[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Lost Love in Times 醉玲珑

sugarplum892

@sc_4bfd6599c64db57788c51ac9bd9befd1 I think you're amazing... constantly jumping to the defence of this show and YL. You deserve a trophy for all the energy you've put in trying to put another perspective forward. Kudos dear. 

Re: Yuan Zhan

Although I myself almost never suffer from second male lead syndrome, I understand why people do. The second male lead is usually this long-suffering, self-sacrificing figure who will do anything for his lady love behind the scenes even if she's in love with someone else. There's a pitiful nobility in that and it's very swoonworthy. I can see why people root for that particular archetype and it's probably on some level more interesting that the male lead has genuine competition in the nobility stakes.

But as long as the female lead is not in love with him even the tiniest little bit, I don't feel obligated to root for him no matter how wonderful he is. After all, I respect her choice especially if she's absolutely clear about where she stands. The word "deserve" doesn't come into it. Nor should it. 

The thing I really liked about YL in the war arc which apparently caused some unhappiness among viewers is how well he treated Duo XIa. The respect he accorded her even though he wasn't in love with her was commendable. It wasn't his choice to marry her but to keep the peace and bide his time, he went along with the facade of being married as an ally. He maneuvered and negotiated a safe space for himself, CQ and DX within the limitations of the context they were in. Frankly I found that quite amazing. His position was as hard or even harder than his brother's because his choices were being limited by real political considerations and the behind the scenes machinations of his mother and others who seemed hell bent on making things much harder for him. He was at the centre of a lot of unwanted attention but he wasn't about to shirk his responsibilities even if they were forced on him. For me that is far more admirable. I know it feels like we're running over old ground here but this show isn't just about romance. More than that it's about changing history. The YL in the "second timeline" is different. He's less impulsive and more circumspect about his decision-making. He takes into consideration what serious consequences his actions could lead to. He's also trying to keep the peace in the family as much as it depends on him. There were all these balls in the air for him. Yeah, sure he loved CQ very much (enough to sacrifice his life for her) but he was also a brother, a son, a subject, a military leader and a statesman. 

In truth I didn't connect with YZ that much. I didn't dislike him and in fact, I liked that he was intelligent and reasonable.  But at times he came across to me as a bit of sap... sorry for the language... and I was uncomfortable with the way he sent his concubine off to find "love" at the end when she really wasn't clamouring to be set free. It's not as if she was in love with another man. 

Just a few of my thoughts for whatever their worth.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Wotad got up to episode 50 - i enjoyed the show, however I got the feeling it is going to have a sad ending. the acting is great, the sub-plots are all connected. however you might be disappointed if you are going to watch this (or any show) after watching Nirvana in Fire ( it is now the gold standard of how c-dramas should be)  

16 minutes ago, sveta89 said:

@Wotad got up to episode 50 - i enjoyed the show, however I got the feeling it is going to have a sad ending. the acting is great, the sub-plots are all connected. however you might be disappointed if you are going to watch this (or any show) after watching Nirvana in Fire ( it is now the gold standard of how c-dramas should be)  

Yeah that is how im feeling haha everything seems weak compared to Nirvana but i recently enjoyed Moon Embracing the Sun which i think was pretty good , why should i only watch this to episode 50?

most of these shows have a sad ending mostly for the second lead male .

I wholly agree w @40somethingahjumma :D that you, @sc_4bfd6599c64db57788c51ac9bd9befd1 deserve credit f goin' out of your way to argue on Ling's behalf LMFAo. He would be v. happy & proud knowin' he had such a passionate supporter like yourself... well aside from Qing Chen & Duo Xia of course:wink:

@40somethingahjumma said:-

Although I myself almost never suffer from second male lead syndrome, I understand why people do. The second male lead is usually this long-suffering, self-sacrificing figure who will do anything for his lady love behind the scenes even if she's in love with someone else. There's a pitiful nobility in that and it's very swoonworthy.

In truth I didn't connect with YZ that much. I didn't dislike him and in fact, I liked that he was intelligent and reasonable.  But at times he came across to me as a bit of sap... sorry for the language... and I was uncomfortable with the way he sent his concubine off to find "love" at the end when she really wasn't clamouring to be set free. It's not as if she was in love with another man. 

I'm quite the opposite, I almost...always...fall for the second male lead. Although to be frank, I find the whole Love Geometry so overdone LoL. I too can see the attraction f the second male lead but that's only because the main lead is always portrayed as a jerk/******<_< Maybe it's the Bad Boy appeal that most girls go for but to bring home or to settle down? Most likely - NO. While the second male lead is noble, sensitive, gentle, sweet all those that you mentioned it just further proves the saying that, Nice Guys Do Finish Last~   

I LoL:lol: when you commented that Zhan was a sap!:w00t: He speaks gently too^_^ That's kind of harsh but hey preferences -shrug- I think with Prince Zhan he comes across as v.cultured in his love f music, botany which are mostly v.feminine things LoL. In comparison to Prince Ling who spends most of his life on the battlefield. So he's v.rough around the edges. Therefore he is perceived as masculine, heroic etc.

I feel f Zhan's consort because it's obviously a business/contract union. Not to mention a loveless one at that. There's almost little to no screentime f the actress as well... Oh well right now it's the waiting game f me. Ah the struggles of a non-Mandarin speaking viewer!   

@sc_4bfd6599c64db57788c51ac9bd9befd1 said:-

so many worry at one time....  where can one think about romance..... 

... for had YZ in the 1st time line didn't do what he did.. QC wouldn't have to go back in time... is call retribution.... YZ cause what happen in the 1st time line..

True!:lol:

We wouldn't get a Drama either LoL:tongue: I thought Prince Ming alongside Consort Lian & the Emperor:rolleyes: also had somethin' to do with Qing Chen wanting to reset the events; because the Mages' survival are at stake. It's OK I get what you mean:D WIth so much goin' on I almost forgot what happened in some ep. 

Apparently from other post on here, someone said that YZ was actually poisoned by minister Feng. That is why he looks pale and weak in the end (and supposed to have died?), but they cut this in the end. Maybe because there was a lot of support for his character. So him letting go of his consort was actually a very noble thing to do, considering they didn't have children either. She would have rotted away in the palace as a widow so he set her free. 

@40somethingahjumma and @Latte_Anyday

Sorry if I sound too passionate about YL and this drama.. like I said it been a long time since I really fall in love with a drama like I did... perhaps is because of the book that brought me to the drama...  I know it sound ridiculous for me to defends a fictional character like I did.. I guess I too invest in the drama itself.. should have reality check...hhahhahaha...   I hope that I haven't offense anyone with my posting.. 

When I first saw the drama... I was a bit disappointed that is not the same as the book..  The only things that related to the book is the name, character, and certain event.... but otherwise, is a 100% new take on the book itself.. but as I watch  the drama.. I start to fall in love with it on it own.. not comparing to  the book... just related the event from the book to the drama.. The actor and actress give a beautiful depth to the characters.. it might not be a 100% perfect.. but somehow they breath life to the character itself..  And the event and story just drawn me to the drama..... When I feel that something doesn't seem right, I guess I just try to point it out.. and debate about it.. I wan't intended to push my idea on anyone of you.. just trying to get my point of view.. it up to you to related to it or not...  

Like I said.. I hope that I have not been too pushy with my ridiculous obsession with the drama...

@40somethingahjumma 

Thx for your input, I love to reading your commence and insight...

2 hours ago, ylywells1 said:

Apparently from other post on here, someone said that YZ was actually poisoned by minister Feng. That is why he looks pale and weak in the end (and supposed to have died?), but they cut this in the end. Maybe because there was a lot of support for his character. So him letting go of his consort was actually a very noble thing to do, considering they didn't have children either. She would have rotted away in the palace as a widow so he set her free. 

yes.. wish they have 2 more episode to the time that QC return back to the 1st time line to have full closer.... to many things still open.. especially that of Minster Feng.. he is the evil that is the cause of the 1st  and the 2nd time line..  in the book it was QC and YZ that brought him down...  They did film it.. however I guess because of the limited # episode that request by the TV station that they just cut all that part out to give a happy ending... it would have been very interesting...

4 hours ago, ylywells1 said:

Yeah. I agree......... he let his consort go because he is dying (his face is really pale)..  I was actually shocked to see his face turn that colour after he become king.  now we understand why.  poor YZ. lucky we dont see  the scene where he died or I will have heartache for a long long long time.:(

2 hours ago, sc_4bfd6599c64db57788c51ac9bd9befd1 said:

@40somethingahjumma and @Latte_Anyday

Sorry if I sound too passionate about YL and this drama.. like I said it been a long time since I really fall in love with a drama like I did... perhaps is because of the book that brought me to the drama...  I know it sound ridiculous for me to defends a fictional character like I did.. I guess I too invest in the drama itself.. should have reality check...hhahhahaha...   I hope that I haven't offense anyone with my posting.. 

When I first saw the drama... I was a bit disappointed that is not the same as the book..  The only things that related to the book is the name, character, and certain event.... but otherwise, is a 100% new take on the book itself.. but as I watch  the drama.. I start to fall in love with it on it own.. not comparing to  the book... just related the event from the book to the drama.. The actor and actress give a beautiful depth to the characters.. it might not be a 100% perfect.. but somehow they breath life to the character itself..  And the event and story just drawn me to the drama..... When I feel that something doesn't seem right, I guess I just try to point it out.. and debate about it.. I wan't intended to push my idea on anyone of you.. just trying to get my point of view.. it up to you to related to it or not...  

Like I said.. I hope that I have not been too pushy with my ridiculous obsession with the drama...

@40somethingahjumma 

Thx for your input, I love to reading your commence and insight...

Thank you dear for your kind words but honestly you don't need to apologize for being "too passionate". Everyone who posts here has a certain perspective that they're defending and I don't believe you've been too pushy at all. Your contributions to the thread have been many and duly noted so rest easy. It's all good.

It's inevitable that adaptations all get compared to the source material which is why I don't read the novel or any part of the novel while the drama is airing. But in general I just don't have time for C novels... my life is busy as it is. :wink: Still, I think LLIT is a reasonably decent adaptation because it treats the characters with respect  (from the leads to the 'villains') and even while they veer away from the original in a major way, the characters are properly fleshed out and busy. Nothing annoys me more than characters sitting around doing nothing and waiting for stuff to happen. That was the mistake of PA (and I say that as someone who loved the show) but LLIT did well to avoid that trap by generally pacing the storyline well.

6 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I wholly agree w @40somethingahjumma :D that you, @sc_4bfd6599c64db57788c51ac9bd9befd1 deserve credit f goin' out of your way to argue on Ling's behalf LMFAo. He would be v. happy & proud knowin' he had such a passionate supporter like yourself... well aside from Qing Chen & Duo Xia of course:wink:

@40somethingahjumma said:-

I'm quite the opposite, I almost...always...fall for the second male lead. Although to be frank, I find the whole Love Geometry so overdone LoL. I too can see the attraction f the second male lead but that's only because the main lead is always portrayed as a jerk/******<_< Maybe it's the Bad Boy appeal that most girls go for but to bring home or to settle down? Most likely - NO. While the second male lead is noble, sensitive, gentle, sweet all those that you mentioned it just further proves the saying that, Nice Guys Do Finish Last~   

I LoL:lol: when you commented that Zhan was a sap!:w00t: He speaks gently too^_^ That's kind of harsh but hey preferences -shrug- I think with Prince Zhan he comes across as v.cultured in his love f music, botany which are mostly v.feminine things LoL. In comparison to Prince Ling who spends most of his life on the battlefield. So he's v.rough around the edges. Therefore he is perceived as masculine, heroic etc.

I feel f Zhan's consort because it's obviously a business/contract union. Not to mention a loveless one at that. There's almost little to no screentime f the actress as well... Oh well right now it's the waiting game f me. Ah the struggles of a non-Mandarin speaking viewer!   

Thank you for responding to me dear. :)

I don't think the first male lead is portrayed as arrogant scumbags (at least in the initial phase) because women are naturally attracted to bad boys. Obviously some women are :wink: but many aren't. In fiction if the male lead is too good to begin with, there's not much room for development. If he's perfect to begin with, then there's nowhere for him to go as a character. No growth. Also there's another fantasy that's often at play and that he undergoes changes because of the influence of the female lead on him or at least from being in love with the female lead. But I'm sure you knew that already. In any case YL is hardly the archetypal Bad Boy in this. He isn't even one. But his journey is one of balancing all the roles that he has to play as a prince of a country and a lover. It's a difficult balancing act. My observation is that his detractors (especially from the comments I've seen here) see him as just the Lover without taking into account that he also a Prince with responsibilities. 

The reason why I seldom have second male lead syndrome (especially if the writing is good) is because I don't buy into the fantasy that any man would go to such lengths for a woman who does not requite his affections. :wink: Frankly I think it's silly that he does. Hence, the use of the term "sap". I'm a lover of the arts myself... being a musician of sorts, a poet and a voracious reader... so I don't despise a man whose inclinations lie that way. I know many, many men who love botany... my FIL included. Fantastic gardener. However, it suits the plotting of this show that YZ loves CQ unconditionally even while she doesn't love him in return because he doesn't become an obstacle but an ally against the larger forces of evil. Not all 2nd male leads in a love polygon are that reasonable...  Mu Ke Sha, for instance, takes a different (and darker) turn and tells DX in the end that he learnt how to be persistent in pursuing love from her.

Also for me "love" and "deserve" don't always go together in any kind of straightforward way. If we only get love because we deserve it than most of us will never find love at all.

YZ's final treatment of his concubine serves as a stark contrast to me in how YL treats DX. Maybe he thinks he's doing her a favour by letting her go free and finding love elsewhere but she doesn't seem all that keen on finding love elsewhere. YL and DX too have a contractual marriage but he was very respectful of her even while not loving her as a woman. No doubt she put him in that untenable position in the first instance of insisting that he be her first choice and giving Bad Dad ideas later on how to keep the leads in separate places.

I'm certainly not saying that people shouldn't prefer YZ if they want to but what I was primarily saying in my previous post is that there needs to be some kind of balanced understanding of YL's position in the overall scheme of things.

@40somethingahjumma

Hi..I was wonder what is your personal take on the drama.. you have etiquette way with words.. and I'm certain that you have watch many drama to have many input and take of the drama.. would love to hear you opinion...  One of the things that viewer said that there is lack of chemistry between the lead.. for me I though they did a great job of portraying their character... would love to hear your overall feel the the drama as a whole.... 

17 hours ago, sc_4bfd6599c64db57788c51ac9bd9befd1 said:

Hard for me... cause I'm too picky...  don't just watch any drama....  was interest in princess agent cause of the female lead.. but couldn't get pass episode 20... watch bit and pieces... then the ending... after watching the ending.. I just stop... 

10 mile I like and had re-watch it 3 time... moonlight drawn by cloud... sound of the desert... are my other favorite...

but so far isn't interest in any other drama out there right now... saw part of "the king woman"... but didn't get my attention to watch after episode 4....

Hopefully there will be a drama that I'll like and will share with you all on a new forum...

Lucky you for quitting The King's woman in time, you don't any idea what viewers (including me) are going trought right now. And agree, is going to be so bored after LLIT because all dramas right now are kind of bad

Can someone translate this page for me? I don't understand chinese at all https://m.weibo.cn/status/FoaDkcmYk?luicode=20000061&lfid=4157607502948244

If I'm not mistake, there is a post in youtube that the production cut a lot scene in the end. YZ giving his stone to make the main couple could get merried. He help QC kills the prime minister and he took the poison from him. The day when I saw him very sad is the day when he must drink the poison. And when he sending out his concubine, perhaps because he is near to death and he can not protect her again. He doesn't want to make her struggle alone in a palace. Because in the end, he is died. The production has filmed it all. But they cut it out.

18 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Re: Yuan Zhan

Although I myself almost never suffer from second male lead syndrome, I understand why people do. The second male lead is usually this long-suffering, self-sacrificing figure who will do anything for his lady love behind the scenes even if she's in love with someone else. There's a pitiful nobility in that and it's very swoonworthy. I can see why people root for that particular archetype and it's probably on some level more interesting that the male lead has genuine competition in the nobility stakes.

But as long as the female lead is not in love with him even the tiniest little bit, I don't feel obligated to root for him no matter how wonderful he is. After all, I respect her choice especially if she's absolutely clear about where she stands. The word "deserve" doesn't come into it. Nor should it. 

The thing I really liked about YL in the war arc which apparently caused some unhappiness among viewers is how well he treated Duo XIa. The respect he accorded her even though he wasn't in love with her was commendable. It wasn't his choice to marry her but to keep the peace and bide his time, he went along with the facade of being married as an ally. He maneuvered and negotiated a safe space for himself, CQ and DX within the limitations of the context they were in. Frankly I found that quite amazing. His position was as hard or even harder than his brother's because his choices were being limited by real political considerations and the behind the scenes machinations of his mother and others who seemed hell bent on making things much harder for him. He was at the centre of a lot of unwanted attention but he wasn't about to shirk his responsibilities even if they were forced on him. For me that is far more admirable. I know it feels like we're running over old ground here but this show isn't just about romance. More than that it's about changing history. The YL in the "second timeline" is different. He's less impulsive and more circumspect about his decision-making. He takes into consideration what serious consequences his actions could lead to. He's also trying to keep the peace in the family as much as it depends on him. There were all these balls in the air for him. Yeah, sure he loved CQ very much (enough to sacrifice his life for her) but he was also a brother, a son, a subject, a military leader and a statesman. 

Just a few of my thoughts for whatever their worth.

Yes I have to agree with you. I don't understand why are people upset with YL treating DX with decency. It doesnt mean that as the male lead you can only be kind to the female lead? After all it was QC who asked him to fake marry DX even though he was reluctant. And remember the sword he threw in anger when they brought him the marriage costumes? It was absolutely clear he does not want to carry out the fake wedding at all.

But after it was carried out, he was gentleman enough to treat DX kindly. And what was wrong with a head-pat ? I clearly cannot understand  what the hoo-ha was at all. Would it please viewers if he had treated her coldly and unkindly? DX was a victim too.

And yeah, I never have feelings with second leads either, no matter how pitiful they are, what is not meant to be theirs will not be theirs. And I do not like the way he treated his wife too. Does he really think she will find a lover outside the palace? For goodness sake!

4 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Yes I have to agree with you. I don't understand why are people upset with YL treating DX with decency. It doesnt mean that as the male lead you can only be kind to the female lead? After all it was QC who asked him to fake marry DX even though he was reluctant. And remember the sword he threw in anger when they brought him the marriage costumes? It was absolutely clear he does not want to carry out the fake wedding at all.

But after it was carried out, he was gentleman enough to treat DX kindly. And what was wrong with a head-pat ? I clearly cannot understand  what the hoo-ha was at all. Would it please viewers if he had treated her coldly ? DX was a victim too.

And yeah, I never have feelings with second leads either, no matter how pitiful they are, not is not meant to be theirs will not be theirs.

from what I read from other site.. is not DX that they hate... it seem the actress that play DX give such a bad impression of the 3 wheel in the other drama.. that effect their feeling of DX the character....  My perspective like you see nothing wrong with a pat on the head or the back hug..... that pat YL seem to do that to almost everyone.. He did that to YZ at the end of the episode..just as with 11th prince and Caiqian.. I guess that his show of brotherly affection.. while with QC.. his hand is on her cheek...Oh well.. each viewer have their own way of thinking.....

LLiT is over.. hopefully if they release the DVD they will extend and included the arch that QC return to the 1st time line to get rid of minster Feng.. for his is the root of evil.. 

Archived