[Drama 2016-2017] My Fair Lady (Oh My Geum-Bi) 오 마이 금비

Go Seung Ji

Interestingly, the KBS2 mid-morning schedule was pre-empted today to show eps 14 and 15 back-to-back. Presumably so that people who've only just woken up to this drama could make more sense of the final episode when it airs very shortly.  But it makes a nice change to see dramas displacing other scheduled programs, rather than the othe way round.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, baduy said:

Interestingly, the KBS2 mid-morning schedule was pre-empted today to show eps 14 and 15 back-to-back. Presumably so that people who've only just woken up to this drama could make more sense of the final episode when it airs very shortly.  But it makes a nice change to see dramas displacing other scheduled programs, rather than the othe way round.

They should air a special ep today and final ep tomorrow. Tomorrow it just has to fight against Legend.

Is they change the schedule quickly? How can viewers catch it?

A couple of caps from the closing moments. The spoiling has been done already, but I'm putting them under a spoiler all the same, and I do recommend watching the whole episode before looking.

Spoiler

gbb1.png

[KH to pediatrician]  Thanks to you, Geum Bi has been able to reach her 17th birthday

(Their name badges confirm that the high schoolers to GB's right are Jae Ha and Sil Rang)

Spoiler

gbb2.png

"You're looking very happy today, Geum Bi" says one of her friends

Spoiler

But then, what Hui Cheol sees when he looks at the girl in the wheelchair suggests that her friend, despite appearances, may  be right.

gbb3.png

I don't suppose the subs will be out yet, so it will help make sense of the ending if you know what's being said in Geum Bi's vision as the medics are trying to resuscitate her.  And even when the subs are out, reading them through streams of tears might be a bit hard, so you can get advance practice in here....

vis01.png

The fox tells her

"You see that pathway into the light? You can follow it now."

Geum Bi asks "What will happen if I do?"

"You'll find peace," the fox replies. "There's no need for you to suffer any more."

Geum Bi starts to follow the death figure towards the white light. But then she comes to a stop.

"Don't worry about anything. Just go," the fox urges her. "Your journey's at a end now."

"Is it really?" Geum Bi asks doubtfully.  "If I leave like this, Daddy will cry a whole lot."

"But you're really sick," the fox reminds her. "Now you should just get some rest."

"I can't. Not yet," Geum Bi replies. "There's something I need to say to Daddy."

She turns away from the distant white light and runs back in the opposite direction. The fox and the death figure turn and watch her go.

vis02.png

She arrives in the vicinity of Kang Hui's house and sits on a doorstep, waiting. Then a girl appears pushing a bicycle. We recognize her as Kang Hee's long-dead sister.

"You're Geum Bi, aren't you?" the new arrival greets her. "I'm your auntie, Jun Hui. I'm so grateful to you for coming to our house. Thanks to you, my sister was able to smile again. But why have you come back here?  Ah, your journey... You want to go on a bit further, do you?  Even though you're so sick, you want to see your Daddy? Even though your body's all messed up and you're in such pain?  Me, I only suffered for a short time. I'm at peace here now. I wouldn't want to suffer again. But if you like, you can meet your Mommy and Daddy again for a little while."

"Can I really?," asks Geum Bi eagerly, getting up from the step. "In return, you have to pass on a message for me," Jun Hui adds. "Tell my sister I'm just fine, so she has to be happy. But you've only got the time from when you wake up till the next time you fall asleep again. Once you fall asleep, you've got to come back here. From that time on, you'll never be able to recognize your Daddy or your Mommy again. Head straight on in that direction."

viso3.png

On 1/11/2017 at 9:41 PM, Chi Le said:

such a sweet ending.

I agree that the ending was both deeply moving and thought-provoking, and rounded off very well what was possibly the finest Kdrama I've ever seen in over a decade of addiction to these things.
But "sweet"? 

Spoiler

The reason I posted that translation of the warning Geum Bi receives from Jun Hui about what will happen after her next "sleep" is to point up a very sobering matter about the ending. After Geum Bi wakes up from that fetal position slumber that her adoptive parents find so touching after their long night snuggled up together on the floor, she will spend the remaining span of her days in a near vegetative state.  That was the price she willingly accepted for turning back to life for one last exchange with the ones she loved. She had also,equally willingly, in her final meeting with the doctors, consented that if her body outlived her mind and personality, she would be the subject of scientific investigations, a human guinea pig, in effect, that might in the end help others afflicted with the same disease. Indeed with what little muscular strength she had left, she extracted a pinkie promise that they would indeed make use of her in that way. That's why the doctor returns Gang Hui's thanks for making it possible for Geum Bi to live to her 17th birthday by saying that he is hugely grateful to Geum Bi for enabling his research to progress as it has done in the meantime. 

That outcome is completely in keeping with the child's courage and generosity that Heo Jung Eun has done such an astonishing job of bringing home to us.  Geum Bi's character was uplifting precisely because the production made it so credible.  No-one with a shred of humanity could avoid shedding tears, but this drama was not at all a "tear-jerker", since that term implies deliberate manipulation of the viewers' emotions by devices that wouldn't withstand clear-sighted scrutiny.  Those Korean viewers who within minutes of the final credits were on-line consoling themselves with the notion that that "Geum Bi recovered enough to attend High School" are deluding themselves. She has the  uniform, because Hui Cheol knew, ever since overhearing that conversation with an imaginary older friend, how she had longed to go to high school, and anyone who manages to meet recent Kdrama requirements for lip-reading skills will realize the uniform was her last wish, but that's all. Her life as a conscious individual was over at the age of 10, after she finally fell asleep between her parents after their long night's last talk. She lives on in the memory of all those whose lives she touched, or even transformed, but the 17 year-old in the wheelchair is now just a shell, as the close-ups of her utterly expressionless face made plain. Those desolate closeups were the bedrock of this drama's unstinting honesty, but it's precisely that foundation of harsh and unrelenting truth that makes its vision of courage, hope and transforming love so plausible.  But "sweet?". 

Not to my palate, at any rate, and I for one am rather glad that's not the case.

16 minutes ago, baduy said:

I agree that the ending was both deeply moving and thought-provoking, and rounded of what was possibly the finest Kdrama I've ever seen in over a decade of addiction to these things.
But "sweet"? 

Reveal hidden contents

The reason I posted that translation of the warning Geum Bi receives from Jun Hui about what will happen after her next "sleep" is to point up a very sobering matter about the ending. After Geum Bi wakes up from that fetal position slumber that her adoptive parents find so touching after their long night snuggled up together on the floor, she will spend the remaining span of her days in a near vegetative state.  That was the price she willingly accepted for turning back to life for one last exchange with the ones she loved. She had also,equally willingly, in her final meeting with the doctors, consented that if her body outlived  her mind and personality, she would be the subject of scientific investigations, a human guinea pig, in effect, that might in the end help others afflicted with the same disease. Indeed with what little muscular strength she had left, she extracted a pinkie promise that they would indeed make use of her in that way. That's why the doctor returns Gang Hui's thanks for making it possible for Geum Bi to live to her 17th birthday by saying that he is hugely grateful to Geum Bi for enabling his research to progress as it has done in the meantime. 

That outcome is completely in keeping with the child's courage and generosity that Heo Jung Eun has done such an astonishing job of bringing home to us.  Geum Bi's character was uplifting precisely because the production made it so credible.  No-one with a shred of humanity could avoid shedding tears, but this drama was not at all a "tear-jerker", since that term implies deliberate manipulation of the viewers' emotions by devices that wouldn't withstand clear-sighted scrutiny.  Those Korean viewers who within minutes of the final credits were on-line consoling themslelves with the notion that that "Geum Bi recovered enough to attend High School" are deluding themselves. She has the  uniform, because Hui Cheol knew, after overhearing that conversation with an imaginary older friend, how she had longed to wear it, but that's all. Her life as a conscious indifividual was over at the night she finally fell asleep between her parents ad the age of 10. She lives on in the memory of all those whose lives she touched, or even transformed, but the 17 year-old in the wheelchair is now just a shell, as the close-ups of he utterly expressionless face made plain. Those desolate closeups were the bedrock of this drama's unstinting honesty, but it's precisely that foundation of harsh and unrelenting truth that makes its vision of courage, hope and transforming love so plausible.  But "sweet?". 

Not to my palate, at any rate, and I for one am rather glad that's not the case.

The ending its not only for geum bi but everyone else. Everyone got their life change. Chi Soo and the teacher got married and have a kid. Hwi Hul both in married and stop conning people. Joo Young has her parner as well.

Hwi Hul and Kang Hee seems happy, and there is a brother. Yes its sad for geum bi but people still living. Kang Hee has been sad and guilty for her sister death for years while now she can accept and cherish the moment with geum bi. Geum bi got to live few more years so her life has help the research as well. Geum Bi could feel happy when people she left behind are not alone, sad or doing something bad. If she dies younger, her memory of her people mostly was bad but she had few years to build happy memory with her people. The last picture is warming, geum bi is not alone, and the people around her are not alone. They could be sad that geum bi gone but they have someone to hold their hand. If geum bi dies the moment she was in hospital, thats a sad ending. But the last picture is a sweet ending. Geum Bi is gonna die, we all know from the start. But she has changed all of those people life, so even geum bi life was short, but it was meaningful.

The 17 year old geum bi was only show for a little bit, the last picture still little geum bi smiling.

Such a good acting job for a little girl.

But to be honest, I am so glad this drama is over.  From the episode 1 till the end, nothing bad sadness.  I knew from the beginning that it will not be the happy ending for someone who has such an illness, but nonetheless, it wasn't my usual choice of drama.  

I will missed this drama but im a little bit pissed that other drama like legend of blue will be 20 ep.I know the story can get better for this drama.Oh my geumbi is amazing.Its just the scene cut short.Some character a little bit missing like kang hee brother,kang hee friend the doctor.I just cannot stop from watching this drama.At the end i feel happy for them.I want to hug all of them for a good job especially geumbi.I hope this thread will be alive for a long time.:bawling:

Whatever words one uses to describe the ending, I say it is a darn good drama. I like an ending which has people finding their life partners or family or a home, especially those who did not have too many breaks in life. I like this ending. It is difficult to make a good drama out of an incurable illness inflicted on a small kid who is feisty, smart and so pretty. The ending gave hope, shows courage and loyalty. It is not mawkish with maudlin lines and thank heavens no instant miracle cure.

I was quite sceptical about Soompians claiming they cried buckets because I did not cry. It is a show that the writer wrote to make us cry. But when I finished epi 16, I realised that I had been crying. Aarrrghh I am just a softie like all of you.:bawling:

10 minutes ago, maribella said:

I was quite sceptical about Soompians claiming they cried buckets because I did not cry. It is a show that the writer wrote to make us cry. But when I finished epi 16, I realised that I had been crying. Aarrrghh I am just a softie like all of you.

I've kept quiet because I thought I was the only one not crying this whole time!  But 15 and 16 did make me cry a little. 

So I'm safe.  My heart is not made of stone after all.  Ha.

I liked the ending, though!  It was a good compromise between reality (harsh, harsh reality) and feel-good stuff.  I liked the scene (I don't remember if it was 15 or 16, since I just watched them both back-to-back...) with Geum Bi in her little world talking to her dad, while he walks with her on the beach, talking to her about normal things. 

I am a bit bothered by the "message from beyond" from Aunt Joon Hee, but it played out so nicely that I'll give it a pass.

One last BTS with Geum Bi and her mom. 

7sWisUH.jpg
source

I'm glad she made another appearance in ep 16, because I was kind of annoyed with her that she wasn't there at all when things started to get really bad.  Surely she could spare a few days to see her daughter before she forgets who she is entirely, right? 

And that final scene:

Spoiler

She kept coming back to that uniform, didn't she?  I forget, how did it first come up?  All I know is that she talked about it, dreamed about it/created an imaginary friend to talk to about it...I'm glad she got to wear it, finally.

I want to see more dramas like this, thought-provoking. Well writing story line with great actors. I'm looking forward to this little girls blosoming as an actress.

the ending was bitter sweet. I am happy that's she is still alive however she payed big price just to spend one last day with the people she loved. My heart strings where being pulled from every direction.

Archived