[Drama 2016-2017] Still Loving You 빛나라 은수, Mon-Fri 20:25. Thanks for watch!

0ly40

SYNOPSIS, EPISODE 9

Eun Soo's mother, in her hospital room, talks with Eun Soo. Eun Soo's mother worries that, since she is in the hospital, the Family Meeting with Good For Little Boyfriend's parents will have to be postponed. Eun Soo does not tell her that he has changed his status to Good For Nothing Ex-Boyfriend.

While Eun Soo's mother is using the restroom, Eun Soo watches the video of Halmoni's attack on Eun Soo on television. In his office, Rich Brat's father views the same video on television. The television news reports that the Office of Education is investigating the assault.

In her home, Eun Soo's grandmother also views the video on television and, recognizing Eun Soo, rushes out of the house.

Rich Brat walks dejectedly down a corridor at her school. She notices that other students are talking about her, and not in a nice way. She marches into the classroom and confronts formerly bullied student, accusing her of posting the video. Not me, formerly bullied student replies, I'm your accomplice in getting Eun Soo fired. Rich Brat sadly realizes that one of her "friends" must have posted the video.

Rich Brat notices that the other students are staring at her and protests. The students condemn Halmoni's actions and voice their suspicions about Rich Brat's assault claims. Just then, a student reports that Rich Brat's name is appearing in online reports of Halmoni's attack.

In the teachers' office, the Vice Principal struts about issuing orders: stop students from gossiping, seize their cell phones. The teachers all ignore him as they talk on their telephones.

At this moment, Eun Soo's grandmother arrives. As she is introducing herself to the Vice Principal, Halmoni bursts in. The Vice Principal bows ostentatiously to Halmoni, who blames him for the leak of the video. She demands that the student who posted the video be identified and punished.

The Vice Principal attempts to reason with Halmoni, but as he does so Eun Soo's grandmother recognizes Halmoni as the harridan in the video. As Halmoni begins to disparage Eun Soo, Eun Soo's grandmother warns her to watch her tongue.

The Vice Principal accuses Eun Soo's grandmother of causing a scene. She collapses when the Vice Principal informs her that Eun Soo has been fired. Halmoni begins to insult Eun Soo's grandmother, who falls to the floor. Halmoni continues to rant at her while she is on the floor.

Then Eun Soo's grandmother gets up again and gives the old mother of a dog what-for, getting several good licks in before she is restrained. The Vice Principal pompously orders her to leave. Halmoni is welcome to stay.

Good For Nothing Ex-Boyfriend takes Eun Soo's grandmother home and calls Eun Soo. While Eun Soo is en route from the hospital, Good For Nothing talks briefly with Eun Soo's grandmother. He admits that he dumped Eun Soo and "gets going." He greets Eun Soo coldly on his way out. Eun Soo explains Rich Brat's falsehoods to her grandmother. Her grandmother emotes. They weep together.

In her house, Halmoni is talking to a friend on her landline. Not Me. The woman on the video only looks like me. Guano! Her friend apparently replies, since Halmoni hangs up in frustration. What's the big deal? Halmoni asks herself.

Halmoni shouts for a glass of water. When the maid brings the water to her, Halmoni complains because the water is cold. Halmoni is like, You're fired! The maid is like, You can't fire me! I quit. And by the way, there are dirty dishes in the sink that you can wash. Halmoni is stunned.

In his restaurant, Club Jerk's father talks with two businessmen. They offer to buy his restaurant and one of his recipes for five million dollars.

In a department store, Club Jerk is buying up a storm with Omma's credit card. Omma receives a notification on her cell phone and calls Club Jerk to voice her displeasure. As she rings off, her husband arrives home. He asks her, hypothetically, what she would do with five million dollars. When she tells him, he has second thoughts and seeks advice on the proposed deal from his oldest son, who is studying abroad. They agree that nothing will be done about the offer until the son returns.

In the hospital two nurses are gossiping. They now know that Halmoni is the hospital president's mother in law. They discuss allegations on the Internet that Halmoni was exercised undue influence at the school and that, as a result, school personnel have treated her granddaughter "like a princess.

Rich Brat's father approaches the nurses and, overhearing them, is dismayed. As he walks down the corridor, he is aware that people are gossiping behind his back. He goes to his office and prepares a letter of resignation. He goes home and lays down the law to Halmoni and Rich Brat. Since the video cannot be suppressed and will only continue to spread on the Internet, Rich Brat must transfer to a school in the United States. They are shocked to hear that he has resigned from his job.

Eun Soo's mother undergoes surgery.

Seven years pass.

Eun Soo is an assistant teacher at a culinary school.

In a restaurant Club Jerk is listening as an acquaintance pitches a business plan for a videogame company. They agree to be partners: Club Jerk's money, his brains.

Shortly thereafter, Eun Soo is called to help break up a fight between Club Jerk and her brother.

Club Jerk objects to Eun Soo's intervention. They confront each other. She realizes that they have met before. She gives him the Hairy Eyeball.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, what happened? 

Did Eun Soo go to prison? 

Were Rich Brat's charges exposed as false?

Did the Vice Principal and Good For Nothing Ex-Boyfriend endure some richly deserved uncomfortable moments?

Did the school and Office of Education totally escape any liability for their mistreatment of Eun Soo?

The average K-Drama writer would have milked these loose ends for at least another week of episodes.

As it stands, Halmoni gets off scot free and Rich Brat enjoys a few years in America. 

Not  the red meet most viewers probably hoped for.

42 minutes ago, jimb said:

In a restaurant Eun Soo's brother is discussing a business plan he has developed for a videogame company with Club Jerk. They agree to be partners: his brains, Club Jerk's money.

I re-watched the part where the Club Jerk was talking about doing business with his "friend". The guy with the video game proposal is not ES's brother. ES's brother and the Club Jerk probably got into a fight after the latter's meeting with his friend as he's seen wearing the same set of clothes at the police station.

35 minutes ago, jimb said:

So, what happened? 

Did Eun Soo go to prison? 

Were Rich Brat's charges exposed as false?

Did the Vice Principal and Good For Nothing Ex-Boyfriend endure some richly deserved uncomfortable moments?

Did the school and Office of Education totally escape any liability for their mistreatment of Eun Soo?

The average K-Drama writer would have milked these loose ends for at least another week of episodes.

As it stands, Halmoni gets off scot free and Rich Brat enjoys a few years in America. 

Not  the red meet most viewers probably hoped for.

I wonder about the above scenarios too @jimb. I hope we viewers are given the "answers" to them in flashbacks ES or BN may have in the coming episodes:).

@jimb

I just read your recap EP9.  It sounds like the characters are on the boiler plate and underneath the writer turns heats on/off individually.   I don’t exactly know what it means but it sounds good “wails on the old mother of a dog,…”     wahaha   So there is a time jump happened in today’s episode.  Maybe I should start to watch it??

About the list of your questions,   perhaps  they might  be revealed later in between wailings(?) or @sk said ‘in  flashbacks’ ??   It’s just 9eps. I think it’s too early to see the writer let any red meat fly around.  This daily has still 111 eps left to fill with something.   :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets: 

@sk0317

Yes daily can be addictive in soompi land. I’m glad to see you in daily. A good summary     btw I think ‘poop’ is too literary for the general taste.   I would feel better with ‘garbage’. I don’t know why but the kdrama writers like to sprinkle with words like that too frequently and too casually.  Sometimes I watched daily while having my lunch.   huhuuu    :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

I could not login for some weeks and so could not say good bye to 'unusual family' soompiers. Suddenly, I can login, not sure what I did.  Nice to see familiar names. I am looking forward for us all to post what we think.

Many of us were surprised ( put off too) by the actress who became oh so sweet at the end of H. Promise, now she is playing the spoilt rich brat again! Can I predict that this will have a kumbaya ending :)?. Oh why not, as long as it is not too ridiculous.

She is quite old to play a 19 year old. But in unusual family, that little girl whom many of us did not like was supposed to be 4. I did not buy that. I  am also watching oh Geum Bi. She is playing  a 10 year old and her acting is just great.

i am watching KBS. The mother has been diagnosed with stomach cancer ( nothing like diabetes or high BP for K dramas :)) wonder how she is going to marry the doctor. Unless our heroine was adopted.

17 hours ago, booha said:

@sk0317

Yes daily can be addictive in soompi land. I’m glad to see you in daily. A good summary     btw I think ‘poop’ is too literary for the general taste.   I would feel better with ‘garbage’. I don’t know why but the kdrama writers like to sprinkle with words like that too frequently and too casually.  Sometimes I watched daily while having my lunch.   huhuuu    :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

So glad to see you here @booha:). I speed watch the other dailies too; "Golden Pouch" and "Love Bubbles". The latter gives off very strong "Be Strong, Geum Soon!" vibes. I notice and find it interesting the lead actresses in "BSGS", "Love Bubbles" and "She was Pretty" had frizzy or permed hair before their transformation.

The Korean words for money and poop, rain and blood, wind and adultery sound similar to a non-native of the Korean language. So it is important to get the pronunciation correct to avoid misunderstanding:sweatingbullets:. And yes I have to agree with you the direct translation for the word 'poop' is too "graphic" and does make our stomach turn when we are watching a drama during mealtimes:sweatingbullets:. I hope I didn't ruin your lunch...m(_ _)m

Have a nice weekend and please take care @booha!

After the peanuts-rage Korean Air heiress was found guilty by the Korean court, I think for BN's grandma's to get away scott free would be difficult in real life. Afterall her family is not in thebillionaire category.

Korea is a high tech country, surely there are CCTVs everywhere and BN's framing ES should be found immediately.

I am going to promise myself, if ES becomes the obsequious, passive, lamebrain lead as in unusual family, and other daily shows, I shall be stopping early and not wait for 90 episodes to stop.

Not that I'm craving watching a daily or anything, but I couldn't help notice that a number of TUF folks were here, and had to take a peep at the drama. I don't think I'll be watching this drama actually, however, couldn't restrain myself from a couple of comments.

6 hours ago, sk0317 said:

The Korean words for money and poop, rain and blood, wind and adultery sound similar to a non-native of the Korean language. So it is important to get the pronunciation correct to avoid misunderstanding:sweatingbullets:.

Totally agree with you on this. However, thought you might find it funny that wrt adultery: an actual word for adultery (pronounced bul-yun) does sound similar to a word for wind (pronounced ba-ram), however, the word "wind" itself is also used to indicate adultery. So when someone is said to "do wind" or "make wind", that usually means that he/she is having an adulterous affair. I think this is because someone who is having an affair are indiscriminate about who they are with, perhaps, like the wind is? 

5 hours ago, maribella said:

After the peanuts-rage Korean Air heiress was found guilty by the Korean court, I think for BN's grandma's to get away scott free would be difficult in real life. Afterall her family is not in thebillionaire category.

Then again, Heather Cho, the heiress of Korean Airlines was found innocent on appeal just a few months later, and got off relatively scot free. She resigned one of her executive positions in KAL Holdings, but apparently kept at least 3 or 4 other executive positions, including a chairmanship of a subsidiary, even though she had initially announced that she was going to give up all of her positions. The two people who were abused by her in the incident brought a civil suit against her which was dismissed by the courts. So, basically, she and her family waited for the media to die down a bit, then bought themselves verdicts again. It's events like these that make me highly suspicious about actual Korean business dealings still, and the extent of their reach into the government, the public sector, and the legal system, not to mention wondering whether chaebols are actually even more mercenary and hard to take than they're depicted in kdramas. So, all those chaebol wives who feel its okay to haul off and hit the heroines, since they will then be protected by their family lawyers, I guess really may be true to life. Also, the good-hearted, good-looking chaebol who is righteous and falls in love with sweet, innocent Candy chick really is just a figment of people's imaginations. 

Definitely does not make me want to fly KAL ever. 

So, anyway, wrt this drama, BN's grandmother will probably get some justice since dramas do tend to like seeing rich, evil people get some sort of comeuppance, even if it may not be enough for the international audience who are unused to such conduct in civilized discourse. 

5 hours ago, maribella said:

Korea is a high tech country, surely there are CCTVs everywhere and BN's framing ES should be found immediately.

And, have you noticed how Korea is high-tech with cameras everywhere and someone filming all the time except when footage is actually needed? And, even if there is a recording made, apparently, there is only one true copy kept on one usb key... Oops, sorry. It think I was flashing back to TUF again. 

Anyway, it seems as if a number of TUF folks came here, including @jimb's recaps. Hope you don't mind if I lurk here from time to time. Your conversations are still more interesting than any of the daily dramas. :) 

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Then again, Heather Cho, the heiress of Korean Airlines was found innocent on appeal just a few months later, and got off relatively scot free. She resigned one of her executive positions in KAL Holdings, but apparently kept at least 3 or 4 other executive positions, including a chairmanship of a subsidiary, even though she had initially announced that she was going to give up all of her positions. The two people who were abused by her in the incident brought a civil suit against her which was dismissed by the courts. So, basically, she and her

She actually appealed after all that song and dance of public penitance? I did not read anything about her case after she was charged and found guilty.  No wonder a Korean engineer I know said that  a lot of unacceptable behaviour by families of prominent Korean companies have been whitewashed by the courts and at times media. Well, I hope the writers will give us our revenge and make her pay for physically abusing a teacher.

1 hour ago, tulip06 said:

Was there an episode today?

http://www.kbs.co.kr/drama/eunsu/index.html

Apparently not:sweatingbullets:. I am not sure why episode 10 has been shelved. But from the above link it will be shown on December 12. I wonder if a special program featuring the President's impeachment had replaced the usual slot for "The Shining Eun Soo"?

@sk0317

So you heard about the impeachment too?   Yeah I read an article about cancelling SBS Love Bubbles because  SBS News was extended  from 8:30PM to 10PM after the parliament voted and passed to impeach the President (299 lawmakers, 234 yes/56 no/2 abstention/7 invalid votes) 

I didn’t see other articles for other stations but after checking some of the dailies I saw KBS First Loves Again for today’s episode but not The Shining Eun Soo.  It could mean First Loves Again was aired before the impeachment proceeding.  MBC doesn’t have today’s daily either.

21 minutes ago, booha said:

@sk0317

So you heard about the impeachment too?   Yeah I read an article about cancelling SBS Love Bubbles because  SBS News was extended  from 8:30PM to 10PM after the parliament voted and passed to impeach the President (299 lawmakers, 234 yes/56 no/2 abstention/7 invalid votes) 

I didn’t see other articles for other stations but after checking some of the dailies I saw KBS First Loves Again for today’s episode but not The Shining Eun Soo.  It could mean First Loves Again was aired before the impeachment proceeding.  MBC doesn’t have today’s daily either.

It was yesterday's top news and just to go a little OT, please check out the links below:

http://news.asiaone.com/news/asia/puppies-lip-balm-and-drama-s-korea-scandal-hearing

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2016/12/116_219843.html

I think you are right to say that KBS2's "First Love Again" was probably aired before the extended news program since its airtime is from 19:50-20:30 KST.  MBC's "Golden Pouch" was mostly likely also postponed due to its airtime which is from 20:55-21:30 KST.

Many thanks for sharing the updates:). Have a wonderful weekend @booha!

1 hour ago, jimb said:

@sk0317  Notes that Eun Soo's brother was not he man who pitched the business plan to Club Jerk.

Thanks.  I have edited the synopsis to correct my error.

In episode 9, after the time jump of 7 years, ES's GM answered a call and told the caller the "room on the rooftop" is still available. I wonder who is going to move into that room...

@maribella  I'm not too worried about Eun Soo becoming a weak sister.

Club Jerk, her future husband, is a university graduate and still getting into fistfights at age (ca.) 25, and he wasn't even drunk?

Not much danger that she will live in HIS  shadow.  More likely to be a mother-son type relationship.   Hard to see why a woman of any substance would be interested in Club Jerk unless she wanted a man she could dominate.

From what little we know of Club Jerk's older brother, he seems to be a more substantive person -- at least substantive enough that his father readily cancelled a $5 million deal on his advice.

I wonder what the writers have in mind.  Eun Soo would appear to better matched with the older brother.  Club Jerk and Rich Brat seem made for each other . . .

@jimb

After the time jump, Eun Soo, 31 and  Soo Ho, 28 so the age difference is 3… //in real,  Lee Young Eun(Eun Soo), 34 and Kim Dong Joon(Soo Ho) , 24, the difference, 10….  Lol

I think  the old brother Soo Hyun is more substantive in just business and family.  He might be very dull. You might want to see him with Rich Brat so that they will live the rest of their lives in boring doldrums??  

@sk0317

I watched ep9.  Thank goodness the school antics are over.  Now I’m ready for the adult antics.  hehe   I agree with you about  Eun Soo  grandma.  She is uncomplicated and has a warm heart.   It was a nice scene  to watch how GM helped Eun Soo cry and let out her bottled up emotions so that Eun Soo would go back herself before the time jump.     At the end of the episode, there was a brief reencounter between Eun Soo and her future husband, Soo Ho.   Didn’t  he get hit by cupid’s arrow  just then!!   I like Eun Soo’s short hair.  I think her new look makes a good match with Soo Ho.  They might create a good chemistry as OTP.   Soo Ho a bit like DT??

Thank you for the articles.  So the spoiled cute puppy started all upheavals.  Then this about lip balm/a navy coat…. waahhaa .. so amazing   Ever since I started to watch kdrama or better saying daily, I began to see makjang kdrama  in the real world.   This article is like reading a makjang k-daily script.   This country had a similar incident(makjang k-daily kind of suff) with Nixon.   His case is worse than Park because the main culprit was him whereas Park’s embarrassing problems are from her associate Choi.     This makjang stuff happened in the election here, though I couldn’t go into all the details but it was truly a pure makjang event and then people elected a makjang king.   

@booha    This impending household is rife with possibilities, comedic and otherwise.

I assume that the two couples end up living together because Club Jerk and his older brother continue to live with their parents after their marriages.

Club Jerk's parents are both pieces of work.  The father is at best gruff and irritable.  The wife is ditzy and something of a snob

Club Jerk's mother's personality and prejudices set the stage for two K-Drama staples:  (1)  Mother opposes son's marriage to non-wealthy woman and (2) the unpleasant mother in law.

For the three women (Club Jerk's mother, Eun Soo, and Rich Brat), we can look forward to trilateral conflict among the mother in law and her two daughters in law.in addition to the anticipated fireworks between Eun Soo and Rich Brat.

I also wonder if Eun Soo and the older brother will get tired of parenting their respective immature spouses and turn to each other?

Archived