[Upcoming Movie 2017] Heart Blackened (previously Silent Witness) (Chimmookui Moggyukja) 침묵 - Park Shin Hye, Choi Min Sik, Ryoo Joon Yeol

Tiggie2

Source: Screen Anarchy‏ @ScreenAnarchy

November 1, 2017

Review: HEART BLACKENED 

Well-Acted SILENT WITNESS Remake Emits Cool Pulse
Director Jung Ji-woo's polished new offering features an unflappable Choi Min-sik leading a strong cast.

Pierce Conran ScreenAnarchy
CONTRIBUTOR; SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (@PIERCECONRAN)

2017-heart-blackened.jpg

Chinese court thriller Silent Witness gets a sober and effective Korean update with Heart Blackened, a polished new offering from Eungyo director Jung Ji-woo that features an unflappable Choi Min-sik leading a strong cast. More serious and thus more drawn out than its rapid fire original, the film packs a solid emotional punch in its twisty climax.

When a famous singer dies, all signs point to the daughter of her fiancé Tae-san, the much older CEO of a corporate empire. Tae-san hires defense attorney Hee-jeong to clear her daughter's name, who begins to unearth some surprising evidence from the night of the crime.

In Fei Xing's original, which was viewed by some as a turning point for modern Mainland Chinese thrillers, the pace was relentless and, while often entertaining, the heightened tone bordered on the ridiculous. From a director known for his piercing human dramas, Heart Blackened is more restrained in its approach, as it lops off some of the theatrics and scales down the media storm. It's also far more focused, as it affords viewers the time to soak up the character dynamics that are crucial to accepting the film's twist and turns.

What's more, the perceived weaknesses of Silent Witness' climax are turned into a strength here, as the film builds towards a reveal rather than ambush its audience with it, not that it won't come as a surprise to most.

In his second leading role this year, following The Mayor, in which he played another high-powered individual who may or may not be operating on the wrong side of the law, Choi exudes gravitas as his ever stoic exterior tries to hold his inner turmoil at bay. We've seen Choi plays this kind of character before, but whereas most of his recent protagonists have been quite shady, Choi capably keeps the audience guessing as to the true intentions of the shrewd Tae-san.

Alongside Choi, hugely popular actress Park Shin-hye takes on the most mature and difficult role of her career. However, having shot her part at the tender age of 26, it would be a stretch to say that she's entirely convincing as the attorney. She gives Hee-jeong her all and the character is well written, but it's a gamble that never fully pays off. That said, it is easily her most impressive performance to date, and should tee her up for more exciting projects in the future.

Following scene-stealing roles in The King and A Taxi Driver this year, superstar-in-the-making Ryu Jun-yeol is once again on point as a mysterious young fan of the deceased singer. He gets most of the laughs in a relatively dry story, but the part isn't quite on par with his prior 2017 hits. Meanwhile, Park Hae-joon is suitably blustery as the prosecutor while Lee Ha-nui (aka Lee Honey) gracefully breathes life into her brief role as the murdered singer.

Filtered through the blues and grays of the gleaming Gangnam district, Seoul's most affluent neighborhood, Heart Blackened exudes a cool and cold energy throughout, partly owed to its wintertime production. Borrowing from the strengths of the original and building upon some of its flaws while folding in a uniquely Korean feel, Jung Ji-woo gives this pulpy tale renewed dramatic weight.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 3, 2017

Choi's 'Heart Blackened' chases after 'Thor: Ragnarok'

choi(2).jpg
A still from "Heart Blackened" / Courtesy of CJ Entertainment

By Kim Jae-heun The Korea Times

Veteran actor Choi Min-shik returns to the screen in the crime drama "Heart Blackened" that opened in local theaters Friday. 

Starting out slowly, the film ranked third at the box office following the "The Bros" and "Thor: Ragnarok." 

The film "Heart Blackened" is Choi's second appearance on the screen this year after "The Mayor" that was released in April and he was reunited with the director Jung Ji-woo and the producer he met while shooting "Oldboy" (2003) for the new movie. 

"I chose to star in Heart Blackened because I had no doubt about the movie with director Jung. We had a producer here that I worked with when I shot Oldboy. I felt like I was working with old fellow soldiers," said Choi during the press preview for the film at CGV Yongsan in Seoul, Oct. 24. "I just wanted to get involved just so the story is honest." 

The film is about a successful businessman, Im Tae-san, trying to solve the murder of his fiancee, who was allegedly killed by Im's daughter. Im hires a lawyer to clear his daughter's name. The film is a remake of the Chinese movie "Silent Witness." 

"The story is about a guy who owns a lot of things and is throwing himself into ruin. It's quite ironic. If Im was a middle class person, the story would not have been so dramatic. Im's wealth plays the role of important leverage in the story, said Choi. 

Choi's latest hit-film "The Admiral: Roaring Currents" in 2014 was seen by 17.6 million viewers and became the most-watched and highest-grossing film of all time in Korea. 

The veteran actor says he feels burdened making another successful piece such as the naval war film and Choi believes it was only possible because he had acted in the role of such a highly respected national hero. 

"I enjoyed the extravagance when I acted in the role of the admiral in the war film but this time it's just me. I have to like the role to do it. I still have the same idea that I have to be selfish in this case," said Choi. 

Choi added that making a box office hit is like trying to hold on to an illusion but it doesn't mean he is irresponsible. The veteran actor expressed he is satisfied with everything in the film and with his colleagues and the box office tally does not always accord with his expectations. Choi picks many elements that constitute success and failure including timing and ways of communicating. However, he believes making films should be natural and it is wrong to plan to make a successful film in the first place. 

"The size of the movie does not matter and it is meaningless if I am not engrossed in the work. I do this job because I get involved like a crazy man. I do it because I like it and to feel satisfied. If I am satisfied then I am good," said Choi. 

Other actors starring in the film include Park Shin-hye, Ryu Jun-yeol and Lee Ha-nui. 

jhkim@ktimes.com 

November 4, 2017

Bringing a human touch to the screen :

After years of playing strong characters, Choi Min-sik is ready to show his softer side

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

03222440.jpg

Left: Actor Choi Min-sik is ready to make movies for the sake of art. Right: A scene from “Heart Blackened,” featuring Choi as a wealthy CEO who has it all until his fiancee is murdered. [MAGAZINE M, JOONGANG ILBO]

Looking over the roles Choi Min-sik has played in films such as “Happy End” (1999), “Failan” (2001), “Old Boy” (2003) and “Roaring Currents” (2014), his role in the newly-released “Heart Blackened” seems like quite a departure.

“Like a lion prowling around in search for its prey, it is an actor’s instinct to wander around looking for different moods and emotions,” Choi said. “I want to experience acting in new realms of the film industry.”

The legal thriller, directed by Jung Ji-woo, has Choi playing the complicated Im Tae-san, the CEO of a big conglomerate. When his superstar singer fiancee Yuna is murdered, his daughter from a previous marriage becomes the lead suspect.

The movie leaves viewers pondering the concept of truth. Audiences will be left guessing who the murderer is after each twist and turn of the story. The character who provides the most drama is Im, who deliberately goes back and forth between the truth and lies.

Choi said, “I tried my hardest to concentrate only on the plot and the character’s emotions. I discussed them a lot with the director,” during an interview with JoongAng Ilbo, an affiliate of Korea JoongAng Daily in Samcheong-dong, central Seoul. The following are edited excerpts.

Q. With what plans did you participate in this film?

A. The director and I shared exactly the same thoughts about how to adapt the original Chinese film “The Silent Witness” (2013). Instead of only emphasizing the mystery-thriller side, we both thought the adaptation should also focus on the humanity of the characters as well. We wanted to talk about the pain and sufferings people go through [after a murder] in a humane way.

Since the plot has so many twists and turns, the acting must have been difficult. How did you do it?

I received a lot of help from Jung. We sure talked a lot. At the end of the day, I was so tired from the shoot, but Jung made me stay to discuss my character. Personalities like Im give off the vibe of a cool-headed businessman who has a natural instinct to figure out his options and make up solutions no matter what kind of obstacle comes in his way. I interpreted him that way, instead of him being shaken and hurt by his pain. For the rest, I let Im take over me, and immersed myself in the plot and the emotions.

What are your standards for picking out a piece that you want to be involved in?

It is the actor’s natural tendency to find new genres to participate in, like a lion who roams around in search of his food. It’s that impulsive. It’s also why I wanted to focus more on the human element of the movie. I liked that better than the movie just turning into a heartless thriller about finding the real culprit.

What kind of roles do you want to play in the future?

I want to play ordinary people rather than parts that are meant to merely entertain the viewers. I’m now veering towards genres about humanity and literature, to express my thoughts about personal relationships and the bonds that connect two people together.

Wouldn’t those “humane” roles affect box-office records in a negative way?

I think that what’s really important is how well-made the works are. Of course, I would not be able to ignore practical conditions like the distributing agency or the time of its premiere, but if the substance of the film is sincere, the public will watch it. The audience wants the creators to pour in all they have into the films, so it’s up to us to work with zest and passion. From now on, I want to try out more roles that fit my personal tastes. I will show all I’ve got, and when it is released, I want to be able to say, “Hey, I portrayed my character this way. Whether you watch it or not is up to you.” The direction for my future career is finally set. 

BY KIM HO-JEONG [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

November 3, 2017

[USA] "Heart Blackened" stars Choi Min-sik and Park Shin-hye / Releases Nov. 10 in LA and Buena Park

Source: CJ Entertainment via HanCinema.net

photo905332.jpg

Limited Release Starts November 10 at CGV Cinemas Los Angeles and CGV Buena Park

"Heart Blackened", a new crime thriller starring Choi Min-sik ("Old Boy", "I Saw the Devil") and Park Shin-hye ("My Annoying Brother", "The Royal Tailor") is premiering in Los Angeles and Buena Park on November 10, 2017 at CGV Cinemas. The film is produced by the same team that brought the world "Old Boy" and "The Handmaiden".

"Heart Blackened" follows Tae-san (Choi Min-sik), a man who truly has everything - money, fame, and power. He has two women in his life, his only daughter, Mi-ra (Lee Soo-kyung), and his chart- topping pop star fiancée, Yoo-na (Lee Honey). Mi-ra doesn't take kindly to her stepmother-to-be and when Yoo-na gets killed in a horrific accident, Mi-ra is arrested as the suspect. His world completely turned upside down, Tae-san firmly believes that his daughter is not the killer and mobilizes all his resources to protect her, including hiring Choi Hee-jeong (Park Shin-hye), a lawyer to defend his daughter in court. Meanwhile he orchestrates a risky plan to find his fiancée's real killer.

This film is distributed by CJ Entertainment, directed by Jeong Ji-woo ("A Muse", "Modern Boy"), and also stars Ryu Jun-yeol ("A Taxi Driver", "The King") and Lee Honey ("Fabricated City", "Tazza: The Hidden Card").

[Video] Audiences rave over Choi Min-sik, Park Shin-hye, Ryu Jun-yeol's "Heart Blackened"

Source | 2017/11/03 | 1309 views | Permalink | posterphoto905846.jpg

"Heart Blackened" is getting the thumbs from movie-goers. Check out their rave reviews.

"Heart Blackened" (2017)

Directed by Jeong Ji-woo

With Choi Min-sikPark Shin-hyeRyu Jun-yeolLee HoneyPark Hae-joonJo Han-chul,...

Also known as "The Silent Witness", "Silence" and "Blackened Heart"
Synopsis
A remake of the Chinese film "Silent Witness", "Blackened Heart" is the story of a chaebol whose fiancée was murdered and of his daughter who is named the killer.

Release date in Korea : 2017/11/02

The original Silent Witness 全民目击 is among my favourite C-movies ever, never failing to grip and shatter me each time I watch. As such, I have been truly anticipating this remake since it was first announced. Very glad to hear the good reviews for Heart Blackened, as well as strong endorsements from celebrities who have watched. Can't wait to catch it!

Film Review: Heart Blackened

A sensational Korean trial makes for a fairly riveting cinematic ride, with its very own touches of that infamous gangnam style.

By David Noh  Nov 10, 2017

heart_blackened_md.png

This rousing courtroom drama from writer-director Jung Ji-woo is a remake of Silent Witness, and features veteran Korean actor Choi Min-sik as Im Tae-san, a corporate magnate whose much younger fiancée, singing pop sensation Yuna (Lee Ha-nui), is killed in a mysterious auto crash. Adding more scandal to a story that is tabloid-ready, the murder suspect is Im’s own daughter Mira (Lee Soo-kyung), who’d made no bones about her hatred of her future stepmother. Im puts his faith in the female defense lawyer, Hee-jeong (Park Shin-hye), he has hired to clear his daughter’s name. Meanwhile, Yuna’s obsessed stalker of a fan (Ryu Jun-yeol) comes up with some surprising answers in the case himself.

Jung has given his film a gleaming, ultra-modern production, which captures all the glitz and skin-deep glamour of South Korea today, all K-pop, gangnam style and pretty—often surgically Westernized—faces. He’s attentive to the drama of these intertwined—sometimes inappropriately so—colorful personalities, all of whom we see with their back hair down, for better or worse, and the denouement at the trial is filled with more satisfying twists than a box of pretzels.

Korean women are nothing if not formidable, and this film positively radiates with so much beautifully vibrant estrogen in the lithe forms of Misses Lee and Park, who seize their nervous, urban roles here and merrily act the living daylights out of them. That solid journeyman of an actor, Choi, gives an impressive performance, with just the right amount of gravitas riddled with deep inner turmoil. Rising star Ryu provides considerable goofy comic relief from what is essentially quite a dark, grim tale.

source : http://www.filmjournal.com/reviews/film-review-heart-blackened

Box Office per Nov 14 for Heart Blackened

credit to the owner

On 11/15/2017 at 3:12 AM, Agie said:

Film Review: Heart Blackened

A sensational Korean trial makes for a fairly riveting cinematic ride, with its very own touches of that infamous gangnam style.

By David Noh  Nov 10, 2017

This rousing courtroom drama from writer-director Jung Ji-woo is a remake of Silent Witness, and features veteran Korean actor Choi Min-sik as Im Tae-san, a corporate magnate whose much younger fiancée, singing pop sensation Yuna (Lee Ha-nui), is killed in a mysterious auto crash. Adding more scandal to a story that is tabloid-ready, the murder suspect is Im’s own daughter Mira (Lee Soo-kyung), who’d made no bones about her hatred of her future stepmother. Im puts his faith in the female defense lawyer, Hee-jeong (Park Shin-hye), he has hired to clear his daughter’s name. Meanwhile, Yuna’s obsessed stalker of a fan (Ryu Jun-yeol) comes up with some surprising answers in the case himself.

Jung has given his film a gleaming, ultra-modern production, which captures all the glitz and skin-deep glamour of South Korea today, all K-pop, gangnam style and pretty—often surgically Westernized—faces. He’s attentive to the drama of these intertwined—sometimes inappropriately so—colorful personalities, all of whom we see with their back hair down, for better or worse, and the denouement at the trial is filled with more satisfying twists than a box of pretzels.

Korean women are nothing if not formidable, and this film positively radiates with so much beautifully vibrant estrogen in the lithe forms of Misses Lee and Park, who seize their nervous, urban roles here and merrily act the living daylights out of them. That solid journeyman of an actor, Choi, gives an impressive performance, with just the right amount of gravitas riddled with deep inner turmoil. Rising star Ryu provides considerable goofy comic relief from what is essentially quite a dark, grim tale.

source : http://www.filmjournal.com/reviews/film-review-heart-blackened

Box Office per Nov 14 for Heart Blackened

credit to the owner

@AgieDo you have an updated information about the movie ,  how is doing in Korea? I will tell you all about LA later! It is all good! :D

Archived