Don't get me wrong, she did a great job in Misty, and that drama is my second favorite drama for this year (of course you all know what my most favorite drama is :) ). However, I would rank LBY's performance in Mother a bit higher than KNJ's performance. I actually found Ji Jin Hee's performance the best one in Misty.

I only watched mother and whisper and forest of secrets these last years

I no longer watch korean shows except when my favs are there

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An underrated drama but one of the best this year.  Congrats Mother for your Baeksang Awards and to Heo Yool, you totally deserve the New Actress Award.  Will be following your career.  Fantastic job in the drama little girl.

Winners of The 54th Baeksang Arts Awards 

20180504000660_0.jpg

Television categories:

Grand Prize: “Stranger”
Best Drama: “Mother
Best Variety Show: “Hyori’s Homestay”
Best Cultural Program: “Dance Sports Girls”
Best Director: Kim Yoon Chul (“Woman of Dignity”)
Best Actor: Cho Seung Woo (“Stranger”)
Best Actress: Kim Nam Joo (“Misty”)
Best Supporting Actor: Park Ho San (“Prison Playbook”)
Best Supporting Actress: Ye Ji Won (“Should We Kiss First“)
Best New Actor: Yang Se Jong (“Degree of Love“)
Best New Actress: Heo Yool (“Mother”)
Best Male Variety Star: Seo Jang Hoon (“Ask Us Anything,” “Same Bed Different Dreams 2”)
Best Female Variety Star: Song Eun Yi (“Omniscient Interference Time”)
Best Script: Lee Soo Yeon (“Stranger”)
Art Award: Choi Sung Woo (“Pilgrimage”)
Star Century Popularity Award: Jung Hae In, Suzy
Bazaar Icon Award: After School’s Nana

Congratulations to all the winners!

Source (1) (2) (3)

Spoiler

Congrats to the Mother team!

The awards that it got (Best Drama and Best New Actress for HY) were totally deserved.

On a side note, LBY looked stunning walking on the red carpet with HY by her side...  :)

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2018 at 3:33 PM, jfritz09 said:

Congrats to the Mother team!

The awards that it got (Best Drama and Best New Actress for HY) were totally deserved.

On a side note, LBY looked stunning walking on the red carpet with HY by her side...  :)

Sorry, but I feel a little cheated. I think Mother should have won every category it was nominated in--It should have also had best actor for the guy playing the abuser in this drama. The mother (actress) was also outstanding in her role. This drama had it all, including best director.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just watched and finished this drama 2 weeks ago. I was very pleased to watch it. I didn't see the original japanese drama. But I think that this version is worth it. The cast, the plot and story are amazing. Special congratulations to Lee Bo Young and the little girl actress. Their chemistry is astonishing. Many times, I cried like a baby as if I were personally touched by this situation. I'm happy to learn that a lot of awards have been distributed to them. It's totally normal. 

• 1 month later...

i did a fanvid about the story of seol ak and hey-na. in the end im thinking that heyna had the power over him with her innocent eyes and thoughts and they are through the same things with the realationship with thier mother but the different is thier faith.

i really like the scenes with of them it was very intense and i got scared for hey-na. hope you've like it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37wWlGPrkM&t=21s 

Archived