[Taiwanese Drama 2017] The Perfect Match 極品絕配

tompark

3 hours ago, angelica101 said:

Saw ep. 9 earlier live today, so will put my thoughts as spoiler: 

Reveal hidden contents

Things went as we expected. I'm kinda impressed how professional Ting En is even though Wei Fenqing is just working/learning 7 days. Not everyone would say yes in teach some stranger your best known dish. 

Ting Ens' confession was as steamy and hot as seen in the preview (if not hotter). They actually filmed that scene 3 times which is quite impressive. My heart broke when I saw Ting Ens' face after the confession. The rejection (well, Wei Fenqing didn't say yes) and the fact that she is leaving must be too much. 

And poor Ah Wei... Confession on his birthday and after Ting Ens' confession is not a good combination. The worst thing is Wei Fenqings' reaction, which is just laughing it off. He did want he could do, but it was too much for Wei Fenqing to handle in just a few hours.... 

We also got more family drama. It's official that Ting Ens' stepmother surpassed Ru Xi as the most hated character in this drama. She is basically one of the person that killed Ting Ens' sister (indirectly). I can really feel how hard it is for Ting En to live in this family. We also saw that the grandmother checked Wei Fenqings' background. Please don't tell me the the death of Wei Fenings' father has to do this Ting Ens' family-.- It wouldn't surprise me, but please NOOO! 

A small (and not so good) translation of the preview: 

Fenqing: I found the guy that took your sister (probably her boyfriend at that time)

Ting En: Why are you meddling in other people's business? GO AWAY!

Fenqing: From now on, I will not come back to La Mure again

I'll be crying sooo hard next week:bawling:

Well, I did not watch episode 9, unfortunatelly my chinese is not good yet. But I did not like the way Ting En treated her in the preview, he almost hit her! And after we saw  the accident, I think something may happen to Fenqing (although I do not think it would be lost memory, but perhaps something that could stopped her from been a cook?)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW TO THAT KISS THOUGHHHH!!!! THE WAY HE JUST PINNED HER AND KISSED HER! :wub::wub::wub: 

Not many actors can ace this kinda scenes without it seeming too forceful but Chris Wu nailed it! Just WOW.

I was blushing man! And 3 takes! Ivy must have been exhausted haha :lol: 

But did she really reject him though? HOW can she after a kiss like that?! No it wasn't a kiss, it was a straight up make out sesh!

Waited and waited and showed more patience for but now can't resist anymore and watching episode with 96% translation.

@bebebisous33 @funnyhunny07 . @blademan @nubianlegalmind @ate

@Ana Paula Cionci The earlier preview gave the indication that Wei was crying but, nope, Its just some water splashed on her while driving. Accident means Hospital care time? I don't think accident is hugely serious affair. In episode 2 they both fell from 2nd or 3rd floor and were alright. Wei fell from the bike in episode 4 and was alright few hours later. I don't think scriptwriter likes to show physical pain much.

@angelica101 thank you for joining us few members here. The only hate worthy character in the show is 1st mother. She is so into her own agenda that can't see the sincerity of others. Heck, 2nd mother takes care of her son and grandma. She doesn't understand her own son or tries to understand him. She is bossy and so entitled that you ends up doing double facepalm and so is she chosen the daughter-in-law.

@blademan and everyone - its about the kiss - a hot and passionate kiss but also a Forced Kiss.65% into its run it was kind of forced. I'm not much into kiss scenes or other physical proximity. So, most of the time  these kinds of scenes have not much effect on me. And i feel many times these scenes are done as fan service and American soft power has made a lasting impression on people all around the world. So any romantic progression means a kiss scene. Many a times i feel it being western narrative imposed on other cultures and that you can clearly see in how fans vouch for a kiss scene. 

I liked how Ting En admitted right away that it was rude of him to do the act this way. It was error of judgement and Wei deserved apology from Ting En. Wei was completely blanked and even confused so it had pretty shocking affect and even as a viewer i felt embarrassed and paused the episode for 1 minute and then kept on pausing because of this scene. I felt awkward and even uncomfortable to some extent.

Well, Wei's mind and heart aren't in sync and that's why Both confessions shocked her.

20 hours ago, catocat said:

@blademan and everyone - its about the kiss - a hot and passionate kiss but also a Forced Kiss.65% into its run it was kind of forced. I'm not much into kiss scenes or other physical proximity. So, most of the time  these kinds of scenes have not much effect on me. And i feel many times these scenes are done as fan service and American soft power has made a lasting impression on people all around the world. So any romantic progression means a kiss scene. Many a times i feel it being western narrative imposed on other cultures and that you can clearly see in how fans vouch for a kiss scene. 

Yes it was definitely forced! Agreed. But she did give in halfway...what I'm saying is the sensuality of it was nice to watch because you can see that he definitely has developed some kind of attraction towards her and genuinely care for her. But for FQ, I think it hasn't reached HIS feelings as of yet but there's definitely something there! What I also like about this scene is that it was not cliche in a way that she actually told him what he just did was wrong and that's what I love about her character because she is no pushover and this brings me back to when he 'forced' the kiss on her...with her character, she could've continuously pushed him away if she wanted to but she didn't (just saying)

@angelica101 just saw the preview on youtube. Looks like Hospital scene so nothing major happened. That's my view about it. Yeah, Our Girl is crying. And as expected from 2nd male lead - providing his shoulders to console the heroine. Well, He has to shoulder this responsibility. Afterall, He is the best buddy of Wei.

@blademan I want to be an actor. Seriously, That way i get to kiss multiple heroines. Sarcasm aside, Forced kiss is forced. Just because Wei responded to it favourbaly later on doesn't make the action right which Ting En himself accepted.Yeah, Wei did pretty well pointing out the wrong did by Ting En and this scriptwriter doesn't shy to make cliche scenes as simple as possible. The drunken night scene was as much. Till now Scriptwriter hasn't chosen overly Dramatic path and that's another +ve of the show. As said earlier i felt a bit uncomfortable with the kiss scene but the concept and feelings involved makes the viewer notice the emotions involved in this physical presentation of love.

Fashion - I hate this torn or ripped jeans style. I always hated them and felt confused how come stylist came up with such wardrobe. But then i saw Korean actors wearing them in real life events such as interviews. I always felt this was one terrible trend with those loose pants style. And i'm not the only one - I saw people complaining about the same in Viki Comments of the episodes.

I had to take some time and let the events of ep 9 sink in before i responded here. :no_mouth: @catocat 

The kiss was epic! I told you all Chris was a great kisser...but yes it was initiated by force and i don't excuse it but it was hot. I think him being all gloomy and in his feeling was because of a few thing; Ting En indirectly asked Wei if she wanted to stay and if she liked him, but i think he hasnt realized she a literal person, you have to spell it out for her. I think he took it as half rejection half unsure. Then Ah Wei being the second lead that he is tries to lean over the "just friends" line (unnoticed by Wei) and it burns Ting En just enough. Then add a feww beers and you get an unfiltered passionate kiss and the awkward atmosphere after. Sh did say she didnt want to stay after the kiss but im sure that was after shock of surprise passion :hushed: @blademan

Not only was it Wei's first kiss, she was unsure of her feelings for him. I know she likes him but I think another week together and she would have had less of a confused face afterwards. Shes at the point Ting En was when they went to the party. Interested but not quite sure. 

The 1st mother is down right crazy...enough said. She bitter and unless something else happened to make her this way she will only get burned if she continues on this path. Forcing her son, pushing away ppl that care and having her nose in the air. I think her son, i forget his name at the moment...im terrible with names... will rebel with the GF situation, that or betray his mother. You all know those couples who have been together for so long you expect them to get married and be the ideal couple of the group. That's ?tenzin? and his girlfriend. But in the end they break up and marry other ppl.

Whats the deal with NaiNai and Wei's family tree, hearing her name and that facial expression that says so much. We all peeped that... i feel some birth secret is in the works. I do have a few theories; Wei's father was close with Ting En's adopted father then became estranged, NaiNai knew her father and sponsored him, Wei's father's recipes were stolen by NaiNai or her son and they made money off of it and when Wei's father tried to fight them on the issue he got into an accident, Wei's father invested in the Huo family business but they threw him under the bus....so many possibilities. But seeing as nothing is too serious in this drama it might be less dramatic and more just info to connect everyone showing that its a small world after all. 

The trailers are exciting, i need subs on the last one where shes crying. ima act like i didnt see that accident trailer :sweatingbullets: @angelica101

20 hours ago, angelica101 said:

Another preview: 

Poor thing:bawling::bawling::bawling:

As the preview it looks like she made some misunderstand in the cooking thing and Ting En blame her for it hmm. And worse, he thinks she is getting advantage of him!  Is that right?

@catocat You are right about that, but I stay with my opinion that Ting En did not deserve her u.u

@funnyhunny07 .  I always forget that you guys need subtitles... I guess Viki don't do the subtitles for previews, I can put the basic meaning here:)

Wei Fenqing: My heart hurts. He always likes to help me (in a forced way). I don't what to like him, but I do like him. *Cries*

(This is one of the worst translations ever-.-)

Yeah, I guess Fenqing isn't hurt or anything, but it really breaks my heart to see her cry like this over Ting En (please don't tell me that it's Ting En thats got hurt instead). It also see Ah Wei comfort the woman he likes over another guy..... 

New preview - More detailed Preview

Proved Accident wasn't serious and Wei indeed was crying while driving.

@Ana Paula Cionci Ah Fei the 2nd male lead? Your comment has confused me.

@angelica101 be our angel and translate this preview please. @funnyhunny07 . You have run far ahead with your predictions. I don't think we will see much drama. Scriptwriter has avoided anything too serious or too -ve.

5 hours ago, catocat said:

New preview - More detailed Preview

Proved Accident wasn't serious and Wei indeed was crying while driving.

@Ana Paula Cionci Ah Fei the 2nd male lead? Your comment has confused me.

@angelica101 be our angel and translate this preview please. @funnyhunny07 . You have run far ahead with your predictions. I don't think we will see much drama. Scriptwriter has avoided anything too serious or too -ve.

No prob:)

One of the worker at night market: La Mure is in danger!

Xiao Bin: We don't have a cook that is good at street food. Should we ask Wei Fenqing to come back?

Ah Wei: Ever since you appeared, there hasn't been a day where she is happy. 

Ting En: Why would you always force me to face things that I don't want to face again? GO AWAY!

Fenqing: When he has his struggles, I also want to help him. 

Ah Wei: I beg you, please give me the happy Wei Fenqing back. Please? 

hi chinggus, 

On 5/1/2017 at 9:45 PM, Ana Paula Cionci said:

@catocat No! I just think that in the preview where he almost hits her and said that she should take care of her own business it was totally jerk off him.And now I realized that I was confused about the name of the characters hahaha. I mean Ting En

Yeah, I was shocked upon seeing it and I disliked that scene too. Anyway, I was intrigued with the reaction of Ting En's grandma when she heard Fenqing's surname. Does she know her dad? What does she want to know about her family background? Is it a bad or a good thing her curiosity about her? What could be the event in the past that would affect their friendship/budding relationship? 

Tbh, I'm happy Ting En kissed her because it means to say he likes her but I didn't like the kiss for some reason.

Thanks for the preview. I wasn't expecting multiple ones. I would admit to watching it raw post upload and didn't have time to rewatch it with sub. The problem with following 2 Korean dramas on the weekend. The Perfect Match is my first watch. Subs or no subs.

Does the writer like forced kisses or find violence against females acceptable? Since we saw it in both episode 9 and 10. I don't follow the Chinese drama scenes closely so have no clue regarding the writers previous works. I just don't want to spoil my good opinion of Chris Wu if her/ his ( writer) previous works suck.

@Angelica101- thanks for the translations. Your translations are fine. It is accurate. I watch so much KD that I forget that I can watch Mandarin based dramas without subs. So come here for spoilers. 

I like The Perfect Match but i'm falling in love with Love, Timeless more and more. Its previews are bringing storm in my heart.

@angelica101 thanks and @ck1Oz that means you can also translate new previews for us. hehe. Chinese the mother tongue? 

@Ana Paula Cionci and everyone. Its not only visible in ep 09 and 10. Just look at all those Wrist Grab and walk scenes. Appropriate situations are needed for a perfect Wrist Grab and i think scriptwriter was unable to create even 1 such good situation. It doesn't matter if it is Hero or Heroine, Use your mouth/ tongue to walk the talk and don't give free hand to grab anyone's collar.

Here is Ivy and Chris's Latest Photoshot

@ck1Oz Thanks. It's good to receive feedback if the translation is good or not. But regarding to your question about the script, I took a quick search of the writers and couldn't find anything special except from one of then was co-writer for Refresh Man (2016). Without being an expert or anything, I think there are basically two reasons why the drama is written this way: 

1. Compared to Chinese drama, Taiwanese is on decline. Many of the actors we saw in TD (Taiwanese drama) are receiving jobs only in China. Chris Wu said that indirectly during this award speech last year. I guess writers have to turn their heads to China where the romcom tends to be the male is dominating (almost like an alpha male character). As far I can think of, this is not common in TD. 

2. There are many interviews where Chris Wu stated that he and the production team wanted this drama to be different from typical romcom (as this is possible the last romcom for Chris Wu). I think this also triggers the drama to be more "intense"... 

@Catocat- er no I learnt it from hearing it from people. So I only get the gist. It is not even on my offical language list. My 1st 3 languages way back in school was not Mandarin. I come to TW occasionally because this is about the only time I hear Mandarin in my daily life. But the minute it hits the Taiwanese Hokkien I am out. It's just I can watch both TW and KD without subs. My Korean is actually better than my Mandarin. I used to sometime sub TW dramas just to keep my Mandarin fluent but have no time now. I worked with more Kdramas previously compared to TW.

@angelica101 really? That's interesting. My last CD was the one with what'shisname? See... told you I don't watch much TW. Anyway it was something Slow as a snail. Anyway it was very violent for me. And the other one was with the same writer... and the male lead had a spilt personality. I couldn't watch it till the end. It's not that I am squeamish it's just that it is not very relaxing to watch it. And I don't have time to waste watching a drama  where ethically I don't agree with violence towards women. Now I sound like a feminist. I just see a lot of violence and injuries n my work so don't choose to see it during my non working hours. 

So will see how this show goes on... otherwise can wait till the end and skip forward scenes. It's going to be above 20 episodes right? Have no clue who anyone is except for Chirs Wu. And even then I only know him from another drama where Annie something was in. Sorry I am so vague with all the names. I really don't follow TW much. I do look at all the La Mure food and just laugh though. When I think about his Michelin star and see the dishes he plates up. Because I can cook all the curries he talks about and I just laugh because of the props. Putting all those spices onto big open bowls- all the aroma will be gone ( talking about keeping the spices fresh) and all of them in a row will overpower the nose anyway. The writer needed to find a new food advisor for the show.

But then I am mainly here to see Chris Wu as a male lead. Since I have never seen him get the girl. And the last one he did.... didn't like the drama do skipped it.

@ck1Oz I see what you mean. I used to watch mellow romantic drama, but it somehow changed as I live in Scandinavia where dramas here tends to be "extreme" compared to Asian drama. So I have no problem with the kiss since she kind of responded back. I just see it as a way for him to show how desperate he is....

This drama will have 18 ep. and they finished the filming at the end of April. I personally this it's the perfect length for this kind of drama. I have seen too many where they just kept extending and dragging the plot, not even the best actors can save the drama when the script is just garbage. This is why I tends to watch movies and dramas with Chris Wu. He has been really good at picking the right project that he can challenge himself and the projects are everything from dark psychological drama to typical daily drama for ajummas. Even his first drama, Autumn's Concerto/Next stop, happiness (I think that the drama you're referring) is still one of my all time favourite drama. 

Other from Chris Wu, I know that the female lead had a huge success with a time traveling drama from last year. She has done a good job so far so it'll be interesting how far the career can go... 

I don't know what I should say about this episode... 

Spoiler

What made the biggest impact is how selfish Ting En mother is. I get that every parents wants the best for their children, but she didn't see how much Ting En suffer the whole time. From that day his mother married to this rich family, Ting En struggle to be the good child while being corned. The pain got worse when her sister died. The death should be the alarm for her mother that what Ting En and his sister doesn't need and want to be a part of this rivalry. 

Fenqing was so unlucky with the timing (why is it always like this-.-). It was hard to see her cry like this, and not to mention for Ah Wei. Poor kid, to see her cry over another man must hurt. 

And the whole situation with the people from night market coming to help is kinda cute, but so strange. Maybe that part is way too unrealistic<_<

Translation of the preview: 

Ting Ens mother: Today, I'll announce La Mures director, Huo Ting En, will engage. Let me introduce you to his fiancée. She is..

Ting En: Wei Fenqing

OMG! We are talking about engagement already... The announcement must be right after the very important dinner, so a lot of things happen in just one day. And actually, the longer preview after ep 10 shows Ru Xi cries after the announcement, Ting En is thinking about his own future, Ting Ens mother totally oppose Fenqing as Ting Ens fiancée and Ting En during the discussion. Get ready for drama!

Archived