[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

On 11/15/2016 at 2:47 AM, AuroraM said:

I think the other casts including YeongJo and Lady HyeGyeong will be announced soon. Hope that good actor/actress will take those roles. After Sado's death she came out of the imperial palace and live as a normal woman. Yet she turned crazy then.

About the PD-nim, he did a good job in drama "2 weeks" but his experiences on "Saguk" drama make me confused too. =)) I dont worry much abt the writernim, because this is her first drama. All Writernim always do their best in the first time.

@maryofbethany You should watch Iljmae (Lee Jun Ki version), Six Flying Dragons. For the movies, Lee Yoon Ik PD's Saguk movies are worth watching.

@AuroraM. Yeah. I watch all those u mentioned. Lee junki (or Lee JoonGi?) I watch most of LJG Saeguk: Iljimae, Scholar walk Night, Joseon Gun man, ScarletH, just that i am not into him badly, so I never chat at these drama forums. So did I watch MoonLight. 6 Flying Dragons. Yes. If Ruler goes the way of 6 F. D. will be more closed to Yoo's specialties n bring put his Best.

Unless He really totally let go and mesmerized as a dark mysterious masked SuperHero like LJK, Yoo cannot carry those LJG kind of "Hero-Saeguk" like Iljimae or Bridal Mask. LJG is super good in fighting w sword or combat...Yoo not proven yet that he is 'broadway-dramatic' like LJG.
On the other hand, he also trying.to break out from his Nation Little Brother image. Don't think he want to do "Webtoon-Saeguk", so he won't go sweet and charming-Princely like Sungkyunkwan Scandals or Moonlight drawn by clouds. Neither will I see him do a "comical-saeguk" like his own recent "Kim Sundial" or "Shine or Go Crazy"... Neither can "time-travel-supernatural-aaeguk" like Faith or Scarlet H suit him.

I guess the most luminous genre that can bring put his BEST will be the Deep Rooted Tree, Six Flying Dragon, the King and I, Lee San Wind of Palace, DongYi, Ballad Of the Prince, Painter of the Wind, Dae Jang Geun, That genre is something that only Yoo can Mastered in comparison to most of his peers who best suited mostly Flowerboy Prince roles. (Talking about actor around his age.) Once he stand in the distance speechless, a gaze at his side profile of lonely back, you immediately can feel the aura of a unfavored, weary, lonely, Prince.

Just picture this scene: in the dark of the night at royal garden backyard , distanced faint "Gong" sound echo signified the night curfew at that distanced streets outside the palace wall, cold steel eyes of a watchful owl perched above trees, a pale full moon hanging, some petals dropping to silent ground, lotus pond still without a ripple feared to stir the forlorn image of a spirit wasted and worn our Prince, signing, trying to gather whatever strength he can get from some memories,... Missing her and trying to let go of the girl who returned him that bracelet in his hand... That tears at the corner slided down his cheek dangling at his side, leaving a trace of dried freezes tear marks from corners of his misty eyes down..... he whispered "Ga eun-ya, eo-di-se-yo?"...

And you find that Prince is none other than Yoo (hereby you know there in dramaland, no other Actor but Seungho Yoo can carry such a dialogue-less / motion-less scene to such depth, to what height.... effortlessly.)

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@AuroraM

" According to what you said above, i think that this is a really sad love story. And the most important is that there are not many Skinship, kisses, or fanservice. Cause Lee Ga Eun seems to be the girl who keeps her love deep down inside and so does Sado. However i believe we all can feel and melt for their love. "

There are just quote from historical fact, it will be up to the writer pen-ship & dramatic licensing to provide us the entertainment

Great that you are searching information about her.....it will provide you great insights 

@maryofbethany

" 思悼 世子 in chinese exactly means to commemorate a late beloved one. "

There is a 1998 MBC drama  대왕의 길 – Path to Great Dynasty (MBC, 1998).  I bought this DVD because there was an actual portrait of Choi Sukbin feature in the drama 

It is good watch somewhat dry than the present trend of historical drama...that portrays the political adversaries between Yeongjo & Crown Prince Sado. Crown Prince Sado had too big a shoes to fill & the high expectation & standard of his father

As for Lady Hyegyeong, she chose her son over her husband, therefore her memoirs maybe dismissed as Noron Propaganda but her writing does give you an insight how rigid & decorum palace life is in Joseon Dynasty

13 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

@AuroraM. Yeah. I watch all those u mentioned. Lee junki (he changed name till I don't know how to spell his latest Lee JoonGi?) I watch most of LJG Saeguk , Iljimae, Scholar walk Night, Joseon Gun man, ScarletH, just that i am not into him badly, so I never chat at these drama forums. So did I watch MoonLight. 6 Flying D, I also watched. Yes. If Ruler goes the way 6 Flying D will be more closed to Yoo's specialties n bring put his Best. Unless He really totally let go and mesmerized as a dark mysterious masked SuperHero like LJK, Yoo cannot carry those LJG kind of "Hero-Saeguk" like Iljimae or Bridal Mask. LJG is super good in fighting w sword or combat...yoo not proven he is dramatic like LJG. On the other hand, he also trying.to break out from his Nation Little Brother image. Don't think he want to do "webtoon-Saeguk", so he won't go sweet and charming-Princely like Sungkyunkwan Scandals or Moonlight drawn by clouds. I won't see him do back a "comical-comical-saeguk" like his own recent "Kim Sundial" or "Shine or Go Crazy"... Neither can "time-travel-supernatural-aaeguk" like Faith or ScarletH suit him.

I guess the most luminous genre that can bring put his BEST will be the Deep Rooted Tree, Six Flying Dragon, the King and I, Lee San Wind of Palace, DongYi, Ballad Of the Prince, Painter of the Wind, Dae Jang Geun, That kind is something that only Yoo can Mastered on compared to most of his peers who so mostly Fkowerboy Prince roles. (Talking about actor around his age.) Once he stand in the distance speechless, a gaze at his side profile of lonely back, you immediately can feel the aura of a unfavored, weary, lonely, Prince.

Just image that scene , in the dark of the night at royal garden backyard , distanced faint "Gong" of the night curfew sound echo at that distanced street outside the palace wall, cold steel eyes of a watchful owl perched above trees, a clear full moon hanging, some petals dropping to silent ground, lotus pond still without a ripple feared to stir the forlorn image of a spirit wasted and worn our Prince, signing , trying to gather whatever strength he can get from some memories,... Missing and trying to let go of the girl who returned him that bracelet in his hand... That tears at the corner slide down his cheek dangling at his cheek, leaving a trace of dried freezes tear marks from corners of his misty eyes down.....

And you find that Prince is none other than Yoo (thereby you know there in dramaland, no other Actor but Seungho Yoo can.carry such a dialogue-less Silent scene effortlessly.)

@maryofbethany Just Like You, I also found that Yoo is not suitable to Hero types, however, what i wanna say here is the way PDnim did in Iljimae, Painter of The Wind, or Six Flying Dragons, and the drak atmosphere but not the characteristics neither actors. Talk about what gerne that Yoo would love to join in, its a kick-richard simmons type, or any movies/dramas with the mad, psycho, complex or hardcore characters. Yoo never choose the same character for his next project. Thats why he chose Sado. Sado is absolutely different from Jin Woo, Harry, Yeo Woon, Chun Chu in his previous dramas.

Yet I also wish that one day Yoo Could join a film of PD Lee Yoon Ik (The Throne - Sado, King and The Clown, Hope,.....) When the press announced that Yoo joined Ruler, I'm not only happy but also worried alot. Cause Yoo Ah In is so amazing in The Throne. The role of Sado also bring to him the best actor award in Blue Dragon. Thus, Yoo Ah In also became the youngest actors who win that prize in history of Korean Film Industry.

And I think Sado in this upcoming drama will be a special character who may get mad, be stress, or even kill people around but deep down inside hes a good person, a good son, a good husband. Hes too good to die while living under the feudal system. If you have time, you can try searching for the differences in political views between Yeong Jo And Sado. I'm sure you will be mesmerized again =)).  Yeong Jo had spent many years in his life for "Magnificent Harmony" Policy (Tangpyeong, 蕩平, 탕평) - the policy which Sado fought against. As what @gerrytan8063 said " Crown Prince Sado had too big a shoes to fill & the high expectation & standard of his father ".

However, its not led up to the drama that Sado really loved his father so much. The more he loved his father, the more he disappointed and even turned crazy becuase of that. I believe this drama not only talks abt the relationship between Sado and Ga Eun but also the complex one between him and his father well. And above all, its abt the fights between Sado and everything beloging to terrible feudal reign.

@jongski " I want this drama dark.. full of heart, passion, and grit. "

Totally agree with you.

We love the casts and can't wait to watch the drama.

I don't mind dark drama and I am sure this drama will be alot of passion with 2 great actors.

Really can't wait. I will prepare for heart broken for the 2nd time. this year 2016 ML and for the next year I don't know,maybe this drama could make me heart broken again :) 

YSH and KSY are kind of actors who can easly make us cry/sad... 

On 11/15/2016 at 0:51 PM, AuroraM said:

@maryofbethany Just Like You, I also found that Yoo is not suitable to Hero types, however, what i wanna say here is the way PDnim did in Iljimae, Painter of The Wind, or Six Flying Dragons, and the drak atmosphere but not the characteristics neither actors. Talk about what gerne that Yoo would love to join in, its a kick-richard simmons type, or any movies/dramas with the mad, psycho, complex or hardcore characters. Yoo never choose the same character for his next project. Thats why he chose Sado. Sado is absolutely different from Jin Woo, Harry, Yeo Woon, Chun Chu in his previous dramas.

Yet I also wish that one day Yoo Could join a film of PD Lee Yoon Ik (The Throne - Sado, King and The Clown, Hope,.....) When the press announced that Yoo joined Ruler, I'm not only happy but also worried alot. Cause Yoo Ah In is so amazing in The Throne. The role of Sado also bring to him the best actor award in Blue Dragon. Thus, Yoo Ah In also became the youngest actors who win that prize in history of Korean Film Industry.

And I think Sado in this upcoming drama will be a special character who may get mad, be stress, or even kill people around but deep down inside hes a good person, a good son, a good husband. Hes too good to die while living under the feudal system. If you have time, you can try searching for the differences in political views between Yeong Jo And Sado. I'm sure you will be mesmerized again =)).  Yeong Jo had spent many years in his life for "Magnificent Harmony" Policy (Tangpyeong, 蕩平, 탕평) - the policy which Sado fought against. As what @gerrytan8063 said " Crown Prince Sado had too big a shoes to fill & the high expectation & standard of his father ".

However, its not led up to the drama that Sado really love his father so much. The more he loves his father, the more he disappointed and even turn crazy becuase of that. I believe this drama not only talks abt the relationship between Sado and Ga Eun but also the complex one between him and his father well. And above all, its abt the fights between Sado and everything beloging to terrible feudal reign.

@jongski " I want this drama dark.. full of heart, passion, and grit. "

Totally agree with you.

@AuroraM @junghana2104 @jongski @gerrytan8063

" romance, melo and historical drama ( 멜로 사극 ), not a rom-com." thanks God for this!
totally agreed with you that Yoo will not repeat and stay in a genre just because that genre of that kind of role give him fame.... esp now he tried to outgrow his little brother image.. he is challenging himself. . haha. but don't get me wrong too, i do understand that all these 3 dramas has diff style which mesmerized and are top notch saeguk dramas in their diff genre, yes, even saeguk has diff genres (diff forms).. in fact i personally watched all those i mentioned (including these 3, except few like The King's Face... and some i drop half way like Flower of Prison).  Iljimae has created a new genre of Modern SuperHero-Saeguk with almost every eps are like Paintings on the walls... i normally hates guys that 'look like girls", but just couldnt help gaga over him, and hate it so much that he didnt seem to get Han Hyojoo in the end... i was chanting loud for Ijimae 2 during that time...
@gerrytan8063 hmmm.... will surely look into the historical background of Ga Eun.. but right now i hav promised 2 coming projects to take on, to at least spend some time reading something and write about it. will KIV it for further reading. you bet i will surely read, evne if i am lazy not to do so, i will when the show start, i have a habit of trying to find out the historical background of those saeguk dramas i watch.. at least on the basic infor of each characters.

talking about Sado-theme dramas as an award winning themes, and the dramas related that won acting awards:....

1) Lee San, Wind of the Palace, Lee San here is noneother than King Jeongjo, the son of Sado. In fact it is this drama back in 2007 that introduced me to the tragic tale of Sado. by the drama begins, we saw a much aged King Yeongjo, hidding his regrets of having single handedly caused his son to be suffocated in the rice box.. this drama itself portrayed a senior actor Lee Chang Hoon taking the role of the ill fated Sabo, and thru out dramas beside the loveline, it truly about a father trying to right his wrongs in killing his son, and a son trying to give back the honor his late son so worthy of.... short scenes but so shocking that it chill me till now to think of a death by a rice box sentence. drama went on to win MBC Drama Award for both Lead and writernim.

2) While Painter of the Wind is another Art-genre Saeguk, and because it is truly about Artist during the rein of King Jeongjo (none other than Sado's son), and the king want the two artist to search for the late fathers's portraits.. and it was a damned touching and beautfuflly shoot drama...  Moon Geun Young won several awards including Baeksang Art Award, SBS Drama award, Seoul International Drama..etc.

3) cannot don't mention Secret Door, the drama that introduced me to Lee Je Hoon first (before he reached another height by taking on Signal). a minor interesting thing to know, the two leads both Kim Yoo jung and Park Eunbin are both being shipped with Yoo and cited as potential good co-leads for yoo's future dramas. back to the major thing, Secret Door takes on the style of 6 Flying Dragons or Deep Rooted Tree, going for the historical events-faithful and melodrama takes. every eps just churn your heart knowing every steps seems truly working him towards the rice box...  needless to say, it bagged Lee Je Hoon his Acting Award at SBS drama awards, and also Kim Yoojung her New Actor award.

4) Warrior Bae Dongsoo, Yoo's very own Yeo Woon's drama. while in here, Sado is not much of that importance, but we have a very interesting young Jeongjo, and you all should NOT be unfamiliar to this King Jenogjo (being Hong Jong Hyun, the super bad Wang Yo in S.H.). i will not name any award since nothing much related to Sado's memories here.

5) Yoo Ah-in's The Throne.. is the only saeguk drama that i did not watch, that's my list of Sado related dramas/films. this film chiseled Yoo Ah-in's acting skill and propel him beyond just the 'good-looking hunks but cannot act' list. dramas swept tons of awards at all kinds of award shows, Blue Dragon, Korea Association of Film Critics Awards, Grand Bell Awards.. etc.

In short, the theme of the Prince with the posthumous title 'Sado" (meaning "Thinking of with great sorrow and mourning"), never ceased to work it charm in making us think sadly, mesmerized by his tale..... curious about his first love, the one Lady who loved him yet not earned his love, wrote his memoir, and the son finally fought to clear his name... this formula always work, if the writernim wrote a sincere piece enough to churn and minced our heart into pieces, yet without being too overly dramatic until its only styles and grandeur but no depth. if Writernim craft captivating plots and layered characters, and actors themselves churn believable chemistry and stellar acting skills, i think this drama may be on its way to another sweeping of awards with it already grand theme.
One amazing Yoo Seung Ho and Kim So Hyun alone is not enough, please choose the right supporting casts well, and write their character lively and belieable, and all deliver memorable lines. 

sorry folks, i keep writing super long posts, when i am zealous over something, am very bad with self control.

Spoiler

http://www.soompi.com/2016/08/25/top-12-sageuk-k-dramas/
The Top 12 Sageuk K-Dramas
(namely:
Deep rooted Tree
Moon Embracing Sun
Jewel in the Palace
Bridal Mask
Princess' Man
Hong Gil Dong
My Love from the Star
Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Queen In Hyun's Man
Arang & Magistrate*
Great Queen Seon Deok*
Warrior Baek Dong Soo.*
(Yoo acted in 3 of the Soompi chosen list.)

Hi everyone thank you for all of your insight. I love reading about the enriched history about Sado and get a glimpse of what's to expect from YSH's character... I just wonder whether they will bring in the mental health aspect that Sado was known for. I think that would add in many complexities and layers to YSH's character and I hope that it can be done in a way that's unique from other portrayals of Sado. I am personally hoping that this drama would be a combination of The Throne, The Princess' Man, Bridal Mask, and 6 Flying Dragons. I loved 6 Flying Dragons, especially it's unique characters and action scenes (I was actually hoping that this director would be on this drama haha).

@maryofbethanynot a problem with writing the long post! Please keep them coming, I love reading your posts. And yes, supporting casts will need to be stellar too. I have nothing against idols as long as they can act,  but I'm hoping that they will not try to stick someone that can't act just because they're popular. I don't want the person playing Lady Hyegyeong to be reduced to a 2 dimensional character to serve as the love rival to Lee Ga Eun. I mean she was the crown wife of Sado and the mother of Yi san, so she should be a complex character as well. 

I've read some you saying that the "mask" the YSH wear is metaphorical and I think that would be a great approach to it. I also wouldn't mind a more transparent approach where YSH plays a vigilante wth a mask ... kind of like Bridal Mask. It would actually be interesting to see Lee Ga Eun meet the masked hero not knowing that he's the crown prince and fall in love with him that way. And once she learns that he is the same person as the crown prince, she will be torn between getting her revenge or succumbing to her feelings.

15 hours ago, AuroraM said:

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=214&aid=0000697782

MBC news for Ruler. They said that Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho will have a romantic love. However, they also confirm that Ruler will be a romance, melo and historical drama ( 멜로 사극 ), not a rom-com.

Omg! Thumbs up! Thank you drama gods!!!!!!  from the title it self  and the story line, we can  already see this will be strong, character,  full of heart and passion, determination and courage, the will to fight for the people who who suffered under oppression. This drama  will be  dark, gritty, in historical way. I'm so excited for YSH.

YSH will likely give us and show us  what brilliant acting is all about. And after that, I would want  for YSH to be recognized a best actor.  Real award  were acting brilliance is recognized.  I know.. too early but that's how much YSH is the best among his peers.

As for Kim So Hyuun, she's gonna wow us with her acting acting  again. Plus the character is nothing cutesy, she will be Ga-Eun who will be the the one to help shape him and make his grow as a ruler. She'll have strong character. She'll be feisty one? strong one?

And I just wanna says this drama  cannot and should not be compared with MDBC. This drama is totally nothing like that!

PS: I'm still wishing one day to see YSH and Ji Sung together in a drama.. Nothing's impossible. right?!

@jongskiyes, I'm glad they're going with the melodrama and political route. MBC haven't had success with sageuks in a while so hopefully they can go all in with this drama's production. KSH isn't known for playing cutesy/innocent characters, but tough, feisty, and vulnerable characters  so I'm hoping that they won't be giving her a damsel in distress role.  When I first heard about this drama I was actually hoping that she would play the villain since she's very good at them. I'm so happy when she was announced as the lead though. Idk if anyone has seen School 2015, and I'm hoping that her character is a softer version of her character Go Eunbyul. 

YSH is honestly one of the greatest young actors in their 20s so I really hope that this project is something that can propel him further.. He has the charm, visuals, and acting skills that is unique to him. He already had an amazing career as a child actor and I'm really hoping that this project will put him at the very top of the current young actors.

47 minutes ago, an05 said:

YSH is honestly one of the greatest young actors in their 20s so I really hope that this project is something that can propel him further.. He has the charm, visuals, and acting skills that is unique to him. He already had an amazing career as a child actor and I'm really hoping that this project will put him at the very top of the current young actors.

Where acting is concerned,  to me is he is the tops them all and  at age 23 right now, he's the best!   Though he's not (probably) as popular like  the otherse - he doesn't use any social media platform so.. when it's quiet..  we don't hear anything about him.  And it's good cos we always anticipate.

For KSY as mentioned previous pages, I've only seen her in 2 special dramas.  I like her cold  and aloof like feel  to her characters.  I enjoyed the  watching the 3 Kims anyway and their dramas.

@Berou I watched Remember, so I'm shocked that YSH or NGM didn't receive any awards yet. Maybe they will win something at the end of year drama awards. It is frustrating to see some actors get awards they obviously didn't deserve and just because of the popularity of the drama.

And I've been saying that I will keep my expectations low too. I was having a discussion with someone else about the drama and how pre-produced dramas may not bode so well. Because they can't change the script in accordance to audience feedback or how the scenes flow together. Its all for one and they can't go back to film something once everything is done. I Kept saying that I'm wary of a new writer doing a sageuk script. It's a challenge even for experienced writers, so it confused me....I'm honestly not too fond of the PD either... I watched few episodes of Shine or Go Crazy , a historical drama that he directed. It wasn't like horrible (the drama got pretty good ratings, highest being around 16%) but I had some problems with the way he directed the scenes. And the thing is, just based on the cast, everyone has high expectations already. But no matter how good the actors are you need to have a great production team for the drama to do well... 

I'm actually worried that this drama will go head to head with Park Hye Ryun's new drama which has Suzy and LJS in talks to star.  PHR dramas always do well (KSH has been in two of her dramas) so if the time slot overlaps , I think a lot of the viewers may go to that drama.

Sorry for sounding pessimistic, but I really want this drama to be a hit and see something that I haven't seen before in  sageuk. 

9 hours ago, Berou said:

@an05 NGM has more chance to receive an award for best villain, i've noticed his latest dramas are all sbs dramas. is it a coincidence ? it seems SBS likes him.  if suzy is casted,  thenLJS will do all the work,  he will  need to  save the drama alone .no offence to suzy's fans but IMHO, she is not yet a leading lady material, her acting needs some major improving. will the viewers still watch ? UF got less than 10% ratings. so even if the production team is great and competent but if the right actor/actress isn't casted, it is bound to fail.

when looking at the leads alone,  anticipation is built up but when we look at the whole picture, it is less appealing. hope the director doesn't become greedy and tuns into kim kyu tae 2.0 ( this man is the origin of the mess of scarlet heart, drama with huge potential got crumbled by its stupid directing). 

@Berou @an05 @jongski Nam Goong min already got an award at 5th APAN Star Awards, for Remember's role, Best Actor in Miniseries. while he was also nominated at 52 Paeksang Arts Awards for Best Actor, Yoo also got nominated at Apan, but end up nothing... remember to tune in to SBS end of the year, i will post the link at Yoo's thread, if i know the date. let's do a live recap of that SBS Award if possible at either Yoo's thread or Remember's thread. 

Back to Ruler topic, since you mentioned about female cast and Kpop idols, its the trend now to cast Kpop Idols in recent years dramas, and they keep receive projects, when more senior good actresses have to wait very long for next projects... i think they are getting better by the dramas and experiences, because no  matter how overall they can't carry the weigh of certain dramas, yet at certain scenes, these idols did well... at these scenes here and there.... but not a drama overall.
examples as followings :
1. Uee in "Marriage contract" and "High Society" and "Night Light" /
2. IU in "Producer" and "Scarlet Heart" /
3. Suzy in "Uncontrollably Fond" and upcoming new project "While you were sleeping" /
4. Lee Hyeri in "Reply 1988" and "Entertainer" /
5. Yoona in "the K2" and "the King Loves" /
6. Lee YuBi in "Pinocchio" and "Scholar Walks the Night" /
7. Kim Seol-hyun in "Ugly Alert", and "Orange Marmalade"

(pls note, pls don't don't mistaken me for condemning all the above mentioned Kpop actresses, they have nice characters from what i always heard, Yoo himself is a good friend with IU even, so be slow to angry when i mention the above pretty actresses. because they do have some scenes in certain dramas well acted, or having one drama hit jackpot, while the following dramas does not.) which means Idols' performance very much influences by many factors, eg. they can be affected by male-leads, chemistry, lousy lines, lousy character crafting, less screen times.... when young child-actresses make good of whatever lousy situations throw at them. At least we are sure KSH can master this role better than the above mentioned nice young idol-stars. Yoo can rotate back to star with these sweet nice idols when his Ruler project is finished and he gain recognition by international fans first. He also need to hang out and make friends with some same peers like these Kpop idols. Yes, even if he chose to date and fall in love with one of these idols (eg. IU) in real and not just in reel, we will give them the blessings. i just hope at least in reel, the career wise, he can propel to another realm with helps of better stellar acting leads. And we can start shipping the characters in the dramas at least, if their acting compliment each other and chemistry jjang. so far i have no one that i deem worthy to ship with him, in all his past dramas and acting, coz anyway he's still too young then.

but for Yoo, i am biased and selfish, i just need him to have a good OTP for us to ship together with, so i need him with a solid acting actress, youth or not is not a problem, young doesn't mean cannot act, things is that actress must be able to make him comfortable and let go of his hidden emotion and oozes chemistry. i have been saying this in Yoo's own thread for don't know how long, hahha. He is so in need to break out of that mound of Young little brother. yeah, some one mentioned he is the Junior So Ji Sub, then Kim So Hyun is the Junior Son Ye Jin. . hahah.
at least let him erased the Junior image, and propel him to international awareness and popularity first before re-casting him with some sweet Idols in some Rom-Com. you know, the international arena can only be conquer when they can start seeing you in a 'Romantic relationship role" can they can consider you as 'adult", when they start shippinng you with another actresses, then they start remember you, maybe then you will be offered more serious and heavy weigh MOVIE contract that can challenge your acting skill. i like the way Han Hyojoo and some went on to Movies world and won lots of awards for movies and gotten recognized as Stellar acting actress.

Spoiler

https://www.dramafever.com/news/vote-are-yoo-seung-ho-and-so-ji-sub-really-celebrity-lookalikes-/

Are Yoo Seung Ho and So Ji Sub really celebrity lookalikes?

http://www.soompi.com/2016/07/03/son-ye-jin-talks-resemblance-kim-hyun/

Son Ye Jin Talks About Her Resemblance With Kim So Hyun

by the way, Yoona and Siwon's "The King loves" is another Saeguk coming out around the same time. they will start filming next month. Do note Joon Won's "My Sassy Girl" with Oh YeonSeo also coming out next year. So is "Saimdong Light's Diary" another Saeguk.
Means 4 Saeguks in 4 diff Saeguk-genres around the same timing, cater to the diff types of fans, from the "Kpop teen-fans to the noonas fans to the ahjummahs fans.

So far we only know two main leads and director, writer and a simple synopsis, nothing more has been revealed. Im eager to see the full casts and production team set up quickly. For the cast as all of you mentioned it would be best to have quality actors and actresses to support Seung Ho and So Hyun to deliver their best. Im not too worried about writer even he/she is new but rather worried about whenever this show will be pre produced or when will it be premiered. I think it will be best if they shoot early then have enough time to film while the drama already air. That wouldn't be too much to ask right?

54 minutes ago, maryofbethany said:

@Berou @an05 @jongski Nam Goong min already got an award at 5th APAN Star Awards, for Remember's role, Best Actor in Miniseries. while he was also nominated at 52 Paeksang Arts Awards for Best Actor, Yoo also got nominated at Apan, but end up nothing... remember to tune in to SBS end of the year, i will post the link at Yoo's thread, if i know the date. let's do a live recap of that SBS Award if possible at either Yoo's thread or Remember's thread. 

Back to Ruler topic, since you mentioned about female cast and Kpop idols, its the trend now to cast Kpop Idols in recent years dramas, and they keep receive projects immediately after their recent show finished, when more senior good actresses have to wait very long for next projects, eg as followings :
Uee in "Marriage contract" and "High Society" /
IU in "Producer" and "Scarlet Heart" /
Suzy in "Uncontrollably Fond" and upcoming new project "While you were sleeping" /
Lee Hyeri in "Reply 1988" and "Entertainer" /
Yoona in "the K2" and "the King Loves".

(pls note, pls don't don't mistaken me for condamning all the above mentioned Kpop actresses, they have nice characters from  what i always heard, Yoo himself is a good friend with IU even, so be slow to angry when i mention the above pretty actresses. because they do have some scenes in certain dramas well acted, or having one drama hit jackpot, while the following dramas does not.) which means Idols' performance very much influzences by many factors, eg. they can be affected by male-leads, chemistry, lousy lines, lousy character crafting, less screen times.... when young child-actresses make good of whatever lousy situations throw at them.
its almost like back to back for some Kpop idols, so i was really afraid but dare not mentioned, that they will cast these few still growing Kpop idols.. i think they are getting better by the dramas and experiences, because no  matter how overall they can't carry the weigh of certain dramas, yet at certain scenes, these idols did well... at this scenes here and there....

but for Yoo, i am biased and selfish, i just need him to have a good OTP for us to ship together with, so i need him with a solid acting actress, youth or not is not a problem, young doesn't mean cannot act, things is that actress must be able to make him comfortable and let go of his hidden emotion and oozes chemistry. i have been saying this in Yoo's own thread for don't know how long, hahha. He is so in need to break out of that mound of Young little brother. yeah, some one mentioned he is the Junior So Ji Sub, then Kim So Hyun is the Junior Son Ye Jin. . hahah.
at least let him erased the Junior image, and propel him to international awareness and popularity first before re-casting him with some sweet Idols in some Rom-Com. you know, the international arena can only be conquer when they can start seeing you in a 'Romantic relationship role" can they can consider you as 'adult", when they start shippinng you with another actresses, then they start remember you, maybe then you will be offered more serious and heavy weigh MOVIE contract that can challenge your acting skill. i like the way Han Hyojoo and some went on to Movies world and won lots of awards for movies and gotten recognized as Stellar acting actress.

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.dramafever.com/news/vote-are-yoo-seung-ho-and-so-ji-sub-really-celebrity-lookalikes-/

Are Yoo Seung Ho and So Ji Sub really celebrity lookalikes?

http://www.soompi.com/2016/07/03/son-ye-jin-talks-resemblance-kim-hyun/

Son Ye Jin Talks About Her Resemblance With Kim So Hyun

by the way, Yoona and Siwon's "The King loves" is another Saeguk coming out around the same time. they will start filming next month ago. So is Saimdong Light's Diary, another Saeguk. Means 3 Saeguk in 3 diff Saeguk-genres around the same timing, cater to 3 diff types of fans.

I also liked Seung Ho since his role in God of study but I agree that while his acting is fully regconised and admired, internationally he hasn't been a hit like other Hallyu actors. But he is pretty young and a lot of time ahead. While So Hyun seems to be more regconised on internationally scale, esp since School 2015. I hope this new drama will live up to fans expectation, but somehow I try to keep mine lowkey. At least until I know the full cast and production crew and see Seung Ho and So Hyun in one screen to see how their chemistry will turn out.

1 hour ago, chelleshawol said:

Are there any works that the writer of this drama you know? Or she's a new writer in korean dramas? 

@chelleshawol Son Hyeong Seok, the director did "Shine or go crazy" and 'Two weeks", or LMH's "Personal Taste", " An Angel choice" (watched all the first 3, only Two Weeks and Personal Taste i liked, while SOGC is surely not my ideal of saeguk.)

Writernim Park HyeJin? totally don't know who. when i googled him for few weeks, you know only who pop up in google: Park Hae Jin, hahahha.

7 minutes ago, maryofbethany said:

@chelleshawol Son Hyeong Seok, the director did "Shine or go crazy" and 'Two weeks", or LMH's "Personal Taste", " An Angel choice" (watched all the first 3, only Two Weeks and Personal Taste, while SOGC is surely not my ideal of saeguk.)

Writernim Park HyeJin? totally don't know who. when i googled him for few weeks, you know only who pop up in google: Park Hae Jin, hahahha.

Hi unnie @maryofbethany! Ahh. The director is quite known. I enjoyed his Two Weeks and Personal Taste :)

Maybe Park Hye Jin writer-nim is a new writer?

4 hours ago, lclarakl said:

I'm looking forward to this drama. I love historical dramas and this one seems like it's going to be good. I wonder if it will have a "Moon that Embraces the Sun" feel. Can't wait.

me too ...i can't wait...good to see you here!!!

Okay, MBC already has 3 sageuks to air in the first half of 2017. This one, the one with Yoona and Im Siwan and Traitor Hong Gil Dong just finish casting. Traitor Hong Gil Dong will air first this Jan. HGD just finish casting and they will have their first script reading tomorrow but the comments are pretty negative T.T Fortunately, KSH and YSH is well loved by Koreans so they don't get any negative, nasty comments.

Tbvh, I guess the producing team has all the casts confirm already but they just don't reveal it yet. And if they start filming in Dec then the 1st script reading should happen very soon. I want a strong line-up for the supporting casts. No matter how good the leads are, if the supporting actors aren't up to par then it will break the flow and make it hard for viewers to concentrate on the plot. I want a drama with no acting hole. And last but not least, the PD, please do a good job at directing and editing, the music director too, please don't add music in EVERY scene and choose the right OSTs that fit historical drama, and the most important, the writer, hope her / his first project will receive a good result. Wish MBC don't hype it too much because I don't want them to betray me later :) 

Archived