[Drama 2017] While You Were Sleeping, 당신이 잠든 사이에

ilwoo_aein

i live stream through facebook lastnight. glad that jaechan's case ended well, but i feel sad to see such a wonderful man passing. like i said before, i want to see the elevator guy more, i never thought that most of his screentime would just be lying on the bed, unconscious. hope to see him in other drama, i wish all the best for him.

and i worried about the green umbrella. 

my major question here is, seems like little penguin is the permanent passenger in wootak's car, until when he gonna bring little penguin everywhere? that's so cute. 

• Like 4

Though DG(SW's friend) picked up the YB's umbrella, it's still a big chance that he won't be the killer/suspect.

It's possible, he'll return it to YB or someone has the same green umbrella or it also could be that another person picked up the umbrella and might frame DG. (that someone is possibly the serial killer who got DG's dad blamed for his crimes)

I'm also worried about WT, he might be an eyewitness on the future trial or he might not differentiate the color details in his next dream or for solving the next case.

If YB  finds out about WT's color blindness, he would ruin WT's reputation as a police officer  (especially if he's going to be the eyewitness in the trial).

Speaking about WT's color blindness, since he can't see/determine the  green and red colors,

He might be having either tritanopia,  deuteranopia or achromatopsia

color-theory-64-638.jpg?cb=1420411376

d8697446-174f-4780-8185-ddc1a9405b92.jpg

• Like 6

While You Were Sleeping: Episodes 23-24

by girlfriday

whilesleeping2324-00621a.jpg

This episode was surprisingly moving, perhaps because the case of the week was more of a courtroom drama than an investigation drama, and the real fight began in today’s episode when it was time for the prosecutor and lawyer to face off, with nothing but their wits to guide them.

More

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/11/while-you-were-sleeping-episodes-23-24/

• Like 5

4 hours ago, yoyo_icecube said:

i live stream through facebook lastnight. glad that jaechan's case ended well, but i feel sad to see such a wonderful man passing. like i said before, i want to see the elevator guy more, i never thought that most of his screentime would just be lying on the bed, unconscious. hope to see him in other drama, i wish all the best for him.

Me too, it's waste for a such handsome guy like that. But sadly, his main career is model and his filmography only have one drama "Monstar" (2013) and one movie "Chasing" (2016). I hope we will see him in more drama in future.

:grin:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, rittoo said:

There was, they talked about it, but that was many days after the accident. Where were the doctors when the patient was admitted into the hospital? You know, sometimes they make the protagonists of a drama seem like the only ppl out there, but they are not, or shouldn't be, at least imo.

I know, but I kind of thought of SK as a modern democratic country where there's some kind of order in society, you know?

You are right, I have not, neither do I know any person who has O_O I definitely think the owner of that building needs to be sued though. I mean ppl get sued for partly obstructing the fire escape when there might never be a fire, but loose doors of an elevator shaft are always there and there's bound to be somebody falling against them or leaning against them or worse, like in this drama, trying to through ppl down through them.

As about the ethical issue, I agree that ethical standards differ across the world. To think that a person who's not even dead yet might be viewed as nothing more than his organs and that should be socially accepted is something that I can't really get my mind around though.

You know, the more I read and research S.Korea and its culture, the more my eyes pop (it's work related and I've had to do more reading about the Korean ethnic ideology and socio-cultural climate than I ever imagined I would have to). Corruption is quite rife there, which probably also explains the themes that have been emerging in the last many years in KDramas (from when I first started watching them). It's an interesting reflection of what is going on in the nation. Also, this writer seems to have a particular interest in issues of social justice as being in the hands of the common people. IHYV, Pinocchio and even WYWS all have common themes in this regard, and you realise her characters are always of common folk. She's not one of those who writes about the fantastical world of chaebol aristocracy, which is a major reason why I like her stories - her characters are all relatable. 

The notion of Korean order is very Confucian, and it's something that non-Confucian states and communities have difficulty fully comprehending. I cannot say that I do not come from a Confucian society - to be fair, my country's political ideology is fairly founded upon Confucian principles. But at the same time, there are many other mitigating factors that result in us being quite stuck between being neither fully Confucian nor fully Greek in our cultural philosophies. So this is where I will say, while I understand the S.Korean notion of hierarchy (and therefore order), I don't understand the extent to which this is practised almost blindly (cf. the scene where HJ makes a statement against social order when her sunbae asks the maknae of the office to go buy food, just because). But this is an ideology so deeply entrenched in S.Korea that people (such as this writer) are starting to ask - does it make sense? Should it be this way? "Because I am older/richer/better connected/of a higher social status, some of these rules just don't apply to me, and they shouldn't because in my being older/richer/better connected/of a higher social status, I have done things that have benefited our community. Your cutting me (more than) some slack is expected as a form of gratitude you show me." 

As regards ethics, if you subscribed to utilitarian world views, you would indeed say - 7 lives for one? Let's do it. Because the interests of many outweigh the interests of one. 

@stargazer187 @aegyoppa @USAFarmgirl @lynne22 @triplem Have I missed any other chingus I should be tagging? :D 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, gilaswan said:

The notion of Korean order is very Confucian, and it's something that non-Confucian states and communities have difficulty fully comprehending. I cannot say that I do not come from a Confucian society - to be fair, my country's political ideology is fairly founded upon Confucian principles. But at the same time, there are many other mitigating factors that result in us being quite stuck between being neither fully Confucian nor fully Greek in our cultural philosophies. So this is where I will say, while I understand the S.Korean notion of hierarchy (and therefore order), I don't understand the extent to which this is practised almost blindly (cf. the scene where HJ makes a statement against social order when her sunbae asks the maknae of the office to go buy food, just because). But this is an ideology so deeply entrenched in S.Korea that people (such as this writer) are starting to ask - does it make sense? Should it be this way? "Because I am older/richer/better connected/of a higher social status, some of these rules just don't apply to me, and they shouldn't because in my being older/richer/better connected/of a higher social status, I have done things that have benefited our community. Your cutting me (more than) some slack is expected as a form of gratitude you show me." 

Actually... Confucianism is just ideas about Ethics, Behaviour and Government - aka, how one should act in a group. There are mainly three parts to it, being the "Li", the "Yi" and the "Ren", which represent "Doing the right things at the right time to build an ideal society", "Righteousness" and "Humanity", the last of which can be further broken down into "seriousness", "generosity", "sincerity", "diligence" and "kindness". 

So while there are hierarchies, they are relationships that demand respect in both ways. Like the wife who is supposed to respect her husband and her husband who is supposed to give her the same privilege. The golden rule in Confucianism is "Do not do unto others what you won't do to yourself". A subordinate is supposed to respect the authority of the superior, but that does not mean being a yes-man because the subordinate, in his respect, is also supposed to advise his superior if it seems like he's taking a wrong course of action.

It's an ideology that encourages order ("Mandate of Heaven") and demands that people act with civility, humanity, with respect and in all ways, for the good of the society.

But you know, government asses and the bureaucrats like to hold on to power so they conveniently forgot about the respect going down and just demand respect to come up their way. And then that became bullying.

Partway through Joseon, their take on Neo-Confucianism became so rigid and further bound by more self-created rules that they lost the ability to change and keep up as society does unlike the Mings to the East.

Another thing in South Korea is unfortunately the Korean War, which practically leveled the entire country. The Koreans had to build everything in the quickest time, with not a second to waste. They were so ruined that no one thought they'd actually survive past a few years.

So when you need things done and have no time at all for "nonsensical" feedback, what do you do? Follow the army ways and bring them into the office - General calls out demands, Soldiers can only follow, Boss shouts out orders, workers follow. You dither, you're fired. And that gave rise to the concept of "Gap" (the superior) and the "Eul" (the subordinate) in Korea... which just kind of got bastardized into what we see today.

In actual fact, HongJoo's immediate superior just refered to the Gap-Eul concept last episode when she came and left in her sun-dress. "I'm like not be the Gap - looks like I must be the Eul."

Tradition? Humans only "traditionalise" what they like. Or at least, only those with the power to do that - which are the Gap-s.

Edited by xxPeepsxx
Fixed the Gap-Eul mix up!! Thanks gilaswan!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rittoo said:

Huh but he wasn't dead when he was admitted to the hospital. In this show, he has not died yet.

The strangulation marks should have been noticed innert the first day of hospital admission, that that has not been the case is a huge plot bug (almost all medical procedures in this show are just bugs tbh).

The existential question here is similar to the existential question of whether a comatous person with slim chances of waking up again (maybe waking up again to live a functional life) should be killed so that ppl waiting for an organ transplant would get their organs - it's a question that should never be asked.  

Lol well necrosis is simply an example of the effect that trauma has on accurate measurements.  While it is possible to get accurate readings, blood loss, other trauma as well as hospital procedures can affect readings.  understand that you are looking for simplistic “yes or no bah this is a plot hole” but medicine is not black and white.  It depends when he was found, how much trauma he endured etc.  for example if there is extensive bleeding in the case before the majority of the alcohol is absorbed into the body... eg fluid still in his stomach then the BA will be higher.  

in the case of the show if his body is found 12 hours later (ie the next day) then obviously his BA will not accurately reflect his blood alcohol at the time of the incident even with no trauma.  if you remember the case of the nurse in Utah being strong armed it was because the police did not want to risk the few hours they thought it would take to get a warrant for the draw

In the drama if the hospital has no reason to examine for BA in a seeming accident there would be no measurement at all.  how do you know how long he was in surgery for the police to even draw blood or when they would have started an investigation?  Was it 4 hours 8 hours or 2 days?  You do understand the police aren’t there at every hospital logging and intercepting everyone the EMTs bring in?

the point here is tha5 there are enough variables that these supposed “plot holes” aren’t impetitive to the narrative.  The writer doesn’t cover everyth8ng anyone can object to but they aren’t necessarily mistakes either.  It’s something you can ignore simply enough to get to the actual point she is making.

also the point of the story is that the student would have died...  the doctors project it out to a few days, it’s explicitly stated that he would not have recovered so the entire ethical hangup you’re framing for yourself is specifically precluded on the show.

i do agree with you that it is a moral dilemma when doctors are over eager to harvest organs.  And a very real one here in the US as there have been many scandals.  Again here though you have to understand that while we all agree that MDs should act ethically part of the deal of organ donorship is that you understand and accept that some bureaucrat will be playing god & even possibly politics with your parts.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, xxPeepsxx said:

Actually... Confucianism is just ideas about Ethics, Behaviour and Government - aka, how one should act in a group. There are mainly three parts to it, being the "Li", the "Yi" and the "Ren", which represent "Doing the right things at the right time to build an ideal society", "Righteousness" and "Humanity", the last of which can be further broken down into "seriousness", "generosity", "sincerity", "diligence" and "kindness". 

So while there are hierarchies, they are relationships that demand respect in both ways. Like the wife who is supposed to respect her husband and her husband who is supposed to give her the same privilege. The golden rule in Confucianism is "Do not do unto others what you won't do to yourself". A subordinate is supposed to respect the authority of the superior, but that does not mean being a yes-man because the subordinate, in his respect, is also supposed to advise his superior if it seems like he's taking a wrong course of action.

[snip]

But you know, government asses and the bureaucrats like to hold on to power so they actual fact, HongJoo's immediate superior just refered to the Eul-Gap concept last episode when she came and left in her sun-dress. "I must be the Gap I guess, not the Eul."

Tradition? Humans only "traditionalise" what they like. Or at least, only those with the power to do that - which are the Eul-s.

Actually, what her sunbae said was, "She must think she's the "Gap" (갑) in this." :lol: Gap refers to the more favourable position, and "eul" (을), the subordinate. The Chinese character for 갑 is 甲 or "A"; 을 is 乙 or "B". This notion of primary and secondary in relationships stems out of a very extreme interpretation of Confucian ethics, as you have mentioned. While it is true that the original intent in Confucius' teachings was not meant to result in power play - gratitude and responsibility being very key foundations of thought (and again we see a lot of this in the drama - Wootak's dreams being fueled by gratitude for the one who saved him, as is Jaechan's; Prosecutor Son telling her son there are many people they must "repay" for his life being saved, because it's not just a matter of finding a donor, but the gabillion people involved that resulted in him getting that kidney) - it nevertheless has come to that people in power like to remain in power, and structures of gap-eul and the practices involved in them maintain this. The Korean language also structurally perpetuates these ideologies.

Some of our friends here on the thread have responded in absolute surprise and shock that the writer got only 7 years for manslaughter. Unimaginable in most of the communities we come from. I too responded with "Whuuttt??" when Jaechan asked for a maximum sentence of 10 years ("That's maximum?!"). But such is the Korean system, and in such a highly structured and communal society, I reckon even one year in remand will be social and political suicide. Therein lies the justice therefore - not in the number of years in remand, but the depth of social hurt and loss of gap (갑) and status when you occupy the lowest rung of society in prison.

I like that this writer always uses her works to challenge these ideologies. What other platform is there for the common folk there to even be able to publicly challenge such deeply entrenched beliefs of social order? My friend always tells me it's tough to live in Korea. The more I see, read and hear, the more I agree and the less I find their drama scenarios shocking.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

Actually, what her sunbae said was, "She must think she's the "Gap" (갑) in this." :lol: Gap refers to the more favourable position, and "eul" (을), the subordinate. The Chinese character for 갑 is 甲 or "A"; 을 is 乙 or "B". This notion of primary and secondary in relationships stems out of a very extreme interpretation of Confucian ethics, as you have mentioned. 

LOL, what did I write. There was just so much I got confused. Yeah, that Gap-Eul relationship. You're right.

But Sunbae was talking about himself, not HongJoo. I checked the clip again.

• Like 5