[Drama 2017] While You Were Sleeping, 당신이 잠든 사이에

ilwoo_aein

@rittoo @stargazer187 @USAFarmgirl @aegyoppa @lynne22 @happyboy

Actually, I was also wondering, if the doctor (who was called in as witness and presumably the attending physician for this case) could tell that the victim's bruises on the neck were likely caused by strangulation, wouldn't it have (in non-drama world) been reported to the police (assuming police who arrived on scene did not have the opportunity to check and the victim was simply sent straight off to the ER)? I'm just wondering what I missed here (for logical sequencing), but the only reason why the writer was arrested was because Wootak nabbed him for supposed attempted assault on the little boy, and out of that came a confession by a witness. Would that legally have been enough to place the writer in police custody and then remand? 

• Like 7

I have watched all the eps and i'm up to date now @stargazer187!!! I agree that 23 and 24 were a bit nail biting awesome. Haha. Woo Tak's secret is kinda random and i wonder how they are planning to tie that up with the main storyline. Maybe they would link it up with the green umbrella. Lets seeee. And i also think this is not the only secret he has and that there is more to him.. i atleast wish that there is more because this secret is tooo bland for my taste. Bwahahahahaha. 

Other than that i super loved HJ's quick wit in the courtroom. She is exactly the type of female lead i love and idolize. Lol. Femme fatale type indeed. Hehehe. 

I agree that 7 years is too little for murder. He freaking killed a person and he is out and free after 7 years?!?!? Hmmm i dont have any knowledge on law matters but that seemed like a very lenient sentence to me. 

• Like 7

Hello Chingus! I welcome myself here in this beautiful thread! I just recently became active again in soompi, and I didn’t regret watching this series for straight two days! Man I love each  episode! Now I can catch up with everyone. I just need to familiarize with their names first. Hehehe! I’m a huge fan of Suzy! my last active forum for her was Gu famy Book! And Lee Jong-suk never disappoint me! He is one of the best leading Korean actor! Hello!

The chemistry between JC and HJ is amazing! I love Hong-Joo’s character sassy girl with guts! I know that Jae-chan’s character is improving in each episode. Plus I love the mysterious Woo-tak! The perfect 2nd lead guy! Please madam writer give him that someone that will truly love him, he has been a good friend all this time, plus  of course those yummy abs is to die for! Hehehe! Well I’m looking for forward to the next episode I wonder what will Seung-won’s classmate be part on the next episodes case and I think bad attorney Lee is involve with their case. 

Fighting! 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, s00ki said:

WT is Colour blind? That's his big secret?! Wow, and HJ was so sharp that she planted a green charger , then told WT it's red.

ahahah.... I was rather surprised too...after all the build up. But I'll give this writer the benefit of the doubt that there will be a bit more substance to it. :lol: Fingers crossed.

@gilaswan I particularly love what you brought up here:

8 hours ago, gilaswan said:

As regards ethics, if you subscribed to utilitarian world views, you would indeed say - 7 lives for one? Let's do it. Because the interests of many outweigh the interests of one. 

i questioned myself as well and 7 to 1, this decision should not be hard. But yet it was not right as it made a mockery of the law and justice. Plus I figured who are we to say that the one life is worth less than the 7 who would have died. After all it is tough  to quantify the value of someone's life. The parent of the testifying kid would most definitely think his child's life ( and safety) is more important than anyone else's.  So what I really appreciated the drama doing was to ulitmately let Prosecutor Kim , the very person who has the most vested interest in the outcome of JC's decision, to make the final call. Her words touched me because she was not doing this as a prosecutor but because she put herself in the shoes of the father of the young man, and she would have wanted justice for her son as well. 

But i agree there are some minor inconsistencies to which certain things are handled,  the strangulation mark should have been checked..the guy fell down a functioning elevator shaft , it is no ordinary accident ; so that would raise suspicion. Also @cadymcbronzie you have a good point about not checking the blood level for alcohol content-  the only "logical " reasoning  i could come up with was they had to perform surgery on him after the fall , so by that time it's pointless to check his blood.

Yes @stargazer187 ...great timing. I just completed this week's eps and really enjoyed the case. I love the unspoken running theme of this week's episodes as well which is about the love of a parent and tough choices she / he has to make. Being a mum myself , I fully identified with all the 3 parents here:

1. Hong Joo's mum- I did not forsee resistance from her with regards to OTP's relationship. But I totally got why she did it - she wanted to protect her little girl's heart ( yes our kids , no matter how grown up they are will always be our babies) . One of the thing i loved the most about this drama is HJ's relationship with her mum. I liked how HJ's mum isn't your typical k-drama mum who had her own set of emotional baggages and was always yelling. They always talk things through.

2. Prosecutor Kim - she was indeed the MVP of these episodes for me. Her agreeing that an autopsy has to be done must have been one of the most difficult decisions any parent has to make because she was practically sacrificing her son's one and possibly only chance to have a new lease of life. But for the very reason she was a parent herself, she knew it would be great injustice to the young man's father.

4SHvvCJ.png

3. the father of the young man - I must have cried alongside with him. How hard it must have been to finally let go and proceed with organ donation. Sure it is the rational and right thing to do since his son will die anyway, but if I were in his shoes I would want to hold on and not let go. 

yCM3D9L.png

I think OTP's romance is progressing nicely and naturally. ( LSK and YSK's cameo was so random but great fun) But what I appreciated here is how Hong Joo is constantly an inspiration to JC. Her shouting out her idea at the courtroom was awesome. It really was a turning point for JC to win the case.

Anyway looking forward to what's in store next week.  They will finally reveal all the shenanigans that S-Lee-zy prosecutor has been up to.

zUpcy6X.pngOWQx5Il.png

10 hours ago, gilaswan said:

As regards ethics, if you subscribed to utilitarian world views, you would indeed say - 7 lives for one? Let's do it. Because the interests of many outweigh the interests of one.

I absolutely understand where that comes from, but where I live children are taught that this line of thought is dangerous. Because one persons's life and rights cannot be worth less than many ppl's lives and rights, if today you give up on prosecuting a murderer because it would benefit more ppl than when you do, then tomorrow you might give up on therapy earlier than reasonable because of the same reason, and suddenly everyone will, maybe having profited from such a way of acting first, be in danger of being that one who is sacrificed for the "greater good", and minorities might stop mattering all together with time passing. At least I believe that's what ethical standards in the society where I live says.

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Actually, I was also wondering, if the doctor (who was called in as witness and presumably the attending physician for this case) could tell that the victim's bruises on the neck were likely caused by strangulation, wouldn't it have (in non-drama world) been reported to the police (assuming police who arrived on scene did not have the opportunity to check and the victim was simply sent straight off to the ER)?

Absolutely. That's the way (in my country) things must have been done. To be honest if a young and healthy man is found to be heavily injured by falling through heavy and supposedly barred doors, I will expect the police to be on the case BEFORE he's declared to have fallen in a drunken state.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, happyboy said:

Lol well necrosis is simply an example of the effect that trauma has on accurate measurements.  While it is possible to get accurate readings, blood loss, other trauma as well as hospital procedures can affect readings.  understand that you are looking for simplistic “yes or no bah this is a plot hole” but medicine is not black and white.  It depends when he was found, how much trauma he endured etc.  for example if there is extensive bleeding in the case before the majority of the alcohol is absorbed into the body... eg fluid still in his stomach then the BA will be higher.  

in the case of the show if his body is found 12 hours later (ie the next day) then obviously his BA will not accurately reflect his blood alcohol at the time of the incident even with no trauma.  if you remember the case of the nurse in Utah being strong armed it was because the police did not want to risk the few hours they thought it would take to get a warrant for the draw

In the drama if the hospital has no reason to examine for BA in a seeming accident there would be no measurement at all.  how do you know how long he was in surgery for the police to even draw blood or when they would have started an investigation?  Was it 4 hours 8 hours or 2 days?  You do understand the police aren’t there at every hospital logging and intercepting everyone the EMTs bring in?

the point here is tha5 there are enough variables that these supposed “plot holes” aren’t impetitive to the narrative.  The writer doesn’t cover everyth8ng anyone can object to but they aren’t necessarily mistakes either.  It’s something you can ignore simply enough to get to the actual point she is making.

also the point of the story is that the student would have died...  the doctors project it out to a few days, it’s explicitly stated that he would not have recovered so the entire ethical hangup you’re framing for yourself is specifically precluded on the show.

i do agree with you that it is a moral dilemma when doctors are over eager to harvest organs.  And a very real one here in the US as there have been many scandals.  Again here though you have to understand that while we all agree that MDs should act ethically part of the deal of organ donorship is that you understand and accept that some bureaucrat will be playing god & even possibly politics with your parts.

Somehow I feel like your thoughts are garbled, maybe you think faster than you type, so to speak, making it hard for me to understand what you want to say. 

"necrosis is simply an example of the effect that trauma has on accurate measurements"??

What? are you trying to say with this sentence?

"understand that you are looking for simplistic “yes or no bah this is a plot hole”"

I do not understand how you came to this conclusion.

"but medicine is not black and white"

I have no idea either how this second part of the sentence is related to the first.

“in the case of the show if his body is found 12 hours later (ie the next day) then obviously his BA will not accurately reflect his blood alcohol at the time of the incident even with no trauma."

did it say that he was found only 12 hours after the incident? I don't remember... But you know that the BA can be calculated back towards the time around when he fell?

I have no idea what happened in Utah.

"In the drama if the hospital has no reason to examine for BA in a seeming accident there would be no measurement at all."

Makes it the more ridiculous to presume that he fell down drunk, if the BA hadn't even been tested and the situation was unclear.

"how do you know how long he was in surgery for the police to even draw blood or when they would have started an investigation?"

Are you trying to say that hospital staff will not draw blood immediately after the arrival of a critical patient and that blood tests will happen only after surgery? I hope I misunderstood. Trying to understand what happened to the patient is often crucial to the treatment and the job of the doctors, not the police. If the medical staff discovers signs that a critical injury has been inflicted upon the patient and it might not have been an accident (e. g. strangulation marks), they should alarm the police immediately. Police investigation cannot postpone potentially life-saving treatments and the police are not the ones with the obligation to examine the body of a trauma patient first, obviously. That does not mean that nobody examines the body. Or else why would anybody go to the hospital if the doctors won't look at you?

"The writer doesn’t cover everyth8ng anyone can object to but they aren’t necessarily mistakes either.  It’s something you can ignore simply enough to get to the actual point she is making."

Tbh if you are working in that line you really can't. To overlook something like strangulation marks on a critical patient, to presume he was drunk and fell by himself when he wasn't drunk at all, to not have informed the police because they have not examined the patient as is their (I almost wanted to say holy) obligation - if these aren't plot holes because the writer lacks in this department then all doctors and nurses who have had contact with that patient should be prosecuted or at least forbidden from working their jobs.

"also the point of the story is that the student would have died...  the doctors project it out to a few days, it’s explicitly stated that he would not have recovered so the entire ethical hangup you’re framing for yourself is specifically precluded on the show."

I think you missed my point completely. What upsets me is that just because somebody is dying, it still matters whether they were dying because of a murder attempt. And that even a dying person is more than just organs to be donated, and that an individual's rights do matter. Not 7, not 70 persons' life will ever justify not giving the dying patient what is rightly his, namely in this case, for his death to be investigated, and for his murderer to be prosecuted.

"Again here though you have to understand that while we all agree that MDs should act ethically part of the deal of organ donorship is that you understand and accept that some bureaucrat will be playing god & even possibly politics with your parts."

How did this story have anything to do with "some bureaucrat playing god"? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, triplem said:

i questioned myself as well and 7 to 1, this decision should not be hard. But yet it was not right as it made a mockery of the law and justice. Plus I figured who are we to say that the one life is worth less than the 7 who would have died. After all it is tough  to quantify the value of someone's life. The parent of the testifying kid would most definitely think his child's life ( and safety) is more important than anyone else's.  So what I really appreciated the drama doing was to ulitmately let Prosecutor Kim , the very person who has the most vested interest in the outcome of JC's decision, to make the final call. Her words touched me because she was not doing this as a prosecutor but because she put herself in the shoes of the father of the young man, and she would have wanted justice for her son as well. 

I personally feel like things are getting mixed up a bit?

1. no one has the obligation to put himself in danger for the benefit of others.

2. no one has the right to infringe on other persons' rights for his own benefit.

Of course everyone is allowed to be egoistic, by extension, care for their family and friends more than for any stranger. Still I belive that the above rules should be part of the ethical foundation of every society.

3. doctors are obliged to check their patients, inside and out. A trauma patient needs to be examined, put throgh trauma-scan, and blood samples are an obligate part of the examination, period.

• Like 1

@triplem @vangsweetie637 @icyphoenix I have the impression that the green umbrella could be connected to the past and not just to NHJ's future death. Maybe HWT's blindness could have played a role back then too. In my opinion, LYB's umbrella could be related to a former case. Moreover, it is clear that LYB is responsible for the death of the student's father. The later was condemned as a serial murder. I guess, JJC and NHJ will investigate it. Imagine the deception of the investigator, when he realizes that he has helped LYB to convict an innocent man. Nevertheless, I have the impression that HWT has another secret. The colour blindness as a secret is not big enough. I hope, that HWT is also linked to NHJ and JJC's past as well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@triplem @vangsweetie637 @icyphoenix I have the impression that the green umbrella could be connected to the past and not just to NHJ's future death. Maybe HWT's blindness could have played a role back then too. In my opinion, LYB's umbrella could be related to a former case. Moreover, it is clear that LYB is responsible for the death of the student's father. The later was condemned as a serial murder. I guess, JJC and NHJ will investigate it. Imagine the deception of the investigator, when he realizes that he has helped LYB to convict an innocent man. Nevertheless, I have the impression that HWT has another secret. The colour blindness as a secret is not big enough. I hope, that HWT is also linked to NHJ and JJC's past as well.

i think it’s possible that the the colour blindness of Woo Tak could have led him to give a wrong testimony or evidence in the trial of the student’s Father. 

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I too think he has some part with JC n HJ.. There might be some incident in the past too which might lead him to be colour blind.. YB is the cause of everything OK no.. He was the prosecutor who had manipulated things against the students father I guess.. As the student once told that there r some prosecutors who wud manipulate to get their way.. YB was a prosecutor first then a lawyer.. So it might be the case when he was a prosecutor..that time WT might be witness to the crime or something.. But due to his color blindness he might have not testified to hide his truth or false testament or something else.. But it is definitely linked to WT.. I guess same might happen for HJ's supposed murder.. There might be some incident due to which WT may have failed to identify some clues which might lead to HJ's injury who will surely be saved by JC

• Like 3

Suzy wore IT MICHAA Stripe Cotton Blend Open Collar Blouse_Pink

Suzy wore Q.O.L For HAGO Jane Long_Beige/Navy

Suzy wore SOLANDROWA Sole Sandals_Beige

Spoiler

Suzy carried DÉCKE BY EUDON CHOI Rufer Tote_Navy

Suzy wore CARIN Edie C2 Pink Tint Sunglasses

Suzy wore ISABEL MARANT Blouse and JILL STUART NEW YORK Women's Red Strap Unbalance Long Skirt.

Suzy wore LUCKY CHOUETTE Square Printed Pajama Shirt and Pants

Suzy carried LOUIS VUITTON City Steamer MM_Kaki

• Like 8

Watch: Suzy And Lee Jong Suk Encounter More Danger In “While You Were Sleeping” Preview

Lee-Jong-Suk-Suzy2-1.jpg

A preview for next week’s episode of “While You Were Sleeping” has been released.

The video starts off with Jung Jae Chan (Lee Jong Suk) and Nam Hong Joo (Suzy) holding hands on the beach as they look out at the water.

Jae Chan can then be seen nervously cleaning up his office as Hong Joo announces she will be conducting background research at the prosecution offices.

While continuing his work, Jae Chan visits a jail cell where a man hands him a USB, telling him it’ll be worth looking at. The USB contains multiple pictures of hospital patients, which Dam Dong (Kim Won Hae) identifies as victims.

Finally, the preview ends with Jae Chan pulling Hong Joo into a protective embrace as a fire erupts in the room they are in.

“While You Were Sleeping” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 10:00 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/11/03/watch-suzy-lee-jong-suk-encounter-danger-sleeping-preview/

• Like 11

Lol initially I wasnt too fond of Jae Chan's cold and awkward nature. But he is too adorable in ep 12, love this turnaround:blush:

I love the courtroom scene Santa's flying friend and the car selca scene:D

Jong Suk's acting is on point not only his expressions and voice but his whole body acting he is so animated here waahh:heart: And that "mother" slip to Hong Joo's mom lol 

The other characters are all likeable and the actors are doing very good jobs. 

@nonski chingu thanks a lot for your roll calls^_^ 

• Like 10

On YB

I am looking forward to unravelling YB's character. This writer has never written unsympathetic villains - look at Min Joong Guk from I Hear Your Voice - he didn't start out a crazy killer in the first instance, only after he lost his wife and son and mother that he lost all sense. Song Cha Ok from Pinocchio also had a good rationale for not wanting to be a whistleblower on her own company, shooting her own ambition in the foot.

I am VERY, VERY CURIOUS about the personal habits which have been captured VERY, VERY CAREFULLY by the director. The slow shredding of paper by YB as he thinks and listens. The calculated removal of the watch. And of course recently, the obsessive Lady Macbeth hand-washing following certain court cases. "Out damned spot!"

What made YB the way he is? He was already heading down the wayward path when he was a kid, since he planned, aided and abetted the lie about JC's grades. We know he framed JC in the bike accident when they were teens. Then presumably he went to law school and started as a prosecutor, and finally found his way into private practice specialising in criminal law.

What of his family? We know he had a few dates with HJ. Did she save him? Is he having dreams about her too? 

Edited to include: While chilling, I really enjoyed seeing YB tell the writer murderer to STFU and beg for help because he was in no position to be demanding a cup of coffee in the wee hours of the morning, treating YB like a servant. Make him grovel YB!

Too many questions, insufficient data to parse. Come on writer-nim, make YB cool to watch!

Edited by purebristles
To add a point I forgot.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm just gonna post my opinions about the drama :) 

About the drama

i kinda liked how it was written because on every episode we see different stories about the cases. instead on focusing on the love story about the two characters. i felt there weren't many scene between hong ju and jae chan because it only has 16 episodes that's why others felt like their love story was a bit rushed. but recently since i've been watching a lot of american series i didn't dissatisfied? because on series they focus more on the story. and in wyws they focused on how their dreams helps them to solve cases like murder. and i love how every characters was written here even YB's character is charming for me. You could also learn a lot of things in this drama about our society, government, media, family, and also law.

Ps.. I'm srsly starting to fall in love with lee jong suk ( the main reason is his richard simmons :glasses:)<=== lol they changed it( instead of A$$) hahahha

About the characters

I kinda liked how lee jong suk character is not perfect. because mostly on every drama i've seen him he's always a genius, millionaire, and etc. i kinda liked how relatable he is in the drama. they focused more on his judgment as a prosecutor. and how people around him helps him to improve himself. i also like jae chan's and hong ju relationship they're like supporting each other on their own way. the brothers relationship and also hong ju and her moms relationship. 

About suzy's character i have no words. I've been a suzy fan ever since even though i liked her character in gu family book i didn't really like her acting there. i just find it cringey idk but still I love the story and everything. But in here i could really see her growth as an actress and i'm so proud of her. This is her best acting she improved on the crying scenes and on how she delivers her lines. and every she acts cute it looks natural. because every suzy fan knows how she doesn't like acting cute so to pull that off. 

About the chemistry

i've read the opinions on the lee jong suk thread about their chemistry i think one of the reason why others don't totally ship them is because on the of lack of BEHIND THE SCENES FOOTAGE. we're on episode 12 but all we have is 3 richard simmons behind the scenes video and there's nothing in it. and also i hate the fact that they're not properly promoting the god damn show. they deserve more than that. The difference between the bts videos of UF and WYWS is huge. one every episode of UF we get 2 different kinds of bts. ughhh 

Anyways i love those two together they're like friends behind the scenes. and i know how lee jong suk is with her costars that's why they always have dating scandals but the difference here is because suzy has a boyfriend and lee jong suk knows how to draw the line. But i know how suzy is comfortable with lee jong suk compared to kim woobin those two are just awkward with each other *insert laugh emoji. 

i've got a lot of things to say but i'm too lazy to type and i've said a lot already hahaha

anywaay thanks for reading

• Like 10