Go Seung Ji

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

annyeong to some familiar faces! @irilight @andy78 @sava2sava @peggygordon and others..... :)

so randomly checked out the first episode because of ji sung and it was a good watch! we have a nice mystery set up here and we already care about the fate of these characters. we are stunned by the murder of sae ho and wondering how everything will untangle itself. I really liked the fact that it felt like a drama! many of these thrillers insist on dark lighting, ominous music and dreary characters -- it feels way too heavy to watch; I watch dramas to relax! so, this was a nice balance and had this makjang quality that I appreciate (the addictive kind we see in dramas like mask or ji sung's other drama secret love) and makes me want to keep watching.

I liked the absurdity of that goon seeking help from jung woo at the funeral hall, jung woo's bravdo and his love for his family. that kind of humour mixed in with those warm scenes like him interacting with his colleagues and his family keeps the drama from going super dark. the bright warm lighting and the music keeps the tone light enough.

what surprised me was the prison scene -- was expecting to see his cell mates sneer and jeer at him like it normally happens in prison dramas. instead, we have his cell mates show sympathy, empathy and even some care. even though they know he was a prosecutor, his amnesia isn't something for them to ridicule. except for that one guy who narrated that jung woo killed his family with a bit of glee, the others got annoyed with him for breaking it to him like that. curiously, they are almost protective of him and his welfare. they try to protect him the warden. they understand that jung woo's real prison is his lack of memories and they show a kind of sympathy -- really didn't expect to see that from his cell mates....

really liked that seon ho's wife immediately recognized that it was min ho. have seen stories/dramas where the twin takes the place of another and the spouse doesn't know and you are thinking -- "this is stupid! how can the wife/husband not know?" so, it was fantastic that she immediately recognized min ho as min ho and her utter horror that her real husband is in the hospital. wonder what exactly the secret is that she is forced to go along with this awful ruse. is her son not seon ho's? it doesn't sound like enough of a secret to blackmail her when min ho doesn't seem to have proof....

eom ki did a great job with distinguishing the two twins. am not sure if others saw it but there were differences in body language, voice inflection and facial expressions that distinguished the two roles that it felt like two different people. jung woo is obviously one of those people who can tell some twins apart and that is believable.

side note: can folks here tell twins (they don't know) apart? with some, I can. one of my colleagues was a twin and she once showed photos -- while others in the office couldn't pick her from the photos, I kept picking her -- everyone thought it was strange but to me, they just looked like sisters who look quite similar, not carbon copies.....

this drama reminds me of some of the questions that this documentary on twins I once watched.. the documentary was a study about twins and personality -- there is this question of whether it is nature or nurture that determines the personality. with twins who share the same DNA and grow up together, how is that they can end up with different personalities? while watching this drama, we are also asking that same question on how min ho can be so different from seon ho....

5 hours ago, irilight said:

@sava2sava. Ji Sung never ceases to amaze me. He is one powerful actor. I fully understand now the article in which he said how difficult this job it, given that he is a husband and a father.

In that short opening scene, from a nice dream to the harsh prison reality,  we got to experience all the pain and the loss.

@irilight ~ last saw ji sung in the drama 'secret love' and would say that his real life has added to his acting skills. have seen this in interview with many other actors (even older ones) where they said their real life experiences helps bring a grounded feel to fictional characters as they have a context (their own real life) to draw from. (if I lost my child/wife, how would I feel? kind of question is how some think while filming). so it does feel like ji sung's acting is a notch higher because he is now a husband and father. a situation like jung woo would be a punch to any husband and father who loves their family -- the scene in the prison where he broke down feels more grounded and real -- we can sense his horror, confusion, pain...

12 hours ago, Kasmic said:

Yes the twins Cha Min Ho and Cha Sun Ho who is played by Uhm Ki Joon did appear in ep 1. Somehow I find it so hard to believe a twin would be this evil? was he that desperate to get out of crime to kill his own brother to take his identity or is he just that psychotic.Writer at this stage your doing a remarkable job in showing how chillingly crazy CMH is yet please it seem a little rushed. To have CSH die so quickly WOW and without giving us more information on his life :crazy: Really? Im not one whom complains about a plot but seriously Im kindof disappointed. Will they give us some flashback scenes here and there to make up for it? Ok so CMH has the motive to kill but where is the reason? I guess this will be slowly panned out as the drama airs and keeping me in total suspense. :o

as weird as this sounds @kasmic, there is a whole sub-genre among fiction with this kind of evil twin trope and we can extend that trope to look-alikes (doppelgangers) as well . for me, it is more curious why such a trope exists in the first place. the idea of an evil twin killing the good one and then attempting to take over that life or the idea of a look-alike taking over someone's life. why do we have such themes in fiction??

and on a side note: read somewhere that the first recorded murder in history in a way is the story of cain and abel -- a brother killing another. so why brothers? and I remember this odd fact from watching an episode of cold cases where this police officer said something like in 70% of the cases, the murder is usually done by a family member or someone they know. in relatively smaller numbers, it is a stranger. so that is why the police always start with questioning the family and everyone the victim knew...  isn't that sad? so given that context, perhaps, it is not that unbelievable that a twin would kill his own brother.

but back to min ho -- as you said, is he really psychotic? he asks his brother whose fault is it that he was this way. made me wonder if there was some abuse in the family. was seon ho really a good twin? or was he just better at hiding his darker tendencies? I was surprised to see seon ho die so early -- thought he would end up in a coma or something -- but it adds an extra dimension to the drama. how does a stranger prove that min ho is min ho? the one who died is seon ho? how does a stranger prove that a twin switch has happened when very few can tell these twins apart? it is going to be a gripping watch...

5 hours ago, Kasmic said:

7. [+474, -33] They'd find out right away by examining their fingerprints, how frustratingㅜㅜ Anyway, Ji Sung is so good

so the basis for this naver comment -- did folks know that twins actually have different fingerprints?? if you are curious to know why that is the case even though they share the same DNA, here is an explanation:

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask68

and we see this fingerprint thing subtly in the scene where min ho goes to his brother's house. he pauses in front of the door. the keypad looked like it also had a thumbprint ID. so he is unsure how to open and chooses to ring the doorbell instead. found it interesting that while seon ho knew his brother -- he knew where min ho would be and also wasn't surprised that min ho did commit the assault -- min ho doesn't seem to know his brother that much. he didn't know where seon ho lived exactly. has he never been invited to his brother's house? he needed to see the address from the mail envelope to figure out which building and which apartment... hmmmm..if min ho didn't know basic details, how will he pull off the facade of being seon ho? it will be intriguing to see the details of this dysfunctional family....

Hello and Welcome @Lmangla here. KekekeI do remember you in the Mask thread :tongue:

Im glad you brought up the topic on twins and doppelgangers  (as we did discuss this issue in the Mask thread too) But since this drama is referring to the twins lets stick to that. 

About your questions on twins, can you identify twins apart? Yes I do believe that their are always some features (minor or not) that sets them apart eg facial structures, body image, moles or even by their voice. These are some examples of how I know the difference of the twins whom I encountered in my work. At first glance it might be difficult and that often the parent or twin members would tell me how to identify them. After a period of time Im able to set them apart and not just by their facial or body image but more in their mannerism or tone in voice.  I guess this is why the wife was able to tell that it was MH and sadly that it was her husband that died.  Like you I was so glad that she knows the truth and we are spared from the WTF moments of how she could not know. So I do believe that apart from the wife (sorry I dont know her name as yet) their parents will also know the truth of the Cha brother's identity - the Chairman and mother.  What an interesting twist. I would love to see the parents reaction to this switch and will they just sit by this fiasco and let MH off. Isnt it sad if they do and help him cover up the murder of his brother as I do believe that to frame PJW, MH would need the Chairman's help as no way he could do this on his own.  If my prediction is right then the whole family is psychotic hahaha! no seriously that is SICK. Let's see how the writer plan this out..hmmmm??

Speaking of the mannerism difference of the twins MH has an phobia of sharp objects which I think would perhaps confirm his identity to PJW. Though in court you might need more proof than that but it'll definitely set off PJW in digging deeper on the truth of the switch. I guess it all depends on how MH will overcome his phobia and if he was able to successfully overcome it in that short period of time. 

Finger prints is another example as your article has proven that there is no possibility that anyone shares the same fingerprints. In this case real MH knows this and he was unable to unlock the door of his brother's house. 

Oh...sugar its a start.. BRB :tongue:

started with MH fake tears crying near his brother hospital bed JW is watching the scene...remembers SH last words ...Calling MH name...an old man arrived at hospital is told about MH death ...i think is boys dad ...Jw is talking with fake MH ...MH looks worried

father and son scene ...is CMH really dead?yes he is his son answered ...then is ok is the best thing that happened ...MH looks shocked...now he went to visit his mom...mom recognized him called MH ...Mom asked the nurse where is SH...POOR LADY IS A PATIENT NOBODY WILL TRUST HER

DAD IS WATCHING THEIR FAMILLY PHOTOS...THINKING HE HAS NO OTHER CHOICE ,MH,JW A DOCTOR AND SH BODY...DOCTOR ANALYZED HIS BODY...MH REMEMBERED HIS BROTHER FIGHTING TO STAY ALIVE ...HOLDING BALCONY ...JW WANTS A DNA TEST TO KNOW IF IS REALLY CMH...MH LOOKS WORRIED

JW IS TA;LKING WITH HIS CHIEF ...ASKED HIM TO TRUST HIM ...CMH IS WORRIED FOR JW INVESTIGATION ...BROKE THINGS IN HIS OFFICE ...CMH ON THE ROOF CALLED SOMEBODY ...DOCTOR CONFIRMED IS MH TO JW ..JW AND MH MEET IN THE HALL JW TOLD HIM HE KNOWS HE KILLED HIS BROTHER

MH IS TALKING WITH SH BODY...HYUNG I'M SORRY ...DOCTOR ASKED HIM TO SIGN THE PAPERS ...TOLD HIM SOMETHING THAT WORRIED MH ...JW IS DRINKING...HE JUST CAN'T GIVE UP ...DOCTOR IN HIS CAR A TRUCK IS FOLLOWING HIM HE GOT A PHONE ...TRUCK HITS THE DOCTOR CAR ...DOCTOR IS KILLED

CMH IS TALKING ON TV...HIS DAD IS WATCHING ... I BET THE OLD MAN KNOWS BUT HE CHOSE TO DO NOTHING

JW AT HIS OFFICE...HE JUST CAN'T GIVE UP ON MH CASE ...CMH FUNERAL ...JW WENT THERE WITH AN ENVELOPE...SEEMS THAT SH HAD MARK ...OR PROBLEMS AT ONE OF HIS EYES...HAD AN ACCIDENT ...FLASHBACK BOYS FIGHTING WITH SWORDS MH HURT SH...NOT SUTRE WAS A ACCIDENT...MH IS REALLY WORRIED JW IS A GREAT HUNTER!MH DECIDED TO DESTROY JW!

IN JAIL JW REMEMBERS HIS WIFE AND DAUGHTER...JW IS VISITED BY A MAN ...MAN ASKED HIM IF HE REALLY CAN'T REMEMBER ...DON'T YOU REMEMBER HOW YOU KILLED YOUR WIFE JW HITS HIM

Kang Joon-Hyuk (I DON'T KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT HIS CHARACTER )I THINK IS A PROSECUTOR FRIEND WITH JW TALKS WITH A DOCTOR ABOUT JW WHO LOST HIS MEMORY...NEW SCENE HE IS TOLD THAT THEY BROUGHT JW ...REPORTES ...JW IS ON TV ...PROSECUTOR -MURDERER

PROSECUTORS TURNED THEIR BACK ON JW IT SEEMS ...JW AND HIS PROSECUTOR FRIENDS HE IS LIKE A CRAZY MAN...SAYING THEY NEED TO FIND SOMEBODY...I THINK IS HIS DAUGHTER

The Chairman arrives

Spoiler

2032eca35c49e60f7d9752ed2f3b5a81.png

Trying to refuse the autopsy of his brother but needs to see the Chairman

Spoiler

5e5e90e28a85a3d6b5a340d29fb6cd9e.png

de7d935d042c292c98ae25f5dd1e2d70.png

3bbe74016dc4640fc3a08e68be1b8bfd.png

953041af47986d80f727a68e508f2396.png

7162bbb4b28367e00041feb857eb228e.png

02def2ceed299699dbc8a9bfd3a92c37.png

No finger prints as it was damaged when he tried to pull himself up the balcony

Spoiler

49cff45778c28a3dc7f01df4941cd28c.png

9ccdb7b4332b4c5d28f85716a96577d3.png

1c54886312411381d41ac42c935c61ff.png

He did give fingerprints but the guy whom did the autopsy sees something strange and MH sends someone to kill him..another truck of doom *sigh* must we go there?? 

Spoiler

913b0df2d7336dd83988b4d103ce3dbc.png

5dafe963402eb14f31bbf4aff31723f3.png

c6ddf5e127f0aeefe46553fe7b89140a.png

To the teaser scene 

Spoiler

3e5cee424e25142d634924c025e4c319.png

77d2ac1101a85371496d57a5743e6388.png

PJW got his eyes on you SH/MH

3fec178ed8fd26d51ef9067f1c04dd1e.png

Spoiler

c4cbdf9de3d539daebf44ceb53cadc83.png

12851ee914d0f2a2e04add3bcbf2a1a5.png

44f7ccf13e52148cd200fb9a085d8f72.png

Spoiler

3519735e7c98ebb4d5cd40020ffa6746.png

somehow this scene was funny as JW didnt recognise him but seem liked he enjoyed slapping his face HAHAHA!

ee8483200de2195e1f7f355a4192784d.png

FLASHBACKS...SHE AND JW CONFRONTED IN A TRIAL ...IS DOING WELL HIS JOB BUT WAS SO CRUEL THERE ...AFTER TRIAL THEY FIGHT ...I CAN'T WAIT THE SUBTITLES

SEH IS DOING SOME REASEARCH ...READING SOME ARTICLES ...WATCHING A PHOTO WITH HER OWN DAD THAT ONCE WAS IN JAIL...FLASHBACKS ...SHE VISITED HIM IN JAIL SAYING SHE KNOWS HE DID NOT DO IT AND WILL PROVE THAT...

JW AND HIS PROSECUTOR FRIEND ...JW IS BEGGING HIM...HE IS CRYING ...HIS FRIEND IS SHOWING HIM SOME PHOTOS REALLY YOU DON'T REMEMBER...JW CONFIRMED HE CAN'T IS CRYING...POOR MAN

WE SEE JW BROTHER IN LAW LOOKING FOR HIS NIECE BODY IN THE WOODS ...UNCLE WILL FIND YOU HE SAYS

@andy78 thank you chingu for your recaps!

I just watched Ep 1. Wow. It's intense, gripping and heart wrenching all at the same time. I can't wait for the plot to unfold - what did MH do to JW's wife and daughter, if he was the culprit? What happened to JW that caused him to lose his memory? How far had Prosecutor Park gone to expose MH before he lost his memory? What happened between Prosecutor Park and MH?

As I had expected, Ji Sung never fails to deliver. This scene  had my heart in my throat :bawling:

05D93C61-158D-4017-932C-FE8324E82431_zps

And UKJ's acting is so good. He is so creepily villainous that you clench your teeth just watching him. The drama is definitely on track for a good roller coaster drama ride for me.

Archived