[Drama 2017] While You Were Sleeping, 당신이 잠든 사이에

ilwoo_aein

6 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I agree with @bebebisous33. LYB is the real villain here. Also, when i was doing my catching up episodes marathon, i came upon the episode where LYB opens up an umbrella and it is the same color one as mentioned by HJ's dream where she died as a reporter. It was at that moment that it clicked to me that LYB must be involved in her death..or is the one watching over in the rain with the umbrella in her dream. Gosh. I think it was in the episode where he is defending the chef criminal. It was raining or began to rain. He came out of his car and opened the umbrella :wacko:

I forgot which episode it is in. Perhaps someone can show it on here. 

@bebebisous33 do you know which scene I am talking about? 

I know which scene you are mentioning. And in the episode from yesterday, we saw the green umbrella again. So LYB is definitely connected to NHJ's death. LYB considers himself as good and superior to others, whereas he is the exact opposite.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, xxPeepsxx said:

WHAT?! THAT MONSTER ONLY GOT 7 YEARS?!?!

DAMMIT, Korean law and your bullshits!

oh that made me recall the bull)@(&($^  law covering domestic violence in the episode with Kim So-hyun!

• Like 5

Commenting again after a long time, I think that this show is interesting and not repetitive as stated by some as well as in blogs like dramabeans due to the different philosophical questions you seeks to ask as well the values it tries to espouse. For example, in the last case of the archer, should someone be prosecuted and brought to court even if he is not guilty as it is easier to do so due to the public uproar of the case as well as how easily we become judgmental and blinded by emotions like anger and pain. In the current case the last 2 episodes, it asks the questions of equality whether each life is just as valuable or if 1 life can be swept aside with justice not meted if 7 people can be saved. 

It also brought up once again in the closing argument of today's case with relates to other cases as well the cardinal principle of all research that correlation does not equates to causation. Lee Yu Beom's defense of the writer was that the man was still at a brain dead state and he was brought to dead not by the writer but by the decision of the father to agree to the transplant and the doctor who killed the man to facilitate thus, the responsibility should be with the father and doctor and not the writer. Jae Chan's counter argument inspired by Hong Joo was precisely this principle that even if the doctor and father did not do anything, the man in the brain state will still die but on the other hand if the writer did not hit the man and push him down, he would not be in that state in the first place.This then brought both Hong Joo and Prosecutor Sohn out of their self guilt as with or without them, Hong Joo's father would have died, Jae Chan would have been shot or stabbed, people would have died and be available for transplant anyway. 

The deeper meaning of the portrayal of these procedural is thus less of the cases but more of what can be derived out of these cases on questions like the meaning of life etc that is applicable and learned possibly for the rest of us in our respective lives. 

That being said, I am quite surprised in shows and even in real life examples at how lax korean law is, here, a murderer only got 10 years, in real life, the sewol ferry captain only got 15 years if I am not wrong. Does a person have to kill many people to get life imprisonment. 

• Like 7

Love today's episode!

LYB is soo rotten.. I wanna throwup! I think he's the final villain afterall.

Anyway... Anyone catch on Woo tak's secret? Hmm.... I don't think it's that harmful on a normal basis tbh.. but maybe for a police work.. it's a flaw that can't be that easily accepted. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

Love today's episode!

LYB is soo rotten.. I wanna throwup! I think he's the final villain afterall.

Anyway... Anyone catch on Woo tak's secret? Hmm.... I don't think it's that harmful on a normal basis tbh.. but maybe for a police work.. it's a flaw that can't be that easily accepted. 

I think WT secret is color blind....and HJ know that too. On today's ep, HJ lost charger in WT car but explain it's red while actually it was green. Also WT found green rob-cleaner while HJ told it red in last ep....and guess this will be connect  to green umbrella in future.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

5 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

@lan06

Reveal hidden contents

yeah,, I think so too! :ph34r: 

But still, in the back of my mind... I'm still thinking.. is that all? Maybe WT have more secret? We still don't know about his family.... LOL

Yes, I think there will be more story with his family too. Yet this makes complication for HJ death dream.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Wasn't there a scene (at least there was in the preview) where Jaechan checked and saw the marks on his neck? I remember seeing it.

There was, they talked about it, but that was many days after the accident. Where were the doctors when the patient was admitted into the hospital? You know, sometimes they make the protagonists of a drama seem like the only ppl out there, but they are not, or shouldn't be, at least imo.

Yes, but you would be amazed at how corruption can change the order in which logic is presented and accepted. If you live in a country where logic trumps corruption, lucky for you. Consider yourself blessed as I do, cos in my country, this is very unimaginable. Not so in many other parts of the world.

I know, but I kind of thought of SK as a modern democratic country where there's some kind of order in society, you know?

Have you not experienced malfunctions before where the door opens (even slightly) to reveal an elevator-less shaft? If not, good for you. It's dangerous, which is why I tell my children never to lean on the doors of the elevator, inside or out.

You are right, I have not, neither do I know any person who has O_O I definitely think the owner of that building needs to be sued though. I mean ppl get sued for partly obstructing the fire escape when there might never be a fire, but loose doors of an elevator shaft are always there and there's bound to be somebody falling against them or leaning against them or worse, like in this drama, trying to through ppl down through them.

As about the ethical issue, I agree that ethical standards differ across the world. To think that a person who's not even dead yet might be viewed as nothing more than his organs and that should be socially accepted is something that I can't really get my mind around though.

• Like 4

• For some reason I begin to like YB's personality. I mean, he represents the bad guys, but I actually love how he treats his own clients. He holds a mirror and lets them see their own deeds. He tells them that they are who they are. Murderers, bad people, scum. 

He knows the difference between good & bad.

• I was a little bothered by the fact that the drama tries to explain everything with "I dreamed it".
    I'm SO glad that they finally showed the downsides of this, JC relies on this and recklessly does everything because he thinks he will win the case anyway. It's like his senior said, he drives without a seatbelt.

•  Prosecutors Shins "Oh my gosh" was the funniest and most beautiful thing I heard during the past few weeks. :D 

• I mean YB does what a lawyer does, he just tries to win the case. He just does his work. Of course I don't want him to win, his hands are dirty and probably covered in blood aswell, but you can't blame him for being good at his job.
    I mean...you have to admit that his tactic was kinda smart.

• The cases are really the most interesting part of this drama. So interesting and exciting.

6 hours ago, happyboy said:

Yes one person can open an elevator.  Most people intuitively think of plunging to your death when an elevator cable “snaps” as the most likely fatality in a; elevator but in a adequately mai trained elevator there are clamps that engage when the elevator accelerates to make that impossible for the most part.

the actual danger from elevators is accessing the shaft and falling to your death.  Even in home elevators people don’t get hurt from falling elevators it’s getting stuck, falling or smashed inside the shaft.  thats why they have those grills.

it is not easy to open an elevator door but ppl die from time to time that way.  In 2015 a Chinese man died in exactly the same scenario as in this drama... got drunk, kicked and damaged the door then pried it open then fell to his death.  The writer might have possibly been thinking of that exact case writing this scene.  Note however that they would have pried the door laterally not punched it inward as shown in the flashback.

blood alcohol tests are not reliable after death, depending on varied circumstances.  It CAN be reliable if the body is kept at the right temperature but otherwise it’s easy to get a false positive if the body is warmed by external source such as Sun or heating device and fermentation occurs.

the strangulation marks on the neck are clearly what instigate the autopsy as shown in the dreams, since in the firs5biteration of the dream the prosecutor without foreknowledge orders the autopsy based on that 

so your niggardly but superficially possible nitpicks are specious but incorrect.  

That hat is a minor point, most people see things that “bother” them watching TV, whether they know what they are talking about or not.  You are right that there is an issue with the ep and that isn’t abou5 Korean procedural for donors but the sort of existential question about whether it’s right to prosecute a criminal to obtain justice for society or to save lives... the show set up that question then takes a cheap way put where the guy can get both with a Pollyanna outcome.  

Huh but he wasn't dead when he was admitted to the hospital. In this show, he has not died yet.

The strangulation marks should have been noticed innert the first day of hospital admission, that that has not been the case is a huge plot bug (almost all medical procedures in this show are just bugs tbh).

The existential question here is similar to the existential question of whether a comatous person with slim chances of waking up again (maybe waking up again to live a functional life) should be killed so that ppl waiting for an organ transplant would get their organs - it's a question that should never be asked.  

• Like 2

WT is Colour blind? That's his big secret?! Wow, and HJ was so sharp that she planted a green charger , then told WT it's red.  

The scene at the laundromat with JC and HJ's mom, had me converted to a Lee Jong Suk fan. :) .  I got to admit, I have been avoiding all his drama because I can't stand his nose.  He should demand a refund from his plastic surgeon. Or he should call Park Min Young's surgeon.  Almost gave this drama a miss because of him.  I am shallow, I know. :( 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Just now completed watching the episode..

I loved the way JC prosecuted that writer.. The way he talked abt justice.. LJS did a wonderful job.. He delivered the lines with full emotions which has a lot of impact.. kbiScmR.gif

I loved WT teaching JC how to convince the kid.. WT was cute while speaking like that.. but JC was the cutest.. that too in front of everyone he has lots of guts..i just loved it.. kbiScmR.gif..is WT colour blind.. He couldn't tell the color of charge bank of HJ.. Then he couldnt tell whether the walkie talkies were charged.. Coz after completion it shows green color.. He couldn't see it.. He will not be able to see the green umbrella which is clue to possible murder of HJ.. Is that a clue that WT will see something but will ignore coz of his problem?? 9BnYBBY.gif

I loved when JC was in right position in court.. HJ dropped the hint for him to proceed.. The way they correlated HJ explaining to that ahjusshi n JC explaining to the judge was impactful.. 

Finally, to the sea they go.. It was cute scene.. Finally HJ's mom accepted him.. It was reunion.. qF9KK2k.gif

YB was such a creep.. The way he played dirty.. Gosh!! I was irritated.. But the actor LSY is doing great job..qF9KK2k.gif The green umbrella had gone from YB to JC's brother's classmate.. His father died.. He must be feeling the remorse.. As JC's brother didn't say abt the case to JC.. 

The monologue at the end by JC made my heart fall in pit.. The preview seems to have hard times ahead for JC n HJ.. What's the matter with WT?? He seemed disturbed by the man's death news?? Is he related?? Gosh!!WT is still a mystery.. 9BnYBBY.gifBut still I like him lol..

again a droolworthy look of JC!! JC with messy hair.. Gosh!! He is soo handsomeG4GV2jt.gifG4GV2jt.gif

E9SbsYq.jpg

• Like 7

Its true that WT has secrets which most of us don't know except one that was shown in today's episode.  That is WT is color blind he has trouble distinguishing red and green (phone charger and walkie talkie).  Color blindness occurs more in men than women as well.  I am not sure if that would affect eligibility requirements in being a policeman, he has lived with it for years so WT does have the ability to cover that weakness, so very few would have noticed it, maybe HJ.

Today's episode was good despite medical plot issues which is typical kdrama style.  I liked JC cross examination of the child, his comeback to YB as to his next strategy at the end of the to prove credibility and his closing argument telling the court, judges and others not to be confused with the facts which is the man is brain dead because he was hurt by the accused who is the cause.  Last week episodes for the prosecuting lawyers and the detective was a bandaid ripped off hard and blinders  taken off as to the true character of YB.   Most of them were of the opinion that JC was jealous and somewhat wrong in not liking YB the person, but they got to see for themselves in the questioning that was not the case and it was more JC knowing the true personality of the man than others hence he distancing himself from the man.  They are no longer YB fans and the preview with the falsely accused suicide case will be bringing some things more upfront as to YB's work when he was a prosecutor especially with Chief Choi.  At times I think that YB does not hold much respect for the prosecution, principles or the law for that manner, its a game for him to manipulate, win and with the criminals its a power trip for him knowing that they come to him for help.  The fact that these criminals are unrepentant makes him feel disgusted afterwards its his little conscience that bothers him, hence the intense washing of his hands as a way of 'cleansing' himself.

HJ/JC feed off each other in being their conscience when making or considering a decision, it was shown when HJ told JC about the dreams and what he should consider which was the 3rd choice save 7 people and catch the culprit.  Also when she loudly tells the court not to be confused and what YB is saying is distasteful and utter foolishness, before leaving she hinted to JC what he should do.  This helped JC come up with a counter closing argument to YB and help resolved the case by saying that the family are heroes for choosing to save 7 lives despite the cruelty of the son's death and it is injustice if they let off the accused.  Injustice to me still applies because 7 years for murder is an insult to the deceased, the people and the family, it should be a minimum of hard labor 20 years subject to consideration of parole after said 20 years.  But I will never understand some country's laws and their punishments to crimes of that nature.  

I also question the ability of the accused, in that he is a murder mystery novelist therefore he should and must research on the law, crime and situations in order to draft a believable novel that his fans enjoy.  In other words knowledge and understanding based on what he does apart from being the professor should have been there, his movements does not match one who writes books of that nature.  I was surprised that this case did not get huge exposure as he is a famous author there was little or no press coverage of his case which is a big one.

Lawyer Son in a way shined today as to capabilities as a prosecutor and her ability as a single mother with a sick son.  I like the idea of her in the end dating the comedic prosecutor, he is good for her and he showed a considerate side of him.  Remember he wants a girlfriend.

Gone for now

• Like 9

Oh no our poor Wootak is color blind?! What to do!? And when Wootak did aegyo I just wanted to squish him LoL. He's not just hot but adorable too. So does this mean Seungwon's classmate may have something to do with Hongjoo's untimely end?? 

That beach date with Hongjoo-Jaechan feels bittersweet like their last moments together before something happens.... 

• Like 6

I'm not sure but It seems that the next episode is about the the sunbae cop ahjusshi, The brother of the soldier who caused the death of HJ and JC's dads. It's possible he got framed and asks JC's help to clear his name.

Speaking about  Myung DaeGu (SeungWon's friend and classmate) ,

the actor who played his character is Lee DoGyeom (DoKyeom).

15035796_272336489830704_655567710524014

• Like 4

So SW's classmate has the green umbrella now, so does that make him Nam Joo's potential killer? I was wondering if he would resent SW for not getting Jae Chan to help his father's situation. Perhaps he will think if Jae Chan helped his father sooner, his father would not have felt so hopeless about being falsely convicted and committed suicide. I feel like SW's classmate will do something drastic. 

• Like 5