[Drama 2017] While You Were Sleeping, 당신이 잠든 사이에

ilwoo_aein

So I've been reading the comments made of Lee Jongsuk's acting being "half-hearted" or him not being "sufficiently immersed" in this drama. I am admittedly a huge fan of his shows - I fall in love with just about every character he plays, including this of Jung Jaechan. But being as unbiased as I must be in my assessment of his performance in this series, I naturally... turned to my husband for his opinion! :D Hubby being the most disinterested-in-Kdrama-unless-the-plot-and-acting-come-together-superbly person I know. It's an achievement on the part of the writer, director and actors that I managed to get Hubby to follow this drama with me.

And Hubby's opinion?

Lee Jongsuk is doing perfectly portraying the character of Jung Jaechan who is meant to be a bit socially unwilling, at times aloof, awkward, fearful of commitment, but having all of that overturned by Nam Hongjoo who is awakening sensibilities in him he kept dormant since his father died. AND I AGREE! 

True he started on this role very soon after concluding filming of VIP (I've not watched it but read enough reviews to imagine what kind of a psychotic character he had to play, nothing I'm honestly too keen to watch), and it takes a lot to switch gears so suddenly. But he also had 5 months to grow into this character, and I think he did. I'm not sure why anyone would think LJS wasn't emoting this character enough. This character is exactly not the emotional sort. If anything, LJS is extremely careful with the emotions he's projecting through Jung Jaechan because

Jaechan

• is not particularly outwardly expressive - look at the spoiler clip of his date with Hongjoo while cameo Lee Sungkyung and Yoon Kyunsang are being all cutesy and overly showy on their date. Jaechan was looking at them part awkwardly, part disgustedly, and was all round confused as to what it means to be an attentive boyfriend. Seriously? A reed to replace flowers??  

• spent so much of his growing up years trying to play himself down before others - remember how Detective Choi said that Jaechan acts all stupid but was surprised at how much he prepared in order to indict the wife beater? He does that so that people's expectations of him remain constantly kept at bay.

• is afraid to commit, so being aloof is the best way to go about life - he consciously avoided kissing Hongjoo the first time even though his dream showed him he would, and articulated in the voiceover that he liked her but was clearly afraid of committing to a relationship because he didn't want to let her down (just as he had feared he would let his father down). 

But Jaechan finds outlets for these repressed emotions - he takes all these photos of himself with his prosecutor badge, driving a car, graduation pics and places them in his father's niche; he gets jealous when he sees Hongjoo hugging Wootak in his dream and takes it out on poor Seungwon; he goes all giddy after getting over the shock of Hongjoo giving him a peck on his lips. Basically, this guy is neurotic and LJS brings about this other side of him perfectly! All cool as a cucumber on the outside, but silly and gooey on the inside.

I love Lee Jongsuk's portrayal of Jung Jaechan. Can't imagine anyone else playing this role.  :wub:

@stargazer187 @lynne22 @kokodus

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

So I've been reading the comments made of Lee Jongsuk's acting being "half-hearted" or him not being "sufficiently immersed" in this drama. I am admittedly a huge fan of his shows - I fall in love with just about every character he plays, including this of Jung Jaechan. But being as unbiased as I must be in my assessment of his performance in this series, I naturally... turned to my husband for his opinion! :D Hubby being the most disinterested-in-Kdrama-unless-the-plot-and-acting-come-together-superbly person I know. It's an achievement on the part of the writer, director and actors that I managed to get Hubby to follow this drama with me.

And Hubby's opinion?

Lee Jongsuk is doing perfectly portraying the character of Jung Jaechan who is meant to be a bit socially unwilling, at times aloof, awkward, fearful of commitment, but having all of that overturned by Nam Hongjoo who is awakening sensibilities in him he kept dormant since his father died. AND I AGREE! 

True he started on this role very soon after concluding filming of VIP (I've not watched it but read enough reviews to imagine what kind of a psychotic character he had to play, nothing I'm honestly too keen to watch), and it takes a lot to switch gears so suddenly. But he also had 5 months to grow into this character, and I think he did. I'm not sure why anyone would think LJS wasn't emoting this character enough. This character is exactly not the emotional sort. If anything, LJS is extremely careful with the emotions he's projecting through Jung Jaechan because

Jaechan

• is not particularly outwardly expressive - look at the spoiler clip of his date with Hongjoo while cameo Lee Sungkyung and Yoon Kyunsang are being all cutesy and overly showy on their date. Jaechan was looking at them part awkwardly, part disgustedly, and was all round confused as to what it means to be an attentive boyfriend. Seriously? A reed to replace flowers??  

• spent so much of his growing up years trying to play himself down before others - remember how Detective Choi said that Jaechan acts all stupid but was surprised at how much he prepared in order to indict the wife beater? He does that so that people's expectations of him remain constantly kept at bay.

• is afraid to commit, so being aloof is the best way to go about life - he consciously avoided kissing Hongjoo the first time even though his dream showed him he would, and articulated in the voiceover that he liked her but was clearly afraid of committing to a relationship because he didn't want to let her down (just as he had feared he would let his father down). 

But Jaechan finds outlets for these repressed emotions - he takes all these photos of himself with his prosecutor badge, driving a car, graduation pics and places them in his father's niche; he gets jealous when he sees Hongjoo hugging Wootak in his dream and takes it out on poor Seungwon; he goes all giddy after getting over the shock of Hongjoo giving him a peck on his lips. Basically, this guy is neurotic and LJS brings about this other side of him perfectly! All cool as a cucumber on the outside, but silly and gooey on the inside.

I love Lee Jongsuk's portrayal of Jung Jaechan. Can't imagine anyone else playing this role.  :wub:

@gilaswan I like what you said about Jong Suk's portrayal of Jae Chan in the drama. :blush: May I post this (cr to you) in Jong Suk's thread? 

• Like 7

It is raining and YB is driving.

He received a phone call and sounded mad.

He reached office and placed the wet umbrella by the side.

A client was waiting for him; think it is the lecturer/professor who beat his student(s).

It was an official event and HJ was interviewing him.

The male student with the arm sling went to the podium and addressed the audience.

He then showed photos of the lecturer/professor abusing the students.

He was brought down by the security.

He then scuffled with the student and strangled him against the elevator's door. The screws were coming loose.

There was a thud sound and the elevator shook.

Student was seen lying on top of the elevator, bleeding.

This student was brought to the hospital; the bloodied one who was being rushed and given CPR.

Back to YB's office; talking again and also about some service.

YB told him to repeat after him, "Please save me Lawyer Lee."

Scene of HJ and colleagues in a meeting; talking about the case.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Both WT and HJ went to fetch JC and SW from the hospital.

JC realised that HJ was not wearing the ring.

JC showed his prosecutor card to the lil boy.

As he was walking away, he fainted.

All four of them rushed him for medical help.

The small boy is in the same ward as the hurt student.

Doc came to deliver some bad news to the student's father and he collapsed in the chair.

Lecturer smiled while looking at the student.

JC's sunbae came rushing in to her son's side.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, cadymcbronzie said:

It is raining and YB is driving.

He received a phone call and sounded mad.

He reached office and placed the wet umbrella by the side.

A client was waiting for him; think it is the lecturer/professor who beat his student(s).

It was an official event and HJ was interviewing him.

The male student with the arm sling went to the podium and addressed the audience.

He then showed photos of the lecturer/professor abusing the students.

He was brought down by the security.

@nonski noona!

A9W00eD.gif

Spoiler

ruIWDC2.gif

f1WFiDU.gif

M0hfhtm.gif

Spoiler

HUpGevC.gif

k2MtIzV.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

SORRY FOR THE LATE SHOUT-OUT!

I DON'T HAVE A GOOD CONNECTION AT HOME

SO I WON'T BE ABLE TO RECAP WITH EVERYONE THIS WEEK

I WILL JUST BE WAITING FOR ALL THE RECAPS HERE

HOPE EVERYONE CAN JOIN OUR LIVEBLOGGING TONIGHT!

CALLING OUR DEAREST DONGSAENG-PARTNER @jeonghyang!

OUR LIVEBLOGGERS  @uglypearl, @cadymcbronzie  AND  @Rania Zeid for the twitter updates

TO @xxPeepsxx FOR THE TRANSLATIONS!

===============

clap-cheetah-emoticon.gifclap-cheetah-emoticon.gifclap-cheetah-emoticon.gifclap-cheetah-emoticon.gifclap-cheetah-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------

@ilwoo_aein @jeonghyang @Rania Zeid @evie7 @moodypie @bebebisous33 @Visually-wandering @irenetan @parkchams @daynci @vrod123 @valentvcd @kimhanbin102296 @uglypearl @lmhpsh @JojoCx3 @darcydevenus @Mymindisblank @jstgt1501 @mujay @faithinme lara @VIP_Cake @bahara @quockhanh45 @stargazer187 @idless @Queen_Of_Baekje @didi31 @wunwing1 @lan06 @londonfrog @skuukzky Fan @an-naum @Bara Tresna @puppy8888 @sukzy @soultree @lery50 @Go Seung Ji @Riman Rakshit @AlexandraReid @Miky88 @triplem @arhana @emiry32 @sakura2016 @frozentundra @Latte_Anyday @Fai Nurse @marykarmelina @vangsweetie637 @saanjh sena @herina_90 @baechimi @cadymcbronzie @kaoriharang @0ly40 @Chellsee @hacenthanonuevo @uglypearl @zagigirl @nona88 @Silver Fall @julie721 @YourHighness . @Killa92 @Bambiina @alekaonu @Anggraselena @desertflower @babsgrrl @ddeokbokkii @cherrycokez @sava2sava @CamelKnight @stroppyse @meiil @scorpio8 @baechimi @fellforryu @kembie  @USAFarmgirl @kimhanbin102296 @booo28 @blademan @roziecaparas @lovcom00 @icyphoenix @larus @kokodus @htk9207 @lynne22@tianaa @naritul @mai5116 @aineofcebu @gomugomuno @jellybellymonster @itzibitzispider @serhine @blackberrypie @bogummerz @chubbybugz @GREENNA @mellinadear @wunwing1 @Shine2111 @nammminn @silvianage @Reyko @enigmatic_zephy @faye406 @plappi @parisonheaven @snowglobe147 @oohhkkay @rairamegumi  @tintin92 @sarah15 @yoyo_icecube @kasjady @yeonka @kikair @Mau_Cherry @moodypie @xiashenghan @szne09 @hugo10 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, cadymcbronzie said:

He then scuffled with the student and strangled him against the elevator's door. The screws were coming loose.

There was a this as the elevator shook.

Student was seen lying on top of the elevator, bleeding.

This student was brought to the hospital; the bloodied one who was being rushed and given CPR.

Back to YB's office; talking again and also about some service.

YB told him to repeat after him, "Please save me Lawyer Lee."

xLUuySp.gif

Spoiler

r5zIfZn.gif

LEduMim.gif

Spoiler

DSnbRcw.gif

azH24Rc.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

All four were standing in between HJ and JC homes.

HJ grabbed JC's hand and luggage and brought him home.

WT and SW were left standing outside. Eomoni fed him food while HJ went to her room. Searching for something.

JC knocked and came into her room.

She told him to sit on the bed.

He asked her about the ring.

She found the thermometer and took his temperature.

He unpacked and she wished him good night.

He started to imagine HJ flirting with WT when he was recuperating in her room too.

He got jealous and started to flip his slippers and pillows.

ㅋㅋㅋ

While HJ and eomoni were applying face lotion before bed, HJ asked her mom about the ring.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cadymcbronzie said:

Scene of HJ and colleagues in a meeting; talking about the case.

VfG3FQd.gif

Spoiler

epszaFU.gif

3 minutes ago, cadymcbronzie said:

Both WT and HJ went to fetch JC and SW from the hospital.

JC realised that HJ was not wearing the ring.

JC showed his prosecutor card to the lil boy.

As he was walking away, he fainted.

All four of them rushed him for medical help.

The small boy is in the same ward as the hurt student.

Doc came to deliver some bad news to the student's father and he collapsed in the chair.

Lecturer smiled while looking at the student.

JC's sunbae came rushing in to her son's side.

uzlqlb4.gif

Spoiler

MSw7MSC.gif

F5j6W7A.gif

AnYD8da.gif

Spoiler

cCJqzlp.gif

7edvyvI.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

WT's dream:

About the hurt student, his father begging JC for help, the smug look on both the lecturer and YB, and JC was packing his stuff in a box.

Him quitting his job.

HJ's dream:

The father begging JC for help, JC was in his bedroom and crying. Looking at his name holder in a box.

Him quitting his job.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cadymcbronzie said:

All four were standing in between HJ and JC homes.

HJ grabbed JC's hand and luggage and brought him home.

WT and SW were left standing outside. Eomoni fed him food while HJ went to her room. Searching for something.

JC knocked and came into her room.

She told him to sit on the bed.

He asked her about the ring.

She found the thermometer and took his temperature.

He unpacked and she wished him good night.

6cORHeS.gif

Spoiler

W429Ytf.gif

0GzwtBM.gif

EQ22jRT.gif

Spoiler

kBCPwPN.gif

LLh5BZZ.gif

7 minutes ago, cadymcbronzie said:

He started to imagine HJ flirting with WT when he was recuperating in her room too.

He got jealous and started to flip his slippers and pillows.

ㅋㅋㅋ

While HJ and eomoni were applying face lotion before bed, HJ asked her mom about the ring.

4DYBD3g.gif

Spoiler

5LTnliM.gif

ieuUckt.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cadymcbronzie said:

WT's dream:

About the hurt student, his father begging JC for help, the smug look on both the lecturer and YB, and JC was packing his stuff in a box.

Him quitting his job.

HJ's dream:

The father begging JC for help, JC was in his bedroom and crying. Looking at his name holder in a box.

Him quitting his job.

Rt4g7jp.gif

Spoiler

3M89iWi.gif

zgI5dlg.gif

Spoiler

sBOxSgF.gif

i0FIbZk.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

WT drove to HJ's house.

He met her outside while she brought out the recyclable items.

They spoke about each other's dreams.

JC saw them talking when he was at the rooftop.

He overheard the conversation.

HJ and JC are at the bus stop.

They missed a bus and HJ said something about the weather being nice today.

And HJ sent a message to her sunbae that she was not coming in to work.

Scene of JC's senior male prosecutor giving coffee to Prosecutor Shin.

Now they are at the field, just like in the preview.

HJ imitating the goats and JC laughing.

Talking selca in the field with the cameos by LSY and YKS. 

While walking, HJ kept on reaching out to sling her arm with JC.

JC then turned around and took her arm, and they walked arm in arm.

HJ mentioned about going to the beach.

They then stopped and started talking about about the case.

Now I am curious about the yellow cap!

Then JC said, let's go to the beach.

While walking back, YKS called JC ahjussi and asked for help to take a pic.

It is a noona-dongsaeng relationship ㅋㅋㅋ

SW and his classmate is talking about something *lost in translation*

YB and lecturer are walking out of the building.

WT is taking pictures of them, in his car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cadymcbronzie said:

WT drove to HJ's house.

He met her outside while she brought out the recyclable items.

They spoke about each other's dreams.

JC saw them talking when he was at the rooftop.

He overheard the conversation.

HJ and JC are at the bus stop.

They missed a bus and HJ said something about the weather being nice today.

And HJ sent a message to her sunbae that she was not coming in to work.

Scene of JC's senior male prosecutor giving coffee to Prosecutor Shin.

hxk8Yoj.gif

Spoiler

DB1zZdx.gif

cymY086.gif

RG875xJ.gif

Spoiler

wzR7zF1.gif

Rh4dfHG.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

HJ and JC are walking home when SW came out to take his brother home.

He mentioned something about eomoni.

JC went home and said to HJ, see you tmrw.

HJ suspected something is not right with eomoni.

She asked her while helping to fold the clothes.

Mom is denying.

She went to the room and recalled the moments HJ cried when JC was hurt and dad passed away.

She took out the ring box and apologised to JC.

JC was checking his mobile and read the messages left by his boss and colleagues.

The next morning, both JC and HJ met to go to the beach. He was dressed in his suit, glasses and brought a mat.

Then HJ said, we will just go next time. She took off her hat and glasses. She then took off his glasses.

While JC was waiting for a cab, she gave him  back hug.

At a preschool, the lecturer was looking for a small boy without his hat. Apparently, he witnessed the whole incident.

When the lecturer approached him, the small boy peed in his pants and started to run away. The lecturer chased after him.

The boy fell down and lectuer was about to touch him, when WT and sunbae came to the rescue.

Lecturer was handcuffed and placed in the back seat of the police car.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1