[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

sugarplum892

22 minutes ago, MsRan26. said:

I think PJ called wangye at the recent episode is because he bravely and proudly calls his bannermans as the heir of his father, Prince of Changlin. But the old general still called him as second young master (how doting)

PJ is called Wang Ye because ever since Tingshen death, he is automatically the new Chang Lin Wang. It is a hereditary title after all.

Spoiler

I also like how the old general still calls him Second Young Master :D. I think it is PJ fate to be doted by practically everyone regardless of his age and position, hahahaha. But I also like when Dong Qing called him Wang Ye instead of Second Young Master like he usually did. Dong Qing used to be PZ assistant, him calling PJ Wang Ye means he accept PJ as the true heir of Chang Lin family.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, xienrue said:

PJ is called Wang Ye because ever since Tingshen death, he is automatically the new Chang Lin Wang. It is a hereditary title after all.

Hide contents

I also like how the old general still calls him Second Young Master :D. I think it is PJ fate to be doted by practically everyone regardless of his age and position, hahahaha. But I also like when Dong Qing called him Wang Ye instead of Second Young Master like he usually did. Dong Qing used to be PZ assistant, him calling PJ Wang Ye means he accept PJ as the true heir of Chang Lin family.

Didnt PJ ask them to call him second young master ;p

Spoiler

So I was re-watching episode 48 raw. There are a discussion between General Yue, PJ, ans Feizhan that ended up in PJ decision to go into the palace himself (with Feizhan only). In that room, there are Lu Zhou (PJ assistant) and Uncle Yuan present. When PJ sounds his wish to go himself, only General Yue that has any reaction. The others seems to be already used to PJ crazy daring action:D. We should contrast it with Chang Lin army reaction in episode 31.

I will really miss PJ in his military campaign:bawling:. Please writer, don't make him become only herbs picker ..... It would not be a sad ending, but bad ending.

I think it telling that, rather than dwell back on the past 4 episodes, I chose to immerse myself in BTSes instead over the past 2 days, withdrawal symptoms already setting in, knowing that we have only 1.5 hours left with this incredible universe and its unforgettable characters. Having at last having roused myself sufficiently from my melancholy, some long, rambling thoughts re Eps 45-48:

Spoiler

Personally, I love the direction taken by the writer in this arc - introspective without losing its momentum, something which could have easily been lost as events escalate. In the midst of the tension, we see character exposition, allowing us to understand their respective perspectives and growth, creating a far more fleshed out journey for each one.

Yuanshi's character growth is perhaps the most satisfying for me. Having been thrust on the throne at a tender age and facing a hotbed of intrigue and threats which he was inadequately equipped to handle, Yuanshi today, despite not having come of age, has matured, his attitude towards Pingjing a reflection of his own father's with Xiao Tingsheng - love, reliance, and most of all protection, which is moving to see, considering he too, in his isolation and limited capacity, still seeks to protect Pingjing in whatever way he can.

YS: All those whom I can trust and rely on, have left me one by one. The kingdom that the late king left me, has fallen into such a dilapidated state in just a few short years. I often feel that I have done my best, yet I still could not do so many things well. Perhaps I truly am not anointed by the heavens. 
FZ: Your Majesty, the strength of Liang still exists. The lands that were lost can still be recaptured. Your Majesty has not even come of age. How could you belittle yourself thus.
YS: [sitting upright] Minister Xun, can you help me do something?
:
YS: I do not feel that my decision three years ago was wrong. However, I often wish to request the Prince of Changlin to return to the capital. Sometimes I look at myself and feel that I am too indecisive, too conflicted. 
FZ: Your Majesty, many things in this world are not clearly defined by right and wrong. Since you think this way, are you planning to send me to Langya Mountain to proclaim your decree?
YS: No. I do not wish to make an open decree.
FZ: Are you worried that the Queen Dowager will oppose it?
YS: No. No matter what Imperial Mother thinks or says, I will no longer change my mind for her.
FZ: In that case, what are your misgivings?
YS: Older Brother Pingzhang martyred himself for the country, Imperial Uncle gave his life to the military, maintaining victory all over the Northern frontier. Yet, what they got in return was the dissolution of the Changlin army. I know, although he [Pingjing] loves this country, he would not neccesarily be willing to return. Therefore, I do not wish to force him either.
FZ: That's true. Life in court is complicated, and not as carefree as being in the world. Your Majesty is worried that it would be difficult for Pingjing to refuse an open decree?
YZ: Rejection of an open decree would only expose the Prince of Changlin to even more criticism. As such, I have prepared a letter which I hope you will bring to Langya Mountain, and help to persuade him. Try to keep it secret. I am sick of all the comments from the ministers.
FZ: I accept your decree.

I love too the unexpected display of ingenuity and the implications behind his handing over of one of the six imperial seals to General Yue, his implicit hope that it would be entrusted to Pingjing. His one action speaks volumes - not only of the rallying of reinforcements, but more importantly, who he has determined in his heart, to be his successor should he fall. Powerful.

YS: General Yue, even if Imperial Mother and I can escape from the palace, we will not be able to escape from the capital. Instead, I would prefer that you took this imperial seal to rally an army to save the king. Even if the heavens has no pity for me and nothing can be done, at least the world would know the truth of the matter. 
GY: No matter what the future holds, I will do my best to find reinforcements for you. 

YS: When you first rebelled, I already had one of the six imperial seals taken out of the palace. Even if the capital falls and I die at your hands, I believe that he will hand the imperial seal to someone to whom it can be entrusted. 
YQ: In that case, I would like to know who that person is, that you say is worthy to be entrusted? The Prince of Changlin who is far away in Langya Mountain? Xiao Yuanshi, in the past when you were on the throne, naturally everyone proclaimed their fealty to you. However, once the opportunity presents itself to take the throne, everyone will do as I did. Xiao Pingjing is no exception.

This is an interesting perspective, as we can see from General Yue's conversation with Feizhan after he explains his heated opposition to Pingjing personally sneaking into the palace to save the king, that he too has the same idea, just as we reaffirm once more in Pingjing's later response to Feizhan, how the heart of Changlin men was merely driven by loyalty to the throne, never having any designs on it:

FZ: I know that General Yue is not one to second-guess a military command.
GY: What I oppose is not stealing into the capital, but the Prince of Changlin doing so personally. 
FZ: Why?
GY: Please consider. Xiao Yuanqi is already a traitor. His Majesty, having fallen into his clutches, might not necessarily be able to escape with his life. If it really comes to that, then what this government needs the most is someone like the Prince of Changlin, who is able to take control. However, if even he is involved, who else in the royal family has such capability? I fear that by then, the entire country would be torn apart due to infighting over the throne. Once the royal family is affected, there will be chaos in the country, which in turn would adversely affect the strength of the country and harm the people. To the people, this would be yet another catastrophe.

PJ: Brother Xun, based on my understanding of him, the moment we attack the capital, His Majesty's life would be forfeit. When that happens, who would our army be fighting for? 
FZ: However what Yue Yingchuan says is also true. Once everything falls apart, I fear that the future of Liang would be...
PJ: Brother Xun, as soon as the 100,000 strong relief army surrounded the capital, Xiao Yuanqi had already lost. Even if I was not there, the world would not let this traitor succeed. 

Pingjing's introspection is another fascinating one to follow, and we see the cause of his unwillingness to respond to Yuanshi's call - not simply because it was a place that held so many devastating memories, nor merely that such a life was contrary to his nature, but more importantly, the final instruction from his father - that from there on, his sister-in-law and nephew are his greatest responsibility, and whatever he did, first and foremost he had to consider his family's feelings. Ultimately, he, like Feizhan are true sons of Liang, no more able to turn a deaf ear when their king and country is in danger - and therein lies his greatest conflict. Qianxue's response to him as she gives him her blessings to leave is beautifully moving - how she describes that the greatest comfort of a family was being able to help bear each other's burdens. For Pingzhang, what she could do was to be by his side, supporting him no matter what... just as now she could do even more for Ce Er. I choked back tears as this scene played out, memories flooding back of when she begged Pingzhang not to abandon her, even as she ultimately still stood by him, her heart shattering as he went to certain death. 

One prevalent characteristic I have come to notice of this drama and its predecessor, is how almost every character, including the most hated ones, is given a redemption arc, albeit briefly, and the Queen Dowager is no exception. An ignorant, selfish, narrow-minded woman who has lived her life forever bound by fear for her son, to the extent of going to unmentionable lengths, uncaring of the means or consequences, as long as her son was safe. Her final moments are once again defined by her son, yet this time it was one of dignity as she finally stood up and paid the price for all the evil she did, giving her life as a mother so that her son might live. 

It is also gratifying to see how the most well-laid plans can go awry, without necessarily being attributed to the heroes. The tension is palpable for me as Yuanqi's carefully formulated plans to strike during the Spring Hunt are revealed, and I was on edge then relieved as Yuanshi and subsequently the Queen Dowager remained adamant to have it cancelled despite Yuanqi's repeated attempts to have it reinstated. Although I knew that a fall-back plan would be set in motion (one kicked into high gear due to Yuanqi's fear of retribution from the Marquis of Mozi), still, there is satisfaction in seeing him thwarted even momentarily, which in turn gives a ring of realism to the narrative, with so many variables in place.

With all that said, I am disappointed in the contrivance of Anru's suicide, which I feel was merely a narrative device to allow Pingjing to approach Yuanshi, with Yuanqi distracted away from his side. Still, I am interested to see General Di's move from here on, now that he has begun to realise the kind of man he has helped stage the coup, and hearing Yuanqi's unwise (and again contrived) outburst about forsaking everyone and escaping with Anru to Donghai, using Yuanshi as his bargaining chip. 

Two more episodes left. Two more...

If my recent ramblings sound like I'm disappointed with the show, it isn't the case. Except for Episodes 45 and 46, I've been reasonably pleased with what we've been getting in this final phase. I liked what the writer did with Yuanqi and for the most part how matters with the Xun siblings played out.  Yes, I'm probably jumping the gun and I don't usually do this sort of thing but this is a show I have really liked and there are aspects of it that I liked more than the first series which on its own was a veritable masterpiece.

I agree that romance isn't a major theme in this drama but during the epidemic arc, it certainly came to foreground. The show, at least in how I interpreted it, gave me reason to hope that LX would change her mind despite her mother's objections or her own unwillingness to get involved with PJ emotionally. Still it will be fine with me if they do decide to go their separate ways. These things do happen and sometimes even with the best of intentions to make relationships work, people have different priorities in life.

Anyway moving on... :D

I wanted to say that rewatching Yuanqi in these recent episodes,

Spoiler

it strikes me of how much of a bully he and his sidekick, Commander He, really are. The way they treat Yuanshi who is at least 10 years younger is quite appalling. Of course they're staging a coup and they can't be seen to be a soft touch. Ordinarily Yuanshi would be dead by now but for the fact that Pingjing is close by and can do serious damage, they're reluctantly holding YS hostage to prevent a full on attack from the regrouped Changlin army.

It really goes to show how far Yuanqi has come from the good o'l days when he was shaking like a leaf after making his first kill.

There's another person perhaps... that we've forgotten... and that is PYY. Even though he's been dead for some years, his schemes and ensuing legacy lives on. Even though YQ is vehement about not wanting to be anybody's pawn, at the end of the day, he is the product of PYY's machinations and vengeance. Clearly PYY's plot to destabilize Liang has worked incredibly well even posthumously. Playing on the then empress' jealousy, manipulating Yuanqi's mother, then provoking Yuanqi's inner desire, getting rid of Pingzhang first and then "installing" a snake right in the heart of Liang's royal family who would then conspire with the Marquis Mozi of Donghai. All of this was done with full understanding of the former emperor's state of health as well as the youthfulness of his successor.

Things have certainly not been easy for Yuanshi, taking over from his much respected, much beloved father at such a young age. Far too many people have taken advantage of his youth to push their own agendas. Even so-called family members. Whatever his mother may say or think, she's probably just as bad or not worse than Yuanqi for using him, in her case, to further her own cause against Changlin. Let's face it, she used his lack of experience, his insecurities and their relationship (a bit of emotional blackmail never went astray) to push things along a certain direction. The fact that she was his mother made the whole thing even more distasteful.

Well, it's been the younger generation's moment to shine, to prove their mettle... and it's their time to usher in a new age. It would be interesting to see what that looks like in the final episode now that the old fogeys have left the centrestage.

@rhaps Do you know if the Viki subbers have gone back to edit and correct some of those contradictory honorifics/titles translations? Er gong zi should most definitely be translated as second young master. Truth be told, I haven't been watching the English subs very consistently. I've been told that they do edit their subs but I haven't revisited many episodes on Viki because of all the ad breaks.

@40somethingahjumma Interesting how you brought up the subbing issues. During my rewatches, I sometimes take a peek at Viki or Dramafever subs, both of which, while good, do have problematic translations here and there. For me, I find C-subs to be the most suitable for historical dramas for the most part, be it sageuks or C-dramas, particularly because of the accuracy in historical terminology and titles. Still, I have no complaints and am utterly grateful to all subbers out there who have given of their time and hard work to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of the drama.

Well said regarding Puyang Ying and the long arm of his machinations, years after his death. Guo Jingfei himself explained his character thus:
"I am a warlock, so I already knew when my life would end. As such, I was extremely delighted to discover Xiao Yuanqi, and really loved him. Even after my death, my ideology and deeds could still remain as a legacy in this world. Therefore when I saw Xiao Yuanqi, I saw my hope for the future. Although previously it seemed like I treated him as a pawn, I hope that my own emotions would also carry through."

To be honest, thus far, with 2 more episodes to go, I love this drama more than its predecessor - Changlin's bonds of family, brotherhood and loyalty resonating with me far more than Mei Changsu's tragic, lonely quest - and I truly hope that it continues its strong narrative all the way to the end.

Fun fact. Finally convinced hubby to watch these two dramas... and he actually trail-blazed through all 54 episodes of Nirvana in Fire over a period of 3-4 days, and is now on Ep13 of the second drama. Certainly, this speaks volumes to the quality of the dramas in terms of narrative, universe and ensemble performances, to have been able to captivate its audience to that extent.

5 hours ago, rhaps said:

It's a pity that the show doesnt have time to show more bromance between YS and PJ. I actually pity him. He doesnt seem to have many friends, that is real friends who are honest and treat him as one, instead of as an Emperor that has to be respected. PJ seems to be his closest one, considering PJ's young age and bright-friendly personality. YS often remembers him and, when PJ was in the palace, YS always requested to meet and to play with him. Whenever PJ came, he looked very happy. Too bad, their honest-innocent relationship has to be disturbed by his narrow-minded mother.

After PZ and PJ were gone, the dimple emperor was also gone. Then PJ came back, then the incident happened which resulted in the death of TS and the resignation of PJ and Feizan It should be hard for young YS to bear a heavy responsibility as a Ruler, while knowing that he has hurt the people that he really loved and respected. 

Btw, the child actor who acted as his 10-years-old version is really cute, sweet and handsome :wub: . . I love rewatching his scenes with PJ. Their bromance is similar with Tinsheng-the dimple Emperor's 

this is another reason why i want PJ to stay he really needs a friend and someone he can trust. 

@rhapsThe Prince title can only passed down to male descendant. There would be no Chang Lin Princess. So, if PJ has no son, the title will go to Ce er.

I am agree that Yuanshi is quite pitiful. As I have stated in my post before, I am sure that Yuanshi already regret his mistake by the time of episode 36. And his punishment to PJ (stripping him of general title and to observe the mourning) can be seen as giving PJ a holiday. About the army, I believe Yuanshi can tweak that around in time (he let PJ has the command seal still). He is literally planning to have PJ back in two years. Unfortunately because of his youth, he was unable to understand the depth of PJ pain. Yuanshi couldn't help that, since that will come with age. However, even though I understand his plight, I still feel he lacks of sharpness of mind needed to become a great ruler. Still I am happy that @liddi kindly gives us the translation of Yuanshi conversation with Feizhan to let us see that Yuanshi is indeed regretting his mistake and learning to not blindly following his mother wish anymore. He is learning, but just not fast enough. The situation is worse for him because there are no one that can fill the hole that had been left by Tingshen, PJ, and Feizhan. In court, there is no one to counter XBS like Tingshen with his wisdom, there is no general in the border that he can trust wholeheartedly like PJ, and there is no commander general as trusted as Feizhan guarding his palace.

I like it that Yuanshi realizes that his government had been thankless towards Chang Lin family back then and therefore understand that PJ might be unwilling to go back. He doesn't want to use his authority as emperor to force PJ and choose to "plead and persuade" instead.

I also has said that Yuanshi was walking into harsh lesson by life experience. The revolt more or less is his punishment. He has to see his mother died in front of him by such a humiliating death and his ministers killed or surrender to his enemy. He will wised up after this of course. But whether he will be a powerful emperor is remains to be seen. Good and powerful are different here.

I hope Yuanshi and PJ can rebuilt their relationship from now on. Even though, PJ has indicated that he didn't blame Yuanshi, I don't believe PJ doesn't have a bitterness and sour feeling toward the court and Yuanshi as the emperor. If the revolt didn't happen, I doubt PJ will ever want to go back. PJ loves strongly. But when you loves so strong, the hurt will much more painful.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:42 PM, Wotad said:

Didnt PJ ask them to call him second young master ;p

Sorry, I forgot to answer this post :D

PJ indeed told the old generals to call him Second Young Master, but at that time he did that because the old generals were going to call him Shi Zi since PJ already got the Chang Lin army command seal. Thus, he officially replaced PZ as the heir. However, since for PJ the Shi Zi position would be always his brother's he asked the generals to call him Second Young Master still.

Right now, the situation is different. Tingshen has died. PJ has taken up the Chang Lin Prince title. He is no longer a Young Master, he himself now is the holder of the Prince title. Therefore, the old generals still calling him Second Young Master in my point of view hold an affection meaning. It is like a parents who still call their children by their nickname or childhood name even when the children already grow to adulthood.

3 hours ago, rhaps said:

Me too. For more than half of the drama, I wanted PJ to roam the world, because I felt that he didnt suit the palace life. After the Great Yu arc, I changed my mind. Not just because of PJ's talents, but also because of YS 

-Edited-

To think that PJ has a pitiful life and pitiful friends *YS - YQ* .

In epi 41/42, regarding YQ :

Hide contents

When YQ came to the Langya mountain, PJ realized what he intended to do . Eventhough PJ managed to deceive YQ ( made him think that PJ didn't care about what happened in the capital), PJ did care about him as a friend. PJ looked really sad when YQ left. He realized that he should've paid more attention to YQ, considering what happened to his family and what kind of person YQ was.

If I remember this scene, then I do feel sorry toward YQ and understand why he chose this evil path. I wonder what YQ would become if he was adopted into the Xiao family and lived in Chang Lin manor. Would he still be evil and back-stabbed PZ-PJ, so that he would become the Heir ?

@xienrue, thanks for explaing the Prince title!

I've been watching other wuxia dramas while waiting for subs ( still haven't watched epi 47 ), and it feels weird coz the difference in quality  is really obvious *LOL* .

I think PJ and Yuanshi have suffered the most and lost the most if you think about they have both lost loved ones recently. Which wuxia dramas are you watching im watching a K drama Jumong ;p 

I think if YQ was adopted into Xiao and lived in Chang Lin he would not have gone down this path, he basically had nothing left to lose so choose this path. 

The official documentary which provides an insightful look at Xiao Tingsheng and the actor who brought this much-loved character to life, Sun Chun:

https://weibo.com/tv/v/G0OJ742i6?fid=1034:0fbd82d619747fc26626c185604aa422

Documentary: Xiao Tingsheng  (Sun Chun)

[Sun Chun (Xiao Tingsheng)]
When we talk about the character of Xiao Tingsheng and his calling in this drama, we cannot avoid mentioning NiF1, which is the legacy of Changlin Manor. It is love for the country, it is loyalty, it is righteousness.

This afternoon during Daylight [Productions]'s promotional activities, each actor had 8 words behind them which provides an explanation of that character. The 8 words behind me were 长林血脉 忠义做魂 "The blood of Changlin; the spirit of loyalty and righteousness".

The reason the character of Xiao Tingsheng could bring up a good son like Pingzhang is due to his own origins.

MCS: What is your name?
XTS: Tingsheng
MCS: How old are you?
XTS: 11 years old.

MCS: Lu Yuan, you are the oldest, so you must look after them well.
LY: Rest assured, Teacher. I will look after them.

The oldest Lu Yuan, I Xiao Tingsheng, and Third Brother Lin Sheng - we were taken out of the servants' prison by the late king Wujing and joined the military. Changlin Army was established. Together we joined the army, together we fought at the Northern frontier. In the end, Oldest Brother and Third Brother all died. This backstory was revealed in my dialogue with Brother Li [the doctor].

XTS: That year, it was not Brother Li's fault that Lin Sheng could not be saved. If I could not even trust your medical skills, who else could I trust?

Also, my dialogue with Pingzhang at his father Lu Yuan's grave, explaining how he came to [Changlin]. After Pingzhang started wondering about his own parentage, he went to Langya Hall, hoping that the master of Langya Hall could give him a clear answer. As his adoptive father, I could already sense this, so in the end, I brought him to his father's grave.

Xiao Tingsheng has a lot of responsibilities - supporting the late king, bringing up his oldest brother's son. Pingzhang entered Changlin Manor at the age of 5 years old. [Xiao Tingsheng] treated him like his own flesh and blood and brought him up accordingly. This to me, is the greatness of Xiao Tingsheng.

[The scene of Pingjing kneeling before Pingzhang's tablet]

Let's now talk about my younger son Pingjing. In this scene, he was kneeling before his older brother's memorial tablet. As I silently watched my second son, at the same time, I grieved for the death of my oldest son. Death is what a military family faces. I was very afraid that my youngest son would ask once more to fight at the frontier, due to the death of his older brother, and the sense of his own responsibility.

PJ: I have something to let Royal Father know. I intend to leave the capital and join the army at the Northern frontier.

As a loyal subject, my responsibility is to protect the country. However, as a father, I was unwilling to let my son face death once more. I cannot forgo my attention towards my son just because I am of a military family. It is not like this. One must portray a very real, vivid character. 

[Shooting Xiao Tingsheng's final words to Pingjing]

Some scenes would always stay in your mind, unable to be forgotten. Although the shooting of this scene ended 3-4 days ago, Prince Xiao Tingsheng's final admonitions to his son before his death have always stayed with me.

"You have always been free-spirited. Unfortunately, you are born into Changlin Manor. When I am dead, the words 'Changlin' should bind you no longer. Pingjing, from here on, your responsibility is to protect your older sister-in-law and young nephew. Don't be fixated [about the past]."

The words Xiao Tingsheng said before his death, is the perfect declaration of this character['s feelings].

[Scene of Xiao Tingsheng and his sons paying their respects to the unmarked memorial tablet]
Xiao Tingsheng's existence is defined as a father, at the same time, as a loyal subject who supports the king. His perspective of power, ambition and life is different from others. To be honest, the scriptwriter and director imbued in him an ideal character. Does such a person exist in real life? Perhaps yes, but it is extremely rare. Of course this rarity meets the traits and requirements of art and creativity, meaning a kind of existence which cannot be accomplished in reality is breathed life in the form of a certain character, through someone like Xiao Tingsheng.

I feel that I am extremely fortunate, to have been able to portray a character that I really really love. As such, I was just thinking if at that time, I had told Director Kong Sheng that I wanted to relinquish [the role], and Director Kong Sheng also accepted, I would not have met the character that I love so much. Thank goodness Director Kong Sheng did not give up, at the same time telling me, "Sun Chun, do not give it up either.", thus enabling me to own the role of Xiao Tingsheng. Therefore, I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. 

[Shooting the handing over of the Changlin military tally to Pingjing]
PD: Okay, Cameraman, start filming. 3, 2, 1. Now.

[Pingjing approaches Xiao Tingsheng]
PJ: Royal Father.
XTS: Tomorrow, when you go to pay your respects to the late king, there is something you must bring before the tomb to report to him.
PJ: Yes.
:
XTS: Pingjing, look at me. (sighs) I hand this military tally to you because both your older brother and I believe your natural talents and aspirations are sufficient for you to bear this responsibility. Pingjing, do you have faith in yourself? 
PJ: I will surely do my best not to let you and Older Brother down.
:
XTS: From now on, you shall command our men with this tally. Be it through mountains of blades or seas of flames, my men of Changlin will surely follow you. However, at the same time, never forget that as the commander-in-chief of Changlin, with great power comes immense responsibility. Every military command you make from now on must be worthy of the heavy burden you carry, worthy of the trust that the soldiers at the frontier and the people of Liang have in Changlin Manor.
PJ: I will always remember Royal Father's instructions.
XTS: (nods)

PD: Good! Stop.
Li Bin (etiquette coach): I have goosebumps all over
SC: Last night after reading this scene, I was so moved by the dialogue that I could not sleep. I ended up having to take some sleeping pills, Director.
[tears up]

Actually, I feel that for an actor to portray a character, we need to talk about how one conducts oneself. A role is driven by an actor, so if you do not perfect yourself, you would not be able to do the role justice.

[Bi Yanjun (Grand Secretary Xun)]
This is the third time I have worked with Teacher Sun Chun. Our first collaboration was over twenty years ago. 

[Huang Xiaoming (Xiao Pingzhang)]
Teacher Sun Chun is my senior, and someone we particularly idolise. 

[Tong Liya  (Meng Qianxue)]
I feel that Teacher Sun Chun is really awesome.

[Liu Haoran (Xiao Pingjing)]
I get a little nervous when I am acting with Teacher Sun Chun. Perhaps in my heart, I keep feeling that Teacher Sun Chun is like a very strict teacher, not to mention that he plays my father in the drama.

[Huang Xiaoming]
Teacher Sun Chun pays especial attention to details.

[Guo Jingfei (Puyang Ying)]
Although I had no scenes with Teacher Sun Chun, during the filming, he has reviewed my scenes and gave me some pointers. 

[Tong Liya]
Be it onscreen or offscreen, he has taught us so much.

[Sun Chun]
This is the first time I worked with Director Kong Sheng. There is a positive energy with this cast and crew. Our greatest topics of discussion are still the characters we portray. Although the details of how it all came together on set, have now become a thing of the past with the broadcast of the drama, these scenes will, at least for me, stay in my heart, stirring up the memories of this actor. I often recall my times as part of the production of Nirvana in Fire 2, which I feel to be extremely heartwarming.

In my point of view, both Yuanqi and Yuanshi are suffers from having a bad mother. Both mothers instilled an inferiority complex in their son, each with their own way. Madam Laiyang made Yuanqi to do nothing, cited that is was the best for them. The empress dowager told Yuanshi how powerless he was as emperor and how the powerful Chang Lin family was. That in turn finally made Yuanqi become the power hungry he is now and made Yuanshi felt fear to Chang Lin family power.

Good thing for Yuanshi, he was still had a guidance from the late emperor (however short it was) and he has deep affection to Chang Lin family (PJ especially). So when his fear got the better of him back then and making him made a decision that he will forever regret, the repercussion was practically scared him. It made him realized his mistake and tried to make amend, by try harder to be a better ruler and by be more understanding of PJ feeling. Yuanqi in the other hand, was already far gone. His relationship with PJ was actually not that close in my point of view. They were friend, yes. But a good chunk of the friendship was built in Ganzhou (after PZ death), when Yuanqi mind was already poisoned by PYY. That friendship was not built on mutual genuine feeling. Shortly, Yuanqi didn't have positive influence that can tip the balance the other way.

@Wotad PJ didn't blame Yuanshi in the point of view emperor and subject relationship. PJ was aware that his act will lead to a punishment. And his affection to Yuanshi as family enabled him to be understanding of Yuanshi plight as a ruler. But, blame and bitter feeling are different thing. It is because PJ hold lots of affection to Yuanshi, when Yuanshi more or less said in the interrogation scene back then that he feared the Chang Lin family power, it is to be expected that PJ felt hurt. His beloved cousin "worried" that he had any design to the throne. Imagine when your close family member is suspicious toward you, it would be a painful moment. There will be "why" moment.

In episode 36, after Tingshen coughed blood, we can see PJ expression when father and son facing the court ministers. It was an angry expression. And when the imperial doctors came to the Chang Lin manor to check on Tingshen, XX even needed to take over the situation and let the doctors came in since PJ was silent (I think he even contemplate to just told the doctors to get out). When XBS told him his punishment in such inappropriate moment, I saw for a moment PJ anger was boiled and he tried hard to control himself. Perhaps in his mind back then he said: "Okay, you want to me leave. I will leave then and I won't ever come back. Screw you, you thankless lot!" And when Yuanshi came to pay his respect to Tingshen, PJ told him in their conversation: " .... because Your Majesty doesn't need Chang Lin anymore" (the conversation when PJ tried to give Yuanshi Chang Lin army command seal and Yuanshi refused).

Therefore, even though PJ didn't blame Yuanshi and accepted his punishment willingly, it is normal that his heart would still feel disappointment which lead to bitter feeling. If not, he will not deliberately not coming back to the capital even after his "two years forced holiday" is over.

Liu Jun's post of his character, King of Liang's final scene:

昨晚梁帝领取了他的第二份便当[流泪][流泪]对庭生和梁帝这两个人来说,先有兄弟,然后才是君臣。此间兄弟情人间常有帝王家不常有。这份情义特别打动我,也让我很沉浸在这个角色里,所以在梁帝病重的那场戏中,我思考了很久才和导演商量要不要加上那两声“哥哥”,这是我对这个人物在生命尽头时的理解,包括后面淳哥回复我“臣在”,我觉得他接得特别好,这才是长林王!

Last night the king of Liang received his second boxed meal [figuratively meaning his character died] (cry). Tingsheng and the King of Liang are first brothers, then ruler and subject. Such a relationship between brothers is a rarity in the royal family. Their relationship especially moved me, and enabled me to immerse in this role. As such, in the scene where the King of Liang was gravely ill, I mulled over it a long time before discussing with the director whether or not to include two cries of "Older Brother", which is my interpretation of this character at the end of his life. Also the way Brother Chun replied with "Your subject is here", was the perfect response. This is the Prince of Changlin!

48f36fd3ly1fnjp4yww4zj218o1r6hdu.jpg48f36fd3ly1fnjp5139q9j23341qikjm.jpg

cr.  刘钧 Weibo

22 hours ago, liddi said:

@40somethingahjumma Interesting how you brought up the subbing issues. During my rewatches, I sometimes take a peek at Viki or Dramafever subs, both of which, while good, do have problematic translations here and there. For me, I find C-subs to be the most suitable for historical dramas for the most part, be it sageuks or C-dramas, particularly because of the accuracy in historical terminology and titles. Still, I have no complaints and am utterly grateful to all subbers out there who have given of their time and hard work to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of the drama.

C-subs are such a life saver... I don't know how I would cope with any C-dramas for any length of time without them! These days with all the technology at our fingertips, I can always look things up when I'm at a loss and C-subs are so handy for that. 

I believe Viki does a decent job in general with subbing although of course there are niggly things that bother me from time to time. Still, I have to commend them for even attempting to sub honorifics which I don't really expect but I was impressed that they even bothered with translating PIngzhang's title shi zi properly! I can't speak to the quality of DF's subs because I can't get access to them. As a whole I appreciate the work that subbers do and the time they give to what is essentially a volunteer job but unfortunately I'm a bit of a pedant... :wink: occupational hazard sadly. But whatever problems the Viki subs have, they are nothing compared to the Princess Agents ones. :D

I only brought up the subbing issue because someone on the thread mentioned that PJ's "Er gong zi" was subbed as "prince" which I thought they said they had seen on Viki. Otherwise I try to avoid sounding like an expert. :D 

I will miss this show when it's all over. What a journey it's been. It's a pity it couldn't have been a tad longer and we could have a bit more PJ. But I'm just greedy like that. :D 

Lin Chen's letter to Mei Changsu, the video of which was played in the opening of the drama's press conference... breathtaking, powerful, devastating:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av17358741/

006B1aYBly1fnxwebg1tjj30qo0z57at.jpg006B1aYBly1fnxwehikipj31be0qo1ky.jpg006B1aYBly1fnxwen24h1j31be0qoe82.jpg

cr. 动-如-参-与-商 Weibo

My old friend Changsu,

It has been tens of years since you left us.

Lin Chen

Master of Langya Hall

The forests in Langya Mountain are the same as ever,

While the winds in the city of Jinling has never stopped blowing. 
The Great Liang that you once sacrificed so much for,

is once again facing internal conflict and external threat. 
It is fortunate that Tingsheng has not let you or Jingyan down.
He is now the formidable, renowned Prince of Changlin.
Father and sons, all three...

are a military family.
The Changlin army has inherited the loyal spirit of Chiyan,

supporting the country on their shoulders...

with valour and patriotism.
This time, the journey they embark on is long and arduous.
The pure loyalty of young men...

has opened a new chapter in Langya.
Through a thousand years of brotherhood and friendship
I will quietly watch with you
The wind rise in Changlin

PJ: After this battle, no matter what convictions are laid on me, I, Xiao Pingjing will bear the consequences alone!

XTS: You annihilated the main force of 200,000 from the royal army. Your brother and I are very proud of you. If the former emperor were still alive, he would surely be... very proud of you as well.

[Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Rises in Changlin

Changlin Goes to War]

@LyraYoo It is a beautiful letter isn't it... and the amazing talent of the sand artist is incredible, capturing vividly the essence of Nirvana in Fire 2.

Caught some previews of tonight's episodes... and without giving anything away, there is definitely a nod to Mei Changsu in it.

Not quite sure how I feel... from what I see, I think I am kind of prepared for what is going to play out, and yet apprehensive of what I have not seen. Please let it deliver all the way to the end.

BTSes are my staple these days... and it is such a boon to see actors whose characters have already died in the drama, in their lighter moments. 

Liu Haoran has really improved in his emotional scenes. He explained that scenes with Lin Xi came easily to him, but familial scenes with overwhelming emotions took a toll on him and he initially struggled with them because by his own admission, he comes from a happy family. However, by the later episodes, he had totally immersed in his role. He cried so much as Tingsheng imparted his last words that his eyes were swollen and had to stop shooting. As Pingjing cried in anguish by his father's coffin, Liu Haoran couldn't stop crying even after the PD yelled "Cut", and took so long to collect his emotions after that.

You can watch the BTS here which in turn also had me tearing up too.

Absolutely thrilled to find that Nirvana in Fire 2 has been novelised by writer Hai Yan as well (total opposite of its predecessor, which was an adaptation of the novel, not the other way round). Really hope I will be able to get my hands on it... time to hit the local bookstores again. (EDIT: Bought! Now to wait impatiently for it to arrive in Apr 2018 :unsure:)

ABW4B_B07895XR8X_1401335234_0001_2018-01-04.jpg

cr. Amazon China

1 hour ago, rhaps said:

Whaatt..??

Hide contents

Didnt MCS die in the end of NIF 1??? :crazy: NOOOOOO :bawling:

Actually, if you notice, there is a scene in the closing theme where PJ is talking to his lieutenants, wearing armors, and blood on his lips. I thought that it was a scene from the battle with Great Yu, but it wasnt. I've been hoping that he was only hurt :bawling:

Btw, I heard that there's gonna be a Director's cut version. Is that already confirmed? I heard that it's gonna be longer. 

What closing theme did you see it? Is it the female or the male version?

2 hours ago, rhaps said:

Whaatt..??

Hide contents

Didnt MCS die in the end of NIF 1??? :crazy: NOOOOOO :bawling:

Actually, if you notice, there is a scene in the closing theme where PJ is talking to his lieutenants, wearing armors, and blood on his lips. I thought that it was a scene from the battle with Great Yu, but it wasnt. I've been hoping that he was only hurt :bawling:

Btw, I heard that there's gonna be a Director's cut version. Is that already confirmed? I heard that it's gonna be longer. 

Spoiler

most likely not his blood there is no way hes going to die. 

Archived