[Upcoming Movie 2017] Heart Blackened (previously Silent Witness) (Chimmookui Moggyukja) 침묵 - Park Shin Hye, Choi Min Sik, Ryoo Joon Yeol

Tiggie2

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 24, 2017

"Blackened Heart" drops new poster of main characters

Source: HanCinema.net

photo902479.jpg

As the release dates inches closer, "Blackened Heart" drops more and more scintillating material. This newest poster features the main cast, with Choi Min-sik looking grave beneath words that promise to get to the bottom of what happened the night his fiancée died.

Source: CJ Entertainment @cjenmmovie

A murdered fiancee, lawyer, witness, 
and a man chasing the truth.
Unpredictable tension! 
<Silence> Main poster release! 

October 25, 2017

Choi Min-sik, Lee Ha-nee play lovers in ‘Heart Blackened’

In the upcoming crime drama “Heart Blackened,” veteran actor Choi Min-sik plays the wealthy, elderly fiance of a young celebrity singer, played by Lee Ha-nee. 

Choi, who most recently starred in “The Mayor,” plays the unfathomable conglomerate owner Im Tae-san who at once values wealth above all and is deeply infatuated with the singer. 

“(That character) truly believes in the value of money, that it is everything. That is how the world actually works, and he is a character who has succeeded in that world,” Choi said after a press screening Tuesday at CGV Yongsan. 

Choi Min-sik (left) and Lee Ha-nee star in “Heart Blackened.” (CJ Entertainment)

Choi was vocal in his praise of actress Lee. “To be honest, I was worried at first. But I was very surprised. I felt that she understands pain. I fell in love with her during the filming, with the depth and breadth of her heart,” he said.

Actress Lee plays Yu-na, a jazz singer with an uncomfortable past. There is friction between her and her fiance’s daughter Mi-ra, played by Lee Soo-kyung, and Yu-na is found dead in front of her apartment building.

“The film is a mature story about mature adults,” said Lee. “I saw in (actor Choi) a man I could love.” 

Ryu Jun-yeol plays Kim Dong-myung, a fervent fan of Yu-na who collects CCTV footage of the singer. 

“At times it is extreme and morally wrong, but (the character) only thought of that person and his choices were driven by love,” said Ryu. 

Park Shin-hye plays Kim Hee-jung, a lawyer hired to defend the rebellious daughter. 

Park expressed joy at acting alongside Choi. “It was something I had only dreamed of. I didn’t know what to do,” she said. 

From left: Director Jung Ji-woo, Jo Han-cheol, Lee Soo-kyung, Park Hae-joon, Lee Ha-nee, Ryu Jun-yeol and Choi Min-sik attend a press conference for “Heart Blackened” Tuesday at Yongsan CGV. (Yonhap)

The film is the latest work by director Jung Ji-woo, who, in 2012 helmed the controversial “A Muse” about a romance between a 70-year-old poet and high school student. 

Jung also directed the 2015 drama “4th Place,” which won an award at the Busan Film Critics Awards. 

“Heart Blackened” is a remake of the 2013 Chinese film “Silent Witness,” written and directed by Fei Xing. 

The film, a Yong Film production and distributed by CJ Entertainment, hits local theaters on Nov. 2. 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com

October 26, 2017

Movie Review

'Heart Blackened': A twisty, enthralling mystery that ends flat

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, Oct. 26 (Yonhap) -- Writer-director Jung Ji-woo's latest film "Heart Blackened" is a twisty and enthralling mystery, but its viewers could ultimately be disappointed a little bit.

For more than 1 1/2 hours, it is a gripping, twisty and exciting story about a father who will do anything to clear his only daughter of charges of killing her would-be stepmother. The movie is so deftly written that it keeps you constantly guessing, but the wheels get shaky in the last 30 minutes.

In the end, the villain delivers an exposition to fill in the blanks when most viewers may already have finished unraveling the mystery by recontextualizing information they previously had. And as many Korean films do in climax scenes, a flashback is accompanied by grand music apparently intended to induce an emotional overflow.

An official trailer of "Heart Blackened," released by CJ Entertainment (Yonhap) Watch on Youtube

Choi Min-sik is the father named Im Tae-san, a business tycoon whose beautiful fiance and famous singer Yuna (Lee Honey) is killed after going out to meet Im's daughter at a night club upon receiving an abrupt call from her. While Im Mi-ra (Lee Su-gyeong), the daughter, is the prime suspect, Tae-san is driven to action to prove her innocence.

As every bit of evidence points to Mi-ra killing Yuna out of hatred toward her, Tae-san hires Choi Hee-jung (Park Shin-hye), a young rookie lawyer who was Mi-ra's tutor before, as the defense lawyer. But Mi-ra, who was dead drunk, cannot remember anything about what happened that night except that she argued with the father's fiance at the night club.

This photo released by CJ Entertainment shows a scene from "Heart Blackened." (Yonhap)

This photo released by CJ Entertainment shows a scene from "Heart Blackened." (Yonhap)

As Hee-jung strives to prove Mi-ra's innocence against Prosecutor Dong Seong-sik (Park Hae-jun) in the courtroom, things take a turn in an unexpected way with the appearance of Kim Dong-myeong (Ryu Jun-yeol), the only witness in the murder case.

"Heart Blackened" plays out like a crime novel, with twists that twist back on themselves and red herrings that end up revealing more than anyone imagined. It is the sort of story that does not demand the big screen. But there's a particular cinematic quality to the movie, some of which comes from the remarkably nuanced performance by Choi Min-sik as a man who has complex emotions but hardly reveals his deepest thoughts. He is portrayed as a cold-hearted businessman who, without hesitation, chooses to use evidence that would adversely affect his daughter's case simply because it can make money, but his true mind is revealed only in the end.

It is the seventh feature film by veteran director Jung Ji-woo, best known for "Happy End" (1999), "Blossom Again" (2005) and "Eungyo" (2012). His previous work, "Fourth Place," received favorable reviews from both critics and audiences when it was released in South Korea last year.

He told reporters after a media preview of "Heart Blackened" on Tuesday that he wanted to show that what we see and believe to be the truth might turn out to be false.

"I also wanted to portray my belief that people, if they don't give up efforts to improve, can eventually come to maturity even though many of their defects may keep coming up in the process."

The new CJ Entertainment film is set to open in local theaters Nov. 2.

sshim@yna.co.kr

October 26, 2017

Yonhap Interview

Actor Choi Min-sik: I'm motivated solely by self-interest

By Shim Sun-ah and Cho Jae-young

SEOUL, Oct. 26 (Yonhap) -- Choi Min-sik is arguably one of the most influential actors in Korea. In "Heart Blackened," a mystery thriller set to open on Nov. 2, he plays Im Tae-san, a business tycoon who will do anything to clear his only daughter of charges of killing her would-be stepmother, Im's beautiful pop diva fiance.

It is a character full of hypocrisy and twisted desire, a snob whose motto is "money is the truth." But if you go one step closer, you will find a middle-aged man who loves his daughter and has a pure love for a woman. So because of his varied appearance, his heart is hard to guess till the last minute.

Choi said he was drawn to the movie's plot -- that a perfect man ironically comes to realize the value of things around him only after losing them all.

This photo provided by CJ Entertainment shows actor Choi Min-sik (Yonhap)

"The man who has known nothing but money belatedly comes to realize that money is nothing, and I wanted to express such a feeling," the gray-haired actor said during an interview with Yonhap News Agency at a Seoul cafe on Thursday.

In the new film, he showed good chemistry with Lee Honey, the lead actress who is more than 20 years his junior.

"At first, I had some prejudice about Lee. I was not sure if my melodramatic acting with her would be fine or not. But it turned out that she is an actress with a deep understanding of the world, people and human relationships beyond her years. I was surprised to see her expressing very subtle feelings between men and women."

"Heart Blackened" is Choi's first collaboration with director Jung Ji-woo after "Happy End" 18 years ago. The veteran actor was also reunited with Im Seung-yong, chief executive officer of Yong Films, for the new movie. Im produced Choi's best known film "Old Boy" by director Park Chan-wook.

"When I was reunited with my former coworkers after a long time, I felt sad and a little bit bitter," he said. "Eighteen years is never a short time, and I think the fact that we can meet and work together again is the attraction of movies."

Questioned about what drives him to stick to acting for such a long time, Choi pointed out his sympathy for all types of characters that he acted.

"I feel sympathy for every character that I have played, even if they are bad people," he said, "And I think that sort of mindset pushed me to stay in the job."

Although he did many films, box office performance has always been a big burden to him.

His 2013 historical drama "Roaring Currents" became the most-viewed Korean film ever by selling 17.6 million tickets, but his recent works such as "The Tiger" and "The Mayor" were box office failures.

"The taste of the audience is variable, and the box office is like a sort of floating cloud.

Aiming for box office success is like pursuing the illusion. So I solely pursue my own interest. I mean I do movies that can satisfy and attract myself." He then asked his own question, "What would be the meaning of doing this if I'm not crazy about my own works?"

sshim@yna.co.kr

October 27, 2017

Yonhap Interview

Actress Park Shin-hye: 'Blandness may be my strength'

By Shim Sun-ah and Cho Jae-young

SEOUL, Oct. 27 (Yonhap) -- In the 2012 box-office smash comedy "Miracle in Cell No. 7," Park Shin-hye played her first-ever lawyer role as the grown-up Ye-seung, who helps vindicate her mentally retarded father from the false charges of raping and killing a young girl.

The actress returned to the same occupation with the forthcoming courtroom film "Heart Blackened" about a business tycoon who struggles to clear his only daughter of the suspicion of killing his top-star singer fiance. Park plays Choi Hee-jung, the lawyer who defends the daughter in the murder trial.

"It wasn't easy because it was my first role as a lawyer in a long time," Park said during an interview with Yonhap News Agency at a cafe in central Seoul on Thursday. "While there was clear evidence that the dad was innocent in 'Miracle,' in 'Heart Blackened,' I was in a situation of 'having to' prove somebody's innocence. So when I stood trial as Hee-jung, things felt awkward and unfamiliar for me."

This photo provided by CJ Entertainment shows actress Park Shin-hye. (Yonhap)

The 27-year-old actress has played a wide range of professions in big and small screens from doctor and journalist to judo coach, building an image as a smart and confident girl. But she said no when asked if her personality in real life is the same. "In fact, I'm a wishy-washy person," she said.

"Whatever work I do, I tend to do it fast and accurately, but when it comes to fields that I don't know about well, I prefer to just listen. However, since I'm an inquisitive person, I like looking for how-to knowledge on everything and life tips."

Park says her new film will keep viewers constantly guessing with multiple twists and turns. And in the end, they might feel like being stabbed in the back, "just like when they found out that the answer they thought was right was in fact wrong."

Debuting as a child actor at age 13 with her appearance in the music video of singer Lee Seung-hwan's "Flower" in 2003, she gained fame for playing the childhood years of the lead actress Choi Ji-woo's character in the SBS TV series "Stairway to Heaven." Park later co-starred in the TV series "You're Beautiful" with Jang Keun-suk and appeared in the 2012 film "Miracle in Cell No. 7." She rose to international stardom for her lead roles in the TV series "Heirs" and "Pinocchio." These days she makes four to five trips a year to other Asian countries like Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines and Taiwan, to meet her international fans.

"I was surprised to see so many fans recognized me when I visited Japan on a personal trip," she said. "I think fans like me because of my healthy, bright and cheerful energy."

The actress singled out her "blandness" as her strong point.

"I do not actually have a strong nose, a sharp jaw line or a model's body shape, you know. I'm not glamorous and a bit bland, but I think that's my strength," she said. "That may be a reason behind what people say is my good chemistry with many actors."

The new film, also starring Choi Min-sik, Lee Honey, Lee Su-gyeong, Park Hae-jun and Ryu Jun-yeol, is set to open in local theaters next Thursday.

sshim@yna.co.kr

October 29, 2017

Park Shin-hye discusses difficulties of fame

Park Shin-hye is beloved among local and international fans for her wholesome and vivacious image but the actress says it is not always fun and games in the entertainment business.

In a recent interview with local media, she said that she barely slept while shooting a movie or a drama, worrying about how it will be received.

Park Shin-hye (Yonhap)

“I may look like I float graciously like a swan on a lake, but I’m kicking as hard as I can below the surface. ... I think it’s the same for every (actor),” she said. 

Park added that she does have ups and downs in her life, but she has generally been happy with her career.

She will star in the upcoming flick “Heart Blackened.” The film is about a business tycoon struggling to clear his daughter of murder, with the victim being his singer fiance.

Park plays the daughter’s lawyer, Choi Hee-jung.

(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

October 30

Events Canceled Out Of Respect Following Kim Joo Hyuk’s Passing

Source: Soompi by S. Park

Kim-Joo-Hyuk.png

Many events have been canceled following the news of actor Kim Joo Hyuk’s passing.

Actors Choi Min Sik, Park Shin Hye, and Ryu Jun Yeol were scheduled for a V Live broadcast this afternoon for their film “Silent Witness” (also known as “Blackened Heart”), but canceled the broadcast.

The VIP premiere and red carpet event for the film were also canceled. Production company Yong Film had produced Kim Joo Hyuk’s film “Drug War” prior to producing “Silent Witness” and those at the company are said to be in shock after hearing about his passing.

Actress Nam Ji Hyun‘s scheduled V Live at 7 p.m. KST was also canceled, along with the VIP premiere and red carpet event for film “Brother” starring Ma Dong Suk, Honey Lee, and Lee Dong Hwi.

Girl group LOONA has also canceled a planned V Live broadcast following the news.

According to the Gangnam Police Department, Kim Joo Hyuk was involved in a car accident where his car flipped over on a road in the Seoul neighborhood of Samseong on October 30. He passed away at 6:30 p.m. KST.

Source (1) (2)

Archived