[Drama 2016/2017] Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo, 역도 요정 김복주

Maetawinz

24 minutes ago, raks86 said:

okay, I have question and its pretty silly but I thought I would still ask you guys :blush: In Korean drama, are young actors not really encouraged to do french kissing? Is it considered not suitable for audience or something ? I'm asking this coz I feel like the actors in their 30's do have this long kissing scenes in dramas but the actors in early 20's don't have such scenes? I could be wrong though. sorry, If my question is lame 

I'll try to tackle this really relevant question: here's the thing about kissing in Korean dramas. It's only in the past few years that kissing has started to resemble kissing. It was seen as some kind of taboo on National TV (mbc, sbs, kbs). There was only the big opened eyed lip on lip thing that happened. Then slowly they have a bit of 2 peck kiss. Now, they are usually quite innocent with a little more kisses but still with the fish eye lips don't move, hands don't move. Really kind of awkward. They keep it G/PG/PG13. 

More make out session kisses are usually on Korean cable (Tvn, ocn, Jtbc...). Real actual human kisses are in the Korean movies. lol.

This JH / BJ kiss was actually surprising, but they kept it pretty PG, but I loved it.

Hope this answers your question. 

Everyone please chime in. This is just based on the past 15+ years of watching.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, MC99 said:

I'll try to tackle this really relevant question: here's the thing about kissing in Korean dramas. It's only in the past few years that kissing has started to resemble kissing. It was seen as some kind of taboo on National TV (mbc, sbs, kbs). There was only the big opened eyed lip on lip thing that happened. Then slowly they have a bit of 2 peck kiss. Now, they are usually quite innocent with a little more kisses but still with the fish eye lips don't move, hands don't move. Really kind of awkward. They keep it G/PG/PG13. 

More make out session kisses are usually on Korean cable (Tvn, ocn, Jtbc...). Real actual human kisses are in the Korean movies. lol.

This JH / BJ kiss was actually surprising, but they kept it pretty PG, but I loved it.

Hope this answers your question. 

Everyone please chime in. This is just based on the past 15+ years of watching.

Thank you Thank you! You have explained it nicely, Now, I get the idea. I have been watching KDramas for last 1.5 years I believe ? and I noticed the awkward kisses and assumed probably a rating thing? but then again recently I saw some making out scenes from other dramas on Instagram and the actors on those dramas seem a bit senior - that's why I was wondering if actor's age play any role in that. Thank you for your explanation.

and the kissing scenes here in WFKBJ are consistent with the characters and the storyline.as BJ herself is experiencing it the first time- it makes sense and seemed so real <3  Loved, Loved, Loved  the snow kiss scene- It was beautifully shot (gotta rewatch it again ) 

16 minutes ago, raks86 said:

Thank you Thank you! You have explained it nicely, Now, I get the idea. I have been watching KDramas for last 1.5 years I believe ? and I noticed the awkward kisses and assumed probably a rating thing? but then again recently I saw some making out scenes from other dramas on Instagram and the actors on those dramas seem a bit senior - that's why I was wondering if actor's age play any role in that. Thank you for your explanation.

and the kissing scenes here in WFKBJ are consistent with the characters and the storyline.as BJ herself is experiencing it the first time- it makes sense and seemed so real <3  Loved, Loved, Loved  the snow kiss scene- It was beautifully shot (gotta rewatch it again ) 

Np! Glad to add some insight. Yes, from watching shows from pretty much every other country and America esp. to SK dramas, it'll throw you off kilter cause they are so...hmm....chaste (suppose that's the best word)... The cable tv dramas are stepping it up.

Yea, I agree with you on the WFKBJ dramas.

6 hours ago, raks86 said:

okay, I have question and its pretty silly but I thought I would still ask you guys :blush: In Korean drama, are young actors not really encouraged to do french kissing? Is it considered not suitable for audience or something ? I'm asking this coz I feel like the actors in their 30's do have this long kissing scenes in dramas but the actors in early 20's don't have such scenes? I could be wrong though. sorry, If my question is lame 

I think it has to do w/the type of story, sometimes the actor. In the story's for the younger actors, I'm sure they want to convey an 'innocence" of young love. That's why we seem to get those 'stiff' kisses. W/the more 'mature' stories they seem to go for it. I even think it is also determined by the director/PD.

@Ahpheng Thank Youcrazy-monkey-emoticon-148.gif I love the C-Strips:heart:

6 hours ago, MC99 said:

Thank you for your observations! I have been watching for about 3 years but I agree this kiss was surprising but now has to be one of my favorites.

16 hours ago, sakura2016 said:

owww our Bok Joo is jealous?!! don't worry Bok Joo-ah this man have his eyes only on you trust him and us!! ;) 

they are SO CUTE!! :blush: 

Tnx for the pics chingu :wub:...she is cute jealous...he's cute in finding out why she sulks :wub:...though i do think he deserves her to be like that a bit..he did  support her from the start and ran for her a loooot...he was her crying shoulder as well...and she didn't even see him as a good looking till recently :wink:

16 hours ago, evie7 said:

Just kiss her alreadypanda-emoticon-41.gif

Is it Wednesday yet?

Yes JH, we know kiss is the best way to convince her ...you should trust the elders :wink:

Not yet...2 more days...to far away :sweatingbullets:

25 minutes ago, zagigirl said:

Tnx for the pics chingu :wub:...she is cute jealous...he's cute in finding out why she sulks :wub:...though i do think he deserves her to be like that a bit..he did  support her from the start and ran for her a loooot...he was her crying shoulder as well...and she didn't even see him as a good looking till recently :wink:

He does deserve it, after what SH did to Bok Joo, they just started a relationship, he has no business running to her even as a concerned friend. I wouldn't like it crazy-monkey-emoticon-025.gif

15 minutes ago, evie7 said:

He does deserve it, after what SH did to Bok Joo, they just started a relationship, he has no business running to her even as a concerned friend. I wouldn't like it crazy-monkey-emoticon-025.gif

Come on...that girl is totally down...don't be like this...they should go together...to show her  people should care about the close people around, not to think only about themself

Beside i think Bj will call JH when she finds SH and will tell him herself

...and thanks to caring JH we'll see a nice make up....then again what comes next?...wasn't we talking sometime in the past about the order of that kind of things? :)

1 hour ago, zagigirl said:

Come on...that girl is totally down...don't be like this...they should go together...to show her  people should care about the close people around, not to think only about themself

Beside i think Bj will call JH when she finds SH and will tell him herself

...and thanks to caring JH we'll see a nice make up....then again what comes next?...wasn't we talking sometime in the past about the order of that kind of things? :)

But I think there should be no room for SH in the OTP's circle of friends. They should help her, they should talk to her and bring her back on track. But everything more wouldn't be a good idea.

The best thing for SH would be a completely new start.

I really want to close that chapter and see more of JH's problems. The trauma and his family "issues" should be targeted next.

19 minutes ago, dhakra said:

But I think there should be no room for SH in the OTP's circle of friends. They should help her, they should talk to her and bring her back on track. But everything more wouldn't be a good idea.

The best thing for SH would be a completely new start.

I really want to close that chapter and see more of JH's problems. The trauma and his family "issues" should be targeted next.

I agree...she shouldn't be one of their friends...but first she needs to axcept that...BJ as JH's new GF them as a pair...you can't push it or she will create even more problems...i think she will do that in next or next 2 eps...she did try to move on with that JH's senior didn't work out first time will when she gets more determined

You r right about moving to JH's others problems as well...and we still have a problem with BJ's fathers kidney 

Wish this drama has more eps...

I am hoping BJ's dad doesn't need anybody's kidneys. At least not BJ's!! :crazy: That track is a favorite in Asian dramas. I am dreading it!!

They have enough plot lines to choose from for the remaining episodes without having to go into the above. 

Guest AlexMao

@vaberella Well those two do have a bit of screen-time, but nothing that I can remember that gives off the same feelings those two pictures can. Since the two pictures are from the most recent episode, the only other stuff I can think about seeing them really interact was when the trio (Sun Ok, Tae Kwon and Nan Hee) were trying to stop Jae Yi from trying to run into Bok Joo. I mean if you really wanted to you could probably stretch something if you included their interaction during Shi Ho's sleep walking bit.

Did the two have anything to do with each other during the earlier episodes with the panty thief at the girls' dormitory? 

5 minutes ago, staygold said:

I am hoping BJ's dad doesn't need anybody's kidneys. At least not BJ's!! :crazy: That track is a favorite in Asian dramas. I am dreading it!!

They have enough plot lines to choose from for the remaining episodes without having to go into the above. 

I agree...but they do keep mentioning his illness ...wonder how will it end

34 minutes ago, zagigirl said:

I agree...but they do keep mentioning his illness ...wonder how will it end

Me too. You are right, this show needs more episodes as there are a number of unresolved issues: 

1.JH's trauma & confronting his family 

2. Coach Choi - will she get to return ? Will she & Sam Choon get together? 

3. JY - is he ever going to get over his own emotional baggage? Is it really the end for him & AY? 

4. Shi Ho - that girl needs some major help. I'm quite sure JH will tell her bout him & BJ - hmm how will she take it? 

5. SO - will she come back to train ? Though not as important- the SO - TK love line since they hinted at it earlier

so all of these on TOP of BJ's dad's kidney problems & BJ - JH navigating their new relationship. 

It will be a packed last 4 episodes. Sniff , don't want this to end. This is one of those dramas that I felt got better with every episode. :wub:

12 minutes ago, triplem said:

Me too. You are right, this show needs more episodes as there are a number of unresolved issues: 

3. JY - is he ever going to get over his own emotional baggage? Is it really the end for him & AY? 

4. Shi Ho - that girl needs some major help. I'm quite sure JH will tell her bout him & BJ - hmm how will she take it? 

5. SO - will she come back to train ? Though not as important- the SO - TK love line since they hinted at it earlier

so all of these on TOP of BJ's dad's kidney problems & BJ - JH navigating their new relationship. 

It will be a packed last 4 episodes. Sniff , don't want this to end. This is one of those dramas that I felt got better with every episode. :wub:

Don't think they have enough time to do it the way i might want...just hope they won't show JH next time on the competition without any signs of trauma all of the sudden...and want at least our OTP love story to be finished slowly and with many hot details :wub:

17 hours ago, raks86 said:

Like what has been said, terrestrial TV is heavily monitored, unlike cable TV (hello, I Need Romance!) Based on my 5-man-hours of watching Kdrama kissing clips observation, if young actors were to have long, realistic kisses, it would be ruled out by authorities and more probably by Korean viewers as age-inappropriate and could negatively influence the youth. Cable TV has more freedom (see Potato Star's Yeo Jingoo, Operation Proposal's Yoo Seungho). Older actors do have longer scenes, but more often, they're in the realm of "modesty," that's why you get long shots some seconds later. But of course, Me Too, Flower happened. 

3 hours ago, staygold said:

We are forgetting somebody who is not an athlete - the uncle. Maybe him giving his kidney is a way to make Coach Choi notice him after all.

2 hours ago, zagigirl said:

I agree...she shouldn't be one of their friends...but first she needs to axcept that...BJ as JH's new GF them as a pair...you can't push it or she will create even more problems...i think she will do that in next or next 2 eps...she did try to move on with that JH's senior didn't work out first time will when she gets more determined

You r right about moving to JH's others problems as well...and we still have a problem with BJ's fathers kidney 

Wish this drama has more eps...

I wish this drama would never end :blush:

1 hour ago, triplem said:

These numbers of unresolved issues are on my list, too. Additional I have some minor things that I want too see.  

• In episode 11 when JH kisses BJ for the first time, he wears the white sneakers that SH gave to him. Would be interesting to see when SH mentions in front of BJ that he wears them regularl.

In a moment of boredom I checked that, because I remembered that JH received a pair of sneakers from his aunt/uncle aswell. So I made screenshots and compared the shoes he wears in the moment of kissing with the ones he got from SH respectively his aunt/uncle. SH's are completely white with a ribbon, the one from his "parents" are with a velcron and a little black pattern.  He neither wears SH's nor his parent's one. But while I was investigating I saw the scene where JH unwraps the shoes from SH. In the scene JH mentions that Tae-Kwon is rich, more precisely, his father is rich. So if TK and SO end up together, this could maybe help.

• I want to see what happens to Bang Woon-Ki and his 3000$ dept. As far as I remember, he told Coach Yoon that Coach Choi used the money for his settlement, but he never told him about his son. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Something with the handkerchief of JH's mother. Just as a fanservice. The whole thing between our OTP started with JH losing it. But after the first episode, it was never mentioned again. BJ washed it, so maybe she could gift him one that smells like her.
  • Some information of JH's mother whereabouts 

Archived