[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, njoac said:

Hello fellow soompiers. I've been lurking around so many threads at soompi and this drama finally manage to make me go out of lurking and leave my thought on the drama. Thank you to other posters for translating and also leaving insight for this drama. It has been wonderful reading so many comments and debating ideas in this thread. Nirvana in Fire 2 when it was first announced I was very excited about it regardless who the actors that might be cast simply cuz I have high regard towards the production and director alone. Nothing can go wrong under the hand of this combo in terms of directing and producing since I have watch most of their drama and always fascinate with the world that they build as well as little details that they seem to be very particular about. 

Watching last night episode with only half understanding of all the dialogue left me mostly bitterly satisfied.

Reveal hidden contents

The showdown between Xiao PingJing and Xiao Yuanqi has very predictable outcome. There is no way that a traitor to its nation wont be dead the most worst death. What Pingjing said definitely true as to why Yuanqi lost the battle. Yuanqi kind a see himself as a victim with things that happened to him and choose an easy way to cope with it. Perhaps it is also part of his character that's been suppressed for so long. I believed Yuanqi is a very ambitious person like his father but because of his father crime he was never given a chance to make big achievement as part of royal family. His mother way of upbringing also did not help in the long run because when he was exposed with all hard truth of his family wrong doing his way of thinking start to get twisted as his way to cope with such big changes. Part of his action I blame on his mother upbringing and part of it is simply his choice. Whats been ingrain by his mother teaching always contradict with what his heart desired. So when his mother died those teaching crumble and his desire arise. Yuanqi also gets teaching by Xiao Tingsheng (which in some way make him question his action before he went south) despite that when he sees the demise of Changlin his ambitions to gain power become more apparent. He is such a sad character that scream the need of saving since he himself did not have strong foundation in character to make him stay good and think rationally as to what is right and wrong and when to let go of the wrong.

Xiao Pingjing must be sad when he stab Yuanqi because of all the wrong that Yuanqi do they are cousin and comrade at one point. His compassion toward Yuanqi are shown by his action to detain Yuanqi to await for trial, but living in the era where traitor is deem to death by dismemberment the way he looked at the emperor upon his order speak volume as to what kind of person he is. His solemn face watching the punishment perhaps make him think how is it all went wrong and what he could do earlier to prevent all of it from happening.

When Pingjing choose to leave capital part of me feel sad because he is someone with intelligence and integrity that can surely help the emperor to become a wise ruler. It is such a waste of talent to just wondered around picking herbs. This is where I bitterly have to agree with his choice. His whole family has done their job in helping generations of emperor to protect the country and despite all that they still become the target within the government. Like his conversation with general Yue someone who earlier put hope on Changlin Wang to assist the government in the future, general Yue understand the reason Pingjing still choose to leave at the end. Pingjing not only get the whole trust from the emperor also not to mention immense favor that awaits him if he choose to be by the emperor side. But it will all just be a repeat to what his father has gone through because as someone who can rally great number of army at such short notice will always be viewed as threat by others especially in court. I think Pingjing refusing to be in court as in his way helping the emperor to not be threaten by its own minister in the future. Isn't this what Mei Changsu did after he help Jingyan to the throne? The emperor may understand his intention but others will always see him as threat to the emperor.

I think the real reason when Jingyan build Changlin Army as to honor the character and and value that's been left by Mei Changsu/Lin Shu. Therefore when it is given to Tingsheng I see it as Jingyan way to give Tingsheng what he's been robed and also Tingsheng is the most compatible to uphold the meaning of Changlin as the only (presumely) disciple of Mei Changsu. Even after the demise of Changlin, what's been ingrain by Tingsheng and Pingzhang in the army are hold dearly by its generals and soldiers that they are first and foremost the subject to the emperor and will aide the emperor when needed. Changlin Wang is just a position that was bestowed upon but it never became a position that should be use to threaten the emperor and wrecked the stability of the country. Pingjing owes nothing anymore as his father already lift him from burden of Changlin and instruct him to put responsibility first to his sister in law and nephew. Tingsheng is first a father therefore his biggest wish before his death is to see his family safe and have many descendants to continue the family line. Having lost one child at battlefield Tingsheng would not wish the same fate to happen to his other child or descendents. So Pingjing abiding by his father wish is understandable and it is not like he wont return at all. He said so to the emperor that time to time he will be at service upon emperor request. Give the man a break to have his happiness and build his own family. I always believe that at the end Pingjing will always return but now he deserve along break.

The ending surely feels a bit rush but it also leave room for any sequel to come. I will miss this drama for a long time more than its predecessor. I hope when the book is release some kind soul would translate it for us non chinese speaker to have more in depth with the character and the world of Lang Ya Bang 2.

I can see what your saying about possible set up for S3 but it's still under whelming considering rest was so good. 

overall show was like a 9/10 but that ending was like a 8/10 for me. 

Im glad i watched the show though , will also enjoy following LHR acting career start to take off . He will be staring in Eagle Eye which will be big. 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some trivia : 20yo (b 10oct 1997) Liu Haoran 刘昊然 (also known as Turbo Liu....and his birth name actually is Liu Yuan 刘源) is born in Pingdingshan (city), Henan (province), China. That city's nickname is Eagle city...haha....link to his next drama 九州缥缈录 Novoland: Eagle Flag (flag is the title i came across, not Eye). Wiki wrote out in 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Haoran

He acted in the recent Demon Cat movie. Then the next movie is Detective Chinatown 2 (唐人街探案2), a comedy debut next fri. Think set in New York. And hahaha...

Spoiler

6D34C9477436EAB0C6ED24FD77A2DB95C03166A0

Some BTS (Behind the scene). Sorry no sub. Can see 20yo Liu is still a kid at heart, abit naughty eg locking his "partner"'s phone or teasing her. And sometimes he doesn't know how to place his hands on her. The onscreen comments can be switched off by 4th bottom-right button.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av19133370/

Too windy...

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av19205833/

Just now, Cedric Ong said:

Just some trivia : 20yo (b 10oct 1997) Liu Haoran 刘昊然(also knowna as Turbo Liu....and his born name actually is Liu Yuan 刘源) is born in Pingdingshan (city), Henan (province), China. That city's nickname is Eagle city...haha....link to his next drama 九州缥缈录 Novoland: Eagle Flag (flag is the title i came across, not Eye). Wiki put out in 2019.

He acted in the recent Demon Cat movie. Then the next movie is Detective Chinatown 2 (唐人街探案2), a comedy debut next fri. Think set in New York. And hahaha...

Reveal hidden contents

Some BTS (Behind the scene). Sorry no sub. Can see 20yo Liu is still a kid at heart, abit naughty eg locking his "partner"'s phone or teasing her. And sometimes he doesn't know how to place his hands on her. The onscreen comments can be switched off by 4th bottom-right button.

Too windy...

wtf really that is crazy coincidence ;p 

Hello everyone, usually I am a silent reader in this thread, but I want to say thank you to everyone who translate the prev, conversation, etc.. and  give us a lot of information.

last night, i watched final scane with tears in my eyes although i cant understand anything.. i fully agree with @njoac. That is basically me when i thought about the ending. When i watched ep 43 with eng sub, especially the scane where PJ propose to LX and when they are together with linchen,  i understand pingjing chooise in the end. This writer and production team as @liddi has said from beginning until the end has kept true its essence and never faltering.. bravo!! i will miss this drama ~~

Spoiler

IMO, this image of xiao pingjing is the most suitable for him..

pj%20s.jpg

Pingjing adorable and silly smile is back omg.. i miss this old pingjing so bad.. super happy for him and everyone in this drama.. the only complaint i have is where is XX and ce-er lol but still i love the ending.. be with pingjing in jinling or travelling around the world as long as he is happy.

hug.gif

anyway, there isnt this scane in the drama... whyyyyyy T^T.. i think this is in ep 38 before linxi going to travel.. i hope the rumour about director cut is true.. XD

On 2/3/2018 at 6:08 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Do you know if the Viki subbers have gone back to edit and correct some of those contradictory honorifics/titles translations? Er gong zi should most definitely be translated as second young master.

@40somethingahjumma I am the one who had said about the translations only to explain my confusion. I think because I stalk the episode for translations and when I see 95 to 100% I start viewing and it maybe that I am reading fresh subs and not fully edited yet. I understand the process of subtitling is complicated. Anyway, thanks to the many viewers on the thread for their correction, explanations and translations. 

Spoiler

Something im still annoyed with even now ,his brother died for him and then PJ leaves to pick plants? 

7 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Just some trivia : 20yo (b 10oct 1997) Liu Haoran 刘昊然 (also known as Turbo Liu....and his birth name actually is Liu Yuan 刘源) is born in Pingdingshan (city), Henan (province), China. That city's nickname is Eagle city...haha....link to his next drama 九州缥缈录 Novoland: Eagle Flag (flag is the title i came across, not Eye). Wiki wrote out in 2019.

Reveal hidden contents

Too windy...

omg that new movie looks funny as hell looking forward to that. 

@njoac

Spoiler

Well, when you phrase it like that, it is indeed make the ending more bearable to me. Actually I am fine with PJ leaving. I have said in one of my post, unless Yuanshi is sure to be able to protect PJ, it is better for him to leave. And the court ministers are a bunch of dumb ungrateful lot anyway. Right now they are hailing PJ as their savior, but I am sure that they will quick to forget this and become the ungrateful lot once again who can only envy the favor granted to Chang Lin family.

What I hate from the ending is the manner of PJ leaving. If he is leaving by his own wish; because he knows that sooner or later the court will grate his ears, then okay. I will take that. I think PJ also already has it enough dealing with politic ever since his court interrogation. The shows should have shown him in a "Screw you" moment with style, but perhaps time constraint ...... But I expect the government will express their thanks at least. PJ is leaving quietly as if he is a sinner. The Chang Lin manor looks deserted as ever, and it so sad seeing him close the manor's door by himself. Sigh .....

Moreover, I am sure that LX is the true reason that he is leaving. This is one thing that annoys me the most. LX is one problem left unfinished in this drama. Traveling the world, fine. Accompany LX picking herbs, okay fine. But, what if someday Liang is in danger again and PJ is needed? Will LX pull her "choose me or else" card again? And then what? Until his death, PJ would be always the Chang Lin Prince. The drama hasn't showed that LX is in peace with that. All LX wants is PJ the wanderer, but she hasn't accept PJ the Chang Lin Prince. And when they have a son, that son will inherit the title whether she likes it or not.

I understand that Chang Lin is more than a Prince title or an army name. But since there is Chang Lin Prince and Chang Lin army, people will forever connect the two of them. Chang Lin family has huge responsibility to make sure that every descendant uphold high moral value that can be looked up to.

I will have peace with the ending if only they let us see that LX realizes that she loves the whole PJ, including PJ the Chang Lin Prince and that means she has to accept that she should share her husband with the world from time to time.

I will hold myself from further commenting about Yuanshi and Yuanqi until I watch the subbed version.

Thoughts on episode 43 & 44:

Just watched the subbed episodes. The lack of PJ is very glaring. Episode 43 with PJ proposal, a happy episode. PJ is so cute when he realizes that his long lost fiancee is in front of him:D.

Since XBS died in episode 44, I shall post my final thought of this character here:

I see him as an unwise person. He spent years thinking Chang Lin as a fearsome sword. In his misguided mind, he always thinking that the sword will someday pointed on the throne. I stand in my opinion that XBS subconsciously lust after power like the one Chang Lin possess. I say this because I think his action undermining Chang Lin army war expedition (in early episodes and in episodes 34) were far too vicious and without thinking the repercussion to the country and the people living at the border. Those were not an act of someone loves the country and its people. He might only think about the monarch, but the one that he always thought when doing all those act was not the late emperor. It was the then crown prince, Yuanshi, whom was his own nephew. In early episodes (sinking ship arc), he afraid that the late emperor would not live long which in turn would make Yuanshi ascended to the throne in young age thus he was afraid that Chang Lin would revolt against the young emperor. And then in episode 34, again he was afraid that Chang Lin reputation in court would be increased. Even though power check and balance is important, what he did make one heart to be cold. It makes people afraid of striving to their best, for fear that they would be ostracized like Chang Lin family if they are too successful.

All he saw was a fearsome sword. But he never thought that the very same sword was also the greatest shield that the young emperor could have ever asked for. The late emperor never feared Chang Lin because he trusted his brother and also he knew that he was the wielder of this Chang Lin sword and Chang Lin was also his most trusted shield. XBS never saw this. Instead of teaching his young nephew to wield this fearsome weapon with wisdom, he chose to break the sword altogether. And by breaking Chang Lin, he unknowingly had tore down the greatest shield protecting the young emperor with his own hands.

I watched with distaste the scene when XBS praised PJ great talent when he read PJ letter. He knew and still deliberately deprived his country of such great talent because of his unfounded fear about the future. In a way, he was the same as Madam Laiyang in instilling inferiority complex. XBS (together with the stupid empress dowager) "assured" Yuanshi that he could not control Chang Lin. He could not wield Chang Lin. Yuanshi was indeed could not wield Chang Lin at that time. But it was a "not yet" not a certain fact forever. Until that time come, Chang Lin was waiting patiently. It was XBS and the empress dowager that feel impatient. Perhaps they were the ones that belittle Yuanshi the most.

People often realize what they have when they already lost it. XBS realizes the importance of Chang Lin when he is faced with the fact that he is practically alone in facing Yuanqi. I don't think he would be this worried and afraid facing Yuanqi if Chang Lin family is still up and about in the capital. Or we can say that Yuanqi problem would never existed if there is still Chang Lin in the capital.

XBS death is very pitiful. All his ambition, all his effort, come to naught. What I regret is that he will never have a chance to apologize to PJ for all his wrongdoing.

I have only ever bought three novels out of love for their respective dramas thus far - 步步惊心 Bu Bu Jing Xin, 师任堂:光的日记 the C-translation of Saimdang:Light's Diary, and now 琅琊榜之风起长林 Nirvana in Fire:The Wind Rises in Changlin. It is certainly a testament to the brilliance of this drama that it never faltered for me, but remained consistent all the way to the end and I love how all the loose ends are tied together in this finale, giving me a conclusion that is bittersweet, yet so right, faithful to the essence of the drama - loyalty, brotherhood, never held back nor defined by bloodline - the true spirit of Changlin.

Spoiler

A prevalent theme that has carried throughout the drama is the importance or rather, the secondary importance of bloodline in shaping one's identity. We first see this with Xiao Tingsheng who raised Pingzhang as his own, and naming him the heir instead of his own flesh and blood. We see it again with Pingzhang, who was never defined by the kind of person his own father was, but becoming his own man instead - honourable, wise, loyal, through the guidance of his adopted father. This is iterated once more in Pingjing's counsel to Yuanshi as the latter mourns for his mother while blaming himself and fearing how he too could perhaps turn out like her because her blood flowed in his veins. Pingjing's words of wisdom drive to the heart of the matter, reminding the young king that far less than his heritage, it is his own choice that determines the kind of man and king he would become:

YS: How could Imperial Mother have done that?
PJ: Your Majesty had no idea, so the blame cannot be placed on you.
YS: Had no idea? Can I really say I was blameless just because I did not know? Imperial Mother, Uncle - every decision they made, every command given, every word that was said - every single one was because of me!
PJ: Some things, particularly such as these, cannot be easily forgotten. However, what good does self-recrimination do? What Your Majesty should do now is to do your best to fix it.
YS: I am afraid that what General Di Ming said is true. After all, a part of my bloodline is from my mother. She is...
PJ: Your Majesty! 
[turns to face Yuanshi]
PJ: Do you know who Brother Pingzhang's birth father was? 
[Yuanshi stares at him uncomprehendingly]
PJ: (smiles) I guess you do not know. Then let's talk about someone you know. The old Prince of Laiyang had the same parentage as the late King, and both of them were personally taught by King Wujing to adulthood. Were they the same? Who Your Majesty becomes in the future only depends on the kind of person you wish to become from this day forth.
[Yuanshi breaks down and cries in grief as Pingjing comforts him]

In the end, Yuanshi's decree reflects his revelation of what Pingjing was trying to impart to him from what his own brother and father had taught him. Just as he too respects Pingjing's wishes to leave, Yuanshi continues to honour the name of Changlin and what the name stands for - the spirit of righteousness, loyalty and brotherhood which transcends a person, a family:

PJ: Brother Xun, General Yue, let us part ways here.
FZ: Pingjing, did you know that His Majesty proclaimed a decree yesterday? His Majesty gave the order that no matter who the commander-in-chief is in future, the Liang army of the Northern frontier will always be called Changlin. 
PJ: Actually the identity and spirit of Changlin has always been to resist the threats at the frontier, protect the country and its people. It is not dependent on who the commander-in-chief is. However, I am truly gratified to know that His Majesty gave such a decree even after I took my leave of him.
FZ: Take care, and may we meet again.
PJ: No matter where, no matter how far, we will surely meet again.

There has been concern over Pingjing leaving Yuanshi to fend for himself at his tender age. However, I believe that the Yuanshi leading to and after the staged coup, is no longer the inexperienced child who was first thrust on the throne, and Pingjing recognises it as well. It is evident from the preemptive steps the young king took at the first signs of crisis, the way he faced off the rebels, his unfaltering stance in the face of Yuanqi's instigation; the pledge to recapture the three lost provinces from Donghai; and the steely order he gave, countermanding Pingjing's, to have Yuanqi put to death. Although he struggled with self-doubts, particularly after realising the atrocities that were done for him, he has grown and matured, and with his aspiration and resolve to be a good king, his father and uncle as his role models, there is hope for the monarchy of Liang. 

We see too that while Changlin Manor remains unrestored, Pingjing has made the necessary provisions and leaves the country in loyal, capable hands that would serve the king in the same capacity that his family did. The gaping hole once left by the Xiao family is now filled by men who uphold the same Changlin ideals and principles - Feizhan has returned as Grand Commander of the imperial army; General Yue protecting the frontiers of the nation; Dong Qing reassigned to the capital. Yuanqi's rebellion served to winnow out the traitorous ministers, and the remaining ministers whom General Di spared are the core whose loyalty to the king has been proven. And the spirit of Changlin lives on, immortalised in the future generation of armies protecting the Northern frontier.

PJ: The reestablishment of Yulin will temporarily be handled by Grand Commander Xun, assisted by the Military Department. It won't be long before everything is settled. As for Donghai, I wish to recommend General Yue Yingchuan to lead the campaign to recapture the lost provinces. I ask for Your Majesty's permission to do so.
YS: I also believe that General Yue would be able to accomplish it. 
PJ: (kneels) I have one more thing which I really hope Your Majesty would permit.
YS: (standing up) I do not allow it.
PJ: It appears that Your Majesty has guessed what my request is.
[Yuanshi comes down and helps Pingjing up]
YS: I am not a fool. Once I learnt you did not reopen Changlin Manor, but are staying temporarily at your older brother's old accommodations, I already understood that you are unwilling to return to court.
PJ: Your Majesty is so wise. In future, Jinling court will be filled with talented people. I feel that my insignificant abilities is no longer able to assist Your Majesty.
YS: Does the Prince of Changlin feel that you cannot trust me?
PJ: Your Majesty...
YS: What the late king achieved in the past, I too would be able to do the same.
PJ: Should Your Majesty really need me in the future, I would offer my loyalty and dedication, just as always.
YS: Brother Pingjing, no matter where you are in future, do not forget your old friends in Jinling, and write [to us] often.
PJ: I accept your decree.

We begin to understand better Pingjing's perspective from his words at Pingzhang's tomb, an aching testimony to how desperately he has tried to live his life for his brother, and just how much he misses him, even as he knows that he should try to stop filling his brother's shoes and live his own life:

I have almost completed the important work in the capital. I still intend to leave at the right time. Older Brother is now able to see everything clearly from heaven, so perhaps I no longer need to keep telling you. The year you passed away, there was only one thing in my mind, which was to accomplish everything that you had not managed to complete. It was after a long time that I finally understood that one cannot completely live his life for another person. You do not wish to see me like this either. The Old Master often says, "Since the deceased is resting in peace, do not think about him anymore. Missing someone is taking on a burden. If the living cannot let go, the deceased soul cannot rest in peace. If he cannot let go of the cares of the world, how could he ascend to heaven soon?" I know what the Old Master says is true, but some things are really hard to do.

General Yue's insightful analysis into Pingjing's reasons for stepping aside, too hits the nail on the head. Far more than his innate, carefree nature, or even a wish to lead a quiet life with Lin Xi, Pingjing already knows what awaits, if not him, then his descendants, should he choose to remain. Had Pingjing decided to stay, his accomplishment in rallying a formidable army in the face of such odds, and the subsequent influence and royal favour will one day, come back to haunt him and history will once again repeat itself - having to face off the fear and dread that such a powerful family would one day become a threat to the monarchy and country. Xiao Tingsheng understood this far better than anyone else when he freed him from the shackles that Changlin bound him with his final words, not willing that Pingjing, having served his country well, should continue to live his life thus. Now, Pingjing, having responded when his king and country needed him, will step away once again until the next time his service is required, and finally live his life for himself, rather than in the shadow of Changlin, his father or brother. 

GY: Your Highness.
PJ: Didn't we agree to say goodbye at the gates of the capital? Why is General Yue here?
GY: Although I have not known you for long, I just feel like [spending more time in] seeing you off.
PJ: Ever since it was known that I had taken my leave of His Majesty, so many people came to try and convince me [to stay]. General Yue is the only one who did not say anything.
GY: That is probably because I agree with your decision.
PJ: Really?
GY: You raised an army from Lang province to save the king. There were only a mere few provinces on the way, yet with a decommissioned Changlin military tally, you rallied a great army of 100,000 men. What this world fears most is someone with intentions. If you had stayed in the government, you would surely command a high position and immense power. While this may appear to be unimportant at the moment, yet who knows how future generations would view it. 
PJ: Does General Yue think that I am only doing this to avoid being doubted?
GY: From the time you left the capital to observe the mourning period, it is already evident that it isn't that you cannot handle the calculated attacks, but that you are totally fed up with it. Since your aspirations were never here in the first place, stepping back now is surely a good plan.
PJ: General Yue's transparency and honesty is admirable.
GY: To be honest, I am not always so upfront with everyone. 
PJ: (laughs). Good. Then I also have a question for you.
GY: Please ask.
PJ: Someone as intelligent as you would have weighed the benefits and risks even more clearly than anyone else. As such, why did you still dare to report Xiao Yuanqi when no one believed you? Likewise, when His Majesty was in peril, why did you put your life on the line and faced off tens of thousands of rebel soldiers? All of these appear to have very little chance of success.
GY: Perhaps that is because in truth, I am still not intelligent enough.
PJ: (pats him on the shoulder) Being not intelligent [enough] is possibly the most admirable trait you have.

Ultimately, I feel that this is the perfect conclusion for this breathtaking, sweeping saga, charting the rise and fall of Changlin Manor, and the enduring legacy of Changlin that lives on, carried forth not by one family alone, but a brotherhood of men who are united by the same noble, patriotic spirit. We are reminded of what the perfect relationship can be, should be - in a family, between husband and wife, parent and child. We see loyalty tempered with wisdom in the Changlin men - each his own man, from Xiao Tingsheng, to Pingzhang and now Pingjing. The path chosen by one, need not be the path chosen by another, and there is no condemnation, merely acceptance that can only come with the true bonds of love and family. One thing remains consistent in their differences - that they will respond when their country calls, and that, is the true essence of the men of Changlin. And with that, the curtain finally falls on this world and the incredible, memorable characters that have consumed me, and will continue to consume me for a long time to come. I miss them already...

Hu Xianxu who plays Yuanshi posted on Weibo:

要和元时说再见了。感谢所有人的照顾,让元时从一个黄口小儿慢慢长大。第一部古装作品和这么多优秀的前辈合作让我受益匪浅,可惜没有机会能和平章兄长还有小雪姐姐有对手戏。从此天涯路远,愿元时不辜负平旌哥哥的保护,长林风骨永存,大梁依旧美好。
It is time to say goodbye to Yuanshi. Thank you everyone for your care, enabling Yuanshi to slowly grow up from a boy wet behind the ears. I have really benefited from my first historical drama and working with so many accomplished senior [actors]. It is a pity that I did not have any scenes with Older Brother Pingzhang and Sister Xiaoxue. From here on, no matter how far the journey, may Yuanshi live up to Brother Pingjing's protection, may the Changlin strength of character live on forever, and may Great Liang remain just as perfect.

5f9020cdly1fo6oz7fws6j20z30wy4qp.jpg5f9020cdly1fo6ozptdknj23vc2kw4qt.jpg

On a lighter note... the latest BTS features the rejects of the rebel Yulin army - PD Kong Sheng, etiquette coach Li Bin, director of photography Mo Long, and executive director Han Dong :D Is there any wonder the Yulin army was defeated? :tongue:

ShZAiLn1bosO4PkHS08LgKNXIA5Se_A6c3kXXYH95gLIbiQJ_H1nJ3lhDVGp-yWIvCGrGq4gqWnfbfUeF8G4rsiQUdW5TzToD0INeFTMux8W-EirocuhvKQerllrDOo0Q9szyVTh1ObqBjF6oZlnfxf09412JxLGSXfQCpostii_sWLo4XPDIYFj431ezxPiZ-VuAD5wMj0gPPFoPsX0GeHjxNnbXzR5GaXbW47xfGfn667uFsa1BN2Mpj9cbNM4eoYEy8UoLPhh9Xjr2lOXwx2_iED01DID_RuxJ1g-hyLxmorkN26F8l7NXiAlgpLosfBKha26uj4dPZ0ZCeW4wnBq8TXIZswJRIR93y4M1oIrH7hl8d_RsXGyMZAdXq7lghwqzSaLad_ZwIPBqvWYv3xcQaoINBzBOFbxNiELlR9EVjE_bqxBetXmy4G08amB3biUYJ8CmaC9_VlywcjI-Huk2fHrZStZMnJlNhgwV-IdySiaK2CfcCjmzZnoulBdxGy3lNlNFfdyW4VSME33IKtwh_DVxhlVYuWaR3HEWK_e15rgx15gQNoOCYETPLExn8QVErcwIOT8Syg6pm7cIB39eMJ6Ai5XGi67qOap8cvmYF_KejzN11QdkKmlXzcJbgM4Hlkb2NFR6BTl285tR06SMC-c1DTQnVbzSCswzZwVGhRkf_UrnedZ6Jcerf-fn9_uBnyQtdgf0hZ3Z_50lXoE=w519-h520-no

1 hour ago, liddi said:

I have only ever bought three novels out of love for their respective dramas thus far - 步步惊心 Bu Bu Jing Xin, 师任堂:光的日记 the C-translation of Saimdang:Light's Diary, and now 琅琊榜之风起长林 Nirvana in Fire:The Wind Rises in Changlin. It is certainly a testament to the brilliance of this drama that it never faltered for me, but remained consistent all the way to the end and I love how all the loose ends are tied together in this finale, giving me a conclusion that is bittersweet, yet so right, faithful to the essence of the drama - loyalty, brotherhood, never held back nor defined by bloodline - the true spirit of Changlin.

Hide contents

A prevalent theme that has carried throughout the drama is the importance or rather, the secondary importance of bloodline in shaping one's identity. We first see this with Xiao Tingsheng who raised Pingzhang as his own, and naming him the heir instead of his own flesh and blood. We see it again with Pingzhang, who was never defined by the kind of person his own father was, but becoming his own man instead - honourable, wise, loyal, through the guidance of his adopted father. This is iterated once more in Pingjing's counsel to Yuanshi as the latter mourns for his mother while blaming himself and fearing how he too could perhaps turn out like her because her blood flowed in his veins. Pingjing's words of wisdom drive to the heart of the matter, reminding the young king that far less than his heritage, it is his own choice that determines the kind of man and king he would become:

YS: Had no idea? Can I really say I was blameless just because I did not know? Imperial Mother, Uncle - every decision they made, every command given, every word that was said - every single one was because of me!
PJ: Some things, particularly such as these, cannot be easily forgotten. However, what good does self-recrimination do? What Your Majesty should do now is to do your best to fix it.
YS: I am afraid that what General Di Ming said is true. After all, a part of my bloodline is from my mother. She is...
[turns to face Yuanshi]
PJ: (smiles) I guess you do not know. Then let's talk about someone you know. The old Prince of Laiyang had the same parentage as the late King, and both of them were personally taught by King Wujing to adulthood. Were they the same? Who Your Majesty becomes in the future only depends on the kind of person you wish to become from this day forth.

In the end, Yuanshi's decree reflects his revelation of what Pingjing was trying to impart to him from what his own brother and father had taught him. Just as he too respects Pingjing's wishes to leave, Yuanshi continues to honour the name of Changlin and what the name stands for - the spirit of righteousness, loyalty and brotherhood which transcends a person, a family:

FZ: Pingjing, did you know that His Majesty proclaimed a decree yesterday? His Majesty gave the order that no matter who the commander-in-chief is in future, the Liang army of the Northern frontier will always be called Changlin. 
PJ: Actually the identity and spirit of Changlin has always been to resist the threats at the frontier, protect the country and its people. It is not dependent on who the commander-in-chief is. However, I am truly gratified to know that His Majesty gave such a decree even after I took my leave of him.

There has been concern over Pingjing leaving Yuanshi to fend for himself at his tender age. However, I believe that the Yuanshi leading to and after the staged coup, is no longer the inexperienced child who was first thrust on the throne, and Pingjing recognises it as well. It is evident from the preemptive steps the young king took at the first signs of crisis, the way he faced off the rebels, his unfaltering stance in the face of Yuanqi's instigation; the pledge to recapture the three lost provinces from Donghai; and the steely order he gave, countermanding Pingjing's, to have Yuanqi put to death. Although he struggled with self-doubts, particularly after realising the atrocities that were done for him, he has grown and matured, and with his aspiration and resolve to be a good king, his father and uncle as his role models, there is hope for the monarchy of Liang. 

We see too that while Changlin Manor remains unrestored, Pingjing has made the necessary provisions and leaves the country in loyal, capable hands that would serve the king in the same capacity that his family did. The gaping hole once left by the Xiao family is now filled by men who uphold the same Changlin ideals and principles - Feizhan has returned as Grand Commander of the imperial army; General Yue protecting the frontiers of the nation; Dong Qing reassigned to the capital. Yuanqi's rebellion served to winnow out the traitorous ministers, and the remaining ministers whom General Di spared are the core whose loyalty to the king has been proven. And the spirit of Changlin lives on, immortalised in the future generation of armies protecting the Northern frontier.

PJ: The reestablishment of Yulin will temporarily be handled by Grand Commander Xun, assisted by the Military Department. It won't be long before everything is settled. As for Donghai, I wish to recommend General Yue Yingchuan to lead the campaign to recapture the lost provinces. I ask for Your Majesty's permission to do so.
PJ: (kneels) I have one more thing which I really hope Your Majesty would permit.
YS: I am not a fool. Once I learnt you did not reopen Changlin Manor, but are staying temporarily at your older brother's old accommodations, I already understood that you are unwilling to return to court.
PJ: Your Majesty is so wise. In future, Jinling court will be filled with talented people. I feel that my insignificant abilities is no longer able to assist Your Majesty.
YS: What the late king achieved in the past, I too would be able to do the same.
PJ: Should Your Majesty really need me in the future, I would offer my loyalty and dedication, just as always.
YS: Brother Pingjing, no matter where you are in future, do not forget your old friends in Jinling, and write [to us] often.

We begin to understand better Pingjing's perspective from his words at Pingzhang's tomb, an aching testimony to how desperately he has tried to live his life for his brother, and just how much he misses him, even as he knows that he should try to stop filling his brother's shoes and live his own life:

I have almost completed the important work in the capital. I still intend to leave at the right time. Older Brother is now able to see everything clearly from heaven, so perhaps I no longer need to keep telling you. The year you passed away, there was only one thing in my mind, which was to accomplish everything that you had not managed to complete. It was after a long time that I finally understood that one cannot completely live his life for another person. You do not wish to see me like this either. The Old Master often says, "Since the deceased is resting in peace, do not think about him anymore. Missing someone is taking on a burden. If the living cannot let go, the deceased soul cannot rest in peace. If he cannot let go of the cares of the world, how could he ascend to heaven soon?" I know what the Old Master says is true, but some things are really hard to do.

General Yue's insightful analysis into Pingjing's reasons for stepping aside, too hits the nail on the head. Far more than his innate, carefree nature, or even a wish to lead a quiet life with Lin Xi, Pingjing already knows what awaits, if not him, then his descendants, should he choose to remain. Had Pingjing decided to stay, his accomplishment in rallying a formidable army in the face of such odds, and the subsequent influence and royal favour will one day, come back to haunt him and history will once again repeat itself - having to face off the fear and dread that such a powerful family would one day become a threat to the monarchy and country. Xiao Tingsheng understood this far better than anyone else when he freed him from the shackles that Changlin bound him with his final words, not willing that Pingjing, having served his country well, should continue to live his life thus. Now, Pingjing, having responded when his king and country needed him, will step away once again until the next time his service is required, and finally live his life for himself, rather than in the shadow of Changlin, his father or brother. 

PJ: Didn't we agree to say goodbye at the gates of the capital? Why is General Yue here?
GY: Although I have not known you for long, I just feel like [spending more time in] seeing you off.
PJ: Ever since it was known that I had taken my leave of His Majesty, so many people came to try and convince me [to stay]. General Yue is the only one who did not say anything.
GY: You raised an army from Lang province to save the king. There were only a mere few provinces on the way, yet with a decommissioned Changlin military tally, you rallied a great army of 100,000 men. What this world fears most is someone with intentions. If you had stayed in the government, you would surely command a high position and immense power. While this may appear to be unimportant at the moment, yet who knows how future generations would view it. 
GY: From the time you left the capital to observe the mourning period, it is already evident that it isn't that you cannot handle the calculated attacks, but that you are totally fed up with it. Since your aspirations were never here in the first place, stepping back now is surely a good plan.
PJ: Someone as intelligent as you would have weighed the benefits and risks even more clearly than anyone else. As such, why did you still dare to report Xiao Yuanqi when no one believed you? Likewise, when His Majesty was in peril, why did you put your life on the line and faced off tens of thousands of rebel soldiers? All of these appear to have very little chance of success.
PJ: (pats him on the shoulder) Being not intelligent [enough] is possibly the most admirable trait you have.

Ultimately, I feel that this is the perfect conclusion for this breathtaking, sweeping saga, charting the rise and fall of Changlin Manor, and the enduring legacy of Changlin that lives on, carried forth not by one family alone, but a brotherhood of men who are united by the same noble, patriotic spirit. We are reminded of what the perfect relationship can be, should be - in a family, between husband and wife, parent and child. We see loyalty tempered with wisdom in the Changlin men - each his own man, from Xiao Tingsheng, to Pingzhang and now Pingjing. The path chosen by one, need not be the path chosen by another, and there is no condemnation, merely acceptance that can only come with the true bonds of love and family. One thing remains consistent in their differences - that they will respond when their country calls, and that, is the true essence of the men of Changlin. And with that, the curtain finally falls on this world and the incredible, memorable characters that have consumed me, and will continue to consume me for a long time to come. I miss them already...

I can't agree more ... thank you

@xienrue

I totally understand your argument that the show should spent at least few scene to show the court ministers appreciate Pingjing's action and also Lin Xi come to terms with who Pingjing will always be despite her wish to have them both roam the world together. I believe that they are ministers who are loyal to the emperor and at the same time knows and appreciate Changlin effort in supporting the emperor. Didn't Pingjing mention that they are some that try  to convince him to stay just well in happened off screen, I rather they spent the last few scene showing multitude of Pingjing actions rather than seeing him being distress with some old court ministers. I think Pingjing totally made peace with himself and accepted that he is himself and should never lived in someone shadow when he spoke in front of his brother graveyard. He understood long ago that his brother only wants him to live his live the way that he wants it not because the burden of it. Only by letting go and know when to stop pushing matters that will only lead to further problems Pingjing has accepted that he has done what he should do even if they are regrets he choose to believe that it part of his life journey and not dwell in it because look what happen to Yuanqi when he did not made peace with himself.

As for Changlin legacy I think my view on it echoed with @liddi analysis. Changlin name lives on per emperor decree as it give significant threat and power to protect its border from any ambitious enemies to think before they try to invade Great Liang. Changlin hold great power and great threat at the same time therefore Pingjing choosing to leave now make sense in a way he gives people and the country time to stabilise after great turmoil. People always have fear after a coup and him staying will only solidifies the fear some more that he holds more power that the emperor. Him leaving also gives other capable ministers and generals rooms to show more of their talents in aiding the emperor. A great country shouldn't depend on one great and capable powerhouse to avoid unbalance in power distributions. The emperor himself has shown determination to become a great ruler even without presence of Pingjing. The way the emperor give authoritative command that overruled Pingjings' shows that he is now capable and in the right path to become great ruler in the future. The emperor understands that he needs to walk this path on his own, find his strength and be in control of his own court and also care for its own people.

As for Lin Xi, I do have mix feeling the way the show develop her character. As a person she is very intelligent and independent that I viewed her as an equal to Pingjing. Her way of thought is way beyond many woman in the era she lives. As story goes we see her perception on Pingjing change bit by bit that lead her to embrace the fact that she has feeling for him. Her patience with him is admirable and she never stops any Pingjing actions because she understand the very reason of all his actions. When she asked him to let go of all the burden he's been shouldering perhaps she sense that Pingjing is already at his limit and as a doctor that was the best advice that she could give and as a 'dear friend' (quote by Pingjing:tongue:) she gave him space to mourn and time to think what he really wants in life. She never push herself to him, always wait for him to come to her on his own. So what as it that make her seem unwilling in Ep.46 to wait for him and her unwillingness to go with him to Jinling. I dont think that she is bind by her mother request to not marry a soldier. At first I want the writer to have clever solution so that both of them can pursue what they both capable of without sacrificing ambitions of one another. So when the writer make Pingjing come to terms with what wants to enjoy in life more it seems like it is an easy way for Lin Xi to have what she wants and Pingjing by her side. My mind do hope that she comes to terms that Pingjing always a part of Changlin and she finds a way to support him in the capital. But looking back at it both of them have spent years of their life outside of capital and I believe they enjoy more of their life outside of the capital. I think Lin Xi can see that Pingjing even with his talent and intelligence befitted to have high place in court can never fit with it anyway. Pingjing at heart can never be ruthless, hardened his heart to do what is necessary i.e Yuanqi treason punishment. The way to operate in court while one needs to be loyal and have integrity, one also need to be cold to harsh decisions even it is opposite of your own character. Pingjing can never do that, and perhaps that what makes Lin Xi not so supportive to Pingjing living in the capital as it will take a toll on him sooner or later. Deep in her heart I believe Lin Xi knows that she can never stop Pingjing from coming back to serve the emperor in the future, the way she waits for him outside the capital at the end shows that slowly she has accepted the importance of him in her life and will go to him if he cannot come to her. Luckily Pingjing is on break therefore they should do what she wants first and enjoy it while it last because nothing is certain in life so better live to the fullest.

On XBS I do agree that even he is a good politician his sense of loyalty can be question. I think he viewed protection to his clan power is far greater than the emperor as holder of the nation. Will he do the same it the emperor is not from his clan? I doubt that he will give 100% energy to protect the emperor if it is not from his clan and while he will still serve the emperor but at the back on his mind if the emperor does not in cohort with what he pursue there's a chance that his allegiance to the emperor will change to. So his death in uneventful way kinda serve him right since the amount of pain that he inflicted on House of Changlin because of his insecurity come back to him full blown because in his death he realise his action leads to the emperor to the great threat that himself did not prepare the emperor to face it as he viewed him as a child that still need protection instead of trusting the emperor with responsibility as a way for the emperor to learn. He will bring regret in his death for destroying a powerhouse that can protect the emperor and I am satisfied that he did not get to apologize to Changlin Wang and bring those regret to his afterlife, I refused to sympathize with him after the damage that he done to Changlin Wangfu.

@liddi

Thank you for the translations and it certainly helps to understand more of Pingjing motive in the end even I have to bitterly support his decision at the end. It tied up many loose end and at the same time give room for sequel to come (if any). NiF2 stay true to its essence that at the end of the day your choice that shape who you are, the importance to have good family as well as accepting your limit does not make you weak but make your a wiser human being in embracing the way of life. I do hope if you have time in the future perhaps you could make summary on the differences in the books and tv script just to get gist on what's been taken out to fit the screenplay. 

Running in in quickly so I don't spoil myself as I'm only up to Episode 11 but this is a great drama in every aspect so far.  I wasn't going to give this a chance as I haven't watched the original Nirvana in Fire series but I'm so glad I did!

11 hours ago, liddi said:

Hide contents

[turns to face Yuanshi]

You make some great points and i understand your reasoning but i still wish for the other outcome. 

Spoiler

The Changlin Legacy will live on in name but not really in term's of blood/family that hurts for me, i still believe PJ leaving with his immense talent is quite a loss. 

Nobody will be surprised to hear what my thoughts are about the ending...

Spoiler

It's an ending that I dreaded and knew was coming... and yet I'm aching from the bittersweet aftertaste. Sure Pingjing gets his victory over YQ, his freedom and his love but yet...

The show does justify the ending in a way that makes sense... but still, I'm left feeling a little disappointed and empty.

The show tells us that there are many practical reasons why PJ probably shouldn't stay. Evoking fear and jealousy from those who find Changlin too much of a force to be reckoned with. It will be a perpetual shadow hovering over the ruler and others that come after. Perhaps it is a sad reality that can't be dismissed and for which there is no fairy tale ending.

Well, it was always  PJ's choice anyway. He never wanted to be in the limelight and he never felt free in the city. So it's like bidding a new friend that I've come to like... a very sad but fond farewell.

@njoac Thank you for sharing your very articulate analysis of the show. I too am really hoping for a 3rd installment of this incredible universe, brought to life by the same writer and production team that gave us the first two, perhaps featuring Ce Er and Pingjing's children. 

As for comparisons between the book and the drama, my copy of the novel is only expected to arrive in 2 months' time. I can't promise anything, but if I do get around to doing so, I will definitely drop my thoughts here. We'll see.

@Wotad I know what you mean. However, if we recall the first drama, the Changlin army was not established for Tingsheng, but a restructure of the Northern Expedition army and Shangyang army into one. As such, while Tingsheng may have borne the title of Prince of Changlin, the intent and legacy of the name was never meant exclusively for him, although he and his sons certainly brought glory and honour to its name.  Perhaps if you think about it that way, it may make the ending a little easier to accept? 

The nod to Mei Changsu is a poignant one with the reveal of the locked secret passageway from Changlin Manor leading to 苏宅 Su Residence, and the dawning realisation that Changlin Manor is Jingyan's old residence after all, still linked to Mei Changsu's. Brings back so much mixed emotions...

auKhj0yfgUFLlNfRG4QiW1LqDvuekDlDKJeH70KelyVYqIGpmawvr4FQYd6RwinhwACbLY88QAsWwRe4HRNZ74hbcN6onbNajaNgYOll0fAAPeVHWX2owjUM5zh2FWKO4HsxXAuTUJXp6LsIC-bvtpau-ahaHJqQJ2OtM_OG-ZZN7ZrVxwJiG1X6UZ-dgoRVy068iGNtZoKuLoYYWJvCETFWllOMvvCSp4_ffRZFyqrXv_mOYp0ZdDU5olfiaVjAfruVpbTMJWQr5IZYrGA99BZHwYutEgkyA_MavNr1pVG84AOHXwPwHvuel93-JWEFtVYWiNYVvdR8SUpMvH03THqhMb0MDWxW7u9IC8_JbIEGcQsqtDUOuXba_SkEYZl3XTJ_zV6ef0HjAuRqpTx9N4InyiG65TU3MSSrsc-P3gw1Ws4538kk3wjhL9ZvzPM2G2pP5lK5aW0bbfEn8m_pYdJRXLBytxBAfdkGT_RUX1kn6uTtgt18wMpnJZYBa-JU9dvdsZ8lQc7EGZHeffmZF1I4ZUMyLlnuFZuyDK3_b30ENwkKR9yG9x04Bx7y9yaTM2R5bdnTbj0WsFeaAn7Oot_pZyO3HuX-vZxN5PAgUFApQdFVWlaXKGLpcl1hJtTw-75DuHtMZJhoiMOJ57scUNZ19mPfSFOKSixSCg2bkTkln-qtEYbjLpip2VdrUsCNgDulzyXAT_fcH8TpubGUACha=w1920-h900-no

I was not satisfied with rise of YuanQi,  any person with such a family history and at present nothing to lose would ever be allowed into a position of power regardless of his achievements. There is no way to control him, idk why nobody cared especially the Xuns or even the smart Changlin elders about how he suddenly became proficient in certain fighting skills without any teacher considering he was always around them

@rhaps

I can understand well about cool stuffs you were talking about. Reading your comment, I am too hoping that the show gave longer moment on those scenes :D. I also hoped that we got longer scene depicted the reaction of Chang Lin army when they heard how their General was ostracized at the court and got stripped of his position plus got chased out from capital. The army just got a overwhelming victory. Their general brilliant strategies that lead them to victory should be still fresh inside their head. Hearing the news must be devastating for them. Top that with the news of old Chang Lin Prince death ....

I am now at subbed episode 46. Honestly I am not interested in General Yue. I feel that the character is kind of shoved to us. This episode also shows that it is like everybody know that PJ is in Lang Ya hall?! Wow .... Talk about famous here. Even as an idle Prince, people still interested in knowing his whereabouts. Since now I am finally can understand the full content of PJ and Feizhan conversation along with PJ and XX, I want to express my point of view on a few things:

1. PJ is really a someone who loves strongly. Even after such devastating disappointment in the capital back then, PJ still care enough toward Yuanshi; enough to come back even at the price of losing LX. He still shows some emotion when reading the news about XBS death. Him being like this making me hate XBS, the empress dowager and all those stupid ministers even more.

2. XX is fed up with Liang. She literally doesn't have any reaction hearing the death of XBS. Her expression is so cold, as if a death news is just like a news about whether. When PJ and Feizhan have their hot discussion and got heard by XX and LX, XX expression is also more or less the same. There is no panic or worry there. She is finally shows some emotion when giving her blessing to PJ to go (I think that is mainly because she let PJ go to dangerous situation). I remember back in episode 37, when XBS announced PJ punishment, XX won't reply to XBS respect and screaming aloud after XBS left. In her mind, she has sacrificed her husband for the country (PZ would not need to die if not because of imminent war) and the country showed her a middle finger. Seeing XX like this, I am quite sure she doesn't want Ce er to follow the same path of Tingshen and PJ (bleed for the country only to be discarded in the end).

3. The court is filled with incompetent lot who don't have military expertise (yes, including XBS). If there is no General Yue offering his strategy, I think they might still be running around in circle regarding the taking of three provinces left. I don't understand just what they were thinking when they tried to kick Chang Lin family out back then.

@liddi

Spoiler

Let's don't talk about the Chang Lin legacy first. I understand yours and other posters point of view about why PJ needs to leave. And I am agree with you. The court will fall again to their stupid fear and jealousy, in the end history will just repeat itself. However with PJ leaving, it is like he lose against the evil in the court. He leaves so meekly. With his loving character, I am sure that he will come saving Yuanshi again if any accident to happen in the future (I am taking out LX "I can not be in your world" from the equation here) and then will leave again after he is done his saving job.

Become an ancient version of hidden superhero is cool and good but people will then see him as "call when needed, discard after use". I don't want that future for PJ. After few times, those fool ministers will take it as granted. That's why I want that the drama shows the court apologetic stance toward PJ and the reinstatement of Chang Lin manor as part of acknowledgment of Chang Lin contribution to the country. Because seriously, things that happened in episode 34-37 is like giving someone who sacrifice so much to protect you a middle finger. PJ doesn't even need to stay in court. He will end up quarreling with those ministers anyway and Yuanshi is not powerful enough yet to protect him (just like the late emperor protect Chang Lin family).

since everyone has already talked about politic, etc.. i will talk about romance :D  *i am suck a slave for this kind of romance..

i am now at ep 46 and after watched it with eng sub, surprisingly i am on linxi side. When she heard conversation between PJ and XX, i feel very sad for her T^T.. its kind of she is being outsider there (or its just me?).. but when XX said that LX will visit her often, PJ was shocked, i think he never expected LX to leave the mountain without him.. Again, when PJ said sorry to LX for breaking his promise, its like i got stabbed twice T^T..

i dont know if its just me, but my current feeling for the romance part (ep 46) is like LX's words to PJ  "your rationality is telling you that blame me is unfair, but the angry fire in your heart still will not extinguish ". My rationality is telling me that PJ leaving the montain to save yuanshi is right but i am angry bcoz he leave LX, lol..

BUT except for that romance part, i cant wait to see PJ and Feizhan colabs to kick YQ butt!!

@xienrue 

Where you find defeat in Pingjing's decision, I find it as a personal victory for him and his family - something his father and brother would have wholeheartedly supported.

Spoiler

How does one measure the worth of Pingjing's life? Did Pingzhang die to save him, so that he could take over what Pingzhang had been doing, fighting for? Or did he do so, so that Pingjing might live, in the truest sense of the word, in the way that suits him the most? After Pingzhang's death, all he could think of was to continue his brother's legacy and fill in his brother's shoes. In his conversation to Qianxue before departing for the Northern frontier, he spoke of always being worried - fear of unrest at the frontier, fear for his father who is old, fear that he would fail to live up to his brother's expectations. Qianxue's answer to him was so wise, stemming from an understanding of her husband as only she could:

"Your brother did everything he could to save you, not for any other reason, but just because he is your older brother. He wants you to live well, not to become a second Xiao Pingzhang."

We also have Xiao Tingsheng's last instructions to Pingjing, saying:

"You have always been free-spirited. Unfortunately, you are born into Changlin Manor. When I am dead, the words 'Changlin' should bind you no longer. You have done everything you should do. From here on, protect your older sister-in-law and young nephew. Do not be fixated [about the past]. Bear this in mind."

[Note: All the English subs I have seen so far mistranslated the last statement as Tingsheng telling Pingjing not to be burdened/obsessed by his responsibility to look after his sister-in-law and nephew. However, my interpretation as well as Sun Chun's recitation in the Xiao Tingsheng documentary, clearly shows that Pingjing is told not to be fixated with the past, and his only responsibility is to look after his remaining family]

As such, his ability to finally step away is a triumph in itself, because despite how difficult it is to distance himself from his father and brother's legacy, not trying to follow in their footsteps, at last he has done everything he could as a loyal subject and left to lead his own life. This has nothing to do with being defeated by the potential evil in court. What it is, is him doing his part as a son of Liang, in the capacity with which he can, to ensure that he leaves Yuanshi to rule in peace and stability, supported by a government comprising of loyal subjects, then embracing his own life, which is all his family ever wanted for him. 

In addition, I don't see any indication that his future response to the country when his services are needed, is equivalent to being used, then discarded when it suits them. It is never an obligation, but a response that comes naturally to him and his family, his willingness to do so because he loves his country, not because he expects gratitude and acknowledgment for his achievements. And when we think about it carefully, if there is any discarding to be done, who is the one who is doing the discarding - him or them? For me, he is the one calling the shots. Even the decision to restore Changlin Manor or not was put in Pingjing's hands - and it could have been restored if he chose to do so, which he refused.

@rhaps 

Spoiler

Yuanqi, while knowing that Pingjing has corresponded with Grand Secretary Xun regarding the three lost provinces and his part in the matter, was caught off guard by the emergence of the Changlin army because he discounted the possibility that Pingjing would be willing to return to Jinling, with all the resentment that he must surely harbour over everything that had befallen his family despite everything they have done for the country. And even if Pingjing did suspect Yuanshi to be in danger, what could he do singlehandedly against a great army of 70,000 that has stormed the capital and taken the royal family hostage? As such, in his mind, Pingjing, so far away at Langya mountain, does not represent a threat to his plans. Herein lies Yuanqi's miscalculations - the fact that he failed to consider the core of the Xiao family, righteous to the very last, and the dedication and loyalty the name of Changlin commands, under which banner, could rally an army of 100,000 despite already being decommissioned. 

Like you, I am rewatching once more... now at Ep17, where Pingjing has just figured out how the Prince of Hui ended up being assassinated, but not yet understanding the why of it. My heart becomes ridiculously full, and I get a lump in my throat when I see earlier, happier times play out, knowing what fate awaits them down the road. And still, I cannot stay away.

Archived