[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

2 more articles about the Still Waters run deep actor Yoo:

Yoo Seung Ho turned 23 years old, and Offered Lead Role, in Fantasy Sageuk, Ruler - Master of the Mask.
written by ockoala
http://koalasplayground.com/2016/08/16/yoo-seung-ho-turns-23-years-old-and-offered-lead-role-in-fantasy-sageuk-ruler-master-of-the-mask/#more-76406

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/ockoala/Yoo%20Seung%20Ho/wha2.jpg
(finally something from Koala playground. always interested in what they say as intro.)
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/ockoala/Yoo%20Seung%20Ho/wha.jpg
(cr. koala playground)

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoo Seung Ho’s “Ruler-Master of the Mask” Courting MBC as the Network of Choice

yoo-seung-ho2

Ahhhh this is casting news of the week. I don’t even know where to start with this, since there is so much development in such a short amount of time. First, Yoo Seung Ho (“Remember”) has officially been added to “Ruler-Master of the Mask.” Second, the drama is reportedly still being shopped around, however sources are saying that the series will most likely end up on MBC, since it has added PD Sohn Hyung Sik (Shine or Go Crazy).

The Segeuk drama is a story about a powerless 18th century Crown Prince, who fights against a group of powerful and wealthy officials in an attempt to take back power and control of his country. The series is currently being considered for the Wednesday/Thursday time slot and will  begin shooting sometime in December for a premier date in March.

The actor is definitely not an easy guy to get for a drama. Since wrapping up “Remember” earlier in the year, he has been offered countless leading roles, including the soon to be premiering “The Man Living in Our House.” Obviously this historical drama has something that peaked his interest, and that makes me very interested as well. I am waiting patiently for more news on this project.

(there was an article i posted just now, found that it was an old article, so i took down and replace by this. since i don't know how to completely delete an existing article.)

4 hours ago, Berou said:

it's been a while nice to see you here, it's funny how as soon as YSH makes his return, his fans come out from  hibernation haha. For now no info about cast, characters or the writer. the PD is the now who directed shine or go crazy  and two weeks ,  it's likely to be broadcasted on mbc.

i thought i was gonna die from waiting for news of ysh T_T

:)  Hi Everyone!  This sounds like a promising upcoming drama and it helps that the lead actor is one of my fav!  Definitely keeping an eye out for this.  Hope to hear more exciting news as we approach the day it premiers. 

I can't wait!  

On 10/18/2016 at 11:33 AM, miye0n said:

im also hoping the actress will be either han hyo joo, kim jiwon, kim so eun, or oh yeon seo, shes charming.

@Berou @miye0n @jongski the female lead is at present the most crucial matter of great importance ... so far, Yoo has yet to have produce a uniquely signature OTP that everyone deem as his personal Best Couple- castings thus far. really hope even if they throw in a noona romance, it shall be something like a saegeuk version of 'I Can Hear your Voice", throw in a slightly more mature but still believable female that can act very well... hope for once, stop casting in "Pretty/Young/Famous" idol-stars as lead, but someone even Yoo can oozed chemistry off scenes, in bts moments, someone Yoo can like in his own personal being, that he enjoy sizzling up with during the bts moments. i want Yoo to fall in love like in real life. the real life experience. (funny thing is whenever i googled, about Yoo and couple shipping, its always Yoo as Woon in Warriro Baek Dongsoo, him and ji Changwook in 'tragic romantic fan art")... ok, i think i really want a real OTP shipping of Yoo with a believable girl please.

i guess most of us, has our own diff ways of passing his oft times Hibernation period. (esp the sunbaes yoopies who follow him for a long time, i am not very long). and i guess truth be told, that many of us does not have just one single Favourite Star, some has a few, so while he hibernated to rest and chose his projects wisely. maybe because Yoo unlike other Stars that he alone don't have any social sites, (no instagram, twitter, facebook...etc.), so when he hibernate, we also go hibernate while waiting for him. no choice.  its good for us also, so we can also watch the other favourite Actors that we liked also, since some of us already attain noonas-status, we should have some other Favourite Actors/actresses, instead of just one only. But Yoo is unmovable, he still stick to his gun, refused to use social sites to woo fans. But it shall always be the same case, when he scale the summit and torch his beacon, we will gather from 4 corners, as usual.
miye0n, didn't know you also like Han Hyojoo. both Han Hyojoo and Park Minyoung are my favs. Minyoung already acted with him, and HHJ.. have a feeling it won't happen !

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/274165/20161017/yoo-seung-ho-star-crown-prince-upcoming-period-drama-ruler-master-mask.htm

upcoming period drama 'Ruler - Master of the Mask'
By Carlo Rodriguez | October 17
Actor Yoo Seung Ho High Cut Magazine Vol. 156 Photoshoot Fashion

It had only been a year since actor Yoo Seung Ho was seen in the small screen but a year may seem like a lifetime for devoted fans who are anticipating the return of their beloved actor. Luckily for his fans though, Yoo Seung Ho will be gracing the television screen once again as he stars in the upcoming period drama 'Ruler: Master of the Mask."

It should be known that Ruler: Master of the Mask has not been finalized as the series' final title as of yet but according to reports, it will be a historical melodrama which is set in the 18th century. Here, Yoo Seung Ho will play the role of a crown prince who becomes the hope of the people as he battles a powerful secret organization that has been controlling the country from behind the scenes. The said organization has attained power and wealth by greedily privatizing water, an already scarce resource in the country, thus making the people suffer. Get ready to watch Yoo Seung Ho's character strive through the challenges and grow into the kind of ruler his people need him to be. 

Yoo Seung Ho will be starring as a crown prince in upcoming drama Ruler: Master of the Mask.

Reports say that the period drama wasn't the only offer that the 23-year old had received. However, he chose to accept the role as he had been captivated not only by the script but by the character he has been chosen to play as well. In preparation for his role, Seung Ho would have to strengthen his body as well as gain a good understanding of his character. 

The 23-year old actor was captivated by the script as well as the character he will portray.

Yoo Seung Ho isn't new to the acting scene. In fact, he started acting at a very young age and gained prominence in the 2002 film 'The Way Home.' The actor has received various awards and prizes for the roles that he has portrayed over the years from different award giving bodies. His most recent role to date is in the film 'Seondal: The Man Who Sells the River' where he portrayed the titular character. He also played a lawyer with hyperthymesia in the MBC TV series 'Remember - War of the Son.'

Written by Park Hye-Jin, Ruler: Master of the Mask is scheduled to premiere sometime in the first half of 2017 on MBC while filming will begin in December after the roles have been finalized.

On 10/18/2016 at 5:56 PM, maryofbethany said:

[.....]

so while he hibernated to rest and chose his projects wisely. maybe because Yoo unlike other Stars that he alone don't have any social sites, (no instagram, twitter, facebook...etc.), so when he hibernate, we also go hibernate while waiting for him. no choice.  its good for us also, so we can also watch the other favourite Actors that we liked also, since some of us already attain noonas-status, we should have some other Favourite Actors/actresses, instead of just one only. But Yoo is unmovable, he still stick to his gun, refused to use social sites to woo fans. But it shall always be the same case, when he scale the summit and torch his beacon, we will gather from 4 corners, as usual.

Couldn't love him any better! . YSH  acting is a goldmine! Best young actor IMHO.

YSH will one day win an award. Best actor award.  Not popularity award- the others can  have that. A real best actor award where acting skills  is recognized!

Some day, I want to see YSH in a drama with JI Sung. Imagine brilliance of these actors! an acting coup?!

I'll be waiting for updates.for this dramas. Thanks y'all

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/44182/20161020/top-5-korean-dramas-in-2017-that-are-expected-to-make-it-big.htm

Top 5 Korean Dramas In 2017 That Are Expected To Make It Big

"

"Ruler: Master of the Mask" - MBC

Another historical drama is set to hit the small screen in 2017 through "Ruler: Master of the Mask." A story set in the 1700s, the crowned prince Lee Sun (Yoo Seung-Ho of "Queen Seondeok") is tasked to fight Pyunsoo hwe, an organization that gained its power and wealth by selfishly privatizing the water sources all over Joseon. Ga-Eun (who is yet unnamed) is Lee Sun's love interest who will help him grow as a good ruler.

The show's production is set to start filming in December, but its premiere date is still unconfirmed."
(taken from article above)

1 hour ago, chelleshawol said:

@maryofbethany Hi unnie! Miss you. Thanks for the mention. I'm getting excited for this drama since I've read an article that he was considering taking up the role. And of course YSH is so handsome in hanbok :wub: I'm getting hype! 

@chelleshawolhaha. i was thinking next Feb, may see you at this thread. good enough, remember to drop by. btw, what are u watching now? SH should be finishing right? K2?

tc3a2nc483rul-pinc89b-seong-jong_king-an

"the King and I"

actually some times back, i was just joking that he will make a good crown prince, when Park Bo gum was taking up Moonlight. Yoo has acted in many gaeguk dramas, even acted as Crown prince. he was Crown Prince Kim Chunchu , he was very young then about 16 yrs old, he  also display Chunchu that kinda of cunning looks, and royal airs.

yoo-seung-ho-queen-seondeok.jpg?w=640

"Queen Seondeok;" him and Park EunBin, (cr, yukcus )

391717_324112794344870_2012882509_n.jpeg
"Arrang and the Magistrate"( cr. Viki Blog )

0be2e077a196ba3bb4755fe2d9dc5ab02c086b1d

"Warrior BDS", nobody who know Yoo don't know "woon". (cr. Amino Apps)

joeseon-magician.jpg
"Joseon Magician" (cr. Jen'sKdrama N Movie Planet )
1a83.png?w=328&h=139&crop=1
(cr. WordPress.com)

[Ruler: Master of the Mask?] : highly anticipating!

https://kdramakisses.com/2016/10/22/yoo-seung-ho-to-star-in-korean-drama-ruler-master-of-the-mask/

Yoo Seung Ho to Star in Korean Drama Ruler: Master of the Mask

Posted on October 22, 2016

Yoo Seung Ho (Remember: War of the Son) has been confirmed to be starring in the new sageuk drama Ruler: Master of the Mask.  Ruler: Master of the Mask is about a Joseon prince who fights against injustice in society by going up against a shadow organization wanting to privatize the waters of Joseon.

I’m so glad Yoo Sung Ho accepted this role, and I really look forward to seeing him in a sageuk. I know he will do wonderful as our crown prince fighting corruption and helping his people.

Ruler: Master of the Mask is looking to air in early 2017.

https://kdramakisses.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/imaginary-cat-yoo-seung-ho-e1465485105809.jpg

http://bodashiri.tumblr.com/post/151991440111/ruler-master-of-the-mask-2017

Ruler : Master of the Mask (2017)

Upcoming Korean historic  al drama / movie (2016~2017)  # 04

Ruler : Master of the Mask  (2017, MBC)

• Official English Title : Not confirmed
  • Korean Title : 군주 : 가면의 주인
  • Period : Joseon Dynasty, 18th century
  • Director : Son Hyeong-Seok 손형석 (Shine or Go Crazy 빛나거나 미치거나)
  • Writer : Park Hye-Jin 박혜진
  • Cast : Yoo Seung-Ho 유승호
  • Genre : Faction (Fact + Fiction)
  • Air Date : TBA (2017 MBC)

This is the story of Crown Prince Yi Seon (played by Yoo Seung-Ho) who fights against Pyeon-soo-hwe (편수회), an organization that has gained power and wealth through privatizing water all over Joseon in the 1700s.

Actually, there exit only one Crown Prince with the name of Yi Seon (이선 李愃) in the history  : Crown Prince Sado (사도세자 思悼世子, 1735~1762) who is famous for being killed by his father King Youngjo. Have you ever seen Korean movie The Throne (사도 思悼, 2015) starring Yoo Ah-In (유아인) or Secret Door (2015 SBS drama) starring Lee Je-Hoon (이제훈)? That’s him.

However, I don’t know yet if Yoo Seung-Ho’s character is really Crown Prince Sado or not.

On 23/10/2016 at 9:42 AM, maryofbethany said:

http://bodashiri.tumblr.com/post/151991440111/ruler-master-of-the-mask-2017

Ruler : Master of the Mask (2017)

Upcoming Korean historic  al drama / movie (2016~2017)  # 04

MOD EDIT: do not quote images

Ruler : Master of the Mask  (2017, MBC)

• Official English Title : Not confirmed
  • Korean Title : 군주 : 가면의 주인
  • Period : Joseon Dynasty, 18th century
  • Director : Son Hyeong-Seok 손형석 (Shine or Go Crazy 빛나거나 미치거나)
  • Writer : Park Hye-Jin 박혜진
  • Cast : Yoo Seung-Ho 유승호
  • Genre : Faction (Fact + Fiction)
  • Air Date : TBA (2017 MBC)

This is the story of Crown Prince Yi Seon (played by Yoo Seung-Ho) who fights against Pyeon-soo-hwe (편수회), an organization that has gained power and wealth through privatizing water all over Joseon in the 1700s.

Actually, there exit only one Crown Prince with the name of Yi Seon (이선 李愃) in the history  : Crown Prince Sado (사도세자 思悼世子, 1735~1762) who is famous for being killed by his father King Youngjo. Have you ever seen Korean movie The Throne (사도 思悼, 2015) starring Yoo Ah-In (유아인) or Secret Door (2015 SBS drama) starring Lee Je-Hoon (이제훈)? That’s him.

However, I don’t know yet if Yoo Seung-Ho’s character is really Crown Prince Sado or not.

Oh wow!, I hope this is not the case...If I'm not mistaken, this prince Sado had a possible mental illness since he was 10 years old. His later life was very sicked and twisted. He started a career of a serial killer and a rapist at the age of 21 or 22 years old. He was put to death by his father at the age of 27. At some point, they said that the palace had to dispose of several bodies everyday cause of him. Are you sure this is the prince they want to idolize as a hero in this drama?.

1 hour ago, Berou said:

i've looked at the date the story is supposed to take place, it's in the 18th century. Prince Sado lived at that time ( 1735-1762).  king sukjong was born in the second half of the 17th century ( 1661 if i  remember correctly) and died in the beginning of the 18th. So, if the younger version of a future king is portrayed, the chances are greater he is Prince Sado. Dramas are dramas, some differ greatly from facts, so it is possible that he will be whitewashed. He will be depicted as victim of a complot made by his ennemies to eliminate him, all the rapes, murders, mental disease will be turned  into as a mere rumour. my 2 cents.

according to wiki:

According to historical documents, primarily those written by his wife in the Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong, Sado was insane and violent, and was a serial rapist and killer. He was deemed unfit to rule, but court rules forbade Yeongjo from directly killing royalty. So Yeongjo issued a royal decree that ordered Sado to climb into and be sealed within a large wooden rice chest on a hot July day in 1762. After eight days, Sado died of suffocation and starvation at age 27. In the 19th century,conspiracy theories arose that Sado had not been mentally ill, but had pushed for revolutionary changes and thus his political opponents had framed him for crimes he did not commit. The circumstances surrounding his death continue to be an issue of debate among Korean historian.[1]

btw, his son (  of prince sado) was born Yi San , Sun and San sound pretty close. he also became the king of joseon. sometimes the romanisation of hangul is not correctly done, we need to wait to get all the characters info and their name in hangul.

The original website that the name 'crown prince Yi Seon' is a fan website. I think I will wait for more official information to come out. Other websites only list as 'crown prince Lee Sun'.

On 10/14/2016 at 2:23 AM, ddeokbokkii said:

I was actually hoping that Yoo will be the younger version of Lee San. The fee in prince son of Sado tj r disposed and executed Prince, sado case was very famous in the negative sense. Even if we want to see him in the light of the skeptics who question the authenticity of questionable historic account . There is always a minor camp e.g. Belieeve he was persecuted and framed. Yet he likely don't look like a prone that successful secure water for the commoners. Its will be likely the Son Lee Sun who passed in history as one of the beast King in history. And also sufferred about 7 or 9 near assassinations arranged by the evil Queen.mother. The very.little.info except the name was given can only led to blogger and fans speculate. So, nothing is confirms since quite a handful King sound almost the same name as Lee Sun, Lee San. Lee San.. ..

11 hours ago, Berou said:

i've looked at the date the story is supposed to take place, it's in the 18th century. Prince Sado lived at that time ( 1735-1762).  king sukjong was born in the second half of the 17th century ( 1661 if i  remember correctly) and died in the beginning of the 18th. So, if the younger version of a future king is portrayed, the chances are greater he is Prince Sado. Dramas are dramas, some differ greatly from facts, so it is possible that he will be whitewashed. He will be depicted as victim of a complot made by his ennemies to eliminate him, all the rapes, murders, mental disease will be turned  into as a mere rumour. my 2 cents.

according to wiki:

According to historical documents, primarily those written by his wife in the Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong, Sado was insane and violent, and was a serial rapist and killer. He was deemed unfit to rule, but court rules forbade Yeongjo from directly killing royalty. So Yeongjo issued a royal decree that ordered Sado to climb into and be sealed within a large wooden rice chest on a hot July day in 1762. After eight days, Sado died of suffocation and starvation at age 27. In the 19th century,conspiracy theories arose that Sado had not been mentally ill, but had pushed for revolutionary changes and thus his political opponents had framed him for crimes he did not commit. The circumstances surrounding his death continue to be an issue of debate among Korean historian.[1]

btw, his son (  of prince sado) was born Yi San , Sun and San sound pretty close. he also became the king of joseon. sometimes the romanisation of hangul is not correctly done, we need to wait to get all the characters info and their name in hangul.

@Berou @ddeokbokki history some times are not always very accurate in some rare cases... there will always be the sad truth that certain crucial evidences or witnesses were destroyed or silent for good... thru out history, we can only trust historicans when actually each historican just eccho each the others... sometimes all come from one or two single sources... 
i do not dare to say Sado is 'just' or 'unjustly' killed. since i don't major in history, and even present history teachers cannot be sure. one thing i know, the LORD GOD who allowed such injustice to past, will carry forth the just ends in heaven, vengeance be His alone. (hahah. nuff of my biblical exhortation.)
Identity of Yoo's role, even in diff article, some call him Lee Sun, some call him Lee Seon... it just never be sure... until the MBC announce which king he will be. even if i go wiki. the result is so confusing.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monarchs_of_Korea

Yi Sun

이순 (李焞)

1674–1720

Myeongbo (C)

Sukjong (T)

숙종 (肅宗, T)

Yi Yun

이윤 (李昀)

1720–1724

Hwiseo (C)

Gyeongjong (T)

경종 (景宗, T)

Yi Geum

이금 (李昑)

1724–1776

Gwangsuk (C)
Yangseongheon (Ps)

Yeongjo (T)

영조 (英祖, T)

Yi San

이산 (李祘)

1776–1800

Hyeongun (C)
Hongjae (Ps)

Jeongjo (T)

정조 (正祖, T)

you see, he can be either Yi Sun,King Sukjong. Or Yi San, King Jeongjo. But the article which i put up saying he might be Crown Prince Sado, but Crown Prince Sado has never become King, it skipped him because he was killed in the rice box as stated at Berou's article. i actually watched quite many saeguk dramas, among them, dramas that were related to the tale of Sukjong the

"

regarding the granddad Yeongjo (the Son of Dongyi, in Dongyi's drama), there's some references to water been scarce during his reign. and the rising of catholicism which Yeongjo deem as cult.

" Yeongjo was the first to take action against Roman Catholic activities in the country. By the 18th century, Catholicism was beginning to acquire a following especially in the Gangwon and Hwanghae provinces. In 1758, Yeongjo officially outlawed Catholicism as an evil practice. " (cr. wiki)
it might be some link to some fear of teh arising awareness of Western culture and religion creep in, and the 'mental' state of Sado been exergerated.. due to his interest in catholicism ...Yeongjo outlawed Catholicism to secure Joseon traditions and culture. the power struggles between Queen Jeongsun and young Crown prince (grandson of Yeongjo) were very interesting drama plots, as King Jeongjo (Yi San) were one of the most persecuted Crown prince at that turbulent periods among all reigns from King Taejo to King Sunjong.  Yi San (king Jeongjo) has a good assistant and friend and best advisor in Hong Guk-yeong. for those fans who like Bromance and Brotherhood friendship. what pass between Yi San and his good friend Hong Guk-yeong, can be ficitonalised to be good drama. of cause later on Yi San has to executed Hong Guk Yeong for his greed and try to usurp power using his sister as concubine... etc.
while i don't find any great acchivement of Yi Sun, King Sukjong, the Great Grand-father of YiSan (King Jeongjo)... and he  Sukjong is being portrayed by far too many actors which outstanding deliverance. so i really wish it shall not be Sukjong, and being the more likely 'villain' king that Sado is, i also wish Yoo will not portray Sado.
like some of you, actually from the beginning when this news broke out about the likeliness of Yoo acting as a "Lee San" or "Lee Sun'.. .. i actually quietly hope it is this Yi San , King Jeongjo. He did has an outstanding history after successfully clearing Sado's Name. He the one build Hwaseong Fortress, to guard royal tombs, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. He believed in great reformation, and led some changes, build Kyujanggak (royal library) , allowing not just the noble or royal relatives to study or seek knowledges, or also allowed the talent but lower social status. He build a strong support of scholars.

regarding contemporary accounts or popdrama's info for King Jeongjo: (seen all 4 dramas)
1)He was the king behind drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal , who trusted in reformed culture and equality between men, apart from their social status. One thing you should be interested is Warrior Baek Dong soo that king is exactly King Jeongjo.
2)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Baek_Dong-soo.
Warrior Baek Dong soo. "
Based on the 2010 comic Honorable Baek Dong-soo by Lee Jae-heon, the series is about how Joseon historical figure Baek Dong-soo grew to become a swordsman and folk hero. Baek was one of the three authors of Muyedobotongji, a pivotal martial arts work commissioned by King Jeongjo. "
3) But i think the best drama to watch while waiting for Yoo's version, is Lee Seojin's take at "Yi San", which is produced by the same team who delivered Dae Jang geum.
4) "Painter of the Wind", Jeongjo also depicted as a wise good king who loved cultures and arts.

i 'scan' thru those kings around 1700 - 1800+.. the most promising is only Sukjong and Jeongjo. Sado will make a very painful heart-rending melodrama, which may bring Yoo's his first Daeksang Excellence Actor award.. but Sado is not recorded as a 'good king' that benefit commoners, the most they can argue he died unjustly, but cannot argue he benefit the country, (The Secret Door was a sad but very good takes of Sado.).  i will root for Jeongjo, if they want epic drama in the like of Dae Jang Geum and Yi San, after the flop of Hwajung (which actually was quite nice because of Cha Seungwon), and Flower in Prison (i stopped after first 5 eps).

below a list of famous monarchs and the dramas related to them:
http://www.dramasrok.com/2012/02/chart-joseon-kings-related-dramas-info/

this articles relate a short history by linking a few dramas in chronological orders.:
https://thetalkingcupboard.com/2013/05/04/rulers-of-the-joseon-dynasty-and-kdrama-interpretations/

list of dramas set during Joseon periods:
http://mydramalist.com/list/z1dOpWv4

after scanning thru a short reads on Joseon Eras Dramas. this is what i guess will help you gals, to stir up interest, be it Yoo's characters be not Sukjong or Jeongjo or Sado... it will be a good understanding of what princes went thru, for those never ever interested in saeguk dramas. myself a saegeuk dramas lover.

Archived