[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Nothing Gold Can Stay 那年花开月正圆

sugarplum892

On 06/09/2017 at 1:15 PM, omiki said:

My favourite part in Episode 11 when ZY divulges that she overheard the conversation between HYM and WP. WP asked if she heard his reply to HYM in which he said he is sorry, not for having not married HYM, but sorry that he was happy when he awoke from his coma to hear that he had married ZY instead :wub: 

So sad that WP will

Hide contents

Die soon. Such a gentleman, smart yet humble, kind and compassionate.  :wacko: feel like abandoning this drama after he disappears from the drama ... 

Spoiler

WP is such a great guy. He will be remembered til the end. For now, i cant imagine how ZY can end up with CX, even if he transformed.

Episode 11 is so touching. 

Omg i love WP n ZY.  Their chemistry is so so good. Peter Ho did a really great job. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 hours ago, cheeriekwan said:

Episode 11 is so touching. 

Omg i love WP n ZY.  Their chemistry is so so good. Peter Ho did a really great job. 

Agree! Absolutely love their chemistry. I have only seen Peter Ho in one other drama, a very old one - the Young Warriors. I think he did a brilliant job here, very convincing. Love Wu Ping! I like the part when Zhou Ying cheekily kissed Wu Ping on the cheek in the courthouse to the 'annoyance' of the officer (Ep 12). It was so cute! Am very sad that Wu Ping had to die so early in the drama, wished he could be around for a few more episodes before he got killed. I looked forward to Zhou Ying's & Wu Ping's scenes together. 

The char Zhou Ying is a real person. I read that she was famous as a businesswoman in the late Qing Dynasty period. Lived in Shaanxi.

There are some slight differences btw drama and history.

Spoiler

Zhou Ying was born in ok family, not as poor as in drama. She married Wu Ping for 3 yrs b4 he passed away, not as short as in drama. 

And there's no Shen Xingyi, secret admirer etc. That char was only in the drama.

She helped to make Wu family business prosper but with some "downs" including being jailed. She was well-known for being the richest in Shaanxi, her honesty and honor in doing business, her charitable deeds to the poor and also donations to the court. Cixi Empress even honored her with a title (just a name, not real duke/lord type).

But her ending abit sad. WIth no child, as a widow, she wasn't buried in the wu family grounds but elsewhere. 

Also read a descendant of that Wu family praised Sun Li's portrayal of her ancestor.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/周莹/19855463

About Peter Ho, Sun Li.....and singer Rain.

Spoiler

Sun Li and Peter Ho. Think this is the 3rd time they acted together. The 1st 2 times were more than 10 yrs ago.

Jade Kuanyin (2003, her 1st leading role). Peter Ho (right, poster)

0H9zVKYXUU

Then in 2004, 一米阳光 or One Metre Sunlight.

0H9zVKjyhT

U may know Sun Li from the 2011 Empresses in the Palace/Zhen Huan Zhuan....but do u know she dance with Rain in 2006? It was a chinese song to promote Pantech handphone in China. Sun Li acted as his fan...she became blind in an accident....then Rain taught her how to dance and perform together. 

4 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

The char Zhou Ying is a real person. I read that she was famous as a businesswoman in the late Qing Dynasty period. Lived in Shaanxi.

There are some slight differences btw drama and history.

Reveal hidden contents

Zhou Ying was born in ok family, not as poor as in drama. She married Wu Ping for 3 yrs b4 he passed away, not as short as in drama. 

And there's no Shen Xingyi, secret admirer etc. That char was only in the drama.

She helped to make Wu family business prosper but with some "downs" including being jailed. She was well-known for being the richest in Shaanxi, her honesty and honor in doing business, her charitable deeds to the poor and also donations to the court. Cixi Empress even honored her with a title (just a name, not real duke/lord type).

But her ending abit sad. WIth no child, as a widow, she wasn't buried in the wu family grounds but elsewhere. 

Also read a descendant of that Wu family praised Sun Li's portrayal of her ancestor.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/周莹/19855463

Hope the drama ending wont be as sad since they already twisted the story.

Spoiler

@Cedric OngWonder why is she not buried as part of Wu family since there is no 2nd relationship. Any idea?

@serendipity1974 Saw PH in Young Warriors and a movie, Swordmaster. He was not the leading man but cant deny his presence at all. On both occasions he overshadowed the leads at times. He always impressed me with his great acting skill. I know i will miss him soon...am up to episode 15 now.  :bawling:

11 hours ago, cheeriekwan said:

Spoiler

Remember read that she got a daughter but died as a baby or young child. Think bcos she didnt leave a (living) child for the family....during that conservative period in china...she cant be buried in their family grave land. 

Further spoiler...the real person married at 16yo and died at 42yo. I think if the actual Wu family descendants are reported to have approved of this drama...then some parts won't change too much from history.

I came across this drama by accident while searching for Seigo Fog....

Best thing that ever happen to me after zombie mood from watching The Kings Women and cant find anything on Seigo Fog.  Loving the chemistry between Sun Li and Peter Ho...  I can't believe that i watched the whole 22 + ep without eng sub and had to guess the body language.

Peter did a awesome job to portray Wu Ping and i fell in love with him. I can't believe they cut him short. I was super excited that he is finally back to the time period era. I love how he is so gentle and his eyes show so much love for ZY. 

CX/SX is such a spoiled brat. But i will have to wait and see how he grow and become mature before i can ship him with ZY.  SX has competition because ZY classmate also liked her...

Until next time everyone... I'm look forward to reading everyone comments and POV's. 

The great thing about this drama is that despite the length, there are going to be numerous sad moments and frustrating events falling upon the female lead, they get resolved pretty quickly within 1-2 episodes.  Nothing has been dragged out so far.  I am also really appreciating the character development of the male lead and how this will change his relationship with the female lead.  All in all, it's definitely a great drama in the making.  Too bad neither Viki or Dramafever have picked this up to subtitle.  

I, fortunately, am able to watch it with Vietnamese subtitles.  If anyone have questions let me know so I may be able to explain it further of you.  

Just started watching this drama,i didn't have it on my radar but seen that it was so well received while aired that it really made me watch it and so far so good i love it,that is just on body language and reading here and there because not knowing the language i can't actually fully enjoy as i see this wonderful story...It's really sad that neither Viki nor DF took this wonderful project,i know they don't have pretty faces(as idol standards etc) and such to attract the big majority of the viewers who would watch it based on star name and looks but still hope even if late they will consider it,maybe if we continue to send them requests maybe they will do it...

Thanks a lot guys for the little insights about the real person behind this story and the details about the plot,u guys are sooo lucky to be able to understand it...Sad such a great show is left like this...

2 hours ago, blueclueblue said:

While I am happy that Myolie's character has more screen time but I don't like that she's there to cause more harm to ZY and to be used by Du lao ban. 

A lot of people are criticising her for being too old to play this character. She's got a typical 'poor thing' kind of face which nails the 'educated, well brought up rich family's Daughter fallen to bad circumstances ' look. Both her character and Du are hateful but I must say that the actor and actress who play them make them so believable that people just hate them.

36837262250_6a995189fe_z.jpg

I'm quite enamoured with Magistrate Zhao. He's both learned and good in martial arts, and genuinely upright. I love his interactions with ZY - mixture of exasperation and admiration.

@omiki  I saw the criticism about Myolie's look on douban; I personally think that the custom and hair style that make her look older.  They had her wear darker color custom and a younger type of hairs.   I was hoping that her character would be a little different than what’s portrayed currently.  I meant she’s an educated person and yet she’s so narrow minded which is why she’s being used.  Oh well.

Magistrate Zhao frustration with ZY about proper etiquette are gold.   He comes to a point where he understands where she coming from and actually helping her out whereas CX/SXY is only worry about competing with her.  While his character provide some comedic moments but he’s still such a brat

Guys i wonder if u can help me with some insights....After Wu Ping died his Dad was imprisoned,what were his crimes?Also there is a scene in the recent episodes were ZY remembers her Dad talking something about a teacup she brought with her and showed Wu Ping previously drinking that poision tea,showing that her Dad actually took the tea and got rid of it,what was the twist to it?What were they talking...Also what was the contribution of the Rich Girl's Dad in Wu Ping's Death and all that...All of them did it to get rid of him and take control of his fortune and business or is something more?

6 hours ago, Miky88 said:

Guys i wonder if u can help me with some insights....After Wu Ping died his Dad was imprisoned,what were his crimes?Also there is a scene in the recent episodes were ZY remembers her Dad talking something about a teacup she brought with her and showed Wu Ping previously drinking that poision tea,showing that her Dad actually took the tea and got rid of it,what was the twist to it?What were they talking...Also what was the contribution of the Rich Girl's Dad in Wu Ping's Death and all that...All of them did it to get rid of him and take control of his fortune and business or is something more?

The rich girl's dad last name is Hu, he lied during trial that it was Wu Pin's dad idea to use the fake ingredient for the healing patch.   Once he released from jail, the Du guy said that if he told anyone about what happened, his daughter will suffer, hence why he committed suicide out of guilt.  As for Wu Pin death, he was poisoned and they all assumed it was done by the 3rd brother wife since it was in the teacup.  The 3rd brother wife did it because they were skimming money from the pawn shop and Wu Pin was investigation it.  Once ZYs dad told her how he stole the cup, she remembered that WP didn't drink the tea.  So they're back to square one to find the culprit.   

18 minutes ago, blueclueblue said:

Hide contents

The rich girl's dad last name is Hu, he lied during trial that it was Wu Pin's dad idea to use the fake ingredient for the healing patch.   Once he released from jail, the Du guy said that if he told anyone about what happened, his daughter will suffer, hence why he committed suicide out of guilt.  As for Wu Pin death, he was poisoned and they all assumed it was done by the 3rd brother wife since it was in the teacup.  The 3rd brother wife did it because they were skimming money from the pawn shop and Wu Pin was investigation it.  Once ZYs dad told her how he stole the cup, she remembered that WP didn't drink the tea.  So they're back to square one to find the culprit.   

Thanks a lot for making light into this stuff, as mentioned i watch it without understand a thing and i can only get that much from body language sadly....So now Du Boss made the rich girl think ZY is responsable for her father's death and he decided to give a hand in helping her take revenge ruining her business...Quite curious who the real killer of Wu Ping is...

Do u know what were Shen Xing Yi and his Dad talking in the courtyard after Du Boss left his house in ep 31,it's at the very beginning like min 5 or so?

8 hours ago, Miky88 said:
  Hide contents

...Quite curious who the real killer of Wu Ping is...

There were 3 theories about this ...

Spoiler

1. When WP was having a meal with Du, he noticed the unusual shape of the sword Du's servant was holding. Du was afraid that WP would realise that it was his servant that killed the eldest Shen Son, so he asked his servant to 'warm the wine' in other words, poison it.

2. WP's 3rd aunt and Manager Sun who wanted to stop WP from checking the books of the pawn shop, asked her Nephew, WP's servant to poison the tea. But as it was shown recently, WP actually did not drink the tea.

3. HYM knew that ZY liked to eat that prune snack so she had someone poison the snack and sell it instead of the usual old man. Unfortunately, ZY did not eat it as she had morning sickness and fed it to WP instead.

So now, it remains either 1 or 3, or both. I'm inclined to think that it is 3 that caused immediate death. 1 is supposed to be a slower death, as shown by the experiment that Du did on the bird, but either way, poor WP was destined to die :(

37065329496_a675beea6d_z.jpg

Beautiful moment frozen in time for SXY.

While I like Myolie Wu but I've to forward her scenes, I don't like her character at all.  And I’m not crazy about the reverse harem that the series in undertaking.   

I also don’t like the recent development between OTP.  They created all of this moment for them and even have SXY confessed to ZY. I feel like they’re cheapen ZY love for WP by making it look like she has feeling for SXY and then in the next moment having someone reminded her that SXY may have something to do with WP’s death .  If ZY only think of SXY as friend then let ZY stand firm on that ground and brushed off his confession like always.  Why do script writer always make the female character waver when she's being confessed by someone that she think as a friend but never to a male character. 

Archived