[Drama 2016-2017] First Love Again 다시, 첫사랑 Thanks for Watch.

0ly40

21 minutes ago, euraka said:

he is going to torture her once he find her 

That is given. Actually in some ways DY deserves what he is getting. He should have known better that HJ is not that kind of woman whom MH painted her to be. Conclusion is he didn't know HJ that well and chose to believe all the rubbish she said to him.  

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rikimaiu said:

That is given. Actually in some ways DY deserves what he is getting. He should have known better that HJ is not that kind of woman whom MH painted her to be. Conclusion is he didn't know HJ that well and chose to believe all the rubbish she said to him.  

you are right he shouldn't believe her though sometimes it is easier to believe the bad stuff than the good one. I am sure he is going to regret every bit of his bad treatment of her when he finds out the truth. by the way does he know that his daughter is not his 

5 hours ago, euraka said:

you are right he shouldn't believe her though sometimes it is easier to believe the bad stuff than the good one. I am sure he is going to regret every bit of his bad treatment of her when he finds out the truth. by the way does he know that his daughter is not his 

Yes, DY knows that his daughter is not his. MH told him at the hospital that she needed a legal father for her baby and she needs DY to marry her. In return she will help DY to grow and gain power in the company. 

Hi @0ly40, thanks for starting the thread. So, I think I'm caught up on the first five episodes. And, I'm thinking that this one might be a hair-pulling cryfest possibly. I'm also cautious where the story is going to go. Even though, DY knows that the daughter living with him isn't his and that MH is cold and calculating, it seems as if their daughter is a sweet girl and he might have a good parent-child bond actually. And, for what it's worth, MH seems to love him in his own fashion. So, though this is just the start, I'm wondering if in the end, DY will come to understand why HJ did what she did and forgiveness all around, but choose to stay with MH and her daughter. Which would be a somewhat realistic option, but would seem sad to me given how much DY and HJ were in love before. Also, after the 8 year time jump, I didn't see any sign of HJ and DY's child or the husband that HJ supposedly married. The husband was probably a name faked on the marriage certificate that MH showed to DY as proof that HJ had been cheating on his, but I'm wondering where the child is after the time jump. 

I thought I could maybe watch one daily, and was contemplating either this one thanks to you or to Always Spring. Not sure which one to go, though I think I may have severe second lead syndrome in Always Spring which is never a good thing since my heart will break even if there is a happy ending. Anyway, given how melodramatic and hair pulling these dailies can be, I don't think I have enough hair left to watch anything more than one daily at a time. :)

@stroppyse

Hi Nice to see you here. So you are shopping around!!  I think you should really give a chance for this one.  I know  it’s only the first week for this daily and it might veer off onto a cliff many times but the acting of this cast is really good and I like the script.  You are right about MH’s little girl. She seems very sweet.  But her real dad is MH’s old boyfriend, Choi Jung Hoo(Park Jung Chul).  According to the character description MH dumped him because he became her family’s enemy(?)   So he is supposed to come back for revenge or something like that. Here is the link to the character description, if you are interested (http://movie.daum.net/tv/crew?tvProgramId=78189 ) 

About the male lead, Kim Seung Su, I didn’t know him before and I wouldn’t think he was my type as the lead.  But after seeing how he interpreted the Cha Do Yoon character and showed DY with such intensity of pain/longing/hatred, I was very impressed.   Also there is a strange but working chemistry between DY and MH which shows how well they are portrayed by the actor & the actress. I enjoyed seeing so many emotional nuances in the characters.   Even if the writer goes wacky later with the plot line, as long as the cast can portray interesting characters, I might hang on with this daily.  Well in the daily land, things might go so wacky that even the good cast can’t save the drama…. but it seems PD and the writer have some name recognition so… :) 

Hi @booha, good to see you here as well. We could get some interesting conversations going here. :)

I'm not familiar with either of the leads, but it usually depends on the drama having some coherent and cohesive writing for me to stick with it, especially a daily drama which has so many episodes to fill and seem not to have enough story mostly. As long as the leads don't go into brain dead territory, making deliberately irrational and pointless decisions all the time, I'm not rushing to drop it. I do like that, while makjang, the leverage used to tear HJ away from DY was significant enough to make it credible within the story. It wasn't just some random secret or protecting someone who is just an immature adult from the consequences of his/her actions. So, so far, so good. 

I'm still wondering about HJ's baby. There was a character description of HJ which talks about her losing her man, her integrity, and her baby, but still trying to make a life for her family, by which they mean HJ's mother and sister, I assume. I assume the baby is fine, still, but had to be adopted out or something. Anyway, so far, it's all a mystery. 

Name recognition in daily dramas may or may not be a good thing. One could look at their past works as indicators of how far off the rail they may go with the current drama, or it could be license for them to go off the rails with this drama with less editorial control by the network. :)

On 4/12/2016 at 7:04 AM, stroppyse said:

Hi @0ly40, thanks for starting the thread. So, I think I'm caught up on the first five episodes. And, I'm thinking that this one might be a hair-pulling cryfest possibly. I'm also cautious where the story is going to go. Even though, DY knows that the daughter living with him isn't his and that MH is cold and calculating, it seems as if their daughter is a sweet girl and he might have a good parent-child bond actually. And, for what it's worth, MH seems to love him in his own fashion. So, though this is just the start, I'm wondering if in the end, DY will come to understand why HJ did what she did and forgiveness all around, but choose to stay with MH and her daughter. Which would be a somewhat realistic option, but would seem sad to me given how much DY and HJ were in love before. Also, after the 8 year time jump, I didn't see any sign of HJ and DY's child or the husband that HJ supposedly married. The husband was probably a name faked on the marriage certificate that MH showed to DY as proof that HJ had been cheating on his, but I'm wondering where the child is after the time jump. 

I thought I could maybe watch one daily, and was contemplating either this one thanks to you or to Always Spring. Not sure which one to go, though I think I may have severe second lead syndrome in Always Spring which is never a good thing since my heart will break even if there is a happy ending. Anyway, given how melodramatic and hair pulling these dailies can be, I don't think I have enough hair left to watch anything more than one daily at a time. :)

Hello @stroppyse I'm glad you are here. I'm hooked with this drama, and with other dailies: golden pouch, love is drop by drop and the shining Eun Soo, jeje I'm addict :) It's a shame I don't have enough time for watch them every day. I have a pile of episodes pendent. Not mentioning the big bag about the others that only have two episodes every week. I like so much your comments and is a pleasure you are here:grin:.

It feels as if this drama is still setting everything up after the time jump, so not sure I have too much to say yet. Right now, the one thing I'm curious about is where DY and HJ's child is. Otherwise, we seem to be waiting for DY and HJ to meet again, and their interactions to start. 

I think it's interesting that not only are all the main characters flawed, they're not going with the usual trope of having the separated lovers remain "pure", e.g. sexless. If I understand this correctly, while DY and MH have a contract marriage, they both have lovers on the side. In episode 6 and in the preview for ep 7, it's explicit with MH and her lover in the hotel suite where MH and DY renewed their contract marriage for another 2 year term. With DY, it's a little less clear whether the woman at Black Pearl is actually his lover or just a companion. Since DY is the main lead, I guess, they have to be a little bit more careful with him spreading his kisses and body around. :) Also, I guess the implication is that HJ has been too busy trying to make a living as well as to pay for her mother's hospital fees and her sister's school fees to have had any time for any time for play at all in any way, so I'm going to assume that the only man that she's had kisses and carnal relations is still DY.

So, after episode 6, I think the DY and HJ will be the end game after all, regardless of feeling sorry for poor little HR who clearly loves the man she knows as her father. 

Not sure I'm looking forward to DY harassing HJ once he does find her in order to pay her back for betraying him and aborting his child, as he believes she did. Still, he must care about her a lot still, and all the love that he had felt for her having turned to hate rather than indifference.

I actually feel kind of sorry for MH. She's evil, manipulative, and will do whatever it takes to get what she wants, but she is also clearly in thrall to her mother. So, not sure how much of her evil is of her own doing versus trying to be what her mother expects of her. The other little problem I have with this actress is that her character has similarities to the last role I saw her in as the other woman who breaks up a marriage in Five Children. There, she plays a relatively weak woman with a strong mother. In that drama, she wasn't necessarily evil, and she had enough spine to stand up to her mother about marrying a man who needed to get a divorce first, but there are enough similarities that I find it distracting. 

So, overall, I guess I'm still watching, though not committed to it as yet. I am still a tad nervous that the original scheme of tearing the OTP apart was so over the top, where it will go from there in terms of giving all the characters angst. :) Still, it's an easy watch so far. 

@stroppyse

Well I watch a daily with the assumption  that it has many loose hinges (as you mentioned ‘brain dead territory’ like amnesia and so on…)    I’m sure the Korean viewers know a daily drama has  the lowest budget  yet with long  episodes and  has a kind of makjang which make everyone fume.   hehe   Still I don’t feel a daily drama is like 100% soap opera showing in the US.   At least a daily has a beginning and end with themes and a plot line/design /structure.   Still I said before that I wouldn’t watch any daily good or bad without soompi.   To me soompi is like a flavoring factory.  Look at TUF, I knew it was light, fluffy, and wacky. Its crazy plot lines (and DY&DT) got me interested.  When I began to lose interest in it, the comments by other members  sugarcoated it causing me to stay around till the end. Yup memorable shared torture:sweatingbullets::lol:

In today’s ep, there was one scene which showed an intense psychological play game by DY and MH.  It was like they were dancing tango.  The drama showed  good editing by PD so far.  Like when MH gave a kiss on DY’s cheek,  the camera moved around to show how each family member reacted to it. 

DY doesn’t  have a lover. That’s a definite no no in kdama land.   hehe    He has been busy building his career to revenge HJ’s assumed betrayal.  Now he is getting close to his goal so he is looking for HJ.  With DY and MH, they just have a paper marriage contract without actually sleeping together. That is why they haven’t had a child which MH’s adopted mom pointed out.  I wonder if MH sleeps with another man, could it be that she is trying to get pregnant??    It looks like possibly the writer is teasing us with HJ’s kid. In my opinion HJ acts too cheerful to have lost her baby.  I enjoyed seeing how a family dynamic played out before the ceremony for DY. 

Hmm, with episode 7, I'm already starting to question whether I'm going to stay with this daily drama after all. 

HJ is shown to be a typical kdrama rug kind of woman, where she just wants to give and give and give, and wants nothing back for herself, even if it's at the expense of paying rent and the families' living expenses, which is really at odds with the fact that she's doing everything so that she can pay for the families' living expenses. She seems to be written with a strong streak of noble idiocy and rainbows and sunshine coming out of orifices where it's better that they hadn't. The series has barely started, but I already find her brand of endless sunshine a little annoying.

The other character I find annoying, frankly, is DY's mother. She's so in thrall to her (ex)husband, the Chairman, that she's just waiting to kiss any part of his dirty feet that she can get to, and even bow her head to the Chairman's second wife who took her place, and seems to be willing to barter her son for the Chairman's favors. I guess you could say that she wants it all for DY, but yet again, she's another kdrama mother who is so greedy for money and position, that whatever she has to do to hold on to any bit of it is considered a small price. The only point of pride is her connection to that money and power, she has no sense of pride in herself, her accomplishments, or even really her son since her son is a vehicle for the father as far as she seems to be concerned.

She is worried that after 8 years of marriage, DY and MH aren't closer. At first, I thought that this was motherly concern over her son's happiness or lack thereof. Nope, she's concerned about not getting an heir to be the company's successor after DY. *sigh* She's another kdrama mother who doesn't understand her own child. DY made a speech about rooting out corruption and bribery, and promoting people based on merit and service. DY's mother is lobbying for DY to give his half brother a cushy job at the company since that's what the Chairman wants.  DY's wife, MH, decides to support her MIL in this request since she's trying to keep DY as weak as possible so that her own mother could always have the upper hand.

The one bit I thought was funny was that the Chairman's wife had actually plotted for DY's mother to come over and make a scene and get caught out by the Chairman. The net affect of which is that the Chairman tells DY's mother to tell DY to find a cushy job for his half-brother. And, with success, the second wife is so sneeringly dismissive of DY's mother for falling for it every time despite decades of her manipulating her. Funny in an evil kind of way.

So, when the bad people are this bad, one has to have a heroine that one can root for. I'm not sure if I can root for MH. I think this could be an endless run of MH being mistreated by various people until the last ten episodes of the drama at which point, there will have been enough reveals that DY finally learns the truth. And, then he has to decide between the child that he's raised for 8 years and his birth child in some manner, along with their birth mothers. 

This post is a bit on the long side, but not sure that too many people will be reading this anyway since the thread is so quiet. :) Someone suggested I try Tomorrow Victory or Save the Family, so may have to try those instead. Plus, both of those have been completed, so I could marathon the episodes or skip some of them if I need to. :D

I'm curious to know what causes HJ to lose her memory. It seems she doesn't know MH. Did she have an accident that she has amnesia and lost her baby? Or she has amnesia due to some accident and gave birth to her baby but her mother put the baby up for adoption without her knowledge.

DY will be super upset when he found out she doesn't know who he is and might think that she was playing tricks on him.

1 hour ago, didisalma said:

so HJ has lost her memory? that's what i thought when i saw her reaction to meet with MH, as if it's the first time they meet?!! 

Yes. Apparently, she lost her memory. I wish the detective tells DY that HJ is dead. That way when he accidentally sees her, he will start to investigate.  He wouldn't be harsh to her if he thinks it is a different girl since HJ has no memory of DY. 

20 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

I'm curious to know what causes HJ to lose her memory. It seems she doesn't know MH. Did she have an accident that she has amnesia and lost her baby? Or she has amnesia due to some accident and gave birth to her baby but her mother put the baby up for adoption without her knowledge.

DY will be super upset when he found out she doesn't know who he is and might think that she was playing tricks on him.

Maybe DY's revenge will be stop for a while when he realizes HJ has lost her memory. There are many question now HJ seems to be amnesic. What about the child? Did she suffer an accident or maybe she was in coma and due this she doesn't remember anything yet. (I suspect the kidney donation from her mother in-law it was just an act in complicity with DY's wife).  I like the intrigue.

Archived