Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2016-2017] My Fair Lady (Oh My Geum-Bi) 오 마이 금비

Ha. Trying not see the spoilers.  I am going to wait for sub.   For the ones who watches this drama or  check this thread, you know  how I feel for this. Thanks for photos.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2017 at 9:41 PM, Chi Le said:

such a sweet ending.

I agree that the ending was both deeply moving and thought-provoking, and rounded off very well what was possibly the finest Kdrama I've ever seen in over a decade of addiction to these things.
But "sweet"? 

Spoiler

The reason I posted that translation of the warning Geum Bi receives from Jun Hui about what will happen after her next "sleep" is to point up a very sobering matter about the ending. After Geum Bi wakes up from that fetal position slumber that her adoptive parents find so touching after their long night snuggled up together on the floor, she will spend the remaining span of her days in a near vegetative state.  That was the price she willingly accepted for turning back to life for one last exchange with the ones she loved. She had also,equally willingly, in her final meeting with the doctors, consented that if her body outlived her mind and personality, she would be the subject of scientific investigations, a human guinea pig, in effect, that might in the end help others afflicted with the same disease. Indeed with what little muscular strength she had left, she extracted a pinkie promise that they would indeed make use of her in that way. That's why the doctor returns Gang Hui's thanks for making it possible for Geum Bi to live to her 17th birthday by saying that he is hugely grateful to Geum Bi for enabling his research to progress as it has done in the meantime. 

That outcome is completely in keeping with the child's courage and generosity that Heo Jung Eun has done such an astonishing job of bringing home to us.  Geum Bi's character was uplifting precisely because the production made it so credible.  No-one with a shred of humanity could avoid shedding tears, but this drama was not at all a "tear-jerker", since that term implies deliberate manipulation of the viewers' emotions by devices that wouldn't withstand clear-sighted scrutiny.  Those Korean viewers who within minutes of the final credits were on-line consoling themselves with the notion that that "Geum Bi recovered enough to attend High School" are deluding themselves. She has the  uniform, because Hui Cheol knew, ever since overhearing that conversation with an imaginary older friend, how she had longed to go to high school, and anyone who manages to meet recent Kdrama requirements for lip-reading skills will realize the uniform was her last wish, but that's all. Her life as a conscious individual was over at the age of 10, after she finally fell asleep between her parents after their long night's last talk. She lives on in the memory of all those whose lives she touched, or even transformed, but the 17 year-old in the wheelchair is now just a shell, as the close-ups of her utterly expressionless face made plain. Those desolate closeups were the bedrock of this drama's unstinting honesty, but it's precisely that foundation of harsh and unrelenting truth that makes its vision of courage, hope and transforming love so plausible.  But "sweet?". 

Not to my palate, at any rate, and I for one am rather glad that's not the case.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, baduy said:

I agree that the ending was both deeply moving and thought-provoking, and rounded of what was possibly the finest Kdrama I've ever seen in over a decade of addiction to these things.
But "sweet"? 

Reveal hidden contents

The reason I posted that translation of the warning Geum Bi receives from Jun Hui about what will happen after her next "sleep" is to point up a very sobering matter about the ending. After Geum Bi wakes up from that fetal position slumber that her adoptive parents find so touching after their long night snuggled up together on the floor, she will spend the remaining span of her days in a near vegetative state.  That was the price she willingly accepted for turning back to life for one last exchange with the ones she loved. She had also,equally willingly, in her final meeting with the doctors, consented that if her body outlived  her mind and personality, she would be the subject of scientific investigations, a human guinea pig, in effect, that might in the end help others afflicted with the same disease. Indeed with what little muscular strength she had left, she extracted a pinkie promise that they would indeed make use of her in that way. That's why the doctor returns Gang Hui's thanks for making it possible for Geum Bi to live to her 17th birthday by saying that he is hugely grateful to Geum Bi for enabling his research to progress as it has done in the meantime. 

That outcome is completely in keeping with the child's courage and generosity that Heo Jung Eun has done such an astonishing job of bringing home to us.  Geum Bi's character was uplifting precisely because the production made it so credible.  No-one with a shred of humanity could avoid shedding tears, but this drama was not at all a "tear-jerker", since that term implies deliberate manipulation of the viewers' emotions by devices that wouldn't withstand clear-sighted scrutiny.  Those Korean viewers who within minutes of the final credits were on-line consoling themslelves with the notion that that "Geum Bi recovered enough to attend High School" are deluding themselves. She has the  uniform, because Hui Cheol knew, after overhearing that conversation with an imaginary older friend, how she had longed to wear it, but that's all. Her life as a conscious indifividual was over at the night she finally fell asleep between her parents ad the age of 10. She lives on in the memory of all those whose lives she touched, or even transformed, but the 17 year-old in the wheelchair is now just a shell, as the close-ups of he utterly expressionless face made plain. Those desolate closeups were the bedrock of this drama's unstinting honesty, but it's precisely that foundation of harsh and unrelenting truth that makes its vision of courage, hope and transforming love so plausible.  But "sweet?". 

Not to my palate, at any rate, and I for one am rather glad that's not the case.

The ending its not only for geum bi but everyone else. Everyone got their life change. Chi Soo and the teacher got married and have a kid. Hwi Hul both in married and stop conning people. Joo Young has her parner as well.

Hwi Hul and Kang Hee seems happy, and there is a brother. Yes its sad for geum bi but people still living. Kang Hee has been sad and guilty for her sister death for years while now she can accept and cherish the moment with geum bi. Geum bi got to live few more years so her life has help the research as well. Geum Bi could feel happy when people she left behind are not alone, sad or doing something bad. If she dies younger, her memory of her people mostly was bad but she had few years to build happy memory with her people. The last picture is warming, geum bi is not alone, and the people around her are not alone. They could be sad that geum bi gone but they have someone to hold their hand. If geum bi dies the moment she was in hospital, thats a sad ending. But the last picture is a sweet ending. Geum Bi is gonna die, we all know from the start. But she has changed all of those people life, so even geum bi life was short, but it was meaningful.

The 17 year old geum bi was only show for a little bit, the last picture still little geum bi smiling.

• Like 8

Such a good acting job for a little girl.

But to be honest, I am so glad this drama is over.  From the episode 1 till the end, nothing bad sadness.  I knew from the beginning that it will not be the happy ending for someone who has such an illness, but nonetheless, it wasn't my usual choice of drama.  

• Like 3

I will missed this drama but im a little bit pissed that other drama like legend of blue will be 20 ep.I know the story can get better for this drama.Oh my geumbi is amazing.Its just the scene cut short.Some character a little bit missing like kang hee brother,kang hee friend the doctor.I just cannot stop from watching this drama.At the end i feel happy for them.I want to hug all of them for a good job especially geumbi.I hope this thread will be alive for a long time.:bawling:

• Like 1

Whatever words one uses to describe the ending, I say it is a darn good drama. I like an ending which has people finding their life partners or family or a home, especially those who did not have too many breaks in life. I like this ending. It is difficult to make a good drama out of an incurable illness inflicted on a small kid who is feisty, smart and so pretty. The ending gave hope, shows courage and loyalty. It is not mawkish with maudlin lines and thank heavens no instant miracle cure.

I was quite sceptical about Soompians claiming they cried buckets because I did not cry. It is a show that the writer wrote to make us cry. But when I finished epi 16, I realised that I had been crying. Aarrrghh I am just a softie like all of you.:bawling:

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, maribella said:

I was quite sceptical about Soompians claiming they cried buckets because I did not cry. It is a show that the writer wrote to make us cry. But when I finished epi 16, I realised that I had been crying. Aarrrghh I am just a softie like all of you.

I've kept quiet because I thought I was the only one not crying this whole time!  But 15 and 16 did make me cry a little. 

So I'm safe.  My heart is not made of stone after all.  Ha.

I liked the ending, though!  It was a good compromise between reality (harsh, harsh reality) and feel-good stuff.  I liked the scene (I don't remember if it was 15 or 16, since I just watched them both back-to-back...) with Geum Bi in her little world talking to her dad, while he walks with her on the beach, talking to her about normal things. 

I am a bit bothered by the "message from beyond" from Aunt Joon Hee, but it played out so nicely that I'll give it a pass.

One last BTS with Geum Bi and her mom. 

7sWisUH.jpg
source

I'm glad she made another appearance in ep 16, because I was kind of annoyed with her that she wasn't there at all when things started to get really bad.  Surely she could spare a few days to see her daughter before she forgets who she is entirely, right? 

And that final scene:

Spoiler

She kept coming back to that uniform, didn't she?  I forget, how did it first come up?  All I know is that she talked about it, dreamed about it/created an imaginary friend to talk to about it...I'm glad she got to wear it, finally.

• Like 4

I want to see more dramas like this, thought-provoking. Well writing story line with great actors. I'm looking forward to this little girls blosoming as an actress.

the ending was bitter sweet. I am happy that's she is still alive however she payed big price just to spend one last day with the people she loved. My heart strings where being pulled from every direction.

• Like 2

Strangely, I cried buckets but also grinned from ear to ear while watching the ending. :bawling: As much as a hint of Geum Bi's life span might sooner draw to an end, one couldn't deny the life-changing magic this little girl making those people around her evolve for the better is so compelling yet heartbreaking. Her great love, warmth, courage, determination to live affected and touched these people heart, including me. When looking at their faces in that group photo, I can sense how they really felt appreciated that now they've become a one big family, despite going through thick and thin and having such a nasty & fatal relationship in the beginning, but being able to turn over a new leaf eventually.  Geum Bi is surely an incarnated angel whose brief life breathes goodness and belief that people can be good and forgiving no matter how harsh or inequitable life they have been treated. She also embedded hope and willpower to live a warm life into these people's conscience. A great gift from above that their memory of her will be cherished till the end.

Thank you so much for the writers and director who very considerate to us viewers by giving a lovely and memorable ending. Knowing from a start that a happy ending is impossible, I cried a lot when watching this drama, sometimes I need to prepare myself and not to watch it if I had to go out for meeting or dinners. My make-up was a mess .. hahaha. I really love the drama that depicted love beyond limitations or without conditions. It truly warms my heart. :)

• Like 6

Just finished watching the finale on KBS World. Sheesh it was like someone kept cutting onions! It's never easy caring for a sick loved one.. I speak from experience as I went through it with my late Dad & now with my Mom.. In an earlier ep. where Kanghee expressed fear she might hate Geumbi, I relate to it so much. As much as I love my Mom, she can be a handful too. 

This is yet another gem from Heo Jungeun who is the true star of this Drama. What a bright future she'd have. Although she expresses her desire to work with Song Joongki next LoL! I can only hope I have half of Geumbi's wisdom & strength. I just lost it when she told both Hwicheol, Kanghee to stay happy regardless of the outcome of her condition. 

I may have missed several ep. as the tone was way too heavy & depressing - something I don't need especially in my current situation LoL! However I relate to so many of the themes brought up in this drama on mortality, on life after death, the value of love & family... spending quality time with people closest to you etc. 

And so comes an end to another great heartwarming drama. Its lessons will definitely stick with me for a v.long time. 

• Like 5

I will miss Heo Jung Eun alot. Can't they cast her as the lead child in 'Mother' (tvN, Lee Bo Young considering; the handmaiden's writer)? It will be great pairing. Or they can create a drama with SJK as HJE's brother too.

I don't know why, the finale ep not make my cry to tears and tears like others ep, it's close to tears. I can smile a litte, with a bit sad inside my heart with ending scene. She stills alive... but... Who is she? Can't she get more postive improve in future? The answer is leave behind. But the important is.. everyone happy now, thanks for Geum Bi. It's even greater than so much sacrifice in alot dramas (most are makjang).

• Like 2

On 11/24/2016 at 2:01 AM, 0ly40 said:

OST part 1: SeenRoot - No worry

OST part 2: Jeon Sang Geun - Good day

What a nice drama.Very underated.I want to hug geumbi so tight.Im sad when i heard jeong san geun ost number 2 and think geumbi at the same time.Love this drama and will be my favourite drama for 2016/early 2016.The story really inspiring, and taught me about the new pick man disease.Its real disease though and the parent need to support their child when this happen.What do you think guys?

p/s need help:Anybody know the title for oh my geumbi opening song?One more thing can anybody teach me how to put graphic or photo at soompi forum?thank you

Edited by MadraRua
Please do not quote Youtube videos

I was trying to figure out who the girl was who played little Joon Hee (she has a pretty important role, even if she barely appeared!  I feel like I should credit her).

So she's Im Eun Seo, btw.  :)

Here's a cute shot of the kiddos from her instagram.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2017 at 11:39 AM, ecs707a said:
On 1/12/2017 at 11:01 AM, maribella said:

I was quite sceptical about Soompians claiming they cried buckets because I did not cry. It is a show that the writer wrote to make us cry. But when I finished epi 16, I realised that I had been crying. Aarrrghh I am just a softie like all of you.

I've kept quiet because I thought I was the only one not crying this whole time!  But 15 and 16 did make me cry a little. 

So I'm safe.  My heart is not made of stone after all.  Ha.

@ecs707a  I knew just from reading your posts, the drama wasn't touching for you. People have different take on dramas they watch. Some can be emotional and be into the drama. As this  was ( and Solomon's Perjury) the only k-dramas I was into, I'm heavily invested in the drama. But whatever floats others viewers perception and feel for the drama. As for me,  I cried  each of the episodes. I'm not even the least embarrassed to say that.

I know it's a very different comparison but-  there's a j movie, If Cats Disappeared in the World- viewers/comments I read keep saying it was very heavy and emotional,  and they cried.   How you are for this drama is how I was when I watched  that movie. So I totally understand you. You didn't have to keep quiet about it. I like reading your thoughts anyway.  Whether you laugh or cry whatever your take is ..on this drama.. it's your choice . That's how you feel. 

I still haven't watch episode 16 but I've seen the spoilers already. 

Heo Jung Eun is my best  actress for 2016.. her acting was superb but I don't need to tell everyone about that. it's in my every post here.

This drama wasn't perfect and wasn't flawless - random priest being geumbi's father, is kind of..  eh? and some others, but I'm glad they focused on geumbu and her sickness.

But I know a good drama when I see one.  And as I keep saying, knetz / viewers/ bloggers/ reviewers/  doesn't  and hasn never influence and sway me esp. how they see the drama and the actors and their acting. I like this drama and I still say it's  one the best best to end 2016.

Oh yeah  ep 2 scene of Geumbi and  Hwicheol  and Geumbi diaolgue was and still is my favorite scene in this drama.

OT: Well, next drama for me..in case you guys wanna  share thoughts to.. Defendant - Ji Sung on death row and will lose his memory in this drama.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2017 at 2:48 PM, Geumbi16 said:

What a nice drama.Very underated.I want to hug geumbi so tight.Im sad when i heard jeong san geun ost number 2 and think geumbi at the same time.Love this drama and will be my favourite drama for 2016/early 2016.The story really inspiring, and taught me about the new pick man disease.Its real disease though and the parent need to support their child when this happen.What do you think guys?

p/s need help:Anybody know the title for oh my geumbi opening song?One more thing can anybody teach me how to put graphic or photo at soompi forum?thank you

@Geumbi16

I can't help with the OST, maybe @0ly40 can.

You can check out this tutorial on how to post images here at Soompi. And if you want to upload images you can look here on where to do it. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2017 at 2:50 PM, quockhanh45 said:

http://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=076&aid=0003037475

Can anyone translate it? It's a interview with HJE & Oh Ji Ho. They talk about the fliming, included the scene-can't-not-miss (but I don't know where is that scene)

Here you go...

"Oh my Geum Bi" tells the story of Yu Geum Bi (Heo Jeong Eun) and Mo Hui Cheol (Oh Ji Ho), the father who looks after her.

Although it has not done well in the viewing ratings, it has won acclaim  for its treatment of life and death, family relationships, and the true nature of happiness.

In particular Heo Jeong Eun as Yu Geum Bi, a child who as a result of Nieman-Pick disease loses her memory and faces death, gave a remarkable performance, displaying astonishing acting skills. She gave a realistic portrayal of the process by which a girl who had lived a lonely existence without either of her parents, encounters Mo Hui Cheol and Go Gang Hui (Park Jin Hui) and initially seems to find happiness, but then gradually deteriorates and approaches death as her disease develops.

Above all, the scene where she lies in a coffin, thinks back over her life and the significant connections she has experienced with others, and confronts her own death, which would have sorely taxed the skills even of an adult performer, gripped viewers' hearts. It brought her tributes such as "acting genius", "child prodigy", and "the youngest female lead with extraordinary powers", but she herself said bashfully, "I've never heard anyone say such things about me off-set, so I don't really know."  She went on, "To start with, when there was none of the business about losing my memory and not being able to talk properly, it was straightforward enough. But as I gradually began to lose my memory it  started to get very difficult. But thanks to the help I had from the Director and Uncle Ji Ho, it wasn't all that hard in the end. Because of all the help I had, I was able to pull it off. And I enjoyed every minute. I got lots to eat and had great fun chatting to people," she revealed.

Oh Ji Ho said, "When we were shooting, she was always asking me show her things. How far to take her performance at particular stages. How to speak angrily. How to move her legs after they were failing. How I thought someone would suddenly spring to their feet even if they were in pain. Or how to portray someone whose muscles were failing so they couldn't speak or even use chopsticks. She'd give it everything she'd got in a convincing performance, but then the filming hadn't worked. She'd summon every ounce of her strength, pick herself up again and redo the take. She did really well. She only needed to be shown something once and she could do it to perfection. I was flabbergasted," he said.

The scene in "Oh my Geum Bi" that everyone really must see is the one with Geum Bi in the coffin. Heo Jeong Eun said about that scene, "I think I understand a little of how Geum Bi felt in that scene. 'Gosh, she was so bound up with so many people's lives,' I thought and I started to cry." That will most likely be the scene that stays the longest in the memories of Heo Jeong Eun and Oh Ji Ho. She went on, "I don't usually cry when a scene is over, but everyone else started blubbering so I broke down in tears as well and got quite upset."  

Oh Ji Ho said "The courtroom scene and then the one at the end where the three main characters share their memories are the ones that will stay with me. When it comes to shooting the final scene of a drama, I generally get very emotional. So when a scene involves a lot of tears, I normally ask the Director to do two complete takes. With two takes in the can, it's possible to get an emotionally more coherent final edit. But on this occasion, I didn't make any such request. It's a long scene, running to nine whole pages of script, and it had to be done in three cuts, one for each of the characters. So the three of us acted out the same script three times over, perfectly and without a single NG. Each time, the one in shot cried, but the other two kept themselves in check. Yesterday at the after party we spoke of how astonished we all were at how it had gone."

Playing a lead character in a 16 episode drama might easily have proved too much for a ten-year-old to cope with. "I didn't get much sleep, and there were loads of lines to learn," Heo Jeong Eun said.  "Especially when I got a gastric infection. I couldn't eat anything and got very weary."

Oh Ji Ho added," It was really tough going. I slipped up around 14 or 15 times. I honestly don't normally cause a lot of NGs and my concentration is usually up to learning my lines, but I got a lot wrong. And when I did, Park Jin Hui would call up the tteokboki cart, that really did make Jeong Eun hate her for a while."

In this drama, Heo Jeong Eun displayed consummate acting beyond anything one would expect of a child, but she's still not even ten years old. In connection with Jae Ha, her bosom pal in the drama, she says, laughing, "I like a bit of good-humored bickering, and playful scrapping is fun, too," and asked what sort of parts she'd like to play in future, she said, "There's a whole lot of roles I'd like to play. Ones that involve eating delicious food and having fun in playgrounds. In 'Moonlight drawn by Clouds' I couldn't speak normally and had to do some full-on ranting, and I found that exhausting," she added a little sheepishly. About meeting Song Jeung Gi at the annual acting awards ceremony, she said  "Seeing him in the flesh, I totally fell for him. Jeung Gi Oppa is the best," making no secret of how smitten she is.

Oh Ji Ho summed up, "This kid who's not 10 years old yet is unbelievable. Heo Jeong Eun has tremendous powers. And she knows herself exactly what she's doing, otherwise she wouldn't be able to express such emotions. Her ability to convey to the audience such sadness and intense emotion when she's not yet ten has won her many admirers. I get the impression everyone who watched this drama was filled with hope and a sense of how precious the family is."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jongski said:

This drama wasn't perfect and wasn't flawless - random priest being geumbi's father, is kind of..  eh? and some others, but I'm glad they focused on geumbu and her sickness.

Right!  There are things that annoyed me here and there but it was all about Geum Bi and, really, Heo Jung Eun's performance being the center of the show.  That's why I kept watching, and thank goodness, they kept the focus there until the end.

So I don't regret watching it, for sure.

On 12/1/2017 at 8:48 AM, Geumbi16 said:

On 13/1/2017 at 3:50 PM, MadraRua said:

@Geumbi16

I can't help with the OST, maybe @0ly40 can.

You can check out this tutorial on how to post images here at Soompi. And if you want to upload images you can look here on where to do it. 

Maybe you refer to this song?:

• Like 3