[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Nothing Gold Can Stay 那年花开月正圆

sugarplum892

On 10/18/2017 at 11:38 PM, sshu1yah said:
  Hide contents

I don't think I can continue on the drama after WP is gone 

They're the true OTP in my heart T^T 

I think I will always be stuck on the beautiful story of them two... from how the met, to how he saved her, to how they slowly interact with one another, with how WP changes ZY into a better person while ZY adds spark to his life with her unconventional ways and innocence. UGH it's so cruel that their time with one another got cut so fast. They just love each other so much. 

I don't care of Chen Xiao is actually the main lead okay. I WANT MY SHAO DONG JIA TO STAY ALIVE Q____Q

SOBS.

Once you decide to watch Chinese drama you have to steel your heart of what may come, more especially when its historical drama. However the best part you may not know what they have in store for the audience. It migjt have a happy ending, it might not & it can also be something in between. As for this drama since its based on a real life first richest business woman in China during that era, we should already know the focus of the story is not abt her love life but the making of her into becoming a genius business woman. The love that comes to her are reasons to make her stronger.

Spoiler

However no doubt the love between Zhao Ying & Wu Pin is so beautiful that I cried my heart out when he died, even fully aware he's gonna die eventually to make a widow out of Zhao Ying but I didnt expect it was so soon. I thought I'm just gonna give up on the drama, but out of curiousity I still watch to see what happen to Zhao Ying. Once again I cursed the writer for making ZY lost WP's child...then I just watch becos I was curious, surprisingly even without WP love story on the side, ZY & her entourage are getting interesting by the episode. I love the part when she pretend as a princess to investigate abt some fake medicine, and I stil LOL whenever I watch the scene where she hit herself with a stick.

My point is the story has humor & advanture beside tragedy.

Also SXY is not a less interesting character. At first I was annoyed with him, and like ZY, I too thought there's no way I'm gonna like him & jump ship. Once again the writer & storyline proof me wrong. As the story moves along, we see the reckless, spoilt, selfish & irresponsible SXY slowly changing into hardwarking, shrewd & honorable person. Of cos he is still the total contrast of WP yet he has his own charms. So we can see when ZY falls for him its not becos he's a stereotype of WP nor was has the same charisma or vibe as WP. Although both have the same values, they are very different like night & day. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/19/2017 at 11:01 AM, omiki said:

The boy is the grandson of 4th Uncle. As ZY does not have any children, the Wu family were concerned that no one would inherit the business of the East Wing. ZY adopted him and gave him the name that she had discussed with WP before he died.

SXY sacrificed himself when the Son (forgot his name) of second Uncle tried to assasinate Empress Dowager Ci Xi. If he were caught, the whole Wu family would be implicated and all would be executed, including ZY.

If they gonna make ZY has a son eventually why the he11 did they kill her baby in the first place? My bet is since its based on true life, yet they made some changes to the story to make it more fun & interesting, like in real ZY came from a wealthy & influential family not a street wise, escape maid, also there's no SXY & Shen family on real life ZY's life but they put him as her 2nd love of her life. If she has WP's child there's no way she will look at another man, also SXY would never has a chance with her...its pity because sinc they kill WP's child, at least she cud have her own & SXY's son...since SXY sacrifice his life for the whole Wu's clan, at least his own son lives as a Wu.

DANG IT:angry: I really, really, REALLY want to watch this so badly but no subs....yet. WHY!??!:tears::crazy:

I love Sun Li from her previous work in The Legend of Mi Yue and I like what I see from the sneak peeks that's been playin' on my satellite tv though to watch it in its entirety I need to fork out additional $ just to watch pfft:rolleyes: Peter Ho is another Taiwanese actor crossing over to China for better opportunities, it'd be interesting to see how he fares. As for Chen Xiao, I've only watched him in Love, Life & Lie. He looks more mature here. 

On 10/22/2017 at 3:19 AM, lxands said:

Once you decide to watch Chinese drama you have to steel your heart of what may come, more especially when its historical drama. However the best part you may not know what they have in store for the audience. It migjt have a happy ending, it might not & it can also be something in between. As for this drama since its based on a real life first richest business woman in China during that era, we should already know the focus of the story is not abt her love life but the making of her into becoming a genius business woman. The love that comes to her are reasons to make her stronger.

Reveal hidden contents

However no doubt the love between Zhao Ying & Wu Pin is so beautiful that I cried my heart out when he died, even fully aware he's gonna die eventually to make a widow out of Zhao Ying but I didnt expect it was so soon. I thought I'm just gonna give up on the drama, but out of curiousity I still watch to see what happen to Zhao Ying. Once again I cursed the writer for making ZY lost WP's child...then I just watch becos I was curious, surprisingly even without WP love story on the side, ZY & her entourage are getting interesting by the episode. I love the part when she pretend as a princess to investigate abt some fake medicine, and I stil LOL whenever I watch the scene where she hit herself with a stick.

My point is the story has humor & advanture beside tragedy.

Also SXY is not a less interesting character. At first I was annoyed with him, and like ZY, I too thought there's no way I'm gonna like him & jump ship. Once again the writer & storyline proof me wrong. As the story moves along, we see the reckless, spoilt, selfish & irresponsible SXY slowly changing into hardwarking, shrewd & honorable person. Of cos he is still the total contrast of WP yet he has his own charms. So we can see when ZY falls for him its not becos he's a stereotype of WP nor was has the same charisma or vibe as WP. Although both have the same values, they are very different like night & day. 

Lol I said that but ofc I couldn't resist and watched the rest of the episodes.

That sadistic side of me wants to gloat whenever Zhou Ying has WP flashbacks :)  (and pst btw, it's Zhou Ying xD Not Zhao Ying, hehe)

I just finished the drama. Sun Li has delivered yet another memorable performance as Zhou Ying. Several scenes were really heartwrenching to watch but it was fun to watch how she gets over circumstances.

Now I'm curious about the real figure it was based on. Does anyone have more historical facts about the real Zhou Ying? Does anyone have free time and could help me translate the on-screen text at the end of the final episode?

This is just a rough translation :

ZY was born in 1869 in San Yuan, Shan Xi, to a family of high stature and position in society. From young, she displayed qualities of good morals and talent, and was well educated. At the age of 17, she married into the Wu family of Jin Yang, and was considered a perfect match with her Husband, WP.

Unfortunately, her Husband and Father in law passed away one after another, and while her adopted Son, Huai Sian, was still young, she took on the task of shouldering the heavy burden of Wu family’s business alone.

Based on the principles of compassion and loyalty, honesty and trust, ZY hired people of good caliber to assist her, and exercised diplomacy in dealing with problems. Eventually, ZY expanded Wu family East Wing’s Shi Yi Tang into an enormous business conglomerate. ZY did many good deeds during her entire life, like donated to schools, built Temples, repaired bridges, built ships, helped the poor and people affected by natural disasters. 

ZY passed away in 1908 at the young age of 40. She was conferred the title of “Lady of the First Class”. Until today, the stories of how she built up the business, and her compassion in helping people, are still being widely spread among the people. As is the significance of her creativity in managing the business, and her spirit of maintaining honesty and trust in business dealings.

• 8 months later...

English subtitles available!

Youtube:
Episode 1: https://youtu.be/IdV4uLWOzpg
Episode 2: https://youtu.be/5QmX3Q95XVE
Episodes 3-74:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn7ueQx7cc2yfRdL8B_t36Xti4n4t4p8r

Amazon Prime Video (all episodes):
https://www.amazon.com/1/dp/B07BMD5HSF

• 11 months later...

Archived