[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, lilac95 said:

Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho both have that cold beauty image in my honest opinion. Like they seems very unapproachable. But that's image might help them to portray their characters better. Both characters sound really sassy, strong headed but also lonely at the same time. Anw I'm way too excited, there's not much info or photo but I come to this thread everyday T.T

Yes, cold beauties, that's kind of what I was thinking too. Not that their personalities are cold or anything but they seem to like keeping to themselves. Again, I don't know them personally and this is just subjective opinion through what I've seen. They definitely suit tragic characters, as we saw in "I Miss You". They suit head strong, but vulnerable characters. I feel like these two are very similar in terms of work ethic and their passion towards acting. Hopefully they can help each other throughout filming to create a great drama and chemistry.

@Ly Khánhand welcome to the thread! we are all anticipating the drama as well. Let's have good discussions about the drama:)

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Jelly Filan Safi said:

It's was REALLY RIDICULOUS that KYJ's and MDBC's fans said that KSH is not deserve with this role and MBC is trying to copy KBS! REALLY RIDICULOUS!  PBG and KYJ are not the only actor born in 1993 and 1999! KYJ is a talent actress and so does KSH! I'm YSH's fan and I really excited when KSH confirm and don't disagree with all the comparison about them. To all the one who dont like KSH, if you dont like her, you can ignore this drama and, please stop compare them.

About the drama, as you know, there are lot of dramas in Korea each year, and of course they can have some similarities but it's doesnt mean that the later is an copy of the fomer! As I know from some Korea's newspapers, Yoo Seung Ho's role is Lee Seon ( 이선 ), people called him as Sado Prince. He is just a prince and die very young because his father (King Yeongjo ) killed him! Sado life is a tragic story with political struggle, fear and mad. Sado has 3 "wifes" but Lee Ga Eun (Kim So Hyun's role) just a woman he loves, not a wife. She stayed beside Sado but didnt have any baronet until when Sado's son became a King. 

The story of this drama is much different from MDBC! It's a hitorical and tragic drama! 

@Jelly Filan Safi hi, wow... really? Yoo SH is going to be Lee Seon, aka. Sado Prince. you know @ this thread back pages we did mentioned about Sado Prince, you turn to page 4 of this thread. read what @Berou and the rest, said.

if he's doing this, i think he's definitely will make us cry the river that is deep water enough to save water for his nations.  basically the history did NOT write well regarding the figure, mostly reported badly about this crown prince died in a rice box suffocated as a death sentence.
do you have the link to Yoo's role will be Lee Seon ?

@Ly Khánh  Yoo has this "Still Waters Run Deep" quality, unlike many of his peers, he's way and miles matured than his peers, definitely much more than those a few years senior than him Pop Idols. KSH, has this arch of playing villain roles super well, she also carries depth... i can dare say they will compliment each other, if they go and cast a much cute popular idol with Yoo, then i have much more worries. in "I Missed You" when both are shy around each other, is much diff from Yoo being shy beside a noona or a senior.. When you paired Yoo with an older Noona, his natural character will not truly break the ice as weeks goes by. because the very respectful boy that he is, he will always keep that distance and cannot cross over 'The bridge" of communications, the chemistry part will always take a set-back when both cannot generate thorough chemistry.... while all his noonas co-leads has tried their Best in their good Stellar good acting....  Just like Remember War of the Son scene, in one particular Kiss scene, both Yoo and PMY is so heart breaking to looked, both throw in their best performnace, just hearing their dialogue, look at their eyes, you can cried no matter how many times you replay that scene.... but you know the chemistry will not be there... but if you see the individual acting apart as Yoo act his part, and PMY act her part, both are so heart breaking to watch. Chemistry is something in built, nothing that can be 'learnt", nothing to forced it out .... So only when he act with someone of his heart desires, then that chemistry will oozes out, once the ice breaking melt...
between KSH and Yoo, i think the shyness and awkwardness will go away, because between them the shyness at least on KSH part is because she is fond of him. When that ice melt, i am so expecting sizzling BTS....
I will expecting very shy and dreamy looking Yoo looking at her, and her also with her girly laughter... i can't wait to see.....

@an05 in the legion of cute sweet pretty young idols. i actually preferred the "COLD' beauty kind, KSH, is so classy aura, and vibes. tis really kinda of rare among her peers. if you want someone that carries that kind of vengeful spirit girl in the beginning of the dramas and don't end of just another damsel that acting want to assassin the prince, but you know that her blow likely is like stabbing a toy knife,, then it doesn't give an impact. with KSH carries the beginning part of the show with her fierce vengeance look, wow, BAM!... she will carry us 50% into the show feeling the spark mood already. I need a undaunted female character that is convincing enough to draw the Crown Prince's attention immediately at the First Meeting. how many times we have female Leads that try to carry a secret assassination, and you one look immediately know she will fail.

1 hour ago, maryofbethany said:

@Jelly Filan Safi hi, wow... really? Yoo SH is going to be Lee Seon, aka. Sado Prince. you know @ this thread back pages we did mentioned about Sado Prince, you turn to page 4 of this thread. read what @Berou and the rest, said.

if he's doing this, i think he's definitely will make us cry the river that is deep water enough to save water for his nations.  basically the history did NOT write well regarding the figure, mostly reported badly about this "mad' crown prince died in a rice box suffocated as a death sentence.
do you have the link to Yoo's role will be Lee Seon ?

Here's the link: http://www.gnynews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=236863

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2016/10/12/2016101201673.html

...and many other links. You can google with the keyword: "군주-가면의 주인" (Ruler: Master of the Mask)

You also can read my comments the previous page. ‘이선’은 고통받는 백성에게 희망이 돼주고, 사랑하는 여인을 위해 죽음을 각오하고 진격하는 강한 군주다. ".

" All of you have a serious misunderstanding of Yoo Seung Ho's role in his upcoming drama: Ruler - Master of the Mask. His role in this drama is LEE SEON ( 이선 ), the most unfortunate crown prince in Korea's history, also known as SADO PRINCE . Sado Prince is a grandson of King Sukjong - LEE SOON (이순). May be Lee Seon can also be written as Lee Sun. And Lee Soon can also be written as Lee Sun, thats why all of you have misunderstood.

Lee Seon aka Sado Prince became the crown prince due to the prior death of his older brother. However he didnt have a chance to become the King, cause he was killed by his FATHER - King Yeongjo (Sukjong'son).  He was confined in the rice chest. After killing his son, Yeongjo felt regretful  so he gave him the name "Sado" (with the meaning "thinking about with great sorrow and regrets).

Lee Seon has 4 ladies in his life. and the most outstanding is Hyeon Gyeong Lady (His official wife), and Lee Ga Eun - an imperial maid. In Korean novels about Sado, they writes that Lee Ga Eun is the girl whom Sado fell in loves. Unluckily, its a sad sad love story. Hyeon Gyeong is also the best friend and good wife of King Sado. After Sado's death, she with their son  - King JeongJo tried to prove Sado's innocence and show out the truth. Lady Hyeon Gyeong also wrote down the novel name " The Memoirs of Lady HyeonGyeong, and obviously, it's about Sado's life and the truth beneath his dead. She and their son JeongJo also accepts Lee Ga Eun then as Sado's wife.  YeongJo, son of Sukjong and father of Sado, has deleted all Sado (Real Name is Lee Seon) in History. Till the 19th century. People found the diary of Sado's official wife .

You can check the Hangeul name of Sado in old korean articles about this drama. and read abt Sado here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Prince_Sado"

I tagged you but maybe you couldn't see it.

" And this diary talks abt Sado's life with all. In Korean History. There's only 1 "Lee Seon" prince, known as Sado.

12 hours ago, an05 said:

@AuroraM thank you for the insight. I'm actually half Korean but my skills are limited and it's hard for me to read through all of the history. I don't think anyone in this thread was expecting this drama to be a rom com so I'm confused as to why everyone is comparing it to moonlight. I know Yoo Ah In did a fantastic job as Sado in his previous movie so YSH may feel pressured. But as someone who's watched his acting, I'm confident that he will give justice to his own interpretation. I'm glad that they are taking a more fictionalization approach to the drama since Sado has been portrayed few times already. 

And everyone please just ignore the haters. KSH is the most popular child actress internationally so it's understandable that she will get some hate. But it's literally like 2% of international fans. If you look through all major forum and article translation sites all Inetz are thrilled with this pairing and the only place I read any hate comments are few from asianwiki and dramabeans. Not to mention they seem to be written by few of the same people because they repeat the same things over and over again. 

@an05

Yah, i've just studied Korean for 8 months. However, i love Korean culture and history so much.

Yoo Ah In did a fantastic job and also got the best actor award in Blue Dragon for this role. I think people keep comparing this drama to Moonlight cause they dont even care who Sado is. They just think that this is a new romatic drama with a new 93-99lines couple.

Just like you, im also confident that he will make this role different from Yoo Ah In's role. Maybe this drama will focus on the story beneath Sado's life. How he fought, how he loved, and how he died.

And yas "haters gonna hate" so just ignore them! Anw, Nice to meet you,

1 hour ago, AuroraM said:

Here's the link: http://www.gnynews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=236863

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2016/10/12/2016101201673.html

...and many other links. You can google with the keyword: "군주-가면의 주인" (Ruler: Master of the Mask)

You also can read my comments the previous page. ‘이선’은 고통받는 백성에게 희망이 돼주고, 사랑하는 여인을 위해 죽음을 각오하고 진격하는 강한 군주다. ".

" All of you have a serious misunderstanding of Yoo Seung Ho's role in his upcoming drama: Ruler - Master of the Mask. His role in this drama is LEE SEON ( 이선 ), the most unfortunate crown prince in Korea's history, also known as SADO PRINCE . Sado Prince is a grandson of King Sukjong - LEE SOON (이순). May be Lee Seon can also be written as Lee Sun. And Lee Soon can also be written as Lee Sun, thats why all of you have misunderstood.

Lee Seon aka Sado Prince became the crown prince due to the prior death of his older brother. However he didnt have a chance to become the King, cause he was killed by his FATHER - King Yeongjo (Sukjong'son).  He was confined in the rice chest. After killing his son, Yeongjo felt regretful  so he gave him the name "Sado" (with the meaning "thinking about with great sorrow and regrets).

Lee Seon has 4 ladies in his life. and the most outstanding is Hyeon Gyeong Lady (His official wife), and Lee Ga Eun - an imperial maid. In Korean novels about Sado, they writes that Lee Ga Eun is the girl whom Sado fell in loves. Unluckily, its a sad sad love story. Hyeon Gyeong is also the best friend and good wife of King Sado. After Sado's death, she with their son  - King JeongJo tried to prove Sado's innocence and show out the truth. Lady Hyeon Gyeong also wrote down the novel name " The Memoirs of Lady HyeonGyeong, and obviously, it's about Sado's life and the truth beneath his dead. She and their son JeongJo also accepts Lee Ga Eun then as Sado's wife.  YeongJo, son of Sukjong and father of Sado, has deleted all Sado (Real Name is Lee Seon) in History. Till the 19th century. People found the diary of Sado's official wife .

You can check the Hangeul name of Sado in old korean articles about this drama. and read abt Sado here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Prince_Sado"

I tagged you but maybe you couldn't see it.

" And this diary talks abt Sado's life with all. In Korean History. There's only 1 "Lee Seon" prince, known as Sado Prince.

@AuroraM okay, good, found a good saeguk expert here (yourself). okay, i will read those articles. Me-self very interested in saeguk dramas. guess you are right, the most 'misunderstood" crown prince of all, maybe because we fans normally feed upon all these medias and Kdrama normally painted him negatively.
but i think i remembered Lee Je-Hoon's take at Secret Door for this prince. i know even the basic history text book may not be giving us complete truth behind historical events.
Thanks for Tag me, then i can read this faster. If the Prince is Sado, then i guess Yoo should be one of the Best actor, (if not the BEST ACTOR) for this melodrama, he alone can carry that weigh apart of being such a young actor. sorry, i take back my random description of this prince as "mad".

checked Wiki on Prince Sado: which of the following Consorts is Ga Eun:

• Consorts:
  1. Lady Hyegyeong of the Poongsan Hong clan, 혜경궁 홍씨, 1735–1816). Daughter of Hong Bong-han (홍봉한) —great-great-grandson of Princess JeongMyoung (1603-1685), the only legitimate daughter of King Seonjo— and Lady Yi of the Hansun Yi clan.
    Dignified as Queen Heongyeong 헌경왕후 in 1899 by emperor Gojong of Korea.
    1. Prince Successor Uiso (의소세자, 1750–1752)
    2. Jeongjo of Joseon (1752-1800), Prince Successor Descendant (왕세손), the 22nd King (정조)
    3. Princess Cheongyeon (청연공주, 1754-1821)
    4. Princess Cheongseon (청선공주, 1756–1802)
  2. Royal Noble Consort Suk of the Im clan (숙빈 임씨)
    1. Prince Eunyeon (은언군, 1754–1801). Grandfather of Cheoljong, the 25th King (철종)
    2. Prince Eunshin (은신군, 1755–1771). Posthumous step-father of Prince Namyeon and, therefore, ancestor of Gojong, the 26th King (고종)
  3. Royal Noble Consort Gyeong of the Park clan (경빈 박씨)
    1. Prince Eunjeon (은전군, 1759–1778)
    2. Princess Cheonggeun (청근옹주, 1758–1792)
  4. Lee Ga Eun should not be in this official list right? since both consorts surnamed Im and Park. the 4th lady is missing in the Wiki's record.

@valentvcd welcome in:)

girls, remember to click follow the Front First Page, to "UP" the following counts, to indicate popularity.

20 minutes ago, maryofbethany said:

@AuroraM okay, good, found a good saeguk expert here (yourself). okay, i will read those articles. Me-self very interested in saeguk dramas. guess you are right, the most 'misunderstood" crown prince of all, maybe because we fans normally feed upon all these medias and Kdrama normally painted him negatively.
but i think i remembered Lee Je-Hoon's take at Secret Door for this prince. i know even the basic history text book may not be giving us complete truth behind historical events.
Thanks for Tag me, then i can see it faster.

@maryofbethany

Yeah, I think they will make this drama based on the history and also the truth beneath it. This will be the interesting drama for sure. I hope that it will be the real historical melo drama. :D And because this drama is 100% pre-produced, i'm so excited now.

47 minutes ago, AuroraM said:

@maryofbethany

Yeah, I think they will make this drama based on the history and also the truth beneath it. This will be the interesting drama for sure. I hope that it will be the real historical melo drama. :D And because this drama is 100% pre-produced, i'm so excited now.

@AuroraM there are people for and people against Pre-production. i believe Historical events are the very one better done in pre-production, since writernim should not have lee-way to play with plots and fictionalize things till tis 'supernatural" or too "sweet and sentimental". i still missed the good old ones like Dae Jang Geum, Dong Yi, Yi San, Ballad of Seodong (modern ones, i liked Deep Rooted Tree) when they did it right and honest, and with such grandeur.  problem with live-shooting, is when fans has the power to orchestrate the changing of plot and characters' nature and characteristics, or lessen or add screen times. when writernim compromised, the problem will comes in, as characters or leads are like changed nature by second half, because fans murmur against or for a certain roles....
Historical dramas should be just 'HONEST-REPORTING the  true events', and while they cannot change the events, they can write awesome lines, and jsut allow the chemistry between the antagonist and protagonist to spark, and let the actor do their job. at least this drama will not have follow web toon based or supernatural based (because i think they need to make a diff from the two highly popular /awesome ones that just ended airing.) But they are indeed cases where characters truly wasn't written well, and if pre-produced, too late to make changes when fans voiced anger.

Thanks for Tag me, then i can read this faster. If the Prince is Sado, then i guess Yoo should be one of the Best actor, (if not the BEST ACTOR) for this melodrama, he alone can carry that weigh apart of being such a young actor. sorry, i take back my random description of this prince as "mad".

checked Wiki on Prince Sado: which of the following Consorts is Ga Eun:

• Consorts:
  1. Lady Hyegyeong of the Poongsan Hong clan, 혜경궁 홍씨, 1735–1816). Daughter of Hong Bong-han (홍봉한) —great-great-grandson of Princess JeongMyoung (1603-1685), the only legitimate daughter of King Seonjo— and Lady Yi of the Hansun Yi clan.
    Dignified as Queen Heongyeong 헌경왕후 in 1899 by emperor Gojong of Korea.
    1. Prince Successor Uiso (의소세자, 1750–1752)
    2. Jeongjo of Joseon (1752-1800), Prince Successor Descendant (왕세손), the 22nd King (정조)
    3. Princess Cheongyeon (청연공주, 1754-1821)
    4. Princess Cheongseon (청선공주, 1756–1802)
  2. Royal Noble Consort Suk of the Im clan (숙빈 임씨)
    1. Prince Eunyeon (은언군, 1754–1801). Grandfather of Cheoljong, the 25th King (철종)
    2. Prince Eunshin (은신군, 1755–1771). Posthumous step-father of Prince Namyeon and, therefore, ancestor of Gojong, the 26th King (고종)
  3. Royal Noble Consort Gyeong of the Park clan (경빈 박씨)
    1. Prince Eunjeon (은전군, 1759–1778)
    2. Princess Cheonggeun (청근옹주, 1758–1792)
  4. Lee Ga Eun should not be in this official list right? since both consorts surnamed Im and Park. the 4th lady is missing in the Wiki's record.

@valentvcd welcome in:)

girls, remember to click follow the Front First Page, to "UP" the following counts, to indicate popularity.

Yeah, The Information on Wiki is not enough. Lee Ga Eun is an imperial maid and people till now dont know abt her exactly, when she died or how she lied. However, when Yi San became the next King, Yi San and Lady Hyegyeong  accepted Lee Ga Eun as a Sado's wife.

The drama abt Sado "Secret Garden" starred Lee Je Hoon, Yoo Jung focuses on Royal Noble Consort Gyeong of the Park clan (경빈 박씨), while the movie "The Throne" of Yoo Ah In focuses on Lady Hye Gyeong. However, All of them mainly talks abt Sado and his fights for the country and for his family. He's a smart prince and he loves his father - Yeongjo so much.

@maryofbethany I agreed with you that " Historical events are the very one better done in pre-production, since writernim should not have lee-way to play with plots and fictionalize things till tis 'supernatural" or too "sweet and sentimental". And hope that MBC will make this the best drama where the audience know more abt Sado's life, abt his fight and also his love.

oh goosh. i am mesmerized by this Prince Sado's event:

here's some food for thoughts, a term paper done by someone> with the photo of the very rice-box he was sentenced to death in:
https://kmlabean.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/term-paper-first-draft-prince-sado사도세자-why-was-he-killed-by-his-father/

term paper; Prince Sado(사도세자), Why was he killed by his father?

by kmlabean

(think you should go to the direct site and read it there, and maybe give some comments. since its his term paper, i guess i should NOT copy paste here.)

reading all these.. made me very heart rending.  will this heart-shreding role be the very Signature Act of Yoo?
dsc01415.jpg

pic. cr.Troo Adventure

cr. Korea Joongang Daily - 중앙일보

.....saddened.

@AuroraM @maryofbethany

" Yeah, The Information on Wiki is not enough. Lee Ga Eun is an imperial maid and people till now dont know abt her exactly, when she died or how she lied. However, when Yi San became the next King, Yi San and Lady Hyegyeong  accepted Lee Ga Eun as a Sado's wife. "

Lee Ga Gun is mentioned in the Korean & Chinese Wiki under Crown Prince Sado

Korean wiki

후궁 : 수칙 이씨 (守則 李氏) (정조때 사실이 알려져 정렬(貞烈)의 칭호를 받음)

Chinese Wiki

守則李氏     本為宮人,曾承恩於莊祖,不過當時並未得到任何名分,不久之後便出宮。由於僅是宮人身分,她在宮外生活頗為淒涼。因此正祖十五年七月十六日,封為「守則」,賜號貞烈。並下賜生活所需及房屋給她

Translate from Chinese text

Su Chik Yi Clan (assuming that her given name is Lee Ga Eun). She was a palace maid & received the effectual sign of grace from Jangjo (Crown Prince Sado was posthumous name as Jangjo given by Emperor Gojong in 1899 since he was a descendant of Crown Prince Sado from the lineage of Prince Eunshin ( 은신군, 1755-1771), 2nd son of Crown Prince Sado borne from Royal Consort Sukbin of Im clan)

But at time didn't receive any investiture.....not long after she was expel from the palace but maintain her status as palace maid. Life was downtrodden for her outside the palace. In the 15th year (1791) of Jeongjo reign (Crown Prince Sado's son), she was acknowledge with the etiquette as Crown Prince Sado's wife  (수칙,守則) with the investiture title of "Jeong Ryeol" (정렬,貞烈). 

Life became better for her after her investiture that she was render housing & living expenditure.....This was indication that she was still living in 1791. Meanwhile Princess Hyegyeong lived to the aged of 81 (1735-1816)

Reference of Lee Ga Eun investiture, found in the writing of Beonamjip (번암집,樊巖集) written by Chae Je Gong

http://db.itkc.or.kr/itkcdb/text/mvMainListPopup.jsp?bizName=MV&mc=yes&signguboon=mv_s_all&seojititle=&seojiid=kc_mm_a543&gunchaid=av031&muntitleid=01&finid=015&fintitle=&startPage=&endPage=&xmlnodeid=kc_mm_a543-av031-01-015&setid=7241025&Pos=26&TotalCount=56

Chae Je Gong was one of the Royal Tutor when Jeongjo was a Prince.  Beonamjip (번암집,樊巖集) is one of the official collection of works that Jeongjo order to be published. It was written by Chae Je Gong (1720-1799). Jeongjo was so impressed by Chae Je Gong's consistent protection for Crown Prince Sado & that Jeongjo especially selected Chae Je Gong as Prime Minister. Chae Je Gong successfully assisted Jeongjo's policy in various categories. Beonamjip (번암집,樊巖集) was privately published after Jeongjo death but took a long time due to political obstacles that occurred shortly after Jeongjo passing  

i assume this drama gonna be satisfying with the acting but not good for our heart. once you got attach to the character, you dont want anyone to get hurt. 

if its a dark drama, there gonna be many hurtful thing. but from their storyline i assume they have happy ending at the end? (they hate each other first then fell in love) i hope they have at least 1/3 of drama to be in love

the problem with pre production, the directors have not yet got used to it, they have too much time on their hand compare to live shooting. as you know any drama has many cutting scene, sometimes if they have too much time they will try to shoot as much as possible. in moonlovers, the director was struggling with pre production, the emotion running through was frustrating. mirror of the witch didnt have a happy ending so it makes you feel uneasy at the end. there still havent any confirmation about live shooting or preproduct. i guess we will know by next month, after knowing the rest of the cast

if the prince gonna be the same as the throne of yoo ah in?yoo ah in is really something, damn, ever since his sungkyunkwan day. and watching his interviews is so different from his characters in movies

On 14/11/2016 at 1:12 AM, maryofbethany said:

oh goosh. i am mesmerized by this Prince Sado's event:

here's some food for thoughts, a term paper done by someone> with the photo of the very rice-box he was sentenced to death in:
https://kmlabean.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/term-paper-first-draft-prince-sado사도세자-why-was-he-killed-by-his-father/

term paper; Prince Sado(사도세자), Why was he killed by his father?

by kmlabean

(think you should go to the direct site and read it there, and maybe give some comments. since its his term paper, i guess i should NOT copy paste here.)

reading all these.. made me very heart rending.  will this heart-shreding role be the very Signature Act of Yoo?

MOD EDIT: do not quote images

pic. cr.Troo Adventur'Hanjungrok,' one of the most cited records of Crown Prince Sado remaining today, was written by his wife, Lady Hyegyeong.
cr. Korea Joongang Daily - 중앙일보

.....saddened.

@maryofbethany @Berou @an05 @daynci @Ly Khánh

And you will be shocked if you watch the movie of Sado. Before Yeongjo killed Sado by this cruel way, he had asked Sado to suicide. In the middle of the imperial palace, Sado hit his head against the ground. Unluckily, he still stayed alive even thoung he bleeded then. It's a hurting, touching story.

Here's the link for those who are interested in this true story and want to download pdf "The Memoirs of Lady HyeGyeong (English version): https://www.uploady.com/#!/download/n~z6TYUNXI6/RJG1OGjtta7x_CqI

@gerrytan8063

Thanks for your precious information. <3. Seem like the role Lee Ga Eun will challenge Kim So Hyun too. Cants wait to see them soon. Ah, i think they will release the first teaser on MBC 2016 award on Dec 30th to promote the drama.

@AuroraM @maryofbethany

" Thanks for your precious information. <3. Seem like the role Lee Ga Eun will challenge Kim So Hyun too."

If you wish to know about this character, try to search under  수칙이씨지가 (守則李氏之家) or  `수칙이씨 (守則李氏)`

You get some of her historical background

In the 15th reign of Jeongjo (1791), Jeongjo learn that in the capital of a destitute old lady who lived in seclusion & relying on charity for daily needs living in Socheon Eodong (소천어동小川魚洞, presently Gyeongun-dong - 경운동, Jongno-gu in Seoul). It was said that the old lady was a former palace maid that her story came to the knowledge & the ears of Jeongjo. Jeongjo wanting to learn if the story was true, sent his servant to verify the story.

It was learn that the old lady was a palace maid in the reign of Yeongjo, enter the palace at the age of 10 & received the effectual sign of grace from Crown Prince Sado at 15 years in 1760 (36th reign of Yeongjo, which means she was born in 1745), however in 1762 (38th reign of Yeongjo) Crown Prince Sado was force to death by his father, she was expel from the palace & therefore lived the next 30 years of her life in such downtrodden & kept her virtues & fidelity for Crown Prince Sado

Jeongjo on hearing the story was touched & consulted with his officials & his mother, he conferred the honourific title  "Su Chik of Yi Clan (수칙이씨지가 ,守則李氏之家, she will be now 46 years old in 1791, average life expectancy in Joseon is 24 for males & 26 for female) & investiture the title of  "Jeong Ryeol" (정렬,貞烈) for her ardent devotion to Crown Prince Sado & make sure that she live her life out in comfort

Su Chik (수칙, 守則) means to observe or to guard

"Jeong Ryeol" (정렬,貞烈) literally means to extremely faithfulness or in other words readily to die to preserve one's chastity. "Jeong" (정,貞) means firm adherence to one's principles, for a women their chastity & chaste. "Ryeol" (렬,烈) means ardent, upright, able to give one's life for a noble cause 

I suppose there is a great love story that is waiting to be told

@gerrytan8063 According to what you said above, i think that this is a really sad love story. And the most important is that there are not many Skinship, kisses, or fanservice. Cause Lee Ga Eun seems to be the girl who keeps her love deep down inside and so does Sado. However i believe we all can feel and melt for their love.

Beside the love story, there are also political fights, the misunderstanding between Yeongjo and Sado and other relationships aroung Sado. Hope they will make this drama superb, amazing and touching.

@maryofbethany @gerrytan8063

I've just read this article: http://vip.mk.co.kr/news/view/21/20/1092563.html

and found that after Sado's death, Lee Ga Eun tried to kill herself but she didn't die. The injure made her dissable and she lived the rest of her life like a crazy woman. All her deep down inside died, the only thing that still alive is her memory of Sado.

Oh my god. I have nothing to say but my heart melted for their story, this is really a tragedy of those who lived under feudalism.

3 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@AuroraM @maryofbethany

" Thanks for your precious information. <3. Seem like the role Lee Ga Eun will challenge Kim So Hyun too."

If you wish to know about this character, try to search under  수칙이씨지가 (守則李氏之家) or  `수칙이씨 (守則李氏)`

You get some of her historical background

In the 15th reign of Jeongjo (1791), Jeongjo learn that in the capital of a destitute old lady who lived in seclusion & relying on charity for daily needs living in Socheon Eodong (소천어동小川魚洞, presently Gyeongun-dong - 경운동, Jongno-gu in Seoul). It was said that the old lady was a former palace maid that her story came to the knowledge & the ears of Jeongjo. Jeongjo wanting to learn if the story was true, sent his servant to verify the story.

It was learn that the old lady was a palace maid in the reign of Yeongjo, enter the palace at the age of 10 & received the effectual sign of grace from Crown Prince Sado at 15 years in 1760 (36th reign of Yeongjo, which means she was born in 1745), however in 1762 (38th reign of Yeongjo) Crown Prince Sado was force to death by his father, she was expel from the palace & therefore lived the next 30 years of her life in such downtrodden & kept her virtues & fidelity for Crown Prince Sado

Jeongjo on hearing the story was touched & consulted with his officials & his mother, he conferred the honourific title  "Su Chik of Yi Clan (수칙이씨지가 ,守則李氏之家, she will be now 46 years old in 1791, average life expectancy in Joseon is 24 for males & 26 for female) & investiture the title of  "Jeong Ryeol" (정렬,貞烈) for her ardent devotion to Crown Prince Sado & make sure that she live her life out in comfort

Su Chik (수칙, 守則) means to observe or to guard

"Jeong Ryeol" (정렬,貞烈) literally means to extremely faithfulness or in other words readily to die to preserve one's chastity. "Jeong" (정,貞) means firm adherence to one's principles, for a women their chastity & chaste. "Ryeol" (렬,烈) means ardent, upright, able to give one's life for a noble cause 

I suppose there is a great love story that is waiting to be told

@gerrytan8063 @AuroraM before reading your write out about Ga Eun, i was actually thinking why no offer the role of Lady Hyegyeong , since she is more prominent and its her diary that shed light upon the truth of Sado's death.. that she while not gain the love of Sado did stayed true to his side to bring up Prince Jeongjo , the latter Yi San. then i read your simple writing on Ga Eun, and it moves me.
esp the part above in yellow, where she went on living in her memories and faithfulness to him, in solitutes and chastity without marrying. 30 years is not short, if she can live to that age, and kept her virtues. .. remember her original plan was to take revenge on the prince for father's death, yet her love and lightly being touched by sado's plight may have moved her to put down her own misfortune and look to his plight instead and the needs of the nation to have a Real Good Ruler.

which means while the father King Yeongjo can openly repent of his much regret sentence of his son, calling his son the posthumous title Sado, meaning "Thinking of with great sorrow."

思悼 世子 in chinese exactly means to commemorate a late beloved one.
now i worry, this is one  heavy weigh drama that will be along the likes of Lee San, Wind of the Palace, or Dong Yi, or Dae Jang Geum. the two main leads. how i truly wish Director Lee Byung Hoon will be directing (his many works, Dae Jang Geum, Ballad of Seodong, Yi San, Dong Yi , the King's Doctor. )
But Director Son Hyeong Seok's
Saeguk is only Shine or Go Crazy. and Writernim Park HyeJin is truly unknown..

On 11/12/2016 at 11:58 PM, evie7 said:

Yoo Seung Ho has been around for a long time and to me is the most talented actor in his age group. I'm not throwing shade to any of the other actors his age, I'm basing this on my preference. I'm not going to get upset if someone thinks differently.  I

@evie7 omg I love you chingu! because I  definitely agree with you! and I've mentioned  this nth times already beginning of the thread YSH is the best  actor among his peers.  I will never ever forget how he made me cry in less than 60 second first scene Remember -War of the Son.  Afterwards I said, this should win best actor! best scene!

7 hours ago, daynci said:

i assume this drama gonna be satisfying with the acting but not good for our heart. once you got attach to the character, you dont want anyone to get hurt. 

if its a dark drama, there gonna be many hurtful thing. but from their storyline i assume they have happy ending at the end? (they hate each other first then fell in love) i hope they have at least 1/3 of drama to be in love

the problem with pre production, the directors have not yet got used to it, they have too much time on their hand compare to live shooting. as you know any drama has many cutting scene, sometimes if they have too much time they will try to shoot as much as possible. in moonlovers, the director was struggling with pre production, the emotion running through was frustrating. mirror of the witch didnt have a happy ending so it makes you feel uneasy at the end. there still havent any confirmation about live shooting or preproduct. i guess we will know by next month, after knowing the rest of the cast

if the prince gonna be the same as the throne of yoo ah in?yoo ah in is really something, damn, ever since his sungkyunkwan day. and watching his interviews is so different from his characters in movies

I want this drama dark.. full of heart, passion, and grit. And again this has serious  theme.  Nothing cutesy bubble gum saeguk.  It will likely be emotional and dramatic. I can't wait to see acting skills and brilliance.  OMG for the first time, I'm excited for historical period drama.  Imagine that. :D

@gerrytan8063 @AuroraM before reading your write out about Ga Eun, i was actually thinking why no offer the role of Lady Hyegyeong , since she is more prominent and its her diary that shed light upon the truth of Sado's death.. that she while not gain the love of Sado did stayed true to his side to bring up Prince Jeongjo , the latter Yi San. then i read your simple writing on Ga Eun, and it moves me.
esp the part above in yellow, where she went on living in her memories and faithfulness to him, in solitutes and chastity without marrying. 30 years is not short, if she can live to that age, and kept her virtues. .. remember her original plan was to take revenge on the prince for father's death, yet her love and lightly being touched by sado's plight may have moved her to put down her own misfortune and look to his plight instead and the needs of the nation to have a Real Good Ruler.

which means while the father King Yeongjo can openly repent of his much regret sentence of his son, calling his son the posthumous title Sado, meaning "Thinking of with great sorrow."

思悼 世子 in chinese exactly means to commemorate a late beloved one.
now i worry, this is one  heavy weigh drama that will be along the likes of Lee San, Wind of the Palace, or Dong Yi, or Dae Jang Geum. the two main leads. how i truly wish Director Lee Byung Hoon will be directing (his many works, Dae Jang Geum, Ballad of Seodong, Yi San, Dong Yi , the King's Doctor. )
But Director Son Hyeong Seok's
Saeguk is only Shine or Go Crazy. and Writernim Park HyeJin is truly unknown..

I think the other casts including YeongJo and Lady HyeGyeong will be announced soon. Hope that good actor/actress will take those roles. After Sado's death she came out of the imperial palace and live as a normal woman. Yet she turned crazy then.

About the PD-nim, he did a good job in drama "2 weeks" but his experiences on "Saguk" drama make me confused too. =)) I dont worry much abt the writernim, because this is her first drama. All Writernim always do their best in the first time.

@maryofbethany You should watch Iljmae (Lee Jun Ki version), Six Flying Dragons. For the movies, Lee Yoon Ik PD's Saguk movies are worth watching.

Archived